Ed Schultz literally on the union payroll?

posted at 5:25 pm on March 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

This is one story I’m going to need some help with, because clearly some of my preconceived notions about the nature of the media universe have been tossed into the dust bin. Jack Coleman did a little digging into the Department of Labor, which reports the financial activities of labor unions, including who is on their payroll. What he came up with regarding one very lucky “employee” should have some jaws dropping across the political world. The “employee” in question is none other than MSNBC shouter and syndicated radio host Ed Schultz.

In fiscal 2011, Schultz received $190,000 from the Communications Workers of America for what the U.S. Department of Labor categorized as “representational activities.”

For swag like that, you’d think Schultz could at least get it right about the CWA name. Instead, he invariably refers to it as the “Communication” Workers of America when its president, Larry Cohen, is a guest on Schultz’s radio show, as Cohen often is.

Schultz also received $9,900 in fiscal 2011 from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), putting his union haul for the year at almost $200,000.

This represented a fivefold increase over the $37,350 Schultz received from unions in fiscal 2010 — $15,000 from the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), $14,850 from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and $7,500 from the Communications Workers of America.

Click through for the full list of payments which Schultz had been pocketing from a variety of unions going back to the earliest days of his radio career. The grand total is well over a quarter million dollars. There is little indication as to precisely what Schultz is doing which qualifies as “administrative work” for the unions in question. The guy is on the air pretty much constantly, so I’m not sure how he finds time to zip over the local union hall and sort time cards or fill out insurance forms or whatever it is he’s supposed to be doing.

Now, maybe I’m totally off base here, but if there’s isn’t something going on in this story that’s illegal, isn’t there at least something that’s against the rules? Schultz talks about unions constantly in his “reporting” on MSNBC, and has gone so far as to fly out to Minnesota to lead the union faithful in a rally against Scott Walker. I’m no expert, but if you’re reporting and providing expert opinion commentary on a story like that, shouldn’t you be mentioning that they gave you two hundred grand?

I’m just a blogger, and nobody else is paying me, but when an outside interest – such as an energy company – even pays for travel and lodging expenses to go cover a story somewhere, I can’t even put up a post here without stipulating that they covered such expenses. Doesn’t that apply to the political media? I seem to recall MSNBC suspending Scarborough just for writing some contribution checks to friends and family members running for local offices. But they don’t make Schultz disclose taking in this kind of a haul from groups which he then goes out and uses a very large national megaphone to support?

My first thought was, this has to be a different Ed Schultz, right? I mean, it’s not that uncommon of a name, after all. But the author apparently contacted the labor department for confirmation and got it. Also, in addition to “administrative” duties, some of the payments list Schultz’s work as “broadcasting.” But we’ll leave the door open for now to the possibility that it’s a mix-up.

I hope someone else can explain this better than I. I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.

(EDIT: “jaws” would be much better than “draws” I suppose)

Comments

Ed Schultz literally on the union payroll?
… as an msnbc [M(ore)S(ocialism)from N(itwit)B(iased-socialist)C(lowns)] leftist hate-monger he is as close to a d-cRAT socialist politician as anyone could be, so OF COURSE he’s on the union payroll.

TeaPartyNation on March 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

M oonbats
S pouting
N othing
B ut
C rap

…and getting richly rewarded by American Unions to do so.

Go figure.

FlatFoot on March 9, 2012 at 5:29 PM

They don’t call them union “rackets” for nothing.

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

“draws” should be “jaws”

mydh12 on March 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I don’t know if it’s illegal … but if it is Eric Holder will simply make it legal.

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:31 PM

If he had less weight, and more hair on the sides, he’d be Larry Fine.

Ward Cleaver on March 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I wonder about other MSNBC hacks … who else is getting paid.

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Jazz, you must have forgotten what planet you live on. I read a book the other day titled “Rules That Apply To Liberals”. It was a single peice of paper. The front had the title on it, the backside said “This page intentionally left blank”.

[btw, why do people put that phrase into documents? I mean, the instant you start typing it, it becomes a lie]

BobMbx on March 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.

All you have to do is be liberal, Jazz.

gryphon202 on March 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Gosh, you’re nieve, Jazz. Don’t you know that laws and rules don’t apply to dhimocrapts, liberals, unions, and manbc? Laws and rules only apply to republicans and conservatives. Sshultz will probably win the nobel peace prize for his paid efforts – either that or the bullshitzer prize for journolism.

Old Country Boy on March 9, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Well that sure makes my draw drop.

LiberalGenius on March 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

He wanted to be like Obama.

RBMN on March 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.

bbbuuuuttt…bbbuutt…buutt..Cheney worked for Halliburton and Bush used to hold Saudi King’s hand and Palin works for FOX and Rush said …….

burrata on March 9, 2012 at 5:36 PM

“Look for the Union label”

AND DON’T BUY IT!

They’re using your consumer dollars to feed the squawking moonbats that are he|| bent on destroying this country from within.

FlatFoot on March 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Say it ain’t so Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on March 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM

“I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.”

Oh come on, really. You mean you *really* don’t know that if you’re on the left, no rules apply and no rules will ever be enforced?

If you need proof, just look at this story again.

It flows from the basic tenets of leftist morality. They are simple. And I don’t mean this as hyperbole, this is how every leftist I have even known views the world and the people in it.

Basic belief 1) I am GOOD, therefore anything I do is GOOD, and everything my friends do is also GOOD, because I am only friends with GOOD people.

Basic Belief 2) My political enemies are EVIL, and therefore everything they do is EVIL, and anyone who is friends with them is EVIL.

There are three rather simple corollaries to these rules.

Corollary 1: Since everything I do is GOOD, then things like rules and laws are not meant to apply to me. They are only meant to apply to the EVIL people who are my enemies. Therefore I can be vigilant in enforcing them for others while simultaneously never worrying about following them myself.

Corollary 2: GOOD people like me should only be judged by the intent of our hearts, not our actions. EVIL people like my enemies must always be judged harshly by their actions, since I already know their hearts are EVIL.

Corollary 3: Anything done to achieve my political goals is by definition the Greatest Good of all, and takes priority over any rules, laws, or other hindrances. Likewise, anyone who acts to block my political goals is guilty of the greatest Evil imaginable, and must be persecuted. This also counts as Good, by definition.

——————————————————

When you accept the fact that every leftist deeply and devoutly believes this in their hearts and approaches the world every day with this point of view, everything you see in this world today will make perfect sense.

Call Ed Shultz “Exhibit A”.

Tom Servo on March 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

One word:

PAYOLA!!

JohnGalt23 on March 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Does Schultz ever appear as a guest commentator on NBC broadcast television shows like “Meet the Press” or “Today”? The FCC would have power to raise a ruckus if his payments from unions affected broadcast television as opposed to cable.

J.S.K. on March 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Just lean forward, Ed. This might sting a little….

EMD on March 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Who? Is this that Beckel guy?

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Nothing from the International Brotherhood of Moronic Blowhards?

Smedley on March 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Shouldn’t Schultz inform his audience that he’s a paid union hack?

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Who? Is this that Beckel guy?

BHO Jonestown on March 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

No, Schultz is the other fat guy.

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Wasn’t there a payola “scandal” back in the Bush days?

google says – The Bushists paid Armstrong Williams, Maggie Gallagher, and Michael McManus to shill for their programs.

I’m betting that there are probably quite a few on point quotes from liberals around 2005 blasting the practice.

rw on March 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

are unions 501(c)(4)’s? if so did they get the IRS letter?

I’ll get the shovel out and post back…

teejk on March 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Who…?

Seven Percent Solution on March 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Ed Schultz, just another, in a long line of fat lazy pigs with their snouts in the trough.

Thomas More on March 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM

“I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.”

If you need proof, just look at this story again.

There are three rather simple corollaries to these rules.

——————————————————

Call Ed Shultz “Exhibit A”.

Tom Servo on March 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

On point.

visions on March 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Was going to call him a Union Slut. . . but . .

Then I realized he is paid for his services, so then I thought about calling him a Union Whore.

But for $200K?

He is now a high end Union Escort. Only available for use by the 1%.

majordomomojo on March 9, 2012 at 5:49 PM

rw on March 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Oddly, they’re silent now.

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:50 PM

s l u t !

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Unions are wasting their money, on the 2nd least influential person in the world-Ed Schultz.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Well he certainly looks just like a typical union thug that would be paid to elbow someone in the head at a town hall meeting or wrestle a camera away from a citizen journalist down by the docks.

ardenenoch on March 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Doesn’t that apply to the political media?

Rules only apply to the right. The left gets a waiver.

Grunt on March 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Since Ed is obviously not a woman, I’m assuming we’re in the clear to call him a union whore. Right?

rockhead on March 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

We already knew that the mainstream media was on Obama’s payroll so why should this come as any surprise?

bandutski on March 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Special Ed is important only in his warped, twisted tiny little mind. He’s one of those people who brighten up a room – when he leaves it. But then, he’s probably just a teeny-weeny bit more important than Rachel Madcow. I’d rather watch Jack LaLanne Power Juicer infomercials than those two air heads. By the way, I think I just saw Keith Olberdork selling pencils on the street corner.

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

rockhead on March 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

For Schultz, “whore” would be a step up.

RBMN on March 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

s l u t !

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I recall from about three months they were proudly holding slut walks. What changed?

DanMan on March 9, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Special Ed ain’t as dumb as he looks (and sounds). He’s a cash machine.

StevC on March 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Bye, Ed.

Key West Reader on March 9, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Ed is on MSDNC. The Unions are supporting Ed and MSDNC.

Bye, Ed.

Key West Reader on March 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

When the hard working members of the Communications Workers of America find out that $200,000 of their union dues were paid to Ed Schultz, Ed is going to have some ‘splaining to do.

If you know any members of this Union, be sure to ask them how they feel about these payments to Ed.

I’m looking forward to hearing a statement from MSNBC too…

wren on March 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I would have bought one and stabbed him in his bad eye with it.

/Evilla

Key West Reader on March 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Rules only apply to the right. The left gets a waiver.
Grunt

The left only has three rules.

1. Lie
2. Don’t report all the facts
3. Repeat 1 and 2 ad infinitum.

bandutski on March 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I wonder about other MSNBC hacks … who else is getting paid.

darwin on March 9, 2012 at 5:32 PM

MSNBC sure as hell can’t afford to pay them.

squint on March 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on March 9, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Great Names! hey, you’re not really Raquel Pinkbullet are you? ;-)

kirkill on March 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM

are unions 501(c)(4)’s? if so did they get the IRS letter?

I’ll get the shovel out and post back…

teejk on March 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

guess they are 501(c)(5)’s…for some strange reason, they don’t seem to have the same risks of losing their tax exempt status as does a 501(c)(4).

teejk on March 9, 2012 at 6:14 PM

More accurately, you could do that, but those pesky ethics get in your way.

bandutski on March 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Well he’s fat and has crappy teeth. So ya, he union.

Hummer53 on March 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

More accurately, you could do that, but those pesky ethics get in your way.

bandutski on March 9, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Lucky for liberals, they don’t seem to be afflicted by any such thing.

squint on March 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM

There is little indication as to precisely what Schultz is doing

Keeping quiet about it.

davidk on March 9, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Come on! You didn’t really expect any kind of honesty from Fat Eddie, did you?

GarandFan on March 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I take it your talking about the idea that reporters are supposed to be objective and only report the facts so that the reader can make up their own mind (except when a column is clearly defined as “opinion”)? If you believe any of that applies today, I have some swampland I’d like to sell you.

bandutski on March 9, 2012 at 6:34 PM

One Nation Rally at the DC Mall appearance fee maybe?

(Not that this excuses it)

contrarytopopularbelief on March 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I thought con men were supposed to be charming.

IlikedAUH2O on March 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Doesn’t this mean that Ed was on the union payroll when he was calling Laura Ingraham a ‘slut’? Can she sue them as his employer for defamation?

thuljunior on March 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM

He does have that union shill build and demeanor about him. Many chins, an ample backside and very,very loud.

jeanie on March 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Well I’ll be…I loathe that man, yet I listen faithfully everyday. (the radio). I get a kick out of the spin. He talks about the “working people of America” daily. Which basically means if you are employed by a union you are a working American, and if you are not…well…your a republican, or anti union. I don’t understand the logic there, but I digress.

He is perhaps getting a paycheck for talking up unions every single day,(people that take a shower after work as he calls them). I often wonder how good working Americans listen to his spew. He is hysterical to listen to, and I do not mean funny.

shar61 on March 9, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Some of you folks are confused but I’m happy to help out. If he’s getting paid for it, that makes him a union whore.

Fafhrd on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Saw this earlier, and I’m with you, Jazz.
I mean, WTF ??
And, who else ???

pambi on March 9, 2012 at 7:04 PM

EDIT: “jaws” would be much better than “draws” I suppose)

‘drawers’ would have been even better…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Fafhrd on March 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Now the fat gigolo will demand free condoms …wonder if Comcast will pay or he’ll get them directly from the White House ??

burrata on March 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

This isn’t really a controversy and there is nothing you can do to make it one. Oh, wait. Yes there is. You could change Ed Shultz’s name to Armstrong Williams. There, now. That oughtta do it.

rogaineguy on March 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Never had any background info on Ed, but always assumed he had a deep union background and at one point was on the union payroll. No surprise that he’s paid for bogus speaking engagements or other activities. There’s really nothing illegal with that- unless there are other off-the-book payments going on.

bayam on March 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I know I’m dreaming, but I’d like to see this question from W.H. Press corps to Jay Carney:

What do Obama and his Socialist Labor Secretary, Hilda Solis, know about this and when did they know it

?

Buy Danish on March 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Never underestimate the dishonesty of a liberal. Never knowingly do business with a liberal. They are dishonest, have no morals, values or integrity.

BruthaMan on March 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Ed Schultz – a parasite of the parasites.

A typical game-playing liberal on the take.

AttaBoyLuther on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Call Ed Shultz “Exhibit A”.

Tom Servo on March 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Your post was right on target.

jan3 on March 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM

If he is an employee of the Unions, when he makes misogynist statements shouldn’t the unions have to appologize? I mean, don’t they have rules about that sort of thing?

29Victor on March 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

“Big” Eddy…owns a Construction Co. in and around Fargo, NDak—–wonder if his Co. is even unionized…?

……E.A. Schultz Construction, LLC
417 38th St. SW, Ste H,
Fargo, ND 58103
(701) 282-4963

would be ironic if not……..

sbark on March 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I’ve posted this everywhere I KNOW I have disgruntled union members as ‘friends’ ….
And not-so-friendly lib union worshipers, too..
Some actually seem to be thinking really hard, atm.
Quiet as churchmice, I tell ya !
Hmmm …. Is there hope ?

pambi on March 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

rogaineguy on March 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM
“After the USA Today revelations, Tribune Media Services terminated its syndication agreement with Williams. ”

So, we wait for MSDNC …..right ?

pambi on March 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Your neighborhood liberal constituency at it’s finest.

Sure I like your liberal socialist progressive ideas! Support em all 100%!

Now that’ll be $250,000 in small bills please.

Wolfmoon on March 9, 2012 at 11:52 PM

FlatFoot on March 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Jazz was likely referencing this infamous 1978 ad for the ILGWU.

Myron Falwell on March 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I thought con men were supposed to be charming.

IlikedAUH2O on March 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Sgt. Schultz has all the charm of a rusted sledgehammer. Or Sledge Hammer himself. You make the call.

Myron Falwell on March 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I honestly don’t know how anyone can get away with this and keep their job.

It is simple – you push the leftist, socialist meme and you keep your job. Rules, laws, etc. only apply to conservatives.

Theophile on March 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM

‘Special’ Ed on the take? There’s a surprise.

LizardLips on March 10, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Hey, pay no mind to Dead Schultz, look over here people. Did you hear Rush Limbaugh called a slut a slut? Ignore the Acorn and Obowma men behind the curtain.

dthorny on March 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Jazz, fast Eddie is a dolt but, I think even he knows that Governor Walker is from Wisconsin not Minnesota.

Wish we had Governor Walker instead of Governor Moonshine.

jpmn on March 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Myron Falwell on March 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

“Trust me. I know what I’m doing.”

ZK on March 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Fee fi fo fum, I smell the blood of a disgraced Virginian….

Sherman1864 on March 10, 2012 at 9:37 AM

My wife and I USED to work for Verizon. As an 18 year CWA member, @ $35/week….and my Wife an IBEW repped Biz office employee $32/wk for 23 years. We have never agreed w/anything our unions have ever done politically. To “resign” from the union, you will be still required to pay dues, but your name WILL be posted in every work location, from the garage my truck was in, to Central Offices (where dialtone originates)> All over the district as a “non member”. Then try getting a hand through your dispatcher to raise a wire across a blind curve, busy road etc.. A derision like a “Scarlet Letter”, only much worse. Pa is NOT a right to work state. I applaud all the States that are pushing the unions to NOT force membership.

hutch1200 on March 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I’ll be holding my breath, knowing full well that “cray ol’” Uncle Ed will gladly pay his fair share of taxes. Judging from the amount, Schultz certainly qualifies as one of the 1%.

Kingfisher on March 10, 2012 at 8:38 PM