That other Ohio race

posted at 11:05 am on March 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

While all eyes will be on the POTUS battle in Ohio tonight between Romney and Santorum, it’s worth remembering that you can get even more entertainment value for your political dollar with some of the down ticket races. You’ll want to pay particular attention to a stretch of real estate out by Lake Erie. The last round of redistricting on the eastern edge of the state has eliminated the district of long time liberal icon Dennis Kucinich and landed him in a primary fight against the incumbent, Marcy Kaptur. And while they have been long time friends and allies in the lower chamber, this one turned nasty pretty quickly.

Ohio lost two seats in the redistricting process, and Republican map-drawers in the state drew the two lawmakers into the same district, which runs along Lake Erie and spans between Toledo (Kaptur’s base) and Cleveland (Kucinich’s).

The new district includes most of Kaptur’s old territory; a last-minute change added more Toledo voters to the area, which will likely benefit her.

Kucinich, with two unsuccessful presidential runs under his belt, has positioned himself as the underdog fighting against the establishment.

You might think that these two would be like peas in a pod, with very little sunlight between them on the issues, but it turns out that’s not the case. Kaptur is apparently much closer to being a Blue Dog, holding more pro-life, pro-gun positions. (Please… spare me the hate mail. I’m not calling her an actual dog.) But they don’t have to stick to a battle over shades of gray on the questions of the day when there’s good old fashioned mud slinging to be done!

In debates, Kaptur has bashed Kucinich for taking trips to Washington state, where at one point he reportedly considered running for a House seat, and in her TV ads she has pointed to a recent Cleveland Plain Dealer editorial that said “Kucinich’s focus has wandered from northeast Ohio.” All the while, Kaptur, a longtime member of the House Appropriations Committee, has highlighted the funding she has brought back to her district…

In a Kaptur radio ad released last week, she ties Kucinich to LeBron James and Art Modell, two Ohio sports figures who left the state to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

“This Tuesday, the choice is yours. Art Modell, LeBron James, Dennis Kucinich and another moving van in Cleveland, or Ohio’s own Marcy Kaptur,” says the narrator in the ad.

There are more than a few conservatives across the country who wouldn’t exactly shed a tear if Kucinich exited the political stage. His level of liberalism can be seen from the endorsements he’s received, which include Bernie Sanders. His two runs for President – both of which were never treated as much more than a joke – brought him more national attention than a member of the House normally sees and he’s something of a cultural icon for the hard Left.

As Politico notes, there is very little solid polling available on this race, with all the attention focused on the top of the ticket. But what little exists seems to show a breakdown more along geographic lines, and that looks like a battle that Kucinich loses handily thanks to the new district lines.

Comments

Yeah, sure it does. Blue dogs are unicorns. They don’t exist. They’ll vote as they are told.

lorien1973 on March 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

And thus you see the negative feedback loop of the blue states. The economic policies hurt the economy, which drives people elsewhere to look for jobs, which reduces government revenue, which makes them increase taxes, which hurts the economy, and so on.

I’ve had a front-row seat here in Illinois for years.

Fafhrd on March 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM

DJ Rick on March 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

When it comes to Dem pols….Kucinich doesn’t make me want to hurl.

His policies are just as bad, but his demeanor isn’t as abrasive.

Deafdog on March 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Nice post photo. Good thing this isn’t on of those “beauty contest” races.

forest on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

As I said, a unicorn:

It’s voting record is neutral on guns. Google it.

It’s vote on Obamacare came with the Stupak group – Remember the stupak group? The ones who couldn’t vote for obamacare over abortion; then decided to vote for it anyways, because they enjoyed being lied to?

Pro life. And Pro gun positions. mmhmmm.

lorien1973 on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

As Kissenger once said about the Iran-Iraq war, “It’s a shame they both can’t lose.”

Wethal on March 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Twittle-dee or twittle dum. Coin toss.

msupertas on March 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The more sane people that I know in Ohio call Kucinich “the nut from Cleveland.”

I would love to see that dull eyed psycho sent packing, although I don’t think Kaptur would be much better.

UltimateBob on March 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Nothing like having two lefties turn on each other! I suspect Kucinich will lose and go on to be the Grand Poo-Bah of the “Occupy Movement”.

cartooner on March 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

As a fellow vegan, I’ve always had a soft spot for Kucinich.

*ducks*

vegconservative on March 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ohio, loses either way……. Poor them.

ActinUpinTexas on March 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah, but what are their positions in regard to contraceptives?

kirkill on March 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

kirkill on March 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yes. And call me crazy, but I doubt she’s a slut. Judging from that picture. ;)

lorien1973 on March 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Kaptur is apparently much closer to being a Blue Dog,

Hey everyone Look! Jazz Shaw just called Kaptur a b!tch…./!!
mmfa

ted c on March 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I wouldn’t compare either to an actual dog but do they not have attractive people along Lake Erie?

Seriously, Their respective voting records really have less importance than which of the two has a record that resonates more with the new Congressional district. I’ve got to wonder just how strong Kaptur’s message is if she has to use Art Modell as a villan 15 years after he left Cleveland.

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I wonder how long it will take the spaceship to come down and get Dennis after he loses. I sure won’t miss him, although Kaptur will certainly be no better. Cleveland and Toledo have always been liberal bastions which is why both cities are in decline. Since I live outside Cleveland my Rep is Steve Latourette a good and decent man. If we could get the state to give Sen. Sharrod Brown the heave-ho I might start feeling better about where we stand here in the buckeye.

buckeyerich on March 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

One thing about Kucinich. He’s one of the few democrats who appears on Foxnews shows and defends his positions and is not belligerent about it.

gerrym51 on March 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

As a fellow vegan, I’ve always had a soft spot for Kucinich.

*ducks*

vegconservative on March 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I agree. On a related sentiment, I’m hoping that Ron Paul carries Alaska and Idaho today. I would never, ever want him to be the nominee, but Paul combines entertainment value with good economic ideas.

thuja on March 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

We need to charter a ship for a Democrat Congressional Cruise.

A very leaky one.

The Costa Concordia would do just fine. I believe the Titanic is still unavailable.

JEM on March 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Dennis Kucinich might be a hardcore lefty but interestingly, he is much likelier to side with the GOP on some hot-button issues like banking reform. Unlike the she-dog that runs against him, he makes an impression of misguided honesty, not sleaze. I’m not about to send him money but, unless there’s a chance to paint the district red, I’ll gladly take ol’ Kucinich over that toad.

Archivarix on March 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Here, in Ohio, the GOP has controlled the statehouse (Kasich) and both houses for about 15 months and have managed to botch SB 5 (the PEU bill) and to get themselves distracted with some heartbeat bill that even one of the local right-to-life groups thinks is off the deep end. All the same, I have watched with amusement as they did seem to pull off a couple of tricks with the Congressional redistricting. Up north, though it has received almost no press down here in SW Ohio, it has been delicious to see how they set up Kaptur and Kucinich in a cage match to see who gets to keep a seat. Meanwhile, down here in our corner, there are four districts, most recently all red, but most SW corner district is trending purple. The NW of the four is Boehner’s–solid Red. The NE of the four is even more solid red. The SE of the four is less red, but safe–Jean Schmidt, who might be in trouble today. Finally, the SW of the four–Steve Chabot’s–was represented previously by a guy who voted with the Dem holdouts that fell for that Stupak nonsense. Well, to give Chabot a bit of insurance, they paved a thin alley taking some of Schmidt’s north border to get Chabot some territory in the NE corner of the very red district. I’m part of the territory that got flipped from Schmidt’s district to Chabot’s district. I have to admit that it was fun to listen to the Dems squeal about it, but phuck em.

BuckeyeSam on March 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Nice post photo. Good thing this isn’t one of those “beauty contest” races.

forest on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I read this in mid coffee gulp. You owe me a new keyboard.

dirtseller on March 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

She’s only that way because Kucinich is much worse. She voted for Obamacare.

BTW, I’m in Toledo, in the new 9th District (and, God, Ohio GOP, could you draw a more embarrassing district.) I was the only one at the polling place at 8:30 am. Usually even on primary days there’s at least one or two others.

rbj on March 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Kaptur is apparently much closer to being a Blue Dog

Hey! Who you callin’ a dog?

rogaineguy on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

One down, one to go.

Kissmygrits on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

***

buckeyerich on March 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Who’d you vote for in the GOP primary to oppose Brown? I noticed that National Journal has him rated as the fifth most liberal senator. He has to go.

BuckeyeSam on March 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Shades of gray? More like shades of blue!

Steve Z on March 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Isn’t Joe the Plumber squaring off against whoever wins this?

beatcanvas on March 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

BuckeyeSam – that’s what one fears about the national picture.

There’s a segment of the GOP that just cannot leave legislated-morality alone.

And there’s a fair size chunk of middle-voters who will not vote for that, who want to run away screaming every time Rick Santorum opens his mouth.

JEM on March 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

“All right, Kaptur–you turn the corner and enter a 20 by 20 room. Inside is a rather short kobold wielding what looks like a +5 tinfoil dagger. In the back of the room, a tall, redheaded wood nymph is sitting next to a giant pile of tinfoil–her presence there is a mystery that no man or god will ever be able to explain. The kobold babbles something incoherent and attacks. Roll for initiative.”

M. Scott Eiland on March 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

DJ Rick: “Until Dennis the Menace’s first POTUS run in 2004, he was always rated 100% by National Right To Life. Funny how things changed so quickly, even for such a “principled” man.”

This.

I can’t find it online, but as I remember it his sellout moment went like this: “I am not in favor of abortion. Few are. But I do favor choice…”

This in contradiction to his Catholic upbringing and just about everything he’d done till then. He sold out for power.

More precisely he sold out, on a fundamental moral issue, in return for the chance that if he did, Dennis Kucinich would be the next President of the United States of America. For that little.

What a creep.

David Blue on March 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM

What a lovely couple!

KOOLAID2 on March 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I’m actually rooting for Kucinich here. Kaptur is a standard liberal who can always be certain to give Pelosi her vote if it is needed. Kucinich meanwhile is a crazy liberal whose wrongheaded “principled stands” have a fair chance of irritating his establishment as much as they do ours.

Better a clearly obvious weirdo than an almost-as-crazy wingnut that manages to disguise herself as a “Blue Dog,” “New Democrat,” “DLC Democrat,” or whatever phony term they’re using these days to have to avoid admitting they are outright socialists.

Gingotts on March 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

All I can say about that race is: Ugh. I’m glad I don’t have to choose between those two cuckoos.

RebeccaH on March 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Nice post photo. Good thing this isn’t one of those “beauty contest” races.

forest on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I think Kaptur went to school with Barbara Bush.

bw222 on March 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

he’s something of a cultural icon for the hard Left PAULIANS.

Fixed

mankai on March 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ohio, loses either way……. Poor them.

ActinUpinTexas on March 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Nah, we win either way. Dems lose a seat and this election is high comedy of the first order. Whenever I get depressed about the GOP Primary, I just watch the Blue on Blue bloodshed and smile.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

How about they fight it out by beating each other with an ugly stick?

I guess they already took that advice.

NoDonkey on March 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Happy Nomad on March 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Trust me, Modell is still the most hated man in Cleveland, even 15 years after the move.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Eeek! I guess it’s true that politics is show business for ugly people.

Ted Torgerson on March 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

JEM on March 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Although I think abortion is a sad commentary on society, I’d rather try to minimize it and wear away at it over time than to continually lose elections over it. The only thing worse than these heartbeat bills, perhaps, was that invasive ultrasound bill that was proposed in VA and thankfully withdrawn.

BuckeyeSam on March 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM

BuckeyeSam on March 6, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I voted Mandel. I actually sort-of know him; we have mutual friends in the suburban Cleveland Jewish community. He’s the real deal, and he has a chance to be the Midwest’s own Marco Rubio.

I’m still feeling disheartened after the disaster with SB5, but if we have Kasich, Portman and Mandel as our standard bearers, I think we can actually turn things around in this state.

Good Solid B-Plus on March 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Love Mandel!!!!

lisa fox on March 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Nice post photo. Good thing this isn’t one of those “beauty contest” races.
forest on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM
I read this in mid coffee gulp. You owe me a new keyboard.
dirtseller on March 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Why can’t we have a pic of DK’s wife instead? Much easier on the eyes.

Marcola on March 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM

As this is my District and Kucinich has been my “ahem” Congressman for the past 12 years. This race has gotten ugly over the past week. DENNIS! has been hitting Kaptur about being almost like a Republican and Kaptur has been hitting DENNIS! about missing votes, being against the VA Hospital and prescription drug plans.

The best commercial is from a Kaptur supporter that is putting DENNIS! in the same boat as LeBron James and taking his talents to the State of Washington.

The race will come down to who wins the middle counties between Western Cuyahoga (Cleveland) and Lucas County (Toledo). Kaptur should carry Lucas County and DENNIS! should barely take Western Cuyahoga. It will come down to Lorain, Huron and Ottawa County.

THCARR on March 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Is there any chance that this district goes red in November? If not, sinceI have no reason to believe that Kaptur would go against the party line if it actually came to it, I’m going based on who is most crazy and thus, most entertaining. Go Kucinich!

sobincorporated on March 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

BTW, whoever wins will most likely meet Sam Wurzelbacher (aka Joe the Plumber) for the November race.

THCARR on March 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

If Dennis loses, maybe he’ll get on that UFO and go to a different planet to run, now that would be a blessing.

angrymike on March 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Kirkhill
I really don’t think they need any contraceptives. I mean look, yikes!

angrymike on March 6, 2012 at 1:33 PM

lorien1973 on March 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

ACU ratings;

Name_______2011____2010____Lifetime
Kaptur_____4.00____8.00____14.66
Kucinich___8.00____0.00____ 9.00

Dasher on March 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

What a picture,two ugly people and not a decent idea between them.

dunce on March 6, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Sure we do; I’m one them. Unfortunately, I’m not running for office.

GrannyDee on March 6, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Nice post photo. Good thing this isn’t on of those “beauty contest” races.

forest on March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thread Winner!

Tomolena1 on March 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Rust Belt moonbat-on-moonbat action!

The slogans write themselves…”If you thought Cleveland was bad, try Toledo!”

jangle12 on March 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Local radio has been running ads for the past few weeks talking about Kaptur and Kucinich.

The thrust of the Kucinich ads are directed toward people of color in the Toledo area…saying, in effect, that a vote for Kucinich will keep “programs” for people of color fully funded and make more available while the evil Kaptur has been looking at cutting back on a number of federal programs…playing to the independents or more “conservative” liberals.

So…if you want more free money from gubmint, then you must vote for Kucinich.

If you want less free money from gubmint…then Kaptur is your huckleberry.

Pretty good commentary on what drives liberal/leftist/progressive voters in America…free stuff.

The incremental take over of America by socialists and progressives is well underway.

Just have to offer more free stuff…and then go after those who actually own stuff to force them to pay for it all.

Social justice.

Sad.

coldwarrior on March 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM

There was a Marcy Kaptru radio ad the other day in which she said she fought against the “old boys club” in DC and sounded absoltuely Palinesque.

myrenovations on March 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Marcy Kaptur is no Blue Dog. She’s a radical progressive nutjob who’s a member of the Democratic Socialists of America.

HeckOnWheels on March 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Toledo is the result of fifty years of democratic rule. The city is in ruins, caused by the democrats, who mostly, not all, enrich themselves. Last spring, I was a census worker in the inner city. What was well kept working class owner housing is now 80 percent rented or abandon becoming slumps. The renters don’t care about repair or upkeep. The remaining owner are stuck, for there house is mostly worth less than what it would cost just to move. It is sad, because the people keep voting democrat. Those that are smart just leave. Soon, if the state does not change most will leave, until we have more senators than congressman. I am not against unions, but against big labor management who take and spend union dues for their own wants and gains. Most union labor, both government and private have no real representation. The process will continue till the city declares bankruptcy or union pensions fail to pay. There all in the red, only matter of time now. There needs to be a sea change with the political thinking of these people, but I been waiting thirty years now, it’s still it is same old, same old, vote democrat and we will take care of you. It seems Toledo loves to be pimped. Love ya, SgtPete

SgtPete on March 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

lorien1973 on March 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Exactly, the Obamacare abortion vote proved that the Blue Dog Democrats are just different colored Yellow Dogs.

RJL on March 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on March 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Seconded. Even if Modell divested his share of the team, his actions resulted in not-so-good-but-long-term consequences.

I’m not sure that Kaptur fully understands the sentiment against Modell and James. It is not the kind that is thrown around lightly or forgotten easily. It is the kind of sentiment that would follow someone wherever they go, for about as long as they live.

sethstorm on March 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Whomever said Ohio loses is dead wrong. One of these two will be tossed out.

I live in this district and it’s been a circus. This might be the best GOP redistricting trick ever, lumping Cleveland and Toledo together.

Should be a fun night of returns.

crscott on March 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Quintessential battle of wits between unarmed opponents.

Spots the Dog on March 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Greetings from Walleye country.

I voted Josh Mandel and Joe the Plumber.

While was pumping some gas around 6:30 PM I and saw and heard a painted Kucinnich-mobile with loudspeakers urging voters to the polls for Dennis, (english-spanish of course). Reminded me of the Blues Brothers, “Show-band, and blues review!”

Bye-Bye Dennis. I hope you get to keep the smokin redhead.

Buck Turgidson on March 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Kucinich is one of the few (if not the only) democrats I like. I strongly disagree with many of his positions but, I do agree with him on important issues.

kirkill on March 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Finally, somebody talking about the important issues of the day.

gyrmnix on March 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Dennis K was not at all gracious in his concession speech. Basically called out the Kaptur campaign for lying to the people of Cuyahoga County.

While I don’t think Kaptur will be responsive to the Eastern portion of her new district, but I am glad she was able to kick DENNIS! out.

Here is hope that Joe the Plumber can turn this district.

THCARR on March 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Dennis Kucinich sold out on life in return for the microscopic chance that he might become President. Now his political career is over.

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye.

David Blue on March 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM