The Ed Morrissey Show: Remembering Andrew

posted at 1:30 pm on March 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Today on The Ed Morrissey Show (3 pm ET), we’ll take the entire show to discuss the passing of a friend, a leader, and a pioneer in conservative media, Andrew Breitbart.  Our friends Kerry Picket and Steven Crowder will join me in their regular appearances, and in bonus minutes we’ll speak with Joel Pollak, editor-in-chief and in-house counsel for Breitbart.com, about Andrew’s impact and what lies ahead.

The Ed Morrissey Show and its dynamic chatroom can be seen on the permanent TEMS page — be sure to join us, and don’t forget to keep up with the debate on my Facebook page, too!

Video streaming by Ustream

Marizela Perez has been missing in the Seattle area for almost a year now. Marizela’s case has a connection here at Hot Air, as she is the cousin of the Boss Emeritus, Michelle Malkin. Michelle is trying to spread the word through Facebook and Q13Fox/KCPQ in Seattle. We want to encourage prayers for Marizela’s family, and also try to reach anyone in the area who knows where Marizela might be and ask them to contact the police.

The search has its own website now, Find Marizela, for the latest in the efforts to bring Marizela home. There is also a fund for the family to keep the search efforts going. Be sure to check there and at Michelle’s site for further developments, and keep the family in your prayers.

America’s Most Wanted is now on the case, too.

Michelle has an update on the case:

The circumstances of our dilemma remain the same. While the case remains open, the Seattle police are for all practical purposes treating it as a closed and shut case. They will not share the information they obtained from the limited Google subpoena — which our family pushed for in the first place. If we had access to that information, we could continue the search for Marizela on our own that the SPD has neither the time, resources, or inclination to pursue.

We have not heard back from Google.

As we’ve noted since the day of her disappearance, she was taking anti-depressants at the time of her disappearance. The daunting possibility that she took her life, and the signs that cannot be ignored, still weighs heavily on our minds — as do all the other frightening possibilities as her case remains unsolved and unresolved. I’ve urged you before to support volunteer groups that provide hope and solace for those in need. To honor Marizela, I ask again that you do so if you are able.

Thank you for all your continued thoughts and prayers.

Keep the prayers coming.

Comments

I can’t accept it yet!
He was my ‘NO FEAR’ guy.

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

This is absolutely devastating news. I am shocked beyond measure. too, too young. We’ve lost one of our most important leaders before his work was fairly begun.

Warner Todd Huston on March 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I hope I don’t sound ghoulish, but I’m wondering, if it’s not too early: Ed, do you know anything about Breitbart’s arrangements for who takes over his work? Who’s in charge of the “big” websites now, and who will continue whatever undercover projects AB had in the works?

jwolf on March 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

There will be others to stand in the gap. I imagine his work will continue.

I hope he’s truly in and at peace right now.

I hope he had found something far more important than conservatism or this nation before he died.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

BOY, Andrew would have loved to be retweeting all the invective the left is putting on twitter today….

originalpechanga on March 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Say what you want, I question the timing…There is much more riding on this next election than just the Presidency…The Supreme Court for instance. And we’re dealing with people that sold guns to Mexican drug cartels in hopes of drumming up anti-gun sympathies after the body count began to build. But maybe being paranoid is just my way of grieving someone I admired…

Even so, RIP conservative warrior.

Battlecruiser-operational on March 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ed can you make a post linking to all of HA’s posts about Andy?

Swerve22 on March 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

So sorry you are gone Andrew…Rest in Peace…

You were a warrior for us all…

You shall be sorely missed…

God Bless you on your new journey!!

Scrumpy on March 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

There will be others to stand in the gap. I imagine his work will continue.

I hope he’s truly in and at peace right now.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I hope so, too.

NextGenerationVoters on March 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

“There are two paths: one is America, the other is Occupy. I will march behind whomever out candidate is. Anyone that is willing to stand next to me to fight the progressive left, I will be in that bunker. And, if you’re not in that bunker because you’re not satisfied with this candidate, more than shame on you. You’re on the other side.”

-Breitbart 2012

The Count on March 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

jwolf on March 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I don’t think it’s ghoulish, I would like to fly my flag the day of his services.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM

The circumstances of our dilemma remain the same. While the case remains open, the Seattle police are for all practical purposes treating it as a closed and shut case. They will not share the information they obtained from the limited Google subpoena — which our family pushed for in the first place. If we had access to that information, we could continue the search for Marizela on our own that the SPD has neither the time, resources, or inclination to pursue.

Is there some legitimate law enforcement reason for this? It would be extremely frustrating.

a capella on March 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM

He was a true and irreplaceable inspiration. RIP good prince – Your courage, passion, and intellect will be remembered.

You improved me and, I dare say, this world at large.

Quetzal on March 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

When Andrew made his speech at CPAC just a few weeks ago, I think I dropped one of those BREAKING NEWS: Andrew Breitbart found dead type posts. You know, because challenging Barry would result in a quick death.

I’m not saying Breitbart was murdered. I don’t think so, actually, since there’s evidence of an ongoing heart condition, but I sure wish I hadn’t tried to go for the funny with that post. RIP Andrew.

Dack Thrombosis on March 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I’m still in denial

blatantblue on March 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

My thoughts go out to his family. It’s heartbreaking and suspicious…. and wether he did pass of natural causes from pushing himself too far, or a casualty of a different sort, he went defending our country for the greater good.

It’s too soon to ask, but I do hope there are multiple copies of the video of Obama he was planning to release.

contrarytopopularbelief on March 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

He was interviewed on Hugh Hewitt last night.

What a loss.

aquaviva on March 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Coincidences, or….Ever notice how people who could destroy the re-election of a d-cRAT socialist president seem to be silenced before the election….
1. Marilyn Monroe had intimate details of her affair with JFK that would have ensured his defeat for re-election. Thanks to the efforts of Robert Kennedy, Marilyn was silenced before the re-election campaign got underway.
2. Vince Foster knew a lot about the scandals of “monica-stain” bill and hillary clinton, including White Water and others. Vince was silenced before the re-election campaign got underway.
3. Andrew Breitbart, who indisputably knew more of the TRUTH about obama than anyone else in the media, was silenced before the re-election campaign got underway.

Think about it, and be afraid, be very afraid.

-Micah Stone

TeaPartyNation on March 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

He was interviewed on Hugh Hewitt last night.

What a loss.

aquaviva on March 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

We are continually shown the finiteness of humanity, that we are not promised tomorrow nor do we know when we will breathe our last.

Sadly such moments of clarity seem to hit us only when someone well known to us or at large passes.

Mr. Breitbart’s passing should cause us to reflect on our own mortality and our future, and less on the future of conservatism and this nation.

Others will take Mr. Breitbart’s place in the polemics, politics and conservatism. No one can stand in your place to make the most important choice in your life.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Ed can you make a post linking to all of HA’s posts about Andy?

Swerve22 on March 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I suggested that in the AM thread, so I’ll second it here.

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Think about it, and be afraid, be very afraid.

-Micah Stone

TeaPartyNation on March 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

This assumes that Mr. Breitbart worked alone and told no one of his plans or information. Considering how he has operated in the past – Acorn – common sense would cause me to err to the belief that Andrew had contingencies in place for the continuance of plans and information, for his businesses and the secrets he wanted to expose.

It’s certainly possible that Mr. Breitbart was intentionally silenced but more likely that there was no foul play. Regardless, I cannot see his death squashing his immediate plans vis-a-vis Obama.

I fully believe we’ll still see the release of whatever interesting videos Andrew had on President Obama come October, and it will be delicious.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I’m rather surprised at how deeply I’m feeling the news of the loss of him today. I find myself with tears in my eyes when I see his photos on different sites. He surely left his mark. His life is an example to us: go down swinging, seek the truth, be fearless. I know he’d want us to honor him by being fearless in our communities. Fearlessness is his legacy.

hoosiermama on March 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Andrew did not work alone. He had a trusted circle of friends.

And given his ethnic heritage (Irish), I think that hemochromatosis (buildup of iron in his internal organs that short circuited his heart) is the most likely explanation for why this happened.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

originalpechanga on March 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

..in fairness, the Huffpost comments have been remarkably kind and respectful. (At least that was the case at 0930 PST.)

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Frum, true to form, is p*ssing all over Breitbart. The man is despicable.

As to Marizela — I would be looking for the disappearances of other young women in the Northwest. A break in one case may lead to a break in another.

Blake on March 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

They’d better be. Without Andrew Breitbart, there would be no HuffPo, and I’m sure the HuffPosters know it.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

hoosiermama on March 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

..me as well. You want to really tear up, watch his CPAC Speech. I am sorry for the boastful, cheap blog-whoring link on thissad occasion; it was the most convenient at hand.

That said, yours are wonderful sentiments, Ms Hoosier.

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Excuse my lateness, but…

WHAT???!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 1, 2012 at 2:38 PM

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I did so after I got the news–I just had to watch it again. You’re so right: It’ll make you laugh; it’ll make you cry.

hoosiermama on March 1, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That said, yours are wonderful sentiments, Ms Hoosier.

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Your boastful and cheap blog whoring is forgiven on this occasion. The content is good, and we all have other stuff on our minds right now aside from where a link leads.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I’ve been reading that term thrown around here today. First I’ve heard of it.

I’ve got a wee bit of Irish in me, but I’m more likely to die of something else – even if related to the heart. I’m more French than anything else.

C’est la vie.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I am sorry for the boastful, cheap blog-whoring link on this sad occasion; it was the most convenient at hand.

The War Planner on March 1, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Bah, no worries. It’s the intent and content that counts matters.

Now, if you were a lefty…

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I’ve been reading that term thrown around here today. First I’ve heard of it.

C’est la vie.

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Any Euro-caucasion descendant has an increased risk for hemochromatosis, but the risk is further elevated in folks with Celtic (primarily Welsh, Irish or Scottish) lineage. The only proven treatment is regular blood-letting. I’ve heard of instances where people who didn’t know they were hemochromatositic but gave blood regularly, saved themselves without even knowing it.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Andrew had huge political enemies, the Unions, the Obama Administration. I find his untimely death very troubling in more ways than one.

Axion on March 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Blood-letting?!

Don’t we give the liberal leeches and medieval “doctors” enough?! ;)

Well, I guess that means my mother is safe. She’s probably got a plaque somewhere instead of racking up all the t-shirts and mugs she’s gotten for donating blood.

I on the other hand, while I can “tolerate” needles now, still avoid them whenever possible.

Unless it skips generations or something like that, there’s nothing in my family on either side to point to such a thing happening to me.

No matter. When it’s my time, it’s time. My wife has insurance on me. I’m not worried for her or our kids if I die young – though the idea of her remarrying doesn’t sit well with me (even though I have step-parents myself – whom I love).

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Coincidence, The Closer is showing the episode with Orson Bean today on TNT.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Blood-letting?!

Don’t we give the liberal leeches and medieval “doctors” enough?! ;)

Logus on March 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Relax, Logus. Primary hematochromatosis is hereditary, and like Tay-Sachs Disease and most others carried on ethnic genetic markers, it’s also recessive. If your mom and dad were both Celtic (as I believe both of Breitbart’s birth parents were), you have about a 1-in-100 chance. Otherwise, the odds are astronomical.

As was mentioned in an earlier post on the subject, I hope that Breitbart’s wife and all four of his children are tested. It’s fast, easy, and it may save them grief down the road.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

You might consider sending a copy of the show to the Breitbarts at some point. It might be nice for their kids to listen to some day.

tikvah on March 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I read what David Frum said about AB.

I really despise him.

UODuckMan on March 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

It looks like he died, but if you watch the whole video that has been edited out you’ll find that he’s very much alive.

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

/facepalm

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM

This makes no sense. I am so sorry. OMG. What happened?

Isserley on March 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Blake on March 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I have loosely followed the disappearance with sorrow and disgust at the lack of response on the part of the Seattle PD.
There are other missing young women in the NW, one of similar background from a Portland suburb.
You’d think that there would be more interest and diligence to solve this case. It strikes me as strange.

ORconservative on March 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

This makes no sense. I am so sorry. OMG. What happened?

Isserley on March 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Heart failure. Cause unknown as yet.

gryphon202 on March 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM

The last thread I recall about Mr. Breitbart here on HA was him arguing on Cenk Uyger(sp?)’s show within the last month. Some posters then were saying that he looked bad. I wonder if he had been feeling ill for awhile before last night?

RIP, Crusader.

p.s. Orson Bean is his FIL?? He was on TV when I was a little kid! Between that, and the deaths of various icons recently, I feel the rush of time.

Peace.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hemochromatosis

The only proven treatment is regular blood-letting.

The only way that the body excretes iron is through blood loss.

Diet to help prevent build-up of iron in the body:

Limit consumption of red meat and alcohol.
Do not eat raw shellfish.
Avoid supplemental Vitamin C at mealtime.
If diabetic, give priority to the diabetes diet.

maverick muse on March 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Often, and regrettably, we only take pause and recognize the real talent and purposeful contributions of someone after their death.

I don’t think that was the case with Andrew. We saw, and we admired his dedication, resolve and undying spirit while he was here. No surprises now that he’s gone, we knew all there was know about him while he was still with us. That says a lot about a man.

Rest in peace AB.

fogw on March 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

The Count on March 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Ever since that CPAC speech when I heard a “conservative” commenter say they were going to sit out the election I’d “Breitbart” them with that. I did it again today and will keep doing it until we get the Occupier-in-Chief out of the W.H.

Buy Danish on March 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Andrew’s passion for the cause always reminded me of Samuel Adams. I’m gonna miss him.

RIP Patriot.

Texas Gal on March 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Someone whop knows of such things should start a fund for Breitbart’s family and quick.

V7_Sport on March 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM

41 years ago today Bill Ayers participates in a terrorist bombing of the United States Capitol Building in Washington, DC –March 1, 1971

Urban Infidel on March 1, 2012 at 4:15 PM

After hearing Andrew’s speech at CPAC, I was humbled and embarrassed to think that I had NO backbone when compared to him.

He was an example to us all. Let’s make him proud.

Thank you Andrew!

ORrighty on March 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Andrew Breitbart’s death is an enormous loss to conservatism, to the cause of liberty, and to the United States, for that matter. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today.

Scriptor on March 1, 2012 at 4:27 PM

ORrighty on March 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I have to say, I had similar feelings off that speech. I wanted both to do something big, and also felt my own limitations.

His Weiner takedown, which was 100% to his credit, made me admire whatever perfectly loose screw could make him so brave and bold. He was blessed with a certain intuition and drive…. and I hope his greatest legacy has still yet to be revealed over the 2012 election.

contrarytopopularbelief on March 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

hoosiermama on March 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Agreed. And I love your “name”!!

hoosierma on March 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Really going to miss this guy. RIP.

Mirimichi on March 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM

An irrperable loss for the conservative cause. May his passing rally the troops to defeat Obama and elect a Republican Senate in the Fall. Only Gingrich, among the Republican candidates remaining, comes close to Andrew’s fearless passion and incredible brainpower. May God help this country.

pacificisland on March 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM

corretion: IRREPARABLE loss!!!

pacificisland on March 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Breitbart, at CPAC, said “whoever the nominee will be”.

The rest is propaganda.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM

hoosierma on March 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM

And yours as well. I’m a Northerner. You?

hoosiermama on March 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Great

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Those that may want more info on the condition of Hemochromatosis

Several posts were made on this thread today with an explanation of this.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM (an active link within this comment that leads to another site with much more information)

Thanks cane_loader, you are doing a good deed today. Being of Irish, Scottish and English descent, I will get my boys tested.

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Hey, we need to talk, because I am considered a patient advocate for this, and won a national award.

It’s not your kids. You need to get YOURSELF checked.

You can get your confidential DNA test kit HERE
cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Note: I’m just listing this info from the other thread so anyone can find add’l comments easier.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM