Bipartisan vote in House subcommittee to kill IPAB

posted at 1:20 pm on February 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

While efforts continue at the Supreme Court to get the individual mandate in ObamaCare declared unconstitutional and the entire law thrown out, a House committee voted on a bipartisan basis to kill its so-called “death panel.”  On a 17-5 vote that included two of the senior Democrats on the Health subcommittee of Energy and Commerce, the motion to repeal the Independent Payment Advisory Board will move to the full committee and almost certainly to the House floor:

Bipartisan legislation to repeal the healthcare law’s cost-control board sailed through a House panel on Wednesday, raising pressure on the Senate to take up the bill and dealing President Obama a political blow.

The Energy and Commerce Health subcommittee vote was 17-5, with ranking member Frank Pallone Jr. (D-N.J.) and Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-N.Y.) crossing the aisle to vote for repeal of the Independent Payment Advisory Board. There were no amendments.

They weren’t the only Democrats favoring a repeal, either:

Rep. Lois Capps (D-Calif.) said she favors getting rid of the board but wouldn’t because the repeal bill offered no alternative for controlling Medicare costs and wasn’t paid for.

Capps’ argument cuts to the heart of the issue.  The IPAB is a critical component in ObamaCare’s claims of cost control, one that we have discussed here at Hot Air on a number of occasions over the last two years.  The panel of fifteen unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats would essentially ration Medicare funds, deciding on which care to approve or reject.  Congress would have to overturn IPAB decisions by a supermajority vote to keep them from going into effect rather than having a panel present recommendations for Congressional action.

If anyone doubts the nature of the IPAB, then-OMB director Peter Orszag made it pretty clear in 2010after ObamaCare passed Congress:

Towns and Pallone are not the only House Democrats to have opposed the IPAB, either. If Republicans pick up more Democratic support on repealing IPAB, it may be difficult for Harry Reid to ignore it in the Senate, especially with so many red-state Democrats defending their seats in this cycle. And if the IPAB gets repealed by Congress, Obama can certainly veto the bill — but he’ll have to endure the criticism over the IPAB all over again, this time with Democrats agreeing with Republicans that it represents a radical attempt to ration care rather than fix the system to provide more options for seniors.

Comments

Those stupid death panels. I thought they didn’t exist.

tinkerthinker on February 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Punish the caregivers that are honest. makes no sense. Repeal the total bill.

seven on February 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

And to think that ObamaCare was so cool back when PBHO was still sort of popular.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Of course, the GOP would vote for out of control spending.

faraway on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I hope they pass this bill with reconciliation instructions.

rockmom on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

If only some strong conservative voice had pointed out the problems this panel presented at the time…

/s

cs89 on February 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

But the Death Panel doesn’t exist. It was an invention of that stupid woman from Alaska. How can it be repealed?

Odysseus on February 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

If we are going to have a marxist health care system, wouldn’t it be prudent to have these death panels to prioritize who gets treatment and keep costs down? I don’t really want to pay for a hundred year old person’s million dollar operation to extend his life three months.

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Death Panels???

Didn’t everyone and their dog jump up Sara Palin’s a$$ for bringing this up???

BigWyo on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Hey hey we’re the Monkeeeeeeyyyysss…people say we monkey arouuuund….

*sniff*

I need to collect myself.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I guess the death panels didn’t render aid to Davy Jones?

karenhasfreedom on February 29, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Hey hey we’re the Monkeeeeeeyyyysss…people say we monkey arouuuund….

*sniff*

I need to collect myself.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Davy Jones was my first big crush. I am feeling old and sad.

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Actually this is being subtlely done now by the doctors and insurance companies. They won’t do or approve procedures that are not going to really improve a situation or extend a life for longer than a really short period.

karenhasfreedom on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, beatdown for Sebilius and obummer. Oh yeah just in case Pelosi hasn’t read the law, this is what we found out in it: A death panel. Thanks Sarah Palin, right on. Still, it needs to pass the house now.

jake49 on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Once fully implimented as designed, even the 100 year old could not spend his OWN money to extend his life three months. Health care is supposed to be a finite national resource under Obamacare.

DanMan on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

BigWyo on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yes they did and despite that fact, Palin was the only Republican to make it into an issue so big that Obama had to deal with it instead of his (up to then) standard “you can trust me” response.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

The Death Panel meets its demise at a Death Panel of its own.

how ironic./

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Don’t worry, you’ll get the red pill.

NJ Red on February 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

DanMan on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Obamacare would have spawned a health care industry in one of the caribbean islands for the uber rich to self fund and self pay for their medical needs.

karenhasfreedom on February 29, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I wondered if you thought you would make it to 100 with a Marxist health care system.

tinkerthinker on February 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM

When Tricare was first implemented in Ca., I had a hospital bill rejected because ultimately, Tricare decided it wasn’t necessary for me to go to the ER. Mind you, I got pre-approval to go from my primary doctor, but they still rejected the bill and I had to utimately pay the entire amount. The most ironic thing was that two nights later, when I again went to the ER and ended up hospitalized with a parasite infection, despite not getting pre-approval for that visit (due to collapsing veins and being near death!) that bill was eventually covered. I had months and months of red tape to wade through which almost put me in the looney bin. Long and short of it was, the implementation of Tricare was a nightmare, especially where we were in Ca. (Monterey)…no one wanted to participate. The system has gotten better as time has gone on, but just imagine the absolute chaos that will take place in this country if Obamacare remains in place?

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Someone must have told Congress that eventually they would be subject to Death Panels too, so of course they all started rushing about hither and thither to get it removed.

Yes I said hither and thither.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Wait, I thought Palin was dumb or something…

Mord on February 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

They’ll just sneak it through some other way.

The Progressives will not stop until EVERYTHING is controlled and redistributed by the Federal Government.

How is that different than Totalitarianism?

PappyD61 on February 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Boy is Sarah Palin stupid!

Death panels, ha!

Glad she went back to the North Pole where she can’t muck the GOP up any more!

Bruno Strozek on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I am not an overtly “religious” person, but I definitely believe in God and have had my own spiritual revelations in my life. I firmly believe that perhaps Sarah Palin was “chosen” to have a downs child so we would have a voice at the national level to put this whole health care issue in perspective. She has to be a strong and ferocious advocate for medical care for her son because a death panel would NEVER approve of any expensive procedures to help a downs kid. They don’t economically “contribute” to society, thus national resources wouldn’t be used to help them with large medical challenges.

Without Sarah very succinctly calling them out as death panels, which resonated nationally, this part of Obamacare would be merrily moving along implementing their god-like power over the life and death and quality of life of all here.

Ameritopia, indeed, we are here.

karenhasfreedom on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Health care rationing already occurs. That centenarian isn’t getting an operation for three extra months of life.

The rub with IPAB comes from the who gets to decide part. And you can be assured that anything associated with Obama would be so corrupt that Dem special interests and not the well being of Americans would be at the heart of any decision.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Palin you magnificent b……

rudee on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Obamacare: Death by 1000 cuts

Roy Rogers on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Davy Jones was my first big crush. I am feeling old and sad.

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

My mom would plunk me down in front of the tube to watch the show while she was busy with something. I always thought Mickey Dolenz was the coolest guy ever (I can’t believe I just pulled his name from the ether of my memory).

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

DanMan on February 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I doubt that. Rich foreigners come to the US to get medical treatment all the time. Even the most psycho Democrat isn’t going to forbid citizens from getting health care for themselves while letting non citizens get all they want.

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

The Death Panel meets its demise at a Death Panel of its own.

ted c on February 29, 2012 at 1:31 PM

They’ll just rename it and it’ll return as “Sensitivity Seminars for Thanatopsis” or some such.

profitsbeard on February 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That’s a design feature of Obamacare. It is intentionally designed to be a cumbersome system.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Slightly off topic: Megyn Kelley is debating the Georgetown college student’s contraception woes with Monica Crowley and some really ugly leftist dude named Sally Kohn.

UltimateBob on February 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I am really feeling my age today. I remember Micky Dolenz when he played Circus Boy on TV.

BeachBum on February 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Sarah 2012!!! FTW.

AH_C on February 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I can’t believe I missed the opportunity for this one:

Davy Jones took the train to Clarksville for the last time.

Ok I’ll stop now.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66 From Heart Attack

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

That sucks. I used to watch that show on Nick at Nite back in the late 80s. He was the reason BTW that a performer named “David Jones” had to change his stage name to “David Bowie”.

Doughboy on February 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM

You think? Who is going to hammer Barry on this? No one ever hammers Barry on anything of substance. It will be forgotten about a week after it happens. Straight down the memory hole.

Dack Thrombosis on February 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Well said! I’m in the same boat.

Mord on February 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

That centenarian isn’t getting an operation for three extra months of life.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I might if it’s me. Can’t take it with you. But if I got to pay for libs medical care, I’d be the death panelist they call the grim reaper.

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

some really ugly leftist dude named Sally Kohn.

That’s Rachel Maddow’s twin brother.

Dack Thrombosis on February 29, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I don’t get it…Why are they trying to kill the “2009 Lie of the Year”?

Palin the Prophet 2012

ornery_independent on February 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

You don’t really believe that do you?

Oh that’s right; first we gotta make em all citizens.

D-fusit on February 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Totally agree. He was always my favorite. Drummers are the best.

For you

FLconservative on February 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM

you must be young

lol

gerrym51 on February 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

You Lie!

Fuquay Steve on February 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Davy Jones was my first big crush. I am feeling old and sad.

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Mine, too.

I wanna be free,
Like the bluebirds flying by me
Like the waves out on the blue sea.
If your love has to tie me, don’t try me,
Say good-bye.

Fallon on February 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM

“It has an enormous amount of potential power… furthermore, the proposals take effect automatically, unless Congress specifically votes them down and the President signs that bill… The default is now switched, in a very important way… this is a very substantial change… statutory power to put forward proposals… take effect automatically if Congress ignores them, if Congress votes them down and the President vetoes that bill… Inertia now plays to the side of [the IPAB]“

This is the same thing they did again with the debt ceiling issue… the President would request an increase in the debt ceiling, and stopping would require a bill that would not only have to pass both houses of Congress but also be signed by the President.

If your party only controls one house of Congress, the bill doesn’t even make it to the President’s desk. If your party controls both chambers and gets the bill passed, but the President is from the opposing party, that President is going to veto it, and now it takes a vote of 2/3 of BOTH HOUSES in order to override the veto.

Even if your party controls the Presidency and both house of Congress, you need at least 60 votes in the Senate in order to break an opposition party filibuster.

So, in other words, in order to stop this freight train, you need either:
1) Control of the majority in the House, 60 votes in the Senate, plus the Presidency,
OR
2) Control of 2/3 of both the House and Senate.

Do you know how rare that is?

With both the IPAB and the debt ceiling debate, the Democrats found a way to railroad through what they want, with a freight train this nearly impossible to stop.

Stopping that train before it even leaves the station is a very wise thing to do, and I applaud Speaker Boehner for his efforts. Even if this only passes the House and goes nowhere in the Senate, it’s the right thing to do, and should be shouted from the rooftops.

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Great news, no old people will die and the unlimited spending will act as perpetual stimulus.

Totally a win-win.

forest on February 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Davy Jones was my first big crush. I am feeling old and sad.
Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Me too. What is really wierd is that this month I downloaded some of my favorites and was dancing with the kids to Vaaaaallliree on Valentines Day.

MontanaMmmm on February 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

ornery_independent on February 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

good catch!

DanMan on February 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

ACRONYMS SHOULD BE OUTLAWED.

gerry-RSWDG-Romney supporter with delusions of Grandeur

A

gerrym51 on February 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

ROFL

I’d be the panelist holding a gun while they plead their case to us, eying them speculatively.

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I went to a Monkees concert in Greensboro, NC in July of 1967 and the opening act was none other than Jimi Hendrix. I saw Jimi again at the Atlanta Pop Festival several years later.

The Monkees had one cool GTO. Mickey was my favorite too. Stupid TV show though.

jb34461 on February 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I knew a Navy wife about 10 years ago here in Connecticut at the subase who had her chemotherapy bills refused by Tricare. They had apparently determined that chemo treatments for cancer were elective.

As far as I know the hospital where my youngest had her tonsils out over a decade ago has never been paid.
Tricare: you need a preauthorization number.
Hospital: we gave you one.
Tricare: that’s the one for the surgeon.
Hospital: but the number for the surgeon and the facility are supposed to be the same, right?
Tricare: yes, they are the same number.
Hospital: and you’ve paid the surgeon, right?
Tricare: yes, he had the correct preauthorization number.
Hospital: So why won’t you pay us?
Tricare: because you need a valid preauthorization number.

This went on for years, over less than $1K. Tricare probably spent more than that denying it.

If this is how they treat active duty military and their families, I really, really don’t want to find out how well our evil overlords in DC will treat the rest of us if they get the control the healthcare bill is trying to give them and we don’t have any alternatives.

LibraryGryffon on February 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Shouldn’t we consult ethicists first/

Dr Evil on February 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Thank God. We may now be able to get out from under from these government bureaucrats who can decide what medical treatment I’ll receive and return that power to the rightful holder – insurance company employees. Now I’ll know my best interests are being looked after

plewis on February 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66 From Heart Attack

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

*sob*

I too had quite a crush as a youngster. I had a chance to see him at a free concert in Deadwood SD a couple of years ago. He put on a great show and at the end he talked about the greatness of America and how Americans were the best people ever. He talked about how coming here had given him every opportunity to succeed that he had had in his life. He was truly grateful for all his success and seemed like a great guy.

Lily on February 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Palin the Prophet 2012

ornery_independent on February 29, 2012 at 1:48 PM

And the Irony is that we all know what the real lie of the year for 2009 was. It took place on January 20th 2009:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Obama has not faithfully executed his duties, nor has he made any attempt to protect and defent the Constitution.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

…a House committee voted on a bipartisan basis to kill its so-called “death panel.”

Doesn’t matter. It still has to pass Obama’s pen.

Congress spends all day pushing on walls and then goes home tired, claiming they worked hard all day. My definition of work is force times distance, and if they didn’t move the wall, they did no work.

timberline on February 29, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I don’t anybody would accept an apointment to a Death Panel. Think of the people looking for them after they denied care for a relative and that relative died.

jb34461 on February 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Let me guess, you’d charge for the bullet too wouldn’t you?

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I would mention something about Davy Jones’ locker, but…

azkag on February 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Mutnodjmet
Fallon

OT – indulging in a bit of days past.
Davy – RIP

MontanaMmmm on February 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

/s

cs89 on February 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

They did, but Pelosi’s thugs already had the package tied up in a nice bow and said: “You have to pass it to see what’s in it.”

Also, it all happened when the Democrats had majorities in the House, Senate, and the Presidency.

timberline on February 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

LibraryGryffon on February 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM

~~~~~~~~

Perfect description. Tricare prime is still extremely cumbersome, as Happy Nomad said, deliberately so. I switched to Tricare Standard as soon as I figured out how horrible Prime was. I used to tell people to sign up for Prime if you had NO health problems and didn’t think you’d ever need to see a doctor! You pay more for Standard, but there is no pre-authorization. Would Obmacare even have a tiered system? Probably not…

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Remember this?

Marcia meets Davey Jones

FLconservative on February 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Amazing how the more we know about Obamacare, the smarter Sarah seems

jayhawkingeorgia on February 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66 From Heart Attack

Mutnodjmet on February 29, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Is this an argument against socialized medicine?

Tommy_G on February 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I saw Davy Jones with Mickey Dolenz in the 70s, with two others in place of Peter Tork and Mike (Mark?!) Nesmith…a small show, very nice…we were just kids, but we had found the Monkees on tv reruns, and a friends’ dad got tickets for us and took us. After the show, we hung around, and got autographs from all of them. Davy Jones was so sweet, just very kind and generous, and we were thrilled. So sad, rest in peace Davy Jones.

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Now that’s an inconvenient truth!

Tearing down the Obamacare Trojan Horse one board at a time…

kirkill on February 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

My indulgence, Davy Jones, RIP:

Fallon on February 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Amazing how the more we know about Obamacare, the smarter Sarah seems

jayhawkingeorgia on February 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM

It’s been glaringly obvious to me and many others for a long time. Hopefully many of those in willful denial about Palin’s prescience & intelligence will see the light, but I doubt it. HBO’s “Game Change“, a work of fiction, will now inform the libs (and too many on the right’s) narrative about her.

ornery_independent on February 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM

with two others in place of Peter Tork and Mike (Mark?!) Nesmith

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Those two replacements would have been Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart. They wrote many of the Monkees most memorable hits.

Tommy_G on February 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

That centenarian isn’t getting an operation for three extra months of life.

Happy Nomad on February 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Actually, they are-even if it prolongs it a week. Even if it’s likely to lead to expensive complications. Sometimes even if s/he’s demented. The family figures they’re not paying for it. The PCP figures s/he’ll get sued if the operation isn’t done. The surgeon and the hospital get paid. The taxpayer gets screwed (or the people stuck paying off the deficit get screwed, as all that money is being borrowed). A lot of Medicare procedures would probably not be done if patients really understood the cost/benefit.

At some point this problem needs to be addressed honestly and openly. Of course those terms are oxymorons when it comes to the Obama admionistration.

talkingpoints on February 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

My best friend had a crush on Davy Jones. Me, I was madly in love with David McCallum, who now plays the grandfatherly Ducky on NCIS. But back in ’68, he was Ilya Kuryakin, the Man From UNCLE’s sidekick. Oh, was he hot! Just set my little 14-year-old heart on fire. Sigh. Those were the days. I’m sorry to hear about Davy.

Mean Granny on February 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

with two others in place of Peter Tork and Mike (Mark?!) Nesmith

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Tommy_G on February 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

~~~~~~~

Thank you, yes, that’s it! They did a little tour as Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart…

ellifint on February 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

This is what the unending debate of health care will look like going forward. Chewing around the edges with party platforms based on ways to ‘improve’ Obamacare since, unless the Supreme Court strikes it down, it will be in place for a long time. Assuming that Willaed will probably be the GOP candidate the certain Obama landslide may very well allow the holy trifecta of Hussein, Harry and Nancy to accelerate the march towards single payer.

Annar on February 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Tommy_G on February 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Neil Diamond also wrote many of the hits performed by the Prefab Four.

UltimateBob on February 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Here’s to hoping that Davy Jones really was a believer…

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Permit me to connect a current and past comment together…

Today (above):

So, in other words, in order to stop this freight train, you need either:
OR
2) Control of 2/3 of both the House and Senate.

Do you know how rare that is?

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Back in December, when Obama requested the hike in the debt limit:

Five years ago today (12/27/2006), Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and Presidency.

Unemployment was 4.4%, and the National Debt was under $8.615 Trillion.

Then, in January 2007, the Democrats took majority control, and both unemployment and the National Debt have skyrocketed.

Real unemployment is well above 10%, and the National Debt is quickly approaching the current limit of $15.194 Trillion and Obama wants to increase that to $16.394 Trillion with the request.

Got that? Obama wants to raise the National Debt limit to by approximately $8 Trillion OVER what the National Debt was when Democrats took majority control from the Republicans a mere 5 years ago.

And the strangest thing about this is the way they inverted the normal process.

Normally, you have to pass AFFIRMATIVE bills in Congress, and the President has the power to say “No” with his veto. Then, the Congress can override the “No” if they have the votes for 2/3 majorities in both houses to vote “Yes”.

This arrangement, however, turns things upside down… it starts with the President (rather than the Congress). It starts with a “request” (rather than a bill). With this arrangement, the Congress is required to pass a “resolution of disapproval” to say “No” to the request. But then the President can use a veto to say “Yes” to the debt limit increase, (because he is saying “No” to the Congress’ “No”!). Then, the Congress can override the “Yes” if they have the votes for 2/3 majorities in both houses to vote “No”. It’s all backwards! I’ve never seen this done before, and It turns the President’s power to say “No” (a veto) into the power to say “Yes” (by saying “No” to the Congress’ “No”).

The ObamaNation is an upside-down world.

ITguy on December 27, 2011 at 2:59 PM

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Palin you magnificent b……

rudee on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

She’s mine ok?…I’m not sharing!

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Here’s to hoping that Davy Jones really was a believer…

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Who’s going to fly the flags half-staff?

KOOLAID2 on February 29, 2012 at 3:52 PM

So, in other words, in order to stop this freight train, you need either:
OR
2) Control of 2/3 of both the House and Senate.

ITguy on February 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Or…

3) Attach it to the debt-ceiling increase bill and let the Dems sweat.

dominigan on February 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Shouldn’t we consult ethicists first/
Dr Evil on February 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Someone like the infanticide guys?

AesopFan on February 29, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Monkee Fans: Mike Nesmith’s mom invented Liquid Paper; just thought you’ld like to know.

In 1956, Bette Nesmith Graham started the Mistake Out Company (later renamed Liquid Paper) from her North Dallas home. She turned her kitchen into a laboratory, mixing up an improved product with her electric mixer. Graham’s son, Michael Nesmith (later of The Monkees fame), and his friends filled bottles for her customers. Nevertheless, she made little money despite working nights and weekends to fill orders. One day an opportunity came in disguise. Graham made a mistake at work that she couldn’t correct, and her boss fired her. She now had time to devote to selling Liquid Paper, and business boomed.

AesopFan on February 29, 2012 at 4:07 PM

/s

cs89 on February 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

timberline on February 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

What “they” are you talking about, timberline. I seem to remember only Palin’s voice striking out, and being ridiculed for it.

cptacek on February 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Buddahpundit on February 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I don’t know what they will do about other people coming here for medical care, but it is true that you will not have the option of paying out of your own pocket for something that is not approved. We will all have to find a place to go out of the country for things like that. And it’s not just really old people. If you are under 15 or over 50, you are not worth much to society, and your care will be determined by that.

Night Owl on February 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yeah, but when he starred on “Circus Boy” his name was Mickey Braddock.

Mr. Grump on February 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Mean Granny

Was a huge Ilya Kuryakin fan as well.
Went to Macy’s in NYC in ’65 to see David McCallum, who was appearing there for some odd reason.

There were so many girls that showed up, they had to cancel him coming on stage. So close, dammit.

I never miss NCIS and love Ducky too.
Must admist that Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo makes my heart sing!

Typicalwhitewoman on February 29, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I suppose that if you can incrementally implement socialism, then you can incrementally tear it down!!

mel23059 on February 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Bishop on February 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Don’t forget Mike Nesmith and Peter Tork.

And I didn’t have to pull that out of the deep recesses of my memory… I actually knew the names of all four of them quite well…

I will retreat to the dork’s corner now…

gravityman on February 29, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Ok, here is the part that makes my brain hurt…

What? Wanna repeat that? “Wasn’t paid for”?

The law hasn’t been fully implemented yet, the IPAB wasn’t created and functioning yet (as far as I am aware), and according to the article there were no amendments…

What needs to be paid for to get rid of something that doesn’t exist yet?? Is there some cost to repealing the as yet non-existent IPAB besides the cost of the paper to print the bill on??

If there is a cost to simply saying “don’t start creating that”, then these dirtbags in our government have truly gone off the deep end on finding new and creative ways to spend other people’s money.

gravityman on February 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM