Santorum adviser on Michigan: We have already won

posted at 1:20 pm on February 27, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Polls show Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum still neck-and-neck in Michigan, but one Santorum staffer says the former Pennsylvania senator has “already won” there.

“We have already won,” Santorum adviser John Brabender said on CNN. “No matter what the results are, we’ve won. This is Romney’s home state.” …

Both Santorum’s campaign and Romney’s campaign have been spending a significant amount of resources in Michigan. Brabender argued that the more money the Romney campaign spends there, the less it will have for primary states on Super Tuesday.

“The Romney campaign is spending a fortune they never expected to spend in Michigan, and every dollar they spend in Michigan is a dollar they don’t have on Super Tuesday,” he said.

With these remarks, Brabender simultaneously reminded voters that it was and is an accomplishment for Santorum to be competitive in Michigan and tamped down expectations of an actual Santorum victory in the Mitten State.

Polls don’t necessarily indicate that Santorum needs to mitigate expectations, though. While a new survey from Public Policy Polling shows Romney with a slight edge over Santorum, other polls favor the former Pennsylvania senator. A new poll from the American Research Group, for example, gives Santorum the advantage — albeit a very small one. According to ARG, Santorum leads Romney 36 to 35.

Brabender’s argument that Romney’s Super Tuesday showing will be less impressive in proportion to the amount of time and money he had to spend in Michigan makes sense, too — and, indeed, polls have already shown Santorum with sizable leads in at least a couple Super Tuesday states. A new poll from Quinnipiac University, for example, shows him with a 7-point lead in Ohio.

Then again, the false-self-esteem-boosting “we’re all winners” line doesn’t apply to the presidential primary process. As Mitt Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul put it, “You don’t win by losing,” and, if Santorum does lose Michigan, he might also lose some of the momentum he’s built in Super Tuesday states. Much of the excitement about Rick Santorum has stemmed from the mounting evidence that he can successfully challenge Mitt Romney all the way to the nomination. Losing Michigan won’t add to that evidence.

Tomorrow matters. Who wins matters — no matter what campaign advisers on either side say.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think Santorum could bring the party back together if he is the nominee.

Of course he can. I would vote for him just as any sane republican would.

The problem is the independents and dissafected democrats would not.

Thats why I’m for Romney

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Santorum will lose MI. But I will consider it a victory for Santorum if Willard cannot win comfortably in his “home” state

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Well, now you’ve changed your mind from what you previously have said. What did you do… with the diaper?

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

My reply to liberal got eaten. I spent some time breaking down the commercial content.

Based on my unscientific analysis of the ads on tv, (my mute button finger is exhausted!!), Romney is probably putting 20 ads on the airwaves (all channels, all the time)for every 1 ad that Rick can put up, given their funding war chest disparity.

ALL of Mitt’s ads are telling us why Rick is the devil. He is completely ignoring the other 2 candidates. These are the ads paid for by both the campaign and the superpac. Ron Paul joined in the pile on this past week just killing Santorum on the spending votes he made, but Ron Paul doesn’t even end his ads by telling us we should vote for him.

Rick’s ads rotate between hitting Romney for his negative ads (that was was hilarious), and an effective one hitting Mitt on he liberal positions on issues that just showed up this week. Then the next Rick ad you see, is telling us why we should vote for Rick, talking about what he stands for etc. So Rick is balancing his ads between hitting his opponent and positive ads on why we should vote for him.

Contrast those to Mitt’s ads. EVERY ad is why Rick is the devil. Even the FEW ads that end up at the end with soft, wonderful, uplifting music in the background with a voice over why Mitt is so great, START with a majority of the ad telling us Rick is the devil.

Now let’s discuss robocalls. They are polluting our homes with robo calls. I answer the phone and immediately hang up, so I don’t know who is doing the most calls. But based on my caller ID count, they have been coming in between 7 and 10 calls per day. I work from home, so they are just pi$$ing me off. They are coming in on my mom’s line and I won’t have that active in May since she is going to an “age in place” home then. I am also going to make sure she changes her number when she relocates because most of the calls she gets are dems and liberal charities hounding her for money (she is a life long dem). I have fiecely guarded my cell phone number, so I am spared all of this nonsense on my cell phone.

So if Mitt loses Michigan, it will be a combination of voter backlash against his campaign tactics, a rejection of his RINOism and suspicion that he won’t “repeal Obamacare, etc”, and a possible effective “operation chaos” by the union Dems in the SE part of the state.

People here in MI are not necessarily FOR Santorum over any other NOT MITT candidate, but have strategically voted for the NOT MITT candidate who is leading in their area. I know a lot of Gingrich voters here who prefer Gingrich over Santorum, but voted for Santorum to block a Romney win.

So this is what is going on here on the ground in the west side of Michigan. What is going on in your states that are voting next week? Are you being bombarded like we are?

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

If Santorum wins tomorrow, America is the REAL victor.

It’s just Willard’s money and his paid stooges that are propping up Willard in Michigan.

Emperor Norton on February 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

liberal4life is just trolling. I recommend that we stop feeding it.

It is recommended not to respond to liberal4life-he is in same class as TESLA

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Michigan: wake up. If Santorum wins tomorrow, Obama is the REAL victor. It is Obama money and Obama stooges that are propping up Santorum in Michigan.
matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The left has already announced they will try to sabotage the Mich vote to swing it to Santorum.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

If Santorum wins tomorrow, America is the REAL victor.

If Santoum wins in Michigan tomorrow the campaign moves to super tuesday

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM

lib4life, I have book for you to read. Darkness At Noon by Arthur Koestler. It will send “tingles up your leg” when you understand what your pals will do to you when they get total control. Have a nice day, Comrade!

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Rick is the devil.

Sorry I couldn’t resist

LOL

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Karen instead of writing Essays to people most of whom don’t live in Michigan you should be making calls for Santorum to people who DO live in Michigan.

I agreed with your earlier post about the breakdown of delegates that done by congessional district will give Santorum more delegates.

Santorums extreme social views make him POISON in the general election.

I will vote for him but he’s a loser in the general

gerrym-mittbot-moderate-great arbiter of the knowing -or is that unknowing)

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

At the most, it will possibly skew the results of just 5 of the 14 congressional districts. There are not enough dems in the other part of the state to influence the outcome in those districts.

The the key to figuring out if this “operation chaos” plan of the dems has been effective, look at the vote totals for the 5 congressional districts in the Detroit area. If Mitt does not carry them with a comfortable lead, or even loses any of those 5 districts, then the unions and the dems did cause some mischief.

Of all of the states who have voted so far, including tomorrow, how many have been really and effective, CLOSED primaries? In MI, you just request your ballot of choice, doesn’t matter how you are registered. My liberal sister and her husband are voting for Gingrich here in my congressional district. She thinks Mitt comes across as a weasley used car salesman, and Rick S is a crazy wingnut religious zealot (ya, my sister’s ONE issue for voting is pro-choice). I made sure my mom’s absentee ballot was the Dem ballot to avoid another crossover voter. That ballot’s choices are 1) Obama and 2) uncommitted

The Republican ballot had at least 8 of the candidates on it (I don’t remember exactly), an oval for a write in, and I don’t remember if we had “uncommitted” as a choice. I mailed my ballot in last week.

The 3 pm local news on the radio is talking about how the voters are really annoyed at the robocalls. I can’t wait for Wednesday. Tomorrow is my birthday and I just hope it goes by fast.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

In all seriousness, while I like Christie, he is a first term governor. He’s got a great future. I would like to see him get reelected and don’t want to see him on a ticket so soon.

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

If Santorum wins tomorrow, America is the REAL victor.

Emperor Norton on February 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

True, but if he has enough money, he can buy this election…he’s bought Ron Paul…

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What makes you say that? Is it because that’s what the news says? When people actually hear him, they will see that the media narrative is completely wrong, I think.

razorbackchick on February 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Pffft. The Death Star will eliminate that in 3 days.

Basilsbest on February 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Basilsbest on February 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

How’s he doing in Virginia? Oh, that’s right :-)

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:14 PM

By the way, Rick is having his election night party here in my area Tuesday night, at the Amway Grand Plaza hotel. Mitt is over in the Royal Oak area tomorrow night, last I heard (Detroit area). That fact alone just emphasizes who different the sides of the state are politically.

Interesting factoid, MI went RED in 2010 – we have 8 or 9 Rs out of 15 in Congress (we lose a seat in the detroit area in the next Congress). Our state legislature went red and most of our State wide office holders are GOP.

I believe on of the reasons for this is the loss of population from the huge job erosion in the auto industry in the detroit area. Detroit used to have over 2.1 million people inside of the city alone in 1950. In the next 20 years, the suburbs out there grew really fast. In the 2010 census, Detroit barely cleared 750K in people. I think the real census came in at 715K, but they whined to Obama about the low number and magically another 35k people were found. Somehow this is a magic number that gets extra consideration in federal funding or something.

The Detroit area kept this state VERY BLUE for decades. While there are a lot of Reagan Democrats in MI, we haven’t had a reagan type in 3 decades, so they have gone back to vote for their Dems ever since. But now that the Detroit area has lost so much population, their ability to swing the state to Dem very reliably is now very diminished.

The election this fall should be very interesting. I still think Obama will be beat. The $5 per gallon in gas will tip the scales this summer. No matter who wins the nomination, the winning anti-Obama ad will be to hammer the dems with all of Obama’s appointees and Obama himself touting the virtues of high gas prices. Rush opened his show with this today. These ads will write themselves.

Let’s face it, Obama has such a BAD record, he is beatable.

For you Romney supporters, please understand this. Conservatives are suspicious of him because while Romney seems to relish slamming conservatives with a scorched earth campaign tactic, we are not REALLY convinced he will do so against Obama with as just gusto.

I will vote for the GOP no matter who. SCOTUS is at stake, amnesty is at stake, etc. If we don’t block Obama this election cycle, we may not even have a chance to vote again in 2016. This election is vital to our future. Unfortunately, we have 4 uninspiring candidates left to choose from.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Thanks for the local info aspect. I suspect the urban area votes will be among the first to be reported.

Doing her part in Op Chaos, lol.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

The best part of elections – when they’re over, no more ads or calls for awhile, at least. Robocalls of any kind should be illegal, except for maybe a civil defense emergency alert.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I asked yesterday in another thread what the next excuse would be if Mitt lost Michigan. I see that’s come along nicely and it’s ready to go.

BakerAllie on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Updated numbers for Michigan: spending for Romney $3.6 million. Spending for Santorum $2.2 million, plus about another $50K a pro-Obama group decided to throw into cable ads attacking Romney.

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

And I say that that is just, plain silly. The man is going to go through the he11 of the primaries just so he can lay down when the big prize is at stake? I remember hearing early in the campaign how Mitt was too nice to win. Then he was to mean. Now he’s just too mean to R’s and will be too nice to D’s. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

You have no basis to think this

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Uh. What planet are you from?

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 3:30 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I can understand their concern, which is based partly on McCain’s abysmal performance in the last election, and in part on some of Romney’s own statements.

The specific example I can think of is where Romney said something like “The President is a nice guy, but he’s in over his head.” Now, I understand his desire to avoid attacking Obama personally, because Obama’s personal favorability is still considerably higher than his job approval (inexplicably to me, but I am scarcely an impartial audience). However, you don’t lead off a criticism with a compliment–it steps all over your main point and gives your opponent a potential soundbite as well.

A better way to say that would be “Well, I just disagree with the President’s policies. He’s in over his head, and whether or not he is a nice guy isn’t really the point here.” I think this is what karenhasfreedom, and most other conservatives (like me!), would like to see.

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

One of the nice things about the Grand Rapids area of MI is we actually have some decent local news stations. The ABC affiliate here has really effective newscasts and they rarely use national reports so they are not bringing the bias here. I think WZZM really understands their market here, and it IS conservative. The WOOD NBC affiliate uses more national reports, but I don’t watch them. They had a long time anchorette that was fired last year after more than 2 decades. No one knows why, but it could be the ratings. I didn’t watch that station because that woman’s suits were always WRINKLED and they made them stand to deliver the news. It was just annoying. And that anchorette is the niece of Helen Thomas, so you can imagine what she also looked like.

But back to the point of my post here. The WZZM affiliate has a very effective “opt in” text message program for news alerts, school closings, etc. You sign up on their website and can get custom alerts for your school, church, employer, etc. when there are snow days called, etc. This news station has a very interactive facebook and talk about it on their newscasts.

So while I moved back here from Austin, TX in 2006, it has been a consolation that I am not stuck in a really liberal area and actually have a decent news station for a medium to small sized market. I have always lived in larger cities since I graduated from college and it has been an adjustment to small town living (county population is about 600K).

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Rick is the devil.

Sorry I couldn’t resist

LOL

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I thought FOOSEBALL was the devil…dang it!

landowner on February 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I think that it’s a fine way to persuade. He doesn’t want to come off as a jerk or disrespectful of the POTUS. He is also mindful that most people would probably want a beverage with PBHO than they would with him. So why not let it be known that it isn’t personal animus that’s at work? It’s the way of appealing to people’s intellect by taking personalities off of the table.

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM

HotAir should adMIT they use words like MITigate and “MITten State” to poke fun at MITt Romninee who will hopefully be the nominee. Makes you want to voMIT…Why don’t they just say they’re coMITted to Santorum and form a PAC coMITtee?? There seem to be no liMITs as to how far they’ll go eMITting pro Santorum garbage. The enorMITy of the bias is obvious. Rominee supporters have to show a lot of equaniMITy in reading this website or just become a herMIT. It’s just an iMITation Santorum webpage. Only someone with mental infirMITies or deforMITies couldn’t see it because it’s indoMITable. InterMITtently the truth comes out. They should manuMIT or reMIT back their license as bloggers. I’m going to a Bar MITzvah tonight or I’d trasMIT more. I hope I didn’t oMIT anything in the uniforMITy of their views reaching the sumMIT of deception. I also hope they’ll be fair and perMIT this to be posted, otherwise they’re more priMITive than I thought in their views although my proxiMITy to Rominee might bias me too. If they do, I’ll just resubMIT it under another name.

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

republican run of the mill voters are generally squishes.

How else to explain EVERY SINGLE NOMINEE since 1988 has been a moderate/big gov progressive in Conservative clothing?

Ann Romney by at least 5 in his homes state……and her husband too.

PappyD61 on February 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

We are all still spooked by McCain, who did exactly that when the big prize was at stake. And, since McCain was one of Romney’s early endorsers (which amounted to a middle finger thrust at the Conservative base), I’d say these fears are justified.
Compound that by Romney comments such as “He’s a nice guy, he’s just in over his head” and “the economy is improving,” and, yeah, of course there’s reason to be concerned Romney will stop attacking if he gets the nomination.

Right Mover on February 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Santorum: Big government guy, that should please the TEA party; Bush II; a little more divisive with his religiosity; looks whiney & I’m tired of the sweater vest.
Romney: > 50% liberal; hard to tell what he stands for; looks presidential

Great choice we have there, such enthusiasm!

McCain II election cycle: all you independents & republicans, hold your nose & vote (R) in November. What could be worse than Obama? Okay, don’t answer that.

Too bad whomever is the final candidate, neither will have the sense to choose a conservative VP.

Belle on February 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

that was funny

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM

republican run of the mill voters are generally squishes.

Ann Romney by at least 5 in his homes state……and her husband too.

PappyD61 on February 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Maybe the primary schedule with BLUE states going before RED states and OPEN primaries might have something to do with this.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Newt-OBAMA IS DESTROYING AMERICA-let me zap him with a three hour debate.

Rick-OBAMA IS DESTROYING AMERICA-let me smite him with my rightous wrath.

MITT-the president is in it over his head-lets discuss the issues(as MItt sticks a knife in him)

this is the difference between how they’ll face obama

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM

that was funny

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It’s good to see some funny going on here! H/A can be such a dour, self-serious kind of place so much of the time :-)

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM

It is recommended not to respond to liberal4life-he is in same class as TESLA

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM

TESLA?

TESLA who?

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Now that was amazing. Very creative..

bluealice on February 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Just some sexually repressed spambot.

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

A certain sphincter.

Because they didn’t have anything else.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Did you vote for Obama last election? Yes or no?

BakerAllie on February 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Just some sexually repressed spambot.

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Ah, another reason to ignore his/her/its posts.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

BakerAllie on February 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 3:20 PM

First, thank you so much for your posts. I, now, understand Michigan much better.

I’m suspicious of Romney primarily because Romneycare was HIS idea. He pledged to cover most, if not all, people in MA, and it went through the legislature, instead of a vote of the people. That piece of legislation laid the groundwork for Obamacare.

In 2002, before the process started in MA, we had a referendum on single payer health care here in Oregon. A group of it’s supporters started here because they thought Oregon would be open to such a plan. On election day, Measure 23 went down in flames with 20% saying YES, and a whopping 80% saying HELL NO! There was a 70% turnout, too.

A little OT…the pro gay marriage folks did the same thing, and they were shot down, too. It was on the ballot in 11 states that year, but they poured most of their resources into Oregon because they believed it had the best chance to pass here. We have domestic partnerships, and I’m okay with that. But, we now have a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman that passed with 65%.

It just goes to show you that, even in a liberal state, most people may not agree with the sentiment that’s in the legislature.

kakypat on February 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Let me get this straight, there was huge complaints that Santorum was packing it in w/ regards to MI just this past week and now that a person from within his team states that they already won is wrong as well. Talk about being between a rock and a hard place with you folks. This man seems unable to do anything right in many people’s eyes. This is sad indeed!

PuritanD71 on February 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I think Santorum could bring the party back together if he is the nominee. It’s possible that many conservatives would simply stay home if Romney is the nominee

Think again. I’m a libertarian. I’ve voted Republican in every contest I’ve voted in since the mid 1970s, except one (Frank Rizzo’s last mayoral bid in Philly).

But Santorum is like something out of the middle ages. If I have to choose between Obama, a socialist, and Santorum, a theocratic fascist, I’ll hold my nose, roll my eyes, and vote for the socialist, because he’s less dangerous to America.

Bartrams Garden on February 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

The Dems will be gleeful if Santorum wins.

poljunkie51 on February 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Should Rick pull out tomorrow?

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Ok, thanks. I was getting you confused with another poster.

BakerAllie on February 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I hope he wins!!! Rock on, Rick!

balkanmom on February 27, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I hope non of the candidates drop out after Tuesday.

We need to leave Willard broke. the fact that he cannot win without outspending his opponents is a testament to his candidacy as a failure

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

As a libertarian Republican since 1964, I would consider staying home if Santorum is nominated. His radical religious views on social issues are TOTALLY obnoxious to me.

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I think Santorum could bring the party back together if he is the nominee.

Dream on. Santorum will only be supported by the religious conservatives. Fiscal conservatives will hope for a viable third party. The only hope for a santorum presidency is that liberals realize he’s a big spender/big gov’t solution for every problem…. just like them.

aniptofar on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Agreed.

aniptofar on February 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Agreed.

aniptofar on February 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM

So…you prefer the path to socialism??? Hmmm…

balkanmom on February 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Michigan Forecast Update: Romney’s Lead Looks More Tenuous

Since we ran the Michigan numbers early Monday morning, three new polls are out that make the state look more like a true toss-up and less like one that favors Mr. Romney.

INC on February 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM

aniptofar on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I keep hearing this. Explain why you think conservatives owe you a vote when you admit you’ll bail if Santorum is nominated.

hawkdriver on February 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Craig Nelson on February 27, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Agreed.

aniptofar on February 27, 2012 at 4:37 PM

How about we only vote for Newt or Rick?

hawkdriver on February 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Should Rick pull out tomorrow?

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Campaignus interruptus?

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Hey lib4life, help me out here. How is it that Harry Reid (you know, the guy who claimed the war in Iraq was lost and is too cowardly to submit a budget even with his magic underpantsr on) can be a “good” Mormon but Romney is a “bad” Mormon? Scared, maybe, that a Romney win neutralizes one of Axlerod the Greasy’s attack positions?

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM

With that logic then we should just pack up and go home…After all Obama is going to out advertise us 2 to 3 times as much. But will you then say he’ll be buying the election or that he has enough money to advertise more?

rich801 on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Romney has said the same thing about Richard,

“Senator Santorum is a nice guy but he’s never had a job in the private sector,” Romney said at a rally.

Does that mean that Romney won’t attack Santorum?

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I for one like this new Romney / Paul axis. I hope that Paul gets to work in a Romney administration, dismantling unconstitutional agencies like the EPA.

FogDog on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Of course he can. I would vote for him just as any sane republican would.

The problem is the independents and dissafected democrats would not.

Thats why I’m for Romney

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Any sane Republican would have disavowed Romney a long time ago.
And there are a lot of us disaffected-for-Romney Republicans, who will probably stay home if Romney is the nominee.

That’s why I’m for Newt

NOMOBO on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM

That’s why I’m for Newt

NOMOBO on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

You’ll stay home for an honest politician, but you’ll run to the booth to vote for the only admitted corrupt, lying, serial adulterer, and erratic nut job in the primary?

More power to ya.

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEA PARTY. Here is your IRS AUDIT package. Hugs and Kisses, Barak.

(Hopeful PS. — Tea Party groups have conference call planned to respond).

Mutnodjmet on February 27, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I doubt there are too many people who like Obama that much. I’m a sack-of-hammers Republican this year; I’ll vote for a sack of hammers if that’s the GOP nominee against Obama.

FogDog on February 27, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I’m voting against Obama. I would prefer Romney only because I think he has a chance to win and the others do not.

steel guy on February 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

5:02 pm today:

Poll: Romney and Santorum in dead heat in Mich.

INC on February 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

There’s a name for people like that: Democrats.

Maybe you are in the wrong party. THAT is exactly the sort of “conservative” “Moby” I am talking about. You appear to be all conservative but in reality are working to get Obama elected. You are trying to get Obama elected first by nominating Santorum. Failing that, you attempt to get others to join you in not voting for Romney if he is nominated.

You aren’t a conservative, you aren’t even a Republican. You are a Democrat shill.

You mean to tell me that nominating a sure looser for a candidate is better for you than electing Obama to a second term? No matter how hard you might wish for Santorum to win the general election, it is flat out impossible. He can’t do it. If every single Republican voter went to the polls and voted for Santorum he would still lose because of just plain old arithmetic. The winner has to say >50% of the Independent voters. Santorum doesn’t have that much appeal with Independents and none at all with even “center” Democrats.

Who is leading among Republican voters doesn’t mean a darned thing when it comes to the general election.

If the nominee is Romney, you better do what you can to get him elected or go off and join your Democrats (if you already haven’t and are just here posing as a conservative).

crosspatch on February 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

OMG. Santorum = nice guy = Obama. By the Transitive Property, Romney said Santorum is just like Obama!, ABRtard

HTL on February 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Fixed it for you.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Someone is running robocalls in Michigan asking Democrats to cross over and support Santorum:

Basically saying “support Santorum, Romney opposed the bail out”.

Is it the unions or Obama’s campaign?

joana on February 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

hawkdriver on February 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM

What kind of question is that? Who votes based upon whether they think they may or may not owe something to someone (well OK, aside from certain Congress critters who take one for the team)?

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

NOMOBO on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

If you think Newt’s a conservative who puts values above himself, then you need to read Senator Tom Coburn’s book Breach of Trust.

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Campaignus interruptus?
csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Indeed. It’s an approved method.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

with all his material advantages, Mitt Romney is not living in seedy Holiday Inns for 6 years only to roll over for Obama in the fall. Give me a break.

Romney is determined to win the presidency, and he will govern Right-Center consistent with his mandate. You dance with those who brung ya in this business.

Michigan: vote for Romney. This protracted fight is only helping one person: Obama.

matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

A tough primary fight doesn’t weaken us, it prepares us!

- Mitt Romney

Let Rick and Newt take their shots. No worries :-)

MJBrutus on February 27, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Mitt Romney can ride a motor without the cycle!

There is no way Neutron Newt or Sanctimonious Sanctorum can compete with those mads skills!!

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 7:59 PM

If Santorum really thinks that he losing primarites is his path to the nomination, he is in for a big disappointment.

ghostwriter on February 27, 2012 at 8:53 PM

crosspatch on February 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Bravo, brother, bravo!

Oracleforhire on February 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Sickness, indeed. On a grand scale. Romney living in seedy Holidays Inn? You must be demented, as is anyone believing this fraud.

riddick on February 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM

crosspatch on February 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Bravo, brother, bravo!

Oracleforhire on February 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Oracle for Hire. Nice nickname. So, how is Romney paying, by the post, by the day?

Why would anyone vote for another progressive liberal when we already have one in WH right now? Let me guess, better fitting suits? And hopefully less basketball and golf? Any other reasons?

riddick on February 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Mitt wouldn’t be in this protracted fight if he had been ready to claim the nomination. The protracted fight is helping Mitt get his ducks in a row.

ghostwriter on February 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I’ve read many of your posts today and found them so interesting.

Thanks so much for them. Especially the one about the delegate count.

And Happy Birthday!

Elisa on February 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM

If Santorum wins tomorrow, America is the REAL victor.

Emperor Norton on February 27, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Amen to that!

Sterling Holobyte on February 28, 2012 at 1:25 AM

matthew8787 on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

As will a vote for Romney.

I’ve said it before, a vote for Romney is< a vote for Obama. Just a different letter beside the name.

Sterling Holobyte on February 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

If Santorum wins Michigan, Texas will be the decider whether Mitt is the nominee or this thing goes to a convention.

Decoski on February 28, 2012 at 1:34 AM

You are wrong. How you win matters most once you’ve left the field. You don’t think when the “inevitable” nominee comes back to town for their victory lap during the general election the base wont be reconsidering their addiction to the party?

FeFe on February 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM