Open thread: Obama’s press conference

posted at 12:15 pm on March 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Today, while we wait for the Super Tuesday results to start rolling in, President Obama will provide a bit of a side-show with his first open press conference of the year at 1 p.m. (I leave it to the assembled masses to determine whether or not it was a calculated maneuver to do this on the same day as such a huge primary battle when the press is scattered across the nation.) As The Hill notes, the generally Obama-friendly media has been feeling a bit shut out of late.

Obama has recently received criticism from the press for only making himself available through less traditional formats.

In January, Obama took questions through YouTube in his “first completely virtual interview,” while participating in a Google+ “hangout.” The event was part of a broader strategy by the White House to connect with voters while circumventing traditional news media.

In recent months, Obama has hand-picked social media networks like Facebook and Twitter to relay his message on a variety of issues, holding town-hall meetings on both and participating in a third with LinkedIn…

Some members of the media have been critical of the new approach.

“I worry sometimes that the administration subverts the Wild West appeal of new media by rather scrupulously scrubbing and screening questions — like they have done in various new-media town-hall settings,” said Julie Mason, a talk show host on Sirius-XM and veteran White House correspondent who also serves on the board of the White House Correspondents’ Association.

So what topics with the Campaigner in Chief be hitting? Well, the big AIPAC speech, of course. But that will tie into other foreign policy questions such as what, if anything, he plans to do about Iran. But he’ll hit some domestic issues as well. He’ll be rolling out his new housing plan.

President Barack Obama is aiming mortgage relief at members of the military as well as homeowners with government-insured loans, the administration’s latest efforts to address a persistent housing crisis.

In his first full news conference of the year Tuesday, Obama was to announce plans to let borrowers with mortgages insured by the Federal Housing Administration refinance at lower rates, saving the average homeowner more than $1,000 a year. Obama also was detailing an agreement with major lenders to compensate service members and veterans who were wrongfully foreclosed upon or denied lower interest rates.

What could possibly go wrong? You are cordially invited to tune in for the presser and submit your own observations. I’ll bring the popcorn, which will be considerably cheaper than the stuff at the movie theater.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Where was Obama’s concern for Palin’s daughters when Letterman made the innuendo that baseball players would seduce them when they are underage? Obama is such a phoney.

karenhasfreedom on March 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Msdnc propping up dear leader, defending his responses

Just switched over, switching off now

cmsinaz on March 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

OT: Is it me…or does the Limbaugh broadcast seem to have much more content than commercials today?

Tomolena1 on March 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Mar 5, 2012 – Obama to Netanyahu: Yo’ dawg, I gotcho back

Funny -he said the same to the U.S. Catholic Bishops about the Flukeraceptive Mandate before he did not have their back.

LetsBfrank on March 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

His administration has done more for border security than any other administration? Excuse me?!

Doughboy on March 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM

If by “doing more for border security” he means Reaming Larger Holes in the Sieve, why, yes, then I totally see his point.

Lily on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Tomolena1 on March 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Must be you.

ProfShadow on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

“I want to raise gas prices? Does that make sense to anyone here?”

Yes! Yes it does! You’ve said it over and over again. Higher gas prices, to cut down on consumption. Higher gas prices, until it gets to the “actual” cost, considering environmental issues. Yes, it makes PERFECT sense that you want to raise gas prices.

I hope the ad out by the end of the week that tacks that clip on to those where he points out how higher gas prices are beneficial to his clean energy agenda and that we (stupid Americans) will accept the higher prices as long as the increase is gradual.

DanaLynn on March 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

cmsinaz on March 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Wolfie(CNN) thought a very poignant moment in the presser was when BHO talked about picking up the phone and calling Ms Fluke and he didn’t have to…LOL

d1carter on March 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

“Mr. President. A Law Enforcement investigation has determined that your Selective Service registration card and the Birth Certificate the White House posted online are forgeries, and INS cards for Americans returning on flights from overseas are missing from the National Archives for the week of 1-7 August 1961.
How do you explain that?”

Every reporter should be asking some form of the above question, repeatedly until we get to the truth.

Dexter_Alarius on March 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

* 1 Million…

… except that I would address him as “Mr. Present” or “Mr. pResident” (with a silent p).

ITguy on March 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Did they ask him about gasoline prices, the economy, the Alinsky Baraka video and etc?

Schadenfreude on March 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Dexter_Alarius on March 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

There is no way in he!! bho will EVER answer that question! bho has spent millions seeing to it his past is NO WHERE to be found!
You DO realize, that WOULD be a racist question, don’t you?
L

letget on March 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Ya gotta love Wolfie

cmsinaz on March 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

The incredibly shrinking presidency.

Fuquay Steve on March 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Hmmm… 0bama address the nation again, and the market tanks.
Coincidence?
/s

Droopy on March 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Hmmm… 0bama address the nation again, and the market tanks.

Nah, it’s probably due to Global Warming.

GarandFan on March 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM

OT: Where’s Ed ?

gh on March 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Never mind.

I’m on assignment today and tomorrow and won’t do much blogging in my normal slots.

gh on March 6, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Answer to question 1 starts at 10:22. I’m guessing 8-10 minute answer.

dirtseller on March 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

He needs time to sort through the campaign speeches in his head and pull out the appropriate sound bite.

Given that he’s probably known for days what questions would be asked it’s surprising he wasn’t quicker about it, though. Maybe he’s not the smartest man on the planet after all.

creeper on March 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Jugears makeup is being used to give him a lighter shade of pale (so to speak)? And what happened to his purple lips? Must be that great healthcare program in the White House.

platypus on March 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

No, since fell@tio and s0domy don’t require birth control, 0vomit will put someone else in charge of those functions.

BTW, and slightly off topic, who does that chick’s hair? It’s freaking hideous. She looks like she hasn’t shampooed in about a week and just rolled out of bed.

UltimateBob on March 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Well, come on now. According to Ms. Fluke’s testimony, she is constantly and continuously just getting out of bed.

There’s no time to shower, no time to primp or preen – she has a veritable pantheon of paramours waiting to be serviced.

Let’s be thankful that she wasn’t making the beast with two backs on The View yesterday – as if it were possible to make that show more repugnant.

turfmann on March 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Tomolena1 on March 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Sorry, I missed the broadcast.

Too busy working so I can pay taxes so promiscuous law school students can get their free contraceptives.

MichaelGabriel on March 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Sadly, I missed the Won’s presser, again. I’m sure it was full of more of the same. BTW Ms. Fluke’s also pushing for sex change operations. I thought there was something about her that looked not quite right.

Kissmygrits on March 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Well, by his own admission, the stupid crap he said when he was running was just politics and it didn’t matter like closing Gitmo.

Wagthatdog on March 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I can’t look at him; I can’t stand the sound of his voice. It makes me want to vomit just thinking that this is the POTUS. Unbelievable.

sgtstogie on March 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

sgtstogie on March 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I know what you mean, if there is anything I want to find out about him I look for transcripts, and even that is pushing it!

jeannec on March 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM