Holder: I’m the guy who stopped Fast & Furious

posted at 12:10 pm on February 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

And … he’s also the Attorney General who was in charge when it was put into place, and the Attorney General who refused to provide Congress with documentation on Operation Fast and Furious until threatened with subpoenas and contempt, and the Attorney General who didn’t see fit to make any personnel changes after the ATF sent almost two thousand weapons over the border into the hands of the drug cartels.

What was Eric Holder’s point again? Oh, yeah, that he’s responsible:

A visibly frustrated Attorney General Eric Holder slammed the table when responding to a question about Operation Fast and Furious during a Tuesday budget hearing before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies.

“That was a fundamentally flawed program, fundamentally flawed,” Holder said of Fast and Furious. “And, I think that I can agree with some of my harshest critics that there are legitimate issues that need to be explored with regard in which the way Fast and Furious was carried out.”

“But, I think one thing that also has to be understood is that once this was brought to my attention” — Holder said before slamming his hand on the committee room table he was sitting at — “I stopped it. I stopped it.”

Count Darrell Issa among the unimpressed.  In the video clip above, Issa reminds Megyn Kelly that Holder’s DoJ made misleading representations to Congress that bordered on flat-out lies, and that the DoJ was touting Fast and Furious until the murder of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry exposed the program’s incompetence or worse when it came to accounting for the weapons.

Holder either was incompetent at responding to the Terry murder and Congressional inquiries into Operation Fast and Furious, or he has something to hide.  Either way, he doesn’t get credit for shutting down an operation that took place entirely on his watch that never should have taken place at all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What a CENSORED liar Eric Holder is. He’s an accessory to murder. 200+ times. Life in prison.

rbj on February 29, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I have no idea, but I do know that you guys come up with really cool names for your fake scandals.

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

He’s also the guy who put the kabosh on Bill Clinton’s bribes for pardon’s scandal.

Hey! This is fun!

MNHawk on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Furious?

Stupid

NoFanofLibs on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Book ‘em, Danno!

jb34461 on February 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

For us HA “old timers,” isn’t it amazing how that never grows old?

GrannyDee on February 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Eric Holder: I have the power to stop or start anything….that I know about.

Rovin on February 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Its amazing what people will stop, once they get caught.

portlandon on February 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

When your best defense is incompetence its time to go.

Speakup on February 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hey, we got caught so I stopped it.

darwin on February 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Poppycock

cmsinaz on February 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM

That’s like taking credit for not shooting your victim a second time.

Meric1837 on February 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM

When your best defense is incompetence its time to go.

Speakup on February 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Impossible … Holder is in charge of ensuring voter fraud goes on unabated. He must stay until after the election.

darwin on February 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

“Hey, I stopped killing women.”

-Ted Bundy

portlandon on February 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I think it’s both incompetence and an attempt to hide something.

Flange on February 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

For us HA “old timers,” isn’t it amazing how that never grows old?

GrannyDee on February 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

yeah really, Eric, I mean, c’mon guys, what’s there to get so worked up about ? It’s jus’ a fake scandal right?

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

But.. but… I thought he didn’t know anything about it?

faraway on February 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

he has something to hide

Don’t expect the MSM to get on this. Far as they are concerned, this never happened.

GarandFan on February 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

IOW, you guys should be thanking me.

Umm, no, Eric. Credit is something you give, responsibility is something that you take, not the reverse. That is leadership 101 for you holmes.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Translation: When the whole plan turned to horse manure and we realized how in over our heads we were, I pulled the plug.

CurtZHP on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Replace bho with gw and see how far this goes with msm. EH obviously is in over his head. Incompetence is not rewarded, except if you belong to a union. Obviously this tool of the administration is fighting for the rights(?) of illegal aliens. I guess if I am an anarchist, then my rights carry more weight than a law abiding citizen. At this point up is down and right is left. The leadership (lack there of) is so removed from reality that anything that comes across the news wire is so insane that it makes sense. It is expected to be incompetent. That is now the norm. So what an agent of the US was killed by a foreigner. No different than 9/11. What is the big deal? He deserved it. He is American and deserved to be killed; as all of us will be. The constant onslaught of lies is making the average American numb to reality. If our economy collapses and a foreign country invades, bho will be there with the red carpet, bowing to them. Sick puppy.

Molonlabe2004 on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

ONLY because the public was notified of it, you incompetent boob!

TX-96 on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Would any of the four so-called “candidates” be so kind as to promise swift and effective prosecution for anyone involved in Fast & Furious? Crickets in three, two, one…

Archivarix on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

How did he stop it if he knew nothing about it? If he’s so damn good at being an AG, is that telling me that he can stop what he doesn’t know is happening? Explain that to me libs…..

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

GarandFan on February 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I hope the family of Brian Terry sues. And demands someone is held accountable. They deserve that.

VegasRick on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Gonna be a race to the finish line. Can Eric hang in there till November? Almost has to. Scooter doesn’t dare dump him now. Terrible optics, plus that vulnerable down time in getting a new stonewaller in place. No, Eric has to ride that bronco for the full eight seconds.

a capella on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Earth to Darrell Issa ….so whats stopping you to impeach Obama and arrest Eric Holder?

grapeknutz on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

OK Stedman, my next question is who started it?

arnold ziffel on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

A visibly frustrated Attorney General Eric Holder slammed the table when responding to a question about Operation Fast and Furious

Twoof? You want twoof?! You can’t handle da twoof!

John the Libertarian on February 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Time to call the waaaaaaaaaambulance…!!!

Great defense: “I may have caused it…but hey, I stopped it!”

Tim_CA on February 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Agent Brian Terry was unavailable for comment.

Eric Holder, you are an evil liar. I look forward to the day you are frog marched out of your office and face the justice that has so eluded your victims.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hey! This is fun!

MNHawk on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

He’s also the upstanding citizen that pardoned the FALN terrorists. It’s sad that Dem voters -and the President- are OK with that.

The FALN was one of the most prolific terrorist organizations ever to wage war against the American people. They proudly claimed responsibility for over 130 bombings and incendiary attacks in the U.S. and Puerto Rico between 1974 and 1983, killing six and wounding scores.

The fact that Obama put Holder in the position he’s in tells me all I will ever need to know about this President, period.

visions on February 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Issa: All bark, no bite

faraway on February 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

why aren’t people awaiting trials over this mess? We have the players don’t we?

DanMan on February 29, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I’m to the point where it appears Issa is just grandstanding. Holder has already been caught lying, what more do you need to level charges? Dragging this on until eternity is just for show.

silvernana on February 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

The only thing Hold-em’ tried to stop were the Whistleblowers.

askwhatif on February 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Eric, surely you jest….. You argue and propose the manner in which it was carried out should be open for investigation? Pshaw. Really? Let’s include in there the authorization, the conception, the communication and the coordination. That would lead us to the root of the problem, wouldn’t it now, Eric….?

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Impeach Issa!!!

faraway on February 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

File under: “Leave Eric Holder Alone says Eric Holder”

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I said it on the headline thread. The best thing you can say about Holder is that he is incompetent.

He has a long history of corruption in the DOJ, going back to the Marc Rich pardon and the Puerto Rican terrorist pardons in his first stint there. He is probably the most corrupt attorney ever to disgrace the office of the Attorney General. He is a political tool, a liar, and a racist.

His defects of character were well known when he was confirmed. Hell, he perjured himself during the confirmation hearings. Every Senator who voted to confirm him shares responsibility for his perversion of the DOJ.

novaculus on February 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Eric Holder not only knew about the voter intimidation by the Black Panthers in Philadelphia there was video of them threatening white voters during the 2008 elections. He and his filthy department decided that blacks can get away with this kind of thing. It was then, days into the current administration that I knew Holder was a corrupt and evil human being more interested in partisanship than justice.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Agree faraway

Nothing has happened

cmsinaz on February 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Holder.

Coward.

Period.

coldwarrior on February 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi, DOJ Blog Readers,

Hows tricks,,,,?

We are sure this will not be relayed to Eric Holder as has nothing else been told to him ever, he just sits and looks at him mirror.

We are on your trail, all the false sign you leave is not that good.

Your correct, we are just a rabble of unknown Americans.

Your correct, you have the DOJ and the courts to hide behind.

But of few of U.S. even old sick men with canes to walk with and
cancer to boot have your ass in a trap, so your not so smart after all.

Cheers,

Hi, from the unknown land out here in fly over country.

The many,, the proud.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Liar. Liar.

¿snoıɹǝs os ʎɥʍ

carbon_footprint on February 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I once knew a guy that would slash tires so he could get more calls for tows or tire changes at his shop a few blocks away. Same thing, IMO.

goflyers on February 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Have you stopped beating your wife?

agmartin on February 29, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Therein lies the rub, Eric. What in there would you like to take some credit for? The misleading representations, the flat out lies, the touting of the program? How about the murder, would you like some credit for that? How about the incompetence and “under the radar” approach of the program?

Brian Terry’s blood cries out from the sands in Arizona for Justice, and Justice is going to come.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

ROMNEY with a SIDE of PAUL!

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Keep pushing him Mr Issa, the square I bought in the pool is the date that Holder has a total foot stomping hissy fit.

waterytart on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

He’s learned from his master,

Note the comments he made “Unlike other Attourney Generals, I stopped it when I found it.”

i.e. “Blame Bush. If he was president this would still be happening.” Reality of course, shows a difference.

The_Livewire on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Gee ain’t he wonderful. When he learned about thousands of guns being sold by agents to Mexican cartels for murder (without tracking) he stopped it. Genius!

He also went into lying, foot dragging, ass covering mode for himself and Obama who most likely started the operation. He’s just hoping enough people are stupid. Anyway, Obama’s robotic voting blocks don’t really care.

Chessplayer on February 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Scandal is getting caught breaking into the opposition party’s headquarters.

TREASON is arming Mexican drug cartels so that they can murder Mexicans and Americans on the border, with the intent to subvert the Constitution to infringe on the 2nd Amendment.

True justice will only be done if Holder is executed for treason.

Article III Section 3
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

dominigan on February 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

When the law is against you, argue the facts;

When the facts are against you, argue the law;

And when the law and the facts are both are against you, pound the table.

logis on February 29, 2012 at 12:37 PM

What a POS.

nuff said.

HumpBot Salvation on February 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Yeah, I stopped that thing I didn’t know was going on. Yeah, yeah, that’s the ticket.

talkingpoints on February 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Holder is so full of ca-ca his eyes are brown.

sandspur on February 29, 2012 at 12:40 PM

A man is known by the company he keeps:

Obowma, Mark Rich, drug trafficers, Hillary 900 stolen FBI files Clinton, drug gangs, muslim brotherhood felons which Holder let off the hook, BJ Clinton the serial molestor…….

dthorny on February 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Unbelievable hubris.

tom daschle concerned on February 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The Clinton and 0bamessiah administrations have had an unbelievable number of “Hey, could someone please explain to me how anyone thought I was qualified for this job in the first place?” losers in their cabinets, so it’s pretty much impossible to say who’s been the most inept individual overall (think back about the whole string of them for some serious chuckles!), but damn, Holder is proof that overusage of words like “idiot” and “moron” sadly lessens their impact when directed at people like him, who are the ones those labels should be reserved for – I cannot emphasize enough how truly stupid he is, can I?.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM

That is when Issa should have asked Holder, “do you want a medal or a chest to pin it on?”

We know that Holder’s outburst was planned. But why? Does the administration thinks it will face real trouble on this issue before the election? I think it’s much more wily than that.

Crispian on February 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM

We touted the program, I authorized it and then saw to it that it happened. Subsequently, 1000+ guns were sold from US dealers to Mexican cartels who then transported them south across the border where 2x US agents and 200+ Mexicans were killed. It was only after I denied knowing a damn thing about it until I was grilled by Mr. Issa and failed to release a lot of information on F&F that I claimed to have heard anything about it so, I stopped it.

This is what he is claiming credit for, while ignoring all of the preceding facts.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The guy in the caption photo behind Holder to his left seems to be amused at the claim too.

moo on February 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

For us HA “old timers,” isn’t it amazing how that never grows old?

GrannyDee on February 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

And I think we used it too much. We used it so much, crr6 no longer posts her drivel on HotAir. Think of all the stupid potential quotes that we will never be able to use against her and her Obama sycophants.

PrettyD_Vicious on February 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM

crr6 on July 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM

For us HA “old timers,” isn’t it amazing how that never grows old?

GrannyDee on February 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Crr6 could always provide a bright spot of humor in an otherwise dull day.
There’s just nothing like a dedicated lib/leftist to laugh at.

Good times. Good times.

Solaratov on February 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Has anyone seriously looked at what Mexican Laws were broken by F&F?
Obama can’t Pardon him south of the border.

meci on February 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hello… Pardongate? Everyone forget that Janet Reno’s boy was a reliable pimp for Presidential-pardons-for-sale?

So he set up and delivered the talking points on gun control based on a program he designed to deliver the “evidence” needed to support those talking points… and he got caught… but not until after hundreds of Mexicans were killed with his guns. Not until after Americans were killed with his guns. Not until DEA agents died, gunned down by Holder/Obama supplied weapons.

Then he implemented his new ‘gun control’ rules on the very gun dealers he forced to sell those guns.

Holder should be in GITMO alongside the terrorists he used to represent.

DANEgerus on February 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM

” … Holder said before slamming his hand on the committee room table …”

Wait.a.minute

In what world does that wussy side of the hand touch to the table top count as slamming his hand?

He might have cracked a Saltine cracker if he hit it right – but where I come from a hand slamming on a table is done with enough force to make people wince from the sound of it.

Just sayin’

PolAgnostic on February 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Until Issa holds Holder in contempt, or until criminal charges are filed, the whole exercise is only window dressing.

Mr. Grump on February 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

meci on February 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

If Mexican authorities conducted an extraordinary rendition of Holder that would be fine by me.

Crispian on February 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

I think one thing that also has to be understood is that once this was brought to my attention, I stopped it.

that’s a flat out lie

Once? Dude, how many emails hit your inbox and went unacknowledged? Don’t use the word “once” if it doesn’t mean one, single, solitary time. You failed to acknowledge that you even knew about it, despite it being brought to your attention far more times than “once”.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Mr. Holder seems to be attempting a plea bargain.

He admits guilt to misfeasance, with a minor or no penalty, in order to dodge more serious charges of nonfeasance or malfeasance. Keep pressing, Senator.

Confutus on February 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Start,stop–only matters if you get caught.

jeanie on February 29, 2012 at 1:00 PM

i’ll have whatever he’s drinking.

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Crispian on February 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Hmmm… Holder, Mexican jail… it has a nice ring to it.

ghostwalker1 on February 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM

“I am not a crook”.

DaveDief on February 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Oops, Congressman, not Senator. Of course the Senate isn’t going to touch this.

Confutus on February 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

He’s learned from his master,

The_Livewire on February 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Too bad no one presses 0bamessiah, who usually has shown no reluctance to copy GWB’s behavior on other issues, on why he hasn’t acted nobly and tried to get Holder to do what Ashcroft did during Plamegate, which was to recuse himself in order to allow an independent investigation in the name of avoiding even the slightest appearance of a conflict of interest.

The GOP could embarrass 0bamessiah so easily in so many ways if they’d use their heads better.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 29, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Be reasonable Eric, no reason to be so….violent… What is it about you libs that you have to be so scary and violent?

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

GarandFan on February 29, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Generally, I agree with the blanket statement. But,in this case, CBS Cheryl Atkisson has done a fairly admirable job, considering who her bosses are…

hillsoftx on February 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Holder gives meerkats a bad name.

Federal Prison: It’s in your future.

petefrt on February 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Has anyone seriously looked at what Mexican Laws were broken by F&F?
Obama can’t Pardon him south of the border.

meci on February 29, 2012 at 12:50 PM

…or for state charges, thus our interest in an independent investigation in Arizona and other states.

slickwillie2001 on February 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

So, in other words, Mr. Holder, you had no idea what was going on in your Justice Department? People were running guns to Mexico, facilitating Mexican drug cartel murders of innocent Mexicans, and finally when an American Border Control Agent was murdered and the public outcry became so great that you looked up from the pr0n on your computer (or whatever it is you do all day besides read your memos and emails) realized that something was up and You Stopped It! Right then and there?

Is that it Mr. Holder?

Lily on February 29, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I’m thinking he wouldn’t be so upset if he wasn’t so scared. I know its wrong but I wish some hacker would liberate the DOJ’s F&F files.

magicbeans on February 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Now you’ve done it Ted… we might not have the wisdom of crr6, but libtard4life will be coming out of the closet in 5…4…3…

VietVet_Dave on February 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Holder must be under the impression that he was ever trusted by the public, and that he is somehow above any suspicion of wrong doing. It’s all those evil republicans and independents clinging to their guns and bibles, damn them.

I’m not religious at all, but I really, really do wish there was a hell. This whole administration would pack it full, leaving the rest of us baddies to seek shelter elsewhere after death.

Wolfmoon on February 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

“as soon as I realized this was the biggest scandal in the history of the United States, and this Administration was in deep shit, I stopped it.”

kirkill on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Brian Terry is the one who stopped F&F Mr. Holder. You could only make your clam if you were the trigger man. Essentially, you were.

rocker98 on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“Now that I stopped it, can we now repeal the 2nd amendment?”

kirkill on February 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I think it’s both incompetence and an attempt to hide something.

Flange on February 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Hey, I was going to say that…

climbnjump on February 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Eric Holder longs for the days of his youth. Back when he could do real life imitations of Leave it to Beavers’ Eddie Haskell and the grown-ups just thought it was the cutest darn thing and would tend to forget what it was they were even upset about.

FlatFoot on February 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Wolfmoon on February 29, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’m sure all of us who find BO and Holder to be untrustworthy are simply racist at heart. So it’s our fault, not theirs.

/s (in case you couldn’t tell…)

climbnjump on February 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

…and to think I liked this guy when he was on Barney Miller.

M240H on February 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

We used it so much, crr6 no longer posts her drivel on HotAir.

Resurrected as idiot4life?

freedomfirst on February 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

“…once this was brought to my attention [and I was going to be held responsible for it] I stopped it…”

sadatoni on February 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Prison for this lying weasel is the answer.

profitsbeard on February 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

For us HA “old timers,” isn’t it amazing how that never grows old?

GrannyDee on February 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I was just thinking the same thing Granny!

JusDreamin on February 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

grapeknutz on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Two things that dangle. Holder is a liar. Worse he is part of the conspiracy that caused Agent Terry’s death and the deaths of a couple hundred Mexican nationals.

Zero is also part of the conspiracy as is his puppet master Valerie. Probably Emmanuel is involved too.

But this will drag out forever and in the end nothing will happen to these corrupt criminals because our system of government is completely broken. We are no longer a nation constrained by the rule of law.

dogsoldier on February 29, 2012 at 2:32 PM

grapeknutz on February 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Nothing. They could impeach them both tomorrow, and still no hearings will be held.

The only person out of this mess that faces any sort of jail time is Holder himself…and he’s already taken his oath of Ometra…

Besides, what does he have to fear? The President (knowingly or not) isn’t going to throw him under the bus (yet). The MSM & WH Press Courtesans aren’t gonna make waves, and Congress is split during an election year.

All Holder has to do is stall. Buy time until the election rolls around. If Obama loses, there’s nothing that won’t say he’ll pass out Executive pardons like cigars at a baby shower…who’s gonna stop him?

If he wins, same thing, or at the very least, he’ll allow Holder to “step down”…

If Issa & Co. have something solid, they need to run with it now: lay the case out in Prime time, and make it stick; because anything less ain’t gonna mean s*it.

BlaxPac on February 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM