Apple’s covert war on gender-specific expressions

posted at 7:50 pm on March 9, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Oh, my dear wopeople (that’s “women” for those of you unfamiliar with Dr. Laura’s mocking word for feminists who can’t bear to be identified in relation to men), prepare yourselves to be very pleased. Apparently, Apple’s $20.00 word processing program “Pages” has a feature called “Proofreader” that wages a tidy little covert war on gender-specific expressions. Townhall columnist Mona Charen vents her frustration with the feature, which she unaffectionately nicknames “Proofreadress”:

Pages has traits that are not immediately apparent, however. While it’s a sturdy little word processor, it’s true personality is not revealed until you use the proofreader — or Proofreadress, as I now think of her. Yes, she’s female all right. Seems to have been designed and programmed by the women’s studies department at Cupertino community college.

In a column about Rick Santorum, I had used the word “spokesman.” The proofreader flagged it: “Gender specific expression. Consider replacing with ‘speaker,’ ‘representative’ or ‘advocate.’” Hmm. How would that work? The sentence read, “A spokesman said ‘there is little daylight between Ryan and Gingrich on Medicare.’” None of the suggested words would accurately convey who was talking. Every one would have changed the meaning and confused the reader.

Pages just hates gender specific expressions and is constantly on guard for them. In a column titled “Assad’s Useful Idiots” I had written that Vogue magazine “apparently immune to shame, ran a fawning profile of the dictator’s wife.” Proofreadress was on it. “Gender specific expression. A gender neutral word such as ‘spouse’ may be appropriate.” Really Proofreadress? Spouse is a legal word, good for real estate transactions and rhyming with house in Les Miserables’ “Master of the House.” But as a substitute for wife, it’s ungainly and odd. Wife is a perfectly good word — in fact, it’s a perfectly good status, one that I’m glad to enjoy.

Proofreadress was also unhappy about the next paragraph of that column, when I quoted Vogue to the effect that Asma al-Assad was “glamorous, young and very chic — the freshest and most magnetic of first ladies.” Uh-oh. “Gender specific expression. Consider replacing with ‘women,’ ‘people’ or ‘individuals.’” It was a quote, of course, and therefore untouchable. But imagine writing “the freshest and most magnetic of first individuals.”

Yes! Imagine that! Not only is “the freshest and most magnetic of first individuals”a stilted expression, but it’s also a flat denial of one of life’s greatest mysteries — the mystery of sexual difference, of the complementarity of men and women. That difference and complementarity, in case you forgot, is inscribed into our very bodies — and, for that matter, our brains.

Why do feminists perceive it as a threat to gender equality to acknowledge that men and women are, in fact, different? Why are they unable to see that what is uniquely female — yes, I’m talking, among other things, about childbearing and mothering — has a value all its own? By denying the value of the uniquely female, they essentially say women are unequal to men, that what women alone can contribute to society is of less value than what men alone can contribute.

Words matter. If we obliterate all linguistic evidence of gender difference, we’ll have no vocabulary left with which to think of it — and our understanding of the reality of our very selves will be impoverished, too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hardest hit: Beta men like AP :)

melle1228 on March 9, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Can’t say Manhole anymore. That’s the name of a Leather Bar.
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Man oh man – that sucks!

Hill60 on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Thank God for the differences between men and women.

rbj on March 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Next step is to replace ‘I’ with ‘we’…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Pages is a great program, I love it, much less confusing and user friendly than Word, but this does get annoying sometimes.

vegconservative on March 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

“Barack Obama.”

Gender-specific term. Consider using “girl,” “girly-man,” “wimp,” “whiner,” “thin-skinned,” “brittle mean girl,” “total douche,” “pompous jerk,” or “one-termer.”

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I tend to view Apple users as genderless amalgams of body parts, too.

James on March 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Can’t say Manhole anymore. That’s the name of a Leather Bar.
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 9, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ok, you ‘got’ me. I actually had to think twice about that. : )

listens2glenn on March 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I consider ‘confusing’ to be more user-hostile than user-friendly… ;-)

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don’t complain. You got away with it. In the future, however, you will be investigated for typing such words into the Speech Matrix which is connected via fiber optics to the Department of Speech and Freedom.

keep the change on March 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Does Pages use a red line to indicate words that it thinks ought to be replaced? If so, that could be very damaging to the self-esteem of the user.

Left Coast Right Mind on March 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

While this may have started as a women’s movement issue, the enforcement today is actually in regards to the LGBT community. They’re coaching different parts of the language to make transgendered more palatable, which is why the ambiguous term transgendered has replaced transsexual and transvestite.

budfox on March 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I get enough patronizing liberal pablum from the media and Obama. Don’t really need my word processor to do it as well.

sharrukin on March 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Slut. Ensure that you are targeting a conservative female.

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Uh, isn’t “women” a “gender specific expression”?

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This cr#p is everywhere. A U of Mt professor who teaches courses on gender and rhetoric is giving a brown bag lunch talk at the YWCA on how dominant definitions of motherhood function to punish women. No wonder people with college degrees can’t find jobs. Who’s going to hire someone with a degree in this cr#p?

Kissmygrits on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Who’s going to hire someone with a degree in this cr#p?

Kissmygrits on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The government.

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Next step is to replace ‘I’ with ‘we’…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Except with the version used by Obama’s speechwriters. ‘I’ isn’t flagged in that version.

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I’ve never understood the appeal of Apple stuff anyway. I think the only Apple product I’ve intentionally sought out and used is QuickTime, briefly.

ddrintn on March 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Does that mean, I have a pegina?

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Uh, isn’t “women” a “gender specific expression”?
Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Yeah, but it’s replacing ‘ladies’: think Fluke, Madcow, etc…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

LibreOffice

solatic on March 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Tina,

I think you’re just getting personsterical about a program that is but a blip in recorded personstory.

TugboatPhil on March 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Confusing: consider using ‘inherited’ after ‘I.’

James on March 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Kissmygrits on March 9, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Have you reported this overt racism?!

TugboatPhil on March 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Someone hacked Santorum’s word processor, and replaced some words with the word ‘Satan’.

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:17 PM

“Obama” (Consider replacing with “man.”)

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

LibreOffice

solatic on March 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I think we called it OpenOffice back in the day. Much much better than that MS Office crap…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Does that mean, I have a pegina?

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Only Chaz Bono has that
:D

burrata on March 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Huh, I wonder what it would say if you typed the word “she” in it…

Pattosensei on March 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Does it recognize the word “urinal” (or is that too gender specific)?

Tim_CA on March 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Does that mean, I have a pegina?

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Still LMAO on that one. You go, person!

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Huh, I wonder what it would say if you typed the word “she” in it…

Pattosensei on March 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

That triggers a self-destruct virus.

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

“Noman” (Does not compute! DANGER! *BSOD*)

/Homer, you genius!

Christien on March 9, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Huh, I wonder what it would say if you typed the word “she” in it…

Pattosensei on March 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Suggested: she-it

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Well they did just announce a few thousand new jobs today here in Austin… so I’ll let them slide for now.

ModerateMan on March 9, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Does it recognize the word “urinal” (or is that too gender specific)?

Tim_CA on March 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

…it’s sure not going to be penial!

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Oh sheesh. I read somewhere that studies have shown that gender is the thing a person notices first about anyone–before their skin or hair color or height or weight. That is the first thing we all use to categorize someone (and lest anyone think I am talking about stereotyping, I’m not–I’m talking about recognizing what is in front of you).

So now a word-processor (which doesn’t care about any of that anyway!) is going to try to take that away…

Well, of course, it’s actually the people behind Apple, who are responding to …. political correctness, I guess. Which is engendered (ooh, dangerous word) by people who don’t think there should be any difference between anybody and anybody else.

Alrighty then–I don’t have a million dollars in the bank, so I think I shouldn’t be different than anybody else, so I’m going to take it from some little old lady…wait….little old person…er, height-challenged human being….oooh, my head hurts…

redgypsy on March 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

…it’s sure not going to be penial!

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

LOL…literally!!

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Slightly O/T, but related.

I found an old post by Lori Ziganto from August 2010. I wish I’d remembered it last week because I made several comments on it.

Here’s Lori:

Leftist Feminists Proudly Embrace Sluthood, Objectification and Subjugation of Women

There is a new ‘hot topic’ at various alleged Feminist sites that exemplifies yet another reason why leftist self-named Feminists should really be called Femisogynists. Their agenda is purely a political one and it’s one that is actually harmful to women. The end now justifies the means to the point that the new in thing to do in Leftist Feminist/Femisogynist circles is to “embrace sluthood”. No, really. A most recent example from that hotbed of objectification and subjugation of women disguised as feminism, Feministe.com

She links to a post on feministe.us: My Sluthood, Myself.

Here’s a quote from that one:

Sluthood isn’t just a choice we should let women make because women should be free to make even “bad” choices. It’s a choice we should all have access to because it has the potential to be liberating. Healing. Soul-fulfilling.

INC on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I just checked Word for the Mac. It doesn’t do it automatically, but you have the option to turn on checking for gender-specific words in the grammar settings. At least MS had the sense to make it optional and turned off by default. With Pages I see no way of disabling it.

ReaganWasRight on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

This really isn’t that surprising or alarming to me. How far can you take spell check? Apple will find out.

mike_NC9 on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Next step is to replace ‘I’ with ‘we’…

affenhauer on March 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Not the hoi-polloi, but I fully expect Obama to adopt the “Royal We” if he wins a second term…and remember, Michelle loves being called, “Your Excellency,” which is gender-neutral.

Out: Obama “I, Me, Mine, & My” Drinking Game

In: Obama “We, Our & Our’s” Drinking Game

Resist We Much on March 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Does that mean, I have a pegina?

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM

hahahaha. Good one. How about a vagenis?

SparkPlug on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

oooh, my head hurts… should be, oooh, our head hurts.

redgypsy on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Edit > Proofreading > Uncheck Proofread as you type.

“Problem” solved. Unnecessary article on how Pages is destroying America by Obama’s executive order avoided.

lester on March 9, 2012 at 8:31 PM

[Joe Blow had a gender re-assignment operation....]

“Gender specific expression. Consider changing Joe with “A person”…
…oh wait….
Is this Joe before or after gender re-assignment? Please elaborate….
By the way….the adverb “Blow”…….
Is this before of after gender re-assignment?”

System Error

Electrongod on March 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Never been prouder to be a Microsoft fanboy.

Mr. Prodigy on March 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

ReaganWasRight on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

One reason I disabled Pages altogether, just use Word for Mac, as insufferable as that is.

TXUS on March 9, 2012 at 8:35 PM

hahahaha. Good one. How about a vagenis?

SparkPlug on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

…that sounds sort of itchy!

KOOLAID2 on March 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM

How about a vagenis?

SparkPlug on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Unless you eat meat.

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

WTF? One night…h3ll…one TIME is all it takes. And it becomes abundantly clear there IS a very real difference between man and woman…and during “those times” both are glad for it.

RavingLunatic on March 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Just put some duct tape on it, and bring me a beer.

WhatNot on March 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

what about “spokesperson”… when you don’t know the gender of a spokes”man” use spokesperson. so obvious.

Sachiko on March 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Does Pages make an alternate suggestion if you type ‘priest’?

slickwillie2001 on March 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Sounds like a gambit right out of the old Symbionese Liberation Army. Those gals also had a problem with ‘gender specific’ words.

Like to see what the ‘proofreaderess’ does with “I’m going to the men’s room.”

GarandFan on March 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Yet another reason to add to my long list of why I will not own any of the over priced Apple products.

DAT60A3 on March 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

How about a vagenis?

SparkPlug on March 9, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Along with testaries. Or maybe Ovacles.

Bigfoot on March 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I’m reminded of the consequences of political correctness in medical terminology. Someone, somewhere objected to the phrase “the elderly” so it was replaced with “older patients”. Then it became evident while “the elderly referred to a specific demographic, “older” begs the question, older than what? PC muddied proper medical understanding.

What happened to hurricanes named after women? You know, Mother Nature? Mrs. and Miss have apparently gone by the wayside. Pretty soon we won’t know if “marriage” refers to 2 men, a man and a woman, or two women. And for what? To avoid the shame of having your gender identified, or whether you’re married, or even that severe storms can be as terrifying and unpredictable as a woman’s emotions?

Paul-Cincy on March 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Ok, you ‘got’ me. I actually had to think twice about that. : )

listens2glenn on March 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My knuckles should feel the wrath of Sister Mary Rita’s ‘Ruler of Death‘.
;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Some lesbians like to spell “women” as “womyn”, to avoid having to say “men”. Well, that’s fine for them. But why do we all have to do such things? Are we all lesbians now?

Paul-Cincy on March 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Slow news day I guess.

cpaulus on March 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

budfox on March 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Paul-Cincy on March 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I just read your comment now, but, yeah. It’s being pushed by the gender benders. To annoy everyone else.

Paul-Cincy on March 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Ha! Yet another reason to not buy anything from Apple.

Apple personifies the Libtard mindset – self-righteous, arrogant, holier-than-thou, smug…and wrong.

Every time I receive an email from someone that has “Sent from my iPhone” or “Sent from my iPad”, I reply with a short email acknowledgment that ends with “Sent from my iWorkstation” or “Sent from my iFad” or “Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80″ or “Sent from my iCraptop”.

The reaction you get is similar to what you get when you hum and whistle at a dog at the same time – it screws with their heads. One Apple Zombie-slave actually demanded to know where he could buy an iWorkstation!

CatchAll on March 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Huh, I wonder what it would say if you typed the word “she” in it…

Pattosensei on March 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

He and she are now to be replaced with Shcle.

squint on March 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Adam Carolla said it best: “In Fifty Years We’ll All Be Chicks.”

The whole thing is worthy of ridicule, but I’m not going to get my panties in a wad about it.

rogaineguy on March 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Hair piece, rug, and toupee are masculine; wigs, extentions, and weaves are feminine – oh, merkins too.

ericdijon on March 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Can’t say “Apple” anymore. Must use the phrase “government issued computer”.

Saltysam on March 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Nicely written, Tina.

jaime on March 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You can’t use him or her any more in academic writing. You say they or rewrite the entire sentence. Ludicrous!

I will give in when the feminists redo the other languages, like French or Italian, where every single noun is designated male or female.

PattyJ on March 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

What’s the big deal? Word does the same thing. When I do a spell / grammar check I’ve gotten the “gender-specific language” flag. But I don’t have to change the word. It’s not like the program is censoring me.

Mitoch55 on March 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Unless you eat meat.

faraway on March 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

So wrong on so many levels.

Bunsin2 on March 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Slow news day I guess.

cpaulus on March 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Yup because what we really need is another story about how some candidate is ahead in ahead or behind in another useless poll.

Bunsin2 on March 9, 2012 at 11:05 PM

But I don’t have to change the word. It’s not like the program is censoring me.

Mitoch55 on March 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

No but you do waste time telling it to ignore. Or is taht a setting your could configure once and be free.

I never expected to see the Mac be more PC than the PC. Visions of that 1984 commercial are echoing in my mind right now.

OBQuiet on March 9, 2012 at 11:15 PM

That’s De Anza, to you, toots! (See how I used a gender-specific noun?)

Seriously, I put this on the same level as Microsoft Word trying to replace all “which”es with “that”s (or, apparently, also doing the gender thing). Some people might have a valid concern about which is the right one to choose. If the software’s wrong, just ignore it. It’s not a “war” on anything. This seems like a fishing expedition for offense.

There’s a reason for that, too. It’s saying, “I’m responding on a device without a keyboard, so don’t expect the spelling, grammar, or verbosity of a sit-down response.” Plus it’s free advertising (though likely not effective on those who like spelling, grammar, and verbosity). If you want to take it as “I’m cooler than you,” that’s your deal.

calbear on March 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM

complementarity

Now there’s a 50 cent word for you. I’ll bet you laughed out loud when you came up with that, Tina.

Jaibones on March 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Perhaps you don’t truely understand Feminism. There may be different sects; but most wish to erase distinguishing words that do not bely the ‘choice’ that person has made for the ‘gender’ (dereived from genre) they see themselves as.

It’s all a much bigger problem for REALITY than this article can convey.

John Kettlewell on March 9, 2012 at 11:40 PM

“Barack Obama.”

Rational Thought on March 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Very nice

Sonosam on March 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Does it recognize the word “urinal” (or is that too gender specific)?

Tim_CA on March 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

No, not gender specific, but too possessive – should be ourinal.

climbnjump on March 9, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Will this apply to APBs too, as they have done in regards to race?

A bank was robbed by a human today….

Sonosam on March 9, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I once heard a seminary professor suggest that we should refer to Jesus as the ‘child of God’ rather than ‘the Son of God.’ I politely asked if there was now some doubt about Jesus’ gender.

Of course the biblical light vs. darkness theme was also off limits–racial undertones.

jazz_piano on March 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Gender no spec, to do so double-plus-un-good bordering crimethink. Advise Room 101, educate to make-good wrong-think.

darkannulus on March 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM

This is a very popular theme in some places. I could not tell you the number of programs I have seen advertised that offered to analyze your texts and suggest gender-neutral language. Or, my personal favorite, “inclusive” language.

I know I wouldn’t want anyone taking a document I put time into and “improving” it with gender-neutral language. There’s a world of different meaning between “husband”, “wife,” and “spouse.” “Son,” “daughter,” and “child” are also not interchangeable.

I’d rather communicate clearly and effectively than tick off the little check-boxes assuring that I have achieved gender-neutrality in language.

There Goes The Neighborhood on March 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Obama. Time-specific term. Consider replacing with Anyone But.

sistrum on March 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM

INC on March 9, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Liberating? Right. Can all of these self-loathing people move to an island like Guam and help it tip over?

PatriotGal2257 on March 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM

CatchAll on March 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Yeah, yeah. I have an acquaintance who does this, a decent enough guy, but begrudges everybody everything they might own or do that he thinks he can’t — the ability to go on a vacation, a new computer, a new TV, a “better” (to him) house, even the ability to go out to a movie.

Twenty-five years ago, this guy was let go from a fairly prestigious job (or so he says), and he basically uses that to bludgeon everyone within earshot about his bad fortune. He found work afterward, although in a different industry, and he and his family live in a nice but modest home. He’s nowhere near destitute, but he gets a major chip on his shoulder the minute he hears of someone who just bought a new car, say, when he drives an older, used car.

It makes it difficult to want to talk to him much at all, and I eventually stopped mentioning anything about what I was doing with my life, no matter how mundane, because I wasn’t in the mood to listen yet again to his extended pity party about his circumstances.

PatriotGal2257 on March 10, 2012 at 1:27 AM

We do not own Apple products in this household.

We will never own Apple products in this household.

Hence, we are not plagued by way over-priced way overrated all but useless gadgets suffering from Gender Identity crises or bouts of Political Correctness psychosis.

FlatFoot on March 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Went to university with a feminazi who hated the word seminal because women couldn’t produce it, though I suspected she had some stored in her freezer. Used it every chance I could including my seminal approach to driving, to cooking and reading a book.

Smedley on March 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Smedley, did she similarly hate “testimony?”

sistrum on March 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Apple is going to be in real trouble if it can’t deal with reality anymore.

It’s OK to dream of things which never were and work hard to change the future by building them. But you are in real trouble if you can’t deal with the reality of things as they are: you will almost certainly be killed by a truck if you insist on imagining that all of the roadways are cleared just for you.

Well, I’ve got to go person a letter……../s>

landlines on March 10, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Make Mine Microsoft

David Blue on March 10, 2012 at 2:23 AM

vegconservative on March 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Word is confusing? Really?

Gregor on March 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM

As long as Pages writes me into getting the NOBEL
PEACE PRIZE I am just okay with dat!

Pages ain’t heavy he’s my ghost writer!

Sherman1864 on March 10, 2012 at 5:02 AM

I mean “it’s ” ….,

Sherman1864 on March 10, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Word is confusing? Really?

Gregor on March 10, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Word up

Roy Rogers on March 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Uh, isn’t “women” a “gender specific expression”?

Bitter Clinger on March 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

No, nowadays it includes both women and men who have had their members cut off. On purpose.

Fenris on March 10, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Pure idiocy.

On the other hand, I’ve always been bugged by some gender-specific terms such as aviatrix or executrix. Dominatrix, though, just seems to work.

flipflop on March 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM