Obama campaign manager to Koch brothers: Disclose your donors

posted at 10:15 pm on February 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

He’s not ordering them to do it but he’s not politely requesting either. This cheap bit of intimidation is now front and center on Hopenchange’s official campaign blog and part of a call for petition signatures on Obama’s Twitter account. It’s the second time in five days that they’ve demagogued the Kochs to try to “energize” liberals. They pulled this on the Chamber of Commerce too before the 2010 midterms but that didn’t help them in the election because, really, who cares about the Chamber of Commerce? The Kochs are a much more conductive lightning rod for leftist paranoia. Presumably Team O will mess with them for a few months to warm up and then start screeching about Roger Ailes to really start Democrats buzzing.

I wonder which rich liberal the next Republican president should publicly harass as a cynical campaign gimmick. Start thinking of candidates. And don’t say Soros. Too easy.

The Kochs noticed. Their lobbyist in chief responded in an open letter to me. Here’s how he defended AFP, which is attempting to influence this election by pumping millions into ads bashing the President:

“… it has tens of thousands of members and contributors from across the country and from all walks of life.” Just a couple ordinary folks, pitching in what they can.

I’d like them to prove it. So I wrote back, challenging the Koch brothers—the same guys who recently called the 2012 election “the mother of all wars”—to disclose for the public exactly who’s behind the millions of dollars they’re spending on attack ads.

Join me and demand that the Koch brothers make their donors public.

That’s from Jim “Punch Back Twice As Hard” Messina. I’d forgotten that he was the apparatchik charged with discouraging Democratic upstarts from challenging establishment favorites in the primaries by offering them secret backroom deals. Luckily, David Freddoso remembered. So much for public transparency. More from DF:

If I had a line to the Kochs (and I do not), I’d suggest they respond this way: That they’ll release their donors names as soon as Obama voluntarily releases…

1) names, numbers and records for all small campaign donations under $200 — so that we can see how many of them are fake this time;

2) all paperwork related to Fast and Furious and Solyndra that might have been part of internal executive deliberations or otherwise merit some kind of withholding from FOIA under executive privilege.

3) while we’re at it, how about Obama’s college transcripts?

Jon Gabriel is right: The true target of intimidation here isn’t the Kochs, who can afford the lawyers and bodyguards they’ll need to deal with the new wave of left-wing hate this bottom-feeding pander will send their way, but grassroots conservatives and libertarians who are otherwise inclined to donate to right-wing political groups. If you want to cut a check but worry for reasons personal or professional about reprisals from people around you if they find out, then the prospect of the White House bringing public pressure to bear on an organization to disclose its donors will make you think twice. I hope the Kochs don’t take the bait. It wouldn’t reduce the demagoguery one iota if they did.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Buffet.

I’d craft a tax system just to get that weasel. He’s built his whole empire specifically to NOT pay taxes. The rates are irrelevant… what is relevant is the loopholes. And I’d specifically target the ones he’s using most Americans and even most corporations aren’t using.

That would flush him out into the norm of corporate america or even better main street america. I’m not sure if I would go through the whole thing if only because there might be unintended consequences. But I’d like to give him a good scare so he shuts the hell up.

Karmashock on March 1, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Look at who took campaign funds from Koch Industries, according to OpenSecrets: http://www.bluegrasspundit.com/2012/02/flashback-in-2008-barack-obama-joe.html

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM

So what even if Hussein “ordered” them to release it? He doesnt have that authority. Despite his pretentions Obama is not Emperor. Yet.

wildcat72 on March 1, 2012 at 6:28 AM

You, first, Mr. President.

Do as you want others to do.

Or shut the hell up.

ajacksonian on March 1, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Send in money orders.

docflash on March 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Tee Hee! Airball Øbama throws up another brick! What a gasbag!

ExpressoBold on March 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM

I understand the tactic but it is still irritating. Who the hell is Team Obama to demand anything of anybody considering how the jug-eared traitor has proven that “transparency in government” is just a slogan. Seriously, why would would the Koch brothers do anything on the basis of a petition signed by a bunch of America-hating liberals? And, let me be clear here, you can love and support America or you can support Obama and the radical left. There is no third choice.

Happy Nomad on March 1, 2012 at 7:51 AM

You, first, Mr. President.

Do as you want others to do.

Or shut the hell up.

ajacksonian on March 1, 2012 at 6:32 AM

The second one.

Happy Nomad on March 1, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Where do I donate? Moneybomb baby!

BacaDog on March 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM

This from the campaign that is giving out smart phones and SquareUp card taking devices?

So that people can give a gift card that can be swiped and the funds sent to the Obama campaign? Gift cards have no ID attached.

Well, I’m *sure* (cough, cough) that there will be some record of the donor. Straight from the nearby grave yard or theme park.

ProfShadow on March 1, 2012 at 8:16 AM

WHERE’S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE, AND WHO’S YOUR REAL DADDY YOU F’N PUNK!

GhoulAid on February 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Fail.

Not the correct way to deal with this.

Good Lt on March 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM

So what’s the over/under on the percentage of Obama voters that know Kochs’ position social issues, and how they compare/contrast to SCoaMF’s?

I’ll guess 15%. People this kind of third world thuggery appeals to just are not very bright people.

MNHawk on March 1, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Release the school transcripts first bucko.

Ukiah on March 1, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Does anyone have any statistics on how many jobs Koch companies provide in the US compared to jobs overseas?

earlgrey133 on March 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

And this.. http://twitpic.com/8qfi0k

reshas1 on March 1, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Pity the billionares

plewis on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Pity the billionares

plewis on March 1, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Pity those too much of cowards to just push their ideas, and instead have to act like a third world dictator.

I take it you’re on of the 85% that have no idea of what the Koch brothers stand for?

MNHawk on March 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Distraction..deflection. “Don’t look at me…look at them.

Mimzey on March 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Join me and demand that the Koch brothers make their donors public.

I thought the Koch brothers were the donors…

taznar on March 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

3) while we’re at it, how about Obama’s college transcripts?

You’ll see pigs and unicorns flying in formation above the White House before you’ll ever see those.

OK, maybe not the pigs as they are not halal.

CorporatePiggy on March 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Dear Mr President,

Pound sand.

Warmest regards,
The Koch Bros.

stevezilla on March 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hopefully the response was along the lines of: GFY you commie rat libtards.

Doomsday on March 1, 2012 at 11:06 AM

3) while we’re at it, how about Obama’s college transcripts?

Excellent list. I would add a fourth item: Stop abusing and drop all cases using the Espionage Act to attack government whistle-blowers.

gaius on March 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Place me on the , “I’ll show you mine if you show me yours first,” bandwagon!

Snitchmo on March 1, 2012 at 11:30 AM

The demographic that might jump on this band wagon, I’d have thought already on it. Things must be worse than we know.

jeanie on March 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Sending a check to AFP today. I will not allow my government to intimidate or threaten me. I will not bow down. I will not kneel. They want me? Let them come and get me.

natasha333 on March 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I thought the Koch brothers were the donors…

taznar on March 1, 2012 at 9:58 AM

That’s the first thought that came to my mind when I read this. You beat me to it.

totherightofthem on March 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Keep an eye on who’s coming and going out the White House’s back door. Set up a multitude of smart phone carrying warriors to sit in nearby DC coffee houses…. Point..record…upload.

We are at war…

Keep a real close eye on your registrar of voters offices in your districts as well…ACORN is not dead.

Transparency… what a novel idea Mr. President, you first.

ActinUpinTexas on March 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM

When will Obama disclose all his donors?

jqc1970 on March 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I’d like Barack to disclose his former cocaine dealer along with his college transcripts. But hey…Remember the whole ice water and Hell thing?

TruLevinian on March 1, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Koch brothers to Obama campaign manager: suck our d***s.
I know. But it’s a nice fantasy…

affenhauer on March 1, 2012 at 6:31 PM