Video: Nanny of the Month is …

posted at 4:00 pm on March 3, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Time once again for Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month, and unfortunately, we have plenty of contestants for the title. Chuck Schumer makes a hilarious bid for the title by claiming that the next nefarious “club drug” will be inhalable … caffeine.  Utah state legislator Tim Cosgrove gets an honorable mention for a bill that would new-age healers in jail for a year unless they get an expensive massage license, even though the practice in question doesn’t necessarily involve touch.  But the award goes to another state legislator in neighboring Arizona, who wants to force advertisers to disclose airbrushing in their ads:

But this month, the top slot goes to someone else.

In the midst of the Kate Upton Sports Illustrated airbrushing controversy comes word that a Grand Canyon state pol decides it’s time to crack down on post production techniques that make models smoother and sexier. (But hey, she’s doing it for the kids!)

Presenting Reason.tv’s Nanny of the Month for February 2012: Arizona state Rep. Katie Hobbs (D-Phoenix)!

You know what I notice in this clip?  The headshot for Rep. Hobbs looks a lot different than her appearance in the video in which she touts her bill.  Did someone touch up her professional headshot?  Isn’t that … misleading?  At some point, we’re going to have disclaimer overload — so many mandated disclaimers on products and advertising that no one bothers to read them.  I already laugh at the pharmaceutical ads that go through a long string of potential side effects, including death.  In the case of erectile-dysfunction ads, the disclaimer even sounds like a benefit: “If you experience an erection for four hours or more, contact your physician immediately! Or perhaps a Georgetown Law student.”

I’d have chosen Schumer in this case, since making a federal case of caffeine is even more absurd, but it’s difficult to quibble with this choice.

Comments

ahhh!!hahaha…

BYOC!

ted c on March 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

How about disclaimers that warn people when they are close to the office of a demorat.

Bishop on March 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Flakeing

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Ed Morrissey should apologize for the dastardly implications in this comment! /

sharrukin on March 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

But this month, the top slot goes to someone else.

“Heh” –RL

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Laugh line of the day! Still chuckling Ed.

Dee2008 on March 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

There isn’t a single product that can “make you look perfect”? Damn!

Marcus on March 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Bishop on March 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Warning alternate reality zone. Please be prepared to suspend all critical thinking. Engaging in discussion with persons within may cause loss of commonsense.

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Do you have to bring your own contraceptives or does she provide them for free?

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 4:09 PM

So a Democrat wants to make it illegal to make the subjects of pictures more attractive than they are without a disclaimer informing the viewer that alterations have been made to produce a more pleasing result?

Will this apply to the economic picture? How about the energy picture? Unemployment picture?

Left Coast Right Mind on March 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

So when do we start using the term “Fluking” as a synonym for intercourse (like we do with “fracking” – thanks Battlestar Galactica)?

Mitoch55 on March 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

How about mandating a disclaimer in political advertisements when politicians make promises they don’t have to keep?

Socratease on March 3, 2012 at 4:12 PM

What will these Republican’s do about their “Ed Morrissey problem”?

JPeterman on March 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I’m constantly amazed at the people who I know for a fact wanted the gov out of their lives a few years or decades ago… now welcome the gov managing their every-little-thing.
What the hell happened?

RalphyBoy on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Of course it would be Arizona – the state with the highest density of blond, stick-thin waifs in the whole world.

ernesto on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

My son was art director of a bridal magazine for several years and says you’d be really surprised to see how bad some of those models look in real life. Tatoos, acne, facial hair, under-eye circles…all kinds of stuff has to be ‘fixed’ in their photos. But to some extent, we all know this. Parents, please share this knowledge with your little girls so the government doesn’t need to create a whole new agency to do it for you.

Dee2008 on March 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

guessing that they will require Playboy to disclose that they are airbrushing models too!

abnormal_1 on March 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I’m actually a tiny sympathetic to the airbrush ordeal.

In my early teens, I was going through an awkward phase (I later morphed into a good looking person, thank you – and the men began chasing me), but during those awkward years, the boys at school would actually hold up photos of models taped to their book covers and with a sneer on their face ask me, “Why don’t you look like this?”

It’s tough being a female, feeling as though you have to measure up to anorexic/ stick figure / air brushed- to- perfection women on magazine covers and television covers.

These days I just push it aside and ignore it as best I can. That kind of acceptance only comes with age.

But when you’re a teen girl, or in your 20s, it’s difficult to tune out those constant messages Madison Ave. sends about what you “should” look like.

Here’s an interview with a woman who used to model for certain secular magazines, and how those magazines can and do damage the perceptions women have of themselves, men, relationships, etc:

Christian Model Takes on Racy Cosmo

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

LoL Ed!

You’re hilarious when you’re on a roll.

FlatFoot on March 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

What the hell happened?

RalphyBoy on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Its called lying.

They wanted to substitute their own ideology in place of what previously existed.

sharrukin on March 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Jackpot to Ed!

petefrt on March 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM

What he really means.

BobMbx on March 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

No, I’m a conservative Christian female who turned out to look okay, but during my teen years, I felt I didn’t measure up to the air brushed models in magazines or the barely-dressed women in music videos. It’s not just liberal women who struggle with this issue, a lot of conservative females do as well.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Of course it would be Arizona a female liberal – the state with the highest density of blond, stick-thin waifs who are the most insecure and vain demographic in the whole world.

ernesto on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

What he really means.

BobMbx on March 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Stuff like this is proof positive that these pols have entirely too much time on their hands. Give them 3 months/year and require they spend the rest of the time in their districts.

petefrt on March 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

If we ban air-brushing, what will happen to Cameron Diaz’s career? It’s not like she can get by on her acting “talent”.

MidniteRambler on March 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM

What will these Republican’s do about their “Ed Morrissey problem”?

JPeterman on March 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Genius

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Christian Model Takes on Racy Cosmo

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Reminds me of this sage advice:

Do not read beauty magazines. They will only make you feel ugly.

Fallon on March 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Jack+Black+-+The+Misinformant
Disclaimer please…

RalphyBoy on March 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM

What about makeup? I had a roommate who was beautiful with lots of well placed makeup, but when she would come out of her room in the morning sans makeup, yikes! Frau Blücher.

Maybe women who enhance their beauty with makeup should wear a warning: “Might be coyote ugly in the morning.”

Fallon on March 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Heh. Most guys would call all their buds first.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Ed, Waite Park salutes you.

Roy Rogers on March 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Nancy will not like this.

jeanie on March 3, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Excellent Nanny of the Month, Reason TV.

What offense is the airbrushing disclaimer making up for? The fact that you’re looking at something fake or the fact that the person is different looking than what you see? Is this far left political correctness or right wing dislike of unnatural things?!? What’s the point???

The Nerve on March 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

hahaha

That’s it, no more ace of spades comment reading for you, Ed!!

thirtyandseven on March 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

that’s got to be Ed’s money quote of the year.

ted c on March 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

or right wing dislike of unnatural things?!? What’s the point???

The Nerve on March 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Are you really saying that Republicans don’t like enhanced women?

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM

That’s it, no more ace of spades comment reading for you, Ed!!

thirtyandseven on March 3, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Ace has been a bad influence on me. And by “bad,” I of course mean totally awesome.

Ed Morrissey on March 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ed Morrissey on March 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

haha yeah, that makes two of us.

thirtyandseven on March 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Dee2008 on March 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

This minute and a half splash of cold reality (from 6 years ago) sums it up nicely.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

True story:

Back about 20-years or so ago I was working in downtown San Diego at the downtown courthouse. There were about 5 of us that used to usually go to lunch together pretty much everyday and we’d spend our hour lunch at Horton Plaza where there are many places to choose from to eat. The girl watching was pretty nifty too. This one particular day there were 7 Playboy models all making an appearance at Planet Hollywood (now closed and gone) to publicize the upcoming month’s edition of Playboy which featured the-most-beautiful-girls-of- something or other. I forget what they were supposed to be the most beautiful of.

Anyway, the Playboy models were autographing the next months Playboy edition if you bought it there. The magazines and start of the line were in one area and the models in another area behind closed doors. Well, we were all for meeting the ladies and so we decided to forgo the lunch meal in lieu of the lasting mammaries, er, memories. We bought our Playboy magazines and waited for our turn to meet the 7 girls and have them autograph their, um, spread.

As we waited in line we perused the Playboy magazines and their ‘photo essays’. The photo’s of the models were tastefully done and as always they were absolutely gorgeous with perfect everythings. I was a twenty-something single young man and I can tell you that I was getting a little bit, uh, excited about meeting the ladies. After about 45 minutes in line we finally got to the front. Two guys ushered us into this room that was full of Playboy paraphernalia and posters and whatnot and up on a small stage were the 7 Playboy models. I was so like, “Yes! I am so totally going to remember this for the rest of my life!”

Ha. I’ve remembered those ladies for the last 20 years or so alright. Oh my gosh they were absolutely nothing like they were pictured… other than the fact that they had human bodies, appeared to be actual females, and were drawing breath (and of course fully clothed). At least 5 of them looked like strung out junkies with oily hair, acne, acne scars, lots of Tatt’s, yellow tinged eyes, flabby arms and poocha-bellies. They looked like stereotypical welfare momma’s. The other two were fairly attractive and nice looking but again, nothing like they were pictured.

To say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement. I bought their magazine which cost extra in order to get the autographs, missed lunch, stood in line for an hour, and I got the autographs of 5 skanks and 2 meh’s and no lunch. That’s the day I learned for a fact that nothing in magazines and/or advertising is ‘real’ as photographed.

FlatFoot on March 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I always love the nanny of the month piece that Reason puts together. The site can be a bit too Ron Paul libertarian at times, but it is always a good read over there. Keep up the good work Nick Gilespie and company.

simkeith on March 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

“Feminism was established to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream” -Rush Limbaugh

A proposed law to hamper lovely women being sponsored by a not as lovely woman. Whoda thunkit?

wildcat72 on March 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Maybe. People like Santorum don’t like a lot of things.

The Nerve on March 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

TigerPaw, it’s a good thing you didn’t go to school when we used ink pens. That’s when girls who were less than comely got their pigtails dipped in the ink well by the nasty boy sitting behind them. Funny, I don’t recall any anguished calls from parents or other liberal types to ban ink wells.

How about parents use their influence over their children to give them the confidence to ignore the airbrushed art in magazines? Oh, I forgot, parents have no influence over their children–they cannot even be expected to pack them a healthy lunch. Never mind.

NOMOBO on March 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM

FlatFoot on March 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

You get what you pay for…

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Maybe. People like Santorum don’t like a lot of things.

The Nerve on March 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Given the context and breath of the assertion, I’m not sure we’re even talking the same language. Are you sure your in the right thread or are you saying that all Republicans share Santorum’s views?

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

ahhh!!hahaha…

BYOC!

ted c on March 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I get to watch Ed on his show once in a while, and see ^^^^ this once in a while…he wouldn’t want too…but I think I’d like to hang out with Ed.

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Sorry you went through that, but it wasn’t your looks, it was that children are like the animal kingdom. They pick off the weak and defenseless. If they sense they can get to you to break you down. I was about as homely as they come, short boy hair, gapped front teeth, flat chest. I also regularly applied my foot to testicles, and no one messed with me, and I was 5’1 and around 90lbs. If parents do nothing else, they should teach their kids to have confidence and not take any crap.

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Ed, If you keep posting pictures of Kate Upton, I’m gonna have to start telling people that I read Hot Air “for the articles.”

Dopenstrange on March 3, 2012 at 5:17 PM

I’m waiting for the law that states that:

All political commercials and statements made by public officials SHALL carry the following warning on-screen at all times during their presentation: “This is an ad for or a statement by a politician; what follows may include distorted facts, irrelevant conclusions, and on occasion, outright lies.”

GarandFan on March 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

FlatFoot on March 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Hillarious!!!!!

bluealice on March 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This will eventually lead to transgenders and cross dresses wearing disclaimer labels… so we got that going for us.

RalphyBoy on March 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I think I understand why you had issues making friends…

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

So when do we start using the term “Fluking” as a synonym for intercourse.

Mitoch55 on March 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

“What the Fluke”!

PatMac on March 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

That’s right, man. Relationships:

easy to get into, hard to maintain.
Why are they so hard to maintain?

Because it’s hard to keep up the lie.
‘Cause you can’t get nobody being you.

You got to lie to get somebody.

You can’t get nobody looking like you look,
acting like you act…
sounding like you sound.

When you meet somebody for the first time,
you’re not meeting them.

You’re meeting their representative.

That’s right.

[Women are] Masters of the lie, the visual lie.

Look at you.
You got on heels, you ain’t that tall.

You got on makeup,
your face don’t look like that.

You got a weave, your hair ain’t that long.

You got a Wonderbra on
your t*****s ain’t that big.

Everything about you is a lie,
and you expect me to tell the truth?

F*** YOU!

~Chris Rock

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 3, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I think I understand why you had issues making friends…

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Had trouble making friends? I don’t understand. I was freshman, sophmore, junior, and senior class favorite. Also, once I got past the serious homelies, I was Jr class homecoming queen. Everybody just knew I’d kick your a$$ if you gave me any crap. I enjoyed sticking up for kids who got bullied, and inserted myself into many, many fights, that I shouldn’t have, but now I’m glad I did. If was well worth the multiple 3 Day suspensions. I guess now I’d be in juvenile detention, and I think that’s why there’s so many kids bullied these days without a way they, or other kids, can stick up for them, and kick the bull butt.

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Dee2008 on March 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM

FlatFoot on March 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Makes you wonder why the magazines start out with real people in the first place.

AesopFan on March 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Yep the best way to endear yourself to the other side is to kick them in their reproductive glands…

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I suspect she wasn’t too interested in endearing herself to those she was busy delivering a swift kick to. That’s my take on it.

sharrukin on March 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone measure up in their teen years?

2. Do you measure up now? (careful, this is a trick question)

BobMbx on March 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

How about if we enact a similar bill regarding politicians who photoshop their stand on issues when they campaign?

bw222 on March 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Will nancy pelosi have to wear a sign under her face now?

truth in advertising but no truth in politics….

aniptofar on March 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Like all leftists, Katie wants the rest of us to suffer the consequences of her deep insecurities. Pathetic indeed. Seek therapy, Katie.

runningpundit on March 3, 2012 at 6:26 PM

There isn’t a single product that can “make you look perfect”? Damn!

Marcus on March 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

No, but there’s one that makes other people look good when you use it. It also makes you a good dancer and a smooth talker.

Odysseus on March 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

sharrukin on March 3, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I would agree and they probably had it coming, but somehow a pre-teen girl running around kicking multiple boys in the gonads does make it seem like she might have some issues herself…

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I’m glad you stuck up for them. It’s your methods that make me cringe (but I’m guessing you would have to be a guy to understand). :)

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Bishop on March 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Already exists: Biohazard.

squint on March 3, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Brilliant.

RedNewEnglander on March 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM

petefrt on March 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Yes! This and term limits too. We need to find ways to make these people a little less comfy and cozy in their seats of inscrutable power.

squint on March 3, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I would submit that we are already there.

How many people read, with concern, and make buying decisions based upon the California Cancer disclaimer? Anybody? If so, I would venture to say you have a very empty house and are pretty much incapable of accomplishing everyday chores because according to the state of California, everything and every product contains substances known only to the state of California to cause cancer.

Ever read a ladder? Do you pay attention to all the warnings on it? If so, you are just as well off with a step stool as that is about as far up on the ladder you are supposed to go according to the warnings. [OK, that was a bit of hyperbole, but only by a little bit]

When you buy a product, do you read the 15 pages of warnings and cautions before you get to the two pages of actual operating or setup instructions?

We are way past warning overload.

AZfederalist on March 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

First they came for the hot babes…..

tommer74 on March 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM

That didn’t make quote of the day, so may I nominate it for quote of the week? ^^

EternalMalachi on March 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM

What’s funny about whinging on photoshopping of the Upton swimsuit cover is that they apparently left in or ADDED pubic hairs above the barely-there bottoms.

rayra on March 4, 2012 at 2:14 AM

There isn’t a single product that can “make you look perfect”? Damn!

Marcus on March 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM

There is one product that can make someone else look “perfect.”

It’s alcohol.

BigAlSouth on March 4, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I’m actually a tiny sympathetic to the airbrush ordeal.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Pics or it didn’t happen! (Airbrushed is okay, by the way)

fossten on March 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I strongly support legislation that promotes truth in advertising. Warnings for doctored photos is a good start. It’s deception to get someone’s money (AKA: theft), and that should be illegal.

Now if Katie Hobbs wants any published doctored photos to include a warning label, including those that are not used to sell products or services, THAT’s a path to tyranny.

elfman on March 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

TigerPaw on March 3, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I teach HS science.
So I see this everyday.
I hate to break this to everyone thinking this kind of stuff might be a good idea, but:
The Federal Government is not here to make you feel better about yourself.
This is what your brain is for, your parents, your community and society is for.

No law is going to stop teenagers from fixating on their appearance.
It’s what they do.
Then they grow up & realize the world is not about them & that most people could care less if there’s a zit on your forehead.

I went through the same $hit as a teenaged girl.
I had enough sense to realize those women on TV & in mags were not really like that.
I spend a lot of time in my biology class discussing genetics & body types & reality. I do it with videos & discussions regarding genetics.
And they still fixate.
You cannot stop it.

Badger40 on March 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

elfman on March 4, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I do hope you’re kidding.
Based on that last part of your comment, I will bet that you are.
Bcs if not, then it’s pretty sad you think the Govt needs to protect people from their own stupidity.

Badger40 on March 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

di butler on March 3, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Bunsin2 on March 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

At least half the guys I had to deal with in school needed to be groin-kicked. Repeatedly. As a skinny guy, retribution would probably have taken my butt out, but I still wish I had the courage to do it back then.

S. D. on March 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

ernesto on March 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Arizona State University is babe city!
All those daddies sending their little girls to the nation’s premiere party school.
Most male students didn’t mind at all.
(*grin*)
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

How about a disclaimer before Obamba makes an appearance that says “this is not a real president, just moron organ grinder’s pet pretending to be president”.

rjulio on March 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM