Video: Meet Hank, the cat that’s running for Congress

posted at 6:35 pm on February 27, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Want the rats out of Washington? Who better to elect than Hank, a cat that can smell ‘em out and will be to quick to pounce on any opportunity to serve his constituents? The nine-year-old street cat wants Virginia’s open U.S. Senate seat — and he’s challenging former Virginia governors George Allen (R) and Tim Kaine (D) to get it. According to his official campaign materials, he’s “a proud Independent” with “real world experience, a unique point of view and limitless energy.” Plus, his campaign spot is one of the more positive ads I’ve seen this cycle, a reminder that America is “the greatest land of all.”

The ad I like, but I have a sincere exit question: Do stunts like this one — or Stephen Colbert’s campaign in South Carolina — make a mockery of the electoral process or do they provide a little needed levity in the midst of a serious and often discouraging season of politics?

Comments

Hank for POTUS!!! What an improvement!!!

NickDeringer on February 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I’ll send him a few bucks-mainly because I don’t want my 3 meowers of eeeevil to kill me in my sleep.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Whatever his positions are, I support them.

Unless Hank supports higher taxes for dog owners, I may not like that…

Jeddite on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Can we add Hank to our choices on the next Hot Gas presidential poll? Lawn Gnome may have some competition.

conservative pilgrim on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

They make a mockery of the politicians who deserve it. This is like a political cartoon come to life.

The politicians are the ones who pull stunts that mock the voters.

INC on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I wouldn’t want to meet the miserable schmuck who would get worked up over this.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

haha. I saw the photo and said to myself, “I wonder if twerp will hit this thread?” And then I clicked and there you were. you were second Bishop.

LOL

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Now THERE is a candidate I can get excited about!

huskerdiva on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Free scratching posts, then?
Exit: Politics is, by it’s nature, depressing Tina. We need a few of these stunts to not be sucked into perpetual negativity.

nobar on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Must be a SuperPac ad – there was no “I’m Hank and I approved this message”.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

There’s nothing wrong with some mocking of the electoral process.

joana on February 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Well he would have just gotten my vote. Half the reason America is falling apart is because we’ve embraced the “thriving on drama and conflict” media’s resulting in destructive devisive politics where both sides are pitted against each other vis-a-vis back alley dog fights where if either side wins, the other half believes the world is about to end, no matter who wins or loses.

Hank seems to rise above that stageshow we’ve become so addicted to. Bread and circuses=Entertainment value and personal destruction.

I’m as guilty as anybody else. Thanks Hank, for showing the way.

Boomer_Sooner on February 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Twerp orders “Hank for Senate” t-shirts for her kittehz in 4…3…2…

predator on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Whatever his positions are, I support them.
Unless Hank supports higher taxes for dog owners, I may not like that…
Jeddite on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

PFFFFFFT… this is a cat we’re talkin’ about.
He supports cat food factories “reeducation camps” for dogs, run by PETA.

Marcola on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

The politicians are doing a fine job of that by themselves.

You’re probably right; they don’t need the help.

RedCrow on February 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Rick Santorum / Hank the Cat 2012!

Varchild on February 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM

“Limitless energy” my butt. You know he sleeps more than his competition combined.

Although he’s still an improvement, I’m sure.

Shay on February 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Twerp orders “Hank for Senate” t-shirts for her kittehz in 4…3…2…

predator on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Sasha is a Christie supporter(if you saw her you’d see why), and Sheldon/Penny are ‘Occupiers’-Occupy the table, Occupy the bed, Occupy the bathtub-very DUMB occupiers. Penny also has species-identity issues. She barks and howls.
Next time-we’re bringing home Maine Coons!
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Hank/Sparta 2012!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Nah… he’d find congresspeople asleep at work and he’d say “GOOD JOB!!!”. One day, you find a dead fish on your desk with a note that says, “Found you staring out the window all day. Dead fish on your desk. YOU EARNED IT!”

Here’s some more.

MrX on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Elect another pussy!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

He’d better be prepared. His opponents are just going to try to paint him as another insider fat cat.

I’d vote for Hank. I live in NY. Compared to Schmuckie and his lackey Gillibrand, a cat would be a drastic change in favor of entitlement reform and sound fiscal policy.

Gingotts on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Neither. Hank has a perfect right to run as a serious contender. This is still a democracy, after all.

Burke on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Hank/Sparta 2012!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I’m in.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Isn’t America the greatest land of all despite the US Senate?

OldEnglish on February 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

he’s the most believable politician i’ve seen this year

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’m afraid I’d have to hold my nose to vote for Hank, as I’m allergic to cats.

As someone pointed out above, the politicians make a mockery of the electoral process on their own. And even though it wasn’t part of the electoral process, Congress hiring a speed-reader to go through a cap and trade bill was their mocking way of sticking their thumb in the eye of those who believe Congressional members should actually pay attention to what they’re voting on.

So kudos to the creator of this ad…almost makes me wish I lived in Virginia.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Two words: Pat Paulson for President.

Warner Todd Huston on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

The MSM and the candidates they cover for make a mockery of it just fine, thanks.

RedNewEnglander on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Hank/Garfield 2012

Left Coast Right Mind on February 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Of course, Hank wouldn’t be the first critter to win an elective office:
Annandale civic association elects dog as president

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Is santorum against spaying cats?

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Is santorum against spaying cats?
Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Yes – it’s definitely Satanic.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM

No doubt his opponents are waiting for just the right time to spring that tape of Hank rolling around in catnip at the local cathouse with some underaged sex kitten…..

TeresainFortWorth on February 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Yep, its time for cat politicians. At least they are smart enough to stick their neck out when its necessary!

Valkyriepundit on February 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I, for one, welcome our new feline overlords.

/Kent Brockman

Left Coast Right Mind on February 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Other canine politicos:

Mayor Lucy Lou

Bosco the Dog Mayor

Devlin Turner

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Spay-tan has targeted the U.S.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

TeresainFortWorth on February 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

The pictures of Hank licking himself will be scandalous, move over Tony Weiner!

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 7:05 PM

We need Hank! His attitude makes him incorruptible:

“If you rub my back … well, then you rub my back.”

Valkyriepundit on February 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Valkyriepundit on February 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

And they won’t back down from terrorist invaders.

predator on February 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM

“Virginia Senate candidate caught playing with jingle balls” – film at 11….

TeresainFortWorth on February 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TEA PARTY. Here’s your IRS AUDIT Package. Hugs & Kisses – Barak Obama.

(On a positive not, Tea Party groups are already planning a conference call to organize a response).

Mutnodjmet on February 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Mutnodjmet on February 27, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Me and the Mister were audited twice last year.
Twice.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Typical fat cat.

chewmeister on February 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Not as bad as the mockery Dear Liar has made of our political process. He gets to decide when the Senate is in recess?

rbj on February 27, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Hey! Hank really CAN run for Congress — just not very well!!

Chuckles3 on February 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Christina Romer, chairman of President Obama’s Council of Economic Advisers, was giving what was billed as her “valedictory” before she returns to teach at Berkeley, and she used the swan song to establish four points, each more unnerving than the last:

She had no idea how bad the economic collapse would be. She still doesn’t understand exactly why it was so bad. The response to the collapse was inadequate. And she doesn’t have much of an idea about how to fix things.

Hank the cat has exactly the same understanding of the economy that the majority of President of Obama’s advisers have.

Expertise of that caliber should serve Hank well in the Senate.

Should scandal later befall him for Tom Catting around, he will have the same qualifications for tenure at Berkeley as Christina Romer.

MessesWithTexas on February 27, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Honestly, that cat couldn’t be any more disinterested in the welfare of the American public than the present POTUS, so why not?

RebeccaH on February 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Since he’s running for Senate, is Hank 30 years old yet? (In cat years, of course)

Bigfoot on February 27, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Me and the Mister were audited twice last year.
Twice.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yeeesh.

You know, if Hank promises to audit the Obamas twice, he will have my vote.

Mutnodjmet on February 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Hank/T-Paws 2012

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Do stunts like this one … make a mockery of the electoral process…?

No. The R and D candidates do that.

BoxHead1 on February 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

It’s good your a tabby Hank. If you’re a female cat—

The GOP will spay you.

BoxHead1 on February 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Cat Scratch Fever 2012!!!

Roy Rogers on February 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

It’s good your a tabby Hank. If you’re a female cat—

The GOP will spay you.

BoxHead1 on February 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

If you’re a female fish… the GOP will fillet you.
Hank would probably go for that.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Bah – this is ridiculous. I only vote doggeh-party.

beancounter on February 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Bah – this is ridiculous. I only vote doggeh-party.

beancounter on February 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Dogs are communists.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Wouldn’t being just a US Senator be a demotion for a cat?

malclave on February 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Hank is way too smart and good looking to be a Democrat. Go, Hank, you have my vote and the votes of my 2 cats. If you were a Democrat I could have my dead cats vote for you too.

lukjuj on February 27, 2012 at 7:48 PM

my turkish maine c^^n angora ran on the Angry Black Cat platform in 2008 .

the other angry black pussy won of course. and here we are.

mittens on February 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Probably do a better job that the idiot we have now.

LizardLips on February 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM

mittens on February 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Maine Coon/Norwegian Forest Cat 2012!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Question: Can you REALLY make a mockery of the electorial process? Or has it become a mockery of itself, thanks to 17,000 debates and Ron Paul?

HANK THE CAT RULES!!!!!

codekeyguy on February 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM

That is cute “street” cat :). …maybe they can arrange to have him with a halo in a couple of his pictures?

For his team of advisors, he can have:

Science Cat

Business Cat

c4 on February 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

I’m in! Where do we send contributions?

Gearbox on February 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Well, now that Hank’s a candidate for Senate, at least no one will lash him to the roof of his car and hose him off because the staff forgot to put a catbox up in his cage.

Right, Willard?

victor82 on February 27, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Hank for POTUS!!! What an improvement!!!

NickDeringer on February 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM

TYradeing one pu$$y for another.

mechkiller_k on February 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Is he American citizen?

Archivarix on February 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Showed this to a Pakistani co-worker

“Okay, okay, but who is Hank?”

“Hank is the cat.”

“The cat is running?! I do not think this is allowed!”

Apparently this kind of humor does not translate well.

TallDave on February 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Vote Hank, because his platform is the platform of the climbing and scratching post.

The Nerve on February 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Mittens, is that you?

Fuquay Steve on February 28, 2012 at 12:45 PM

That cat looks pretty healthy for thirty years old. Can we see a birth certificate?

fast richard on February 28, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I think a dog would actually get some votes. I’d suggest a German Shepherd, but others may have different suggestions.

J.E. Dyer on February 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM

“Hank” is an excellent name and a preferred choice of voters, as proven by Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf winning over Leonardo DiCaprio in People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People poll over a decade ago….

bandarlog on February 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM