Romney: “It’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments”

posted at 3:40 pm on February 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via TPM, a valentine from the nominal frontrunner to grassroots conservatives on the day of the big vote in Michigan. On the one hand, it is true that calling the Chinese “motherf***ers” or, say, mumbling about O’s birth certificate can get you traction with some populists who are spoiling for a take-it-to-’em campaign in November. Four words, my friends: “Republican frontrunner Donald Trump.”

On the other hand, John McCormack’s right. The reason we’ve cycled through Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Gingrich, and now Santorum as top-tier challengers to Mitt isn’t because they’ve sequentially one-upped each other in how much tasty rhetorical red meat they’re willing to plate. It’s because the base doesn’t trust Romney and will seize on whoever the most viable alternative is at any given moment. (That’s why Newt hasn’t dropped out. He’s one Santorum stumble away from being legit again and he knows it.) Look no further than the trends in national polling: Newt’s decline right after Florida almost perfectly coincides with Santorum’s surge. Anti-Romney voters simply dropped one (comparatively) conservative Not Mitt for another. What’s “exciting” them is their horror at nominating an uncharismatic serial flip-flopper whom they disdain, and who obviously disdains them. And tied up in all of this, of course, is the conventional wisdom that using “incendiary” rhetoric to win primary votes will make the eventual nominee less viable in the general by dragging him further away from the center. Given Romney’s track record of political opportunism, what would happen if you could prove to him statistically that calling Obama a socialist would attract independents in the general election instead of driving them away? Would Mitt still object to using that term on principle or would it be time for a second look at red meat? That is to say, how much of his smugness in the clip is justified by being genuinely above-the-fray and how much of it is just a pose aimed at dismissing Santorum as a cheap rhetorical bottom-feeder?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

My point was that if Romney hadn’t pushed to make Dem votes available in MI, then there wouldn’t have been any Dem votes possible for Santorum.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

oh, now you changed form ‘Mitt’s backers’ to Mitt…consistency :-)…

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Gov. Romney is misreading the base, not me. I am always calm and strive for polite but I am never a moderate. Which explains why I think his statement was ill advised.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

This is so much like another McCain that we are asking for it with this manicured soft-spoken progressive. Don’t go there. Anybody but. For now, it’s Santorum, Newt, or even Paul as a protest vote. Take it to the convention if need be.

anotherJoe on February 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

He’s so much like McCain that standing right next to him is….McCain.

This is similar to what Obama did during his ascension to the presidency. All the while he was showing that he was exactly what he claimed he wasn’t…doing exactly what he said he wasn’t doing. It was all there for anyone to see, but too many people didn’t want to believe it and voted for him.
We’re going to fall for it again.

Mimzey on February 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Then they will say that it’s ridiculous to expect Mitt Romney to call Obama a socialist – as if that’s really what the base wants.

He dumps on the Chinese and threatens trade wars.

He continuously throws the base under the bus.

MeatHeadinCA on February 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Since when are the Chinese part of the conservative base?

And read the comments here – of course the base wants him to call Obama a socialist.

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM

ones bigger than a man’s hand are rare.

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You need to take a break from Jeopardy!. SMOD will suffice. You’re overruled.

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

You know, it’s very easy to excite the base with incendiary comments.

Translation: You have nothing to fear from a second Obama term.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

He’s got a point, Mitt.

WisRich on February 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

yeah, but he forgot to mention that he was against the Dems voting in the primaries before he was for it :-)…and all withing less than 2 months…guess he’s either a hypocrite, or his cognitive dissonance struck, alas, again…but then I’m not holding my breath that he’s be held to the same purist standards when it come to his flip-flopping on issues…

‘In stark contrast to his campaign’s more recent courtship of Democrats, in January Santorum told Democrats that if they wanted to vote for a Republican, they should switch their party affiliation.

“It’s the Republican nomination, not the independent nomination or the Democratic nomination,” he said on the call. “If you’re a Democrat and you want to be a Democrat, then vote in the Democratic primary, not the Republican. If you want to vote in the Republican Party then become one.”

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

I’m kind of moderate. Probably shouldn’t be posting here, because of that. I’m trying to improve.

a capella on February 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

And yet the Powers That Be or the “establishment” or GOP or whatever you want to call them keep giving us the likes of McCain and now Romney. They haven’t figured out what is essentially a base primal scream.

AP: After this post, I’m not sure how anyone could call you a Romney shill, unless this was a one-fer. ;)

kim roy on February 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

You’re picking at minutiae to be declared the winner.

Good grief. So do I think the MI GOP establishment did it without conferring with Team Romney for their opinion and whether or not it would be wise? Of course not. Maybe Team Romney called and asked what MI GOP thought would be best.

If they did not confer, I would think it would be foolish to the extreme. So I’m giving them credit for using sense in that aspect.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

But maaaaaaan, you just wait to see how Mitt takes it to Obama in the general campaign!!!!

Idiots. This cycle is going to be the moderates’ last hurrah. Enjoy it.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

a capella on February 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

No reason not to be posting here because you are a moderate, or even if you are a democrat or even a Ron Paul supporter. The thing I like is truth in advertising. In this case, you admit that you are moderate, and we can use that to base how we respond to your comments. Obviously, you cannot give a whole run down of your disclaimers every post, and I do not really expect that. The people that bug me are the people who come here claiming to be conservative and supporting Willard Mitt Romney because he is conservative.

Thanks for your honesty and even if I do not agree with you, I will read what you have to say, and weigh it appropriately.

astonerii on February 28, 2012 at 5:30 PM

a capella on February 28, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You are a treasure, as for trying to improve, what does that mean?

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Incompetent doesn’t quite do Obama justice. The food stamp president is quite good at what he does.

mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM

What should Romney call him?

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

kim roy on February 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Poor AP is the fill in the blank scapegoat, he is whatever anyone wants him to be.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I think I just caused a hole in the space-time continuum – I actually like both Mitt and Sarah!

Is that wrong?

kjl291 on February 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Depends. Why do you like Romney and why do you like Palin?

Doomberg on February 28, 2012 at 4:35 PM

How generous – you will validate my thinking?

kjl291 on February 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Hi, I am Mitt Romney and I approve this message.

That conservative over there is a lying sack of manure. He is a disgrace to the world. He is criminal beyond belief and cannot be trusted with so much as a grain of rice without risk of destroying the planet with it that much responsibility. He voted for totally progressive policies, which is a terrible thing, because I support those policies, even though those policies were attached to a huge bill with many conservative things in it that I do not support which makes it even that much worse. Tea Partiers are extremists. The right wing of the party is insane. I did the same things as Obama is doing with the car companies as a venture capitalist.
You see, I do not have any extreme views at all. I am very mellow, so why don’t you gun clinging, bible thumping neanderthals get the hell out here and vote for your better, Willard Mitt Romney!?!

astonerii on February 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Is that wrong?

kjl291 on February 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM

How generous – you will validate my thinking?

kjl291 on February 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

People like you are begging for it. Take it like a man!

astonerii on February 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Rush has a few words.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

And from the transcript:

If he’s not careful, you know how we joke about John Kerry, who, by the way, served in Vietnam — been pointing that out now for eight years — it isn’t gonna be long before everybody’s gonna say, “Mitt Romney, who had extensive experience in the private sector.”

ROFL…

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

kjl291 on February 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I don’t think it’s a matter of validating, it’s just interesting.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

You know what’s really happening? With all this assumption that the base is going to rally for Romney, and the race will be won or lost on the backs of “independents,” Willard Milton is giving the base a big “f**k you.” Problem is, if Willard Milton ends up securing the nomination, there are going to be a lot of people who will look at that in the general election and say, “f**k you too, Willard.”

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Obama a socialist…?

… Now that’s just crazy talk.

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I don’t know, it’s not unlike when the Dems screw over the liberals, where else are they going to go?

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Yep.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

As in 2004, when the liberals were screwed over, they stay home.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

yeah, but then all that is your conjectures and speculations, nothing to back it up…you cannot point to a link or anything showing how Romney campaign influenced or had anything to do with the MI GOP establishment’s decision to hold open primaries, while Santorum’s hypocrisy and flip-flopping on this issue (I was against the Dems open in the GOP primaries before I was for it) is there for everybody to see…

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Just look at this thread. Read the comments. How many of them are calm and polite, except you and a few others?

The statement was ill advised, but it was true.

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Rush has a few words.
Mitt Romney (Who Has Extensive Experience in the Private Sector) Says He Won’t Make “Incendiary” Attacks on Obama to Excite the Conservative Base
INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Rush apparently is forgetting there is a difference between being an unaccountable radio shockjock-entertainer and being a serious contender for POTUS. He’ll be holding his breath a very long time waiting for Romney to break into a rousing chorus of “Barack The Magic Negro”.

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

As in 2004, when the liberals were screwed over, they stay home.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I’ll amend that a little. I think a lot of conservatives are going to write-in or vote third party as far as the presidential race goes, and they’ll vote GOP down ticket. I don’t know what I’ll do yet.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:50 PM

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Do you think the liberal in 2004 thought another term of W would cause serious damage to the country?

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

ROFL…

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Yeah, I saw that and I noticed that in the headlines he used parentheses with the phrase.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 5:48 PM

You know what? You’re just totally and completely right, and I’m just totally and completely wrong!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Awwwww. And those moderates are always sooooooo very polite and kind.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

No, it’s the exact opposite. These surges have come without any “instructions” from Limbaugh or whoever on how to vote. Usually the talk radio hosts are just riding the bandwagon. In the case of Gingrich, for example, he was already surging in SC when Palin and Perry chose to back him.

The bottom line is the base can’t stand Romney and doesn’t support him and won’t support him. They are looking for someone – ANYONE – who can stop him at this point because they’re terrified of getting another McCain or being trapped with another big spender. Romney’s #1 job has been to reverse this perception, and instead he and his supporters seem to revel in it.

The establishment could have easily fielded a compromise candidate like Chris Christie or Rick Perry when they began getting warning signals after the Obamacare battle. Instead, they chose to try to ram Romney through to teach the Tea Party a lesson about who was in charge, and now they are getting a well-deserved shellacking.

I’m getting tired of “talk radio” being blamed for everything. I expect to hear these kinds of arguments on Kos and not on Hot Air. Romney has had a friendly MSM for most of the primary along with support from most of the big conservative outlets such as FOX. There is no sinister so-con conspiracy and there is no “taking cues from Limbaugh.”

The base just doesn’t like Romney, plain and simple.

Doomberg on February 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Bingo.

I believe the “establishment” of Republican state chairman and national RNC bureaucrats has been so corrupted by donations and by the way things are done in DC they cannot recognize a true patriotic movement, such as the Tea Party, as anything but a threat to their cronyism and largesse for themselves. Look at how the RNC under Michael Steele couldn’t see how terrible their use of so much money to pad their own salaries and buy perks for the candidates, clothes to makeover a female governor into what they thought she should be instead of whom she was, and how the so called Republican campaign consultants (whom I firmly believe will work for either side of the aisle, but are most emphatically and assuredly liberal Dhimmicrats at heart) always advise our candidates against being who they are and allowing polls to tell them what to do instead of standing on principle, and actually doing what is mathematically and scientifically know to be required. Stop the spending…..

Now we get candidates and consultants who think social issues over fiscal issues are the best way to get visibility, press coverage, and “excite the base”, and commenters all over the Internet think this is a great idea…. for Dhimmicrats.

Conservatives are actually a pretty large group. Most don’t care about contraception, gay marriage, or anything except the Freedom to be left alone by the government to run their own lives. All you who claim that a single issue such as contraception is what drives you from Santorum to Obama are just idiots caliming to be good citizens.

Conservatives all want the money they paid into Social Security, but they will damn sure do without if the country goes broke and they lose that perk. They want their promised Medicare from the government because they have paid into it, but they will damn sure do without if it goes broke and the country goes bankrupt. And they all want Ronald Reagan as a candidate, but he is dead. And none of the jerks in our primary is a good enough conservative to excite the base. So we are definitely unhappy with our choices.

But we will vote for whomever comes out of this as the nominee. What other choice do we have? To allow the Communist in Chief to continue to have his way and drive us all down to ruin? Yeah, that’ll sell well when we are broke and starving. Calling us incendiary jerks who only hate the President because 1. he is a socialist (true label), 2. he is black (not true that we give a sh*t), or he is not right wing (true if right wing means conservative) is BS for those here and in the press and in the DNC. Those of you who claim the “anybody but Romney” crowd is wrong based on those claims are just as hateful and misguided as those who claim the base is racist because we don’t like Mr. Obama.

The Anybody but Romney folks are equally incendiary when they cast aspersions on Mitt that he isn’t a good enough conservative to take on Obama. Mitt seems a decent man. He isn’t a staunch conservative and he has a spine resembling a water wiggle, but he may end up being all we’ve got. And we all will support him IF AND WHEN he becomes the nominee because the alternative means civil war in this country, and death and destruction to come for sure.

We want a conservative candidate. We aren’t going to get one good enough to satisfy us. We aren’t going to vote third party and guarantee Mr. Obama a second term. Our only backup plan is to elect conservative representatives and senators. So make sure that happens and we will have done the best we can do. If Mr. Obama gets re elected, and continues to drive the country off the cliff, we won’t have any alternative but to stockpile food, water and ammo and wait it out or rise in rebellion against a republic that has become tyrannous to us. What we’ve built for the last 50 years will be gone (And make no mistake, conservatives built it, liberals didn’t), and we will have to start all over again. Just make sure you are strong enough to resist the urge to become a victim and don’t allow liberals to have a dime from you. Stick together and we’ll all survive it, and be stronger in the end.

So stop whining about what lousy candidates we’ve got. They are all we’ve got. After the nominee prevails, whomever it is, stick up for him and get rid of the Communists in DC. Or else civil war will come. Stop it now before it arrives…..

Subsunk

Subsunk

Subsunk on February 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Funny how I’ve always that there was a great deal of truth behind his bombast.

Even if I’ve disagree with some of his bombast, I’ve seldom disagreed with what he has to say.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Rhetorically? Yeah. In a practical sense? All that matters is the agenda. If there’s a slight delay, no worries. They have the media and the education establishment.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Gelsomina on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I know that they are out there, I do not believe they make up the majority of the grassroots base and that the statement is unhelpful. At this point it is spilled milk and he cannot unsay it but I sure hope he can buy a clue as to why the search continues. Not matter how pointless.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You are a treasure, as for trying to improve, what does that mean?Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:31 PM

The tongue in cheek thingy. Can’t help it. Genetic, I think.

a capella on February 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Awwwww. And those moderates are always sooooooo very polite and kind.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Yes, I’ve always thought that being called an idiot or a moron around here were just terms of polite conversation.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

You’ll be holding your breath even longer waiting for a President Romney.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

High gas prices, high unemployment and more hostages in Egypt, a platform we can build on.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Mitt once again demeans the base.

Screw you Mitt.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

a capella on February 28, 2012 at 5:56 PM

LOL! I thought you were trying to become more conservative and I wondered what that would mean to you.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

This seems like overt pandering to the Dems and Libs voting today. Mitt is not stupid. Telling off Conservatives is always a big winner in those circles, as well as in the mainstream media. Say what you will about Santorum and those robocalls…at least that guy’s subtle about it.

RepubChica on February 28, 2012 at 6:00 PM

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

EVERYBODY READ THIS POST TEN TIMES

It rocks. Explains it perfectly. +2 gazillion

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Well, I’m not responsible for Dem Lite Romney’s being out there as the frontrunner (for most of the time, anyway). If it’s so vital that the incumbent Dem should be beaten, then the establishment should consider pimping a winner next time.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:58 PM

And stagflation. the only thing missing is high interest rates. But the Fed has a total cap on those right now as they just monetize the debt that does not sell on the market.

astonerii on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Subsunk on February 28, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I think it’s fair not to vote for Gov. Romney in the primary but I will struggle to understand in the general.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I’m really tired of Mitt going soft on our enemy and then poking a stick into our eyes, the ones who are obligated to vote for him in the general.

I’m may not feel so obligated Mitt, your freaking flip flopping patty-cake Rino.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Mittbots attack conservatives more than they attack Obama, just like the object they worship, Mittens.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM

No one is obligated to vote for any one. I vote for the best long term outcome. Usually it is the (R), this time around might be the first in a while where it is not the (R).

astonerii on February 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

the establishment should consider pimping a winner next time.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I think it is interesting that you think they have a clue what a winner is. But I do believe that they think statistically and historically that The Won’s second term is inevitable.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Why not just point out the actual results of Obowma’s energy policies…

… and his economic policies, and foreign policies, and the crony capitalism, and “Fast and Furious”, and the lack of a budget, the Trillions in spending, the explosion of debt, the regulations, Obowma’s EPA and FCC, all of the Executive Orders, the Czars, the non-recess appointments, the lawlessness and the disregard for the Constitution?

Romney _has_ been talking about some of those things, most especially the economic-related issues. But when he does, conservatives don’t hear him. “He’s plastic”, I’ve been reading for months. “He’s boring”, as if style were more important than substance. He could say some of the exact same things as Palin, or Santorum, or Gingrich, or Paul, yet I come to conservative blogs and read “He doesn’t mean it. RomneyCare proves he’s a flipflopping liar!”.

The same things that excite conservatives can be spun by liberals, and quite effectively, to portray someone as a radical extremist. Palin, for example.

Confutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Mitt Romney can ride a motor without the cycle.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

“I’m not willing to light my hair on fire to try and get support.”

oh but you would pimp your mother and slime conservatives tho. I guess your hair is so danged important. what a tool.

I am severely angry with Mittens.

Hank 2012

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

[T]he Powers That Be or the “establishment” or GOP or whatever you want to call them keep giving us the likes of McCain and now Romney.

kim roy on February 28, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Can someone please explain that to me? How is the “establishment” “giving” you anyone? Any qualified American can run for president.

Syzygy on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Funny how I’ve always that there was a great deal of truth behind his bombast.
INC on February 28, 2012 at 5:55 PM

When he started out – in ’88, I believe – he was something of a novelty in a dying medium (talk radio) and, in fact, did much to save the format.

But there’s no lack of political shock-jocks nowadays and his particular shtick has gotten somewhat long in the tooth after nearly a quarter of a century. I believe his listener numbers have been dwindling – that’s natural, most people tend to get over having the same thing for breakfast after a while.

However, it’s a steady job, it’s certainly better than digging ditches and he’s set financially for life. Since there’s really nothing for him to move on to as a “next step” in life I imagine he’s fine doing the same ol’, same ol’ until even he gets totally bored doing it.

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Mitt Romney can lay off people by dialing the phone with his middle finger.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. From the way he’s handled the primaries I figured Mitt decided conservatives were negligible to securing the nomination. IMO he decided in 2008 that to win he needed to network with GOP party leaders and build a campaign machine. But conservatives were no big deal. His stress at not having it in the bag by now led to this moment of truth.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I am severely angry with Mittens.

Hank 2012

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

LOL

I want the bumper sticker!

Meow!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Show of hands, who knows that the English translation of Al Qaeda is the base?

Mitt isn’t going to pander and he isn’t going to disrespect the office of the President. He will be our nominee and he will be our next POTUS. Deal with it, base!

MJBrutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

SparkPlug on February 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Hank’s base will be:

The Kittens Who Lost Their Mittens!

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Except for his rigid, preachy soc-con values, Santorum is just as much of a Republican progessive as Romney is. And neither is particularly persuasive as a candidate.

This latest Romney remark could have been lifted from Debbie Downer’s playbook. Take the Dale Carnegie refresher course, Mitt, and enroll Santorum in the beginner’s version.

BTW Mitt has had noticeably undue influence on the primary rules in various states. Is that supposed to be an example of his team’s organization, or is it an example of how closely he was working with the national machine to make him the inevitable candidate, clinching the nomination early?

Go Newt! Play it slow and steady with your solid platform.

onlineanalyst on February 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I strenuously object to that conclusion. Mitt is not a firebrand. He’s a buttoned-up, statesmanlike kinda guy and it’s not in his nature to try to win, say, the Tin Foil Hat vote. While he may make awkward comments about the height of trees, he won’t be telling us a JFK speech made him want to “throw up”. Guess which is the better strategy to defeat Obama, maintain our majority in the House and gain a majority in the Senate.

Cue Jeopardy theme music…

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

MJBrutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM
Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

So we’re terrorists who wear tin foil hats?

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

MJBrutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Pretty wide line between pandering and denigrating. Unnecessary error.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 6:24 PM

So we’re terrorists who wear tin foil hats?

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Excitable’ terrorists… and don’t forget to vote for Romney if he wins the nomination, we know how you types can get all bitter and clingy over things. /

sharrukin on February 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Conservatives can think for themselves. They’ll probably just stay home and say, “F**k you, America.”

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Mitt isn’t going to pander and he isn’t going to disrespect the office of the President!

MJBrutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

How much fan mail have you sent this guy the past few months? Classic case of celebrity worship, these magnanimous traits and naive expectations you put on the poor man’s shoulders. No wonder he’s got Secret Service by his side every time he’s out in public.

Reality is Mitt panders. Recently, his longstanding pandering to the conservative base has been going over like a lead balloon so he’s now entered the ‘If I can’t have you, nobody will!’ stage of acceptance and this is what we get. Spending untold millions in tearing down every conservative running opposite him and now rubbing his back on the Obama-protective media’s ankles, purring like a good little pootie cat.

RepubChica on February 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

to be sure that’s Santorum’s territory…

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Show of hands, who knows that the English translation of Al Qaeda is the base?

MJBrutus on February 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Wow, now that’s an awesome idea. Email Mitt Romney’s campaign and have him drop that line about “the base” being a bunch of terrorists and how he isn’t going to disrespect the office of the President by giving those right-wing terrorists the unhinged rant they demand of their candidates. Giving the middle finger to the base is FULL OF WIN!!!!! /

Aitch748 on February 28, 2012 at 6:35 PM

The desperation of the anti-Romney paranoids is palpable. Romney has “disdain” for them? They’re the ones who have vowed to vote for ObaMao if Romney gets the nomination.

cicerone on February 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

cicerone on February 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

talking about contradictions to people plagued with cognitive dissonance problems…non-starter

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

cicerone on February 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM

jimver on February 28, 2012 at 6:39 PM

GFY rombots. I have said numerous times til I lost count, I personally have no intention of staying home. But for Romney to behave as if he has the base locked up and he can depend on that 40% no matter what?! STUPID.

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Thanks you self-righteous litmus testers. When the dinosauer imitation pope goes down in flames, a lot of us will thank all you great principled conservatives.. Oh you held to your principles but that is all you have. The rest of us have this creep for four more years. Please go find another party to latch on to and STFU and you all can nit pick each other to death….hopefully!

AReadyRepub on February 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

So we’re terrorists who wear tin foil hats?
INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Whaaaaatttt?

Oops, missed this gem:

Seriously? What “smugness”? I didn’t see anything “smug” about it. It’s not his nature to use inflammatory rhetoric. You’d be hard-pressed to disprove this statement, and to this point he has been consistent throughout his campaign (well before Sanctorum was a factor). He has gone out of its way (to a fault) not to engage in the “bushhitlernazi” garbage we saw last time around…

Meanwhile, you want to talk about “smug”?? The insufferable Santorum has the “smug” vote tied up, what with his self-righteous, sanctimonious, priggishness. He and Obama, that is….

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

sharrukin on February 28, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to include that.

We’re also excitable terrorists who wear tin foil hats while clinging bitterly to our guns and Bibles. Sometimes we even have a sense of humor which prevents us from soberly realizing the depth of the error of our ways.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 6:44 PM

AReadyRepub on February 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Yeah! Cause it’s over! The nomination is Romney’s to lose, and he’s the only one who can beat Obama or something! Yeah, that’s it!

/rombots

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Cue Jeopardy theme music…

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

What is the John McCain Pathway to Victory??

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I don’t know, Obama is a motivator.

Cindy Munford on February 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

AReadyRepub on February 28, 2012 at 6:41 PM

LOL…we probably will, and you squishes can fight with the Libertarians to see who can crack 2% first.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:47 PM

The so called “base” who run around hotair with their hair on fire screaming school yard insults at Obama and then threatening to elect Obama unless the rest of us dont wise up and convert to their “religion”, are exactly how different than the threats we get from terrorists?

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Well, unless a GOP rival passes him in the polls. Then he takes the Zippo to the old Brylcreem easily enough.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Seriously? What “smugness”? I didn’t see anything “smug” about it.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM

He’s smug all right, but last I checked it’s not a crime. Look at the pic of Romney headlining this thread–that’s a classic smug expression, BD, captured perfectly by the very humorous creative team running the show on this blog. Come on, you’re smarter than this. Perception.

RepubChica on February 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

What is the John McCain Pathway to Victory??
ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Not supporting McCain-Feingold, being the final “NO” vote on ANWR, wishin’ and a hopin’ that Joe Lieberman (D- CT) would be your running mate, and stuff like that? Oh wait!

Romney is exponentially more conservative than McCain. McCain lost because he became a sputtering fool when the market collapsed.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

HINT: The word “smug” has nothing to do with how one’s hair looks.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Mitt Romney sleeps with a pillow under his gun.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:49 PM

HINT: The word “smug” has nothing to do with how one’s hair looks.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

HINT: A Zippo is a lighter. Fire. Hair on.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Behind every good man is a good woman. Behind Mitt Romney are the bodies of his primary opponents.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Maybe more like supporting RomneyCare, AGW garbage…and say, didn’t Romney support McCain’s “comprehensive immigration regorm” back in 2005? Why yes, I believe he did.

Anyway, I thought Romney was going to bring the wrath of God down on Obama in the general election campaign. Now how exactly is he going to do this and not be called “incendiary”?

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

* reform

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Still waiting for the instruction pamphlet from the Sanctimonious Sanctourm campign, with the list of Rick-Approved sexual activities we are allowed to practice.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Why, csdeven. Just a few weeks ago you were calling Santorum “honorable”, unlike Gingrich. But that was when Santorum was still in the single digits and wasn’t posing a threat to Ol’ Brylcreem.

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Wishcast much?

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM

When you can’t debate, obfuscate!

/JohnnieCochrane

gryphon202 on February 28, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I don’t want to set the world my hair on fire.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM

At the next open registration I really want a sock puppet named Incendiary.

INC on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

ones bigger than a man’s hand are rare.
whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You need to take a break from Jeopardy!. SMOD will suffice. You’re overruled.
mike_NC9 on February 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Naw – not only would a meteor fail to take out an ant colony, it would most likely be burned to nothing before it got even anywhere near the ground. So it’s asteroid or bust, I say!

Interesting, quick read:
What Are The Differences Between Asteroids And Meteors?

whatcat on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Hey Mittbots:

Now is your big chance….

Levin is taking calls from Mittbots only for the next hour on why we should vote for Mittens.

Try to think of something good b/c I sure can’t think of one single reason to vote for Mitt Romneycare in the primary.

Be sure to reveal your hotair screen name when you plead your case….

(877)-381-3811

NOW THANK ME FOR YOUR CALL !!

LevinFan on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:52 PM et al…

HINT: A Zippo is a lighter. Fire. Hair on.

Yes, I got that. Ain’t gonna happen.

Maybe more like supporting RomneyCare [like Gingrich], AGW garbage [like Gingrich and Palin] …and say, didn’t Romney support McCain’s“comprehensive immigration regorm” back in 2005? [not exactly] Why yes, I believe he did [only if you like taking things out of context].

Anyway, I thought Romney was going to bring the wrath of God down on Obama in the general election campaign. Now how exactly is he going to do this and not be called “incendiary”ddrintn on February 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Ha! I think Santorum’s got the “wrath of God” thingy all locked up.

Buy Danish on February 28, 2012 at 7:05 PM

For Valentines Day, Mitt Romney gives his wife the still beating hearts of his primary opponents.

csdeven on February 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM