Video: The 1% tip hoax

posted at 9:50 am on February 28, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The story was too good to be true.  A wealthy banker runs up a three-figure bill, only tips 1% (!), and writes a note to the server to “get a real job” as a parting insult.  CNN, Huffington Post, and other media outlets ran with the story of the arrogant banker and his miserly recompense to the help.  There was only one thing wrong — it really was too good to be true:

According to Huffington Post, CNN and several other news sites, a person claiming to be an employee of the “wealthy” banker took a photo of the receipt and posted it on a blog, “Future Ex-Banker”. The blogger paired the photo with their own caption:

“Mention the ’99 percent’ in my boss’ presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear his 1 percent badge of honor that he tips exactly 1 percent every time he feels the server doesn’t sufficiently bow down to his Holiness. Oh, and he always makes sure to include a ‘tip’ of his own.” …

The post set off a hailstorm of online comments that touched on the 1% vs. 99% class warfare embodied by the Occupy movement.

HuffPo later posted a statement from the restaurant that said that the photo had been “altered and exaggerated.”  How exaggerated?  Well, according to the local CBS affiliate — who actually asked the restaurant about the bill — the meal was just over $30 instead of $133, the tip was 20% and not 1%, and the customer didn’t write any note to the server on the bill.  “Exaggerated” in this case serves as a synonym for “flat-out lie.”

Then again, without a lot of flat-out lies, where would the Occupy movement be?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This thread is almost as off-topic as the QOTD at 2am.

No, not really. This thread is about liberal dishonesty. So are the comments.

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Hey, Lanceman…This thread is almost as off-topic as the QOTD at 2am.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

that was OT? huh!

DHChron on February 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Wow, they can’t even make an anecdotal point without lying. Hey leftists, if your philosophy is worth defending, why don’t you just be honest?

Oh, that’s right, because plunder and slavery is your philosophy, and you’d be righteously smacked down if you ever admitted it.

bernverdnardo1 on February 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM

In another life I was a systems analyst, and my job was to network systems together. I networked PCs to AS/400s, later to Cisco 2501s, and created wide area networks. I later started an ISP, and was doing well until Ma Bell came out with 4.95 Internet (dial up)

Having said that, I would never claim to be an engineer. I was flexible, could read code, was good at troubleshooting, and never took it personally when some geek was sputtering about his qualifications. I wanted to learn, and by keeping my ear to the ground I put together a good living. Finally I priced myself out of the market; young geeks are cheaper than old ones.

I would never be able to create IEEE standards, but I used them and am grateful to the engineers who designed them. I think analysts and engineers both have their place, and in a given system, are of equal value.

Let’s see if this stirs up anything…. :)

itsspideyman on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Lol. Every thread can be about liberal dishonesty.

DHChron on February 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Lol. You just about had me, there.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

CNN, Huffington Post, and other media outlets ran with the story of the arrogant banker and his miserly recompense to the help. There was only one thing wrong — it really was too good to be true:

P’nked!!

Oh I’m sorry! How terribly bourgeoisie that was…

I meant…P’WNED!

BlaxPac on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Of course they did. They dont care if it’s true or not.

TX-96 on February 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Restaurant wants to save face. The need to show the “real” bill if they want to be believed

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Seeing as it would be fincially beneficial for the restaraunt if the pic was real (sympathy buyers and such), I don’t see why they would lie to say that the pic was altered.

DethMetalCookieMonst on February 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I employ many fake engineers.

2Tru2Tru on February 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Let’s see if this stirs up anything…. :)

itsspideyman on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Lol. AP…is that you?

dud4life went over to ruin the Odumbocare thread. It won’t be back to this one.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM

DHChron on February 28, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Lol. You just about had me, there.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

hehe…it’s what I do. just assume I’m kidding

DHChron on February 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:07 PM

If you ever want to see the quintessential Walter Mitty poster, go to Townhall and read Bozone’s posts. He claims to have 3 PhDs in nuclear physics, engineering and mathematics. He also claims to be a professor at both MIT and Harvard while inventing nuclear sub technology and acting as a consultant for the White House, Defence Department, and the National Security Agency. Oh, and he claims to be a retired Fleet Admiral, which is interesting since the last known Fleet Admiral was Chester Nimitz and he died in 1966.

Fortunately, if you act now, you can own your very own Ronco Platinum Edition National Treasure of Secret Fleet Admirals List© beautifully bound in an imitation Ronco Pleather© Ronco Family Keepsake Album©!!!

To show you how certain Ronco believes that you will love the Ronco Platinum Edition National Treasure of Secret Fleet Admirals List©, they are having a special now where they’ll throw in an authentic reproduction of the famed Ronco Hibachi Grill©, a Ronco ObamaChia Pet©, Ronco Goldfish Plat-Form-O-Matic© Shoes, a Ronco Disco-Ball-O-Matic©, the Ronco Kung-Fu Fighting Dance-A-Long©, Ronco Bozone Mitty, International Man of Idiocy, Collector’s Edition© DVD collection Ronco Seal-O-Matic©, the Original Ron Pompeil Classic Ronco Veg-o-Matic© and the Ronco Pocket Fisherman©, and a set of Ronco Gitsu Knives©!

All yours for just $19.95 plus S&H! Get out that credit card! You just have to learn about Fleet Admiral Bozone Mitty, (Ret.), International Man of Idiocy, Bestest Friend of Thurston Howell, III.

I have been so inspired by him that I wrote his biography:

Who is Fleet Admiral Bozone Mitty, (Ret.), International Man of Idiocy?

Resist We Much on February 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Fake, but accurate. Racists.

Huckabye-Romney on February 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

LOL I wonder if it was damn dan blather that did it? or one of his family members?

ColdWarrior57 on February 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM

This thread is almost as off-topic as the QOTD at 2am.

No, not really. This thread is about liberal dishonesty. So are the comments.

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Lies are the only way the Left can push their socialist, national agenda.

Lie number one is that socialism is a functional economic model.

Chip on February 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Hey, Lanceman…This thread is almost as off-topic as the QOTD at 2am.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Nuh uh. IT Guy is right. Liberals.

In fact, and I don’t wanna sound like a suspicious Aloysius but I will bet that if Libtard for life ain’t AP, it’s a paid HA/TH troll just to stir up commentism.

Nobody that spells and uses grammar that well is so stupid as to post unprovable drivel.

Oh, to be God right now…

Lanceman on February 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Liberal Media Says: Why let the fact get in the way of such a perfect story that serves our agenda so well?

Axion on February 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Resist We Much on February 28, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Lol.

I have an account over there, but don’t usually post anything.

Only occasionally do I read the comments, probably because they “publish” at some point in the evening and the Soros troops fill it up with rubbish (like OWSers). By the morning, when I read the columns, it’s usually sane people trying to refute all of the nonsense.

I’ve seen the various nut-jobs over there, though.

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I once stiffed a waiter because he wanted to charge me NOT to put the shot of Amaretto I asked for in coffee. Talk about trying to pad the bill! If the story were true, and the waiter gave crappy service, I’d understand stiffing the waiter and leaving a note as to why.

Sekhmet on February 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Lanceman on February 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

With csdevon, bluegill, lib4life, etc…
Think of the venn diagrams that could be drawn…

RedCrow on February 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I have a college degree in computer engineering. I probably make more money than you…

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Sorry, lefty4life. We cannot simply take your word for that.
You’ll have to post your pay stubs and tax returns for the past five years — or you’re just lying.
PROVE YOUR INNOCENCE.

Solaratov on February 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM

LORDY why oh WHY do Yall CHOOSE to continue feeding this obvious TROLL?

Katfish on February 28, 2012 at 10:40 AM

You ever watch a cat playing with a mouse?

JeffWeimer on February 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

point taken (at least Tom & Jerry are FUNNY)…………

Katfish on February 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM

You ever watch a cat playing with a mouse?

JeffWeimer on February 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

:-)

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I don’t think the liberal media should be getting into a discussion of which demographic groups are infamous for not tipping. It could get ugly.

KorlaPundit on February 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Well I have both…

[liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM]

It’s a shame that neither of them have given you any character.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Well I have both…

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It’s a shame that neither of them have given you any character.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Brava, annoyinglittletwerp!

liberal4life has gained some knowledge, but lacks both wisdom and character.

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 1:14 PM

*curtseys*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

:-)

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 1:15 PM

You ever watch a cat playing with a mouse?

JeffWeimer on February 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

:-)

ITguy on February 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I thought surely you’d be posting a Tom & Jerry clip………….still made me spew my coffee *well DONE!*

Katfish on February 28, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Talk about being overly full of yourself – libtard4life has pretty well proven degrees and certifications don’t necessarily mean intelligence or real-world smart.
I’ve known Quantum Physics PhDs who had trouble tying their own shoelaces or color-matching a pair of socks.
A BS and a CCNP will most likely get someone a job at the IT helpdesk. In the Defense industry you can’t even touch network systems without also having other certs like A+, Security+, CISSP, and ideally something like an MCSE.
And in prior positions in management, I’ve hired and fired people like that for decent salaries – but no where near what managers and business developers make.

dentarthurdent on February 28, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Let’s see if this stirs up anything…. :)

[itsspideyman on February 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM]

Not with me. It’s just about right, though I’d not give you grief for calling yourself an engineer if you actually engineered things.

I was hard on lib4life, especially on asking for some knowledge on a few pretty basic subjects that credentialed engineers would have been exposed to. But that was because it was pretty clear to me she wasn’t one in the conventional sense. She needn’t know them, or all of them, to be an engineer, though. One doesn’t need to be licensed to be an engineer and, in my view, one needn’t be credentialed with a diploma to be one, either, though it is proof you are, or can be, one.

To my mind, all one needs to do to call oneself an engineer is apply science to the making of something new and different as an answer or solution to a question or problem of a technical nature, without using the instruction manual.

Dusty on February 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Taking “grasping at straws” to the lowest possible extreme.

8thAirForce on February 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I have a CCNP. Yes I’m that smart thats why I’m a liberal

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

YOU! Are living PROOF that something human can live…without a brain!

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I found your problem

HotAirian on February 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

LMFAO!! Short, sweet, to the point and so on target! Love it, absolute slap down of “liberal-moron-for-life.”

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Dusty on February 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

In my experience, people who brag about themselves the way libtard4life has been doing are usually lying. I’ve had to deal with people whose resumes were mostly lies – they generally talk a lot about how great they are, but have trouble backing it up with appropriate quality work. There’s something seriously wrong with this one – which explains the hardcore libtard attitude.

I have a General Engineering BS, and I currently work in a position where the official labor category is Engineer, but in reality I’m a systems test event manager. I hesitate to call myself a true engineer because I’ve never gotten a PE, but I’ve been in military operations, management, business development and various engineering related jobs throughout my 30 year career. And I would never make an outrageous statement to a worldwide group of unknown people like ” I’m smarter than all of you and make more money than you do”.

dentarthurdent on February 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I will not be discussing my salary. It is irrelevant

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Then why did you bring it up in the first place?
YOU opened that door, lefty.

Solaratov on February 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I have a CCNP. Yes I’m that smart thats why I’m a liberal

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

“… I’m smart! Not like everybody says… like dumb… I’m smart and I want respect!”

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

A brain delusioned by liberalism = liberal4life

A brain is a terrible thing to waste…

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Oh, to be God right now…

Lanceman on February 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I’ll settle for access to the HA site logs

AH_C on February 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Until I see the “real” bill, I will believe the initial story.

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Of course you will. Just like until we see the real Birth Certificate, we will believe the initial story.

See how I did that? See how easy libtards are to f#uck with?

MooCow…out.

MooCowBang on February 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

A brain delusioned by liberalism = liberal4life

A brain is a terrible thing to waste…

Liberty or Death on February 28, 2012 at 2:01 PM

It cannot waste what it never had.

Resist We Much on February 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

From time to time this nation comes to a pass when it elects Fredo and thinks that it is electing Michael. That’s what happened in 2008.

If you want to understand why we are where we are, it is because we elected an Administration of Fredos without so much as one Hyman Roth or Tom Hagen to be seen. Their great redeeming virtue is that these people can campaign their butts off.

But they cannot govern the nation.

victor82 on February 28, 2012 at 2:07 PM

See how easy libtards are to f#uck with?

MooCowBang on February 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I once got into a brawl on a Washington Post thread with a bunch of imbecilic Progs that were calling me ignorant because I was, evidently, “one of the last rubes in the country that didn’t know that Sarah Palin said that she could ‘see Russia from her house.’”

Even after I proved that she never said that, produced the video clip of her interview with Charlie Gibson where she said that “there are areas in Alaska from which you can see Russia,” produced the video clip of Tina Fey playing Sarah Palin saying that “I can see Russia from my house,” the stupid loons still demanded that I produce a video of Sarah Palin NOT saying that she could “see Russia from her house.”

I finally had to ask them to produce video clips of themselves NOT have sex with their dogs.

Hillary was right. It does take the Democratic Party’s village to raise a slew of idiots.

Resist We Much on February 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Do you know how hard is it to get these certs?

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I think you have to pay…shipping & handling!

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2012 at 2:22 PM

How about you tell us exactly what’s written on your degree.

blink on February 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM
I will not be telling you where I went to college/what is on my degree…

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:13 AM

There’s a TAG on it… it says “CAUTION CHOCKING HAZZARD”.
(no!… I did not spell ‘choking’ wrong!)

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I have a CCNP. Yes I’m that smart thats why I’m a liberal

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Plugs are hard.

ReaganWasRight on February 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I will not be telling you where I went to college/what is on my degree…

liberal4life

But can you read it?

I just had my son’s diploma from his master’s in electrical engineering framed-He’s so smart that he can read it…and it’s written in latin!

2L8 on February 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

LOL once again when the Libs can not come up with a good story they make it up.

huskerthom on February 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Libtard4life – You are a liar and an uneducated liar at that.
Some of us actually work it that field and can tell by your verbiage you’re a fraud. As with all liberals deception and fabrication of the truth are the only skills you care to master but as it is you’re lousy at it and we see you for the bs artist that you are. You must be thrilled Feb is a short month, the 1st is almost here with your Gubmint check!

Buttercup on February 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM

According to Huffington Post, CNN and several other news sites…

Including Foxnews dot com. That is where I read it.

Buttercup on February 28, 2012 at 3:33 PM

“Niggardly” (noun: “niggard”) is an adjective meaning “stingy” or “miserly”, perhaps related to the Old Norse verb nigla = “to fuss about small matters”. It is cognate with “niggling”, meaning “petty” or “unimportant”, as in “the niggling details”.

Of course since everyone is so ready to be socially correct “unless it relates to a Christian” I knew someone would immediately go racist on that.

SgtRed on February 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Then again, without a lot of flat-out lies, where would the Occupy movement be?

You can ask this same question to any of the LSM and democrat-commie-pinko-left-wing-fascists and it is just as relevant.

woodNfish on February 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Layers of fact checkers and editors… unless the story fits what they want to say.

AnotherOpinion on February 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Until I see the “real” bill, I will believe the initial story.

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Ummm…

Mitoch55 on February 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Until I see the “real” bill, I will believe the initial story.

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Real bill available over on Yahoo. Do you believe it now or do you want the restaurant to send you a certified copy of the bill so you can hold it in your own hands?

geramy2012 on February 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

liberal4life will still find another reason not to believe the restaurant.

blink on February 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Lib4life’s been dealt a blow. What a dingbat.

CW on February 28, 2012 at 5:38 PM

The second I saw this posted by my socialist friends on Facebook (no, seriously, thats how they identify themselves) I knew it reeked of Urban Legend. “Evil banker does blah blah blah.” So fake from the start. Thanks for posting this, I actually was keeping my eyes peeled here expecting to see something like this come to light.

jdespirito on February 28, 2012 at 6:07 PM

MooCowBang on February 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Dang, Moo. Lib just won’t get it.

BigAlSouth on February 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Dusty on February 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Thanks Dusty. I’ve done that, but as a tip of the hat to the real engineers, I’ll accept just being clever enough to keep a job. :)

dentarthurdent, sounds like you’ve got the right stuff to use the title.

itsspideyman on February 28, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Even if it was true, it’s hardly a scandal. Understand this: a “tip” is a gift, plain and simple. Nobody is obligated to give a gift to anyone. Even if someone left a gift of 1% of their bill after they purchased something, all I can say is, it was real nice of them.

Dollayo on February 29, 2012 at 4:48 AM

in order for all these pieces to be put together you have to pay someone like me to make it all work…

liberal4life on February 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

No, dear, I don’t need someone like you. I manage just fine hooking stuff up and putting stuff together for a living, too. I don’t need a phony degree or a false title to inflate my sense of worth.

BillH on February 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM