Breaking: RIP, Andrew Breitbart; Update: Collapsed while taking a walk near home

posted at 9:16 am on March 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Terrible news from our friends at Big Journalism, confirmed by Ben Howe on Twitter:

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles.

We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior.

Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.

I can’t say that I knew Andrew well, but I knew him enough to know that we have lost a stalwart fighter.  Andrew and I laughed together, debated together, occasionally disagreed together, and all of this passionately and memorably.  Andrew could be many things, sometimes concurrently, but he could never be ignored.

In some ways, Andrew was our Merry Prankster.  He was willing to take risks and look foolish in order to make a point or win an argument, with more courage than most would muster.  No one who saw it will ever forget how he seized the podium at Anthony Weiner’s press conference and demanded vindication from media outlets who had been disparaging him and defending Weiner when the former Congressman got caught literally with his pants down.  Few men have had the kind of impact Andrew did in such a short time, and he leaves behind a media empire that is still gaining strength.

I’m stunned that such a relatively young man has been taken from us at what appeared to be the peak of his life.  We will miss you, Andrew.  I will miss you — your energy, your boldness, and your many unremarked kindnesses to fellow conservatives.  Godspeed.

Update: Just remembered this great interview with Andrew from a little over a year ago on the Pigford settlement story.  I took this in the hallway of a conference in San Diego, and I basically just pointed the camera at him, asked him a single question, and Andrew did the rest.

Update: When a man as young as Andrew passes, everyone wonders how it could have happened.  According to Andrew’s father-in-law Orson Bean, he collapsed while taking a stroll near his home, and couldn’t be revived:

Breitbart was walking near his home in Brentwood, Calif just after midnight Thursday when he collapsed according to his father-in-law Orson Bean. Someone saw Breitbart fall and called 911. Emergency crews tried to revive him and rushed him to the emergency room at UCLA Medical Center, Bean said.

He is survived by his wife Susannah Bean Breitbart, 41, and four children.

Terribly sad.  Again, keep Susannah and the children in your prayers today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 14

…oh jeezus. So this is true then? Someone has vetted this?

This is bad news for all Americans …awful. Breitbart was a national treasure, of freedom. A warrior in a noble cause.

I …ah, hell. This is too much. Just too much. It’s just hella bad.

——
RIP. You will be missed, sir. Sorely missed.

davisbr on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Damn…just damn. A huge loss for the conservative movement. Damn…

bluealice on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Devastating. Prayers for his wife and kids. I love this man. Love his boldness. Love his fearlessness.
We lost a warrior today.
Jonah Goldberg could barely get through the interview on Fox just now. So sad.

hazchic on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Just……damn.

Sugar Land on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m a huge fan of him. I’m praying for his family and friends.

But still. How does a 43 year old die “Unexpectedly” from “natural causes”? He looked healthy at CPAC this year.

bigrichard.small on March 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I think “natural causes” would include a heart attack. Not saying that’s the cause of death, but at his age it’s certainly not “unnatural” for that to happen.

RIP Andrew – peace to your family.

SleightOfHand on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

@KatieBosland tweeted:
**********************

LA Coroner’s Office has confirmed to @ABC that Andrew Breitbart passed away last night at UCLA Medical Center.

Submitted 13 mins ago from twitter.com/KatieBosland
===========================

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

So tragic. I am shocked and saddened.

mbs on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Such incredibly sad news..

Rest in Peace, Andrew. You will be missed.

SueM on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

can only imagine the joy inside of the White House, Media Matters, Daily Kos, and the Center for American Progress.

I sure hope the family demands an autopsy. I’m not into conspiracies, but it is quite weird that he just announced two weeks ago that he had previously unseen tapes of Barack Obama in college and would release them before the election.

RIP, Andrew, you magnificent SOB. :-)

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

For sure an autopsy…an independant one.
RIP! I’m in shock…God be with his family.

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Confirmed LA coroner’s office, died at UCLA Medical Center. #@&*#!

M240H on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m not buying that the died of “natural causes”.

txlisa73 on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

This is very sad in so many ways. RIP Andrew.

pageram on March 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I’m thinking this is a hoax.

It is only on the one site, all other “sources” link to the same page. Not believing this quite yet.

stenwin77 on March 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I was hoping that too. But accoeding to AoSHQ, both Jake Tapper and Jin Geraghty have tweeted that they confirmed it with the LA coroner’s office. He died at UCLA Medical Center.

Deanna on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Eh, bodies fail, we’re too physically complicated not to have the potential for something to go wrong. I had a friend in HS whose dad just keeled over in the kitchen one day at the age of 47 or so, aneurism that blew out and killed him on the spot.

Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Anyone who believes that the Almighty and Merciful God exists should try and explain me Andrew’s death.

Archivarix on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

A great Patriot. May God Bless.

NotEasilyFooled on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Horrible-

Thoughts for his family.

poljunkie51 on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Wow. We’ve lost a real warrior. RIP Andrew.

Towmater on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Andrew liked being in the trenches on the frontline of this war against the lying media. And when you lose one of your strongest soldiers you have to feel a sense of emptiness. This is truly a loss for America.

Bensonofben on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Well, That sucks.
If you have not read his book “Righteous Indignation” please do.
I did the Audio book and it was great and I usually don’t dig audio books but the narrator kind of sounded like him.

Now, will we see the Obama college videos Andrew said he was going to show us?

esnap on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I had noticed in his last couple of video’s his behavior a little erratic.

Zcat on March 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

He was a little goofy in his speech at CPAC. Some growth of beard, and like he had a few drinks. It could have been signs of “mini-strokes” (TIAs), which culminated in a larger stroke. Caveat, that’s speculation, we have no idea how he died.

He was an amazing and inspirational, groundbreaking opinion leader for conservatives. He was the one man counterbalance to HuffPo.

Paul-Cincy on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I echo all the shock, dismay and feeling of loss that others have expressed.

And yes; the vulgarity of the left already has begun. The first comment posted at ABC’s news report said: “There is a God.”

They have absolutely no bottom.

pbundy on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I don’t know what natural causes mean…but you don’t die naturally at that age….

Larr on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Yes, unfortunately, people do. Google “Sudden Cardiac Death”.

Rod on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Natural causes? At 43? With so many enemies? Is anyone else skeptical?

rhombus on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Yeah that was one of my first thoughts – aneurysm or something.

fossten on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I have no words. This is just terribly, terribly sad.

tdpwells on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

He was a classmate at Tulane. RIP.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Oh my Gosh – I’m flabbergasted! Prayers to him and his family and friends.

KimS on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Damn ! That’s about all that’s coming out of me, ATM.
Damn !

pambi on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

The worst thing we could do would be to besmirch the time of Breitbart’s death with the anguished howls of those he defeated.

As he might say: Ignore them. They’re nothing.

KingGold on March 1, 2012 at 9:34 AM

If you follow Breitbart on Twitter, he loved to retweet the vile, hate-filled spew directed at him from the caring, open-minded people of the modern left.

Doing as kit9 suggests could serve as a final tribute to a great man in that the most despicable people who want to tear down this country all hated his guts. That’s quality…and a testament to how effective he was as a fighter for the cause.

DRayRaven on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

He’s younger than me..
Natural causes????

RIP.

Electrongod on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Holy cow, Jonah Goldberg just lost it on Fox. They were very good friends. What a terrible loss for so many people. But what a legacy to leave if your time on Earth is limited!

May God rest his soul and comfort his loved ones.

rockmom on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Wait until the Left starts to party.

HopeHeFails on March 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

They will begin pi$sing on his grave any moment now.

The Count on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I don’t know what natural causes mean…but you don’t die naturally at that age….

Larr on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Unfortunately, you most certainly can. We don’t know his or his family’s medical history.

changer1701 on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I lost a coworker to a heart attack – he was 24

It’s rare but it happens.

gophergirl on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Oh my God. I don’t even know what to say…

tragic.

Bee on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Damn fine work in such a short time…I would vote many awards to him for his guts and his actions.

trl on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Awesome guy. someone who wanted to take on the msm and he dies young. of course. at least he’s in a better place.

IR-MN on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

At least he went having fun.

RIP

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

R.I.P. Andrew Breitbart: one helluva fighter.

Freshface, may the ban hammer meet your moniker and any other lib troll for ANY reason today.

VibrioCocci on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Damn, this sucks.

Metanis on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I can’t believe this! Andrew stood head and shoulders above most of those fighting for honesty and sanity in our government. He was fearless, and his absence will be sorely missed. Respects and prayers to his family.
One of the memories that always make me smile was his impromptu address to the press conference that Weiner had called. It was simply unprecedented, and I can’t think of a soul with the ba!!s to do the same thing. It was like watching Yeltsin climbing up on the tank as the Soviet empire collapsed.

God bless you, Andrew Breitbart.

tpitman on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Very young. What kills a healthy man at 43 years and is called natural causes?

Karmashock on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

RIP Andrew

HotAirian on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yes, unfortunately, people do. Google “Sudden Cardiac Death”.

Rod on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Had a co-worker that died a few years back from that – one of the most fit people that I knew. Was around the same age as Andrew when he died. It can and does indeed happen. :(

tdpwells on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

How very very sad this is – I had such respect for his abilities and tenaciousness. Rest in Peace Andrew Breitbart.

This, plus what he said he would come out with prior to November – makes me suspicious too. . . .

karra on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Very sad news. We lost a strong and happy warrior. One of our best protectors of our inalienable rights gone.

A though autopsy is required here. We do have Marxists in power, after all.

NaCly dog on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

RIP Andrew. You’ll be missed, but even more tragic for us in the fight ahead, you’ll be missing. Walk with God, my friend.

JohnTant on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

People, go to liberal sites and collect the comments to this horrible news. Liberals always distinguish themselves by how unspeakably vile they are in the wake of the deaths of political foes. HA could publish a sampling of the caring and compassionate left in action.

kit9 on March 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM

If someone wants to keep an eye on HuffPo, the thread is here. No comments yet.

So far nothing but crickets at Democrat Underground, but of course they’re not out of bed yet.

Daily Kos samples:

Dude spread hate and ruined careers while he
was alive. I’m not glad for anyone’s death, but let’s not forget what he was about either.

Internalizing so much hatred and vitriol…as Breitbart seemed to do, will eat a person from the inside.

Out of curiosity, is there a consensus about where we can start kicking the dead and/or pissing on their graves and/or celebrating in the witch is dead-style?

Breitbart? Drudge? Limbaugh? Beck? Murdoch? Yoo? Bush? Cheney? Pinochet? Hitler? Nobody at all?

Just curious.

Usually its the good who die young

More on their thread:

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What “natural” cause?

How can they know without an autopsy?

labrat on March 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

He was one of the greatest fighters for freedom. This is a great tragedy! I am a big fan of Andrew and I followed his work since he first became active, a few years ago. He is a great loss for all of us….

Costin, Romania

costin on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Very sad. Two shocking events come to mind:

1. Rush Limbaugh being hospitalized in Hawaii.
2. Drudge reporting Supreme Court Supreme Justice John Roberts was resigning.

Unfortunately, this outcome isn’t as rosy as those others.

Marcus on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

To Andrew:In his Fighting for America,and the Conservative Cause!

USS SAMUEL B. ROBERTS (DE 413)

“The Destroyer Escort that fought like a Battleship.”
******************************************************

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Huffington Post will keep comments closed as they know their members are vile.

Bensonofben on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Suppose these “natural causes” were not natural and not self-inflicted. How much coverage do you think this would get, vis-a-vis Gabby Giffords coverage?

The Count on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I don’t know what natural causes mean…but you don’t die naturally at that age….

Larr on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Could have been something like a hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Stuff sneaks on people

blatantblue on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I suspect the hand of the government in this… and I don’t consider myself paranoid.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

My thoughts and prayers for his family and friends.

St Gaudens on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Was the dude a smoker or drinker or heavy food eater, because that stuff will hunt you down.
Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

All depends. I’ve seen enough stories about health nuts who just drop dead, ala Jim Fixx, the jogging guru.

OTOH hand you hear stories where there’s 100 year olds who have smoked and/or drank regular for half a century.

There just are no guarantees about when we’ll meet our Maker.

whatcat on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Stunned.

Always liked Breitbart, never backed away from a fight.

Pablo Honey on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Archivarix on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Can you save this stuff for a different thread? I know your narrative and cause is important, but save it for a different day.

smoothsailing on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I am devastated.

Socmodfiscon on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

At least he went having fun.

RIP

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

That is really uncalled for.

Tim Zank on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Just awful. I always admired him for sticking to his guns, and for what he’s accomplished for conservatism and politics. May he rest in peace. Prayers to his family and friends.

Yossarian on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

But at 43?!?!!?

fossten on March 1, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Death can strike at any time. We’ve just succeeded in burying it culturally with excellent medical care and placing ill people in facilities rather than treatment at home. Thanks to Romney and Obama, that will change.

ebrown2 on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

OMG – NO!
Oh, Jesus, why was this champion of liberty taken so soon?
We have lost a champion of everyone’s civil rights within our Republic.
R.I.P. and Godspeed, Andrew.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen

He shall indeed be terribly missed.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Each of us should do a little extra for Conservatism in honor of Breitbart. His loss is more than any one of us can fill, but a whole bunch of us doing a little just might come close.

huckleberryfriend on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Breitbart was one hell of a fighter for our side.

He will be missed.

victor82 on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Awful news. RIP.

GaltBlvnAtty on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Terrible loss. God bless him and his family.

mikeyboss on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

RIP Mr. Breitbart

NY Conservative on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:37 AM

That’s me…
I may have to change something….
Or cut back…

43???

Electrongod on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Huffington Post will keep comments closed as they know their members are vile.

Bensonofben on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Be known by your enemies, let the jackals say what they will.

roy_batty on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Huffington Post will keep comments closed as they know their members are vile.

Bensonofben on March 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The comments they’ve allowed so far are sympathetic and heartfelt.

Huffpo is playing it very classy – remember that Breitbart himself can be called one of the site’s originators.

KingGold on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Shocked! He was an outspoken champion…..his fight to expose corruption all around will be missed… RIP.

kringeesmom on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

At least he went having fun.

RIP

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

freshface: You must be a “Sleeper Unit”!

Gots “A” Linky,to bolster your outrageous accusation?

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

What “natural” cause?

How can they know without an autopsy?

labrat on March 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM

MRI/CAT scans can show a lot. If he had a stroke, and had a massive bleed-out in his brain, MRI will show that. Then there’s really no need for an autopsy.

Paul-Cincy on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Breitbart.

TooTall on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I am just sick about this.

RIP Andrew, and keep fighting for us. We know you’ve always been on the right side of things.

Flyboy on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You couldn’t pay me enough to put my eyes on the pages of KOS or DU today.

Bishop on March 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Bishop:You know Bishop,they will have celebratory partys,I ain’t
going to those sewers either today!:)

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

nor I … nor I ….

conservative tarheel on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Zowz.
Shocking. He did not seem to be in the best of health, but still seemed far from this.
I think he had young kids?
Condolences to them and his family.

verbaluce on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Yes, it is stunning, isn’t it……

labrat on March 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

ebrown2 on March 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Take that nonsense to another thread, friend.

KingGold on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

My Brother, Rest In Peace. In the bosom of Our LORD, and Father in Heaven.

HerneTheHunter on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I will always remember the piece that he wrote in the Washington Post 2 or 3 years ago about how the folks on our side were not battle-tested compared to the Left and because of our religious views would never entertain using tactics that the Left were using against our side.

I felt very depressed after reading that piece but Andrew Breitbart was right on.

Our side is NOT prepared to fight fire with fire. Breitbart knew it.

God rest your soul, Andrew.

technopeasant on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Wasn’t he supposed to show pix of 0b0z0 just before the election and his time as a radical in college? I surely hope someone has them.

He’s just too young! I hope they do an autopsy as well.

Bambi on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Wow.

Dante on March 1, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Dante, weren’t you one of the guys demanding an investigation into whether Rupert Murdoch murdered Sean Hoare, the key whistleblower, when he conveniently dropped dead of natural causes the day before the Murdochs were to testify before Parliament?

I believe that you were. If not, your fellow daytrippers were all over the internet screaming for it even though Hoare had an established drink and drug problem and had yellow skin colour for months before he died.

I had no problem with an investigation. You shouldn’t have one here.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

smoothsailing on March 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM

This.

tdpwells on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Unbelievable – we needed Andrew this year, like never before. This is tragic – May God Bless you, Andrew – Rest in Peace.

Pork-Chop on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Didn’t agree with him on much, but just WOW! WTF?

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 9:43 AM

We really don’t need hate from Kos and like sites strewn all about here right now. If people want to read that they know where to go to find it.

whatcat on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

At least he went having fun.

RIP

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You are one absolutely superb, card-carrying, unmitigated, bona fide douchebag. You should be banned – not from Hot Air, but from the planet. I’ve yet to see a comment of yours that was even remotely relevant, cogent, or constructive. It’s not wonder you believe in man-made global warming; everytime you open your mouth, you contribute to it. Get a life, get the f*ck out of here, and get bent.

Dopenstrange on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Archivarix on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

We had Andrew for too short a time but I think God needed him more.

William Amos on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Stunned doesn’t begin to describe how I feel right now. I did a double take at the headline and then the nausea came. This is a huge loss for the right. Andrew, you were a fighter and was rooting for you. Wow. Just wow. RIP and huge condolences to his family.

Renwaa on March 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

At least he went having fun.

RIP

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Classless troll makes classless comment.

MeatHeadinCA on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Archivarix on March 1, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Really, you POS? Really?

You take the opportunity of someone dying to make cheap political points?

WTF is wrong with you?

You’re as bad as that mother in the headline article last night using her dying child as a bludgeon to go after Rick Santorum and justify abortion.

UFB you people…

catmman on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Shocked. He will be missed tremendously.

Alinsky on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

From Big Government….

Andrew recently wrote a new conclusion to his book, Righteous Indignation:
I love my job. I love fighting for what I believe in. I love having fun while doing it. I love reporting stories that the Complex refuses to report. I love fighting back, I love finding allies, and—famously—I enjoy making enemies.
Three years ago, I was mostly a behind-the-scenes guy who linked to stuff on a very popular website. I always wondered what it would be like to enter the public realm to fight for what I believe in. I’ve lost friends, perhaps dozens. But I’ve gained hundreds, thousands—who knows?—of allies. At the end of the day, I can look at myself in the mirror, and I sleep very well at night.
Andrew is at rest, yet the happy warrior lives on, in each of us.

idesign on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

hookers and blow, bad for the ticker.

freshface on March 1, 2012 at 9:24 AM

I didn’t realize Bill Cinton has passed away.

Huckabye-Romney on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

AB came out of the left when he saw the light. Apparently, the truth set him free. God rest his soul. Thank you, Andrew

OkieDoc on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My heart goes out to his family…RIP, Andrew!

Maddie on March 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM