Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on March 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama wants you to know he’s cooler than you. No, really. Did you just catch Lin-sanity?  Obama tells Bill Simmons for his ESPN podcast that he heard about Jeremy Lin way before the rest of us did:

The nation’s best-known basketball fan — President Obama — says he heard about Jeremy Lin “way back when.”

“I knew about Jeremy before you did, or everybody else did,” Obama told Bill Simmons, the sports columnist and founder of the ESPN-affiliated website Grantland.com

The reason, Obama said on a Simmons podcast: Education Secretary Arne Duncan, who like Lin played college hoops at Harvard.

“And so way back when, Arne and I were playing and he said, ‘I’m telling you, we’ve got this terrific guard named Jeremy Lin at Harvard,’” Obama said. “And then one of my best friends — his son is a freshman at Harvard — and so when he went for a recruiting trip he saw Lin in action.”

“So I’ve been on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for a while.”

But that’s not the only way Obama told Simmons that he’s so cool you could store a side of beef in him for a month, and so hip that he has difficulty seeing over his own pelvis.  Catch the start of the interview at the link, when Simmons asks Obama whether this is his first podcast:

SIMMONS: This your first podcast?

OBAMA: Well, I used to have my own podcast.

SIMMONS: What?

OBAMA: When I was a US Senator, I was way ahead of the curve on the podcast thing.

Maybe he was way ahead of the curve for US Senators, but Obama first came to the Senate in 2005.  He didn’t start podcasting until 2006, and only ever produced 15 podcasts for download (which are still accessible here), the first four of which were just recordings of dialogue at committee hearings or public events.  By 2006, most radio broadcasters had been producing podcasts for a long time; our own Northern Alliance Radio Network had been posting podcasts of our shows on Townhall since the show’s early days in 2004.

Ben Smith at BuzzFeed has fun with Obama’s claim to have been an early adopter of Linsanity, skewering him as Hipster Obama:

And what’s the name of Simmons’ video podcast series?  The BS Report.  I’d call that an apt description.  It sounds a little like this classic moment from Obama’s sports expertise:

Obama to Dibble on why he wore a White Sox fan to throw out the first pitch in Washington: “I’m a Southside kid, I gotta make sure (White Sox owner) Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t get to angry with me.

Dibble: “Having played with the White Sox for a short time, I know how the Cubs fans and White Sox fans go back and forth. Who was one of your favorite White Sox players growing up?

Obama: “You know uh ….. I … I thought that … uh …. you know … the truth is a lot of the Cubs I like too! But, uh … I did not become a Sox fan until I moved to Chicago. Because I uh …. I was growing up in Hawaii so I ended up actually being an Oakland A’s fan.

Comments

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Blah

antisocial on March 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Kool moe D in da house

He sounds like he is in the ninth grade
If you say you did this, he’s already done it and even better

Idiot

cmsinaz on March 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Ed, are you going to do a post about Sheriff Arpaio’s news conference yesterday?

What was one of Andrew Breitbart’s final interviews (if not THE final interview of his career)?

It was an interview of Sheriff Joe Arpaio on February 29th, the day before Sheriff Arpaio’s March 1st news conference with members of his “Cold Case Posse”.

Andrew Breitbart was interested in the information that sheriff Joe Arpaio shared yesterday. And I think that Andrew would want that information broadcast as far and wide as possible.

A fraudulent electronic “document” was posted on the White House web site, and claimed to be legitimate by the President of the United States.

This is bigger than Watergate.

Yet so far, you, Allahpundit, and Michelle Malkin have completely ignored it.

Honestly, is that what Andrew Breitbart would have wanted?

ITguy on March 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Poser.

Dee2008 on March 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I understand that when he lived in Chicago, he claimed he could purify all the water in Lake Michigan by peeing in it.

radjah shelduck on March 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

No, Obama was first.

forest on March 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

This Presidential radio address thingy? He was way ahead of the curve on that one too. And the televised press conferences? Way, way ahead of the curve. And slapping his name on books that were ghost written by domestic terrorists? Way, way, WAY ahead of the curve.

In fact, our benevolant god-king is so ahead of the curve he’s circled around and is actually behind it!

crazy_legs on March 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Forest, winner!

cmsinaz on March 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Anything you can do, I can do better;
I can do anything better than you . . . .

Pathological narcissism.
It would almost be funny, if this fool were not in a position of such great power, and using it to do such enormous damage to this nation.

AZCoyote on March 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

What a chump.

We all have had friends like that. You go on a trip, their trip was first-class and a week longer. You buy a new car, they get the one with all the upgrades. Always have to do it better and earlier.

Those people don’t have true friends very long. The one-upsmanship gets tedious and boring for those who hang around them.

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

The thought of four plus more years of this is beyond depressing and Im not sure I can take it:(

ldbgcoleman on March 2, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Well, Algore still invented the internet first!

Oldnuke on March 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Anything you can do, I can do better;
I can do anything better than you . . . .

Pathological narcissism.

AZCoyote on March 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Agree completely. He’s so used to distorting the truth and outright lying that he does it routinely, even for silly things no one else would ever care about.

jwolf on March 2, 2012 at 8:29 AM

He was exposed as a liar with his Cominskey Field remark. People may be ignorant enough to call Comiskey Park, Cominskey Park, but nobody anywhere near Chicago says Cominskey Field.

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Classic Me Monstering.

jodisue on March 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Ah hah, perhaps Breitbart’s final vid is of Oblamer strolling hand in hand with Jeremy..

hillsoftx on March 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Well, what did we expect when “we” elected a rock star?

mel23059 on March 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

No, Obama was first.

forest on March 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

And, ^^^ this is why I come to HA. Thanks for the giggle after such a horrendous day yesterday.

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM

LOL !!! This is such fun! We have a lot of liberals inhabiting the halls of Hot Gas that are the same way. Just this week I was told by one of our liberal denizens that he has a degree in “Computer Engineering” and, in the next sentence wrote “I probably make more money than you do.” The liberal whose initials are liberal4life doesn’t even know me!
I was once told by another of our liberal “sages who deign to visit,” Bleeds Blue, that his wife/partner/significant other was “hotter than any woman that you have ever been with!” Again, he didn’t know me!
This is a pattern among narcissists and people with low self esteem. They have to elevate themselves at the expense of anyone else; they judge the company they keep as less than estimable. Otherwise why would they be spending time with the defective narcissist? “Anybody who has me as a friend talk show guest can’t be all that talented or smart or informed. You’ve reached the bottom of the barrel with me and I know it!” Yeah, a person like this needs to be in control of the largest stockpile of nuclear weapons in history; a low self esteem represents the shortest fuse on a ticking time bØmb.
The worst thing is to have a boss or a president like this. It’s like always walking on eggs, listening to the constant self-promotion and self-aggrandizement at the expense of the self-esteem and dignity of others. These types are always just a little better than the rest of us and they don’t mind letting us know it!
LOL! Airball Øbama! He shoots! He floors!

ExpressoBold on March 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Sporty Spice

ted c on March 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Anything you can do, I can do better;
I can do anything better than you . . . .

Pathological narcissism.

AZCoyote on March 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

You forgot the YouTube to go with it.

AH_C on March 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Classic narcissism on parade. They’ve always got to have one up on you – it’s eerie to watch in action.

Southgirl on March 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM

He’s a real sports genius. He used to watch ball games at “Kominsky Field,” and I think he also likes the “Litally Lions” of Penn State.

Schwalbe Me-262 on March 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM

his bulls*^t is so thick I wonder how he breaths.

NOVOTE4OBAMA, never evah.

losarkos on March 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Well, Algore still invented the internet first!

Oldnuke on March 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM

But “I Won” invented the keyboard and monitor.

So there!

GrannyDee on March 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Good to know how intelligent our Democratic politicians are. Gore invented the internet and Obama invented the podcast.

djaymick on March 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Haha. Perfect description Ed. Btw–why is Obama setting aside time for a lengthy interview with a sport’s guy?!

Obama is a legend in his own mind.

conservative pilgrim on March 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

How I wish I never had to hear the name “Barack Obama”. Ever.

NoDonkey on March 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Dude?

MNHawk on March 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 8:10 AM

This is not some teenybop, leftist idiot site. This ‘First’ crap is not appreciated.

\banhammer

Squiggy on March 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

“ I’ve been on the Jeremy Lin bandwagon for a while.”

So?

lynncgb on March 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Squiggy on March 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Did you not see the irony? I did.

CurtZHP on March 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

CurtZHP on March 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I thought the same thing that Squiggy thought, “what a childist moron”, but then the irony (baracky) thing set in, and I had a good laugh.

DuctTapeMyBrain on March 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Dear Liar knew about Lin before Lin’s mom gave birth.

rbj on March 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I was for Linsanity before I was against it

LordDaMan on March 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM

No, Obama was first.

forest on March 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM

True, but I couldn’t resist.

Gladtobehere on March 2, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Bet if someone asked him, he was the first to step on the Moon, too.

Kissmygrits on March 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM

So?

lynncgb on March 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I see what you did. :)

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I was growing up in Hawaii so I ended up actually being an Oakland A’s fan.”

Was he an A’s fan starting at birth? Because regardless of the birth certificate non story, it seems to be pretty well documented that he didn’t grow up there. So we’ve got an Obummer inside an Obummer.

Do they have baseball in Kenya?

EconomicNeocon on March 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Update: Ed Morrissey has weighed in… I may not agree with his perspective on this issue, but I respect him for at least acknowledging the press conference and the conclusions of Sheriff Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse:

Arpaio: Obama birth certificate is a fraud
posted at 9:15 am on March 2, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

ITguy on March 2, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

:-)

lynncgb on March 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

He’d make outrageous claims like he “invented the question mark”.

Sometimes he accused chestnuts of being lazy.

Tim_CA on March 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

We all know this man is a narcissistic, thin-skinned, incompetent liar, but honestly, did we really know he was this immature?

toby11 on March 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I’m hoping the fan involved was a lib…

Oxymoron on March 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Happy Gilmore – You Think You’re Better Than Me?!

StewartIII on March 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

He’d make outrageous claims like he “invented the question mark”.

Sometimes he accused chestnuts of being lazy.

Tim_CA on March 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM

You know, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament

StompUDead on March 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

so hip that he has difficulty seeing over his own pelvis

It’s not because he is so hip. The problem is the result of where his head is stuck.

manyears on March 2, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I think I am going to puke for the third time today.

FerdtheMoonCat on March 2, 2012 at 8:03 PM

This is bigger than Watergate.

Yet so far, you, Allahpundit, and Michelle Malkin have completely ignored it.

Honestly, is that what Andrew Breitbart would have wanted?

ITguy on March 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I have noticed the same thing and wondering why the seemingly lack of notice by most news sources. To me this should have been front page that news.

Franklyn on March 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You left off another part of Obama’s baseball gaffe, where he said -

“But, when I moved to Chicago, I was livin’ close to what was then Kaminsky Park, right?”

As well as sounding as if he was making the whole thing up on the spot, Obama mispronounced the name of one of the most famous ballparks in the world – Comiskey Park.

JohnK625 on March 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

You left off another part of Obama’s baseball gaffe, where he said -

JohnK625 on March 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

That first pitch in his mom jeans was a winner.

Obowma said this just two years ago:

Which was another lie as photos of him playing golf with an iPod on his belt was out a few years prior.

dthorny on March 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM