Karl Rove: Palin’s support for Gingrich proves that endorsements “don’t mean snot”

posted at 7:10 pm on March 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

I understand why BuzzFeed’s trying to turn this into a Rove/Palin war — the RINO/true conservative conflict is irresistible traffic bait — but I don’t see this as a shot aimed specifically at her so much as a statement of simple fact. Simple fact: Most endorsements don’t mean snot. Ask Romney fan Nikki Haley about that.

Karl Rove mockingly dismissed the value of Sarah and Todd Palin’s endorsements on a private conference call today, noting that their backing of Newt Gingrich in Alaska “demonstrated that endorsements don’t mean snot.”

BuzzFeed obtained the dial-in information for the conference call with Barclays Capital clients and employees, in which Rove outlined the state of the Republican race for the presidency and the path forward for the candidates…

Rove also said on the call that he expects Democrats to hold the Senate, and that Newt Gingrich is on the brink of becoming “irrelevant” to the presidential race.

Hard to judge without an exact quote but he’s probably citing her because she does, in fact, have more influence with grassroots righties than most big-name conservatives. I.e. if even Palin’s stamp of approval can’t rescue Gingrich in her home state then endorsements simply don’t matter much. Seriously, how many over the entire span of this deathless campaign have made a difference? Haley and Pawlenty, a current and former governor, respectively, couldn’t save their home states for Romney. Mike DeWine, a former senator from Ohio, flipped from Romney to Santorum but that wasn’t enough to hand the state to Team Sweater Vest. Mitt did win Arizona after McCain backed him, but according to a PPP poll taken a week before the vote, twice as many voters cited that as a negative than as a positive. (Jan Brewer’s support may have been more significant.) The only endorsement I can think of that likely did tilt an election was Rob Portman’s, partly because he campaigned hard for Romney in Ohio over the last month and a half and partly because he happens to have influence in a specific part of the state that ended up being crucial to Mitt’s win. Apart from him, who else?

Via Mediaite, here’s Steve Doocy wondering on Fox this morning why, if Palin was willing to admit that she voted for Newt in Alaska, she didn’t go ahead and formally endorse him a week ago. The answer, I think, is because she’s savvy enough to know that Rove is right. Newt’s in too deep of a hole up north and nationally for anyone to dig him out, so why should she spend valuable political capital to try? (In fact, Gingrich finished fourth in Alaska’s “presidential preference poll,” 10 points behind third-place Ron Paul.) The last time she endorsed in a major Alaska race, it didn’t end well. Go figure that she didn’t want to make the Haley/Pawlenty/DeWine mistake this time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I dislike Rove more and more the more he opens his big fat RINO mouth. GO AWAY ALREADY!!

Sporty1946 on March 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Rove is a major disappointment.

Fallon on March 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

IMO there’s an underlying war going on between the Bushies and Sarah Palin.

INC on March 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

You know, I really wish these people kept their eyes on the prize.

rob verdi on March 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Well, Palin shouldn’t exactly be called “RINO”, even though Rove is more conservative…

itsnotaboutme on March 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I didn’t know she endorsed him. I know she said she voted for him. Certainly, that would be an endorsement, I guess, but how after the fact was it. Not like she was out there giving speeches for him.

JellyToast on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Palin better watch out. She has a target on her back now that she has come out against the anointed establishment candidate Willard.

Establishment Republicans will not rest till Willard wins the nomination

liberal4life on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Neither does what Rove says – except to raise my blood pressure.

Sporty1946 on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

=================================

Terrific, Mucous for Moderates!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Endorsement are just a way for people to feel important about themselves.

philoquin on March 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

“Palins Pickers”!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Jailbreak will be on this thread like Bubba on an intern.

Kataklysmic on March 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Again, trying to mitigate ROmney’s losses with a post dimishing Palin, Allah? Predictable. You should tell your buddy Karl Rove the difference between voting for a guy and endorsing him.

And Allah, do we have to point to you that Newt won South Carolina based largely on Palin’s statement that she’d vote for him?

Apparently, a large swathe of GOP establishment believe they are Sarah Palin or they are better than Sarah Palin. Their endorsements don’t mean squat, have never meant anything. Nikki Haley is just one of the latest wannabes to find out she is not Sarah Palin.

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Then why did his boy spend the last three years buying as many endorsements as he could afford?

29Victor on March 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Its time to blow RINO’s out into the Hanky of Politics!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

and…if endorsements don’t matter, did his boy take the time out of his schedule to go “bow to Trump” for his endorsement?

29Victor on March 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

An endorsement from a notable public figure can bring notice to a struggling politician but its not magic, and it only goes so far. A well known politician will not benefit much from an endorsement due to most people having already arrived at an opinion of them.

sharrukin on March 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Speaking of snot Karl, you let the republican party become snot by not pushing W to defend himself.

tim c on March 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

funny but i dont remember Palin ever endorsing Newt nor Rick nor Mitt. she has been careful to stay out of the race as far as endorsement goes. What Palin has endorsed is a long primary where all candidates can be vetted. Now her husband endorsed Newt and I guess this proves Todd’s endrosement don’t mean snot.

unseen on March 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Thanks Tokyo Rove. Got it.

Now how exactly does this help us keep the focus on Obama?

WisRich on March 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You know how much I love Romney, promachus. Just look at how many loving posts we’ve written about him.

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You would think Rove would have made enough money playing that big fat marshmallow guy in the tire commercial to keep having to be a CINO pundit.And if Palin had decided to really endorse Gingrich and campaign with him there would have been a bigger impact.Rove and the rest of the establishment pundits are all in the tank for the pseudo-conservative fraud.And I gave up wathching FOX News a while ago because they were canonizing Mittens on a daily basis.

redware on March 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Rove also said on the call that he expects Democrats to hold the Senate

Establishment GOP’er buys into media meme. Shocking.

SouthernGent on March 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

In all fairness to AP, Rove is the one who took the shot at Palin (and I do believe it was a shot).

INC on March 7, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Karl continues to be violently jealous of Palin, her popularity, and her influence on the party. What is really meant by his statement is that HIS endorsements don’t mean snot. W didn’t call him Turd Blossum for nothing.

KyWriter on March 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Rove, you magnificent bastard!

Rixon on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

sharrukin on March 7, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Bush did not “defend” himself because RINOs entire existence edepnds ona Faustian bargain with the Left. They will attack conservatives and the right but they will never take on the left. That’s how they keep their boat afloat. Simple as that. The invective coming against Palin from the Bush camp shows that they are fully capable of attacking–the conservatives but they will never say anything about the Left.

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

the RINO/true conservative conflict

Who’re you calling a RINO here? Rove is the exact opposite of a Republican in Name Only… he’s more Republican Who Defined the Conservative Agenda for the Last Decade. Palin, while she has had some third party/moderate libertarian views (e.g. pot smoking and motorcycle helmets) is a also a reliable Conservative.

sauldalinsky on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I do think that Rubio’s vouching for Mitt as a “conservative” and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen vouching for Mitt as “pro-life” helped swing votes in Florida.

I’ll also add that the talk never matched Mitt’s walk.

INC on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

So all of Romney’s endorsements don’t mean anything either?

Okay then this is a nothing burger.

Dr Evil on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Kony Rove 2012!

carbon_footprint on March 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The media meme is that Santorum is the threat to Romney, but Gingrich is the one who deserves Rove’s insults okay then….I guess this should be filed under don’t skrew with the house that Bush built.

Because that’s all that’s going on, Romney is the WASP proxy, and Rove is shilling for him.

Dr Evil on March 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

he is rubbing it in, the schmuck!

nathor on March 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Any yes, I was joking. I despise Rove.

carbon_footprint on March 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

itsnotaboutme on March 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

In what respect charlie?

idesign on March 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

He ought to know, he’s the snot.

Speakup on March 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Says someone who “snot” as relevant any more as he thinks he is.

waterytart on March 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Can’t argue with that.

sharrukin on March 7, 2012 at 7:23 PM

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Have you got any proof of that? Exit polls etc?

JPeterman on March 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

So what’s the over/under on number of comments for this thread?

alchemist19 on March 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Shut up, Karl.

Pablo Snooze on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Rove didn’t say anything negative about Palin…what’s with all of the Palin People getting worked up about this?

Priscilla on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Buzzfeed is a member of Journolist 2.0…

d1carter on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Todd Palin [Sarah] endorsement of Newt in south carolina was HUGE! The question is, can obamney win the nomination in under $500M spent?

Mr. Sun on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

When Romney commits a gaffe, it’s endearing to you. When Palin/conservative does it, it’s an unpardonable sin. You aren’t fooling anybody.

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Whether I agree with Sarah or not; she at least speaks about what she believes. Unlike the Bulbous FatHead aka Karl the Douche Bag Rove. I wish someone would shove his little boards out his fat ass! I’m going to write Fox an email about how much I hate the bald headed bastards face.

Tbone McGraw on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

JellyToast on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

The truth is, Palin endorsed Gingrich while pretending not to have endorsed Gingrich multiple times. First was the, “if I was voting in ___ I’d vote for Newt”.

I find her wishy washy dance is kind of annoying. I don’t support Gingrich for the nomination, but I’d rather that she just came out and explicitly endorsed him rather than playing this game.

Also, if this is Rove v Palin, Rove has a lot more experience when it comes to organizing and winning elections (and he has a very good history of election night predictions).

netster007x on March 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Rove Baby Huey

Kensington on March 7, 2012 at 7:27 PM

sauldalinsky on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hey Barabara, is that you? LOL

idesign on March 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Heartache.

KeninCT on March 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

The last time she endorsed in a major Alaska race, it didn’t end well.

Don’t you think you need to qualify your statement? When she endorsed, Miller beat Murkowski in the GOP primary, so how come you are spinning it as not ending well?

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:28 PM

BTW, Karl is a professional political analyst…

d1carter on March 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I don’t think Rove’s dig was really called for, but I’m so over all the talk of the dastardly, moustache-twirling Establishment (TM) foisting Romney on the helpless TruCon victims. It’s not their fault that no plausible alternative to Romney ever emerged…

DavidW on March 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I find her wishy washy dance is kind of annoying.

netster007x on March 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I have to agree with you on that.

JellyToast on March 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Terrific, Mucous for Moderates!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Its time to blow RINO’s out into the Hanky of Politics!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM

ROFL, Canopfor!

PatriotGal2257 on March 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I am not a fan of Palin’s and dislike Gingrich, but I have to tell you, I’m beginning to really loathe this guy.

Finally the far right and the far left agree on something: They all dislike Rove.

lexhamfox on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I’m a libertarian and wouldn’t put myself in either camp, but count me in, too.

Resist We Much on March 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Says the man who is even more irrelevant than Palin.

EnochCain on March 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

lexhamfox on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Sporty1946 on March 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Karl Rove–a RINO? That’s rich. These Palin cult freaks are really entertaining to watch when they start to hyperventilate.

Palin is a tool. Rove is spot on.

Cordell on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Still afraid of strong women hey Karl.

logman1 on March 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Rove, you magnificent bastard! Snot
Rixon on March 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

DoubleClutchin on March 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

His tie looks like snot. Infected snot.

Alana on March 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Karl Rove is a waste of skin just like many others. Pffftttt…whatevah karl. Go sit in the corner and pray. idiot….

sicoit on March 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Or Mike DeWine

rogaineguy on March 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I love Sarah, but her timing has been a bit off lately. She should’ve endorsed Newt a month ago.

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Rove also said on the call that he expects Democrats to hold the Senate.

This isn’t good. I wonder what the odds were before Snowe decided to opt out of her reelection campaign?

Dr Evil on March 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Palin is a tool. Rove is spot on.

Cordell on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

The beltway speaks…LOL

idesign on March 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

What’s “endearing” about Romney’s gaffes is that they’re one of the few moments when he’s unquestionably being himself. Normally he’s a programmatic robot who has to fall back on “I love America” rhetoric because he can’t sell conservatism. When he talks about having multimillionaire friends who own NASCAR teams, though? That’s obviously from the heart. No sane politician would script that, especially given that O’s planning a class-warfare campaign. That’s how much I love Romney.

And no, I don’t treat every gaffe by a conservative as an unpardonable sin. But you need to believe that because you need to believe that any criticism of Palin is unfairly motivated by some sort of agenda. So, fine. Believe it.

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Rove also said on the call that he expects Democrats to hold the Senate,

My take away. I expect insiders and consultants support romney because he is an easy lose and they can pave the way for bush 2016

Flapjackmaka on March 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Coburn is more proof of this.

Southernblogger on March 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Rove is nothing more than a media whore. I think his time is up..he is the Bret Favre of politics.

EnochCain on March 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Bachmann is begging for the process to be over and done with, regardless of who’s in the ticket. A-ha. FOX in general and in almost every show I tune in, the Romney is gonna be ultimately the nominee is sickening.

I am gonna tune them off less and less. Stick to movies and if anything else, *yuck* CNN.

ProudPalinFan on March 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Buzzfeed is a member of Journolist 2.0…

d1carter on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

And that is the issue everyone should be focusing on.

Smith is going on a full-court press to save Barry.

budfox on March 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Tbone McGraw on March 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I was just about to submit a scathing post, but realized it would have been redundant, having read yours. There is something truly creepy about Karl Rove. I could easily see him as the minister of propaganda in a Nazi regime.

ariel on March 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Rove has OCD. Fox people have become unhinged. Doocy & Kilmeade were awful this morning. Shep was unreal. Megyn Kelly’s panel actually woke me up from my nap with all the screaming they were doing. They’ve pretty much lost all credibility.

Connie on March 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

It takes a snot to know Karl.

I really hate this Bush-wacker who ruined the party almost by himself.

Hey Karl, go tell old Battle-Axe Barbara about it.

I refuse to vote for your candidate Karl. How’s that for snotty?

Jayrae on March 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Palin is a tool. Rove is spot on.

Cordell on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Karl Rove is a major reason that Dubya tacked left in his second term, helping give us Obama. He is no staunch conservative by any means.

Looks like the pot calling the kettle black here. Your PDS is oozing out the screen of my iPad.

JannyMae on March 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Coburn is more proof of this.

Southernblogger on March 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

\

Yep, excellent point. Totally forgot about him.

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:43 PM

So true AP. It’s why Romney will lose. He is there to kick start Bush 2016. Mitt cant connect or pretend to. All presidents in the past have been able to fake empathy. Romney cant do that. He wont even win his home state in the general, presidents should not be so electorally weak at their home

Flapjackmaka on March 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

KyWriter on March 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Please. WHAT is Palin’s influence on the party? She is very popular with a small segment of the very conservative base, but her and Todd’s endorsement of Newt hasn’t done squat for him. It’s pretty apparent that in this primary, voters are going with who they either identify with or think has the best chance to beat Obama. At this point Sarah Palin is being disingenuous to keep harping on, “prolonging the primary, vetting the candidates”. She tipped her hand last night with her vote and now she needs to just admit who she’s pushing.

BettyRuth on March 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

he’s more Republican Who Defined the Conservative Agenda for the Last Decade.

You actually call what Bush and the Pubs did over the last decade conservative. I partially grant National Defense conservative when it comes to the Military but they weren’t small government or fiscal conservatives. Sort of reminds me of that other stellar conservative Richard M. Nixon.

chemman on March 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

The weight of one’s endorsements and political opinions are a two-way street Karl, and lately yours mean squat to me.

conservative pilgrim on March 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think Tokyo Rove is missing the point…

… The primaries are the time to endorse and vote for who you like.

To each their own based upon an informed opinion and shared ideology regardless if they win or not…

… The general is the time to hold your nose and vote for whoever is on the ticket to defeat Obowma.

Hang in there Newt…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Terrific, Mucous for Moderates!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

At least I’ll be laughing thinking of this the next time I get a sinus headache, which is pretty much every other day. :)

PatriotGal2257 on March 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Flapjackmaka on March 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Yeah, he’s really bad. I can’t believe there’s a single reader of the site who doesn’t realize that I think that.

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

ProudPalinFan on March 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I watched the CNN returns last night, (for the VERY first time) Wolf and John King were far less obnoxious than Meghan and her panel.

BettyRuth on March 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Hey Karl, Palin was asked who she voted for, an hour after the polls closed…

You’re dumber than I thought..:)

idesign on March 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

When did Palin endorse Gingrich? As I recall, she rather blithely discussed that she’d pick him out of the lot if she had to choose, in order to keep things shaken up, but there was no endorsement.

MadisonConservative on March 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

liberal4life on March 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA! Palin has had a target on her back since Aug 29 2008. she and Romney have been vicariously at loggerheads since she was chosen and he wasn’t.

How is it that most people do not know about this?

alwaysfiredup on March 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

MadisonConservative on March 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

But isn’t a vote an endorsement?

alwaysfiredup on March 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This thread reminds me of a conversation that Rush had with a caller today. She said that she had to switch from Fox to CNN last night because she couldn’t stand to listen to Rove shilling for Romney and saying that Santorum’s lead wouldn’t hold up as the remaining vote count came in. Rush interrupted her and aske “Well, wasn’t he right?” and she said, yes, but that she couldn’t stand him because he acts like he knows everything.

Rush’s response was “When it comes to this kind of stuff, he does.”

Can’t call Rush a Rove or a Romney fan….

Priscilla on March 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Saraha take Newt hunting and both be gone!

dmann on March 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM

AP, who do you favor right now, and who would you like to see in the race who’s not running?

jaime on March 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Palin is a tool. Rove is spnot on.

Cordell on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

FIFY

Rove truly is snot on–the snot on the nose of Conservatism.

NOMOBO on March 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Allah, answer me this.

How can Karl even make such a statement, since Palin was only asked who she voted for…

an hour after the polls closed?

idesign on March 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Memo to Karl Rove:

- Sarah Palin did not endorse Speaker Gingrich last night. In response to a question by Neil Cavuto, she stated that she voted for him in a Republican Presidential preference poll in Alaska and explained her reasons.

- The statement by Karl Rove underscores that he and Romney’s people are behind the lies and smears against Sarah Palin:

Moment Of Truth… Just Who Is Behind Those Palin Rumors?

- The statement by Karl Rove underscores that he and Romney’s people are determined to marginalize Sarah Palin and tea partiers.

My response? Karl, go to h*ll.

john.frank on March 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Palin is a tool. Rove is spnot on.

Cordell on March 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM

FIFY

Rove truly is snot on–the snot on the nose of Conservatism

Damn close blockquotes!

NOMOBO on March 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Allahpundit on March 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Oh please. I remember you going on and on about Charles Gibson interview and the Bush Doctrine question even though she did no wrong. You claimed she had to talk about this or that even though there’s no one Bush doctrine. But when Romney campaign itself admits that he didn’t know about the Blunt-Rubio amendment, oh no, it’s no biggie. Double standard, thy name is Allah pundit’s cat.

promachus on March 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Newt may be Palin’s candidate of choice, but he is too flawed. Not sure why she didn’t come out and endorse him. It does come across as weak. I think Newt’s strengths, e.g., debate skills, rejecting the MSM premise and reframing the discussion, help the GOP candidates and primary campaigns for the most part–his class warfare garbage is nothing to tout. If Newt dropped out of the race (and Paul too!), things would get interesting.

conservative pilgrim on March 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Way to keep it classy guys (Rove and AP).

But at least you didn’t use the similar word with an hi instead or the no

LegendHasIt on March 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM