Bristol Palin to star in her own reality TV show, “Life’s a Tripp”

posted at 4:50 pm on February 29, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Lifetime announced today that it will air a 10-episode reality TV series about Bristol Palin’s life as a single mother. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Focusing on the former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin‘s daughter’s life as a single mother with son Tripp, the series will follow the young Palin’s new life in her native Alaska after brushes with fame on Dancing With the Stars.

“From the first moment she was thrust into the public eye, Bristol and her son have been the subjects of a huge amount of curiosity and misunderstanding,” said Rob Sharenow. “This show will reveal the real Bristol Palin and her journey as a daughter, a mother and a young woman making her way in the world.” …

Though immediate news of the series doesn’t reveal how much of the Palin clan will appear in the docuseries, a release said it will focus on the close relationship she holds with her parents and siblings.

You gotta hand it to Bristol: She’s “not afraid of life,” as the title of her book puts it. From DWTS to her book to this reality series, she’s comfortable in the spotlight.

Like any unwed teen mom TV show, though, this series has the potential to glamorize single motherhood, and I’m not sure I can applaud that. Bristol Palin’s situation is unlike the vast majority of single moms. To put it baldly, she’s famous and increasingly rich, with plenty of resources at her disposal to ensure she has everything she needs to take care of Tripp. For most single mothers, life is not a trip. It’s particularly difficult. Consider just one fact: Poverty rates are much higher for single mother families than for other households. No show — no matter who it stars — should make light of the challenges of single motherhood. Even women who have made it work caution against the difficulty.

Then again, maybe Bristol will use this opportunity to bring her abstinence message to a wider audience. That I could get behind.  Nothing to do but wait and see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Tina, your PDS is making an arse out of you again…

ChuckTX on February 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Yep, but then again the PDS garbage coming from self-described “conservatives” has always been indistinguishable from the tripe you read at DU or the WaPo comments sections. Scratch a Mittbot/Paultard, find a lib.

ddrintn on February 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Oh, ddrintn, waited until he thought it was safe to go back into the water.

Let’s get somethings straight:

1. I have NEVER described myself as a “conservative.” I am a libertarian. If you want to know why, you can start by reading Hayek’s “Why I Am Not A Conservative.”

2. I do not hate Sarah Palin or her family. I do not have PDS. Palin was the only thing that made the McCain ticket remotely palatable. That doesn’t mean that she is immune to criticism or perfect. That doesn’t mean that I want her to be POTUS now.

3. I loathe Ron Paul and even though I am a libertarian, I can’t wait for him to retire. Paul Pot and the Paulistinians give libertarianism a bad name. Paul Pot is a racist, homophobic, anti-semitic, conspiracy-pushing, old coot that “pals around with and benefits monetarily from other racists, homophobes, anti-Semites, conspiracy theorists, and nutters.

4. I have been doing op research on Mitt Romney for over a year and have tied him to George Soros. To be fair, I have done such research on most of the candidates. I was one of the people that sank Newt’s battleship in Iowa because I know of his progressivism. I found the goods on him and made sure that the material got into the hands of the best delivery systems. I can also tie Ron Paul to Soros.

5. You can convince yourself that I am an establishment, big government Republican that hates Sarah Palin, but I am quite the opposite. When it comes to fiscal issues, I make Sarah Palin look like Karl Marx.

So now after all this time you finally realize what I was referring to. Can we say slow… Or just your lame attempt to hide what you posted earlier. idesign on February 29, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Yeah, genius, because the way to get people to understand to what you are referring is to refer to something completely off topic.

“I am going to direct you to your 6:37 PM post and even post portions of it, but I really mean your 5:28 PM and I’m not going to tell you. People like me, when we wear our tinfoil hats and use our double-secret decoder rings, understand these things. Too bad if you can’t!” – So sayeth idesign

It would be like me criticising the Chanel Printemps collection by firing off a letter to the CEO of Caterpillar. Obviously, Karl knew I was referring to him!

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Finally we can get back to the good ole days.

MeatHeadinCA on February 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM
+ 100..:)

PS..Do you want to sound the horn or should I??..:)

Dire Straits on February 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

If ya’ll are going to do that, we’ve got to bring Gov. Perry back:-)
Oh, maybe not. Chudi couldn’t take both of them on one thread, LOL

bluefox on February 29, 2012 at 9:36 PM

It’s no walk in the park for single dads either…

… Just sayin’.

Seven Percent Solution on February 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

I would think it would be much more difficult. Easier for mothers because it comes naturally:-)

bluefox on February 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

What Tina is trying to say is….Bristol needs government-financed contraception.

;-)

KirknBurker on February 29, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Tina Korbe you are an embarassment. The folks at Conservatives4Palin are right about your snarky attitude towards Sarah Palin, now it is her family. You are a CLOSET LIBERAL. I can see the closet liberal burried beneath the snarky of a Romneybot. Tina Korbe you are No Michelle Malkin. You are a disgrace to her name! Tina Korbe is a Disgrace!

CoolChange80 on February 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Huh? She’s clearly in the bag for Santorum, and while note a Liberal, she falls into that category of Social Conservative that has commonalities with Progressive in the dangerously didactic manner in which they approach their ideology, which is equally as infringing, only with a different moral agenda.

Agree she’s no MM though.

contrarytopopularbelief on February 29, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Now, having said that, if I had the opportunity to counsel Bristol, I would advise her to skip reality television and other cheap outlets, go to college, be a good mum, and make a good and successful life for herself and her child.

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

See, I’d tell her the opposite – fleece the suckers and then go to school and do what makes her happy and not have to worry about paying the rent.

I do understand what you are saying about the dumbing down (which I didn’t include). We have a myriad of problems and people only care about phoning into DWTS or American Idol.

Having said that, it will take awhile to get out of a position that has had 40+ years to fester. In the meantime, why not wish the best for her and let her make her money and get out. She has earned it for the vitriol she has had to go through by no fault of her own by being Sarah Palin’s daughter.

kim roy on February 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

kim roy on February 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I do wish the best for her. I hope that she makes a tremendous amount of money. My problem is with reality television and the cheapening and coarsening of the culture, along with the dumbing down of American society. I believe reality television, as with the Jerry Springers, Geraldos, Sallys, etc., of the 80s and 90s, that have become almost the equivalent of crack, but with the clean drug test. Parents are always told not to let television be their children’s babysitter, but television babysits the parents, too.

I would counsel Bristol against doing reality television just as I would anyone else. I would also tell young girls not to post foolish pictures of themselves of Facebook, post nude you tube videos, or do other things in the media or social media that could haunt them for the rest of their lives. That’s just me. I am not a mum, but I guess I think of my niece and the girls that I’ve counseled and believe that education is better than exploitative television. I just find it cheap, embarrassing, and classless. But, that’s me.

Bristol is an adult. She can make her own decisions. I wish her well. I just hope that she doesn’t live to regret this decision.

That’s my position on the entire issue despite what others have attempted to say. I do not hate the Palins.

‘Nite.

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m posting this info on some HA threads in case some may not be aware of this.

I have just become aware of Google’s new Privacy Policy eff 3/1/12.
Haven’t finished reading it yet, but you may want to and take steps needed.

There may be other links, haven’t found out yet. Will post them if so.

bluefox on February 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

bluefox on February 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Just because something is in Hollywood Reporter, which has been one of the latest portals for Game Change, doesn’t mean it’s true, of course I’m sure you missed this detail otherwise it would have been
a thread topic;

Besides considering the ‘thighgate’ fracas at CPAC, wouldn’t discretion have been the better part of valor.

narciso on February 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Or we could have gone here;

hespeechatimeforchoosing.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/fox-news-poll-sarah-palin-the-overwhelming-choice-if-a-brokered-convention-occurs/

but it is the typical method of this site, to pick the least substantial elements, whenever possible, of what she has to offer.

narciso on February 29, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Tina manages the language well, didactic impressions notwithstanding. She gave me ‘soteriology’, one of the two substantive christian terms of relatively recent acquaintance (‘subsidiarity’ from a writer at NRO being the other).

Her point regarding the potential for young Bristol to counter the prevailing media advocacy of sex without consequence is salient. The hue and cry over a scheduled Washington University speech on abstinence by Ms. Palin last year resulted in it’s cancellation. The testimony of a Georgetown student requesting financial support for recreational carnality was virtually celebrated (though one doubts her parents were thrilled).

Being as big a fan of the “Princess Warrior” as anyone here, and contending that this isn’t an instance for us to vent.

wolfsDad on February 29, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Tina Korbe you are an embarassment. The folks at Conservatives4Palin are right about your snarky attitude towards Sarah Palin, ………… Tina Korbe is a Disgrace!

CoolChange80 on February 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Oh no………Tina, Tina, quick, over here. Behind the wall, ok, ok, looks clear, ok, now run north, as fast as you can, I’ll distract em….. run….run….RUN!!!!!

DoubleClutchin on February 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I hate “reality” TV. It’s more than a waste of brain cells to watch it, it DESTROYS brain cells.

Bristol would be a better example for her son if she finished her education and got a real job that had meaning.

Common Sense on February 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Should we contact the authorities? Were you compelled at gunpoint to click on a thread that clearly had Ms. Palin’s picture on it?

Cindy Munford on February 29, 2012 at 5:39 PM

No, I was not. But come on.

Jaibones on February 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I’ve felt much the same way of the Hunger Games, that are laughingly called a primary set up, moderated by the media.

narciso on February 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Bristol is OK but Willow is really hot. Stay tuned, the best is yet to come.

devan95 on February 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I enjoyed Palin’s Alaska series but couldn’t stand the kids. Pol kids tend to play a low level blackmail, similar to the manipulations performed by step kids, and kids of divorce

Power breeds manipulation, and when a child wields power, it isnt pretty

Worst part is the benefits bestowed on someone who would otherwise not warrant the attention. It comes across as unmerited.

I wish they would leave political families to photo ops, but it is too tempting to sucker and use the vanity of the unschooled

entagor on February 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

CoolChange80 on February 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Conservatives “4″ Palin (I like their Toys’R'Us style name, very fitting with Palin’s own intellectual level) is a rightwing, much more cultish version of media matters. What other website to you know that maintains a list of “enemy bloggers”. LOL Palinistas, you guys are the most pathetic idiots the world of politics has seen in a good long while. You even make the Obama d-bags seem reasoned and professional.

Daikokuco on February 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You’re a self described libertarian, huh?
You sure like to tell others how to run their lives. How come?

katy the mean old lady on February 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Well this site was an unintentional inspiration for the two founders of C4P, a little more of an aggregator on topics of note, including
misperceptions of her record.

narciso on February 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM

You’re a self described libertarian, huh?
You sure like to tell others how to run their lives. How come?

katy the mean old lady on February 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM

No, I wouldn’t presume to tell her how to live her life. I would offer her my advice, as I have done with hundreds of young women in various programmes with which I have worked.

I am very grateful for the mentoring that I received from both men and women of achievement, grace, class, and wisdom over the years. I didn’t always listen to them, but I usually came to learn that they were correct. If I could save one woman from making some of my mistakes, I would certainly try.

It would only be my two cents for what it would be worth and she could do whatever she wanted with it.

Now, tell me, what is your position on drug legalisation, SSM, and a whole host of other social issues upon which I find that many conservatives just love to tell people what they may or may not do?

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 11:50 PM

‘Nite.

Resist We Much on February 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I can’t disagree with you in much of what you said. It panders and encourages people not to think. It shows and celebrates people at their worst. It (television in general) seems to have dumbed down people, but whether the blame can be solely on the electronic teat is debatable.

For someone who is never going to have a “normal” life, I would suggest she do what she is doing – cash out and get her future set. She’s always going to be in the fishbowl to a certain extent as someone’s always going to be watching and waiting for her to fail in some manner. If she goes to college, someone’s going to be blathering at her about something, some opportunist waiting to “get her”. If she flunks out, she’s a retarded hillbilly like her mother.

Because of that I’d tell her the opposite – get while the getting’s good, set yourself up and then enjoy your life. It’s not like she has obscurity to go back to.

Have a good night.

kim roy on March 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Daikokuco on February 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM,
Spoken like an Obamadrone or Romneybot,not much difference these days.

CoolChange80 on March 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Daikokuco on February 29, 2012 at 11:30 PM,
Kos kiddie?

CoolChange80 on March 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM

fleece the suckers

kim roy on February 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Like mother like daughter. Palinclown cultists are the biggest suckers on the planet.

nottakingsides on March 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Sounds like a trashy show to me….

Sherman1864 on March 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

WTF? The mere mention of the name “Palin” brings out the worst in people.

Bristol Palin is a grown woman. She can do what she wants.

darwin on March 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM

CoolChange80 on February 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Deep breath.

If this is what spending a lot of your time hanging at a Palin sycophant site does to people, then maybe you should put down the mouse and go enjoy real life for a while.

Go take a walk.

Good Lt on March 1, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Lurker and and ex-Dem and Palin supporter here. One of the things that draws me to support Sarah Palin is her resilience and work ethic and her attitude that no honest labor is beneath her.
If you watched SP’s Alaska you would see how she tries to convey that to her kids.
Bristol was handed a lemon called Levi and now her life revolves around securing Tripp’s future. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
I don’t like it when people sneer at how other people try to earn money. If it’s honest and doesn’t hurt anyone then what’s the problem? The whole idea that the money earned from reality tv is less worthy than the money earned from, say, a investing in a hedge fund, seems rather undemocratic to me.

votermom on March 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM

A show about how “hard” it is to be a single mother who commands tens of thousands of dollars per speaking fee? To talk about the importance of “abstinence?” Cry me a river.

libfreeordie on March 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

fleece the suckers
kim roy on February 29, 2012 at 10:18 PM
nottakingsides on March 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM

To mama is the biggest sucker on the Planet bar none except your longest running porn stars

Plus she’s out of scotch

Get some

She wants the cheap stuff of course

Sonosam on March 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I feel sorry for that kid being put on television like this. He can’t very well give his consent to this.

I wonder if attention-seeking runs in the Palin family.

It seems that the Palins got a taste of Hollywood, and now they are addicated.

bluegill on March 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

libfreeordie on March 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Lest you forget … people who earn money pay taxes that feed insatiable entitlement programs. In 2011 every cent of income tax went to entitlement programs … every cent.

You should be happy Palin is earning money to feed your nation killing programs.

darwin on March 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM

bluegill on March 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Hey Mittwit, answer me this….

idesign on March 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I will be sure to DVR this. It should be nothing short of transcendental.

CorporatePiggy on March 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Palins. The Republican Kardashians.

Bristol Palin can ride around in her Mom’s bus for the show. It’s not being used to dupe anybody right now.

Moesart on March 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Moesart on March 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hey Mitwitt, Sarah Palin’s oldest son Track, will be serving his second tour of duty in Afganistan. Why haven’t any of Mitt Romney’s five sons ever served their Country?

idesign on March 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Amazing the people who hate Palin and her family that post (and write articles) here…

ChuckTX on March 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Bristol is SOOOOO hot….. and to have Sarah as your mom in-law???

Ohhhhh yes!

KMC1 on March 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I did enjoy watching her mother’s show, it showed a lot of things about Alaska and it’s people that I didn’t know that much about, but a show about Bristol and her son just doesn’t sound that interesting. And now will come the unending assault from the media, leftwing blogs and David Letterman, been there done that don’t want to do it again.

oregano on March 1, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I like Sarah Palin–I’ve been a supporter of hers since 2008 and I’ve taken her side many times. However…I want Bristol to go away yesterday. I want to like Bristol, but I have this thing where if you are a “reality TV star,” you automatically start out with a likability deficit with me–let’s say -40 pts. I just don’t like reality TV stars, it seems like the ultimate arrogance. Even if I had a life that was interesting enough, I would be loathe to have someone pay me to record it. This is also the reason I don’t like having my picture taken and I am not one to expect others to celebrate my birthday–it just seems so self-centered.

I would say the Palins started out with a +100 score from me–I thought they were great four years ago, probably even two years ago. But now, with this being the THIRD reality show for them to participate in, they are now at -20. The bitterness of the disappointment I feel in Sarah Palin–whose star started out so bright and promising and has fallen all the way down to be seen alongside the Kardashians–is pretty intense.

Polynath on March 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Bristol is SOOOOO hot….. and to have Sarah as your mom in-law???
Ohhhhh yes!
KMC1 on March 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Yes, Bristol IS . . . . . . also, up in Alaska I believe having the Iron Dog Champ for a dad-in-law would count for more. : )

(no, I’m NOT degrading Sarah)

listens2glenn on March 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Polynath on March 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM

How many networks, producers, and/or sponsors have you addressed with your grievance?

That’s the only way you’re going make Bristol “go away.”

Bristol’s not going to ‘quit the public eye’ on her own, as long as it’s her best source of income.

listens2glenn on March 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

The Romneybots get together and have an Idiot Convention in every Palin related thread. The Romneybots like Moesart try to show us how stupid they are. I didn’t see Jailbreak or csdeven in this thread, hopefully they got tossed.

CoolChange80 on March 1, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Why are you pre-judging Bristol’s docu-series before it even airs? You obviously know nothing about her. She doesn’t glamorize teen pregnancy at all. She always talks about how difficult it is to be a young, single mom. Don’t let your bias against Sarah cloud your judgment about her daughter. She’s quite a remarkable woman. Just like her mom.

bellagrazi on March 2, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I watched the Palin reality series and came out liking Palin, her husband, her dad, her mother in law.

I can watch stupid kids out my front door and they do it for free

I dont want to see Bush daughters either, or the Clinton’s offspring, or any offspring of famos. Kind of resent coattail riders

entagor on March 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Bristol Palin has always made it clear that she is blessed to have support raising her son and that most unwed mothers do not. She even did an excellent PSA video regarding that very issue, for the Candies Foundation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHlztPeHf8

I support Bristol Palin 100% and like most of her fans I am looking forward to her new show. She is a wonderful young woman and a spectacular and devoted mother to her son, Tripp. She will be an inspiration to many.

sinsing on March 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

“Like any unwed teen mom TV show, though, this series has the potential to glamorize single motherhood, and I’m not sure I can applaud that.” – Tina

Agreed.
How about a real “reality show” from the ghettos across America?
The Jerry Springer crowd wouldn’t even watch.
(and that aint much)