WW2 vet fails voter ID test in Ohio

posted at 9:15 am on March 7, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

We always knew that once new voter ID laws were in place, some people were going to fail to qualify at their polling place and a predictable amount of sturm und drang would result. Well, it’s already taken place in Ohio on Super Tuesday. Had it been some person who lacked an ID card because he’d just gotten out of jail and had a long time to wait until his seventeen DWI suspensions cleared, he wouldn’t provide a very sympathetic case for opponents to trumpet. Unfortunately, the situation of Paul Carroll paints a very different media narrative.

AURORA, Ohio – A Portage County World War II veteran was turned away from a polling place this morning because his driver’s license had expired in January and his new Veterans Affairs ID did not include his home address.

“My beef is that I had to pay a driver to take me up there because I don’t walk so well and have to use this cane and now I can’t even vote,” said Paul Carroll, 86, who has lived in Aurora nearly 40 years, running his own business, Carroll Tire, until 1975.

“I had to stop driving, but I got the photo ID from the Veterans Affairs instead, just a month or so ago. You would think that would count for something. I went to war for this country, but now I can’t vote in this country.”

It doesn’t get much worse than this in terms of the MSM narrative. The guy isn’t just a law abiding senior citizen, but he’s a veteran of the second world war to boot. With a cane. And he had an ID card provided by Veterans Affairs. This is a dream come true for progressive opponents of voter ID laws to jump on for an end zone dance, and it’s already started.

Yes, Mr. Carroll could have filled out a provisional ballot, and he was offered one at his polling place. But – again – he provides the perfect response, saying the print was too small and he’d forgotten his glasses and wasn’t sure if they counted the provisional ballots anyway.

This case should be instructive for everyone, no matter which side of the debate you come down on. When enacting voter ID laws, there need to be a few basic hurdles which all of them should pass. If you’re going to accept any existing forms of ID above and beyond a drivers license, identify all of them out there and work to make sure they will pass muster before enacting the law. But even that won’t be enough in some instances. One suggestion I just heard recently was to make an offer of a free, valid photo ID part of the voter registration process. If the person doesn’t choose to take one, make them initial something on the registration form acknowledging that they passed on the chance. This would also remove the entire “poll tax” question from the process.

And finally, each state doing this should be working with other state and federal agencies to come up with some sort of minimum amount of information which will be displayed on the document. (This could apply to universities as well.) If the Veterans Administration had included a home address on their cards, today’s kerfuffle never would have happened. All of this adds up to one driving imperative, though. Before you can cleanly put laws like this in place, a lot of planning is required. Hopefully other states will learn from Ohio’s stumble.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You know what? I don’t feel bad for this guy. He should have actually gotten a valid ID. If the Vet. Affairs folks told him that their ID was good for voting, then they should have probably made sure that it was, you know, actually good for voting.

Vancomycin on March 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Hard cases make bad law. Is Paul Carroll’s the more typical situation, or is it somebody who came to America illegally ten years ago, and now feels like they should vote?

RBMN on March 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

The Left pretends voter fraud doesn’t exist…because they rely on it to “win” elections.
Voter fraud is epidemic in some areas…like those areas of Wisconsin that are a short drive from Chicago. And it was getting epidemic in areas of Ohio too. He should have used the “Provisional Ballot”, but now will become the new Fluke for the Left!

Justrand on March 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Up here in Maine, a state ID, which looks just like a driver’s license and has all the needed info, costs just $5 and it’s good for 8 years.

I heard some folks complaining about “the poor” being saddled with an extra expense to vote. You know what? I volunteer at the local soup kitchen. I’ve been to help and donate at the clothing exchange and food bank. Those “poor people” always seem to have plenty of money for gas, smokes and beer. If they can afford those, they can afford $5 for the State ID card.

TKindred on March 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

This is not good!

KOOLAID2 on March 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

So we have 1 person not able to vote because he had improper ID? Can we now get a story on how many illegal votes were not cast because of the same security?

dirtseller on March 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

My maternal grandfather was a vet of WWII. So was my paternal one. And my step-grandpa.
None of them were stupid enough to NOT renew an ID.
Thank you for your service, Sir.
But YOU are just adding to the problem.

Badger40 on March 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

At least he has time to get sorted out before the general election.

landshark on March 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Unfortunately, the laws of probability are going to impact this process. Whenever you tighten up the process to correctly reject those who shouldn’t be included, you will necessarily incorrectly reject more of those who SHOULD be included. We should expect more of these stories–and I’m pretty sure we won’t be hearing about all those who were CORRECTLY rejected.

Dee2008 on March 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Hundreds of millions of voters and we end up with a few errors…if you told me that I would have 10 million to one odds of winning anything, I would take that bet every time…
Mistakes, errors, lightening strikes, trees falling…I would bet more people were killed in cars going to vote, than people who were denied their “rights” to vote.

right2bright on March 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

The argument for voter ID can really be boiled down to this: When one person is turned away from the voting booth for lack of valid ID, it’s unfortunate but only prevents that one individual from voting.

Voter fraud, on the other hand, almost always involves a systematic ballot box-stuffing deception, which creates many fake votes. Given this distinction, I think I’d rather deal with the heartbreak of an individual not being able to vote than for someone to fake dozens or even hundreds of fake votes that are deliberately intended to falsify results.

There are other options for an individual without a valid ID, and I’m betting this veteran learned a lesson about keeping his IDs and personal information up to date.

frode on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Most illegal immigrants are so scared of being caught that they won’t even speak to police after being victimized in a crime. I doubt the “typical” situation involves such a brazen act as trying to vote for people who don’t even speak the same language.

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

That’s really to bad.
THEIR CHOICE.
They can go home if they’re so afraid to be here.
That IS an option for them.
I went to school with many illegals immigrants at John Tyler HS in Tyler TX.
I don’t feel sorry for any of them.

Badger40 on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I take the very cold-blooded view of this. Voting is not like a criminal trial, in which we go out of our way to offer protection for defendants, even to the point of letting the guilty walk rather than risk unjustly sentencing the innocent (in theory). In contrast, the risks of Ohio’s ID law are very minor. Voting is a serious matter and I am fine with the possibility that a few otherwise legitimate voters exclude themselves due to poor preparation or just bad luck, if those ID provisions keep the much larger number of clearly illegal voters away from the process.

jwolf on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I don’t feel one bit sorry for the guy. I had to stand behind two morons last cycle here in IL who claimed to have no idea what precinct they were supposed to vote in. The polling place judge could do everything in her power to help, EXCEPT ASKING THEM FOR THEIR ADDRESS! They got provisional ballots and then probably went on to the next polling place to try and vote.

southsideironworks on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Why doesn’t the Veterans Affair ID include his address?

Fallon on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I would be okay with providing a ‘free’ photo ID for voting purposes if it means we continue to require it. The greater good demands it, even if it means us taxpayers have to pony up the cash for instances such as these.

I went to my polling location prepared with not only my driver’s license, but also my conceal carry license as the latter was the one with my current address.

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

RBMN on March 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Of course you ignore the radical element of the illegal immigration…they are organized, well funded, and (quite frankly) illegal.

right2bright on March 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

frode on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Except it really doesn’t – that’s what provisional ballots are for. It just means you don’t vote in the traditional way, but you can still vote. In my polling location (in central Ohio), there were big signs on the door that specifically addressed provisional ballots.

Is there a reason why one of the poll workers couldn’t have assisted him with that ballot if he stated it was too hard to read? Are they not allowed?

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Nonsense. A singularity is not a pattern. Sometimes a voter ID law will inconvenience the occasional voter. That’s not to say we should let undocumented people vote.

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Meanwhle, an activist Lawgiver-In-Black who signed a Recall Walker petition circulated by his wife and who is on the April ballot “temporarily” suspended Wisconsin’s voter ID law just in time to ensure his uncontested re-election.

Steve Eggleston on March 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Nope, I don’t feel sorry for him. We are not talking about valid driver’s licenses but valid ID cards. There is a big difference and that man should have known better.

I second frode on this one.

BigGator5 on March 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Just think of all the thousands of illegal aliens who didn’t get to vote. Very small price to pay, comparitively speaking.

Turtle317 on March 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

So Mr. Carroll shows up without ID or his glasses? How is this an indictment of a system that tries to keep the fidelity of all the people who legitimately vote but have to contend with the gangs from ACORN and other places that engage in voter fraud?

I’m sorry but Virginia has had ID requirements for years and you don’t hear stories like Mr. Carroll’s. A valid ID for voting has to include an address- how is the election official going to know if Mr. Carroll is in the right place from a Veteran’s ID card?

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Unfortunate, but there are two things to keep in mind. 1. As someone previously mentioned, he could have just gotten a state-issued ID card. It would have had all of the required information.
2. Because of his age and physical condition, he likely qualified to vote absentee (at least he would have qualified to vote absentee here in Indiana).

Bru on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Ohio doesn’t have a state ID card available?

I find it hard to believe that a valid ID with home address isn’t required for other things. You know, like banking, other business with the state government, etc.

ButterflyDragon on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

We knew they would start finding their anecdotes.

A million fake votes are OK and we don’t need to report those… we’ll just find one sympathetic figure who got caught in the details and make that the example. /MSM

mankai on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

southsideironworks on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

In Virginia, you have to state your full name and address along with providing a valid ID. I don’t think this is a cumbersome requirement.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Where’s the stories about fraudulent voters who were turned away?

ACORN hardest hit.

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Wife beating is a poor argument for abolishing marriage.

Akzed on March 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Does Ohio use smaller print on their provisional ballots than on the regular ballots?

I once cast a provisional ballot here in AZ, and the print size was the same on my ballot as on the regular ballots. If Mr. Carroll couldn’t read the print on the provisional ballot, then how was he going to read the regular ballot?

Also, surely one of the poll workers explained the purpose of provisional ballots to Mr. Carroll. If Mr. Carroll was unsure what they were for or if his would be counted, why didn’t he simply ask?

Sounds like this guy was looking for an excuse to complain. Are we sure he wasn’t a liberal plant?

AZCoyote on March 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

He was offered a provisional ballot and turned it down, so he wasn’t prevented from voting. That truth won’t matter to liberals who want to make an example of him, though.

JannyMae on March 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Oh, and I don’t think that VA ID will get Paul Carroll a checking account, allow him to buy alcohol at an establishment that requires even octegenarians to be carded, or past a TSA security checkpoint.

Steve Eggleston on March 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

ACORN hardest hit.

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Not to mention the Democrats banking on securing the votes of Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, and the dead.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I think the real problem here is the person behind the table and any supervisor in attendance. In spite of being out of date, did the license describe the man? Did it show an address consistent with the voter rolls? Who cares if the thing is expired, if it confirms the identity of the voter?

Bureaucratic boneheads as I see it.

FOWG1 on March 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I have no problem with this story AT ALL. Sure the old guy is sympathetic and I am sorry about HIS screw up.

But if my vote is not going to count, I’d rather it be because I screwed up and not because my vote was being cancelled out by someone who shouldn’t have voted in the first place.

dirtseller on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Fallon on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Military IDs don’t have addresses, period. You can be assigned anywhere at anytime and so they cut the expense of giving you a new one every five months.

Same goes with VA IDs. Most retire vets travel and so can get treated at any VA hospital/clinic.

BigGator5 on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Sounds like the law’s working properly to me. I wish we had some prayer of getting a similar law ‘daown heah’.

Knott Buyinit on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Where’s the stories about fraudulent voters who were turned away?

ACORN hardest hit.

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

You do realize that ACORN doesn’t exist any longer, and shut down back in 2010, right?

theoddmanout on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

As a 30 year navy vet, I have no sympathy for this guy. He should know the rules, particularly given that he was in the military, which is chock-a-block full of rules and regulations. And pulling the, “I’m a WWII Vet” card doesn’t cut it.

WordsMatter on March 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

One voter ID, not 50. This guy could have accepted a provisional ballot and cast his vote. BS sob story. We must require proof to vote or end up a complete tyranny.

dogsoldier on March 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

With regard to our legal system, some innocent people get convicted and sometimes guilty people go free, and people say, “It’s not perfect, but it’s the best system there is.” Like that, a few people who should vote won’t be able to, a few people who shouldn’t will be able to, but most votes will be of those who are qualified. Is it perfect? No, but it may be as good as it gets.

trinket509 on March 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Sorry, he was offered a provisional ballot and refused it. Without his glasses, he could have asked for assistance in filling it out; poll workers can do this in a supervised manner.

He refused his options, unfortunately; but they WERE offered.
(And, yes, provisionals are normally counted.)

michaelo on March 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

No system works perfectly 100% of the time. I’m fine with the 1 in 1000 cases like this in exchange for reducing ACORN fraud.

angryed on March 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

In Minnesota, you can register on election day with a name, an address, and any registered voter to say “yes, he lives there.” That’s it.

RBMN on March 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

There are other options for an individual without a valid ID, and I’m betting this veteran learned a lesson about keeping his IDs and personal information up to date bringing his glasses so he can fill out a provisional ballot.frode on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

More accurate. No one told him he couldn’t vote, just that his registration would need to be verified (via the provisional ballot) in the absence of proper ID.

By the way, why would a 2-month-expired driver’s license not be valid ID? He can’t legally drive with it, but it is still state-issued picture ID.

iurockhead on March 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

If you can’t read the print on the provisional ballot, explain to me how you can read the print on the regular?

Sorry but I smell BS from a mile away.

gdonovan on March 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Bureaucratic boneheads as I see it.

FOWG1 on March 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Two points.

First, I don’t know about Ohio but most states have pretty strict laws on what elections officials can and can not do.

Secondly, the whole point of a provisional ballot was to provide the kind of latitude you are talking about. It is wrong-headed on your part to call an election official doing their job as a bureeaucratic bonehead.

Fact of the matter is that it is unfortunate that Mr. Carroll had difficulty but this is hardly an indictment of Ohio’s voter ID process. If you want to be outraged about something look into just how often the military absentee ballots are not even counted in elections.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

The OH Election law requires a picture ID – but (and in the rabidly Dem area of northeastern OH – I can guess his color and political party influenced this sad event) you do need to bring in a utility bill to show your address.

This is parsing the definition of what meets the requirements (picture and address that match ) what is written in the voter registration book? The 2009 Election training handbook does not use the word valid at all in reference to drivers licenses. [My wife is a poll worker and keeps her books]

Apparently someone there carried their own interpretation of the ‘rules’ too far. On that – he should have taken a provisional ballot and done the best he can. So perhaps he has his own agenda here.

My son was plagued by a glitch in the eslate machine. He votes it as he can sit and not have to ‘color’ in the blocks. (He has hand issues) It did it all and as he was getting up – the machine shut down. So they called the BOE and the decision was to get a new machine. We did not want to wait (we needed to get lunch) so he just got a regular ballot, they voided out his eslate ballot and he sat and colored.

It is a shame – paper is the way to go – and I’m sorry but a picture ID is a picture ID and the address nonsense is exactly why you have a voter registration book – which the voter has to sign before getting a ballot.

jackal40 on March 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I live in Ohio, I got absentee ballot a month ago , I hate crowds. I am sure he could get one, I’m only in my fortys. I do feel for this man but we have had some of freaky election days in the last 20 years so I think its still a good thing!

angrymike on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Why doesn’t the Veterans Affair ID include his address?

Fallon

Because the Veteran Affairs “ID” isn’t an ID card at all, like ones issued by the state. The card is used to verify that you can receive medical care at a VA Medical Center.

Gothguy on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Jazz is right; this is a horribly written law. The guy had a government issued ID–and it’s still not good enough for some of you.

Free Constitution on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

It’s a given that the media will treat him as a victim of the law. But I totally disagree that the state let him down. HE let his license expire just a couple of months ago. The state didn’t do that. HE assumed his Vet ID would suffice, despite what I’m sure was widespread reporting that and address was among the required items. HE left his glasses at home (how was he going to vote the regular ballot?). And HE refused the provisional ballot…I’m sure there are provisions for blind voters. He could have availed himself of those.

So there were at least FOUR opportunities he missed. NONE of them was the state’s fault. I’m sorry this happened to him. But I think Jazz way overstates the state’s obligations. This was easily avoidable…by the voter.

jeanneb on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

My 86 yr old WWII vet father voted in our primary with his state issued ID card.

No problems at all.

John Deaux on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I do feel bad for this guy. However, it appears that he couldn’t be bothered to prepare. Expired license, incorrect address on VA card, no glasses. Its not like this was a surprise election.

LilyBart on March 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

theoddmanout on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

You do realize ACORN has been rebranded and reborn, right?

HumpBot Salvation on March 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Oh yea they’re terrified of being caught by the police. That’s why they’re out in the open campaigning for Democrats.

angryed on March 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Meet Jose Franco, proud illegal immigrant and pro-amnesty activist. Jose proudly states he is “undocumented and unafraid” on his twitter account as he claims to be “Rand Paul sign hunting” in Kentucky!

Yea, no way this guy, or anyone in his organization would ever vote illegally, right Ernesto?

angryed on March 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I don’t buy it. He was most likely given a ride by a left-wing plant and the media contacted in advance to print this sob-story.

TX_HCG on March 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

My wife is a (legal) immigrant to this country and is not a US citizen. She has a valid, REAL ID compliant driver’s license that makes no mention of her citizenship status and is indistinguishable from the driver’s license of a US citizen. If she weren’t a law-abiding person, she’d have no trouble registering to vote today and casting a vote in November.

I’m just sayin’…

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I think expired drivers licenses should be OK for everything except driving. That’s what has expired, your driving privilege.

I once had a b*tch of a girl not sell me cigarettes because my DL was expired (believe me, I looked old enough to buy them!)

She was just lucky I was running errands for my dying m-i-l or we both would have been in jail that day.

So, it’s stupid not to take that as ID when it’s just being offered for that reason.

Jocon307 on March 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

theoddmanout
Go spread your lies on huffpo where their stupid enough to believe you! It might be a setup, so beat it troll!

angrymike on March 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Ernie,

Are these the scared shitless illegals you’re talking about?

They’d never, ever vote illegally, right?

angryed on March 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

theoddmanout on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

ACORN doesn’t exist as in the “artist formerly known as Prince” doesn’t exist?

Of course those people are still around. Don’t be so gullible. Changing a name means nothing.

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

so get your license renewed for the actual election

DHChron on March 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You can’t run a democracy by genuflecting to the ridiculous. Somehow blind people manage to vote.

Every conceivable contingency should be covered. Do you have an inconceivable contingency? Then you can’t vote.

So wait, does that mean you’re a second class citizen!? Yes. Is that outrageous? Sure. The Earth continues to hurtle through space.

HitNRun on March 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Stories like this just don’t happen on their own.

Follow the money and you’ll find some Soros funded organization egging him on.

rickyricardo on March 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

theoddmanout on March 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Yeah, right [wink wink, nod nod]

ACORN is completely gone and all those people who got caught in voter fraud no longer are working to that end. Sorry I forgot the official story.

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Meh

Deafdog on March 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I happen to live in a city that has a significant illegal community and I have personally witnessed illegals talking to police openly admitting they were illegals.

Please stop stating your assumptions as if they were fact.

John Deaux on March 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Exactly the kind of problems one is going to run into with Voter ID laws on the books. No should have to wait 2 hours at the DMV and pay $XX to simply…vote (and trust me, they’ll have to wait for whatever “freebie ID” is offered also). It’s absurd. Have stricter rules regarding voting that are currently on the books, not this.

DanStark on March 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Here’s something I don’t understand:

My driver’s license shows two things, as far as I can tell: it identifies me (i.e., proves that the picture and biometric ID encoded in it belong to my name) and it shows that under the laws of my state I am allowed to drive a car. Now, if that license expires, I am no longer allowed to drive a car by law, so clearly I shouldn’t be able to rent a car with an expired license and in a traffic stop I can’t show that license to the officer and expect not to get arrested. But the expired license will continue to identify me, so why should the elections official turn me away?

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I have no idea why the address being current should matter – as long as the ID itself is valid as a WAY OF POSITIVELY IDENTIFYING WHO YOU ARE, then it doesn’t matter what the address says.

If I change addresses, has my identity changed? Who I am isn’t tired to where I live.

Look, the government overlooked something as obvious as this. Yet they are perfectly qualified to make decisions regarding our insurance and healthcare.

Pure genius.

blindside on March 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

DHChron
hey buddy, what happens to the Jose’s of the world who trespass down in Texas?
I have friends in Kentucky, they call ppl like Jose, History, and their never heard from again.

angrymike on March 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

ACORN doesn’t exist as in the “artist formerly known as Prince” doesn’t exist?

HotAirian on March 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Yeah, right [wink wink, nod nod]

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ok then, so what did ACORN change their name to then? They must have been some sneaky devils to be able to re-organize, change their name, and continue to fund themselves after having all of their funding taken away by congress, going bankrupt, and shutting down all of their chapters in 2010. All without having anyone notice whatsoever-including conservative websites such as this one apparently.

theoddmanout on March 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Happy Nomad on March 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Right. And I’ve not heard anyone complain.

Funny story – When I went to my voting place here in Henrico County yesterday, the poll worker (obviously a new trainee)asked me my name and took my license. He kept punching in my first and middle name instead of my first and last name in the computer.

He did the same thing about 5 times and kept telling me I wasn’t a registered voter! Finally got it straight though.

BacaDog on March 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Follow the money and you’ll find some Soros funded organization egging him on.

rickyricardo on March 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Yes, this story has a distinct whiff of Dim stagecraft about it. I’m guessing that this WW2 veteran is either a liberal himself, or is being manipulated by a liberal family member.

AZCoyote on March 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

so get your license renewed for the actual election

DHChron on March 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Not even just that – I’m not aware of a bank that will let you cash a check without a valid photo ID, and as I work for a bank I can tell you that we check the expiration date and can refuse if it is expired. There’s so many things you need a valid ID for, I can’t understand why this guy would let his license expire and not worry about getting another – or at least a state ID card, which we have – just because he doesn’t drive anymore.

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

What else would you expect?

Aurora is in the Dem stronghold of north east Ohio. They will be pulling this kind of crap all year because they hate the law requiring ID.

Just because his driver’s license had expired it didn’t make it an invalid form of ID, it only means that he was not legally allowed to drive. Especially since he had a second form of ID.

He was not allowed to voted because he was a VET.

Sporty1946 on March 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

He’s an idiot that didn’t have a proper ID.

faraway on March 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Sometimes idiots have canes.

faraway on March 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

This seems like a conflagration of a bunch of bad things all happening at once. I don’t think forming law based on outlying occurrences is a good idea. It was unfortunate but that’s life.

princetrumpet on March 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

ernesto on March 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hahaha. Yes, most illegal aliens are terrified of being caught because they know that . . . absolutely nothing is going to happen to them if they are caught.

AZCoyote on March 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Do I have to have an address to vote in Ohio? What about the homeless?

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We all know that Liberal laws are taken off the books the first time they don’t work, right?

Some fix-ups could certainly be entertained. I don’t know why an out-of-date driver’s license wouldn’t still be a reasonable form of ID if it can be determined that it was correctly issued and there is additional documentation of residency like a utility bill.

This guy had so many things go wrong and the media coverage was so immediate that I have to wonder if this wasn’t a set-up.

Socratease on March 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

He forgot his glasses, yet he was just about to vote.

faraway on March 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

dirtseller on March 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Thank you for posting common sense, a quality that seems severely lacking during the “dumbing down of America”.

Amjean on March 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

angrymike on March 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I’ll put it this way – you know the guy in The Big Lebowski? Don’t fvck with the Jesus? We would fvck with him

DHChron on March 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Because if someone stole an identity and managed to get a license under that ID, got caught, but still tried to use it later on for something….. that’s just one scenario that pops into my head.

That and people’s appearances can change drastically over time, but if you start making all these exceptions to the rule about how long the ID has been expired for it to still be usable, then you open another can of worms in terms of people bending/breaking those rules, so it’s easier just to say ‘expired = bad’ and have done with it.

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

DanStark on March 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Stricter rules such as? The problem is that no identification was required to vote in Ohio (as a former resident I know this for a fact). I walked in, told them my address and my name, and signed in the their book. That was all I had to do, and I could have claimed I was ANYONE.

If the Sheriffs in North Carolina can require me to apply in person to purchase a permit for $5 and do a background check that takes several weeks before I can buy a HANDGUN, then requiring someone to have a valid, state-approved ID before they can vote isn’t asking too much.

It doesn’t have to be a Drivers license – it can be a VA ID, state ID card, ANYTHING that is relatively secure and difficult to counterfeit that includes your picture. The idea that just stating your name, address, and signing a piece of paper is ‘secure’ is absurd.

blindside on March 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

13 dollars for a state ID here – not exactly a wallet buster :) unless you’re Sandra Fluke

DHChron on March 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Do I have to have an address to vote in Ohio? What about the homeless?

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Well then the Democrats just bus you into whatever state you’re needed most to vote and give you free food and cigarettes for your trouble. ;-)

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I’ve been an Election Judge. Provisional ballots are the tool to use when there is a legitimate question concerning a voter’s eligibility. I’ll say that most get tossed because people try to vote in the wrong precinct, or are no longer on the rolls, but in Mr. Carroll’s case, I’m certain that it would have counted.

He could also have asked for assistance in the reading of the ballot. I’ve walked the electronic ballot out to many a car and waited while a voter cast their ballot. Assiatance is available and meant to be.

Photo ID critics can (and yes, will) jump on this, but despite the unfortunate set of circumstances in which Mr. Carroll found himself, there were institutional alternatives which he declined.

NeoCon_1 on March 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

blindside on March 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

You’re correct about how easy it was to vote here in Ohio prior to the new law – I would always have my ID out and ready when I voted, and no one ever asked for it or even paid attention to it if I laid it on the table in front of them. They didn’t even really take the time to look at my signature to compare it to the prior year’s, which is in the book you sign right next to where the current signature goes.

In fact, I have been waiting for 3 years now for the Board of Elections to resolve an issue regarding the fact that their voting history online shows me voting in an election that I know for a fact I did not vote in, but apparently they have to pull the signature book out of storage etc etc etc. I’m past caring at this point, but who knows what happened.

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Capital punishment for voter fraud with the cases heard by judges appointed by the losing party.

IlikedAUH2O on March 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

tdpwells on March 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Where do I sign up?

IlikedAUH2O on March 7, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Here’s something I don’t understand:

Time Lord on March 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Because where you vote is based on where you live. Your license shows where you live. It’s not a given that everyone changes their address on their licenses when they move. But an unexpired license is more likely to show a valid current address than an expired one. And if you could use expired licenses, it would be easier to fake a license from say 1970 which didn’t have any biometric info, holograms, etc.

angryed on March 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

jackal40 on March 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

In the written description (pg 55) the Election book does state current and valid drivers license. (as opposed to the picture examples on pages 56 & 57) – I was wrong.

If he knew he had to hire a driver to get there:
1) why did he not just vote absentee (free to do)
2) get a OH ID card ($8) after his drivers license expired
3) insure that he had his glasses, and valid proof of his current address
4) have someone read the questions to him on the front of the provisional ballot – what was he going to do about reading the actual ballot without his glasses?

This is a slipshod story from beginning to end, and is so typical of agenda driven journOlists and media of today.

jackal40 on March 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

NeoCon_1 on March 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

But this man fought in WORLD WAR TWO, and now you’re telling him that he needs help to read in his own g——n country?/

This is such an obvious ACORN or Soros job. The tell is that it’s in the news the next day. If it were an honest case of a crotchety old man’s tale — at a primary, no less — it would take days to wend its way into the media.

HitNRun on March 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM