Allen West on VP chatter: I’m willing and ready to serve in whatever capacity

posted at 10:30 am on March 6, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Sarah Palin suggested it and, now, Allen West says he’d consider it. On Starting Point with Soledad O’Brien this morning, the Florida Republican Congressman recounted his unexpected and relatively quick journey to his present position of prominence and said he’d be equally willing to take on a vice presidential run.

“As far as the Vice President thing, you know, who knows,” he said. “Because it wasn’t too long ago I was sitting in the desert of Kandahar, Afghanistan, and now I’m here talking with you. … I am always willing and ready to serve my country in whatever capacity that the American people would desire.”

Sarah Palin was far from the first person to think that Allen West would be a compelling choice for the No. 2 spot on the ticket. Our own Patrick Ishmael has included Allen West as a potential VP candidate in Hot Air readership polls for months — and Hot Air readers have frequently vaulted him to the top of their preferred list. Still, Palin, as a former particularly energizing VP candidate herself, put West on the national vice presidential radar.

He’d make a better counterbalance to Mitt Romney than to Rick Santorum, though. The DNC and Debbie Wasserman Schultz will already hammer Santorum on “women’s issues.” Can you imagine the vengeance if West — who has directly called out DWS for her unladylike behavior — were on the ticket, too?

Regardless of whether he catapults to the national stage after a single term as a freshman congressman, though, West’s keen sense of patriotism and fresh tell-it-like-it-is approach to politics will ensure his popularity for years to come.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

RebeccaH on March 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

West as V.P. helps the GOP w/ two things. One, it potentially peals off a percentage, or even just half of one percent of the monolithic black vote Democrats get. That small margin guarantees the South solidly in the Republican column despite Democrat efforts in North Carolina and Virginia, possibly helps in Michigan, and practically locks Pennsylvania for the GOP.

Two, its a boon for the GOP because West is set up for the Presidency in future cycles. There are blacks that simply voted out of race loyalty in spite of Obama liberal radicalism; West gives them an option again.

Even if the GOP screws the pooch, Allen West’s bright political future is all but assured, either as Senator, Governor, or President.

Jurisprudence on March 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

More than that, I think. I’d bet that most ex- and current military black votes go for West in this scenario. That is a significant number.

Would be great to see how Powell votes on this one. He’d be very exposed, IMO, and would show his true liberal colors.

riddick on March 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Balls, Black, Bright, and Unafraid. I really like him.

It also makes the 14% black vote that Obama starts off with blink.

NoPain on March 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Loser.

Sarah Palin has about as good a chance as Allen West ever getting elected Vice President.

See: 0%

Lord on March 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Lord on March 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

racist

Roy Rogers on March 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Disgusting how these CNN makes fun of a Black Man who’s accomplished and uses Palin as some kind of unwitting accomplice

amend2 on March 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

blockquote></Hey, you know what? I would have loved to seen Allen West run for President! Maybe down the road, eh?

RebeccaH on March 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Racist..”Down the Road” connotes “Tobacco Road” which brings visions of slavery immediately to ones head. Apologize immediately. And when you do, make sure that it is sincere so that the Apology Police can determine so.

Strike Twice on March 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I like the guy. He got suckered by his own leaders on the supercommittee, but that is what I call a valuable learning experience. West seems to be a fast learner. Better he learn that at the beginning, than down the road where he takes a sword meant for others

The person closest to the West persona, IMHO, is Dwight Eisenhower

entagor on March 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Romney / West – Cause you know you wanna see a West/Biden debate!

Santorum / West is my preference of course.

BKennedy on March 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I would be ecstatic if the GOP would have the courage to nominate a man who, aside from his credentials, could impact the racial dialogue (or is that diatribe?) in this country immensely. I’m not holding my breath, but it would sure energize me again.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on March 12, 2012 at 4:03 AM