Pat Robertson: Pot should totally be legal

posted at 6:55 pm on March 8, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Quick: What do Pat Robertson and Ron Paul have in common? Yep, that’s right — they both think marijuana should be as legal as alcohol. Robertson made waves on the issue in the past when he said he thought marijuana-possession convictions shouldn’t end in mandatory prison sentences. He’s making waves again with the outright call to legalize the controlled substance.

Mr. Robertson’s support for legalizing pot appeared in a New York Times article published Thursday. His spokesman confirmed to the Associated Press that Mr. Robertson supports legalization with regulation. Mr. Robertson was not made available for an interview.

“I really believe we should treat marijuana the way we treat beverage alcohol,” Mr. Robertson was quoted by the newspaper as saying. “If people can go into a liquor store and buy a bottle of alcohol and drink it at home legally, then why do we say that the use of this other substance is somehow criminal?”

Mr. Robertson said he “absolutely” supports ballot measures in Colorado and Washington state that would allow people older than 21 to possess a small amount of marijuana and allow for commercial pot sales. Both measures, if passed by voters, would place the states at odds with federal law, which bans marijuana use of all kinds.

This debate seems to have no direction to go but in the direction of legalization; as Robertson said elsewhere in the article, “This war on drugs just hasn’t succeeded.”

As I wrote this morning about tobacco use, it’s not necessarily the government’s role to keep us from harming ourselves, even if it is the government’s role to keep us from physically harming others. A law that prevents driving under the influence of marijuana and other drug-related behaviors that could lead to the deprivation of another’s life or property but that allows private use of the drug doesn’t seem to be incompatible with conservatism to me. At the same time, I must not be quite as hip as the 81-year-old Robertson because some part of me still shies away from endorsing the idea of legalization entirely. This is just one of those hills I don’t want to die on — whether pot is legal or illegal doesn’t seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If enough people pray… right Pat?

profitsbeard on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Pat Robertson thinks he’s also literally had conversations with God 1-on-1, has made numerous end-of-the-world predictions that have fallen flat, and endorsed Giuliani in 2008 as someone who’d be a good social conservative when he was the only explicitly pro-choice candidate in the race.

So it doesn’t surprise me at all that Pat Robertson once again takes the crazy man position.

Stoic Patriot on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Pot should be legal. With the same restrictions as alcohol.

OT. This is interesting.

jaime on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Have to agree. But I’d tie to government benefits: if you test positive for drugs/alcohol/etc, then no unemployment/welfare for you.

lorien1973 on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

i agree with pat for once!

DBear on March 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Hey, God can burn a bush…

SouthernGent on March 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Pot should be legal. With the same restrictions as alcohol.

OT. This is interesting.

jaime on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Absolutely disgusting.

tom daschle concerned on March 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Pat Robertson: Pot should totally be legal

Pat Robertson: Those folks totally deserved to get killed by the tornadoes.

Hey Pat, please…STFU!

cicerone on March 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Robertson’s made his decision because he’s seen so many otherwise upstanding* individuals thrown into the slammer. But I know from experience, that life is much better without pot.

* breaking the law makes you by definition “not upstanding”.

kirkill on March 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

In a way, he’s right.

Even a broken clock can be right twice a day.

Mr. Robertson has said some outlandish things, but that doesn’t mean he still can’t make some salient points.

*shrug*

Logus on March 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I have no interest in paying to investigate/prosecute/incarcerate some moron that wants to fry his brain.

commodore on March 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Absolutely disgusting.

tom daschle concerned on March 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

What? That pot should be legal?

jaime on March 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Pat……………you are wrong.

You need to retire, as quickly as possible.

PappyD61 on March 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Dear HOT AIR Editors, I don’t care what you do, but please! take down that picture of Keith Olbermann, he’s scaring my dog and cat!

kirkill on March 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The way Pat’s been acting over the last decade or so, and some of the comments he makes…The good Rev, I think has been token on a big fat one…more, than a few times!

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Dang hippie.

rbj on March 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

What? That pot should be legal?

jaime on March 8, 2012 at 7:02 PM

No, that was my reaction to the article at verumserum you linked. That level of violence continues to shock me even though it appears to be occuring more and more.

tom daschle concerned on March 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

I agree with Pat…odd as that is for me.

There is no reason not to. It can be limited to age 21 and older, it’s not addictive, it can be taxed the same as booze and smokes, it’s effect is more temporary than booze.

It’s not for everyone, but neither is booze. I know far more people that shouldn’t be touching booze that would be just fine eating a pot cookie.

Wolfmoon on March 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Looks like he’s already started.

Mr Snuggle Bunny on March 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Pot should be legal. With the same restrictions as alcohol.

OT. This is interesting.

jaime on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Absolutely disgusting.

tom daschle concerned on March 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

…he was totally drunk when he said that, and was taking a hit with every drink!

KOOLAID2 on March 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Rain’s a’comin. Shouldn’t Pat be praying?…

Gohawgs on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

It is high time (heh) that the federal government let the states experiment with different legalization strategies.

Let’s take two similar states and see what happens if one allows marijuana use for a few years and the other does not.

18-1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

RIGHT ON PAT!!

I’m not in favor of legalizing hard drugs like heroin or cocaine. Nor am I in favor of legalizing strong prescription drugs.

But pot and booze are one in the same. Either legalize them both or outlaw them both. If anything, pot should be legal before alchohol is legal. Alchohol is more physically addicting, and it’s much more powerful.

It takes a few months to build up a resistance to pot. At first, it seems very strong, almost like mushrooms or LSD. But pretty soon, you get used to it. This is not the case with alchohol. Alchohol will get you completely smashed if you drink enough of it, no matter how high your tolerance is. With pot, once you’ve built up a resistance to it, two hits is the same as five whole joints.

Bottom line #1: Both pot and booze can be enjoyed in a responsible manner.

Bottm line #2: Conservatives will never go along with this because they associate pot with Left wing hippies.

ardenenoch on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

then no unemployment/welfare for you.

lorien1973 on March 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Would be nice if there was no unemployment/welfare for ANYBODY.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Hero of the hippie culture.

Oh great. I’m a hippie now too. Hey, I’m also a murderer since I don’t like seat belt laws too.

Notorious GOP on March 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Wow, I don’t usually agree with anything Pat Robertson says…but I do on this, make it legal like it’s more damaging legal cousin alcohol and put a tax on it too. Think of how many billions a year this would generate.

If the OP thinks all conservatives will share her sentiment she might be greatly disappointed with the comments here.

celt on March 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Marijuana is considerably less dangerous than alcohol.

fatlibertarianinokc on March 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

ardenenoch on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Or they would rather hold the line on this than wait for the inevitable ‘well we legalized pot, but what about hash? Its not that much worse‘.

sharrukin on March 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

While I don’t agree much with Pat Robertson and think some of his religious talk is plain crazy, I admire his willingness to take unpopular stance based on interesting reasoning.

thuja on March 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Pat Robertson: What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place ’cause it was bogus; so if we don’t get some cool rules ourselves – pronto – we’ll just be bogus too! Get it?

Yup…

cicerone on March 8, 2012 at 7:16 PM

18-1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Colorado/Washington/Minnesota.

CO and WA will attempt to legalize it this year. I think there is a very good chance that WA will follow through, CO, possibly, hopefully.

CO, WA, and MN are very similar states in term of economy, wealth, and fairly similarly sized. There are many demographic similarities too. Political similarities too, even. And all 3 states are dominated by a single metro area.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Agreed Pat. I can’t believe it.

Boomer_Sooner on March 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

As a transcriptionist, I constantly type reports for stupid things that people abuse and overindulge on, whether legal or not. I find it ridiculous that I have to show ID and sign a statement at the pharmacy for getting Sudafed because I’m an allergy sufferer. There are plenty of legal things that people use in unintended ways to catch a buzz beyond alcohol. I have no issue with laws that prohibit people from driving, working, operating heavy equipment, watching children, yadayada…

Robertson is right. The laws aren’t doing squat, and I don’t think decriminalizing it encourages more people to dabble in it. I think pot should be legal.

redmama on March 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

sharrukin on March 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Hash is made from pot. If pot is legal, then so is hash.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Pot should be legal, but Pat Robinson is scum. I’ve long since had enough of his bulls**t, blaming people’s lack of faith for horrific tragedies and disasters.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Something tells me the usual people calling him a kook and telling him to brick his mouth shut will be strangely okay with this latest comment.

tom on March 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Awright I agree. Now I am going out and leg press 900 lbs. Pump (clap, clap) you up.

jake49 on March 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Inside that suit lies the heart of a real Rastafarian.
Jya mon.

askwhatif on March 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Pat Robertson: Well Stu I’ll tell you, surfing’s not a sport, it’s a way of life, you know, a hobby. It’s a way of looking at that wave and saying, “Hey bud, let’s party!”

Yup.

cicerone on March 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

So any derivative would also be legal?

sharrukin on March 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I haven’t seen any hash in the U.S. since I moved here in 1997.

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Marijuana is considerably less dangerous than alcohol.

fatlibertarianinokc on March 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yes, it is. Many people, however, who oppose it, will tell the same kind of urban legends that were perpetrated in laugh riots like Reefer Madness.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Sold commercially?

Anyone think that pot advertising will be good for the culture? Kids won’t be able to smoke it, but they’ll see plenty of advertising for it.

rw on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

He just trying to start his own Paulian style cult.

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I still do not understand how conservatives do not support federal marijuana legalization while also critiquing federal oversight and regulation in so many other areas. It’s logically incongruous. What’s your reasoning? It may be bad for people? Who are you to decide what’s bad for other individuals?

What I thought American conservatism (i.e. neoliberalism) entailed was promoting private individuals to do as they please without oversight from government as long as said actions do not interfere with the rights of others with government size slightly bigger than libertarian philosophy prescribes but incredibly small compared to American liberal (i.e. totalitarianism) philosophy. We decry nanny states but then support it when it comes to banning things we don’t like. How can you accost government for attempting to control what we choose to eat but then allow them to control what someone in some cases eats later.

Even if you’re a Christian (which is obviously the central religious ideology of social conservatism) you realize that Jesus used cannabis in the holy oil with which he was anointed?

Kriggly on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I haven’t seen any hash in the U.S. since I moved here in 1997.

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

It’s made from the pollen of cannabis, so if pot is available, you can find hash.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I got the munchies just reading all these posts /

Electrongod on March 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Anyone who supports alcohol legalization but doesn’t support marijuana legalization is an idiot as far as I’m concerned.

Drunks beat their spouses and kill people drunk-driving. Pot heads get high and eat Doritos.

Lord on March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Kriggly on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Rick Santorum vehemently disagrees.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Hurry up and legalize it so I can get it and my munchies for free under Obamacare!

Roy Rogers on March 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

So any derivative would also be legal?

sharrukin on March 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I don’t know what derivatives you speak of, other than hash and hash oil, but yeah. ???

I haven’t seen any hash in the U.S. since I moved here in 1997.

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Its not as popular as it is overseas, but do you live in a MMJ state? Pretty sure hash is sold in some if not all of them.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I think pot should be legal. But your argument of “they can’t regulate that” means they can’t set a drinking age. Or any law against making meth-candy and selling it to schoolkids.

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Quick: What do Pat Robertson and Ron Paul have in common? Yep, that’s right – they’re both batshiite insane.

Bishop on March 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Suppose I were to suggest eliminating the drinking age, and leaving it to bars, restaurants, and liquor stores to set their own rules regarding the age of their customers. What would your opinion be of such an idea?

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

it can be taxed

Wolfmoon on March 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

put a tax on it too.

celt on March 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

What’s with the crazy talk about taxes?

Syzygy on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I can find it when I go home to Slovakia, but I guess I’m not looking in the right place here.

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Somebody should tell Pat Robertson that marijuana causes the gay. See if he still supports legalization then.

Jeddite on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The only way to win the war on drugs and solve the problems that plague this nation.

Machismo on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Lord on March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Funny thing that, my wife doesn’t have a mark on her and my vehicles are unspattered with blood or body parts.

Then again people who are stoned actually drive better, just ask them.

Bishop on March 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

No doubt, marijuana should be legal if alcohol consumption is legal. You can’t ban one but keep the other. That’s insanity. However, people need to understand that marijuana use will reduce the productivity of the workforce overall and that’s something we should probably plan for because legalization is inevitable – not saying that marijuana decreases productivity as much as alcohol, but it does decrease productivity. What a wonderful world where we can make plans for sub-optimal situations because the citizens are so totally soft, even to the point of supporting depravity-based marriage.

Val on March 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Kids would skip school and drink themselves to death in the streets by age 12! Like happens in all those European countries and Japan (which even has alcohol vending machines).

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I don’t have a problem with that. But the meth-candy…

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Lord on March 8, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I’m tired of cutting people out of cars at 3am. That usually happens because of alcohol. And they usually kill someone too.

ManWithNoName on March 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Jeddite on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

ROTFLOL! I love it!

MelonCollie on March 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It should be.

bridgetown on March 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

It’s called old age. At Robertson’s age, he probably knows too many over 60 who have realized some medical benefit from marijuana.

bayam on March 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Val on March 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

It may decrease productivity for You….and maybe others.
But, you cannot say that as a whole.
Staying up late decreases productivity, as does millions of other ‘reasons’.
Stupid argument.

bridgetown on March 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I don’t have a problem with that. But the meth-candy…

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh, come on, now. If someone manufactured something like that, you think it wouldn’t be all over Fox News, with Megyn Kelly snarling at the company’s spokesman? We’re rather protective of children in this country, so every time I hear this concept of kids getting ahold of legalized substances, two questions come to mind:

1. Don’t parents already warn their kids against drugs, not because of the illegality, but because of the negative effects?

2. Don’t kids already get drugs if they really want them? I never did drugs when I was younger, but I was offered them more than once. I was never offered alcohol, even though I lived in Wisconsin. People say that it’s easier for kids to get pot than booze, and I can attest to the truth of that statement.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I agree with him, though i smh far too often from some of the crazy stuff PR says…however, what bugs me is how people automatically think you’re a stoner if you think pot should be legalized. I’ve never tried it, though I have had plenty of opportunities to do so through the years…it was one of those things that my mother, growing up, successfully drilled into my head…if you EVER use pot, I will KILL you, plain and simple. I just don’t understand how pot can be illegal when alcohol is not. It should be taxed and regulated like alcohol, but moo is it’s just a matter of time before it becomes a legal substance.

ellifint on March 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

A law that prevents driving under the influence of marijuana and other drug-related behaviors that could lead to the deprivation of another’s life or property but that allows private use of the drug doesn’t seem to be incompatible with conservatism libertarianism to me.

FIFY

Knott Buyinit on March 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Jeddite on March 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Well played, sir.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Pat Robertson joins the long list of pothead freedom fighters like Cheech, Chong, Spicoli, Harold, Kumar, etc. etc. because, hey:

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I’m fine.

Maybe ObaMao and Hillary should invite Ahmadinejad to come and join them in Beyonce and Jay Z’s VIP room the White House situation room and get high. Then I’m sure he’ll totally drop this whole nuclear weapons thing. Nothing like a little peaceweed to solve the world’s problems.

cicerone on March 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

The federal government can’t set a drinking age–nowhere in the Constitution is it granted that power. The only way the feds get around that is by making highway funding contingent on a state’s bending the knee and obeying DC’s diktats, exactly the kind of thing conservatives should be against.

Fabozz on March 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Hash is made from pot.

I thought it was made from corned beef and potatoes.

Actually, I can’t believe I’m in agreement with Pat Robertson on something. The feds have no business regulating pot. You want it illegal? Fine, but leave it to the states. It is an abrogation of the limits of the commerce clause. Gonzales v. Raich was a horrible decision that halted the march of restoring the commerce clause to something closer to its original intent. That decision will forever be a black mark on Justice Scalia’s judicial record.

The war on drugs will always continue to be a failure as long as success is measured in quantities of drugs confiscated by self-serving bureaucracies. Billions of wasted dollars later and it’s easier for a teenager to buy some pot than it is to get some beer.

No, I’m not a pot smoker and I wouldn’t be if it were legal.

Hobo with a laptop on March 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

The Bible says that the Lord gave humanity “every herb bearing seed” for their use.

Does that leave out sinsemilla?

profitsbeard on March 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

He has been straying from the Word for quite awhile.

multiuseless on March 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

As a Christian, I wish Pat Robertson would shut up.

vcferlita on March 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Finally! Some rationality from Pat Robertson! I wonder if he has a pot farm in Virginia Beach? Oh well, it is up to dopers and druggies to wreck their lives if they want – there are plenty of drunks and cigarette smokers out there that do so every day with legal, harmful drugs and activities.
I’ll tell you one thing, though – I don’t want society to have to pay, in any way, shape or form, for the problems these dopers and druggies get themselves into. I don’t want to smell their smoke, drive on the highway with a drunk or be attacked by a crazed meth head.
So, do it if you want but don’t show up on the courthouse steps crying “I’m hungry, I spent my last dime gettin’ hiiiiiiiiiiiigh….” Most people won’t be responsible, though, and the thing we will get is revenue from drug users and expenditure reductions in the War on Drugs (and Druggies). Good luck, y’all!

ExpressoBold on March 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Mr. Robertson is beginning to remind me of that preacher who keeps predicting the rapture, isn’t it Harold Camping? I agree, he should retire.

plumorchard on March 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Adults should be allowed to use it if they want. I think it will be legalized eventually; the stigma just isn’t there anymore. I would bet that most of the people who are adamantly opposed to legalizing pot have never tried it, or tried it once or twice and had a bad experience.

Dork B. on March 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Does that leave out sinsemilla?

profitsbeard on March 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM

A great theological question. But given that sinsemilla can produce seeds, and lots of them, I think not. If so that would mean that man can’t nurture the sprouts of any plant, and can only use ones that had already gone to seed, and that would make agriculture impossible.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

ardenenoch on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Nonsense. I’m conservative and think it should be legal. Ain’t nobody’s business what a man grows in his backyard for recreational purposes.

Rational Thought on March 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

On this topic, he’s right.

Mister Mets on March 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Drug dealers are considered evil, often akin to murderers. But these only fulfill a consensual market transaction. No death penalty for drug “kingpins.”

Then do the same to tobacco executives!

anotherJoe on March 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I agree with Mr. Robertson. It’s time to legalize it, or at least let states legalize it.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Irrelevant. I’m adamantly in favor of legalizing pot–and heroin and cocaine, for that matter–and I’ve never touched anything stronger than 20-year-old single-malt scotch. Don’t play the prohibitionists’ ad hominem games.

Fabozz on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

FloatingRock on March 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

What’s your take on the vibe up there in Washington with the impending legalization measure on the ballot?

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Kriggly on March 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM

I think the issue most Christians have with marijuana are people who use it in such a manner as to get high/mellow from it.

The Scriptures forbid believers from drug abuse and getting drunk (ingesting it for non medicinal purposes) – not from having bits of it poured over the head in the form of oil.

MadisonConservative on March 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I agree with Robertson on some issues, but not on others. As for this drug legalization business, I don’t have a strong opinion on it either way.

I think Robertson’s tendency to blame people for their own suffering might be from his belief in Word of Faith (prosperity gospel) teachings.

People who believe in Word of Faith will tell other Christians if their cancer hasn’t been healed, their marriage has not been restored, or their finances are not doing well, it’s because they didn’t have enough faith.

I am a Christian, but I reject the Word of Faith teachings, and that’s just one of the reasons why (it’s a very cruel position, to tell people who are in pain they’re at fault in some way for the pain they’re in).

Sometimes people do bring their suffering on themselves from sin or by poor decisions, but that is not always the case.

The Bible tells us there are different reasons why bad things happen to people, and it’s not always their fault.

TigerPaw on March 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM

“whether pot is legal or illegal doesn’t seem to matter much in the grand scheme of things to me.”

You are wrong. The War on Drugs has cost us untold billions of dollars and many lives, filled our prisons, invited a criminal-based black market, and militarized our police (no knock raids anyone?). Didn’t you learn from Prohibition? The Prohibition of the 20s gave us the likes of Al Capone, the drug prohibition of today gives us MS13 and the drug cartels.

If drugs were legal, sold like alcohol, and taxed, the criminal element would be removed and it would help the economy. Several South American countries are looking at legalization because the drug cartels are destroying them. It won’t be effective without the US however, so they have to wait for us to come to our senses. For the most part, drugs do not cause violence, it’s the prohibition of them that does.

Marijuana especially is far less lethal than alcohol, no one has ever died of an overdose and any car accidents caused by someone with pot in their system also had some other substance in their system, usually alcohol. Pot does NOT impair your senses the way alcohol does. Portugal has seen drug use go down since they legalized, not up. Those who want drugs will do them, legal or not and legalizing them will not make drug users out of people who never were before. If there’s concern about addicts, then spend some of the money saved from police militarization and use it for treatment.

Finally, the federal government has no business telling anyone what they can put into their own bodies, pot, salt or sugar. They have no business breaking down someone’s door, killing their dog, kid or grandma either. You are either for government based on the Constitution or you’re not.

Common Sense on March 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Fabozz on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Indeed. Lots of the biggest drug warriors (George W Bush, Bamster Obama) were noted drug enthusiasts in their earlier years. Using or not using is not a good indicator. Many non users fully support the logically consistent position of freedom.

That said, many of the most ignorant anti-pot arguments come from people who never partaked.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Awesome ! Simply effing terrific !!!!

Contaception
Abortion
Gay marriage
Decriminalizing Pot

Whats next……
Lets get going back onto the stem cell debate-
What a bunch of moron’s the Rs are for allowing the socialists to control the dialogue= over and over- stupid -stupid -stupid

ABO really = talk about ANYTHING BUT OBAMA !

FlaMurph on March 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Don’t play the prohibitionists’ ad hominem games.

Fabozz on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I don’t understand what you mean, can you explain that to me?

Dork B. on March 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

One more benefit of legalization, it would be legal to grow hemp, essentially an easy to grow weed that requires little water, fertilizer, or pesticide, and that’s a great renewable resource for rope, clothing, shoes, etc.

Common Sense on March 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

ABO really = talk about ANYTHING BUT OBAMA !

FlaMurph on March 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hey, if Romney embraced the legalization angle he’d crush Obama.

bernverdnardo1 on March 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’d guess it has a chance but haven’t been watching the polls.

FloatingRock on March 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Rational Thought on March 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Do you have a still, too?

ExpressoBold on March 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

ABO really = talk about ANYTHING BUT OBAMA !

FlaMurph on March 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Obama is on the wrong side of gay marriage (“evolving”, right…empty words for his generally pro-gay liberal supporters), drug legalization (he’s ratched up the raids since even Booosh), and of course abortion. People who care about any one of these issues are generally not especially pleased with him (except partisan phonies who will apologize for anything, as long as its their guy in charge – Republicans have a lot of those as well though)

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Dear Rev. Robinson:

You high?
:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Common Sense on March 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

And don’t forget paper products. Some of the US’s most sacred and important documents were recorded on hemp paper.

Daikokuco on March 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Robertson, that is.

p.s. Pass the dutchie ‘pon de left hand side.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM