Romney locking up the Catholic vote in Ohio

posted at 9:55 am on March 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Yet another poll – this one from CNN/ORC International – indicates that the closely watched Ohio primary is going to come down to the wire, with Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum in what is effectively a statistical tie. The D/R/I split doesn’t really come into the picture on this one for our purposes, as it’s sampling just registered Republican voters for the key issue questions involved. But one demographic cut of this particular survey holds a surprise for some observers.

“The surprise is that the Catholic candidate, Santorum, is losing the Catholic vote,” says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland. “Among Ohio Catholics who are likely to vote on Super Tuesday, 39% back Romney compared to 33% who support Santorum. Santorum has an advantage among Protestants by a 35%-to-29% margin.”

Romney’s advantage among Catholics is within the sampling error. Last week exit polls in neighboring Michigan indicated Romney had an advantage with Catholic voters in that state as well. Both Michigan and Ohio have sizeable Catholic populations.

Catholics have been in the news a lot of late, particularly with the HHS mandate sucking the air out of the room far too often. Combine that with Cardinal Timothy Dolan calling on all good Catholic soldiers to go to war in a freedom of religion battle, and there’s certainly some gravitational pull out there for establishing a unified front. And if that were the case, who do you think Catholic voters might line up with?

Rick Santorum is not only a Catholic himself but has been out there on the front lines of that particular issue on nearly every campaign stop. And yet, somehow, Mitt is carrying the Catholic vote in the Buckeye State. How do we explain this and what sort of lesson can we take away?

First, the “Mormon Problem” obviously isn’t as much of a problem as some were hinting at last year. Primary voters seem to be evaluating each candidate on their own merits, not by pigeonhole demographics. But even more than that, we once again see the folly of trying to predict voter reactions based on labels. You can no more define what “a Catholic voter” will do than you can say “what Hispanic voters think.” Everyone is setting their own priorities.

And for that matter, voters may well be seeing both Romney and Santorum as being solid on the religious liberty front and looking further down their list of priorities to make a choice. And the poll also shows that electability is high on the list of reasons given for making a choice, and Romney is still winning that battle, albeit by a slim margin.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When Romney takes the Republican nomination, THEN the Democrat MSM Party will suddenly “discover” that Romney’s a Mormon, and discover that Mormons are “weird rightwing patriarchal dinosaurs who are morally judgmental, preachy, secretive, and weird. Did we mention that they’re extremely weird?” When Romney’s delegate count gets high enough, then Mormonism will become an “important issue.” That’s just a prediction.

RBMN on March 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM

watching them tear him and his religion up, down, and sideways shall be delicious fun when he gets the nom.

GhoulAid on March 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

They are holding back, now, but they will most assuredly use their surrogates to go after Mormonism. Don’t point this out to the Mittbots, though. You will be accused of being bigoted against Mormonism. Of course, if you rag on Santorum about him being “extreme” in his Catholic views, you will be praised as a “realist.” Reality isn’t the Mittbots’ strong suit.

The Mittbots always bring up Santorum’s remarks as proof that he wants to “legislate his Catholic views,” and outlaw contraception and sodomy, even though he’s actually DENIED that he would favor making either of those things illegal. But I’m supposed to look at his remarks and be convinced that he’s a theocrat.

But, having been pro-life ( ever since I understood what abortion was ) for so many years, I’m supposed to ignore what Romney actually said about abortion, in 2002:

“I will preserve and protect a woman’s right to choose”

I’m now supposed to believe that he’s had some magical “epiphany” and become pro-life.

Catholics are free to support whoever they want to, but if they think Romney is better than Santorum, they are deluding themselves.

JannyMae on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

see the whole thing as a wash, with maybe even a net gain as Romney will get a lot of additional support and volunteers from LDS members. Also, even though I’m not a Mormon, the ones I’ve met are salt of the Earth. I think my experience matches most people’s. They’re usually an admired group, even if we disagree sharply on theology.

BradTank on March 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Why do you people do this? What do you think you possibly gain by claiming you’re not a Mormon but Mormons are swell people—especially since most of us have encountered some of the most vicious people we’ve ever met outside the Daily Kos…and you’re all Mormons.

Actually, very few people know diddly about Mormons. They know about polygamy and that’s it. Why would anyone “admire” someone because of their religion? I know a LOT of very, very smart Jews and very devout Catholics and very kind Baptists, but they are individuals and I like them depending on them, not their church.

I haven’t encountered even one nice Mormon here on Hotair. You’re all uniformly self-important, vicious and some of the worst bullies on the internet. I had fully intended to support Romney if he were the nominee, but between his slash and burn campaign and the total disrespect demonstrated by his Mormon army, I do not know how I can bring myself to support him. As regards how admirable you all are, after my experiences here, I would actually be physically afraid of being amongst a group of Mormons.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

MeatHeadinCA on March 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Bartrams Garden on March 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Crefonso on March 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
cicerone on March 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM
uhangtight on March 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM
UT Cowboy on March 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
The Count on March 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM
scotash on March 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Wow, I never realized there were so many anti-evangelical bigots on Hot Air. I knew that AP was atheist, but he’s tolerant of all our religious beliefs for the most part. But the sheer number of people calling Evangelical Christians bigots and haters is astounding. Try reading the Bible sometime. Try going to an Evangelical Church. Try talking to people who actually practice what they preach.

So many secularists who refuse to accept the divinity of Christ and refuse to tolerate those of us who do. Interesting.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

All of those for whom:
“Read the Koran” is a clarion call to arms, may I suggest that you also read The Book of Mormon?
It’s called intellectual curiosity. Try it.

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I wonder how all those(“conservatives” and liberals alike) who have been busy fear-mongering that if Santorum is the nomination he will be some crazed religious zealot “ruling” within a “theocracy” he will somehow create, will feel once they learn about the “great Mormon leader” who is supposed to come and save America from the brink of destruction.

And one wonders if Romney truthfully feels he is the rider of that “white horse”.

Sterling Holobyte on March 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Or, maybe we’re the true conservatives who can appreciate that this election is not going to turn on contraception. We realize that another 4 years of Obama hurts the cause much more than whatever amount of daylight there is between Rick and Mitt on these issues that you claim that we don’t care about.

The Count on March 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Sure sure. That’s why “Catholics” as a group voted for Obama last time around while Evangelical Christians didn’t.

The contraception issue is made up BS put into play by the left-wingers who are trying to ignore talking about the economy and religious freedom.

Abortion and abortifacients are an issue. It’s a freedom of religion First Amendment issue. That you don’t get that is surprising.

BTW, nice straw man on putting words into my mouth as to what people care or don’t care about. Try actually using my quote for something other than to tell me you’re talking to me. And if you’re a Catholic, how about quoting your own Catholic doctrine when it comes to these practices. You can’t though.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sterling Holobyte on March 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I doubt it, most Mormon’s don’t take the “White Horse” seriously.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

You’re right to a point…if the ecnomy was the only thing that people were concerned about Santorum would still be in single digits…but his rise and continued strength is a reflection that a significant number of people are just as concerned about the decline of the culture and understand there is a relationship between the two. I think the dual economic/social approach is a winner in November but it’s got to be articulated better than Santorum has been able to do…I think Newt could have been a better messenger but his baggage is too deep and his personality too troublesome, which is why Santorum has eclipsed him…

ironmarshal on March 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Agreed 100%.

And thank you for quoting me earlier. I may not be Catholic, but I respect Orthodox Catholics a great deal as my uncle is one. He’s the only one I can discuss faith with seriously as he knows the teachings in Catholicism and has taken them to heart.

Thanks again.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I’m not a Mormon, I’m actually a Baptist, and I think Joseph Smith simply made up the Book of Mormon. Does that prove it to you?

My point is, the ones I’ve met have been generous and decent. We can go on and on about theology, but I consider them to be part of the Christian Faith. Some evangelicals don’t, and there’s also some Evangelicals that don’t consider Catholics to be Christians because they “pray to the Virgin Mary” or a dozen other issues. I would NEVER disqualify a Presidential candidate on this basis because their faith does not affect my faith.

BTW, your little rant makes you look incredibly small-minded.

BradTank on March 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I haven’t encountered even one nice Mormon here on Hotair.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Doesn’t surprise me. Your posts are usually worthy of vinegar.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

The majority of Mormon/LDS Belief is the exact same as Catholic/Evangelical/Christian belief. There are a few minor differences. And yes, the few items that get thrown around that are actually true (unlike the majority of them which are FALSE) are minor when 90% of the beliefs are the exact same.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 10:45 AM

This is such an outright lie, it’s rather breathtaking. Mormons have absolutely NO doctrine or theology in common with any mainline Christian church or tradition. In fact, when God and Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith and JS asked which church he should join, Joe said God told him to join none because they were all abominations. The much vaunted anti-Mormonism is really all coming from the opposite directions. Mormons believe they are the ONLY folks in the whole history of mankind who has truth…everyone else is either potention converts or if you don’t convert, you’re pretty much chopped liver.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Who are these people specifically?

Swerve22 on March 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Speaking of lies… where to start…

Lets see, Mormons believe the Bible is the Word of God… that goes against your idea that we have nothing in common as far as theology… that would be your first lie.

God did not tell Joseph that they were all abominations.

That would be lie number two…

Can’t you tell the truth?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

LMNEWTO!!!!!

You would be physically afraid to be amongst a group of Mormons???

HA HA HAH A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

That has GOT to be the dumbest non-Palin thing ever said on this website….and that is saying something.

What a clown.

HA HA HAH A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Yeah, them Mormons are scaaaaaaary.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I’m a Catholic and cringe at the Catholic bashing. I cringe at the Mormon bashing, the Baptist bashing, the Evangelical bashing, the Muslim bashing, and well, even the atheist bashing. I honor and appreciate people who live good, honest, productive lives.

redmama on March 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Sanctimonious must fight the Satan that took over his church.

galtani on March 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM

I doubt it, most Mormon’s don’t take the “White Horse” seriously.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

What with the horses ?
Not much of an expert here — but doesn’t the Book of Revelation in the New testament have something about horses ? even 4 of them ?
So is the new ABR philosophy to be “we are all bigoted Atheists now” ?

FlaMurph on March 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

And Santorum has said “mainline” Protestants aren’t Christians.

So that’s Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, Episcopalians, Northern Baptists, etc. are no longer be a part of the Christian Faith, around 45 million have been excommunicated by Saint Santorum.

Even devout Catholics think this stuff is batsh!t crazy, which is probably why they’ve dumped Santorum.

I don’t want a Presidential candidate that gets involved in Theological issues.

BradTank on March 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

So is the new ABR philosophy to be “we are all bigoted Atheists now” ?

FlaMurph on March 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I’m sure Portia46 is getting ready to strip off her clothing and walk thru Washington DC nekkid prophesying it’s imminent fall.

Just like Isaiah used to do.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Lets see, Mormons believe the Bible is the Word of God…

Can’t you tell the truth?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Let’s be thorough…is the Word of God as interpreted by Mormon’s…

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

And Mormon’s determine if it is translated “correctly”, so any disparity between Christian’s and Mormon’s can be summed up by “we translate it correctly, you don’t”…

making reference to the eighth article of faith the LDS Bible Dictionary asserts: “The Church reveres and respects the Bible, but recognizes that it is not a complete nor entirely accurate record..

right2bright on March 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

right2bright on March 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Do you believe that the Bible is complete and totally inerrant?

If so, do you reject the dead sea scrolls, which show differing versions of Bibical Books? Do you reject the books which were not included in the Bible, even if other books in the Bible refer to some of the verses in those books?

If the Bible is complete and inerrant why do you need the Creeds?

Do you believe that the Flood of Noah was:
1) Global?
2) Localized?
3) Metaphorical or Literal?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Roger Waters RS Interview excerpt.

Are you disappointed in the Obama presidency?

I’m very, very disappointed by his foreign policy. It obviously goes against everything that I believe. Having said that, it seems that the alternative to re-electing Obama would be such a heinous disaster for this country if you look at the candidates on the other side. I find it hard to find any value in any of them. They are lackeys for the grossest machine . . . to a man and to a woman.

So, I support Obama’s attempt to become re-elected. But I hope he will develop bigger cojones and start governing in the way that I, and many of the people who supported him in the last election, would want him to. Just this morning I was looking at some clips on YouTube of the FDR speech in 1936 at Madison Square Garden. It was one of the most engaging and illuminating and stirring pieces of oratory that any of us have ever heard. He stood up and said that he is the most hated man in the world by the military industrial complex.

Learn more about President Obama supporting Pink Floyd Band Members in your library.

hawkdriver on March 6, 2012 at 12:32 PM

right2bright on March 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Name one church that doesn’t have that same stance.

The Catholics have a different version of the Bible including Macabees, which most Protestant religions do not accept.

Which translation do you use? KJV? NIV? or one of about a dozen others? Which one do you consider to be the inerrant version?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Do you believe that the Flood of Noah was:
1) Global?
2) Localized?
3) Metaphorical or Literal?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Now THAT is a question I would like Not2Bright to answer. These anti-Mormons are always making fun of Mormons….and yet these same clowns believe in the most comically absurd story of all time…the story of Noah and the boat and ALL animals fitting in the boat and then then the boat lands (4 thousand years ago) and from there, mankind starts again.. oh, lets not forget that God then created rainbows to show he wouldnt do a flood again.

Anybody who believes that story doesnt know how to think.

Maybe the tower of Babel story is even more stupid. Hey, how did come there are different languages dad? Well son, a couple thousand years ago, all humans spoke the same language and they tried to get to heaven by building a tower and God got mad and made it so they couldnt understand each other.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

What a load of crap.

And these same idiots that believe this nonsense want to make fun of Mormons with their recent angel visitations and gold plates. Absolute bollocks. Complete and total hypocrites.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well there’s something to be said for being an equal-opportunity asshole.

MelonCollie on March 6, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Anybody who believes that story doesnt know how to think.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!

What a load of crap.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Do you believe in the Black Death aka bubonic plague? How is it possible that some disease wiped out half the population of Europe and almost singlehandely ended serfdom? It must be some fantasy. It’s absurd to this some catastrophe could’ve caused such widespread damage that only half the population survived.

At least that’s what people will say a couple of thousand years from now (if not sooner) when it’s only taught in rare places because it’s not modern history.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Do you believe there is a Cherubims, and a flaming sword guarding the Tree of Life in Eden?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I sincerely and honestly hope, for your sake, that you are not older than 14 years old.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Do you believe that all people spoke the same language 5000 years ago and they decided to build a tower to reach heaven and God got mad and made it so they couldnt understand each other and that is why we have different languages?

Hey Mormons…dont answer these aholes’ questions until they answer that one….or the one about the flood.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

That would be lie number two…

Can’t you tell the truth?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

From your scripture, “The Pearl of Great Price”:

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Reading what I wrote would help. So would reading comprehension.

That is the exact word for word thing I posted.

all their creeds were an abomination in his sight

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Nope, much older and a MENSA member. Scary, isn’t it.

I’m trying to explain that it’s easy to see how history could be lost over time, especially when ancient history was passed down orally from generation to generation. People from our distant future will be shocked how primitive man survived and will find the tales of our lives to be outrageous and unbelievable. It’s all about the time period you live within.

As for the Biblical flood, I believe a major catastrophic event happened that wiped out a large portion of humanity. A meteorite landing in an ocean would suffice.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Just because you seem to be more than little bit slow, let me spell it out to you.

You said:

Joe said God told him to join none because they were all abominations.

Did God say they were all abominations? No, he did not. According to the quote you have brought forth, he said the CREEDS were an abomination. He did not say that all religions or Churches were an Abomination.

So you were incorrect on both your assertions.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Wouldn’t have even taken a major catastrophic event.

I believe that from Noah’s prospective it was a global flood. However, what Noah would have believed was global, and what we today would consider Global with our understanding of the size of the Earth, are very different things.

It could have been a localized flood, and still covered everything that Noah saw and knew and would have believed encompassed the whole earth.

Personally, I don’t think it matters if it was a Global or Local flood, if it was literal or metaphorical.

The point is, if the Bible is inerrant, are you required to believe in a Global Flood, or can you believe it was local. Are you required to believe in a Cherubim with a flaming sword, or can you believe it was metaphorical?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

LMNEWTO!!!!!

You would be physically afraid to be amongst a group of Mormons???

HA HA HAH A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

What a clown.

HA HA HAH A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Yeah, them Mormons are scaaaaaaary.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

A whole group of people acting like this is very scary.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

A whole group of people acting like this is very scary.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Welcome to our world, we have large numbers of people who treat us like we are cult members and idiots… including yourself.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Nope, much older and a MENSA member. Scary, isn’t it.

njrob on March 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

A MENSA member??

HA A HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH A HA HA!!!!!!

Do you not realize that identifiying oneself as a MENSA member has become a well-known internet joke. Apparently, 50% of all people who comment on blogs belong to MENSA. HA HAH A HA HA HYA

In other words, you are full of sheeeet, I know it and you know it.

Let me give you a clue, if the world was destroyed 5,000 years ago, along with all human and animal life except for 8 or so people on a boat and 2 of every one of the 400 or so million species that existed 5,000 years ago, it would be impossible for history of the last 5,000 years to have happened in human terms and in “other species” terms. That is a fact.

Certainly a member of MENSA can see that.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:20 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

NO, no, no, no. You said you take the Bible literally. The Bible says the entire world was covered with water. And if was just a local flood, why would NOah have to get two giraffes and two orangatans and two alligators and two spotted owls and two leapords and so on…..they couldve just split for higher ground.

I guess you dont really believe in the Bible. I figured as much.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

NO, no, no, no. You said you take the Bible literally.

I guess you dont really believe in the Bible. I figured as much.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Down boy… your far too excitable…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I guess you dont really believe in the Bible. I figured as much.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

However, at least you made an attempt at apologizing for the Bible and the story of the flood.

Now, please fill us in on the Tower of Babel.

1) Why did God get mad when these peasants where making a tower to get to heavan. Surely, God could see that they werent going to reach Heaven.

2) is that REALLY why we have multiple languages today like the Bible teaches.

Please explain, I need another good laugh!!

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Please explain, I need another good laugh!!

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Well I think your mistaking me for someone else… so first show me where I said I take the Bible literally.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

A whole group of people acting like this is very scary.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Why, I don’t know. It’s like expecting the village idiot to pull a bazooka from out of his sleeve.

MelonCollie on March 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:29 PM

You are correct, I have you mixed up with one of these guys/gals that regurlarly comes on HotGas and laughs at Mormons for their beliefs…and yet they are people who believe the Bible is inerrant or something. I got you mixed in with them…my bad. sorry.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Ridicule is the tool of a bully. You have absolutely no idea who I am or how “fast” I am or in fact, anything about me. Why would you say something like that to ANY human being? Do you treat disabled people with the same flippant cruelty? And Jailhouse wonders why I’d be afraid of being amongst a group of Mormons bent on attack.

Actually, the examples you gave above about the Tower of Babel and the Great Flood indicates a lack of knowledge about Jewish Rabbincal teachings and traditions. Reality and allegory and thousands of years of oral history are the concentrated studies of a life-time. This is not an appropriate forum for getting into the weeds of Biblical scholarship and while I’ve studied things as they interest me, I am no expert, and neither are you.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

And yet you started this discussion by spewing your wonderful understanding of things that you now seem to be clueless about:

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

So, you arent an expert on The Bible, a point I will agree with, you dont seem to be expert in much of anything. Yet, you started this bash session by expressing your genius understanding of Mormons.

Funny, huh?

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The Leaders of the Mormon Church regularly teach members of the Mormon Church to be respectful of other religions. Mormons don’t reject the truths that exist in other religions. They simply believe that God has revealed more truth through living prophets and they offer this additional truth to all who wish to hear it. Mormons don’t force their religion on others. They simply invite them to read and pray about it. I know many non-Mormons who regularly attend Mormon Church services and/or who enjoy reading the Book of Mormon, but who have chosen not to join the Mormon Church. All are welcome. I also know Mormons who have chosen to attend other churches, but who maintain their membership in the Mormon Church. They are not shunned for doing so. Mormon beliefs do not agree completely with many of the Christian creeds, but they hold to the common beliefs that Jesus Christ is the Messiah spoken of in the Old Testament, that Jesus Christ is the son of God and that He is the redeemer chosen to atone for our sins. Mormons are often counseled by their leaders to refrain from pushing their beliefs on others, because free agency and personal accountability are fundamental tenants of the Mormon faith. There are some Mormons who become overzealous and “pushy” in asking others to be taught about what they believe. But, this is clearly not what Mormon leaders teach them to do. In my community, Mormons are charter members of Community Ministries which includes people of many faiths who regularly reach out to help those in need. This is common wherever the Mormon Church is in the world. Mormons believe that there is more within religions that unites us than that which might divide us. Mormons firmly believe that the US Constitution is an inspired document and are a committed voting bloc that stands behind the preservation of constitutionally sound government. Mormons are friends and allies of the conservative movement. They are not the enemy.

NuclearPhysicist on March 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I’m calling you on this. I don’t call people I’m talking to names. I also never make a judgment about someone’s IQ merely based on the fact we’re are in disagreement. It’s fallacious reasoning and unkind. I do not do it.

As regards your belief system, I have never really made any judgment calls about it. I have certainly referred people to sites which would explain your doctrines, your history and have copied and pasted passages from your own scriptures and church history. How exactly THAT is anti-Mormon is beyond me. It’s your scripture and your history. Explaining it without denying its existence and calling someone who brings it up vile names, is, I would think, a better more reasonable route.

How exactly are you and Mitt Romney going to convince all the people he and you have personally insulted to support him in the general election?

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Hogwash.

I didn’t base my assessment of your Forrest Gump like intellect on the argument alone. I based it on the fact that I quoted “The Pearl of Great Price” word for word, cut and paste, only to have you do the same verse back to me just a few comments later. If that doesn’t show either a complete laziness, dishonesty, or low IQ, I don’t know what does.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

If you actually think that I believe for a second that any of the people on this board who have posted vehemently Anti-LDS opinions had ever considered voting for Romney, you are living in fantasy land with Obama.

I do not believe for a second that any of the people who have posted about Mitt’s Religion ever for a second considered voting for him.

Why should I be concerned about the people I have offended by calling you out on your Anti-LDS posts? You were never going to vote for Mitt in the first place, you only came her to spout off your ignorance and hate for anything Mormon.

To believe otherwise would require “magical thinking”.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

NuclearPhysicist on March 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I’ve now met one. I nice Mormon.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I’ve now met one. I nice Mormon.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

You’d likely meet more, if you weren’t so busy spreading lies and falsehoods about the Church.

I never had anything to do with you before I ran across you deliberately lying about Mitt’s religion. I likely wouldn’t still have nothing to do with you if you hadn’t been doing so.

You want to meet nice people, trying being one.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I’ve now met one. I nice Mormon.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Maybe you just need to leave your mom’s basement. I have met many nice Mormons. I have met a few not-nice ones too. But, for the most part, they tend to be friendly and solid in their wholesome lifestyles.

But that Donny Osmond…man, he is scary…well, I mean according to you at least. ha ha ha

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM

To believe otherwise would require “magical thinking”.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Obviously you are also capable of going through the ether to read someone’s mind? You and Jailbreak et al are bullies. I have had very little personal experience with Mormons. Except for a few members of Congress and a Senator or two, I don’t believe I’ve met even one in the forty years I’ve lived in the Washington area. You and Jailbreak et al amount to almost my total exposure in the last 45 years.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This is what I don’t get…evangelicals that decry the Obama attack on religious freedom, but will drag a crucial primary process through the trenches to avoid nominating a Mormon.

daBland on March 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

You and Jailbreak et al are bullies.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

This is never going to get old…

I’m calling you on this. I don’t call people I’m talking to names.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

um, I think you may have my religion wrong, stupid. See, even non-mormons can be bullies….I just called you stupid.

Jailbreak on March 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

daBland on March 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM

It’s not evangelicals who has spent 10′s of millions of dollars destroying Newt Gingrich with personal attacks. It’s not evangelicals who did the same thing to Rick Perry and now Rick Santorum. And it’s not evangelicals who have come here to mock Jesus, pastors, priests, Catholics. It’s also not evangelicals who call anyone who dares to disagree idiots, slow, morons and tell a woman she needs to get her head out of her…..

That makes the prospect of a country controlled by yet another mafia fairly disconcerting.

Also, I believe Romney is the least qualified of the candidates. I know several CEO’s and not even one of them would make a great President.

Finally, perhaps you’d like to explain just how Mitt Romney is going to rebuild bridges with the substantial number in the Republican base whom he and his spokesmen have been so busily throwing under the bus.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I wish I could say the same for the group of people you seem to be representative of. If I had only met one or two of you in my life, it would have been refreshing. I’ve met hundreds of people who sound just like. Small minded bigots who don’t understand but are more than happy to attack that which they don’t understand and have no desire to have explained.

So if I’ve pigeon holed you incorrectly, then I suppose I should consider giving you an apology. However, at this time I see no reason to believe that I am in error.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

No, it’s the evangelicals who have come here to mock Mormons. To call us names, to tell lies about us, to ridicule our beliefs, to play gotcha games with quotes from the “Journal of Discourses” even when they know the Mormon’s don’t consider it scripture or of much if any importance.

It’s evangelicals who call Mormons and Mitt Romney; idiots, slow, morons, cult members, and tell everyone they needs to get her head out of their cult worshiping posterior…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I don’t represent, nor do I purport to represent, anyone but myself. And hundreds of people have attacked you because you’re a Mormon? Where have you lived? Iran? How would these hundreds of people even KNOW you were a Mormon? I’ve never been in a personal or professional situation where people inquire about one’s religion. That’s the kind of thing one might discuss with a friend, but not with strangers or acquaintences.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:43 PM

How are you and everyone else who has done it going to mend the fences you’ve knocked down… or is that not part of your double standard?

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Iran? No Tennessee, Wisconsin, Alabama, New York, and here on the Internet.

I have no problem defending the Church from people like you. When people speak up falsehoods, I respond. I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I don’t represent, nor do I purport to represent, anyone but myself.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Plenty of people have claimed that anyone who was in the Mitt camp was working undercover for Mitt. I don’t work for Mitt. I’ve never gotten a dime from Mitt. I never met Mitt.

I don’t claim to Represent Mitt. I don’t claim to represent the LDS Church. I only claim to represent myself.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

But that’s not me. And when I started here, my primary goal was to defeat Barack Obama. Romney was not my first choice but if he were the candidate, I’d work for him. I remember commenting on Mormonism being an issue in the general because a party–the Democrats–who had no problem attacked a woman’s down-syndrom child would have no compunction about respecting the beliefs of any church. I was not judgemental. I urged ya’ll to not get into it because the gotcha’s are endless. And that’s when the attacks started. I posted several times: You do your candidate no good by acting like this.

I suggested several times that your best course was to make a statement of personal faith and refuse a discussion about the details of your beliefs and history. I was shocked the first time I was told I was behaving like a child in a play yard and told to “get in line”. I was flabergasted when that bluelump person actually said that Romney was going to be greatest President evah and we’d better not try to steal his glory (I could NOT make that up). And the get your head our of your…..was said quite recently.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

That makes no sense. I assume Mitt Romney wants the Republican base to vote for him (even though there are several of his supporters here who have said they don’t want no stinkin’ Tea Partiers/Christians/whatever). My favorite probably won’t win. Not a part of the equation come the general.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Falsehoods? I copy and paste from your own scriptures and books and documents. It is what it is. I don’t think I’ve ever argued with the statements themselves. They stood on their own.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

But that’s not me…

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Really???? Have you listened to yourself????

It is my perception that you have been one of the foulest anti-LDS posters on the board. That you have gone out of your way to claim that anyone in the Mitt camp was LDS. That Mormon’s would be lying about their religious affliction. You have done everything but Tar and Feather anyone who stands up to your lies about Mormonism.

Try old Bring ‘em Young for some real shockers. You can also find some stuff from the 50′s, 60′s, 70′s that sound like the KKK in their prime.

Portia46 on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Romney approves this approach or it wouldn’t be going on. One call to the General Authorities in Salt Lake would remove every Mormon poster from every site on the internet. Believe me, they KNOW and so does Romney and they apparently approve. One thing Mormons do well is control their own.

Portia46 on February 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

THIS is precisely what makes Mormons so untrustworthy. They lie about their beliefs and mislead with no compunction. Mitt Romney was trained to be a Mormon in all things.

Portia46 on March 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Oh yes, very reasonable….

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Then you would be wrong…I’m not a big Mitt fan, primarily because, given his most recent statements that he won’t say “outrageous” things about Obama, even though they might be the truth, like he is a socialist, I don’t think he has the stones to win the kind of election we’re going to see Obama run. My second concern is that if elected, his past history suggests conservatives will have to keep pushing him to do the right thing to avoid his natural inclination to be a moderate…his religion may cause me to question his judgement, but given the utter ruin another Obama presidency will be I’d vote for Romney if he is the nominee…

ironmarshal on March 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Yes, Falsehoods. But what do you expect when you refer people to CARM, UTLM or ExMormon.org.

You aren’t even educated enough to know what your saying is totally false.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Nasty, judgmental—definately Mormon.

Portia46 on January 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’m calling you on this. I don’t call people I’m talking to names.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I would be much happier, if fellow conservatives on HA would simply refrain from telling us Mormons what we really believe, based on anecdotal, out-of-context and often factually incorrect quotes from imperfect Mormons and ex-Mormons from the past and present. Mormons don’t claim to be perfect and sometimes have opinions and ideas that are a bit strange (me included). But, that’s probably true of most all humans. On the plus side, most Mormons do endeavor to love their families and their neighbors to the best of their ability and to show respect for the beliefs of others. Nevertheless, Mormons are human and we sometimes don’t react well to non-Mormons who demean our faith by calling us a cult and ridiculing our deeply held religious beliefs. In the end, I am quite happy with the fact that God will be the ultimate judge of how I live my life. Maybe we all need to stop the destructive bashing of the beliefs of our fellow conservatives and defer judgment to the man upstairs.

NuclearPhysicist on March 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Portia46 on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Portia46 on February 24, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Portia46 on March 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Oh yes, very reasonable….

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Please print the context and the quote about Mormons controlling their own? That was in direct response to a viscious, ongoing attack by the Mormons against me and several other people. And the thing about Mormons being untrustworthy? Oh yes. During a discussion about baptising victims of the Holocaust into the Mormon church a Mormon actually said all it was was praying for the dead. An outright lie. And the quotes about Mormons and race? I have read the statements by the aforementioned Mormons, and they are so shocking I wouldn’t even copy and paste them but encouraged people to look them up themselves.

You claim exmormon.org, utlm.org etc are filled with lies. They are filled with original documents and the testimonies are from people who have left the Mormon church, so the are very familiar with what they were taught.

No doubt, I fought back and will continue to do so when you all decide to attack at will. I didn’t start there, but as I’ve said many times, I was prepared to support Romney until I encountered his army of disrespectful bullies.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I’m calling you on this. I don’t call people I’m talking to names.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM
E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Pointing out that you’re a bully and when someone is being judgmental about someone else’s morals or mistakes is not quite the same thing as telling someone they’re “a moron” “an idiot” “slow”. And no, I do not do that.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Portia46 you are a vile disgusting excuse for a human being and I pity you.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Portia46 you are a vile disgusting excuse for a human being and I pity you.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Well, there you go.

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Portia46 on March 6, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Portia46: As a fellow conservative, I would ask that you stop the hateful Mormon-bashing. Why do you even care about what we believe? Our beliefs do no damage to you. Our belief in baptism of our dead ancestors does no harm to anyone. If this belief or any other of our beliefs turn out to be false, they will judged accordingly by God and will ultimately have no effect on anyone. Mormons are okay with that, so why do you continue to essentially call us brain-washed liars. I’ve been a Mormon all my life. I have lived all over the world and have seen nothing but good done by Mormons and their families. I have never seen edicts from the Mormon Church leaders that require us to do their will. We are regularly admonished to keep the commandments given in the scriptures, but we ultimately are allowed the free agency to choose our own path. Why do you persist in this destructive dialog. It does no good to anyone, including you. We are not your enemies!

NuclearPhysicist on March 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Are these the very same STUPID Catholics who voted for Obastard??? Blasphemy!?! Oh yeah, the “Mormon” thing? It may not be much to the really, really STUPID Catholics, BUT Obastard is going to destroy RINO Romney (aka Obama-Lite) with it!?! WATCH AND WEEP you STUPID Catholics!!!

Colatteral Damage on March 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Cafeteria Catholics is the descriptive.

tuffy on March 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM