Breaking: RIP, Andrew Breitbart; Update: Collapsed while taking a walk near home

posted at 9:16 am on March 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Terrible news from our friends at Big Journalism, confirmed by Ben Howe on Twitter:

Andrew passed away unexpectedly from natural causes shortly after midnight this morning in Los Angeles.

We have lost a husband, a father, a son, a brother, a dear friend, a patriot and a happy warrior.

Andrew lived boldly, so that we more timid souls would dare to live freely and fully, and fight for the fragile liberty he showed us how to love.

I can’t say that I knew Andrew well, but I knew him enough to know that we have lost a stalwart fighter.  Andrew and I laughed together, debated together, occasionally disagreed together, and all of this passionately and memorably.  Andrew could be many things, sometimes concurrently, but he could never be ignored.

In some ways, Andrew was our Merry Prankster.  He was willing to take risks and look foolish in order to make a point or win an argument, with more courage than most would muster.  No one who saw it will ever forget how he seized the podium at Anthony Weiner’s press conference and demanded vindication from media outlets who had been disparaging him and defending Weiner when the former Congressman got caught literally with his pants down.  Few men have had the kind of impact Andrew did in such a short time, and he leaves behind a media empire that is still gaining strength.

I’m stunned that such a relatively young man has been taken from us at what appeared to be the peak of his life.  We will miss you, Andrew.  I will miss you — your energy, your boldness, and your many unremarked kindnesses to fellow conservatives.  Godspeed.

Update: Just remembered this great interview with Andrew from a little over a year ago on the Pigford settlement story.  I took this in the hallway of a conference in San Diego, and I basically just pointed the camera at him, asked him a single question, and Andrew did the rest.

Update: When a man as young as Andrew passes, everyone wonders how it could have happened.  According to Andrew’s father-in-law Orson Bean, he collapsed while taking a stroll near his home, and couldn’t be revived:

Breitbart was walking near his home in Brentwood, Calif just after midnight Thursday when he collapsed according to his father-in-law Orson Bean. Someone saw Breitbart fall and called 911. Emergency crews tried to revive him and rushed him to the emergency room at UCLA Medical Center, Bean said.

He is survived by his wife Susannah Bean Breitbart, 41, and four children.

Terribly sad.  Again, keep Susannah and the children in your prayers today.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 12 13 14

In case you’re not upset enough, try this.

Stay classy, Mark Moulitsas and the gang at Daily Kos.

princetrumpet on March 1, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The bastards killed him.

sartana on March 1, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Hit me like a ton of bricks today. Our fiercest warrior. Right up there with Malkin, Levin, Coulter. Just a year younger than myself. We must honor him by continuing the fight and defeating Obama in November. My prayers to his family. Rest in peace Andrew. God bless.

sbvft contributor on March 1, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Stunned… this is awful news.. prayers to his family..

vamp57mw on March 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Reading the vile comments about Breitbart now circulating in leftist blogosphere, I can’t help thinking how even in death, his presence continues to be both clarifying and instructive as to the nature of the opposition.

Well done, Andrew.

Well done.

Bruno Strozek on March 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM

If you can stay up or record, Red Eye will be dedicated to Andrew Brietbart tonight.

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Cindy Munford on March 1, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Thanks Cindy. I’m just getting ready to listen to Levin.
Also someone (sorry I forgot the name) from Brietbart is going to be on Hannity tonight.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Godspeed, Andrew. Prayers for your family. Thank you for all the courage and truth. What an example you were. Rest in peace. We won’t forget your example.

texanpride on March 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM

very sad and suspicous news

Didn’t Andrew just announce last month that he had some very condemning evidence against obama that he would use as an october surprise?

audiotom on March 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I stopped watching the news and reading it on websites like this about two months ago, due to disgust with the direction our country is headed. I felt powerless and voiceless to do anything about it. When I read on Facebook that he died, I was truly shattered. It surprised me how deeply I felt about someone I didn’t know personally. But he was my voice- a housewife raising four kids in the suburbs. May he rest in peace and my prayers go out to his wife and now four fatherless children.

ktrich on March 1, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Mark Levin,interview with Andrew Brietbart,
Online Streaming Radio Live!
============================

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 6:12 PM

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

He was my hero and he will be missed. My heartfelt sorrow goes out to his wife and kids.

Garym on March 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Mark Levin is playing an interview with Breitbart now.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Rest in peace, my brother… You left us way too soon… Thanks for doing all that heavy lifting…

Khun Joe on March 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Monkey
freshface

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Mark Levin is playing an interview with Breitbart now.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

The two most important men to the movement. Keep Levin in your prayers. He’s never been more important than he is right now.

CycloneCDB on March 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Monkei
freshface

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I can’t believe it. This is a great tragedy, a great loss, for our country. His family will be in my prayers. I don’t know how to stand this. He was one of my heroes, a ray of light shining into the future. Now he is gone. Who will take his place?

zeebeach on March 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

dft2000
Monkei
freshface

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Wow, I am stunned. I just found out about this an hour ago. Being Breitbart, I thought it might have been some sort of hoax or prank on the media, or at least I was hoping it was.

He was too young. I genuinely liked the guy as a person, whether he was on my side or not. We lose a valuable, public, fearless and very effective voice for conservatives in the media.

I had to beat down all the conspiracy theories brewing in my head after hearing this news considering he just announced he had some tapes of Obama he was going to release.

Very sad, he will be missed.

Daemonocracy on March 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM

very sad and suspicous news

audiotom on March 1, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Always question the timing.

Let’s hope he shared the information with some anonymous person he trusted.

Disturb the Universe on March 1, 2012 at 6:27 PM

R.I.P. Andrew Breitbart

xplodeit on March 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM

canopfor on March 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM

That was a good interview. Gave some background that I didn’t know.
Mark just said that by the Libs trying to destroy Clarence Thomas, created Andrew Breitbart. Since A.B. said that is what started his turn around or something like that.

One of Breitbart’s people are going to be on Hannity tonight. Forgot his name; he was on Hannity’s radio show.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 6:34 PM

The person that is going to be on Hannity’s tonight, said today on Sean’s radio show that Breitbart had heart problems last year. So perhaps they will mention that tonight.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Terrible news. Such an innovative and conscientious journalist. He was truly unique and will be greatly missed.

MJBrutus on March 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

it does no one any good to pretend that he wasn’t a hateful, partisan hack that did whatever was necessary to defame anyone that didn’t share his ideology.
dft2000 on March 1, 2012 at 3:08 PM

dft1999
was much funnier.
Please remind of us of how many defamation lawsuits he fought and lost.
Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread, but among those I have read, this is the best ‘comeback’ to the few trolls that have posted insults on this thread against Andrew.

Thanks, Del Dolemonte. : )

listens2glenn on March 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

We lost a good one. You will be missed Andrew Breitbart, R.I.P.

dddave on March 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Where is the Sheriff Arpaio thread? Today of all days, we should be rallying around those that refuse to be shouted down by the liberal media. Has the liberal media successfully marginalized Sheriff Arpaio? Has the silly condescension of the “birthers” label effectively silenced those that are concerned? If so, then so much for carrying the torch of Andrew Breitbart! Because I’m sure he’d be cheering the sheriff’s efforts to seek the truth, whatever it may be.

Unless there is objective and reasonably indisputable evidence contrary to what Sheriff Arpaio presented today, shouldn’t every American should be demanding a Congressional investigation? This is the national security of our nation we’re talking about! Isn’t the question of whether the leader of the free world was properly vetted valid? Personally, I can’t think of a more relevant question. Especially when you consider that Obama clearly has no concern about bankrupting our nation beyond any hope of a rebound.

As far as I know, only the Obama administration has ‘verified’ that his documents as authentic. That’s good enough for the American public? An affirmative statement from the same administration that carried out Fast and Furious? Seriously???

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Indeed, HotAir, where is your Arpaio Cold Posse Report thread. His seven month investigation into Obama’s Selective Service & Birth Certificate says: FRAUD & FORGERY. Arpaio gave Andrew Breitbart an exclusive interview taped HOURS BEFORE ANDREW’S DEATH.
Hey Ed & Allah, DON’T be hypocrits & pay tribute/pay lip service to Andrew while IGNORING THE FINDINGS THAT OBAMA & his admin have committed FELONIES TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE PRESIDENCY. Breitbart’s last interview (with Sheriff Joe Arpaio hours before his death) proves it was IMPORTANT TO ANDREW. SO PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

NightmareOnKStreet on March 1, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I don’t think I could stomach the tought of wading though the cesspool of hatred and hacks that are clogging bandwidth right now…as if the death of this man was to be a joyous event.

Never-less, this man was a leader, and a person to be missed. I hope the sites will continue and I will definitely Kindle his book this weekend.

BlaxPac on March 1, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I hope someone else can follow through with the videos of Obama that AB was about to reveal. But I can’t help but wonder if it’ll even make a difference. Remember how resolutely Obama’s association with Rev Wright was excused away? Seems like some old comments made during Obama’s college days would be far easier to write off.

Truth just seems to be completely irrelevant to the left. It would have to be to overlook 20 years with Rev Wright, wouldn’t it? I’m honestly still shocked that he managed to get elected after that.

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Yeah, bring on the Sheriff Arpaio thread!

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

texanpride on March 1, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I don’t think he is anywhere near god now. After all he called Ted Kennedy a villain on the day he died … the man deserves nothing better than the trash he is receiving now.

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Great

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

And you’re just the troll to fling that trash.

29Victor on March 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

What an eff he you are

And

Teddy was a total pos

Sonosam on March 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

What an eff hole you are
And
Teddy was a total pos
Sonosam on March 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Sonosam on March 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Sad loss for our side but mostly for his wife and children.

May his soul rest in peace, may his family find comfort and may we continue his fight for this nation.

As for the nasty things from the other side, no surprise there.

Jvette on March 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yeah, bring on the Sheriff Arpaio thread!

DanaLynn on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Drudge has some info up.

bluefox on March 1, 2012 at 7:44 PM

were the ambulance workers seiu?

just askin…

reliapundit on March 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

uh oh

jaboba on March 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

BOMB SQUAD called to Rush Limbaugh house?

just a coincidence.

PappyD61 on March 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hey peeps that want to send Rush a “Business Opportunity”…..don’t send a box that has WIRES in it.

PappyD61 on March 1, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Are you aware Ted Kennedy tried to make a deal with his fellow travelers in the USSR to interfere with our election in 1984? Does being a traitor earn Teddy the “villain” label in your book, or not?

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Hell, he even met with the Soviets in an attempt to undermine a President from his own party — Jimmy Carter. His FBI file is bloody fascinating and it is unbelievable that people still hold him up as some sort of freaking saint.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Mary Jo Kopechne deserved better than to be left in a submerged car to die so that a drunk Senator Ted Kennedy could salvage his political career.

That reminds me of a wonderful example of your honourable Left:

From the Huffington Post’s Melissa Lafsky, The Footnote Speaks: What Would Mary Jo Kopechne Have Thought of Ted’s Career?:

Mary Jo wasn’t a right-wing talking point or a negative campaign slogan. She was a dedicated civil rights activist and political talent with a bright future — granted, whenever someone dies young, people sermonize about how he had a “bright future” ahead of him — but she actually did. She wasn’t afraid to defy convention (28 and unmarried, oh the horror!) or create her own career path based on her talents. She lived in Georgetown (where I grew up) and loved the Red Sox (we’ll forgive her for that). Then she got in a car driven by a 36-year-old senator with an alcohol problem and a cauldron full of demons, and wound up a controversial footnote in a dynasty.

We don’t know how much Kennedy was affected by her death, or what she’d have thought about arguably being a catalyst for the most successful Senate career in history. What we don’t know, as always, could fill a Metrodome.

Still, ignorance doesn’t preclude a right to wonder. So it doesn’t automatically make someone (aka, me) a Limbaugh-loving, aerial-wolf-hunting NRA troll for asking what Mary Jo Kopechne would have had to say about Ted’s death, and what she’d have thought of the life and career that are being (rightfully) heralded.

Who knows — maybe she’d feel it was worth it.

Feminism = Taking one for the men’s team

You guys really should look into your own souls on the Kennedy issue. When you turn up a dead, promising, young woman with a “bright future” associated with Breitbart and then have someone else positing that she might have thought that being drowned by Andrew in a car so that he could go on to have an illustrative career was worth it, then I’ll consider the two equivalent.

Teddy Kennedy was a POS.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Hey Ed, Allah, you’ve got to put up a Sheriff Joe/Obama BC thread.

Drudge has got it in RED LETTERS, and if not for Brietbart, it would be leading with a siren.

This is news.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

God is going to be shaking His head–He’s got AB, Reagan, Ben Franklin…oh my…

lovingmyUSA on March 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

You know, even taking all of *that* into account, I don’t care….

He left a woman to die horribly in a car – terrified and alone. But the people of Massachusetts kept sending him back again and again as if he was some anointed Baron of the Estate.

That alone earns him scorn forevermore. And for shame for those that put politics before basic human decency.

BlaxPac on March 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Ever heard the name Mary Jo Kopechne?

ProfessorMiao on March 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Teddy Kennedy was a POS.

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Outstanding comeback. Thank you.

ProfessorMiao on March 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I just got home from work so this is my first chance to comment.

I’m stunned.

Breitbart was probably class of 1987. I graduated in 1988.
That’s too young to die.
Andrew Breitbart was a huge voice for conservatism.
Don’t know what else to say.
*shakes head sadly. Looks at floor.*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Lance Murdock on March 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

The Mourners Kaddish.
Beautiful.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Hey Ed, Allah, you’ve got to put up a Sheriff Joe/Obama BC thread.

This is news.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM

HA hates the stories about Bammie’s eligibility, they have made that very plain.

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I should have added that I don’t believe even being a traitor will do it for you, considering Teddy was guilty of manslaughter, leaving the scene of his accident with Mary Jo, and telling lie after lie after lie about the incident, and that wasn’t enough for you. So, I wonder what it would take to make you believe that Teddy could fairly be seen as a villain…hmmm…ok, I think I got it! If Teddy had only thought about working with the USSR, and failed on the follow-through because he was afraid of being seen as a traitor… Knowing that the story had gone down that way instead of the way it actually did go – that‘s what it would take for you, right?

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Because birthers aren’t credible. Half-assed conspiracy theories aren’t how you win elections.
*Sorry for going off this very sad topic*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

*Sorry for going off this very sad topic*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hey, don’t be so quick to ridicule. There’s a lot of evidence that something is wrong, and your ridiculing it doesn’t help – it makes you part of a cover-up, should Arpaio’s investigation prove accurate.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Amazing to me is that Andrew was on a walk at midnight. He seems like the kind of guy who would need some security. He was a moving target. (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, he had heart problems.)

balkanmom on March 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM

RIP Andrew

A hero of the republic

WisCon on March 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM

For all of you crying foul play-I’m Breitbart’s age and I’ve been on anti-hypertensives since was in my 30′s. My problem is totally genetic. AB could have also had a genetic heart problem or BP problems brought on by the stress he was under…and being a guy he might have ignored it or minimized it.
*still looks sad*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

*still looks sad*

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Not to pry, but what genetic condition would make you have to take anti-hypertensives from such a young age?

If you don’t want to answer, that’s OK, too. Just curious. I like to learn things.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Combination of it running in my family…and an eating disorder. I’ve been on the pills since the summe before I turned 32.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Dang, did the filter get me again?

I just named an innocuous presciption drug my dad is on, and it got ate.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Best of luck with that. Maybe at some point you can figure out some regimen to ease off the medications. My dad’s been on some for a long time, and fighting that battle right now. But I know it can be difficult when your body doesn’t cooperate.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Resist We Much on March 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I remembered that there was a Carter incident, which I believe was about Afghanistan, but when I Googled ted kennedy traitor to find a link, I noticed the Reagan story I ended up using, which I had forgotten about.

“unbelievable” to decent people, yeah. I really, really, really hate Leftists, the cold, frozen ones who are hopped up over Breitbart’s death like they are every other time someone famous on the Right dies, so I’d be surprised by them today only if they weren’t celebrating and/or releasing their bile.

How I got over my ‘unbelievable’ period about the behavior of Leftists, and came to expect it: I’ve mentioned this before at HA, but I first realized how hopelessly depraved the Left was in America by their treatment of Reagan while they were showing little to no anger towards Castro at the same time. I then started thinking about the significance of that, and the pieces fell into place for me – Leftists don’t like nor care about people as people – people are merely objects to them – and they invariably want to be the ones in power, or they want to be completely taken care of by the ones in power.

Bizarro No. 1 on March 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM

dft2000
Monkei
freshface

These three will be banned soon. Mark it down. No rest.

Bmore on March 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Dang, did the filter get me again?

I just named an innocuous presciption drug my dad is on, and it got ate.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Yep, all that special stuff for men will cause your post to die in the filters. Misspell it badly.

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Lance Murdock on March 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

The Mourners Kaddish.
Beautiful.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I had no idea that AB was Jewish. None.
I grew up hearing the Mourner’s Kaddish.
Feel like crying now.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

BREAKING NEWS: It’s 11:00 am, Thursday, March 1, and Andrew has not risen from the dead … he is dead … the world continues to live on … yes, Bart is still stone cold dead. Enjoy the dirt nap.

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

This may be the most offensive comment I have ever read on Hot Air.

Management?

Clean-up on Aisle 5 -

STAT.

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

cane_loader on March 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Ban the effer!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Pretty sad that you would take the time to write that. AB said crude things about people right after they died. Have fun in the grave dancers clubhouse.

lexhamfox on March 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Monkei on March 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM

So, tell us monkei-boy…is your whole family trash, or are you just some sort of throwback? Did your mother ever try to teach you how to act like a normal human being…or were you just dumped out on the street to be raised by whomever happened along?

I’ll bet that everytime you post some of your vile garbage, you run back over to dkos or du to show the rest of the misfits what a daring little soul you are. Don’t you? Sure you do. You need the approval of your peers… and all of your peers are mired in sewage.
Monkei-boy, if it wasn’t for low class, you’d have no class at all.

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Oh, and monkei-boy………………….FOAD

Solaratov on March 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Andrew Breitbart: Fearless

I almost always take pause when someone famous passes away. My mind whirs while I begin thinking of everything (s)he did or said. It’s true about people I know, too.

But this came as a shock, plain and simple. Rarely has someone this relevant, this current, gone so suddenly.

AB crammed about 120 years of guts and work and lack of fear of confrontation into 43 too-short years. Honor to him. Condolences to his family and friends.

And everyone else is going to have to step it up a notch from now on.

bmmg39 on March 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM

lexhamfox on March 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Good job getting that in while sounding like you were busting on him. Lots of room on the dance floor I guess.

hawkdriver on March 2, 2012 at 12:29 AM

This is truly sad…it took some time for the news to sink in….do not live in the US any more and I dont follow news as instantly as i used to…

Saw it today on Instapundit first.My prayers go out to his family and close friends.

R.I.P. Breitbart

nagee76 on March 2, 2012 at 12:48 AM

To quote the great meditation by John Donne:
“No man is an iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee….”

I know the world is diminished with his passing. I also know that the world is better because he lived. RIP.

MomInLatteland on March 2, 2012 at 2:36 AM

How’s rosell19 these days?

Del Dolemonte on March 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Hah! I remember that one. A Troll for the Ages.
Impervious to repeated blows from the Cluebat.
Good times…

soundingboard on March 2, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Wow there’s a whole lot of posts missing from 10:09 to 11:09. I wonder what happened then? Did AP break out the banhammer?

dogsoldier on March 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM