Breaking: RIP, Andrew Breitbart; Update: Collapsed while taking a walk near home

posted at 9:16 am on March 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Terrible news from our friends at Big Journalism, confirmed by Ben Howe on Twitter:

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles.

We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior.

Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.

I can’t say that I knew Andrew well, but I knew him enough to know that we have lost a stalwart fighter.  Andrew and I laughed together, debated together, occasionally disagreed together, and all of this passionately and memorably.  Andrew could be many things, sometimes concurrently, but he could never be ignored.

In some ways, Andrew was our Merry Prankster.  He was willing to take risks and look foolish in order to make a point or win an argument, with more courage than most would muster.  No one who saw it will ever forget how he seized the podium at Anthony Weiner’s press conference and demanded vindication from media outlets who had been disparaging him and defending Weiner when the former Congressman got caught literally with his pants down.  Few men have had the kind of impact Andrew did in such a short time, and he leaves behind a media empire that is still gaining strength.

I’m stunned that such a relatively young man has been taken from us at what appeared to be the peak of his life.  We will miss you, Andrew.  I will miss you — your energy, your boldness, and your many unremarked kindnesses to fellow conservatives.  Godspeed.

Update: Just remembered this great interview with Andrew from a little over a year ago on the Pigford settlement story.  I took this in the hallway of a conference in San Diego, and I basically just pointed the camera at him, asked him a single question, and Andrew did the rest.

Update: When a man as young as Andrew passes, everyone wonders how it could have happened.  According to Andrew’s father-in-law Orson Bean, he collapsed while taking a stroll near his home, and couldn’t be revived:

Breitbart was walking near his home in Brentwood, Calif just after midnight Thursday when he collapsed according to his father-in-law Orson Bean. Someone saw Breitbart fall and called 911. Emergency crews tried to revive him and rushed him to the emergency room at UCLA Medical Center, Bean said.

He is survived by his wife Susannah Bean Breitbart, 41, and four children.

Terribly sad.  Again, keep Susannah and the children in your prayers today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 10 11 12 13 14

I first met Andrew Breitbart at 2010 tax day teaparty. Before his speech, he said “I don’t know what I’m going to talk about”. Gave an absolute stemwinder off the top of his head. Wow.

Saw him again two weeks ago at CPAC. He was looking for a Blackberry charger, tried to help. Saw him in an “animated” conversation with Larry O’Connor.

A happy warrior indeed. His takedown of Acorn was inspired.

JeffWeimer on March 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Remember when Tony Snow passed? And then a couple of years later, when Giffords was shot the Left still had the balls to lecture us on “tollerance.”

29Victor on March 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Mr & Ms Progressive, I Think That You Already Know Monsieur Petard, But Please Allow Me To Introduce You To Your Hoist

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Gods speed Mr. Breitbart & Thanks.

workingclass artist on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

OnLine Streaming of Rush Limbaugh,talking about Andrew on NOW!!

Out of Witcha

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I heard that. Nice tribute to Andrew. Rush described his thoughtfulness about Rush’s wedding and thereafter. Good to hear from those that knew him.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Just like here at HotAir, I’d check his ‘Big’ sites daily. Didn’t find this out until 12:30pm EST and I’m devastated!

You will be missed Andrew! I loved how you took on the MSM and made them your b*#<h!!

ManWithNoName on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Email the editors at Big Journalism if you are that concerned.

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I just did. One of the conditions that kills white men young by heart attack and stroke is hereditary hemochromatosis, aka the Celtic Curse. It’s a silent killer… and I guarantee that there are people commenting on this board right now who have it and don’t know it.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

The wind is certainly out of my sails. I can’t think of another soul capable of picking up the banner.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I don’t think Breitbart would have shared that opinion, though, Cindy. I didn’t know him personally, but from everything he wrote I think he believed it was in each of us to make a difference. And now with his passing, it’s even more important that we do our parts, however large or small.

I’ve been putting it off, but it’s time to go find out about being a precinct committeeman. I suggest everyone here might want to consider it as well. THAT would be a fitting memorial, don’t you think?

AJsDaddie on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I’m putting my flag at half-mast.

joshlbetts on March 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

We just lost one of our best warriors moments before going into the biggest battle the nation’s had in a long time. He was one of the reasons I thought we could beat Obama. What a truly devastating loss.

cpaulus on March 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Why is it always the best among us that are taken far too soon? This is the worst blow the the conservative movement in years. RIP Andrew, you won’t be forgotten.

Does anybody know what this means for the information he claimed to have that would destroy Obama in the election? Was he the only one that knew about it?

Swerve22 on March 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Famous people with hereditary hemochromatosis (aka the Celtic Cursed) = Ernest Hemingway, Steve McQueen, Clive Cussler.

It is thought that hemochromatosis caused Hemingway’s depression.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Easy there, REAL American!

KeninCT on February 10, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Relax, nascar season starts soon!

KeninCT on February 10, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I know that things like book learnin and personal hygiene aren’t very important to you Real Americans, but BHO was sworn in on 1/20.

capitulus on April 8, 2009 at 8:30 PM

You may be able to fool your fellow nascar fans with old stats but some of us with jobs and toothbrushes know that the DJIA currently sits at 7,800.

Next!

capitulus on April 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM

A different shtick would help. Maybe after you get banned again, you can come back next time as “not a douche”.

My apologies to douches.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’m putting my flag at half-mast.

joshlbetts on March 1, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I would too, but mine is just on the porch. I think that’s a nice tribute:-) It’s what Andrew fought for, in all it’s meaning.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

What a huge loss. I was a fan, and I hope someone will continue doing what he did best.

My thoughts today though are with his wife and children…

stacman on March 1, 2012 at 1:00 PM

RIP Andrew. Thank you for letting your light shine on the darkness of the left’s Big Government machine.

Haters – take a break, you can go back to being hypocrites tomorrow.

kirkill on March 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM

The only reason I’m flogging hereditary hemochromatosis is that it’s one of the most unknown, but very real, causes of unexplained deaths among young white men by heart attack and stroke.

Again, 1 in 83 Irishmen have it, and 1 in 250 white people at large.

Women get ill in their 60s and 70s because menstruation protects them by making them lose iron for years.

Women with the condition are unusually resistant to anemia, and can have LOTS of kids. The genetic mutation is descended from the Vikings, and thought to be 2,000 years old.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Okay – but you act as though we wouldn’t know that classless a-holes were acting like, well, classless a-holes unless you posted it here. We all know what you’ll find there…and if we want to see it, we can go find it. To post it on here is not enlightening anyone – it’s just infuriating those of us that respected the man.

CycloneCDB on March 1, 2012 at 12:40 PM

No, you are assuming and/or projecting what I just bolded above. There are plenty of casual readers here who will shake their heads in ignorance if you say “DU”, for example.

AB himself is reading this thread and laughing. As previously noted here by others, he did this stuff on his own page all the time.

Speaking of DU, here’s another imaginative post there. Besides the fact that the “Breitbart bad-mouthing Teddy Kennedy” Meme-du-Jour, many there are already gleefully calculating the political fallout.

Please make sure that the autopsy shows that he has abused himself to a point where his liver is just gone.

Thankfully James O’Keefe is now exposed, and vulnerable without his benefactor. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 1:02 PM

All the trollish leftys here have every right to say whatever they please. I just know if this was my website, classless, a$$holish comments would mean permanent banning. Even Gawker had sense enough to take down comments for the posting of his death. That says something that someone in charge here should consider.

di butler on March 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I can’t believe it. He was far too young and just getting started. How sad.

RIP.

El_Terrible on March 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

AJsDaddie on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I did that for 20 years eventually becoming Town Chair. It may seem thankless at times; but I learned a lot about government, the people in politics and so much more about my community than I ever would have known otherwise. I recommend you and others to give it a try.

KW64 on March 1, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Subotai Bahadur on March 1, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Let’s say hypothetically that an autopsy and investigation did determine Andrew died under “suspicious circumstances”. Do you think that information would ever be released to the public?

I don’t.

Flora Duh on March 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM

AJsDaddie on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I know we all need to be involved but it takes a certain kind of person who can revel in the hatred of the promotion of truth finally being public. It takes a certain kind of bravery that cannot only tolerate vilification but glory in it. He always surprised me, I hope others will grab the megaphone and shock me more.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Thanks cane_loader, you are doing a good deed today. Being of Irish, Scottish and English descent, I will get my boys tested.

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I would hope that the family is insisting that EVERYTHING be checked with a fine-tooth comb, and that ample blood and DNA samples will be taken to run very comprehensive testing. As bad a burr under 0bama’s and the Dems’ saddle, it’s critical for the survival of dissent in our system, that foul play be ruled out. I’m sure the people closest to them are already thinking along these lines.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Flora Duh on March 1, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Why wouldn’t? Such a finding is a matter of public record as far as I know.

NotCoach on March 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Rest in peace, Andrew. My prayers for you and your family.

jdeg2 on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

We are all stunned and saddened by the news of Andrew Breitbart’s passing. Andrew was a warrior who stood on the side of what was right. He defended what was right. He defended the defenseless.
It is so sad to consider his four young children who have lost their dad. All our prayers are with his family now. May God comfort his wife and children.
Many of us will have life-long memories of our work or encounters with Andrew. May we draw on those to help forward the cause of fighting for what is right. For me, just one of those memories was in Pella, Iowa, last year after the premiere of “The Undefeated.” Andrew held court in the restaurant at the local hotel talking about his favorite topic: how “culture is upstream of politics” and how conservatives must be unafraid to fight the leftwing media, cultural, and political establishments. The loss of his voice in this fight will be deeply felt, but thankfully his work lives on at his “Bigs,” and thank God for his inspiration and leadership.
God bless you, Andrew. Rest in peace, friend. We will continue the fight.

- Sarah Palin

idesign on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Conspiracy theories in 3…2…1…

conservablogger on March 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Sometimes even paranoids are right. I will admit that somewhere deep in the back part of my mind a little voice keeps saying, “something does not add up, he was walking out at night around midnight, he was awfully young, lots of people want him dead, etc., etc.” Do I think he was whacked? Heck No!At least not with the evidence I have seen so far, but I have read about and seen enough strange stories in my life to always be a little suspicious when I see something like this. I just hope every avenue is just to be on the safe side. People do die young for all sorts of reason that are not nefarious, so for now I will assume that it was a stroke/blood clot, or he had some heart related issue that no one was aware of.

Actually if the hard left was not so insane or did not do such insane things all the time I would not even entertain such nonsense at this point, but alas some of them are completely out of their minds.

William Eaton on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP, Friend. I will miss you very much.

sage0925 on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Hey, we need to talk, because I am considered a patient advocate for this, and won a national award.

It’s not your kids. You need to get YOURSELF checked.

You can get your confidential DNA test kit HERE

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This is horrible news! Who will be our bright shining warrior now?

neyney on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

H/T to Althouse for posting what was posted on Breitbart’s Twitter Feed earlier:

David Burge @iowahawkblog

In honor of Andrew #Breitbart’s passing, please RT ever tweet celebrating his death. He would have wanted it that way.
1 Mar 12

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

This is such a devastating loss. Rest in peace Andrew and prayers to the Family.

Conservalicious on March 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM
————————————-

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

bluefox:I found it interesting to post,I like Rush’s “shinning the
light of truth” on how MSM treated Mr.Brietbart!:)

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

This. The first three children in my wife’s family (including her and one brother), have this hereditary condition. She didn’t presnet the symptoms until the onset of menopause, because menstruation in females draws blood from them on a regular basis. The up side, once she underwent an extended spell of biweekly bloodletting, is that she now is a regular blood donor, like me.

ya2daup on March 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

the clown car just lost one of the main clowns.

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Oh, my! Did Kos die, too?

Leftists are trash.

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Dave Rywall, KenInCT (the hoarder), and others who cite Breitbart’s brusque dismissal of Ted Kennedy in showing him disrespect in his demise: You’ll have the moral equivalence you seek in vain when — and ONLY when — you can find a rap sheet or a body count for Breitbart.

Until then, enjoy flailing away.

L.N. Smithee on March 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Wow, this is the first thing I saw this morning, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. So sad. The loss of a true, fighting patriot. My heart goes out to his family. We need to all continue his fight, even if in some small way. :(

ConArtist in Tampa on March 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I have never met Andrew Breitbart, but I’ve been fighting back tears all morning. He was such a powerful force for good! He will be sorely missed. He fought hard for truth and freedom.

May God bless him and his family. We’ve lost a great fighter.
May his voice live on in all of us.

shelly99032 on March 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Terrible news. RIP Andrew.

kurtd on March 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

David Burge @iowahawkblog

1 Mar 12

I had that same thought, but it will be awhile before I get used to the eighwholes having the last word.

L.N. Smithee on March 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

When I go out – I’d like to go out like Breitbart – to the sound of cheering from the liberals.

It will mean that I lived a righteous life – as Breitbart did.

HondaV65 on March 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Honda, loved your comment. So true and I believe Andrew himself would agree with that as well.

RIP, Andrew. You were a fearless warrior for the conservative movement and will be missed greatly.

ladyliberty2000 on March 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I hear you. I’ve been sick since I heard it upon awakening. He was unique. I pray someone can pick that banner up and I pray people will find it in themselves to help fund that person if necessary.

Thank you for your reminder about his book. I just got a copy for my Kindle.

Eren on March 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Keep an eye on Dana Loesch. I have a feeling she’ll be the one to take up Andrew’s torch and run with it.

Flora Duh on March 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I’m a bit stunned at how hard I am taking this, I can’t imagine the heartache of those who actually knew him.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I feel it also. He represented all that we hold dear for ourselves and the Country and was our voice. He was our hero and he was held in high regard. How we are feeling is natural but we will recover from this and continue on with the fight.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Fallon,

The idea about DNA testing for the hereditary hemochromatosis gene, is to test as high up the family tree as you can. That means testing parents before kids.

If one parent tests positive, then you test the other parent. If that one’s positive, THEN you test the kids.

But before you go spend $200 on the DNA test, you get an IRON PANEL done by your doctor, if you’re a man over 30.

The Iron Disorders Institute recommends that all males over 30 get their iron panel done once. If there’s a problem, it will have shown itself by then. If they’re clean, then forget it for the rest of their lives. Women should be checked around age 60.

Fallon, if you’re a woman, then have your kids’ father get an iron panel. The iron overload doesn’t show up in women until their late 60s-early-70s, so check the male partner.

If your kids are over 30, then have the kids get an iron panel. The anomalies show up around age 30.

My iron panel revealed a problem, and THEN I had the DNA test.

If you’ve got an extra $200 and just want to know for sure, then go ahead and get the DNA test and be done with it. If you’s a carrier, then test your spouse.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Vince Foster, meet your newest compatriot.

BigAnge on March 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Wow. This is completely shocking and such a huge loss. Andrew was fearless. He was one of my favorite figures on the right. Just wow.

gumble on March 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

RIP Andrew, you were one of a kind.

Lawdawg86 on March 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM

ya2daup on March 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

THIS.

You see, Hot Airians, there are people in every gathering with iron poisoning, and the majority of them don’t know it.

My symptoms were all over the map, but once my heart started occasionally turning flips and acting like a V-8 engine with a broken motor mount in my mid-30s, I knew something was wrong. Once it started skipping beats at random and waking me up at night, I went from doctor to doctor and was called a hypochondriac, until for some unknown reason, I asked for an iron test. the doctor humored me, then when the results came in, he got serious.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Breitbart is probably looking down smiling at all the comments from the hateful Democrats at the Daily Kook and HuffnPuff. He truly loved this stuff. His twitter feed was one of the most entertaining things to read. There was truly nobody lke him.

Roymunson on March 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM

My heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and followers. Too young and too soon.

Christien on March 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

ya2daup on March 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM

As you know, if you and your wife have kids, each one of them is guaranteed to be a carrier, and must test any prospective spouses for that 1 in 9 chance, if the prospective spouse is white…. so that future kids are aware.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Try as I might –and maybe I just lack imagination– I can’t think of anything one might do or say while a college student that could be considered politically devastating to a middle-aged president three decades after the fact. Some radical-sounding musings from a young man just learning how the world works? Some racially-untoward remarks from a guy still trying to get a handle on his own mixed-race heritage?

Drew Lowell on March 1, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Gay sex tapes..?

affenhauer on March 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I assume you are kidding, though judging from some of the commentary I see around here, you might not be! No, Breitbart was very gay-friendly and while he may have been a prankster with a shaky sense of what constituted “journalism,” I’m convinced that he believed what he said. A man who strongly defended GOProud would not be hypocritical enough to use footage like that as a weapon, even in the extremely unlikely event that such activity ever happened in the first place, let alone that a heretofore-unrevealed film of it exists.

No, it’s far more likely that the whispered-about “Breitbart college videos” consist of some grainy VHS footage of greenhorn students sitting around a table –maybe smoking cigs or even (gasp!)weed!– spouting something sophmoric about public policy or race relations.

Presumably, Dana Loesch (or whoever’s in charge at those Breitbart sites now) will put those tapes out at whatever point in time they figure will do the most political damage to the President, because, you know, journalism! But I’m as curious as you righties as to what the tapes contain –and just as likely to be let down once we all see how innocuous they turn out to be.

Drew Lowell on March 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

May Big Government carry on the public service… in Brietbart’s honor.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I’m devastated by this news. Rest in Peace Andrew. His family and friends are in my prayers.

Jack_Burton on March 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I had so much admiration for this man. I am stunned and my eyes keep welling up. My heart goes out to his family.

TeleL on March 1, 2012 at 1:25 PM

My apologies to douches.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

You’re so humorless, Jim! Lighten up, hero!

KeninCT on March 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I am saddened by this news. He was a fighter for conservatives and one of the few who would confront leftists to their hypocritical faces. We have lost a fighter for liberty and freedom. It’s a sad day for our republic. Rest in Peace Andrew. I just want to cry.

Dollayo on March 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Prayers for his family, they must be devastated. We’ve lost a great warrior in the fight for truth. RIP Andrew, well done.

infidel4life on March 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

This is horrible news! Who will be our bright shining warrior now?

The closest I can come up with are people like Bill Whittle and Dana Loesch.

Chickyraptor on March 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

America has lost a true Patriot. He loved the fight! We will all miss you Andrew.

tim c on March 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM

It will mean that I lived a righteous life – as Breitbart did.

HondaV65 on March 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

So true Honda. True success is in relation to the types of enemies you make.

itsspideyman on March 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Hey Kenny, did you find a date yet?

angryed on March 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Get new material, patriot! Even Dennis Miller wouldn’t find that funny.

Undefeated!

KeninCT on March 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Take that as a no.

Lil kenny’s still goin’ steady with Minny (Palm).

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Hey Kenny, did you find a date yet?

angryed on March 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Take that as a no.

Lil kenny’s still goin’ steady with Minny (Palm).

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Not the thread for this, guys. Show some respect.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

cane loader, thanks for all this information. My husband is Scots-Irish and has a build like Breitbart’s (in fact they look much alike in several ways). We will get everything checked.

Missy on March 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM

This is truly saddening news. My prayers for his wife and children.

terryannonline on March 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Missy on March 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Missy, here are the tests for iron overload:

Serum Iron

Ferritin

TIBC/UIBC

Transferrin Saturation Percentage
There are a couple others, but they all fall under the name of the “standard iron panel.”

Have a doctor do those, and you’ll see exactly where your husband stands.

If he’s already 35ish or older, and the numbers are good, then you can cross the Celtic Curse off your list of worries.

On the other hand, if there’s a problem, you will have saved his life…. because untreated hereditary hemochromatosis is 100% FATAL.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Haven’t felt this bad about someone I didn’t know personally dying since Dean Barnett passed away.

Brat on March 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Missy, I will tell you that my doctors called me a hypochondriac…. but I was diagnosed at age 41, the average age of diagnosis… and I likely would have been dead by 45, given the cardiac symptoms that were becoming increasing hard to ignore.

My boss was an Irishman who died suddenly in bed of a heart attack at age 57. I still think he had it….

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

i didn’t say anything mean – other than that he deserves the same respect from the enemies he so enjoyed making that he gave to the people he hated. that’s it. i don’t have the stomach for the sanctimonious bs about how we must respect dead people, as though death can make a loathsome person less loathsome.

sesquipedalian on March 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Right, right…a humble, lovable person like you talking about the loathsomeness of someone else. What next from someone on your team – a lecture from Bill Clinton on the immorality and untrustworthiness of spouses who are serial cheaters? Or maybe, we’ll get really lucky, and 0bamessiah will majestically orate from between His above-mockery, antithetical-to-pretentiousness Greek columns, about how it’s completely the Republicans’ fault for the loss of civility in US politics, which is one of the many reason why Maxine Waters calling Boehner and Cantor “demons” was a perfectly justified action?

I know this will be a Herculean task for you, but try to look at yourself objectively, and explain what about yourself could lead you to believe that you might possibly be a less loathsome person than you assess Breitbart to be. From all of the postings I’ve see from you here, which I readily admit is far too many, I’ve never once seen an indication that you have anything positive or constructive to say, or that you have any interest at all in intellectual honesty.

Please don’t let me down here – I’ve got $10,000 riding on you with a friend of mine who bet me that you’ll prove me wrong, shocking me by showing that you actually do have at least one decent bone in your body.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Breitbart’s death is a loss to us all. Condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace, Andrew. You were a valiant soldier for truth.

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 PM

bluefox:I found it interesting to post,I like Rush’s “shinning the
light of truth” on how MSM treated Mr.Brietbart!:)

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Yes. Rush does it in his own way. Andrew Brietbart did it out and in your face; he was a fearless Warrior. The MSM & others that are posting vile are doing it because of this:

“For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved”
As it was then, so it is now. Good vs Evil, a continuing battle! Each of us have our part:-)

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

My husband and I are so sad today, to think we will never see Andrew’s vibrant personality on screen again. He spoke truth to power. He stood up consistently for my friends who were there protesting Obamacare and who were falesely accused of spitting on a Congressman.

We should all keep fighting on this particular issue until the Washington Post apologizes.

Sincere condolences to your family, Andrew, from Virginia where you were loved by our family.

LibertyJane on March 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM

This is trulysad news..We as conservatives have lost a true warrior for the cause..God bless his family..Rest In Peace Happy Warrior..The world is a lesser place without your presence..

Dire Straits on March 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

So the Gawker article keeps having the comments section closed off and periodically reopened, but the same sentiment keeps popping up, and I will bold it so you all can understand who it is Andrew was fighting:

RESPECTING THE DEAD ONLY MATTERS WHEN IT IS SOMEONE WHO LIVED A LIFE WORTH REMEMBERING SO IF I THINK A LIFE IS NOT WORTH REMEMBERING, I WILL SLANDER THE DEAD AND REVEL IN IT.

That’s their way of saying that they will make light of the deaths of those they disagree with. That’s the message. They’re saying they will not be civil when a conservative dies even if conservatives are positively angelic when one of their heroes dies. In light of this, we shouldn’t even grant them the satisfaction of civility when one of theirs dies. No, I don’t particularly care that “oh, this shows how tolerant and how much better we are then they,” that’s preaching to the choir. The only people who understand that are people on the right anyway. Rabid leftists will not be swayed by watching us be nice to the left. They want us to play nice, even if being mean gives them ammunition to use against us. At this point, the only people who believe them are, well…them.

It’s high time we remembered what Andrew Breitbart stood for, and start being more like him.

mintycrys on March 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Wow just wow =( no way did i think i’d see something like this today…very sad news…Andrew Brietbart did a lot of good for the conservative cause..he sometimes used language i disagreed with and was far from a social conservative but bringing the heat to the MSM he did it like no other..sad day today for his loss =( def need to keep his family in our prayers

sadsushi on March 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

God rest him. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

What a world. Kim Jon Il lives to an old age, while this champion of freedom dies so young. 43?

I’m devastated.

Richard Romano on March 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM
————————————–

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM

buefox:Nicely said!:)

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Excuse me while I leave this world!……R.I.P ANDREW BREITBART…You are already missed…:o(

christene on March 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I lost three people close to me within a 60-day period in 2011 and have been for the first time considering that I might suffer an early demise. I had a doctor’s appointment in the afternoon yesterday, and in the morning came word that Davy Jones — the seemingly ageless, babyfaced singer of the Monkees who appeared to be in excellent shape — had died at 66. After arranging for a battery of tests, now I find that a man I admired from afar aged several years my junior died just taking a walk.

God did not do this to other people to give me a wake up call. But I’m hearing it loud and clear.

L.N. Smithee on March 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Brat on March 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

+ One trillion!

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I am crestfallen and I worry about how we will get “there” without Andrew.

On one hand, I have the sense that for the Conservative movement this is a body blow. On the other hand, I have the sense that somewhere, somehow the accelerator pedal has just been shoved to the floor.

I suspect we will want to buckle up, double down and go all in. Is that what Andrew would recommend?

moochy on March 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM

This is murder most foul.

Dunedainn on March 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM

NY Post said Breitbart had hear problems last year so I was correct he died something related to the heart

Deep down, Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin are probably are going to change their lifestyle after Andrew’s untimely death.

Both Rush and the Great One are not in great shape physically.

nparga23 on March 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’m a woman, early 50′s (arrrgh! It hurts to write that, lol) and kids are mid 20′s. So, it looks like hubby takes the test.

I was just thinking about Andrew coming to the Smart Girls Politics Summit in St. Louis. He was on vacation but wanted to speak there. So, he and his son rented a convertible to drive down from Michigan, something like seven or eight hours straight. It looked like they had a blast. He was so full of life.

I was able to speak to him about voter fraud in nursing homes. My mother has Alzheimer’s and yet, somehow, she votes every election. I was deciding whether to go deeper into the story or not. He encouraged and emboldened me.

His family should be proud of all that he was able to accomplish in a relatively short life.

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Unreal… so sad. RIP

Ugly on March 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I got in the car to take my mom on an errand just after Rush opened his show, so I was hearing him talk in the past tense of Andrew Breitbart and things he HAD done. Since I was driving, I had to keep my composure. As soon as I got my mom to her appointment, I stayed in the car and used my iphone to check my drudge app. Sure enough, confirmation that he had passed on.

I just sat in my car and cried like he was my brother. I revered this brave, fearless patriotic warrior. He leaves very big shoes to fill and we all must pick up the banner and fight the fight. In fact, I am crying again as I type this.

I last saw him on the youtube videos as he was confronting the “freaks” as he called them, at CPAC outside of the hotel. I loved how he was calling the occupy freaks, “freaks”. I am going to continue that moniker when I refer to them.

One thing I hope he kept in a safe place where people know it is, are those tapes he has of Obama’s early years. He was at the Palin meetup during CPAC and gave a speech there. It was a GREAT SPEECH and he referred to the fact he had tapes he planned to release during the fall election. You can find this speech at the http://www.conservatives4palin.com site. They probably have a link to it easy to find. I haven’t been to their site yet but I imagine they have a tribute thread up, too.

God Speed Andrew, you touched many lives. (I am crying again).

karenhasfreedom on March 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

It’s called the “Leftard Limbo” at which they excel:
“How low can you go?”

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on March 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

karenhasfreedom on March 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Same here. While driving, I had to pull over when I heard the breaking news this morning. It shook me to my core. I saw another car pulled over. I don’t know if it was for the same reason or not, but the man inside that car was crying, too. It still does not seem possible.

Fallon on March 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Who takes a stroll at midnight…this is weird.

rubberneck on March 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Andrew struck me as someone I would love to have broken bread with. He was a hero who I will sorely miss; I will miss him, not just his fearless work for this county. His voice was very personal. Condolences to his family. I pray for your soul, Mr. Breitbart.

daddy O six on March 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Collapsed on the street where he was walking after midnight in this initial report. Who does that, even in Brentwood? I’m picturing a furtive figure in a dark trench coat twirling his mustache and carrying a pointy umbrella stepping out from behind a Brentwoody bush directly behind Andrew as he strolls by. In the dark. Alone.

Breitbart was supposed to have video / pictures of The One in college which he was going to release prior to the election. Does the “Chicago Way” include assassination?

NahnCee on March 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM