Mitt Romney: It’s not like the president can “precisely set the price at the pump”

posted at 12:10 pm on March 7, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Yesterday, Mitt Romney said he’s “not going to say outrageous things about the president.” Trouble with that statement is that “outrageous” is a pretty subjective adjective. Outrageous to whom? Apparently, Romney meant to say he’s not going to say anything about the president that would outrage the left — because he doesn’t seem to be afraid to say something about the president that would outrage the right. In fact, he did just that earlier today, when he essentially said the president shouldn’t be held responsible for the high price of gas.

“I think people recognize that the president can’t precisely set the price at the pump,” Romney said in an interview on CNBC.

Oh, Romney, you’re right technically — but don’t you realize that precisely setting the price at the pump is also precisely what Obama longs to do? He wants to set the price of gas not so as to alleviate the burden on American consumers but so as to make his favored forms of energy more economically appealing to them.

In an excellent article in National Review magazine this month, Kevin D. Williamson illuminates this clearly. Williamson writes:

As it happens, the Obama administration has been busily undermining domestic energy production in the United States, because its central-planning manifesto says that the U.S. economy should cease to run on petroleum and begin to run on other forms of energy: wind, hydro, geothermal — air, water, and earth being the favored elements, fire being in the political doghouse. (Like I said: occultism.) In his latest budget proposal, President Obama proposes to continue offering tax benefits to U.S. manufacturers in the hope of increasing exports, but he intends to exclude from that benefit energy firms — which just happen to be positioned to export a great deal of natural gas to a world market hungry for the stuff …

So we are to double our exports, which were going to double anyway, but we’re to do so by favoring goods that nobody wants and that are not made here … over goods that are made here that everybody wants and that just happen to fall into the category of goods that represent the majority of our trade deficit.

That’s the trouble with Romney’s pledge: If he’s unwilling to unmask the president for who and what he is, he doesn’t stand a chance in November. Nobody is asking him to take cheap shots: We’re just asking him to not give the president the benefit of the doubt when the president’s purposes are pretty clear.

In the CNBC interview, Romney went on to point out many of the facts of Obama’s energy policies and noted their detrimental effects. Why the disclaimer that Obama shouldn’t be held responsible for gas prices then? What does that disclaimer accomplish? It’s one thing to refrain from insulting those with differing views in polite conversation and to avoid ad hominem attacksthose are just the rules of debate and also happen to help the debater who abides by them. It’s another to affect to be blind to reality for the sake of scoring points with those who want to obscure reality for the sake of Obama’s reelection — that just makes it that much easier for Obama to convince the electorate that he and his cadre of experts do know what’s best for them and that he should be given the chance to do it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Yes, we want ManlyRash back… anyone knows him, please let him know we are missing him….
Driver you are a smart man… don’t be afraid to speak your mind!!!

beththebaker on November 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM

We’re in touch, and he still reads – he simply no longer posts, as per his agreement. So he sees all the “farewell” and “we miss you” posts you guys throw up.

I will say this much – he’s not done yet.

Grue in the Attic on November 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM

Prove it. Linky link time…

Buy Danish on March 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Here you go Buy Danish, just a little tease…and if you take the bet, I choose the 90 period you can’t post.

And it was a blast looking back down on memory lane, manlyrash (I kept posting manlyrush) was a great poster, a real flair and I am sure well worth the money…
He went onto his own blog, now I have lost contact with him…hawkdriver may know where he is, I can’t even remember his “real” name, I had it for awhile…but hey, let’s get back to the bet.
Want to take it???

right2bright on March 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Oh for pete’s sake, I had a family dinner with kneejerk libs tonite and the lefty from Europe (naturalized citizen now), mentioned how she thinks they need to stop given breaks to the oil companies. I had fun with that one. I SCHOOLED them on these points:

1) Defined the oil depletion allowance and explained how the accounting rules require that the capital expense of the oil field exploration and development be written down against the oil pumped out of the ground. I explained how that is no different than a factory depreciating a machine. I used a widget explanation about if a machine can only make 100,000 widgets before it is replaced, for each widget produced by that machine, part of the the overall cost to acquire and install that machine is written against the widget’s price of production. They seemed to “get it” and backed off on the lefty talking points of why we need to stop giving oil companies tax breaks.

2) I told them about the Chinese buying up all of the leases in West Texas and asking them why are we allowing foreign countries to come here and take our oil away, even if at market prices?

3) I reminded them of the Chinese deep water drilling in the gulf of mexico where Obama won’t let us drill.

4) They brought up the oil pipeline that Obama is dithering over. I explained to them why the proposed location was making environmentalists go nuts and that it is a false concern because there are already thousands of miles of pipeline under our soil EVERYWHERE here in the lower 48 states.

5) We had a really bad oil pipeline spill here in 2010 that is still in a clean up stage in Michigan. The incompetent oil pipeline company had a spill that went into a stream that went into a river that goes to Lake Michigan and those peabrains running the pipeline didn’t notice for days. I used to work for a process control company, so I explained how the sensors and meters can work in a pipeline and how a distributed control system can monitor those sensors and stuff and they should have alarmed the drop in oil flow beyond the spill. I told them that was a completely avoidable accident and the company responsible needs to be hurt badly financially for really screwing up our river and lakes that were affected. I explained how a proper pipeline design and useful government regulations are not a bad thing for business and how it is cheaper from the beginning to build it right and run it right in the first place versus clean up a nasty spill later.

6) Then lefty brother in law mentioned how the Alaska oil ends up going to Asia to be refined and I explained to them what Sarah Palin did with her pipeline deal that no one else in Alaska managed to do over the past 3 decades.

SILENCE at the table.

Boom chica bow wow. WINNING.

Then I come home and find this squishy, spineless weasel taking THE major campaign issue off the table, the price of gas?!!!!

This after RomneyObamacare??!!!!

Jeepers, shoot me now.

I am back to hating Romney, as much as I hated him after being subjected to a month of negative campaign ads and robocalls before our primary day.

How can this supposedly smart business man be such a STUPID campaigner?

karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Rumney McCain!

MiCain McRomney!!

Lovely!

Obama is sleeping well after this Rumney’s performance, I can tell you that!

Ah…don’t ya love it?

Sherman1864 on March 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Rumney McCain!

MiCain McRomney!!

Lovely!

Obama is sleeping well after this Rumney’s performance, I can tell you that!

Ah…don’t ya love it?

Sherman1864 on March 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

That’s what you people said about McCain. Apparently, you don’t learn.

Decoski on March 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

It’s verrrrry funny you say that, because I say the same thing about anyone who can’t see just how different Romney is from McCain!

A lot of the ABR crowd who previously supported him in 2008 haven’t yet taken the serious time to figure out exactly why they believe that their switch says something more negative about Romney than it does about themselves.

Hint: rationalization + PTSD does not have a tendency to have a positive impact on people’s observational skills. Extra hint: if you’re not sure, and you want to determine who’s rationalizing the most in a debate, it’s a great rule of thumb to label the side that confuses snark with humor, and persistent personal attacks with persuasive, reasoned argumentation, as the side which is having the most trouble seeing reality as it actually is rather than how it wishes it were…

Bizarro No. 1 on March 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM

I would be proud to have Mitt Romney as our nominee.

I would be EMBARRASSED to have a bigot like Rick Santorum as our nominee.

bluegill on March 8, 2012 at 5:24 AM

right2bright on March 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I don’t need to make a “deal” with you. You’re the poster child for absurdity. No one is being paid to post comments here (and if they were they wouldn’t “admit” it). Manlyrash was/is a Tea Party activist, not a paid RNC or candidate’s operative.

Buy Danish on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

GOOD GOD MAN! Are you FREAKING kidding me?

How much more will it take before some of you are convinced Romney WILL NEVER beat O’communist? NEVER! Ain’t Gonna happen! As much as I’d love first for Santorum-who’s CLEARLY the most conservative of the three, Newt is the FIERCE ATTACK DOG, who actually HAS A SPINE, unlike this JELLYFISH that is MITT ROMNEY.

PATHETIC!!!

dave_ross on March 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I am back to hating Romney…
karenhasfreedom on March 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Have a nice day!

Buy Danish on March 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

The same crowd that can’t control the price of oil, wants us to believe that they could control the weather by taxing the oil (energy).

mediamime on March 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Sometimes I wonder if Romney is going to use his nomination acceptance speech at the convention to endorse Obama.

Yosoff on March 8, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Buy, I’d never venture an assertion people are paid to comment here. I’m quite certain a lot are directed to by campaigns they work with or they themselves direct. A few have even discussed their involvement in organized campaign meetings.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

hawkdriver on March 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM

No doubt some commenters volunteer for campaigns. That is a completely different scenario from being paid to comment. Indeed, at Hot Air in particular would be a difficult feat to pull off since they have a closed registration system. Meanwhile, I’m not clear as to who would have been manlyrash’s employer. Sarah Palin?

Buy Danish on March 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

OMG. I didn’t “twist” a thing, She said what she said and I quoted her directly. Stating a factual truth, that Presidents cannot “precisely” set gas prices, is not in any way, shape or form the same thing as saying someone is not “responsible” for high gas prices.

Buy Danish on March 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Hey, give these guys a break. Critical thinking is HARD.

Andrew D on March 8, 2012 at 10:29 AM

What a Idiot Romney is. I will not vote for him. If he is the best the republican party can produce then it’s time to close up shop. We need a conservative party and let the Dims and Republicans join one Lib party as there is very little difference between the two parties. I’m absolutely disgusted with the way the country is going.

mullethead on March 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

The price of gasoline, pre-Republican Convention in 2008 was over $4 per gallon. George Bush signed an executive order to allow off-shore drilling closer to shore followed by the “drill-baby-drill” convention later in 2008. By the time Barack Obama was inaugurated in Jan 2009, the price of gasoline had dropped below $2 per gallon. So, if those 2 things can scare OPEC into increasing production, believe me, the President has a great deal of power over the price at the pump, but having your Energy Secretary tout not wanting to do so is not one of those ways. If Obama said, we’re going to open all domestic drilling and exploration until we have enough oil to be self sufficient without needing any imports, the price would drop nearly overnight.

conservative4freedom on March 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Yet.

kunegetikos on March 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

would be proud to have Mitt Romney as our nominee.

I would be EMBARRASSED to have a bigot like Rick Santorum as our nominee.

bluegill on March 8, 2012 at 5:24 AM

OMG. Like that’s such a, like, cool reason to support like the Pres. For sure.

Portia46 on March 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Boom chica bow wow. WINNING.

What she said. ALL of it.

Portia46 on March 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Buy Danish on March 8, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Come on…make the deal, you are so sure of yourself…you give me your evidence, I give you mine.
I have no idea if he is paid now, I stated he was paid then…
Then you can prove how “absurd” I am…or will it be the other way around…you have nothing to lose because you are so sure of yourself.

right2bright on March 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Buy Danish on March 8, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I have the answer…just take the deal…

right2bright on March 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Here Mitt, just change “evil Boooooooooooooosh” to the obamanation and you’re set…Pay me later…

Gohawgs on March 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM