Carbonite stock plummets after decision to abandon Limbaugh Update: Limbaugh clears up misinformation about his “lost” sponsors

posted at 3:05 pm on March 7, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Investors have fled Carbonite like Carbonite fled Rush Limbaugh, but, as they say, correlation is not causation, so it’s impossible to know for sure whether Carbonite’s stock has plummeted because the back-up company withdrew its support for the top talker — or just because. Nevertheless, the facts are what they are:

Since the market opened on Monday through its close [yesterday], Carbonite stock (NASDAQ: CARB) has plummeted nearly 12 percent, outpacing the drop of the NASDAQ index in that same time period by nine-and-a-half points. It was also one of the biggest decliners on the NASDAQ on Tuesday.

It’s hard to think Carbonite CEO David Friend’s smug retraction of support for Limbaugh had nothing to do with his stock’s downward trend, though. Consider, for example, that conservative pundits have made a point to call Friend out by name for his decision to pull advertising and to continue to criticize Limbaugh even after he apologized. Why single Friend out from among the dozens of advertisers to reject Rush? For one thing, Friend continues to support with his advertising dollars Ed Schultz and Howard Stern — two men who’ve been known to use their fair share of foul and derogatory language. That makes Friend’s reason to leave Limbaugh — which was, I remind you, to “contribute to a more civilized public discourse” — a little suspect.

Conservatives have also noted Friend’s ties to Obama:

Carbonite CEO David Friend, currently under fire from conservatives for pulling advertising from Rush Limbaugh, is an Obama donor according to records obtained by the Federal Elections Commission.

According to the FEC, Friend donated $2,000 to the Obama Victory Fund (a joint fund-raising committee with the DNC) on July 1 of 2008, and $2,000 directly to the campaign on July 31 of 2008.

Is the plunge in Carbonite’s stock a warning to the other 29 advertisers (some estimate it’s actually 35) who’ve halted commercials on The Rush Limbaugh Show? Perhaps. As I’m sure Rush’s advertisers know from their days reaping the benefits of their patronage, Limbaugh has a loyal listening audience.

As far as this half of the controversy goes, I’m really not outraged. Rush had the right to say what he said — however tasteless and stupid it was to say it — and advertisers have the right to take their dollars elsewhere. Trouble for those advertisers is that consumers have that right, too.

Update: On his program today, Rush explained that he didn’t actually lose 28 or 32 or 35 or whatever number of national sponsors. The “lost sponsors” are actually local advertisers who simply requested that their commercials not run during Rush’s show.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Saw this at The DC last night. Still wondering if the slimestreamers will even acknowledge it. But like Rush said–it’s the sponsor’s choice to deny themselves of access to his [massive] audience.

stukinIL4now on March 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

All because Limbaugh called somebody by an accurate title of their decisions and statements.

The Nerve on March 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

It’s certainly not the whole reason (i.e. their product sucks) but it certainly isn’t helping them. Serves ‘em right.

thebrokenrattle on March 7, 2012 at 3:06 PM

This is just one of those times that I wish I had some stock so I could sell it. Wish I had a subscription so I could cancel it.

I wish Rush hadn’t said what he said, but Carbonite et al. are preening for public approbation. They deserve a little comeuppance just as does Rush.

rogaineguy on March 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

So who wants to do business with a company named after the stuff that encased Han Solo?

pilamaye on March 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Great statement.

Rush is an entertainer. They use him as a product spokesman. It’s understandable that companies that run those types of ads where the host essentially pimps the product might want to distance themselves from that host. Of course, they could run one with Hannity, or Jim Rome, or Colin Cowherd or any other radio talk show host that does those kind of things.

EconomicNeocon on March 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I’ve got three current Carbonite subscriptions and they are my last. I can’t stand these posturing Leftards and I always vote with my dollars.

Hear that, Mens Wearhouse?

Cicero43 on March 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Related?

That’s what I’m going with.

forest on March 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

More than that, he’s a contributor to Soros-funded causes. See Jeffrey Lord’s takedown at AmSpec.

So when you cross check Mr. David Friend of Orchid Partners in Boston with the Federal Election Commission, one finds — ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh shocker!……… that a Mr. David Friend of Orchid Partners in Boston has been a contributor to… ready? Here’s the list of just where David Friend spends his political money:

MoveOn.org, America Coming Together and Democracy for America, all three listed here as George Soros funded groups, the latter set up by Howard Dean. Texans for Truth also drew Mr. Friend’s support. This group, according to Wikipedia, was set up by MoveOn.org spin-off Drive Democracy.org in 2004. Why? To… wait for it… challenge then-President Bush’s service in the Texas National Guard. The precise same stunt for which CBS fired Dan Rather after documents were discovered to have been forged. The Bush-Cheney campaign said of Texans for Truth that it was “a smear group launching baseless attacks on behalf of John Kerry’s campaign that will be rejected by the American people.” They were. But that didn’t quench Mr. Friend’s affection for either the smear campaign or supporting leftist candidates such as Howard Dean, and John Kerry.

J.E. Dyer on March 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

What comes around goes around.

Ukiah on March 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I hope they come back begging to EIB to allow them back and Rush turns them down! See ya!

Hawkerflyer on March 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I am pointing everyone I know at alternatives to Carbonite…and every other product pulled from Rush’s show.

Karma…ya know?

Justrand on March 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Money flows both ways fellas. I’m a longtime Carbonite customer (4 years) and am planning on canceling my service.

ted c on March 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Not to worry Carbonnite can make up any loss of Conservative listeners to Rush,s show by signing up all the millions of listeners Ed. Schultz show

logman1 on March 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I emailed both carbonite and Proflowers that I didn’t like the double standard they are applying only to Limbaugh, so I won’t do business with them. Proflowers said they’d take me off their email list as I requested.

juliesa on March 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Dear Carbonite:

As if it weren’t enough that Carbonite dumped Rush, Carbonite continues to advertise on Ed Schultz’s show, even after Schultz called Laura Ingraham a slut..

Yesterday I sold my Carbonite stock. Today I’m cancelling my Carbonite backup service.

Regards,

petefrt on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Its called The Free Market.

There is no substitute for freedom… nope, nothin’ like it in the world.

singlemalt 18 on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

In those immortal words.

RickB on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I was listening to Rush today and he said that, some(he didn’t say how many), companies that pulled their ads were wanting to come back! Rush didn’t sound all that thrilled letting them do ads on his show again.
L

letget on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Doesn’t make much business sense to me. Either the advertising was producing results or it was not. If it was this is purely ideologically driven. If I were an investor and saw that the head of a company was willing to hurt the bottom line of the company to further political ends, I’d sell and sell fast. Might even consider a few put options.

jukin3 on March 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Why would anyone trust a company lead by a coward to protect their personal information? When the going got even somewhat tough Carbonite caved. And caved quickly.

Fred 2 on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

From Instapundit:

HMM: In SEC filing, Carbonite lists Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow and Randi Rhodes as “trusted spokespersons.”

I’ll let you get the link from there.

Dusty on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Does Levin still do audio on his show for them? Hope he told them where to go.

Marcus on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Likely this is the advertiser begging to come back which Limbaugh hinted at during the intro to today’s program. Given Carbonite’s CEO’s embarrassing tantrum letter Limbaugh may not want to continue business with Carbonite. They need him far more than he ever would need them. Lots of other businesses in line for advertising time.

Limbaugh has an enormous audience and the value of his advertising derives from that, the purchasing power of his audience and those top ratings. If anything, Limbaugh’s audience has increased this week due to the Enemedia’s double standard for the Fluke “buy me stuff” wench.

viking01 on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Why on Earth would anyone abandon Rush’s show over such a non-issue? So, Rush called some nasty obama-operative a name – Who the hell cares?

Pork-Chop on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Free markets at work – it’s a beautiful thing.

22044 on March 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Marcus on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Me too. I’m sure Carbonite needs Levin more than Levin needs Carbonite.

petefrt on March 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

The thing is I have read more than one comment directing previous carbonite users where to go to get a similar service. Even if Friend changed his mind, I think it’s too late for carbonite. If a substantial amount of consumers that are Rush listeners, and supporters have changed to a new product, why would they change back?

This Friend person is a very poor business person.

Dr Evil on March 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Some of there subscriber loses could be because of their stupid ‘Your going to lose everything’ commercials.

meci on March 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Is Mozy a good alternative?

22044 on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

So, did we ever decide what to call someone who wants others to pay for her or his sexual activities?

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hawkerflyer on March 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

According to Rush a couple of them are already.

de rigueur on March 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Men’s Wearhouse is crap. I’ll NEVER do business with them again. There are PLENTY of alternatives.

I’ll like the way I look better without Men’s Whorehouse Wearhouse

DevilsPrinciple on March 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Don’t just sit there.

Schadenfreude on March 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Their hypocrisy just doesn’t work anymore. Bravo to all who pushed back against the bullies and liars.

texanpride on March 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I am sure that conservative money is as good as that of liberals, and often more plentiful. What we lack is organization. So, will someone please start and maintain a list of major businesses who toed Media Matters’s line, so we could ignore or boycott them where possible? Drudge, Breitbart Group, Ann Coulter?.. anyone?.. Bueller?!..

Archivarix on March 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Hear that, Mens Wearhouse?

Cicero43 on March 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

It used to be hubby’s favorite place to shop. He hasn’t bought a thing from them since they threw in with OWS.

Fallon on March 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I’m becoming decreasingly concerned with causation and being fair. Just stomp them with both feet.

forest on March 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM

meci on March 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I wonder if some of the Carbonite execs are thinking, “We’re going to lose everything!”

iurockhead on March 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Hell, half of every broadcasting hour was commercials.

I may start listening to him, again.

j/k

OhEssYouCowboys on March 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I’ll be the contrarian for a change…has anybody else noticed that his advertisers seem to be “snake-oil” people? Tax settlement, refi, class action sharks, etc.

this might be a good opportunity for him to start hanging with less slimy people.

teejk on March 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Netflix stock hasn’t had a great day today.

mabelee on March 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

A Reproductive Rights to Your Wallet advocate?

de rigueur on March 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

How many viewers would Ed Shultz have? Ten or maybe twelve!

mariloubaker on March 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I ordered a couple of times from Shari’s Berries, and get emails constantly from them. I had the pleasure today of emailing them and telling them that due to their affiliation with Pro Flowers, and their decision to participate in the ridiculous stunt to try and stop Rush Limbaugh, I would never again think of Shari’s as a viable option for gift giving. And I’m telling all my friends as well.

waterytart on March 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Boom, I recommend folks switch from using Carbonite’s products, using free will and for free market choices without retribution. Hey, obummer, why don’t you issue a directive that US citizens not withdraw from purchasing carbonite products? donk.

jake49 on March 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Fred 2 on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Perfect.

Tim_CA on March 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I hope they have a backup plan.

Yeah, I stole that from someone else.

So, don’t blame me; blame the guy I stole it from.

SteveMG on March 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

how about people that vote for Obama?

teejk on March 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Pork-Chop on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

She did say it was a friend of hers that required the 3k worth of contraceptives, but later used the inclusive “we” relating to the need, so one is left to conclude that she was referring to herself as well.

Does the need for that amount of contraceptives a year define her as a slut? Webster seems to think so, women can go argue with him if they like.

It is not tasteless to refer to someone by a term such as this.

Or perhaps accurate terms are not allowed anymore because they aren’t Poltically Correct?

Anyway I’m laughing at Carbonite. They’re the losers.

dogsoldier on March 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I have it on good authority that next week Carbonite will be reorganizing.

The new name of the company will be Corbomite…a substance that sounds pretty damned impressive but in reality is nothing but made up crap.

JohnTant on March 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Tina needs to correct her post. According to Rush, the number of sponsors that left his show is way overstated. He said than most of the sponsors which have been listed aren’t actually direct sponsors of his show, but are companies that contract with a local station. He said that if you consider his direct sponsors and other companies that actually buy slots on local stations, they number over 18,000. This number is based on 600 stations selling about 18 minutes of ad time per hour.

Tina, maybe you should listen to what Rush said today at noon, rather than blindly repeating what you read or heard somewhere.

NoNails on March 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Carbonite stock plummets after decision to abandon Limbaugh

Heh.

Was gonna go with them for computer backup when Bruno Jr. goes away to college in the fall.

Not now.

Ass-hats.

Bruno Strozek on March 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Fred 2 on March 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That is exactly it. Why on earth would I give my sensitive data to a Barack Obama supporter, when we already know that Barack Obama orders his supporters to illegally mine any database to which they have access to destroy conservatives?

That’s the best argument against Carbonite. Their CEO is an Obama puppet and will hand over all of your data to the Obama Party for its thugs to harass you.

northdallasthirty on March 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Rush’s statement:

Clearing Up Misinformation on Our Sponsors

Tina, stop getting your information from Media Matters. They want you to think that they are having an impact.

Resist We Much on March 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

NoNails on March 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Transcript here.

de rigueur on March 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

And this is why i’m not comfortable using any cloud service, i jusr don’t trust anybody else with my private files, especially people like Carbonite who have political motives. I’ll stick with my own external drives, they’re cheap and reliable.

clearbluesky on March 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I cancelled my Carbonite and Netflix subscriptions last night.

tank_killer69 on March 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I got a sales call from someone trying to sell me the Carbonite crap service a while ago. I informed him that the service is absolutely useless because I have 2 3 terrabyte external drives. One I keep data on, the other backs it up when my ‘puter isn’t in use. So, they don’t get to pretend to keep my data safe while they peruse it for useful info to sell to whoever.

After explaining that to the saleswoman I asked why I should bother with such a service. She had no answer.

Now the service is ten times more irrelevant.

Wolfmoon on March 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I have it on good authority that next week Carbonite will be reorganizing.

JohnTant on March 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

This is the funniest thing I have seen all day.

Thanks!

Captain Kirock on March 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Netflix stock hasn’t had a great day today.

mabelee on March 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

They lost Starz movies. So, the only thing they offer are OLD TV shows. What you expect?

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM
A Reproductive Rights to Your Wallet advocate?

de rigueur on March 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Liberals.

Snitchmo on March 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

teejk on March 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Many of them aren’t actually his direct sponsors. They’re just companies who went through an ad agency which bought a block of time on one or more stations.

NoNails on March 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

A prostitute.

Which, in fairness, seems to be the term that Rush was more inclined to assign to this young woman – although she was acting as a sort of “middle man”, so technically I guess that would make her a pimp….

TeresainFortWorth on March 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Oh no, Carbonite’s stock collapse had nothing to do with Limbaugh.

Pay no attention to the steep angle plunge that occurred on the very day that the market reopened after this hit the internets.

It was in a decline, yes, but not nearly as steep.

What is disturbing is the revelation that some of Rush’s biggest advertisers are such leftists.

First, does Rush not know about this and if he does why does he take their money?

Second, why would a leftist company advertise on a radio program that is diametrically opposed to its principles? And did they not consider the consequences of making such a stink? Did they not see what happened to Harry Reid?

And Fluke is a slut. The very definition of a slut. Open your dictionary and her picture is next to the definition of slut. She has made it possible for Paris Hilton to appear on EWTN.

turfmann on March 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

If I was Rush, I would tell any advertiser who left over the Fluke incident, that I do not want them back as a sponsor. Obviously, Rush has lots of companies that want to advertise with him, I think he can afford to be choosy. Also, just as consumers can elect not to do business with a company who puts their ideology above the bottom line, Rush should be able to select who he does business with.

I did predict I was going to watch these stocks tumble.

jackal40 on March 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Allstate is on the list, although I don’t recall ever hearing an ad for them. I’ve been considering changing my auto insurance and they were the first on my list to check out. No more!

Shay on March 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

“Is the plunge in Carbonite’s stock a warning to the other 29 advertisers (some estimate it’s actually 35) who’ve halted commercials on The Rush Limbaugh Show?”

I guess you missed Rush’s show today Tina…

… Between National and local markets in over 600 stations, Rush has over 1,800 advertisers and hasn’t lost a dime.

The Left has a call bank of 400,000 callers that bombard companies that they want to “protest”, but there is one thing they don’t do…

… They don’t replace the 22 Million possible customers that Rush reaches everyday.

Some lessons in life are tougher than others to learn…

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Mr. David Friend,another one convinced everyone thinks like he does.He stepped up to the plate for all women and showed that Rush guy.A CEO of a company with stockholders and didn’t take the time to research the issue.His left liberal mind went into instant overdrive.The stockholders should be calling for his removal.

docflash on March 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM

“No, we have not lost 28 sponsors. “Well, how can they say it?” Because they lie and because they don’t understand how it works, and that’s what I want to try and explain. In fact, folks, we have three brand-new sponsors that will be starting in the next two weeks. Now, obviously, I’m not gonna tell you who they are today, but we’ve got three brand-new, full-fledged sponsors starting in the next two weeks.

Two of the sponsors who have canceled have asked to return. We are being very careful about that. Not gonna give you any names here. One of them is practically begging to come back. Everything is fine on the business side. Everything’s cool.”

- Rush Limbaugh, 7 March 2012

Resist We Much on March 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

If Mozy were smart, they’d have ads on Rush’s show immediately and offer a special deal for those switching from Carbonite.

Shump on March 7, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’d be willing to bet that some of that precipitous plunge was due to details of Carbonite’s report to the SEC about their company’s prospects being broadcast around the web – they were on pretty shaky ground before this kerfuffle occurred; their actions merely hastened their inevitable demise.

TeresainFortWorth on March 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Solo may have shot first, but Rush fan’s will finish the job.

MechanicalBill on March 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

A White House directive:

All corporations, agencies and individuals that have received Obamcare waivers are hereby ordered to immediately purchase one month’s salary worth of Carbonite stock or explain why to the Obamacare death panel….signed George…er Michelle..er..David.

Don L on March 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Doofus.

Go Mozy!

John the Libertarian on March 7, 2012 at 3:34 PM

As another reader pointed out, one can back up all their files on a single memory stick (flash drive) which snaps into a USB port. Most computers have several USB ports and memory sticks can be purchased as most retail stores. A 32GB USB Flash Drive can be had for $30 and fits in one’s pocket. Buy two for $60 bucks and one should have enough portable storage to last a lifetime for most people. Why mess with Carbonite?

metroryder on March 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Today he mentioned that several advertisers want to come back, and one in particular was begging. Pretty simple math.

Jim Treacher on March 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

turfmann on March 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Because socialism is never for the socialist. It’s for “the people.”

CurtZHP on March 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Nothing speaks louder than the consumer. That’s the way free markets are supposed to work!

Turtle317 on March 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Rush said this morning that two sponsors were “begging to return” and I believe it. He also said that they were being careful with their sponsor choices. Rush has the upper hand here.

phxconservative on March 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Friend is another First Amendment hypocrite, and the Left is swarming with them now. They want to drive Rush out of business for what he said, but Bill Maher and others are free to say what they want with no repercussions.

The truth is, Rush and Maher should be allowed to express their First Amendment rights without some special interest group trying to drive them out of business. Liberals used to care about the First Amendment, but they don’t anymore. Obama and his cronies are nothing more than the dull totalitarian Left.

In fact, if Friend is an Obama supporter, then he may trying to work some crony capital sweetheart deal behind the scenes. Carbonite needs to go down–not for First Amendment reasons, but, like the Left, they participated in wanting to suppress someone’s First Amendment rights.

We also need a roster of all the crony capitalists and First Amendment capitalists. Let’s teach them all a tough lesson.

EMD on March 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM

If Carbonite management didn’t care enough to protect their employees and shareholders, what makes anyone think they care enough to protect their customers’ data? Especially since they knew full-well in advance that the parties pushing them to bail on Rush have said and continue to say far worse things about women.

Christien on March 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM

turfmann on March 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He doesn’t decide who advertises for many of the slots and for the rest business isn’t supposed to be political. Most of us don’t make a habit of asking for someone’s political affiliation before buying a product. That seems to be changing in the Brave New World of Obama’s America.

sharrukin on March 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I have it on good authority that next week Carbonite will be reorganizing.

JohnTant on March 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

They should try “Korbemite”. That would likely earn them a click or two.

Archivarix on March 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Correction…

… 18,000 advertisers.

Seven Percent Solution on March 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM

“Please support the advertisers who support this radio station”.

That is the advice given in an ad during several talk shows on our little radio station. While I don’t spend a lot of time listening to Rush, I will take that advice.
Carbonite subscription runs out in July. I used Pro Flowers a lot also. In retail, we have a saying. “Never give a paying customer a reason to try someone else They just might like your competition better.” There does seem to be a lot of online back up companies out there that I never paid attention to that promise to be better … But when will these people learn. For an advertiser, the biggest bang for the buck is on conservative talk radio. How fast did Carbonite grow after advertising on Rush’s show? The left loonies may be louder, but it’s the mainstream conservative that spends the larger amount of money on everyday services. I think Carbonite is going to find out.

gstrickler on March 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM

They libtards are trying to say “Well the whole market was down”. Yes, but no where near as much.

Iblis on March 7, 2012 at 3:40 PM

NO TO HBO

no more maher-mongering
no more anti-republican movies like GAME CHANGE

save $18/month by cancelling HBO
and by the way, with the terrible obama-conomy — that 18$/mo x 12 mo = 216$ = enough to pay for the costs in gas and rest of obama-flation

wholefoodsrepublican on March 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

eforhan on March 7, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I’ve been leaning towards Socialists Lecturing US Taxpayers.

Kind of has a ring to it, for some reason.

MNHawk on March 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

No one is going to stop listening to him and savvy companies will be jumping on the Rush bandwagon, I’m sure. He might even have gotten MORE listeners as a result of this whole bru-ha-ha.
The name calling, hypocritical left won’t be effective in their trash talking of Rush because we (the consumers) know them for what they are. Their glee will be short lived.

samazf on March 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

obligatory topic is lameassed.

It’s all there in the stock price chart / graph. Their IPO came in artificially high at ~22, last August, corrected almost right away to 16-18, and has since continued a long slow decline. The graph of the last few days plainly shows a sharper downturn commencing Monday afternoon, immediately following their weekend abandonment. Would seem as word got around on Monday.

The direct connection seems obvious, the entree question seems weak / silly.

rayra on March 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Never got the draw of this product anyhow.

antisense on March 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM

There’s nothing a little suspect about it. It’s a LOT suspect and should be called out as plain and simple partisan hackery of the first order.

Meople on March 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I’m saving my wrath for the companies that Rush did personal commercials for that turned around and slammed him — Carbonite, Pro-Flowers, Sleep Number, Sleep Train, etc. I have already informed Pro-Flowers that I will no longer use their products, and Sleep Train that when we replace our mattress later this year that they aren’t on the list of possible choices.

The others got my emails, but never answered. I hope they lose half their value.

I love the free market.

hachiban on March 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM

This problem is rooted in the semantics.

Among my kids (and kids-in-law) who are college students, a “slut” is one who gives it away for free.

One who gets paid is a “whore”.

Rush wouldn’t have been tripped up if he’d used the correct terminology!

/sarc

bigbeachbird on March 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I cancelled my Carbonite service – and I was only 2 months into a committed 1 year payment.

Screw them.

jake-the-goose on March 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Rush is sure going to profit from this slut business. Can we call him a pimp now???? He’d love it!!! Heh…. Pimp shoes, pimp shirt, pimp hat–smackin’ Fluke with his pimp hand! gotta keep the pimp hand strong.

ted c on March 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM

metroryder on March 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

No actually you can’t. Primarily because those little flash drives are INCREDIBLY easy to lose or break.

I’ve been working with computers (and backups) for years since I was 16 or so (I’m now almost 26). If you want to do a full drive image backup (a la Carbonite) you need a HE!! of a lot more than 64GB of space. I have a 1 Terrabyte (TB) hard drive for this purpose and it’s starting to get full finally after 3-4 years.

For just backing up some files & pictures & term papers, certainly a few GBs is fine, but full and complete backup requires much more and software to go along with it.

For personal backup I recommend either buying Mozy (if you’re of the lazy I don’t want to do it myself mindset) or grabbing a large external 1TB hard drive from Newegg.com and using Macrium Reflect Free

SgtSVJones on March 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Rush only loses…if his audience falls. Sponsors can be replaced.

22044 on March 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM