Great news: Most annoying character on “The Walking Dead” now dead

posted at 8:17 pm on March 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

I made the title of the post ambiguous in case any readers Tivo’d it and haven’t watched yet, but c’mon. We all know who I’m talking about. Realistically, it could only be one of two people: Either Sophia’s mopey mom, whose name I still don’t know, or that endlessly whining bleeding heart Dale. (Alas, the screencap AMC chose for the clip embedded below gives it away.) Now that some of the dead weight is being shed, I take it poor underused T-Dog is next. Or maybe Herschel’s other daughter, who tried to kill herself a few episodes ago? As with Sophia, until that plotline unspooled, I had no idea that character even existed. I wonder which barely-there member of the ensemble will be next to be suddenly thrust to center stage in the expectation that anyone watching cares a whit about them.

Incidentally, the kill scene here is dumb on several levels. How did Dale not hear it coming in the still of the night? These things growl constantly every time they’re onscreen, which isn’t often. How did the zombie disembowel him with his bare hands? (Admittedly, that’s happened in Romero movies too.) Tacking it on at the end right after the big dramatic climax with the prisoner made it feel random and haphazard, a zombie ex machina to get rid of the character before people start tuning out in sheer irritation at his do-good-ism. Then again, all’s well that ends well — and this certainly ended well. And in fairness, they did a brilliant job with the scene of Rick’s son tossing rocks at the zombie stuck in the mud. For all the grating soap-opera melodrama, there are sporadic flashes of genius in how the show captures the pathos of the zombies’ predicament. The scene of that zombie snarling from the end of a noose was the best thing about the first half of this season. Having little Carl amuse himself by humiliating a zombie who’s helpless in front of him was a more affecting moment of dehumanization than the entire Shane storyline. More of that and fewer weepy “here’s mah pappy’s timepiece” exchanges between Glenn and Herschel, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Allahpundit apparently lives in a parallel universe in which Hot Air readers care about “The Walking Dead.”

vegconservative on March 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Where will I get my weekly dose of idiotic liberal rants?

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Oh, c’mon…. I’ll miss Dale. The mistake was putting him in the foreground. The guy that plays him has an amzing talent for generally glowering at people and events from a distance.

HEY YOU WALKERS – GET OFFA MY LAWN!

corncat on March 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

vegconservative on March 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Go read someone else’s blog if you don’t like it. Nobody makes you read this post .

—-

In regards to this latest episode I agree there is no way Dale does not hear the zombie. Also I have a hard time believing Rick would even entertain executing the captured dude. Overall this season is much better than the first. I will not miss and episode and will enjoy APs posts regarding the show for sure.

CW on March 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The Husband likes this show but I don’t watch so I’m using AP’s story as a guessing game.

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Newt is Darryl?

Santorum is Shane?

Romney is Glenn.

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I’m in the same boat. Not being a prime time viewer, I wasn’t even aware of this show.

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This guy was really the only true conservative of the group, now he’s dead

sadsushi on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Frum is Dale!

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I’m sorry-but no character ANYWHERE, live or fictional-will EVER be more annoying than me.
Neener.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

With the killing of Dale, they have now killed off 50% of the remaining older population. Hence, I didn’t like it.

I wanted to see the kid get it. He’s acting like a brat, and his mother – who jumps to his defense whenever he acts up – is so neglectful she doesn’t even wonder where he is all day. While he roams the woods and various other places where he isn’t supposed to be.

She deserves to loose him, for sure.

Alana on March 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM

After two decent episodes, I knew this one was going to suck the high hard one.

Dale does die in the source material, but not in this way. Its another deviation from said material which is really annoying and messes with what makes this a great ‘comic’.

The rants against torture were particularly tiresome.

Does no one watch the kid during the day? He wanders around the farm – an area already established that has the occasional zombie walk into it. He rifles through a guys stuff, takes a gun, wanders into the surrounding countryside, comes across the zombie, then effs around with it till almost sundown, then almost gets eaten – and no one wondered where he was, least of all his mother or father?

catmman on March 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

The media are the walkers.

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Neener.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Neener back. *sticks out rolled tongue*

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Where will I get my weekly dose of idiotic liberal rants?

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I don’t think Dale was liberal. He was the only one left with a principled stand for the dignity of human life. The rest consider everyone expendable if they do not fit in with the plan.

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Isn’t this the show before Comic Book Men?

KillerKane on March 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Oh. So this isn’t a network show? *yes, I’m clueless*

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Isn’t this the show before Comic Book Men?

KillerKane on March 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Yes. CBM is probably a better show.

catmman on March 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

First I’m going to see if it’s available on On Demand and if it isn’t he’ll have to wait alllll the way until next Sunday for the answer. Unless of course, he can guess.

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

How was Dale stupid enough to go walking by himself at night.

fleiter on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

If zombies are so slow, clumsy, and smelly, how come they are always taking people by surprise?

Blake on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Why are we talking about TV when Game of Thrones isn’t back on yet?

e-pirate on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Good riddance. What else should they do with the kid BUT kill him? Smh..

On another note though,

Im still wondering what it meant when they seen the walkers who didnt have bite marks.

Politricks on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Why are we talking about TV when Game of Thrones isn’t back on yet?

e-pirate on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Because we’re not into boinking our sisters or having dragon sex.

Blake on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, T-Dog is barely in the show. Maybe the’re saving him for when that one-handed racist guy comes back.

Anyway, really good episode. Dale was annoying, but not too bad, imo.

Dongemaharu on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, Predator (at 8:33)- I thought it was just me.

Alana on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Dale was like the Glenn Beck of the group.

The show sucks now anyways.

I stopped watching when it became down home on the farm week 24-7.

The Waltons meets Zombies=dumb as hell.

Mr.Mark on March 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Wow. Would you look at those times on my and predator’s posts!

Alana on March 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

iowahawk set up a petition on the white house web site for obama to resign:

sbvft contributor on March 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Uh oh. I went back in time and posted my reply ahead of Cindy. I love it here at Hot Twilight Zone.

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Hahahahaha Romney is Glenn.

Rusty Allen on March 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I’d really like for them to kill off Carl and Laurie. Then maybe, just maybe, the plot could move on a bit.

NotoriousFin on March 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I lol’d at the post title.

For me, Lori is frequently the most annoying character. Dale was the ‘voice of conscience’ on the show & I suppose someone else will have to pickup that duty.

clancy_wiggum on March 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

How was Dale stupid enough to go walking by himself at night.

fleiter on March 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM

He was walking back to the RV from the house, heard a ‘noise’ out in a field and walked to check it out. Turned out it was a cow that had been attacked and partially eaten, but wasn’t quite dead yet.

He turns around and WHAMMO! The zombie that didn’t shut up the whole time Carl was effing with it, snuck up on a guy in alert mode in an open field.

catmman on March 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

What irritated me was the flip-flop by the blonde. First she’s on board with the execution, stating that there’s no alternative, then she flips to Dale’s side without offering a viable alternative.

Dead Hand Control on March 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Also, the appropriate thought process would have been Oh, a half eaten cow. I should probably be on guard for the zombies that did this.

Dead Hand Control on March 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Dead Hand Control, that’s not the only fli-flop from nowhere! How about Hershel all of a sudden deciding he likes Glen so much for his daughter that he gives him his watch?

One assumes that is because he liked the cut of Glen’s jib at the Zombie shootout at the saloon.

But it didn’t quite work. Plus, when they came home from that and his daughter Maggie runs past HIM in order to hug Glen . . . well, that wouldn’t endear the average father to a kid he already didn’t like very much.

So, two flip-flops that make no sense.

Alana on March 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

One down, two to go. Now if only they’ll continue the trend with Lori and Carl then we can have us a proper zombie post-apocalyptic television program.

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

ESP, guess the winning lottery numbers!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

T Dog hasn’t had a word to say in AGES. If they are only saving him to confront the (stereotypical, southern racist horror) Meryl, then they really are racist. Aren’t they. Huh.

Alana on March 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ESP, guess the winning lottery numbers!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on March 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I’m Psyyyyyyychic! *Oh,wait. That’s “psycho.” Never mind*

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

This would never happen in Westeros.

mythicknight on March 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Personally, I think they should all die now and we follow another group. I don’t like any of the remaining people. Follow another group, then we can have a good show.

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

21st century and these people are still armed with six-shooters and shotguns? Where’s the heavy hardware????

Rovin on March 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I quit watching this show after the second episode.

Dack Thrombosis on March 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Hell, there is even a show about this show called The Talking Dead.

Blake on March 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I like this show because, well, zombies. Even if there’s not always enough of them. But the stupid level just keeps getting worse. Laurie running off a couple episodes back to get Rick? Dumb. Little dude (Carl?) being allowed to constantly wander around by himself? Dumb.

It’s gotten to the point that I can’t wait for them all to get eaten by walkers. Every. Single. One of them.

flipflop on March 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Hey, I was with Dale on the issue of keeping the captive alive.

But he is definately a liberal; he is always trying to take away the guns.

Disturb the Universe on March 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Daryl’s not without his charms and Herschel is starting to grow on me. The old man was slow to adapt but his is adapting and that’s more than I can say for most of them.

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Olive Oyl’s got to go!

Socmodfiscon on March 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I quit watching this show after the second episode.

Dack Thrombosis on March 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Thanks for sharing.

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

They need to merge this show with Sons of Anarchy.

Maggie vs Jemma catfight.

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Olive Oyl’s got to go!

Socmodfiscon on March 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Oyl? Frack her!

predator on March 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

More entertaining had Carl got the idea to stay put and throw rocks at the zombie until he bashed his head in. Like blowing up anthills with firecrackers.

Al-Ozarka on March 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Now we get to watch his guilt evolve; it was that zombie that got Dale.

Disturb the Universe on March 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I Liked Dale!!!! Can’t stand the kid or Mom!!!

lisa fox on March 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Hell, there is even a show about this show called The Talking Dead.

Blake on March 5, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Sadly, that show is about the GOP debates.

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Stopped watching this about mid-last season. Apparently the only real suspense — in between all of the “contemporary American relationship” centered melodrama, whining, conflict, and emoting — is who gets eaten/bitten by the zombies next.

This is basically a day-time soap opera turned zombie TV serial series.

farsighted on March 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

So, anyone else excited about the fight for the lead part in Smash tonight?

Hello?

No? Um, that’s okay… I’ll show myself out.

Fallon on March 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Either Sophia’s mopey mom, whose name I still don’t know

I don’t know who she is either. In fact, it took me through half the second season before I realized she wasn’t supposed to be recovering from cancer. I felt sorry for her character at first because she had shaved her head. Naturally, I thought she had been going through chemo.

Last night, she had that pointless scene where she yelled at Rick and his wife because their son was rude. Hopefully she is next.

jeffn21 on March 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Neener.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

That’s what you aspire to?

You don’t set the bar very high.

Then again, considering this crowd, maybe you do.

I like the show. Not all zombie shows can be non-stop Zombieland. Just like it will be after the zombie apocalypse. What I find hard to believe is that none of these jokers can slap together a decent suppressor,or, that they haven’t scavenged reloading equipment.

-or a wire and tin can zombie alarm
-or put an observation post on the high ground (those encroachers will need to build a fire occasionally)
-or put together a real expedition for long term important supplies
-or modified a vehicle for the post apocalypse world
-or a zillion other things that would be more important than spilling these characters feelings every episode.

And no I don’t spend too much time contemplating the zombie apocalypse…just the apocalypse.

And yeah, I am ready.

And no, you cannot come over.
unless I get an 8X10 color glossy ahead of time along with vital statistics. Then I will choose from among the better entrants. Being a good conversationalist is not a plus. I don’t talk much.

cozmo on March 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

T-dog? I thought it was C-dog.

Huh.

corncat on March 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

The Walking Who? Never heard of it. Geez, I feel like I’m over at Ace of Spades site.

atxcowgirl on March 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Jeffrey DeMunn (Dale) was the rumored actor who voiced his displeasure when AMC axed Frank Darabont.

I wonder who is going to be the new Jiminy Cricket of the group with Dale being killed off by ninja zombie.

RedRobin145 on March 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Politricks on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Spoiler alert……

Shane shanked a walker with his knife, later on in the bus he cut open his hand with same knife.
Shane infected himself…He’s next to go.

Sorry, you asked.

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Could this be a slow news day..?

d1carter on March 5, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Hell, there is even a show about this show called The Talking Dead.

… waitin’ for the Galactica Cross-over… The Fracking Dead.

corncat on March 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I didn’t watch the show. Had to recharge my Nose Hair trimmer.

SparkPlug on March 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

On AMC they had a poll if Randall should be killed, It split right down the standard poll of the death penalty 51% for 49% not.

If someone is about to shout you execute style start singing the national anthem, amazing grace or just a open prayer. It would destroy them no matter who it is and it would be harder for them to do it and might not do it at all. That is if they are the judge jury and executioner.

tjexcite on March 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

But the Democrat’s voting dead will never die.

galtani on March 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

The Voting Dead cant be killed.

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Spoiler Alert!
Because he’s the 12th Doctor.

corncat on March 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

But the Democrat’s voting dead will never die.

galtani on March 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

how did that happen? I’m responding to posts that haven’t been made yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

The inevtiable walking dead sucks post is almost as bad as the inevitable 5:30 abortion thread.

lorien1973 on March 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

If they decide to kill off Darryl, there’s no telling how much my interest level in this show will crash; I’d almost certainly stop watching it.

Why does Carl throw like a girl? Between Rick and Shane, neither of them could teach him how to throw??

Btw, Dale… the mere fact that the group helped fix up the kid’s leg and then spent a couple of days to ponder whether or not to kill him, shows they’ve retained some sense of the “old world” order; as opposed to just killing him outright or leaving him to die with his skewered leg.

That new kid creeps me out. He’s trouble. No matter how much he ingratiates himself in the group, he’s a bad seed.

shannon76 on March 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Dale’s death is important. It was clear that Dale was the only “Voice of Civilization” of the group. The episode was laying out Dale’s importance as the conscience of the group, and now that he’s dead, they’re going to find themselves adrift.

As for the zombie “sneaking up” on Dale. A) it was night and B) the cow’s groans were a lot like those of the zombie.

I especially liked the kid’s remorse at not shooting the zombie. He knows what he did by not shooting the walker.

Nethicus on March 5, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I don’t watch the show, but I strangely enjoy reading about it…didn’t realize the zombies are called walkers, so I didn’t get the big deal at first when I read on another site about the kid throwing rocks at a walker stuck in the mud (yes, I was picturing a walker that the elderly use being stuck in the mud!)…I guess I should watch, but I’m squeamish…I only suffer through True Blood for Eric!

ellifint on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

vegconservative on March 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

So, I guess someone must have kidnapped you at gunpoint, dragged you in front of a computer, made you surf to Hot Air, ordered you to click on the Walking Dead thread, and forced you to actually post a comment. Harsh.

Hayabusa on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Politricks on March 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Spoiler alert……

Shane infected himself…He’s next to go.

Sorry, you asked.

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Every one is already infected. Just like HIV but as long as they don’t die or get sick with infection and a weaken immune system they stay alive.

tjexcite on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

faraway on March 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Aarrrggghhhh! The Posting Dead!

atxcowgirl on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Am I the only one who had any liking for Dale? I mean, yeah, they made him kinda pathetic and one-note, but he still stood for something noble. Personally, I wish Andrea had bought the farm (pun intended). She annoys me to no end. Or if not her, then that stupid girl who wanted to commit suicide.

T-Rav on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

So, zombies are the protagonists of the show right? Because they are the ones I keep rooting for.

jhffmn on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Television is for f*gs and b*tches.

Feel free to define those two terms as you wish, but sofa-sitting and pogue-bait chewin’ is part of the equation.

M240H out.

M240H on March 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Allah needs to get a girl and get out more.

Ed, Tina and the rest of the folks at Hot Air, can you fix him up with friends . . . .

Bubba Redneck on March 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Poll question: how many would really object if Rick’s annoying wife was the next to go?

I could do without her, a couple of Hershel’s daughters.

Keep Darryl, the blonde woman, Glenn, and I guess Hershel (I’m sure he has more mementos from the old country that he wants to pawn off). That list would be my ‘untouchables’.

shannon76 on March 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

What happens when zombies make a fresh kill? Do they go back into lurk mode and wait for more victims to show up? NO! They squat down and eat, and eat, and eat!

There was no excuse for Dale to be taken by surprise by the cow-killng zombie. If Otis was good enough to allow Shane to escape, the cow should’ve been good enough to warn Dale.

Not that the show won’t be better now that mopey Dale is gone…I just have a problem with the method.

James on March 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hell, there is even a show about this show called The Talking Dead.

… waitin’ for the Galactica Cross-over… The Fracking Dead.

corncat on March 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Ah . . . Six!

Bubba Redneck on March 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

shannon76 on March 5, 2012 at 9:06 PM

She’s easy on the eyes, she can stay.

Dale could have stayed, the humanity isn’t gone, just taking a needed break.

Andrea can go and Daryl can step up along with T-Dog.

I’m ready for the real terror of the post apocalyptic world. Defending it from humans who didn’t have any humanity to start with…like people from Philadelphia.

cozmo on March 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

tjexcite on March 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Remember the CDC? Clean blood tests……Just saying.

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I wanted the kid to die. He is annoying and deserves to get eaten by zombies. Hope they kill him off soon.

thphilli on March 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I’m assuming young Carl turns into Spiderman, because that little storyline turn is fresh out of the death of Peter Parker’s Uncle Ben.

shaner5000 on March 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

James on March 5, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Not to pick on you in particular too much but are you complaining about a lack of realism on a show dealing with the zombie apocalypse. Dale’s dead and I refuse to look that gift horse in the mouth. Space aliens could have showed up and killed Dale and I would have been fine with it so long as it meant I didn’t have to listen to him anymore.

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Remember the CDC? Clean blood tests……Just saying.

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Tester could have lied. Remember he whispered something in to Rick’s ear when they were leaving. He could have told him they were infected.

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

philoquin on March 5, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Or that Laurie was pregnant…

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Remember the CDC? Clean blood tests……Just saying.

MaxSplinters on March 5, 2012 at 9:12 PM

The writers put the blood tests in the plot for a reason and just to have them come back all clean doesn’t really justify them being written in. I suspect there’s more to it than we’ve been shown so far.

alchemist19 on March 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Thing is, that zombie still looked better than most of the OWS people.

Bishop on March 5, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Oh come on, Jake is infinitely more obnoxious than that guy who bought it.

Must have been a…..stealth Zombie.

KirknBurker on March 5, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I liked Dale as well. I keep hoping that Rick’s wife is the next one killed off. As a whole though the characters are getting less and less sympathetic.

What I don’t get is that these people are sleeping in tents and feeling perfectly safe while zombies are walking around the fields.

jpmn on March 5, 2012 at 9:21 PM