Feelgood story of the day: Lottery winner still using food stamps because “I’m not working”

posted at 9:34 pm on March 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Daily Caller, a snifter of civilizational decline at the end of a long day. Granted, $700,000 sounds like a lot of money, but by the time the Democrats are done with their messaging on contraception they’ll have you convinced that that’ll cover maybe five years of birth control. (In fact, thanks to O’s contraception “compromise,” the cost of birth control is headed up up up.)

This is how it starts, my friends. And then, before you know it, you’re handing out Social Security and Medicare benefits without considering the beneficiary’s wealth. This way lies madness.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hey AllahP, I thought you were going to say that by the time the Dems are done slicing ‘n’ dicing ‘n’ taxing there’d be so little left she’d actually need the food stamps. But hey–doesn’t having $700,000 make her a 1%er now?

stukinIL4now on March 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Sometimes I wonder with hiding it,( so easy to load the card and using it like a credit card) the country as a whole doesn’t get the urgency of getting everything back on track. But then I vacillate of not wanting to humiliate the unfortunate, so it is a conundrum.

DoubleClutchin on March 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

There’s another problem, which is getting worse every month: there are simply fewer jobs to go around.

So even if every government charity program were to end next week, the hopelessly unemployed wouldn’t simply say “oh well, no welfare checks, bye-bye.” and vanish.

We’d have to confront the fact face-on that our economy is broken from the bottom up. And IMHO that could result in anything.

MelonCollie on March 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

ConcealedKerry on March 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I’d be willing to bet that she’s already gone through half her payout. she’ll be broke in a year. If she gets some implants I expect that she’ll try to get medicaid to foot the bill. I agree that she’ll be back on the dole, probably won’t get off of it.

Oldnuke on March 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

I spent a whole TWO MONTHS-maybe it was 3 months-on LINK(IL foodstamp card) ’99-’00…and I HATED it.
I hated that I couldn’t afford my own food. I hated that the taxpayers were footing the bill. As soon as I could get off Link-I was gone.
It was a humiliating experience-and I don’t ‘get’ this broad or those that think like her.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 7, 2012 at 10:27 PM

OK, you just shot up a whole lot in my opinion.

Granted it’s not worth anything – just sayin’, that’s all. :)

CorporatePiggy on March 7, 2012 at 11:13 PM

All Hail the Messiah!

dmann on March 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

…a snifter…

Thumbs up on the Wodehousian vocab!

Tzetzes on March 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

This way lies madness.

Actually, it’s “That way madness lies”, but you’ve got the right spirit!

Tzetzes on March 7, 2012 at 11:27 PM

MelonCollie on March 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Yep, you’re right. I read something at the start of the recession that if the country went into another Great Depression, not only would it be worse generally, but that it would be “meaner”, because people are different then they were then, not so prone to helping each other out, less manners, etc.

DoubleClutchin on March 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Perhaps destroying a ill-conceived system from within isn’t such a bad idea. Maybe everyone should be doing this. Self respect can be derived many ways.

WryTrvllr on March 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The “good” thing about people like this is that, in the near future when those food stamps are shut off because there just isn’t any money left for our government to borrow, they will be too dumb to figure out how to use a gun to try to enforce their entitlements!

Fatal on March 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

The test for federal benefits includes an asset cap. So to win the lottery and still collect food stamps is not legal. But it probably isn’t the lottery winner’s fault – most likely the social worker told her it didn’t matter and then proceeded to key the computer program to allow it.

Most of the problem with improper benefits is with the bureaucracy. The rules to prevent fraud or misuse are there – they just don’t enforce them.

platypus on March 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Fatal on March 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Have you noticed how all those small local police departments are armoring up? And the DHS is most concerned with soveriegn citizens?
I wouldn’t get too comfortable with that theory… oh man with two cows.

WryTrvllr on March 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

So let me get this straight, the right wing governor of Michigan will rather spend all his time gutting UN-earned union benefits than police people like this? Talk about priorities.

Uppereastside

FIFY

Hard Right on March 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

platypus on March 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Easier to become poor on paper than fall off a log.

WryTrvllr on March 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

She wins $700,000 and buys a house in Michigan? Apparently $200 a month is worth it.

tommer74 on March 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Let me guess. Amanda always votes Democrat.

wtng2fish on March 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I wouldn’t get too comfortable with that theory… oh man with two cows.

WryTrvllr on March 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Since the guys who make up that “small local police department” are far more likely to be my friends and hold beliefs similar to mine, I’m not too worried.

But, having said that, you kinda missed the point. Like in Greece, the people who have been denied their “entitlements” are not rioting and burning down their neighbor’s homes in an attmept to get a cow, they are taking it out on the government who promised them the world and could only borrow enough to buy them Brooklyn.

Meanwhile, me, my family and our two cows are having a good old time out here in the boonies. The wife is putting just the right amount of salt into the latest batch of home-made butter, getting it ready to pour over the big bowl full of home-grown popcorn the kids just popped up, as we all sit back and watch it all unfolding in front of us. Me? I’m just trying to get my youngest to hand-feed me some popcorn so my hands don’t get too slippery as I work on reloading the latest batch of brass fresh out of the tumbler.

Fatal on March 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Fatal on March 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

No I get it quite clearly.

That you are so sure of your police friends sympathies means you live in a nice part of the country. For the most part, they work for whosoever pays their salaries.

In greece, the people riot against the government, and the government, in turn, crushes the workers. Your point? The government takes your cow, and distributes half of it to their loyal voters.

As far as popcorn, it’s a good thing. Butter too. Never could master a bottle neck though. Hate trimming.

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

What he is trying to say, is that a country boy can survive.

jhffmn on March 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM

What he is trying to say, is that a country boy can survive.

jhffmn on March 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Unless the local city folk have gas in their tanks

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Unless the local city folk have gas in their tanks

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

They’d stick out like a sore thumb.

jhffmn on March 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM

You mean, like a hundred thousand sore thumbs. Many of them armed, and all taught to leave the cities in an emergency.

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

So best keep it inconspicuous.

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM

DoubleClutchin on March 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

No, I don’t think it’s a conundrum. And I say that as someone who has actually been on food stamps, or SNAP, or whatever they’re calling it now at one point when I really needed it to feed my family.

One key ingredient we’ve lost in this country is shame. Not only does no one feel shame anymore, but we treat it as though it’s unhealthy to do so. Well, a dose of shame, in the right proportions, can motivate people to do the right thing.

Absolutely we should help those who need a hand when they can’t put food on the table. But when you had to go to the store and take out the actual food stamp book, and everyone in line knew that you were using food stamps, there was some embarrassment and shame involved. You would still do it, of course, because your family had to eat. But you would hate being in that situation, and you’d want to work to change it. Or at least many would.

Today, we disguise food stamps in the form of a standard debit card and no one knows who is using food stamps and who isn’t. There’s no longer any embarrassment or any shame and, thus, one less reason to work your *ss off to get off of food stamps.

Shump on March 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Anyone here BEEN on food stamps (more properly called SNAP since 1996 Welfare Reform Act) besides myself and 2 other commentors?

There is no “loading” required.
You get a pre-set amount based on income, family size, and cost of food where you apply.
It is loaded automatically every month and the balance does NOT roll over.

You can’t add money to it or get cash from it.

You cannot buy alcohol, tobacco, or prepared (pre-cooked/hot/fast food) meals with it. When I was on it (about 3-4 months) my attitude was “It’s not my money so I SHOULD SPEND IT WISELY!”

Depending on the locality an asset test is conducted every 3, 6, or 12 months to ensure you’re not gaming the system and yes there are ways around that test. One of the most common is for a beneficiary to apply and receive the bennies but be working. I had a co-worker who did this and when I asked why she didn’t have a checking account to deposit her paychecks she said that if she did she’d lose some benefits.

I explained to her that she would SAVE the freaking $3 she paid out every payday to cash her check if she got a bank account. So instead she then started handing her mother the checks and would have them deposited to the mother’s account from which checks (for rent, health insurance, car insurance, etc) were paid. To be fair she is definitely NOT mooching as much as dumb broad in this story is, she has a small child (2/3 years old I believe) and works 2 jobs. Additionally she’s studying to be a nurse. She works her (amazingly beautiful) butt off and is trying to get off the assistance at some point presumably when she is a nurse.

She was younger (21) and stupid and married (and then had a child with) a Marine who later came back from OIF/OEF a very changed man. Instead of supporting her and his child he beat the crud out of her (among other fun things) and later fled to California to escape the law. She wound up moving back to VA (and back in with her parents)at 25/26 and took the jobs she took to support herself. She is the kind of person who actually accepts the meaning of TEMPORARY assistance. She also doesn’t vote because in her words “I don’t feel educated enough about issues to vote responsibly so therefore I don’t”

SgtSVJones on March 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Smart folks live in areas with easy choke points, no large cities within hundreds of miles, know who thier neighbors are and practice, practice, practice. Big city folk would be lucky to make it 10 miles.

Rural America has been the butt of all the jokes, is ignored by the politicians, is deridingly called “fly over” country, or “Jesus-land”. Of course, if America is still here in a hundred years, it will be thanks to fly-over country.

Fatal on March 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I <3 Barack Hussein Obama

He’s so dreamy.

FlatFoot on March 8, 2012 at 3:24 AM

It’s a power impulse more than a hunger impulse. Welfare is a form of slavery where you have others work to put food on your table. It’s a hard thing to let go of. We’ve seen slave owners go to war before they give up their slaves. It’s also why the Geithners in this country don’t feel that they should have to pay taxes. He’s on the master team of the master/slave dichotomy, or the king’s side of the rulers/subjects dichotomy, and from his perspective it just doesn’t make sense for him to pay taxes.

Buddahpundit on March 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM

This is one disgusting woman. I wonder if she’s a lib or not?

DoubleClutchin on March 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM

If the media actually did their job you would know WE ARE IN A DEPRESSION and the ministry of truth is covering it up, just like the videos of Zero that are surfacing after being suppressed.

The media reported “Depression” during the Bush administration BEFORE the economy went south. Now they spend their time telling us how great the economy is, even though we see just how bad it is EVERY DAY.

dogsoldier on March 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM

SgtSVJones on March 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I would be sick to live in a society where we didn’t take as well a care of the young lady you describe in your story and didn’t make every effort to get her back on her feet. For every one of her though, there’s 2 who get but don’t need/deserve assistance from the program.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I have a tool that trims and removes military primer crimps to boot. Easy and cheap. Took all the work out of brass prep.

hawkdriver on March 8, 2012 at 7:09 AM

SgtSVJones on March 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Lovely little story, Sarge – if only it were true. Not at all difficult to find a store that will sell any of the items you mentioned as off limits. Donuts, bottled water…the list is endless!

therealfranklin on March 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Oh poor baby. She’s struggling so hard she bought a second house and paid cash for it.

Sick.

ProfessorMiao on March 8, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Where I live, they went to the debit card to avoid the shame of food stamps. Also, people were selling their food stamps for cash. Now, they are buying food to sell for cash or whatever. I have never seen anyone ask for ID, so I am sure they are selling the debit cards too.

If you need it, you should get it. Most of these a**holes don’t need it.

megthered on March 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Here’s an idea… Get a JOB, Amanda.

Murf76 on March 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Where I live, they went to the debit card to avoid the shame of food stamps.

megthered on March 8, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Yeah they do that where I live too. I see these supposedly needy people living better than I do based on what they can “afford” to buy at the grocery.

Happy Nomad on March 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

If Mizz Clayton spent $200 a month on groceries from her $700,000 lottery winnings, she would run out of money in 3500 months, in November of the year 2303.

Let’s make a deal–cut off her food stamp benefits now, and promise to reinstate them in 2303. If anybody remembers who she was by then.

Steve Z on March 8, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I was visiting a local small town college recently and they were “recruiting” college students to sign up for stamps. It seems to me that they should not be out selling these programs. I think if someone really needs it then they will find it or get by without it. You made me think of it because a niece of mine ended up signing up and doing as your half sister did.
CW on March 7, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Supply and demand

Only the demand is forced and the supply is them

It’s funny how lobs carry on about non monopolies and big business yet are on the eve of creating the largest monopoly to date

In the private sector Its in your interest to be careful with money as it equates to success

The public grows like a cancer and consumes the private sector

If they get these students on food stamps they will argue they need more money and hire more expensive, permanent and largely useless labor

I remember after the Amish school shooting that there was a story of how the local government was encouraging them to apply for FSs.

Gubmint, taking the teeth out of the tiger

To the Amish people’s credit they told them to take a walk

When the private sectors resilience runs out everything will collapse

Sonosam on March 8, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don’t blame her.

She says that after paying taxes on the Million she was left with half. Who wouldn’t be angry about that?

Doesn’t anyone see something wrong with a system that takes HALF for taxes?

I’d be wanting to get even too, and get some of my money back. Heaven knows she paid plenty into the system.

It’s the system that’s wrong, not her. I don’t blame her at all. If the law allowed it I’d be getting back as much as I could too.

But it’s the system that needs fixed.

Do you really think she has a moral obligation to stop taking the money after she just paid a half-million into it?

Axion on March 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Can we take off the new auto-refresh on these pages? It takes a while to read through a page of comments, and at some point I look over and I’m back at the top of the page. It’s *very* annoying. And, it’s doubly so when it clears out a comment I was working on. >:(

GWB on March 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

This one person for whom I would support free contraceptives….

texasgoat on March 8, 2012 at 10:22 AM

People like this really pi$$ me off – and I’ve got some in my family – like the half-sister I mentioned earlier. Also a younger brother whose wife is scamming social security disability, so he hasn’t worked for about 5 years – not because he can’t but because he won’t cuz they don’t want to lose any free gubmint money.

On the other hand, my youngest son is 19, living out on his own (with roommates) and works 3 jobs right now – only made about $13K last year but he does NOT collect any welfare, food stamps or anything else from the gubmint, and he’s living just fine.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A backdrop on this story is there was another lottery winner that did the same thing. We had a state rep (Paul Scott) working on a law to end this. Paul Scott was recalled by the teachers union before he got this bill voted on.

Conservative4Ever on March 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

“…because I’m not working”. That’s rich. Has this broad EVER worked?

uncle_fweddy on March 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

WryTrvllr on March 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

You haven’t put much thought into this have you. Most cities have strict gun control laws, so they won’t be all that armed, and fuel will be as scarce as the food they are attempting to procure, so they won’t be swarming out in their cars. They’ll have some success at looting the local country side, but anybody within a 50 miles of a cities is asking for it anyway.

DFCtomm on March 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

So no one should get food stamps? What

plewis on March 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Forget it Jake. It’s Obamatown.

Pelosi delende est on March 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM

St. Regis Philbin on March 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

So no one should get food stamps? What

plewis on March 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Fundamentally I would say no.
Eliminate it completely – it’s a huge bureaucratic waste full of fraud.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

People on food stamps shouldn’t be allowed to buy lottery tickets. If you purchased a lottery ticket at the same time you were drawing welfare/foodstamps then the taxpayers essentially bought that lottery ticket. The prize should be refunded to taxpayers.

bitsy on March 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

On one hand, I think she should have the character to not take food stamps since she has a fair sized windfall.

On the other hand, I don’t blame her for taking food stamps if procedurally she is still eligible to do so. And at the next review of her situation, as long as she does not attempt to conceal her good fortune, if she is allowed to continue, well, okay.

I would complain about the system not her.

Russ808 on March 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I would complain about the system not her.

Russ808 on March 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM

No – I blame her as well.
Based on the eligibility list on the Colorado DHS web site my son could qualify for food stamps – but he is not going after them. He believes he is making plenty on his own to afford his current lifestyle without government handouts.
It’s absolutely a sign of character.

dentarthurdent on March 8, 2012 at 5:54 PM