Obama on Afghanistan: My apology for the Koran-burning calmed things down

posted at 8:20 pm on February 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

Skip to 3:30 for the key bit. I actually like this answer, even though the “calmed things down” bit is nonsense in the same way that the infamous “jobs created or saved” metric for the stimulus was. There’s no way to tell what would have happened without O’s apology. In fact, the riots went on for several more days after it was made public on February 23, punctuated by the murders of two U.S. officers inside the Interior Ministry in Kabul on Saturday, February 25. Would things have been worse if “only” Gen. Allen had said sorry? Who knows? But as I say, I like his answer — not for what it includes but for what it doesn’t. There’s no pretense here of being truly sorry for having offended Afghans’ cultural sensibilities or of apologizing because it’s the righteous thing to do. When asked, he says he did it to save lives, full stop. It was a means to an end. This is as close as we’re apt to get to an admission by O or his diplomatic deputies of the point I made yesterday, that the fulsome respect paid when Islam is insulted in a high-profile way has little to do with genuine sensitivity and everything to do with managing the death toll. If we’re going to have a global double standard on blasphemy, let’s at least be honest as to why. He’s a little more honest here than western politicians usually are. Now let’s see what he does on the not one, not two, but three separate investigations of the Koran-burning that are currently ongoing in Afghanistan. If the news reports of what happened are correctly, the guys who burned them are probably guilty of nothing worse than some form of negligence. How severely will they be scapegoated beyond that? Given that “sensitivity” now requires barring all non-Muslim U.S. troops from requesting a copy of the Koran from their military chaplain, I’m not optimistic.

If you have the stomach for it, go watch Scott Pelley put Gen. Allen and Ryan Crocker through the wringer for 11 minutes on Koran-gate. Since I lack the stomach, I’m not embedding it here. Exit question via Blackfive:

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mission accomplished!

Roymunson on February 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Thank you President Obama..

Electrongod on February 29, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Electrongod on February 29, 2012 at 8:24 PM

AND Obama say he was “a marketing executive” though his actual job was writing classified ads.

Oh, yeah, he “calmed things down,” all right. I’m overwhelmed by the gargantuon size of his megabrain and big bowing. Just huge, isn’t he?

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I can’t wait to see this piece of @$&? leave the white house

thedevilinside on February 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

The lesson is that If you want Obama to play nice and sweet with you, kill some people.

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Well this should do wonders for you street cred, Allah.

cynccook on February 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Meanwhile, does Obama know that Americans amid other human beings have lost their lives to the brutes (who are Muslim) in the rest of the world?

Calmed things down, only some beheadings. Yeah, right, calm all right.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM

“Calm” equals two officers getting shot in the back of the head?

Socmodfiscon on February 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Hey Barack:

In the words of my sainted Mother: “You’re nuttier than a fruitcake”!

Mr. Grump on February 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I can’t wait to see this piece of @$&? leave the white house

thedevilinside on February 29, 2012 at 8:25 PM

1,000,000 +

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Reminds me a a scene in the movie..Police Squad…
Fireworks going off and all.

Electrongod on February 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Only in a videogame

Conservative4ev on February 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

If it did anything at all, his pitiful gesture of weakness made things worse.

forest on February 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I would like Allah to apologize for this post. :)

catmman on February 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Osama’s “hey I calmed things down” is about as convincing as Holder’s “hey I stopped F&F”. Keep talking, Obama. Every time you open your mouth you solidify the GOP base against you in Nov.

On a side note, congrats to Hot Air’s Tina, as Drudge’s main story links to her story on Newt’s re-rise.

Weight of Glory on February 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Tell that to the families of the two dead officers. Do you think he will attend their funerals and tell them how much he calmed things down?

txmomof6 on February 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Lives saved or created
/with government mandated free contraception we can strike that last part.

Gwillie on February 29, 2012 at 8:29 PM

This latest bowing by Obama puts icing on the announcement to the world as to when he was going to remove US military from Afghanistan. Just a bit of an extra help to the Taliban from Obama, with a big kiss from one of their boys.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Obviously I meant to type “Obama” and not “Osama”.

Weight of Glory on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Thanks for saving the day, Mighty Mouse. They love us now.

chewmeister on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Obama’s “hey I calmed things down”…

This is Obama pouring salt into a national wound. He really likes this.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

His apology “calmed things down” in the same way that his “Cairo speech” brought democracy to the middle east.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Me thinks they are still all wee-weed up. Just Sayin’.

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Well, he certainly hasn’t apologized to the American people.

cynccook on February 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yeah Obama you calmed them down alright, now they want to put those soldiers on trial for the burning.

mixplix on February 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

It depends on what offends Americans the most. Obama likes to find whoever has been the most offensive to the USA and apologize to them. It’s the same thing as his wife running around in the White House without regard for the expensive furnishings: it’s all about how much “fun” they’re having entertaining themselves, making us mean ole Americans uncomfortable or at least, compromised in our patience.

You know the guy who keys your new car? That’s Obama.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Good thing I’m not President, I’d have our military contractors working overtime on developing a pig fat based gun lubricant and ammunition coating for all our Armed Forces’ firearms…Next up, a bacon filled MOAB…

I’m just sick of these Islamist neanderthal bastards…

Battlecruiser-operational on February 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM

That ^.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I’m just sick of these Islamist neanderthal bastards…

Battlecruiser-operational on February 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

DITTO. That includes sick of BO for the same reason.

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

this is gonna be good…..

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Meanwhile, out of the insane asylum, the “proper method of disposing of the Kuran is by burning it.”

Lourdes on February 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM

He did this at the same time he caused the planet to began to heal and the oceans ceased to rise…

d1carter on February 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Sigh. Can next Jan come to soon? Can we last that long?

Dingbat63 on February 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

DITTO. That includes sick of BO for the same reason.

I thought I covered The One under “Islamist neanderthal bastards”…I’ll be more specific next time…!

Battlecruiser-operational on February 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Really want to calm things down? UH-1 with a full load of napalm over the riots. Do I like it? Not really, but I have some hands-on with these situations (Somalia). One heartfelt apology is meaningful; any more are just an invitation…

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Let me explain why he apologized ……..

Barack Bah-rock
Hussein Hoo-sane
Obama Oh-bah-mah

fogw on February 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Not surprising that king RINO Allahpundit liked his answer.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

The 19 American’s who are being held hostage in Egypt?

JPeterman on February 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Among the available punishments are everything from demotions and discharge from the military to imprisonment.

Where is the punishment for the bibles burned by the military? It was done on purpose!! Not that i advocate punishment for it i’m just saying..Once again a extreme double standard when it comes to Islam and Christianity..Their shouldn’t be any punishment at all in this situation

And Obama..you seriously make me ill and are a disgrace to this country

sadsushi on February 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

What universe are we in this week? he economy is’ booming’, all females get unlimited birth control (and use them religiously), housing starts are the ‘best since creation’ and now the wee-weed up Pres rescues us from the neanderthals. Pass the bourbon.

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I’m just sick of these Islamist neanderthal bastards…

Battlecruiser-operational on February 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM

you would get my vote with those weapons! haha

sadsushi on February 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Its funny how the President speaks in communication terms as though Afghanistan is a civilized country that has mass communication ability. This episode may take months to go full circle, I doubt very seriously anything the President says now or later will make much difference.

DDay on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Obama on Afghanistan: My apology for the Koran-burning calmed things down

I’m betting this is a tipping point for Øbama’s approval ratings on foreign policy. This stinks on ice, so much that even many who have supported him will abandon him as a lost cause.

petefrt on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I know what was in the letter. O said he’d send Michelle over if they don’t knock it off. Hopefully that’ll work.

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

The MURDERS of Americans occured AFTER Obama’s apology!!!!

By the way, the sun rose in the East this morning…do I have to thank Obama for THAT too???

Justrand on February 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Jeebus… what a tool occupies the Whitehouse

roflmao

donabernathy on February 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I wonder if Mooooochelle is halal…

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Not surprising that king RINO Allahpundit liked his answer.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 29, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Yeah, that guy sucks.

Allahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Christians….

Hog Wild on February 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM

O/T – Occupier torches historic building – sets self on fire.

Is this in response to the koran burning, greek austerity or a 1% restaurant tip? I get so confused.

Lost in Jersey on February 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Obama listens to his generals when it comes to issuing apologies — but not when it comes to troop levels and withdrawal dates.

hepcat on February 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

That is at least acceptable. I was trying to save lives because we all know how these savages behave when you offend their sensibilities. I don’t agree with his need to appease them instead of mowing down murderous idiots, but I am ok with his reasoning.

Southernblogger on February 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Lost in Jersey on February 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Sorry to say, public education…

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM

This is one area Obama has been very consistent in. Appeasing muslims, never missing an opportunity to apologize to them, and pissing off Christians and Jews.

What a coincidence, huh?

BruthaMan on February 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Our secret weapon. The ultimate bunker buster.

Wanna blow up the underground mountain nuke site? Drop her down from a B47.

petefrt on February 29, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Allahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

LOL…

d1carter on February 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Obviously I meant to type “Obama” and not “Osama”.

Weight of Glory on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Gosh how could anyone make such a careless mistake …

^.^

cableguy615 on February 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My apology for the Koran-burning calmed things down

Calmed them down?…

Gohawgs on February 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Absolute moron….. still unbelievable that he is the POTUS. God save us from liberals.

ultracon on February 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ah,to be able to go through life making definitive statements that are totally unverifiable and quite possibly deliberately false, knowing that you’re extremely unlikely to be called on it.

That is to say, it must be nice to have severe malignant narcissistic personality disorder.

CorporatePiggy on February 29, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Obama on Afghanistan: My apology for the Koran-burning calmed things down

But not nearly enough so now you must turn yourself over as the one who bears ultimate responsibility to those noble people to be stoned.

VorDaj on February 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

DDay on February 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Nah, stuff gets around pretty quick around there. Some of my buddies brought back to the hooch some bootleg DVDs from the local market in Khost province near FOB Salerno and they were of movies that were released <1-2 wks prior. Stuff can move pretty quick, surprisingly

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Yeah, that guy sucks.

Allahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM

LOL They don’t want “Marianne” here, they want Madame Defarge…

cynccook on February 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM

oops blockquote fail.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

And all our generals must kiss beaucoup more korans. And then go just a little further than they already have and order all the troops to convert to islam.

VorDaj on February 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I’m sure Obama apologized to alqaeda and alzawahiri too,
after he ( supposedly :P ) ‘killed’ binladen.
That‘s why moozies have not rioted … yet

burrata on February 29, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Today he’s saving lives. Only a matter of time until he announces he has created lives.

- media swoons

fogw on February 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Obviously I meant to type “Obama” and not “Osama”.

Weight of Glory on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

The only difference between Osama and Obama is
BS

burrata on February 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I just want to say that it is SO wonderful having a metrosexual Commander-in-Chief apologizing for American forces in the field. We are no where near so sensitive and caring as the mujahideen of the Muslim world. I am just thankful that the Korans in question were only accidentally ignited. And I kneel alongside President Obama in praying that they do not kill us as a consequence. We are but simple Americans who sometimes go overboard in defending our own. Sorry.

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Perhaps if we offered sacrifices?

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

A lottery perhaps?

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM

They like stoning. We could stone the short straw.

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am strongly urging all Zionist and Christian forces who are supporting the infidel troops who desecrated and burned the Holy Qur’an to submit immediately. Otherwise, we will hold them responsible for their actions. Any attempt to fight the Islamic Holy forces of Allah is pointless. We are committed to putting all of the world under our jurisdiction. You cannot overcome the Islamic Holy Forces of Allah now that we have our brother, Imam Hussein Obama, in control of your country including it’s military. Any individual or group that tries to fight the Islamic Holy Forces of Allah will now be humiliated at the White House and then investigated by our brother Imam Eric Holder.. With the help of our brother, Imam Hussein Obama, the Islamic Holy Forces of Allah will easily overcome the infidel troops and their Zionist, Christian and HotGas stooges. Allah willing.

All reading this must also throw their full personal support as well as that of all of the internet behind the U.N. resolution passed in December of two years ago prohibiting defamation of Islam including making such defamation a crime under international law. You must all call for turning over to us all the troops who burned a Holy Qur’an for just punishment. You must also call for the expulsion of all Jews from Palestine so that Muslims can once again return to their rightful homeland there. You must also denounce all of the Crusades and demand that reparations be paid to Muslims and all the land in Europe that was stolen from them be returned. You must also agree to meet all of the demands that Muslims may make in the future. Allah willing.

The great dream of Islam will come true. Muslims dream to see flags that read: “There is no God but Allah” fluttering in the wind over the White House, the Pentagon, Downing Street, the Hague, the Temple Mount and Haram al-Sharif, and over HotGas, Allah willing.

DasObamaReich on February 29, 2012 at 9:17 PM

prohibiting defamation of Islam

Does whizzing in the parking lot of the local mosque count? ’cause I do that once or twice a week after my hockey games…

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

The title of this article: Beheadings Raise Doubts That Taliban Have Changed you don’t say? this would be funny if it wasn’t so barbaric

sadsushi on February 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for saving the day, Mighty Mouse. They love us now.

chewmeister on February 29, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Heeer I come to save the daaaaaay!
Thanks for the laugh was reading some of the comments to my hubby and we both broke out into song…

MontanaMmmm on February 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I can think of a way to calm the muzzies down. It involves a certain city where a certain mass murdering pedophile was born in 570AD… and megatons.

WhatSlushfund on February 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM

WOW, THE LIES ROLL OFF HIS TONGUE LIKE WATER OUT OF A FOUNTAIN!!

ARIZONAVETERAN on February 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM

prohibiting defamation of Islam

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I understand that is OK if you are pointed at Mecca.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

It’s opposite day right?

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Dear President Karzai. Long have you suffered. One can only imagine the bank account you have been left with for your efforts. Rest assured that the little people of Afghanistan appreciate your sacrifices. And if you can find it in your black Muslim heart, please forgive us, because we never meant you or the Afghan people, by and large, to suffer in any way for the tragic incidents in Washington, New York and rural Pennsylvania on September 11, 2001. It wasn’t your fault. It was just America’s chickens coming home to roost (as our president’s minister of twenty years put it). Anyway, please be careful during the upcoming military coupe that will accompany our withdrawal from you splendid little country, and do please pay us a visit if you ever develop a tricky tumor. We’ll be glad to cut it out for you, free of charge.

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

The two officers who were shot are certainly calmed down.

profitsbeard on February 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The clever response to this affair would be for America to accuse Muslims of “shirk”. That is idolatry in Islam. It is putting a material thing up for worship. Shirk is anathema for the Wahabbists who have been doing things in Soddy like converting Mohammeds mothers tomb into a public toilet so that she may not be worshiped which would be shirk. Their phobia about the sanctity of Mohammed should also be addressed as shirk. This accusation would stop them in their tracks. Do an Alinsky on them.

I doubt any Muslim american adviser would promote such an idea to those running the sinking ship.

BL@KBIRD on February 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

That last whiskey shot I downed made me more sober too.

NoDonkey on February 29, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

The family of US Border Agent Brian Terry?

slickwillie2001 on February 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When will he apologize to Americans for being a crappy president?

Because that’s long overdue.

NoDonkey on February 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Perhaps if we offered sacrifices?

minnesoter on February 29, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I believe the alleged perps are to be put on trial. That will serve your suggestion quite nicely and will have the sanctity of law.

BL@KBIRD on February 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I detest the SOB. Can’t wait until Jan ’12 and He and Moochelle are forced to watch an “R” sworn in and They get Their last govt free jet ride.

Dingbat63 on February 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Ha ha … this is perfect. Only a liberal nitwit like O’Bozo could believe such an idiotic thought.

Jaibones on February 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on February 29, 2012 at 9:54 PM

I’ll aim carefully next time…

affenhauer on February 29, 2012 at 11:16 PM

If the apology didn’t work, the new soccer field at Gitmo was the consolation prize.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 29, 2012 at 11:33 PM

You know what would really calm them down?
Crying and begging for forgiveness.
That’s how you get respect in Central Asia.

Kenosha Kid on February 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM

The clever response to this affair would be for America to accuse Muslims of “shirk”. That is idolatry in Islam. It is putting a material thing up for worship…Their phobia about the sanctity of Mohammed should also be addressed as shirk. This accusation would stop them in their tracks.

BL@KBIRD on February 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Strictly speaking, that’s not exactly true. ‘Shirk’ is the Arabic verb ‘to associate.’ The related word ‘Mushirkun’ is the Arabic word for ‘the associators’ or ‘those who associate.’ In an Islamic context, it applies to all non-Muslims, not just idol worshipers. Shirk is considered the most egregious offense in the Islamic system. The term represents a weird, round-about way of calling someone a non-Muslim. The idea is that a person who is guilty of shirk is guilty of ‘associating’ things with the one true god, Allah, with things other than Allah. So, for example, to a Muslim, a Christian would be guilty of shirk because they “associate” the idea of the “false” Christian concept of God with the one “true” god, Allah. Even an atheist (in a Western, secular sense) is guilty of shirk because they associate the idea of ‘nothingness’ with the idea of the one true god, Allah. It makes very little sense to a sane person, but this is how the musloids are hard-wired to think.

If we were to accuse them of shirk, we would not be accusing them of idolatry, we’d be accusing them of being non-Muslim. To which their response would be a blank stare followed by continued riots and beheadings.

Unfortunately, there is no ‘clever’ way to deal with Muslims. They are like robots programmed to do nothing but fight non-Muslims until the entire world is under totalitarian Islamic law. Literally, the only thing their ideology allows them to understand from non-Muslims is a demonstration of non-Muslim superior strength. That is the one time they are allowed, according to the Islamic doctrines, to chill out, and wait to fight another day. But that is exactly the opposite message we are sending them with these pathetic apologies. In other words, Obama is practically begging them to step up the attacks against us. How conscious he is of this, I can’t say for certain. But I err on the side of assuming he’s conscious of it.

WhatSlushfund on February 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

You must really have loved the Munich Agreement.

PackerBronco on February 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Is he just a compulsive liar or is he essentially insane and lives in his own bubble universe in which he can do no wrong??

EasyEight on March 1, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Imagine how calm things will get if he licks Karzai’s boots!

Well, he’ll wait until he’s reelected to do that.

Adjoran on March 1, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Who hasn’t he apologized to?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Little Kimmy Jong Un for one. Sounds like the Obama administration will get that chance now that North Korea’s hungry bellies need some more free food aid for mythical nuke concessions.

We have had “The Father of His Country”, “The Sage of Monticello”, “The Great Emancipator”, and “The Great Communicator”, now we are reduced to “The Great Apologist” scooting around in a Chevy Volt while singin’ the blues and drinking an algae shake.

AttaBoyLuther on March 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM