Mitt: “Not Going To Say Outrageous Things About The President”

posted at 2:30 pm on March 6, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

This one should be right up your alley if you’re looking for some spicy fare on Super Tuesday. Mitt Romney has become known for occasionally shoving his $2,000 Italian leather shoes in his mouth, and this might add a little fuel to that fire. One of the chief complaints against the former governor, raised by conservatives and his opponents, is that he might not be a tough enough fighter to take on President Obama in the fall. They’re looking for a fighter… somebody who will take it to the President and gin up the base. That’s not exactly the tone he was setting when he met with Larry Kudlow for a quick interview.

KUDLOW: All right. And… I’m not going to light my hair on fire.’ That’s you. I don’t have it up here. But you say, `I’m not going to light my hair on fire.’ Was that your way of saying that the economic issues have to be preeminent relative to the social issues? Was that your message?

Gov. ROMNEY: Well, my message is I’m not going to say outrageous things about the president or about my opponents. It gets headlines and a lot of excitement, and it gets you, by the way, a number of days in the polls to get a nice little bump. But I’m going to talk about the real issues Americans face and talk with respect about people who have differing views. I’m not going to attack them personally. I mean, I know that’s fun, but it’s just not productive. And we need, as a nation, to come together to recognize that even though we have differing views about the country and about where we should go, we all love the country. And I recognize that among Democrats and among Republicans. I want to lead the country. I don’t want to castigate half of Americans. I want to bring us together and finally get the job done of having a stronger economy with a–with a government that’s been kept in the—in the–into the box it ought to be kept into.

Unlike some other charges regarding gaffe prone statements which date back to distant history, like… January.. this one takes place this week. And he’s sitting in the battlefield state of Ohio.

Personally I don’t get terribly upset over statements like that, but then again… RINO. I hope the eventual candidate can dance circles around Obama at the debate lecterns, drawing clear comparisons between current policy and what they have to offer. But I also understand that such an approach isn’t always enough to get supporters out in the streets and pounding the pavement for a victory in November. The implication here is that some of the other charges leveled against Obama by the rest of the field are not just in the high tension category, but “outrageous.”

This isn’t gong to do much to bring the base home to roost on Super Tuesday evening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I know we will probably have to settle for Mittens, but I wish he would show that he has a pair of balls, if not, then at least pretend like he does. Damn dude, get real.

rjulio on March 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I haven’t read all of these comments, so apologies if this has already been said.

Mittens had no qualms being snarky in his primaries’ campaigning against other Republicans.

For him to then “take the high road” in campaigning against Obama would be so disingenuous as to put him in the same category as McCain: Obama’s running mate.

If he thinks ‘niceness’ will propel him past Obama at the polling places, he’s sorely mistaken. If he has any hope of beating Obama, he has to look to Netanyahu as a role model…AND tap Allan West for VP. THAT would get me to the voting booth the minute the doors open!

GGMac on March 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

At the March 6 press conference Obama was asked, “What would you like to say to [Mitt] Romney?” A smiling Obama responded, “Uh, good luck tonight.” After reporters laughed, Obama added, “Really”—prompting more laughter and an even broader smile.

Obama and the media are of course in on the same joke; they all want Romney to be the GOP nominee because he is seen as the weakest and least principled of the Republican candidates. The Obama campaign team has also spent months preparing for Romney by digging into his past. If he ever so much as left chewing gum under his seat in elementary school Obama’s campaign staff knows about it. Between the Republican convention and election day, Obama will unveil anti-Romney attacks, saving what he believes are the most effective to the final days of October.

Romney may be afraid to attack Obama, but Obama and Axelrod are going to come out with guns blazing. Romney had better toughen up quickly, or he will be decimated.

Colony14 on March 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM

GGMac on March 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

If he wants to sit back politely and lose to Turdboy that’s his business. He can do it without my vote. I love my country too much to vote for it’s destruction at any speed; Obama-fast or Romney-slow.

swinia sutki on March 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Say there Mr. Softy/Obama lover Mitt Romney: care to press Obama on his astonishing list of hostilities towards the Bible?

Or would doing do be “outrageous?” I’m guessing you’ll put Obama before God.

dave_ross on March 9, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Let’s try that again. Not that I don’t think most people would have figured out the link-but just in case. I want to make absolutely sure everyone regardless of computer skill level gets this.

Or would doing do be “outrageous?” I’m guessing you’ll put Obama before God.

dave_ross on March 9, 2012 at 7:48 AM

dave??

Or would doing do be “outrageous?” I’m guessing you’ll put Obama before God.

Gee dave ross, are you yearning for a Pastor in chief? You may decide on your own about the faith of Barach Obama, and it sure looks like he uses religion for purposes, but hostility toward the bible is a rather nebulous topic and not the things the Romney lists in this interview that are the real issues the presidency has to be run on.

Romney is not running on a platform that has anything to do with contraception, for instance. Someone tried to bait him with that question and it is precisely off topic. And not Romney’s area of expertise.

He runs Complex organizations and gets people out of the red, lays off government workers, supports Right to Work, more domestic energy, the right to earn a living and keep your money, but he doesn’t do a carnival act, that is the point. Not much to do with policing poor attitudes about the bible. That is your pastor’s job.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Gee dave ross, are you yearning for a Pastor in chief?

No but I don’t want a runner-up for the anti-christ either. Guess I’m just picky though.

You may decide on your own about the faith of Barach Obama,

Actually judging by his FRUITS (actions, behaviors) he’s made that pretty clear himself, I’d say.

and it sure looks like he uses religion for purposes,

And there is a problem, wouldn’t you say?

but hostility toward the bible is a rather nebulous topic

I think you are in the minority on that view, because if one lacks a moral compass, a moral foundation, nothing else will be as solid and pure as it should be.

I never said this is something for Romney to run on
but it’s certainly worthy of something to attack Obama with-but of course attacking Obama the rabid communist is the LAST thing Mitt wants to do in any way shape or form…we get it.

He doesn’t have to zero-in on that level, but AT LEAST on a broader level-demonstrate to the public Obama’s hostilities towards the Bible, and how he is clearly LYING when he claims to be a Christian.

And those are all great, but it will take more than friendly talk and smiles to beat Obama. Romney will not beat Obama, because he is too friendly. Obama will use Romneycare as a SWORD and VICIOUSLY attack Romney-wait and see.

Come on now. Did you even look at the list? You right that off as just a “poor attitude?” I think that’s a bit of an understatement.

That is your pastor’s job

Actually it is all of our jobs, (as believers anyhow) to elect Godly leaders.

Fleuries on March 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM