Romney: “It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments”

posted at 3:40 pm on February 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via TPM, a valentine from the nominal frontrunner to grassroots conservatives on the day of the big vote in Michigan. On the one hand, it is true that calling the Chinese “motherf***ers” or, say, mumbling about O’s birth certificate can get you traction with some populists who are spoiling for a take-it-to-’em campaign in November. Four words, my friends: “Republican frontrunner Donald Trump.”

On the other hand, John McCormack’s right. The reason we’ve cycled through Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Gingrich, and now Santorum as top-tier challengers to Mitt isn’t because they’ve sequentially one-upped each other in how much tasty rhetorical red meat they’re willing to plate. It’s because the base doesn’t trust Romney and will seize on whoever the most viable alternative is at any given moment. (That’s why Newt hasn’t dropped out. He’s one Santorum stumble away from being legit again and he knows it.) Look no further than the trends in national polling: Newt’s decline right after Florida almost perfectly coincides with Santorum’s surge. Anti-Romney voters simply dropped one (comparatively) conservative Not Mitt for another. What’s “exciting” them is their horror at nominating an uncharismatic serial flip-flopper whom they disdain, and who obviously disdains them. And tied up in all of this, of course, is the conventional wisdom that using “incendiary” rhetoric to win primary votes will make the eventual nominee less viable in the general by dragging him further away from the center. Given Romney’s track record of political opportunism, what would happen if you could prove to him statistically that calling Obama a socialist would attract independents in the general election instead of driving them away? Would Mitt still object to using that term on principle or would it be time for a second look at red meat? That is to say, how much of his smugness in the clip is justified by being genuinely above-the-fray and how much of it is just a pose aimed at dismissing Santorum as a cheap rhetorical bottom-feeder?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I turned Rush Limbaugh off for the first time today. Couldn’t take him anymore. I’m finally sick to death of the “core conservative values” rant that’s no better than what the OWS and freak liberals are offering on the B side. The last thing this country needs is a culture war, and that’s exactly what both sides want to give us.

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

If you are Mitt Romney 2008, you are a conservative.- Screeching Levin

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

For Valentines Day, Mitt Romney gives his wife the still beating hearts of his primary opponents.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

That’s really funny. No, wait, actually it’s stupid, seeing as how the only two primary opponents that Mitt’s SuperPAC have bothered to attack are still in the race.

Aitch748 on February 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

If you are Mitt Romney 2012, you never were a conservative. – Screeching hypocrite Levin.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Maybe more like supporting RomneyCare [like Gingrich], AGW garbage [like Gingrich and Palin] …and say, didn’t Romney support McCain’s“comprehensive immigration regorm” back in 2005? [not exactly] Why yes, I believe he did [only if you like taking things out of context].

Out of context. Riiiiiiight. And is Palin running? Didn’t you read her “Boycott Copenhagen” op-ed, at least to pick it apart for grammatical errors? Surely you saw it.

Ha! I think Santorum’s got the “wrath of God” thingy all locked up.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Didn’t answer the question. You know he’s going to be a pussycat against Team O. It’ll be hilarious.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

And what would such an admission change, exactly?

changer1701 on February 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM

It might go a long way in showing those of us who disagree with it, and are having a hard time supporting him, that we might have at least a little confidence in him that he won’t try to govern the country as a statist.

kakypat on February 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Why, if Mittens lit his hair on fire I might support him. Honest, I would. You can believe that as much as mittens is trustworthy.

He had the veto pen. He used it to sign romneycare into law.

He thinks that bolsters his argument that he’s conservative.

Republican maybe, conservative? No. Progressive? Yes.

Wolfmoon on February 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Aitch748 on February 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM

LOL…

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

What?

Mitt doesn’t believe in core conservative values such as:

limited government
fiscal responsibility
strong foreign policy
American exceptionalism
support for marriage and the family

Wow!

BTW, the Left began the assault on the culture. It only became a war because some have fought back. That’s a bad thing?

INC on February 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I turned Rush Limbaugh off for the first time today. Couldn’t take him anymore.
jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I stopped listening awhile ago. This after being a faithful listener since 1994. I used to arrange my day around his show, no more. Once in awhile I’ll tune in for a few minutes only to get so aggravated I shut him down. Particularly pi$$ed off over his flip flop on Mitt who had the 3 legs of the conservative stool, but nowwwwwww he’s a RINO. Now I mostly listen to John Gibson who’s a fine conservative in his own right….

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

The last thing this country needs is a culture war…

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Probably because you know you’d lose?

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

You’re just looking for Rush to validate your Mittbot cultism.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

What a shocker:

Mittbots don’t listen to Rush or Levin !!!

Hey Mittbots, what are they saying on MSLSD and CNN?? YOu know the types of shows that more align with your wishy washy views.

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Go ahead and call in csdevin or are you too scared just like your hero Mittens (since he’s never called in either)???

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

The bodies of Mitt Romneys primary victims are piling up. Bachmann, Perry, Cain, TPaw, and soon Neutron Newt and Sanctimonious Sanctorum will join the pile.

It is clearly supremely frustrating for the Romney haters that the entire GOP field has failed in their tactic to gang up on and destroy him. The guy is tough as nails and WILL be the nominee and defeat Obama in November.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know what? You’re just totally and completely right, and I’m just totally and completely wrong!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

INC…you are not wrong.

kakypat on February 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

LOL… one caller mentioned she supports Mittens b/c looks are important!!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Mittens is tough as nails???? When does your standup start??

He can’t even handle a Bret Baier interview and won’t call Maobama a socialist.

On 3 core issues Mittens agrees with Maobama:

1. socialized medicine.

2. global warming

3. big gov’t bailouts.

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

That’s exactly what Obama is about and we better fight back. Besides, will sinning be as fun when there’s no such thing as sin? :(

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

kakypat on February 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thank you. I appreciate the support.

I was being heavily sarcastic in the above comment. I think I’d previously used the same link upthread and it was scoffed at.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Probably because you know you’d lose?

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM

These type of little punk comments are what I’m sick of.

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

There’s different ways of fighting. We don’t need the in-your-face Christian warrior crap that Santorum is offering.

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

INC on February 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Well, then………………LOL at ME! lol

I missed that comment.

This must mean you are doubly not wrong. ;o)

kakypat on February 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The hypocrites Levin and Rush had their chance to earn respect by being consistent. Now they are going to have to work their 8 utts off toearn the rational followers back.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Hank’s base will be:

The Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I think that twerp person is starting a SUPERPAC for Hank/2012.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

What?

Mitt doesn’t believe in core conservative values such as:

limited government
fiscal responsibility
strong foreign policy
American exceptionalism
support for marriage and the family

Wow!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM

True

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

How are Levin and Rush hypocrites??

Amazing what disdain Mittbot wishy washy moderates like csdeven and the rest of the clowns have for real conservatives like Santorum, Rush, Levin, and Palin.

And you’re just like Mittens, too gutless to call into Levin. I even gave you his call in number…. COWARD!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

SUPERPAC for Hank/2012.

I’m in!!!

kakypat on February 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

If Obama wins I blame Allahpundit and Eric Erickson. Hope you guys are enjoying yourselves.

ignatzk on February 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

ignatzk on February 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Pretty much. Allah must be getting pretty nervous about tonight…

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

What a shocker:

Mittbots don’t listen to Rush or Levin !!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:21 PM

16 years of Rush and I was listening to Glenn Beck all the way back in 2000. Sean Hannity since day one. FOX News from the beginning. How about you? You bet I’m supporting Romney. If I want a Christian warrior I’ll watch the 700 Club. I don’t need to get my religion from a chump civil servant who’s never had a real job.

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

[W]ill sinning be as fun when there’s no such thing as sin? :(

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

So, you’re acknowledging that Fr. Sanctorum wants to outlaw “sinning”? And I supposed he’ll be the arbiter of what constitutes “sinning”?

Oh, good. Sign me up. /

Syzygy on February 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

And you haven’t learned anything!

You’re falling for liberal scare tactics. 12 years as a Senator, 4 years as a Congressman and Santorum never ONCE proposed any limits on contraception or anything like that.

Santorum ranked 6th I believe in being a fiscal conservative as a senator. He’s never fallen for the mandate or global warming like Mittens.

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

*suppose

Syzygy on February 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

As part of the GM bailout’s complex arrangements, a UAW-owned trust was given a 17.5 percent ownership stake the car company (now roughly 10% as stock has been sold) in exchange for various concessions including the union taking responsibility for health care costs of retirees. The president today argued that with reduced hours and pay, some worker rights relinquished, and roughly 700,000 auto worker retirees seeing a reduction in health care benefits, workers indeed gave things up in the bailout.

The visit was an “official” presidential event, not campaign-related, but the odd dynamic when the president took the stage to chants of “Four More Years!” after which a labor official told the crowd, “This is not a political event.”

That seemed a questionable assertion, given how the president continually referenced Romney, defending how his moves to save GM and Chrysler demanded change and accountability. “The other option we had was to do nothing, and allow these companies to fail,” the president said. “In fact, some politicians said we should. Some even said we should ‘let Detroit go bankrupt’” – another reference to Romney’s New York Times op-ed.

The crowd booed at that reference.

“You remember that?” the president said to the crowd that clearly did. “You know him?”

“Think about what that choice would have meant for this country,” the president said. “If we had turned our backs on you; if America had thrown in the towel; GM and Chrysler had gone under.”

The president used the event to not only reject Republicans referring to labor unions as a special interest group, he painted his support of the industry as part and parcel of his campaign platform: “”This notion that we should have let the auto industry die; that we should pursue anti-worker policies in hopes unions like yours will buckle and unravel – that’s part of that same old you’re-on-your-own philosophy that says we should just leave everybody to fend for themselves….We can’t afford to go back. Not now….The economy is getting stronger. The recovery is speeding up. And now is the time to keep our foot on the gas.”

Without directly asking the UAW workers to help his re-election campaign he said, “I’ll promise you this: as long as you’ve got an ounce of fight left in you, I’ll have a ton of fight left in me.” – President Obama

“It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments” — Mitt Romney

That’s the ticket, Mitt!!!

Subsunk

Subsunk on February 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I lost all respect for the Not-Romney crowd when they turned to the incompetent, flim-flam man Cain as a serious candidate and their savior. The Not-Romney crowd flip-flops from candidate to candidate, not really for anyone, just railing against Romney, perfectly content to bring the Republican Party down in flames…

Oracleforhire on February 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

And you haven’t learned anything!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I wasn’t born yesterday. I’ve never liked Santorum from the beginning. He’s a chump civil servant out to change the world and those kind of people are the most dangerous – just like Obama.

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

You’re just looking for Rush to validate your Mittbot cultism.
ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Uh. No. First, people who prefer Mitt like him in an intellectual, reasoned way – not anything like the “cultish” emotion-based adoration of St. Sarah Palinsky.

Second, just looking for objective sanity (which went out the window when he began to claim that people didn’t like Palin because they were “jealous”).

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Santorum and Newt have made Romney better and pushed him a little more to the right. I’m a Newtie but am leaning more toward Romney over Santorum in spite of hateful mittrats like csdeven.

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Wow! Just wow!!!

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

You don’t have a clue.

You have NOTHING to back up your smears against Santorum. You’re trying to equate a guy who believes in capitalism to a Marxist??

Mittens agrees with Maobama on the core issues of:

1. Socialized medicine.

2. Global warming.

3. Big gov’t bailouts.

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Mittens agrees with Maobama on the core issues of:

1. Socialized medicine.

2. Global warming.

3. Big gov’t bailouts.

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Not true, but then I could turn around and say Santorum agrees with Obama on the “core” issues of:

1. pro-union
2. open borders
3. Sonya Sotomayor
4. Arlen Specter
5. E-Verify
6. right-to-work law
7. growth of Department of Education
8. earmarks

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I do believe I left out:

9. amnesty for illegals

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

1. pro-union
2. open borders
3. Sonya Sotomayor
4. Arlen Specter
5. E-Verify
6. right-to-work law
7. growth of Department of Education
8. earmarks

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

You’re just as dishonest as Mittens.

1. Pro union: on this one, yes Santorum has for PA.

2. Open borders?? Complete BS. Santorum is 100% for building the fence and enforcing it.

3. Sotomayor?? Since when? Have a link?

4. Specter: It got us Alito and Roberts. Mittens voted for Paul Tsongsas and was an “indepedent during the time of Reagan-Bush.”

5. E verify is a good thing.

6. Unions: already talked about this under #2.

7. NCLB: Mittens was for this too!! The difference is Santorum admitted he was wrong, something MIttens has NEVER done! Santorum has pledged to repeal No Child Left Behind while Mittens has not and has stated he STILL likes parts of it!! Nice try trying to have this one both ways just like Mittens!!

8. Mittens asked for earmarks too.

And for the record:

1. Romneycare: The one thing Mittens has NOT flip flopped on!

2. Mittens had John HOldren as an advisor on how to implement carbon caps in MA.

3. Mittens DID support TARP and he also supported the Stimulus right before it was implemented!

THese are the CORE issues that Mittens is dead wrong on!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

jan3:

Mittens has flip flopped on amnesty himself. He was FOR the Bush amnesty proposal. Look it up.

Again he’s flip flopped on everything except Romneycare. That’s his only core position: mandating big gov’t run healthcare!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Wow! Just wow!!!
Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM

“Wow!!” what? You think Romney’s supporters are passionately in luvvvvv with him the way Palin’s are? There is no “cult” of Romney.

As for what I said about why I stopped listening to Rush, I’ve already made this point many times. The Jealousy argument is the most childish, annoying thing I’ve heard from El Rushbo.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I didn’t say anything about Rush or any other radio personality. Yes, the on going commentary of the supporters of Gov. Romney and oddly enough the detractors of Gov. Palin have been a real exercise in intellectual superiority. Not cult like at all.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Santorum voted against e-verify (he has another ridiculous excuse why), he voted with the majority Democrats and against the majority of his own party to confirm Sonya Sotomayor to the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals (springboard to the Supreme Court – link here) in 1998, Santorum is pro-amnesty for illegals, the story of Specter giving us Alito and Roberts is hypothetical bunk – Specter says he’s lying, and Santorum has a distinct, odorous pattern of selling his vote to the highest bidder – tossing his “core” out the window.

By the way, who decides what is and isn’t a “core” issue? Rush? levin? You?

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

There is no religious fervor for Romney. The same cannot be said for Palin. It’s not as if I’m the only one who has noticed this.

This has nothing to do with intellectual “superiority”, it’s the difference between people who are ruled more by emotions and those who are ruled more by intellect. Rush talks about this all the time when describing liberals. It doesn’t mean one group is “smarter” than the other, just that one group is more, well, since ddrtin brought it up…more susceptible to, er, cultish adoration. Also like, you know, Obama…

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 9:14 PM

So Rush sucks unless he is endorsing your theories? I know it isn’t about intellectual or emotional superiority, no need to convince me.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

AZ called for Romney. MI 33% of the vote in, Romney up by 3 and holding. Santorum who?

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM

kakypat,

No problem. I’ve picked up comments late in a thread and misinterpreted them. It’s easy to do and when a thread has several pages sometimes you don’t want to bother going way back.

I think that twerp person is starting a SUPERPAC for Hank/2012.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Funny! Twerp would do it.

Kittens W/O Mittens!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM

By the way, who decides what is and isn’t a “core” issue? Rush? levin? You?

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I’ll tell you what the core issues are b/c you have NO CLUE.

Socialized medicine and cap/tax are CORE ISSUES that Mittens has been in favor of.

Wake up!!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM

No, he sucks when he’s delusional. Which he can be at times. He is not a great strategist. He’s brilliant at explaining liberalism and smacking liberals down, and at explaining conservatism. No one does it better. But, say, when he justifies the fact a lot of people aren’t fond of Palin by saying they’re “jealous” that’s just delusional on his part. He over estimates the degree to which hard core purist conservatives can win. I don’t like his flip flopping on Romney – having called him a conservative only to turn around and say he wasn’t after nothing changed. And I didn’t like Operation Chaos in 2008. That had nothing at all to do with me. I thought it was a tacky, dishonest, unfunny move that would come back to bite us.

And if you know it’s not about intellectual superiority what point were you trying to make??

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 11:23 PM

jan3 on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 PM

The war is already waging and it will only get more intense. The question is: Which side are you on? If you’re not going to help, then you’re a hindrance. The progressives aren’t going to declare a truce, nor is there any tenable “middle ground” we can afford settling for with them (not that they’d have it). What would such a truce even be, anyway? Only half of the Constitution is a “living document” that means whatever they want it to mean?

CanofSand on February 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I missed the part about the national media and blogs, leading each other, against the current front runner each step of the way. I have not heard one good thing any of them have said or done thru those media outlets, with the exception being, when they attack one another.

Let’s put the narrative in the box in REALLY came from and stop pretending it was just the candidates.

John Kettlewell on February 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Hot Air pages are filled with bizarre, semi-deranged, cultish comments by some Romney supporters. Don’t believe me? Below are some comments csdeven made on this thread last night.

Mitt Romney sleeps with a pillow under his gun.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I could find more, but why bother. Csdeven is only the most obvious example of a Romney supporter who reminds me of Alex Forrest, Glenn Close’s character in “Fatal Attraction.”

Gladtobehere on February 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Gladtobehere on February 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Those comments are his attempt at humor. They’re not “cultish” they’re just unfunny jokes.

Buy Danish on February 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM

The ONLY reason Willard (from the RAT movie of the same name) is where he is, is that he bought and paid for Florida by LYING, LYING, LYING about Gingrich ALL OVER FLORIDA AND, for that matter, IOWA!!! RINO Romney (aka Obama-Lite) is just another east coast elitist using Axelrod tactics to eliminate the competition. It’s the Axelrod tactics that make me despise Willard (from the RAT movie of the same name)!?! The fact that he’s a (D) in (R)’s clothing doesn’t help!?!

Colatteral Damage on February 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM