As many as five U.S. troops may be reprimanded for Koran-burning in Afghanistan

posted at 6:10 pm on March 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

No, the riots aren’t over. They’re just resting until the next phase, when the military gently informs Afghan parliamentarians and clerics that accidental Koran-burning doesn’t warrant beheading by scimitar under the UCMJ.

“What they did was careless, but there was no ill will,” said one U.S. military official…

But U.S. military officials expressed concern Friday that the investigation’s finding — which stops short of pinning blame on malevolent soldiers — might not satisfy Afghan leaders who have demanded harsh retribution…

“For the soldiers, it will be serious — they could lose rank. But you’re not going to see the kind of public trial that some here seem to want,” said another U.S. military official…

“There’s a real concern there. We don’t know what the investigation will say, or how the public will react,” the U.S. military official said. “But we know that there’s a real interest in trying guilty parties in an Afghan court, and that’s not something we’re prepared to do.”

But … what about all the apologies? Over to you, CNN:

The burning of the Muslim holy book by U.S. forces at an Afghan prison is unforgivable, a powerful council of Muslim scholars said Friday. It demanded that foreign forces turn over control of prisoners to Afghanistan’s government.

In a statement released through President Hamid Karzai’s office, the Ulema Council said the incident occurred because of “illegal management” of the prison.

“The representatives of the Ulema Council also said that the unforgivable and inhuman action of American forces in Bagram is something that could not be forgiven and an apology is not enough. The criminals of this action should be openly prosecuted and punished as soon as possible,” according to the statement.

Maybe that’s their way of bargaining, i.e. “we can never, ever forgive this insult, although handing over control of Bagram’s prison might help us forget.” The prison’s been a sore spot between NATO and Karzai for months, with NATO continually backsliding on timetables to hand it over, partly due to fears that the Afghans will be too rough with some prisoners and no doubt partly due to fears that they won’t be able, or willing, to secure others. The latest deadline issued by Karzai to hand it over is March 9. If things go haywire again next week, maybe O will decide it’s worth paying the danegeld and granting his wish — once any high-level detainees have been moved to another NATO facility. Hopefully.

Question for any military lawyers out there: Which provisions of the UCMJ are likely to come into play here? Under normal circumstances I assume this would warrant nonjudicial punishment under Article 15 but the Pentagon will be under pressure to put on a show for the locals, so we might see a full court-martial. Under which provisions? I assume it’ll be either dereliction of duty under Article 92 or the catch-all “don’t do anything embarrassing” provision under Article 134. Anything else? Exit quotation from retired Col. Peter Mansoor, former executive officer to David Petraeus: “If it’s not a true partnership, then why should we sacrifice American blood and treasure?… Americans have cultural sensitivities, too. Maybe we’re so sensitive to Afghan culture that we’re forgetting our own.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Badge of Honors!!!

simon on March 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Military show trials for the seething Muslims. America is gone.

Rational Thought on March 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

So what are we doing in that human wasteland again?

sharrukin on March 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Right on, and we will moving on that just as soon as you round up every inbred savage in Afghanistan who has tipped a wall over on a woman, sewed a teenage girl’s genitals shut, thrown acid in a female’s face, and executed a helpless prisoner and hand them over to us for prosecution and punishment.

Eff off.

Bishop on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

In my head, I like to imagine Andrew Breitbart tweeting at Karzai:

Apologize for WHAT?

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The Administration is who should be reprimanded. Scape goats of the soldiers now.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Lemme fix that…

Badges of Honor!!!

simon on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

In my head, I like to imagine Andrew Breitbart tweeting at Karzai:

Apologize for WHAT?

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

These soldiers did this on their own or were ordred to it? If ordered, by whom?

jb34461 on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

lol, Madcon what is happening to the comments today? I feel like I’m time traveling.

Woooo, I answer your comments before you make them.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I keep looking back to WWll for reference on how much we cherished and protected the Nazi’s cultural sensitivities. I believe our standard winning response was “stuff it”.

I’m totally at a loss as to why we give a tinkers damn about what any of them think in the first place.

HotAirian on March 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

These barbarians are not worth our sacrifices.

Rose on March 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

If I say I’m going to riot if they punish those guys, do you think the authorities would reconsider? Seems to be how they make decisions.

forest on March 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Why even try to appease people worse than nazis?

the_nile on March 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Leon Panetta was just at Fort Campbell cheering on the troops saying these “killings were isolated”.

Bullsh!t. Bring our soldiers home yesterday.

JPeterman on March 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Aren’t Muslim governments grand?! And just think, that is what Obama is letting more and more come into the USA. More sharia law.

mydh12 on March 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

So are the prisoners, who originally desecrated the Korans in question, also to be given the death sentence?

Grunt on March 2, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Yes, let’s keep rebuilding this craphole.

mythicknight on March 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I am trying to post in another time and space…

d1carter on March 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Just get us out of that hell hole and let them butcher themselves like the savages they are.

thphilli on March 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The Koran says that Islam’s hostility towards the Jews is eternal. They kill infidels. I don’t know all the details of this, but what’s all this talk of apologies?

apocalypse on March 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

to them i offer my middle finger. sit and spin.

GhoulAid on March 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I am totally blown away by this reaction. We’re supposed to punish military members for burning a religious book because the Afghans decided it was time to go nuts?

I fully support(ed) our decision to roll through that country. It was necessary to break the free reign of a terrorist organization that did this country harm. Iraq taught us, however, that nation building in a Muslim country isn’t the same as it was in Germany and Japan. We cannot expect to change a culture that has existed in its current state for about 1,000 years. At least not quickly. Certainly not within the short time period (in comparison) we have been in that country.

Its time we leave. We could be there for 20 years or 30 years and in the end the country would implode once we left. Our men and women are being sacrificed to protect Afghans that, clearly, will put a bullet in their head the moment they do something that offends the Islamic faith.

Bring the military service people home who are being accused, tell Afghanistan to get bent and head home.

Flashwing on March 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I suggest we burn all Qurans that we can find in that God forsaken sh!thole. To make sure we don’t miss a copy, do it from the orbit. there’s nothing wrong in Quran that a few 10 megaton charges cnanot fix.

Archivarix on March 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM

The Koran says that Islam’s hostility towards the Jews is eternal. They kill infidels. I don’t know all the details of this Koran-burning, but what’s all this talk of apology?

apocalypse on March 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

The freaks and animals needs to be told to behave themselves.

Christien on March 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I like it! Scribble apologies on each of five warheads and launch. Comedy gold.

I keed, I keed. Just keep wasting blood and treasure, paying bribes, building schools and hospitals for enemies, and teach all the peoples of the world to despise the Americans, like we are doing now. Next question.

kunegetikos on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Mark this as the date we officially lost Afghanistan.

Time to leave.

WisCon on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

From the comments at a Slate bend over and take it from the Muslims article:

If you are not a Muslim, you don’t have to obey Islamic rules. Therefore, you are free to dispose of Korans as you wish (subject perhaps to the laws of the jurisdiction you’re in at the time). When people pressure you to conform to their views, they are attempting a power play, and you might sacrifice your freedom by complying.

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Just 1 bomb is all it would take to command respect/fear. Why don’t we do it?

nobar on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Woooo, I answer your comments before you make them.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I thought it was the shrooms, but this freaky s**t has been going on since last night. The server migration is not going smoothly.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Enough. Time to come home. When you can’t burn spy info that the Taliban has defaced a Koran with…..well….it’s time to come home. These are not rational people.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

repugnant.

ladyingray on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Scape goats. That’s all they are and Obama is playing politics with our military. Super. //////////////////////

conservative pilgrim on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Mark this as the date we officially lost Afghanistan.

Time to leave.

WisCon on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Sadly…agreed.

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It’s so much fun reading the comments from the bottom up///

JPeterman on March 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

s/b need

Christien on March 2, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I’m going out to buy a Koran just to piss on it.

MJBrutus on March 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Ridiculous.

Any commander that signs their name to a punishment is an embarrassment to the force.

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

These are not rational people.

Street Muslims or administration and military officials.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

At this point, how hard would it be to prevent any kind of Al Qaeda sanctuaries in Afghanistan if we tell them to get screwed and pull out? Wouldn’t we need airfields and bases for special forces in bordering countries? I know we have some bases in other Central Asian countries, but I don’t know if we can depend on those always being around. I would tell the Afghans to get f*cked immediately if I knew we could take care of any terrorist threat coming from within the country.

Mark1971 on March 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Dont they burn every bible the find in Saudi Arabia?

the_nile on March 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

BS. All of it. There should be NO punishment. At the very VERY worst, they should get a 4856 explaining why they should be careful to not let it happen again. And that’s pushing it! As an 8 year (and still serving) Army infantry vet, I can’t help but think of incidents I have been involved with in past deployments that may have created such an outcry by these crazies. Understand, I have never done anything in war that I would be ashamed to let my God see. However, there have been instances where cultural sensitivites took a backseat to the mission at hand. What could have happened to me for doing my job? Where would I be today if the crazies would have found out what I did? If my own CiC apologized for what I did? Add this to the drawdown of troop numbers, the hike in tricare, and the slashing of combat pay, and I just don’t see any reason to continue my service. If this man wins in November, I will more than likely ets. I can’t trust my boss.

mfrantom on March 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’m going out to buy a Koran just to piss on it.

MJBrutus on March 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I’ve got a video camera…..you willing? some modesty required, of course. Andy Warhaul would be proud if it was a bible…heck…art museums would stand in line to display it.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Military Political show trials for the seething Muslims and their liberal sponsors. America is gone.

Rational Thought on March 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

“Uh…but Lieutenant, you said to burn them.”

Jaibones on March 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

God bless our military under bho and his(brass) who thinks burning a book is worthy of you men and women ever serving under this slime again. You, American’s finest are going under the bus to make bho look and feel good. My heart aches so much for you men and women, I can’t stand it.
Too bad we don’t have a president with one single ounce of testosteron to stand by you!
L

letget on March 2, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Remember this the next time a President is rushing to get us into a war.

Politricks on March 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Discover secret enemy messages. Destroy secret enemy messages. Lose rank.

Winning!

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

From what I’ve read, they were burned because prisoners had written in coded language plots to do nefarious things–don’t know what those were as the media keeps trumpeting, “They burned the Koran! OMG! They burned some Korans!”

The part about WHY they were burned is at least interesting if not downright CRITICAL to the story, so why do they not at least include that part in their reporting?

It’s probably a rhetorical question, but it makes me mad every time I read about it. “YOU IDIOT! They were plotting all kinds of things in those things. So, you’re saying you would rather have a coordinated attack on our soldiers than dispose of the method to do so?” We don’t lose the war because we can’t win. We lose because we’re idiots who don’t fight to win. (Not the military… the bureaucrats!)

UnderstandingisPower on March 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

This is where apologizing and groveling always lead. These punks are like any animal that smells blood; the recognize the weakness and fear in Barry Hussein Soetoro/Obama, and they’re going to do whatever they can to take advantage of it.

Pray for our soldiers, and pray that U.S. voters will have enough sense to boot The Appeaser-in-Chief in November.

AZCoyote on March 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Weren’t the korans already desicrated as a result of being written all over? Or is that too rational a thought process for the Afghans?

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Why apologize to those backward savages? It just justifies their acting out. Psychologically its no different than appeasing the OWS tribal idiots. When they aren’t put down and put down hard, they just stand taller.
Disgusting.

Mimzey on March 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Allah,

I doubt the military wants a courts-martial. The defendant gets representation and those who gave the order will be exposed. As I posted in the headline thread the troops in question didn’t do this without instructions from somewhere.

This situation is a disgrace. Our government and our military leaders are treating our soldiers with shameful disrespect. Nothing new for the libs.

These savages have murdered how many soldiers now?

dogsoldier on March 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I’ve got a video camera…..you willing? (S)ome modesty required, of course. Andy Warhaul would be proud if it was a bible…heck…art museums would stand in line to display it.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM

You could probably get a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts if you chose to pissurinate on the bible and show respect to the Koran.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

If we could provide phones to the prisoners, they would not have to desecrate their Korans…

d1carter on March 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM

MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM

No, it’s me, woooo!

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Fox just reported the five soldiers have been moved out of Afghanistan to protect their lives…

d1carter on March 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Yes and apparently so.

dogsoldier on March 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Remember this the next time a President is rushing to get us into a war.

Politricks on March 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

9-11………………..taliban…iraq..very slow…very deliberate. Pick up a history book and compare.

Libya…not so much. How many troops does Gandhi have in Ahfrika now? For what purpose?

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

The original response should have been:
“Korans desecrated by MUSLIM PRISONERS were destroyed. MUSLIM PRISONERS will be given sensitivity training on the care and handling of their “holy books.”

NO APOLOGY WAS NECESSARY!

Obama is the worst President EVER!

IslandLibertarian on March 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Bible prophecy fulfilled… Arab Muslim = WILD MAN

apocalypse on March 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Ridiculous.

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If they’re identified by name, they’re lives won’t be worth a nickel.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Dont they burn every bible the find in Saudi Arabia?

the_nile on March 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM

They burn down Christian churches in Egypt and Ethiopia.

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

In my head, I like to imagine Andrew Breitbart tweeting at Karzai:
Apologize for WHAT?
MadisonConservative on March 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

You know, Madison, the Breitbart quote that comes to my mind is the one at the end of the “Hating Breitbart” movie trailer from last month:

****. You.

Here we have a war we could easily and decisively win with the push of a single button – literally – but we are led by a Commander-in-Chief that paradoxically called Afghanistan the “good war” yet cannot bring himself to use the word “victory” in his rhetoric.

Just watch, Obama will throw those soldiers to the wolves.

turfmann on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Maybe that slut and her Georgetown friends can go over there and calm those goat lovers down.

SouthernGent on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

So what are we doing in that human wasteland again?

sharrukin on March 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Good question. We should pull our people out of there and turn the place into glass. Problem solved.

chewmeister on March 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

And Iraq.

dogsoldier on March 2, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Make them pull extra details… Helping to hunt down all the rioters and murderers.

They’re the ones who caused the extra work in the first place. So it’s only fair that they help out with it.

logis on March 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

If they’re identified by name, they’re lives won’t be worth a nickel.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Can you even imagine being in a unit with a commander that would toss his soldiers on the sacrificial alter for basically destroying secret enemy messages?

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Time to bug out.

SlaveDog on March 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

A

H U G E

W A S T E

O F

T I M E

A N D

A

H U G E

L O S S

O F

F A C E.

They’re gonna kill, rape, and pillage — no matter. It’s what they do.

hillbillyjim on March 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Obama is the president who diminished the U.S.A., in all regards.

Schadenfreude on March 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

An Article 15. No freaking way should they get that.

In an otherwise exemplary military career I made the mistake of not reporting in on the one day I had off between Basic Electronics and Tech Controller School in 1981 at Keesler, AFB. That ‘crime’ got me a letter of reprimand. That ‘crime’ was far worse then anything these guys did.

Someone said it earlier but if they are given any punishment we should riot and show this appeaser in chief that his actions have consequences at home too.

Inignort on March 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM

d1carter on March 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I can only imagine that’s a heavy load for them, knowing they can’t help protect their brothers still in harm’s way due to this nonsense.

Christien on March 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM

What if it were Bibles that had been burned ??? Any outrage then Ocommie??

FlaMurph on March 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

This country, and its leadership, are insane. Add to the above news the revelation that the DOD just spent 750k to build a soccer field for the campers at Club Gitmo.

Insane. Just implode it and start over.

james23 on March 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Mark this as the date we officially lost Afghanistan.

Hate to have to admit it, but like all American deficit spending, bloom of youth destroying, humiliating, self-defeating kinetic actions abroad, this was lost before it started, like every other venture. There is no will to win.

kunegetikos on March 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Dont they burn every bible the find in Saudi Arabia?
the_nile on March 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM
They burn down Christian churches in Egypt and Ethiopia.
Fallon on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

And in some instances with the Christians still in them. Not that the more radical elements of Islam are wont to do the same thing to Muslims when it serves their purposes.

turfmann on March 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Despicable.

Time to get out of there. These followers of this barbaric, “peaceful” religion are not worth one more drop of American blood.

Hawkins1701 on March 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Insane. Just implode it and start over.

james23 on March 2, 2012 at 6:43 PM

A dirt soccer field for $750K at that. Obv union labor.

Inignort on March 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

It’s things/times like this that could make one inclined to packing up all our toys, fire bombing any physical plant we built, ship all our troops oit and tell the Afghani to blow it out their ear. Maybe we need to just accept that all our troops and money was just wasted trying to help heathens – let them kill each other.

katiejane on March 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Interesting that these five soldiers will be rushed to judgement…

… while Major Hasan is still cooling his heels waiting for trial.

Seven Percent Solution on March 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM

SouthernGent on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Nope….wrong sex.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Congratulations, USA.

The Resolute Desk on March 2, 2012 at 6:51 PM

SouthernGent on March 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Nope….wrong sex.
oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Wrong species, I think you meant to say.

turfmann on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Despicable.

Hawkins1701 on March 2, 2012 at 6:46 PM

That’s part of the problem. Islam isn’t a religion. It’s a political movement that’s treated as a religion.

chewmeister on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I think we should get all our people out of there altogether. Then I wish the next President would go to the UN and give a speech saying that if there are any more terror attacks on the US or its’ allies, we will nuke Mecca. If they do it again, Medina. Tell them to police their own savages and blame them if anything happens to their holy places. Leave them to their “Arab Spring” and let them all kill each other.

Night Owl on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

This is a disgrace and a total lack of respect for our military men and women!!!

Zcat on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:34 PM

BadgerHawk on March 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM

No. But I couldn’t imagine the Administration I served under changing the ROE to the point of benefiting the enemy either though.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Forget Korans. Let’s send them more Afghan Army uniforms. They can shoot each other in the back after we’re gone.

Christien on March 2, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Wrong species, I think you meant to say.

turfmann on March 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Nope…again….in Islam, it’s perfectly OK to have sex with your to keep your urges in check.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I hope everyone is calling Washington as letting them know how outraged we are that over the sheer idea of our military men and women would dare be punished over this!!!

What people fail to realize is muslims are Obama’s people!!! All you have to do is look at his policies, and the fact his father was a muslim, his fathers-father was a muslim on and on! Obama is the enemy of our military men and womens, as well as, each and every American!!! Obama is the ememy within.

Zcat on March 2, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Nope…again….in Islam, it’s perfectly OK to have sex (with your male buddy) with your to keep your urges in check.

Sorry….just too angry to preview.

oldroy on March 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM

We should have gotten that preacher from a year or two ago to burn them. He would gladly do it so our soldiers wouldn’t have to.

tommer74 on March 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Isn’t this Obama’s Abu Guraib and shouldn’t the media be slamming him for the conduct of his troops?

The power of “D”.

fogw on March 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM

OK, this makes sooo much sense, prosecute soldiers for burning some books while Holder and Obie walk around free. This probably makes sense to half the ppl in America, that’s the sick part.

angrymike on March 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM

heh…. a “powerful council” of Muslim scholars…that’s rich. Hey fellas, while ya’ll are at it, why don’t you get to work on that Muslim self-esteem issue that NASA felt compelled to pick up the torch for, eh?

ted c on March 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM

One hundred years from now ppl will look back in history and say……” What the f#%k were those ppl thinking, the enemy in the highest office in the world” I really wish I wasn’t part of that history!

angrymike on March 2, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I sure hope someone advises these soldiers to DEMAND a court martial. They can convene NJP proceedings – it makes it “easier” – but these soldiers should exercise their RIGHT to trial by court martial. It will just show to all how absolutely ridiculous this sh*t really is.

Even if they “lose” the court martial trial, the actual punishment won’t be (it could be, but won’t be) any worse than the NJP.

Not all commanders today are ball-less. I hope.

Hueydriver on March 2, 2012 at 7:12 PM

This makes my heart heart. If these soldiers are punished reenlistments should come to a halt. How could any soldier, Marine, etc…want to belong to a military where CIC is not looking out for them. Shame on Obama and the lily white coward generals he has working for him.

formerwm on March 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM