Too good to check: After ripping on Rush Limbaugh, Axelrod planning appearance on Bill Maher’s show

posted at 10:18 pm on March 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

The “war on women” messaging is getting highly nuanced indeed, my friends.

David Axelrod, President Obama’s senior campaign strategist, is scheduled to appear on Bill Maher’s late-night talk show within the next few weeks, according to Kelley Carville, an HBO spokesman.

As the controversy over Rush Limbaugh’s comments about Sandra Fluke continued, a former Obama White House official today joined Republicans in pointing out that Maher, who recently donated $1 million to a pro-Obama super PAC, has a history of his misogynistic slurs…

“palin is right to point out that bill maher has said some pretty disgusting things about women, comedian or not. they are rush like,” Austan Goolsbee, the former chairman of President Obama’s Council on Economic Advisors, and currently a professor at the University of Chicago, tweeted…

In a conference call with reporters today, Axelrod invoked Limbaugh on several occasions.

He could cancel on Maher, but because the show is dogmatically liberal and merrily vicious towards the right, the media considers it “hip” and Axelrod doesn’t want to squander that brand. Besides, why forfeit an opportunity to push his “war on women” garbage? Better to show up and follow a script in which he pretends to scold Maher for his language towards women and Maher pretends to be contrite. (Maher’s sufficiently uncomfortable with the attention he’s gotten lately for his own rhetoric that he’s taken to Twitter to try to call off the dogs on Rush.) That’s win/win — Axelrod gets to look chivalrous and Maher gets to symbolically seek redemption. A perfect ending to the ridiculous melodrama of the past two weeks.

Oh, by the way: The Daily neglected to mention that Ax himself has been known to make a questionable crack or two in his time. Remember this clip from NPR back when the left was enjoying its Two Minutes Hate at Carrie Prejean? Good thing Axelrod’s boss doesn’t oppose gay marriage like she does.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I am learning to hate.

Scotsman on March 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Teach your fellow Scots

WryTrvllr on March 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

“Time Warp” issues should be fixed now.

One of the servers insisted on living two minutes and fifty-two seconds in the future. It has been fired from its job as a Hot Air server until it can learn to join the rest of us in the present.

Mark Jaquith on March 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

The left is done. This is the best they can do? All they’ve got is to stir up these nonsense controversies. Why isn’t Axelrod polishing Obama’s turd of a record? Because it is beyond polishing.

The Count on March 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

if you guys are looking through year old videos to find professional comedians making fun of sarah palin you are gonna have hundreds of hours to go through! so get going that way you can have your outrageously outraged “gotcha moment” on Drudge w/ a red siren before Limbaugh loses more sponsors….

DBear on March 7, 2012 at 11:18 PM

I know it was before you were spawned, but in 2001 Maher was not just fired from ABC, he lost sponsors before doing so.

F-

Del Dolemonte on March 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I agree with The Count. 2012 will be about Obama. Nobody will remember the slut that was. It will be all about the Obama record, and Obama weariness — which afflicts the left as well as the right.

minnesoter on March 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

“Time Warp” issues should be fixed now.

Mark Jaquith on March 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

For real?

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

“We are seeing it. We are seeing the fabric of this country fall apart, and it’s falling apart because of single moms.”

Rusty Allen on March 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

For real?

JPeterman on March 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Preview now works on Headlines too.

slickwillie2001 on March 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Rusty Allen on March 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

But why all the single moms?

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

“Besides, why forfeit an opportunity to push his “war on women” garbage? Better to show up and follow a script in which he pretends to scold Maher for his language towards women and Maher pretends to be contrite. (Maher’s sufficiently uncomfortable with the attention he’s gotten lately for his own rhetoric that he’s taken to Twitter to try to call off the dogs on Rush.) That’s win/win — Axelrod gets to look chivalrous and Maher gets to symbolically seek redemption. A perfect ending to the ridiculous melodrama of the past two weeks”

As much as I do not want to admit this: This is genius. Breitbart would have a field day with this classic “controlling the narrative” episode.

I truly despise these libs with their ability to control a message that is based on a lie and out-of-bounds corrupt.

Opposite Day on March 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM

burrata on March 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Thanks for the memories. But it wasn’t a rip on the military, it was a rip on Clinton for lobbing cruise missiles. Ain’t got nothing on our fighting men and women. Period.

John the Libertarian on March 8, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Axelrod isn’t a man, and neither is Maher. I couldn’t care less what they have to say.

Christien on March 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Truth is stranger than fiction.

I mean….look at the guy! With a name face and personality like his you just gotta assume he is a real
charmer.

And I bet he feeds on negative stuff written about himself.

Axelrod should be in pictures and or films.

Freddy and Jason and Michael Myers got nothing on Axelrod.

Leave it to Obama to have a creep like this working for him….

Pitiful!

Sherman1864 on March 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Axelrod planning appearance on Bill Maher’s show

Right after he delivers the keynote speech at a Santorum fundraiser.

crosspatch on March 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Sasha and Malaria are sad :(

OxyCon on March 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM

You know Allahpundit, calling this POS, “Ax” is just a bit to personal for my tastes given this guys history and background.

All thoughtless jerks like this should be reminded of the daughters that they’ve created when they make their remarks for the purpose of political theater.
I’d bet they’d be the first to take up arms if anyone said one untoward word about their own females.
It shows just how cheap, tawdry and Un~American bastids like Axelrod really are.

DevilsPrinciple on March 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM

when will Santorm give his money back to the guy who said women should hold aspirins between their legs for birth control?

DBear on March 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Why would it not be surprising to learn that your Mother had a headache the night you were spawned?

DevilsPrinciple on March 8, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Rusty Allen on March 8, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Rick Santorum is a retrograde bigot. Thank you for sharing that quote.

The people who really want Santorum are the ones who want Obama to have an easy opponent.

Santorum would guarantee an Obama landslide victory.

The sanctimonious bigot Rick Santorum is a joke, and I’m glad he has no chance at the nomination.

bluegill on March 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM

I work in a building full of single women, I’m inclined to agree with that quote “bluegill”

They don’t have a clue how laws work till one bites them on the ass but can tell you who is on American Idol at any given moment. Their idols are Paris Hilton, Lohan and Spears.

Harriet Tubman? Amelia Earhart? Clara Barton? Never heard of them.

Its all about me. me. me. and screw you whos going to pay for it.

gdonovan on March 8, 2012 at 5:58 AM

bluegill on March 8, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Just because people are traditional and think that those values have stood the test of time doesn’t make them bigots. You don’t make your case for your candidate by name calling.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Mark Jaquith on March 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

I guess I’ll rethink that large investment in the lottery since I think this means I don’t have ESP after all. I assume this means I am not as quick witted or the speed typer I thought I was either.

Cindy Munford on March 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Goolsbee is obviously not a an English professor. I hate it when lazy people can’t capitalize proper names.

BierManVA on March 8, 2012 at 6:50 AM

What’s the story here? Democrat women have always been cool with violence, physical or verbal, as long as the “man” directs the government to play Sugar Daddy at the end of the night.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MNHawk on March 8, 2012 at 7:34 AM

I am learning to hate.

Scotsman on March 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Learning? It comes with the DNA of every Scot.

BTW, everything else is crraaap!

LoganSix on March 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

You’ve got to hand it to liberals, sincerely. They can be much more vicious than anyone on the right, and get away with it. They can oppose Gay marriage like Obama, and not get slammed for it. I mean I personally support gay marriage and the only woman I ever called a bad name was that dope that almost ran me off the road, but I voted for Bush twice so I’m still a nazi.

We get that sort of pass on national security I think. I wish we got it on fiscal responsibility but our edge is really thin there and is eclipsed totally by the democrats “Here’s some free stuff!”

Dash on March 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Rick Santorum is a retrograde bigot. Thank you for sharing that quote.

Santorum would guarantee an Obama landslide victory.

Just a question: how is that you think that all these single mothers with babies out of wedlock and ( by the same token a lily-livered man-child who made those babies not present in their lives as a working participating father) is helping society. Blind yourself to truth but the fact is it isn’t helping. we have a huge demographic problem and if you can’t see it and want to shoot the messengers well have at it.. but that make you another problem.

Noelie on March 8, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I’d like to see Axelrod standing in the Chicago wind with that combover.

lea on March 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Anyone else heard this clip from Louis CK? Not sure how much more over the top you can go. NSFW very crude language:

If you cant listen, he slams Sarah Palin, her son, and her “retard making c*”

Dash on March 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Axelgreaseball reminds me of Roy in that old Wings series. Same mustache and greasy hair and devious and evil.

Schwalbe Me-262 on March 8, 2012 at 11:00 AM

If Axelrod can call Carrie Prejean a dog, can we make fun of him for being a fat slob with a combover who looks like he never washes the hair he does have?

Colony14 on March 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM