Breaking: RIP, Andrew Breitbart; Update: Collapsed while taking a walk near home

posted at 9:16 am on March 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Terrible news from our friends at Big Journalism, confirmed by Ben Howe on Twitter:

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles.

We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior.

Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.

I can’t say that I knew Andrew well, but I knew him enough to know that we have lost a stalwart fighter.  Andrew and I laughed together, debated together, occasionally disagreed together, and all of this passionately and memorably.  Andrew could be many things, sometimes concurrently, but he could never be ignored.

In some ways, Andrew was our Merry Prankster.  He was willing to take risks and look foolish in order to make a point or win an argument, with more courage than most would muster.  No one who saw it will ever forget how he seized the podium at Anthony Weiner’s press conference and demanded vindication from media outlets who had been disparaging him and defending Weiner when the former Congressman got caught literally with his pants down.  Few men have had the kind of impact Andrew did in such a short time, and he leaves behind a media empire that is still gaining strength.

I’m stunned that such a relatively young man has been taken from us at what appeared to be the peak of his life.  We will miss you, Andrew.  I will miss you — your energy, your boldness, and your many unremarked kindnesses to fellow conservatives.  Godspeed.

Update: Just remembered this great interview with Andrew from a little over a year ago on the Pigford settlement story.  I took this in the hallway of a conference in San Diego, and I basically just pointed the camera at him, asked him a single question, and Andrew did the rest.

Update: When a man as young as Andrew passes, everyone wonders how it could have happened.  According to Andrew’s father-in-law Orson Bean, he collapsed while taking a stroll near his home, and couldn’t be revived:

Breitbart was walking near his home in Brentwood, Calif just after midnight Thursday when he collapsed according to his father-in-law Orson Bean. Someone saw Breitbart fall and called 911. Emergency crews tried to revive him and rushed him to the emergency room at UCLA Medical Center, Bean said.

He is survived by his wife Susannah Bean Breitbart, 41, and four children.

Terribly sad.  Again, keep Susannah and the children in your prayers today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 11 12 13 14

Who takes a stroll at midnight…this is weird.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

No it isn’t. Brietbart struck me as someone with a lot of mental energy. Such people often have a hard time sleeping regularly and are often also night owls. And don’t discount the additional possibility he was feeling under the weather and thought some fresh air might do him some good. He did collapse and die after all.

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Hope everyone listens to Andrew Breitbart’s speech from CPAC 2012.

Skip to 11:57 and listen to the last 5 mins if your time is limited. He stresses the importance of rallying behind the Republican presidential candidate regardless of whether you share their beliefs. I hope everyone heeds this critical message. It could very well be our nation’s last hope!

Think about it – we need enough votes to make up for Obama’s huge base of freeloaders (most of whom shouldn’t even have the right to vote) and union parasites. It’s gonna take an army! The only thing Republican voters need to have in common is not wanting to be the next failed socialist nation. The rest can be sorted out later.

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Thanks Andrew…

The Ugly American on March 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Bluefox, you can add a ribbon to a porch style flag pole. It’s a little flag pole’s version of half staff.

RIP Andrew. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

tuffy on March 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

RIP Andrew. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

tuffy on March 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Oh, thank you tuffy. I didn’t know that.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Just devastating.

The Magnificent Bastard… he’ll be missed. Unbelievable.

Book on March 1, 2012 at 2:30 PM

A suggestion Ed: Make a blog post with links to all of the Hot Air stories concerning Breitbart.

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

The HotAir Search function should give you the same thing…

… at the top right of this page, enter “Breitbart” in the search box, click the search button, and you get the following page of links:

ITguy on March 1, 2012 at 2:31 PM

the clown car just lost one of the main clowns.

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

The best die young.

You have to live with yourself.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Who takes a stroll at midnight…this is weird.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Brentwood is also probably one of the safest neighborhoods in all of California, too. And unless it is raining, the weather is always decent in the LA area, even if it gets a bit brisk at night. The worst thing ever is the monsoon rains in LA during monsoon season. Those rains are long, hard, and fierce. Other than those times, the weather is always nice for a stroll, no matter what time.

However, what does it say about our political environment that so many of us also are suspicious and would like to see autopsy results.

I felt this bad when Tony Snow passed and we had a couple of years to get ready for that one, since we know he was fighting cancer.

I imagine Andrew’s wife just has to be in a stunned fog today. I hope she has many there around her to help her get through this.

Gosh I hate that this happened.

karenhasfreedom on March 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM

OMG
RIP

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on March 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

This is devastating. When it comes to telling the truth about the rotten left and exposing them, who was more willing and glad to do it than Andrew? He’d be on my list of the top 10-20 people fighting to save America from left-wingism. I hope his staff picks up the slack so to speak.

But this event seems very, very strange. I can’t know if something’s wrong, but it somehow feels like it. At the moment I just can’t think of a normal person of this age and vigor who wasn’t a nutter from the entertainment business who simply keeled over and died without warning.

I just heard him on Hugh Hewitt yesterday, still very much in the thick of things, still battling the rotten left. It’s a very, very strange turn of events….

Allendundit on March 1, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Here’s a link to Rush’s tribute..

lovingmyUSA on March 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Other than it being somebody from my family, this is probably the worst news I could have gotten this morning.

Dave From Canada on March 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM

fresh face.

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Godspeed, Mr. Breitart. Condolences to your loved ones.

Prayers ascend for both you and them.

rukiddingme on March 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM

sad news. was never a fan but to go this young is a tragedy

DBear on March 1, 2012 at 2:56 PM

RIP Andrew Breibart.
I’m shocked… stunned.

Sharr on March 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM

My brother died from a heart attack at 43. I can imagine what Mr. Breitbart’s family is going through. I wish the best for them in their time of breavement. May Andrew rest in peace.

Russ808 on March 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Coincidence, The Closer is showing the episode with Orson Bean today on TNT.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m in shock. Outside working on the yard and came in for a quick break and heard it on Fox News. I just saw him Fox a few days ago.

My heart weeps. I felt like Andrew was “my” voice. So often, so eloquently and with much passion, he said the things that needed to be said and it was if he was speaking both from and to my heart.

RIP, Bruthaman Andrew. I will always remember you as a patriot and someone who deeply cared about our country. Condolences to family and friends.

BruthaMan on March 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

.I wouldn’t wish death on another human being, especially one as young as Breitbart.You don’t die from “Natural Causes” at age 43, but it does no one any good to pretend that he wasn’t a hateful, partisan hack that did whatever was necessary to defame anyone that didn’t share his ideology.

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

freshface

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Suck another one, beta boy.

M240H on March 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

This is just so sad!!! I don’t even know what to say…Andrew will be so missed and his style of journalism was a breath of fresh air for conservatives. I feel for his wife and 4 children…and selfishly I ask…Can we win back the oval office without him???

vitaatcaritas on March 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Fallon, if you’re a woman, then have your kids’ father get an iron panel. The iron overload doesn’t show up in women until their late 60s-early-70s, so check the male partner.

If your kids are over 30, then have the kids get an iron panel. The anomalies show up around age 30.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’m a woman, early 50′s (arrrgh! It hurts to write that, lol) and kids are mid 20′s. So, it looks like hubby takes the test.

[snip]

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Your hubby’s iron levels will likely be normal. If so, then cross iron overload off your list. But there is a small chance they won’t be. I was after some cousins to get checked… their doctor refused. They went ahead and paid for it w/ a different doctor … and popped positive. First doctor had egg on his face and apologized.

Another family of cousins is refusing to get tested. It’s a stupid way to die when the treatment is to simply become a blood donor.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Collapsed on the street where he was walking after midnight in this initial report. Who does that, even in Brentwood?

The juice..after returning from slashing his wife’s and ron goldman’s throat.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Russ808 on March 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Have your doctor check your iron levels. Dying of a heart attack at 43 is a red flag for hereditary hemochromatosis, a.k.a. genetic iron poisoning, a.k.a the Celtic Curse.

NIH link HERE

Clive Cussler, the author, has it, as did Hemingway, Steve McQueen and Beethoven.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I pray that God will comfort Andrew’s soul…. he was interrupted in his eager search for the truth, and no doubt is pleading his case to allow the search to go on. Woe betide Lucifer’s battle to conquer this world if God sics Andrew on him…

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Big Breitbart
RIP

Andrew!

maverick muse on March 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM

….but it does no one any good to pretend that he wasn’t a hateful, partisan hack that did whatever was necessary to defame anyone that didn’t share his ideology.

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Classic example of Projection. The only thing Andrew hated was Lies and Hypocricy.

Red State State of Mind on March 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Everything about Breitbart’s death raises hackles. Dropping dead while on a leisurely stroll around his neighborhood after dark exposed him to snuffing through various means that would be child’s play to our now even more suspicious leader’s teams of employees willing to do anything for their bogus Gipper.

Anyone believe Ourbama would be above such things -especially after Breitbart’s recent statement about having videos of our illustrious leader in the past?

Isn’t this the day when Sheriff Joe Arpaio was to release the results from his posse investigating the Pretender?

Is Joe still alive? Or has he suddenly developed laryngitis?

dockywocky on March 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Just couldn’t accept the truth even when he thrust right in your face could you?

Seems to me you and your brain-dead brethren are the ones who are hateful, partisan hacks defaming anyone that doesn’t share your twisted ideology.

Rod on March 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Andrew announced recently that he had a tape of Obama in College to use in the general election campaign.

It should not have disappeared, so we will anticipate it’s public release.

maverick muse on March 1, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Rod on March 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM

The way of truth’s double edged sword.

maverick muse on March 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Who will fight for us now? Breitbart wasn’t an arguer… he was a fighter… and he will be sorely missed?

Who will take up his charge?

Chaz706 on March 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

He didn’t have a lot of fans among the deadbeat professional welfare recipient crowd.

How about you keep your uninformed hateful comments to yourself and show a little respect/class? If you don’t have something nice to say, go sit next to Hillary Clinton.

BruthaMan on March 1, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Thank you, Ed, for indulging my comments about the second-most-common genetic disorder in America, and I’ll leave the rest of this thread to remembrances of the esteemed Mr. Brietbart. His tragic passing likely was of a different cause, but there is a chance that undetected iron overload was the culprit, as doctors quit routinely checking people’s iron levels in 1997. Either way, if spreading information about the Celtic Curse can result in the diagnosis of even one person, and saving them and their family from an early death, then it would be good…..

And wow, I just read that the Celtic Curse is now the most common genetic disorder! ugh. It almost killed me and I am still fighting to regain my health.

A snip from the above link:

New warning about ‘Celtic Curse’ blood iron disease
Countless Irish Americans unknowing sufferers says expert

By
MOLLY MULDOON,
IrishCentral.com Staff Writer
Published Wednesday, March 23, 2011, 7:18 AM
Updated Friday, April 15, 2011, 1:21 PM

Hemochromatosis is now the most common genetic disorder in the United States and is described as ‘The Celtic Curse’

It is known as the Irish disease and Sandra Thomas who runs the American Hemochromatosis Society in Florida is urgently seeking to alert Irish Americans to its dangers.

According to the Centers for Disease Control the disease, hemochromatosis, is now the most common genetic disorder in the United States with an estimated 32 million silent carriers.

Thomas has been using St. Patrick’s Day celebrations and Irish gatherings everywhere as a platform for discussing what she describes as “The Celtic Curse”.

Hemochromatosis is a hereditary disease, linked particularly to Irish and those of Irish origin. It causes your body to absorb too much iron from the food you consume. The excess iron becomes stored in your organs, especially your liver, heart and pancreas.

It can lead to life-threatening conditions such as cancer, heart problems and liver disease.

Those with Irish heritage have a significantly greater chance of carrying the gene mutation that can contribute to the deadly disorder.

Some experts believe that hemochromatosis originated more than 40,000 years ago in Ireland when genes mutated allowing the population to over-absorb iron, to compensate for a poor iron diet.

If left untreated the disease can lead to early menopause, infertility, diabetes, heart failure and even death.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM

RIP Andrew Breitbart.

Sharr on March 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Sean Hannity is talking with someone, didn’t catch his name. But he’s connected with AB’s company. Said he had heart problems a year ago, etc.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

He was a great doese of your own medicine for you. STFU.

Eren on March 1, 2012 at 3:39 PM

doese = dose

Eren on March 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

That was a nice speech. It was conciliatory but was clear that some people “wanted to destroy the country.”

He was kind about some, like Messrs. Panetta and Soros, but was ready to go after our President with video.

I wonder what will become of that.

IlikedAUH2O on March 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

If Hannity is reading, please pass on to the right people that they need to get a cheek swab and do the DNA. Not just for hemochromatosis… but man, my heart was doing all kind of very bad things in the middle of the night, beginning at about age 40, and it turned out I was so full of iron that it was shorting out the nerves in my heart and making the top half get out of sync with the bottom half – just like a car with a slipped timing chain.

It is terrifying to wake up at night with your heart intermittently racing and stopping.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Even in death Breitbart shows the world who the liberals/progressives/democrats really are.

HumpBot Salvation on March 1, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Conservatism has lost a general — a warrior of unparalleled courage and conviction. I admired (and often envied) Andrew Breitbart’s fearlessness in the face of the left’s vicious hatred and unrestrained slander. He went, time and again, into the belly of the beast, happily, with a smile, and exposed its corruption, hypocrisy, and evil. This is a crushing loss for the conservative movement. Who will carry Breitbart’s mantle forward?

Rational Thought on March 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Andrew Breitbart spoke the same way to the man on the street as he did to the most prominent figures–with passion, with conviction, with abandon, with truth, and without fear.

Any friends he made, he made through shared values and mutual respect, not though useful “pull” or convenient alliances.

I hope his children continue to learn through their lives that their father was a great man and that by his example, many of us out here became better men as well.

Montana on March 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Hope everyone listens to Andrew Breitbart’s speech from CPAC 2012.
DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

In Andrews CPAC speech he said he had never-before-seen videos of Obama during his college days that he would release closer to election time. Wonder if anyone in law enforcement is looking into that.
RIP Andrew, may your cause be carried on by other brave American patriots. And may God hold your wife & 4 children in the comfort of His arms.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I along with all of the above will miss this giant of a man. We can only hope that someone will succeed him in his quest for truth. God speed, Andrew.

Ron H

Sergeant Major on March 1, 2012 at 3:49 PM

What a shame.

May he rest in peace.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Breaking news: Andrew’s last interview was last night with non other than Sheriff Joe Arpaio who gave Andrew an exclusive on his 7 month long investigation of Obama’s documents. Conclusion: forgery & fraud. It is being livestreamed here.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Ron H

We no longer have his fire, so we must fill the void with our own.

RIP big guy, may a flock of angels sing thee to thy rest.

squint on March 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Some would say the same for Breitbart. Especially after the Sherod and Acorn incidents where he set out to slander and nothing more.

Realclearblue on March 1, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Unfortunately for trash like you and the rest of the vile left, he was proven right in each instance. I guess that really frosts your bu!t, doesn’t it.
btw, kennedy really was a special pile of human excrement.

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

This makes no sense. He just collapsed at 43?

How come scummy people live so long. Take Pelosi, her face lift was older than Andrew.

Cripes.

SparkPlug on March 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Who will take up his charge?

Chaz706 on March 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Williard Romney!

I need a drink….

Norwegian on March 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Ted Kennedy was so foul even maggots avoided that POS.

Ok that was over the top. Do I feel guilty. No.

SparkPlug on March 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

dft1999 was much funnier.

Please remind of of how many defamation lawsuits he fought and lost.

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Keith Richards is still alive. WTH?

SparkPlug on March 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM

dockywocky on March 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM

lol, are you the same dockywocky who was on the old Usenet political newsgroups in the late 1990′s? How’s rosell19 these days?

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

A reuters article claimed he had a history of heart problems. I guy with heart problems probably needed to act differently than breitbart. He was thrusters on full kind of guy. I guess his heart just couldn’t take it.

IMO, if those college Obama college video’s are “missing”, then this is Vince Foster revisited.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Here’s a link to Rush’s tribute..

lovingmyUSA on March 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Thanks, appreciate that.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Some more classy remembrances from Democrat Underground…

Where does the line to piss on his grave form?

Maybe he choked on a big ball of his own evil bile?

which elicited this thoughtful circle-jerk response:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. Good one. :-)

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Aw damn. Thought I mis heard the damned radio.

//Ok, tin foil hat on//

wasn’t all that long ago he announced he had duh wun dat wun college video.

Where is it?

Vince Foster Creepy.

//tin foil hat off//

4 kids, a wife, a a bazzilion saddend fans.

Wow.

God Speed Andrew.

RealMc on March 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Uhh – No. Not completely. Acorn – yes,right on – but his treatment of Sherrod was dishonest and despicable. A big blemish on the man may he rest in peace.

independentvoice on March 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

BTW the Breitbart-Teddy Kennedy thing has now gone viral on DU and the other blogs; one would think it’s actually a coordinated response!

And an interesting thing-when one of the Bizarro Versions of a HA poster noted that this might not be the correct route to take, he got a fascinating response:

Why stoop to that level? Why become like him?

One reply:

I think there is a difference

in some cases–rather than stooping to Breitbart’s level, it is merely holding up a mirror to his own words.

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:26 PM

independentvoice on March 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You are completely wrong.

tom daschle concerned on March 1, 2012 at 4:28 PM

What an ache there is in my heart at the news of his passing. What a volcano-sized crater he leaves in the conservative community.

If you get a chance, read his interview with Rush Limbaugh. The link is on the main page of Rush’s site; it’s a pdf from the Limbaugh Letter: http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/.

I get tears in my eyes every time I read the tweet that Glenn Reynolds shared from Joshua Trevino:

“You wish to honor the man? Very well then: take up his sword, and fight as he did.”

Amen.
RIP, Andrew. May God bless and comfort your grieving family, and have mercy on your immortal soul. You.Will.Be.Missed.

theotherone on March 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I heard the last sentence of a news story on the radio this morning saying “…Breitbart died today”. Didn’t think for two seconds it could have been Andrew. This is just terrible on so many levels.

Vigilante on March 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM

A similar death of a young man dying too young and ruled natural causes.

No one ever talks about this, and it was not too long ago in California as well. Kam Kuwata.

FLconservative on March 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

So true. We need every vote possible. Get out the Vote should be our cry!

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thank you for being a Conservative Warrior, Andrew.
May God hold the Breitbart Family in the hollow of His hand.

kingsjester on March 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

BruthaMan on March 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM

You words reminded me of this:
“As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man”
Proverbs 27:19

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Thank’s for everything,Mr.Breitbart.R.I.P.

SMACKRUNNER on March 1, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I saw the headline and the first thing through my mind was assassination.
Wonder if we will ever see the Obama tapes he claimed to have.

slednfool on March 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Where is the Sheriff Arpaio thread? Today of all days, we should be rallying around those that refuse to be shouted down by the liberal media. Has the liberal media successfully marginalized Sheriff Arpaio? Has the silly condescension of the “birthers” label effectively silenced those that are concerned? If so, then so much for carrying the torch of Andrew Breitbart! Because I’m sure he’d be cheering the sheriff’s efforts to seek the truth, whatever it may be.

Unless there is objective and reasonably indisputable evidence contrary to what Sheriff Arpaio presented today, shouldn’t every American should be demanding a Congressional investigation? This is the national security of our nation we’re talking about! Isn’t the question of whether the leader of the free world was properly vetted valid? Personally, I can’t think of a more relevant question. Especially when you consider that Obama clearly has no concern about bankrupting our nation beyond any hope of a rebound.

As far as I know, only the Obama administration has ‘verified’ that his documents as authentic. That’s good enough for the American public? An affirmative statement from the same administration that carried out Fast and Furious? Seriously???

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Damn… its hard to tell other people about Breitbart dying. And describing his importance and accomplishments…hard to get away without your eyes watering up.

Daikokuco on March 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Who will carry Breitbart’s mantle forward?

Rational Thought on March 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I’m sure we don’t know at this time. All I do know is that God always opens another door when he closes one. We will know when someone walks thru that door.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I saw the headline and the first thing through my mind was assassination.
Wonder if we will ever see the Obama tapes he claimed to have.

slednfool on March 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

This is in the back of my mind as well, I hope he had himself covered.

Swerve22 on March 1, 2012 at 4:51 PM

theotherone on March 1, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Thanks for the link to the interview between Rush & A.B.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 5:03 PM

One final Classy DU comment

I don’t have to be a personal target of his to know that he was an evil, malignant terrorist

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I have a couple of posts up on my blog about AB. I just looked at the current stats. At this moment, these are the top “Search Keywords” that are showing up from people who are currently reading my blog:

andrew breitbart cocaine

burn in hell andrew breitbart

andrew breitbart atheist

andrew breitbart and cocaine

andrew breitbart happy reactions

andrew breitbart piece of shyt (my change for sensors)

andrew breitbart ruined people’s lives good riddance

andrew breitbart wife

andrew breitbart, cocaine overdose

breitbart enemies

Pretty sick. The guy had a wife and 4 children under the age of 12.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

but his treatment of Sherrod was dishonest and despicable.

independentvoice on March 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Please enlighten us. What was “dishonest” and “despicable” about his treatment of her?

He didn’t make her resign, did he?

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

That just plain sucks!

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Thanks for everything, Andrew.

Our turn.

Pablo Snooze on March 1, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Who will carry Breitbart’s mantle forward?

Rational Thought on March 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

There’s only one way.

From today, we are all Andrew Brietbart.

itsspideyman on March 1, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Keith Richards is still alive. WTH?

SparkPlug on March 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I had a similar reaction earlier.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Rush Limbaugh remembers Andrew Breitbart 3.1.2012
Mar 1, 2012
************

Rush Limbaugh pays tribute to Andrew Breitbart. RIP Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012.
(Video 14:03)
=============

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

but his treatment of Sherrod was dishonest and despicable.

independentvoice on March 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM

He didn’t make her resign, did he?

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’ll answer my own question. Thanks to Matthew @ Newsbusters

As someone who was one of the best fighters against the left-wing media hegemony, Andrew Breitbart was also frequently victimized by lazy reporters who didn’t bother to report correct information about him. This was a particular problem for Andrew because he was such a target for liberals making up lies which got repeated so often, they’ve become widely accepted as truth.

Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, the media haven’t stopped repeating lies about Breitbart even after his untimely passing. Contrary to much of the reporting about him today, Breitbart did not falsely represent Shirley Sherrod, former U.S. Department of Agriculture director of Rural Development in Georgia in relaying a video of her discrimination against white applicants for a farm subsidy program in 2010.

-snip-

That Breitbart has been blamed for people not reading his work is really one of the most absurd instances of liberal bias in recent memory, especially since no one has ever proven that Breitbart was the one who edited the clip in question to take out Sherrod’s spoken account of realizing that discrimination was wrong. To my knowledge, no one ever asked Breitbart who edited the clip down, something which his critics ought to have done rather than spread baseless innuendo about him.

Instead of doing some actual reporting on this, what liberals have done instead is blamed Breitbart for their own rash behavior. The NAACP, which hosted the event at which Sherrod spoke, had the opportunity to read his description of her recanting of racism and also had the actual full tape of her remarks, rushed to condemn Sherrod’s initial racism. Later, it reversed course and began bashing Breitbart. Ditto the Obama Administration which forced her to resign without paying attention to her confession and reversal.

Unfortunately, even to this day, this unjust smear against Breitbart has been perpetuated in the press.

Rest of smackdown here: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-sheffield/2012/03/01/liberal-reporters-still-wrong-about-andrew-breitbart-and-shirley-#ixzz1nuHJ1nVP

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

This f’n sucks….

therightwinger on March 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM

That’s quite a way you have to spend a day! Do you watch Matlock too?

KeninCT on March 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Who will carry Breitbart’s mantle forward?

Rational Thought on March 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM

None of the presidential conenders, least of all Obama.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Rod on March 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Oh, you are 100% correct.

How much have you dealt up close with people in denial who project their problems onto others? I have too many times, and they are so strange. I had a close friend tell me a few years ago that she didn’t have OCD, but I did, which came completely out of the blue. I asked her numerous times if she was serious, and she was. I couldn’t stop laughing. I made a bet with her that she was the nutty one, and to decide the winner, I had her go online with me to take a questionaire about OCD tendencies. On a 0-100 scale, she scored a 70. Me? 0! That result wasn’t slanted in my favor, either – I made sure that we’d concur on each answer before going on to the next question, so as to eliminate the suspicion of partiality towards ourselves.

While my friend is not a Leftie, projecting, like my friend did, is their MO – it’s part of the nature of Leftism. On one hand, it’s sad, because from my experience, people who project are very lonely, suffering from the sense that they’re unloved/unlovable. Think about Leftists as parents, and it becomes rather easy to see why their kids are so angry, often w/o realizing it at all, and have such serious intimacy issues.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

conenders = contenders

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 5:22 PM

The right has no street smart warriors now.

rickyricardo on March 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

What a stunning loss! Andrew was fearless in life, and committed to standing up and fighting for the United States as constitutionally founded, and stood for any and all Americans with the courage to stand up and fight for what makes us special as Americans as well.

Oh man, it’s like being gut-punched, to lose one of our generals who didn’t hesitate to do battle on the front lines right by our sides.

My heart goes out to his sweet wife and children, and my deepest sincere condolences to all who held him dear. What a wrenchingly sad loss.

KendraWilder on March 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Breitbart did great work in helping expose the outrageous crimes of Pigford. That’s just another scab we need to tear off next January.

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I loved this obituary by Matt Welch. Captured the essence of who Breitbart was and of what he did very well:

joana on March 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Wow, what a shocck, I just read the news.
Unfortunately, I knew a man who was not much older than this and he collapsed while walking near his home; in his case he was an avid fitness buff and power lifter. Seems his heart ruptured, just like that, apparently a genetic disorder.
Prayers to his family. He will be missed!

ajbell on March 1, 2012 at 5:34 PM

dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Go pound sand up your butt, cretin.

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM