Romney on NASCAR: I don’t follow it closely but I have some friends who own NASCAR teams

posted at 4:50 pm on February 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

No foolin’: The more I write about these populist blind spots of his, the more I find them goofily endearing. What’s the big knock on Romney? That he’s an overly scripted phony who’ll say anything to get elected, right? Well, rest assured: No one would script this line. This is the real Mitt, doing his awkward best to relate. Not in a snobby way either — I think the class divide implicit in his answer utterly escapes him. He’s just trying to connect with NASCAR fans and this is the best he can do. I almost want to tousle his hair and say, “Good effort!”

Think we can convince every independent in America to share my view?

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, “Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners.”

Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on Twitter. “I don’t know people who fish but I know people who own yachts,” tweeted Brad Woodhouse, communications director of the Democratic National Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars, tweeted: “Do I like movies? Well I have some friends who own movie companies.”…

For Romney, it was just his world and his friends. For Democrats, it was a political opportunity. “This is just the latest example of how out of touch Mitt Romney is from the average American experience. From an economic plan that provides tax cuts to line the pockets of his friends — like those who own NASCAR teams — to wanting Wall Street to write its own rules, Mitt Romney just doesn’t get it and won’t work to restore economic security for the middle class,” said DNC press secretary Melanie Roussell.

Sounds like something Mr. Howell might say to Gilligan. And hey, everyone loved Mr. Howell. Optimism.

The punchline, of course, is that despite the left’s theatrical mirth about Mitt being out of touch, he’ll almost certainly beat Obama easily among NASCAR fans in the fall. Watch the clip, then restore your equilibrium by reading this BuzzFeed piece about Romney’s heroism nine years ago when he and his sons heard a family screaming for help on Lake Winnipesaukee. Whatever else you think of Mitt, he’s awfully good during a personal crisis.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I find this theme in the conservative media that Romney cannot possibly be human to be tiresome.

Romney was being funny. Do you want me to explain the joke?

The Romney’s are a normal family, the dad is a gentleman, he goes to work and makes money, the mommy stays at home. She likes her 5 boys, she also likes Horses.

The dad is a gentleman, he raises his boys to behave nicely, they find 5 pretty girls, get wives, get babies, the Romney’s have a dozen or more little grandchildren.

The dad starts a company. He is busy, and a sucess. The job is hardly ever at the Nascar stadium, shucks. If he needed to fix a Nascar operation he would do his best, and fix it like he fixed the Olympics. It is possible he likes the Olympics more.

I don’t know where the closest Nascar stadium is, but I guess you have to be rich to afford the plane ticket to get there. Just as much chance my getting to go to the Olympics.

Fleuries on February 27, 2012 at 5:53 PM

…like any other Harvard or IVY League Grad…

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM

which had nothing to do with his rich daddy

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM

What part of this are you not understanding DHC…?

To get in to Harvard and then to graduate with a DOUBLE MAJOR in Law and Business in the TOP FIVE PERCENT has NOTHING to do with Romney’s Dad. :o)

He went to Harvard because his grades warranted it from his high scores at Stanford and BYU. :o) Again, it was HIS intelligence and NOT HIS DAD. :o)

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

And this will hurt him with what group? Liberals are clueless about NASCAR and independents aren’t much better. Conservatives? It’s not like they’re going to vote for Obama because Romney doesn’t speak NASCAR.

jan3 on February 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I don’t think one comment would hurt him, but a series of statements like this one would cement the idea that he’s seriously tone deaf. It’s not his wealth that is off-putting, it’s his ‘otherness’. He has to convince primary voters.

How does one speak Nascar?

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Right, and they do their best to keep them struggling. They offer no solutions except taking money from working people.

darwin on February 27, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I was just thinking the same thing. :)

imasoulman on February 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Romney has never been poor or middle class.
He has been in the 1% tax bracket his whole life. Have no sense of what everyday Americans go through. Thats why he always feels uncomfortable around middle class and poor folks. He just can’t related

too out of touch

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

who cares if he relates or not as long as he fixes the economy (assuming he would)…besides does anyone really wants a figure dadda in the WH…and if they do, can you really say that O makes a good one?? only if you are completely disingenuous…Even the MSM could not gloss over his aloofness and out-of-touchness with the hoi-polloi, despite the marxist, class-warfare ridden discourse…

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Good nite all from uncontrolled rage in AFG!

Big day for the (R) Party tomorrow!

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

For those of you who don’t follow NASCAR, take a peek at how we like to get races started http://youtu.be/0E8EYTyACQk

Maybe you should tune-in to tonight’s prerace festivities for an eye opening experience. Only ProRodeo comes close to matching a NASCAR tribute to America.

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

People here are stretching for righteous outrage. All of this is nothingness.

cd98 on February 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

It is all they have.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Only Rmoney could step in it like this. You couldn’t write this stuff if you tried.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

yep :) and I’m sure it was Obama’s intelligence too – not affirmative action.

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I didn’t watch the video, did he end his speech with “boogity boogity boogity amen!”?

Left Coast Right Mind on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

WINNING!

29Victor on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

The latest romneycare blunder

Romney Recalls Event He Couldn’t Have Seen

Mitt Romney recalled childhood memories of a landmark moment in Detroit history, noting he was “probably 4 or something like that” the day of the Golden Jubilee, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the American automobile, the Toronto Star reports.

Said Romney: “My dad had a job being the grandmaster. They painted Woodward Ave. with gold paint.”

Unfortunately, the event took place June 1, 1946 — fully nine months before Romney was born.

Romneycare has to be the worst candidate in the history of candidates! muffy, please put some tar tar sauce on that cracker, tis tis…

Danielvito on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Good night, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

OMG! Mitt Romney is rich? Thanks Allahpundit for letting me know. A guy who graduated the top of his class in college, then goes on to earn an MBA and a law degree at one of the best colleges in country, has no right to be rich!

He made all that money at Bain Capital Allahpundit, and that money should be yours! Weren’t you complaining last week that he owned 4 cars? Why don’t you propose a new law to your Congressman or woman, that no family should have the right to own more than 2?

Meanwhile, Newt Gingrich calls your latest flavor of the month a Big Time Union Republican. Oh, but you would never know from your site, because after a while, it gets pretty hard to keep having to cover for your guy after he keeps putting his foot in his mouth down to his stomach ever chance he can get….

mark cantu on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

In case any of you missed my poem from last Valentines Day: “Roses are red, violets are blue, I’m not good at rhymes, vote against Romney.”

apocalypse on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

OS I guess Santorum KNOWS some owners too…;o)

I hope you are well, Flora…

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Don’t know, but I think it is safe to assume that one of the team owners Romney knows is not the guy who owns the car Santorum 2012 is sponsoring. LOL

As I said a few pages back, I have no problem with him saying he knows NASCAR team owners. What I find incredulous is the “mocking” comments he made to some of the fans about their rain attire.

btw, will you guys and gals be watching the race?

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Romney appears to know nothing or very little about NASCAR .That,s not a good or bad thing.But please Gov. Romney don,t be a phony about it.It will not help you become the nominee ether way . Kind of reminds me of John Kerry in 2004 running around Ohio asking were can i get me a hunting license.Liking NASCAR or hating it does not make you a conservative.A lot of conservatives like it and a lot hate it and some just don,t care ether way.

logman1 on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Romney’s rich…no way he can hide that fact.

terryannonline on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

‘zactly. I don’t find it “endearing” like AP. In fact, I figure this is why Romney is so tightly scripted. Whenever he goes off script he puts his foot straight into his mouth.

29Victor on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yes little one, even you get to laugh at him this time.; ) Now roll over and go back to sleep.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Mitt has friends who own piles of stuff to step in.

Mitt is so rich he pays people to step in it for him.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM

logman1 on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

He probably knows more about Formula 1, which is the real thing…

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

29Victor on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Whatever it is, he’s got it bad. Funny though. Unless your a Rmoney supporter. Of course they’ve gotten real good at rationalizing, must be that close relationship they have with Paul.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Mitt has friends who own piles of stuff to step in.

Mitt is so rich he pays people to step in it for him.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Excellent point.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I am seeing pattern in this thread. It seems to me that those who see Romney’s attempt to seem like an average American as being an attack on his wealth aren’t NASCAR fans. It isn’t about how many dollars he has; it is about him pretending to have a connection to something he really doesn’t have.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

good lingo Mr. AP.

“populist blind spot” is perfect phrase. captures it.

“goofily endearing” is a good combo too.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Cue in the facepalm picture. No, make it double.

OT: A dear good friend of mine passed away on Saturday; please read my eulogy at my blog. I just finished it off and I did NOT have a pleasant weekend, provided she lived in PR and worked with my sis.

We are devastated, and I wish I could attend the funeral tomorrow.

-PPF

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

How does one speak Nascar?

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Watch a Jeff Foxworthy act and you’ll learn – it requires lots of unintelligible syllables strung together….

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I say Ron should “make it legal” if he’s got an agreement with mittens.

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

29Victor on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

when mitt goes off prompter
Mitt Happens

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

He probably knows more about Formula 1, which is the real thing…

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Every racing league today is a practice league for getting into NASCAR.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

How many Americans can afford that boat?

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

A lot fewer now thanks to your Dear Leader.

Talon on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

He probably knows more about Formula 1, which is the real thing…

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I’m not even sure if I know what this means, but here ya go. NASCAR is fake racing. Formula 1 is real racing. How a bout top fuel and the funnys, not to mention pro stock. Fake also?

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

btw, will you guys and gals be watching the race?

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Some will be definitely…if the satellite holds up here. Sometimes in my area the weather effects it.

Being deployed, as some on here know, it interesting to watch the different people who turn out to the various sporting events on AFN (the TV Network) here as you will have your NFL fans (majority), your NASCAR fans, your UFC fans, MLB, etc…so yeah, there will be some of the left turn crowd that will show up at the MWR. I am 24 guy (Jeff Gordon) but I am headed to bed so I will have to catch the highlights tomorrow.

Good nite.

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I say Ron should “make it legal” if he’s got an agreement with mittens.

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Holy matrimoney?.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

condolences ProudPalinFan

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Come on AP. Everyone knows that of the seven, Mr. Howell is the first one voted off the island. He was insufferable.

Soft bigotry of low expectations. See how that take of “ah shucks, Romney means well and he’s really, really trying to identify with the common person” works out with Marxist Obama’s class warfare schtick in the general.

conservative pilgrim on February 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

sorry about your loss.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM

hehehe…yeah, that’s it sparkplug ;)

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Honestly, I find Romney’s obnoxious remarks regarding his wealth endearing.

Mainly because, were I as wealthy as him, I’d be as obnoxious about it too.

Professor de la Paz on February 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

when mitt goes off prompter
Mitt Happens

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You know you have gotten very good at the word skill and wit thing. Hat tip to ya!

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Off to bed now. Don’t make me sing you another lullaby.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Typical liberal personal attack fits you well.

rich801 on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I see satire doesn’t fit your pea-sized brain well.

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM

ZOMG Romney has rich friends?!?! Didya know that guys? Good thing we have HA to report on the news of the day!

Not that, you know, there was a school shooting today or anything.

This used to be one of my favorite websites. Sadly, that has changed during this election cycle. I started as a Romney skeptic/ Cain supporter, but I’ve come around to see that most of my misgivings about Romney are pretty explainable and propagated by people who don’t want him to get the nod.

Anyway AP, you can do way better.

demotheses on February 27, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I always said the Kerry Edwards ticket was doomed to fail. But I voted for them anyway, because they’re Democrats.

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2012 at 6:12 PM

With the invasion of Romney shills this place is turning into BotAir.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM

AP is right. If Mitt were the calculating, coldhearted bastard that he’s often accused of being, he would have long ago developed a fake regular guy persona, the way that Obama has developed his fake street guy persona. I’m far more offended by politicians, rich or otherwise, who pretend that they are JUST LIKE US.

Priscilla on February 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Good nite.

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I knew there was some reason we got along so well. I’ve been a fan of Gordon since his first NASCAR race.

Goodnight.

Stay safe.

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

g2825m on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I am a Gordon fan as well, but damn it! He’s sponsored by AARP nowadays! What the flip?!?

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

btw, will you guys and gals be watching the race?

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I will. Go Carl! It would be sweet if Mark Martin won though.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Heh. I love Nascar, but I can’t speak that language.

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

when mitt goes off prompter
Mitt Happens

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Thanks. You are my mentor. and that dire :) too.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

neat story about Mitt, naval hero of Lake Minnesquakee or something.

ted c on February 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM

That was actually the second time Mitt had rescued someone from Lake Winnipesaukee. A few years earlier he rescued some kayakers after they were swamped by a passing boat.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Romney’s rich…no way he can hide that fact.

terryannonline on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

So are all the other candidates – ALL 4 Republican candidates and Obama and the Clintons have all been making close to or over $1 million a year and have net worths in the millions. You pretty much have to be to run for a major office these days. And although Romney is richer than all of the current batch – if you look back at John Kerry and count his wife’s money along with his, together they are worth more than double what Romney has.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM

A lot fewer now thanks to your Dear Leader.

Talon on February 27, 2012 at 6:06 PM

She doesn’t dig capitalism much. She see’s no connection between jobs, boatbuilders and boat buyers. She only hates the boat buyers because none of us will buy her one or get her one from the people who build them for free. She is just a little girl, a little girl with dreams of free stuff, other people providing for them all. Except for you and I the people that either buy them, build them or sell them. In that case we are exempt from the free stuff. The free stuff only goes to those who don’t participate in commerce. I know this doesn’t make much sense, go figure right? She is just a little one. She does have dreams though. ; )

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I really admire F1 and IndyCar racing, the driver skills and especially the equipment. But there’s nothing like running in a pack of 40 cars at 200mph (or even 90mph) trading paint and banging fenders. You have to go to one and stand at the fence (knee deep in chicken bones and beer cans) and watch ‘em come through a corner to appreciate NASCAR. TV, like it does for all other sports, dimishes the contest.

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Romney’s rich…no way he can hide that fact.

terryannonline on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

That is an admirable trait, one of his best.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM

With the invasion of Romney shills this place is turning into BotAir.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:13 PM

With the invasion of NOT-Romney shills this place is turning into SNotAir.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I’ve been to a few races at Michigan International Speedway and the atmosphere is electric. Just wish MIS was a better track…anyways, it is the most fun in the world, there is no doubt about that.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Guess mitt would follow nascar if they raced cadillacs?
L

letget on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

.now that was truly funny!

I mean, we over here at Romney HQ are just rolling on the floor!

;-)

The War Planner on February 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Heh. I love Nascar, but I can’t speak that language.

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Ya – but it’s not unique to NASCAR. I’m originally from Maine, but I was once in a bar in Boothbay Harbor with some family and we were trying to talk to a lifelong downeast Maine lobstah fishahman about gettin some lobstahs – and I don’t know how many beers he had under his belt, but that guy was not speaking any kind of English that I could understand. Couldn’t understand a single word from him in a 20 minute conversation. I think it’s a common “redneck” (glorious absence of sophistication) language no matter what part of the country you’re in – take a strong local accent and add beer – mbmggbrbrsheeehht.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:31 PM

With the invasion of NOT-Romney shills this place is turning into SNotAir.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

..and so its this!

The War Planner on February 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

liberal4life on February 27, 2012

The dogs are in NASCAR roll gages on the roof, and the ones that race, are Mormon too!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

drat! its == is.

The War Planner on February 27, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I will. Go Carl! It would be sweet if Mark Martin won though.

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

As a Jeff Gordon fan, I’d love to see Mark Martin win the 500. It could be his last chance to do so.

And as the time gets closer, it’s time for me to go park my butt on the couch.

“Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, let’s go racin’ boys!” (and Danica)

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Sponsorhip will never be turned down, even from a group of self-serving libtards like AARP. How many poor needy seniors could AARP feed for their sponsorship $ + ads on TV during the race + at the track promotions? Also, notice that all cars now have the green Ethanol ring around fuel filler. money talks and NASCAR is hurting with the Ogabe led recession.

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Unfortunately so. Will be interesting to see how fuel injection effects the sport this year.

Well, time to go. Time to order a pizza and watch a race.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Romney: No, I’ve never lost a job, but I have let a lot of people go from theirs!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I guess I didn’t mean that NASCAR is fake, just that F1 is driven by technology, manufacturers spend time and money in research and development to produce new parts, construction materials, etc. to make their cars faster than the next guy’s…and they throw out there the most technically advanced cars that exist, that can accelerate and brake and go through the corners faster than anything you can possibly conceive in your mind (and I don’t mean jets by that :-)…top fuel, pro stock, sorry, not familiar with them, I am a F1 fan…

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Have you ever enjoy a race at Talladega ? Very fast.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I hear ya, but I don’t really watch much NASCAR, though I grew up watching stock cars on 1/4 mile dirt tracks. In the last 15 years I’ve been to some hill climb races here in Colorado – nothing like standing at the side of a straight stretch of dirt road and have a stock car go flying by at over 100 mph no more than 8 feet away from you. The power slides at 40 mph through a hairpin turn most people wouldn’t take at 10 mph, with a 500 foot dropoff below the edge and no guardrail are a thing of beauty.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Hey, Allah, your buzzfeed link at the bottom of your post there doesn’t work, it is truncated. However, I did click on the link to SNOPES.

OK Mittbots, here is the deal. Why couldn’t Mitt have run a commercial to talk about how he puts people first, and shut down his company and helped to find that missing girl in NYC? I am actually very impressed that he not only decided to help this employee find his missing kid, but HOW he did it. Mitt amassed an army of volunteers and canvassed NYC and its underbelly looking for her, hired a PR firm that gots lots of publicity to the effort, got a vendor of Bain to print out 200K+ color posters of the girl, etc. He very meticulously and methodically figured out what needed to be done and executed a plan for maximized results. THIS is what they train you to do in MBAland.

Why couldn’t Mitt do more of this, let us know him as a person, than keep running scorched earth commercials on why his opponents are the devil?

(I use the term “devil” as short hand for how Mitt cherry picks votes or phrases and then makes mountains out of mole hills and pushes the hot buttons of conservatives in his commercials).

I might have voted for Mitt if he had run commercials that let us know who this guy really is, as a person. That is how we can learn to TRUST him to do what he claims he will do.

And I also liked how Allah posted about Allah’s reaction to what Mitt said about Nascar. That was cute. Proof positive again that Allah has that “it” factor when it comes to being an effective blogger.

And the Daytona 500 will air tonite at 7 pm. If you have NEVER seen a race, watch it tonite. My first race was the Daytona 500 in february, 2001. You all know what happened that day, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was killed in the last 1/4 lap of the race. His employee, Michael Waltrip, who was driving for Dale Sr.’s race team, won his first race in what must have been will over 300 starts at the time. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was also running for Dale Sr and he came in 2nd. Mikey was so exuberant about winning his first race ever and it was THE race to win, that I became his fan that day. He had not yet been told that Dale Sr had crashed and died. Mikey wrote a really good book about that day, it came out last year, worth a read.

So turn to your local fox station tonite and watch the Daytona 500. First time in 54 years that the race did not run on its scheduled day.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Racing either tuns you on or off. If it turns you on then any form has it’s own beauty, danger and excitement. Consider that one cylinder of a Top Fuel dragster produces more horesepower than an entire 8 cylinders in an F1, IndyCar or stock car. Whoa hoss….

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Oh man you are in for a treat. Top fuel is insane. Here is one vid, but have a look around at some others. Skip ahead to about the 2:00 minute mark if all you want to see is the run.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

As long as they aren’t domestic terrorists I don’t see why the media should ever question someone’s friends.

Wagthatdog on February 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m with AP on this one. It’s just silly.

Spliff Menendez on February 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I’m at work, but saved it, will watch it later.

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Go Team Santorum!!! 2012

multiuseless on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yup – I do like the drag races. One pair after another at top acceleration is more interesting to me now than several hours going around a track.

My son and I rebuilt a 74 Camaro over the last 5 years (his daily driver now), and he took it to Bandimere Speedway in Denver a couple times on amateur nights. He was disappointed because he only clocked about a 15 second 1/4 mile his first couple races (with a 383 stroker and running street tires and gas) – 18 years old and never been on a track before – he learned there’s more to it than people realize.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:50 PM

take a strong local accent and add beer – mbmggbrbrsheeehht.

Yeah, that’s funny. It’s probably a good thing that my bff doesn’t drink. It would take her 20 years to roll out a sentence.

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Here are some alcohol Funnys, they also do jet. At night is cool.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 5:59 PM

That assumes he was lying about this. How do you know he was?

One of the posters this morning made a perfectly logical suggestion as to who one such friend could be, namely Boston’s John Henry, who is also a part owner of the Boston Red Sox. Undoubtedly the two of them knew each other during Romney’s time as MA Governor, which was at the same time the Red Sox were winning two World Series in 3 years.

Another possible NASCAR team owner friend? How about Joe Gibbs? He’s a card-carrying Republican, and even addressed the 2008 GOP Convention.

Romney’s summer place here in NH is also located within 30 minutes of a world-class racing oval that hosts 3 NASCAR races each year, including 2 Sprint races. Most tracks only get 1 Sprint race per season, but NHMS has historically been a good draw for those races. Romney certainly has plenty of opportunity to rub elbows with the NASCAR owners several times a year without having to leave his own back yard.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Sorry, I didn’t know. They are awesome to see and hear, if you ever get a chance to go to the drags, I just can’t imagine anyone would not be amazed by them.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 6:52 PM

A few years back I worked at NORAD HQ with a fighter pilot whose call sign was Coma – deep south Mississippee boy with a looonnnng slowwwww accent – hence the call sign. Get a few beers in him and it got worse – and then with a little pressure he would agree to tell about his MiG kills in the Gulf War – most hilarious story I ever heard. The guy was actually an incredible brain – wrote software on the side.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

jimver on February 27, 2012 at 6:38 PM

In defense of Nascar, while good equipment does make a difference, a really skillful drive makes the biggest difference. Open wheel racing has come down to which team has the best engineers, money, and technology, not so much the driver. They barely pass anymore in those races.

Whereas watch a nascar race. They rub fenders, slide sideways, etc. Average drivers will lose control of their car, but really good drivers actually save their cars from spinning out and go on to win races. Tony Stewart does this all of the time (former open wheeler), and Kyle Bush did this last Thursday in the Dual 150 where he not only saved his car 3 times from spinning out, but actually won his race. Most other drivers would have crashed in any of those instances where Kyle saved the car and stayed on the track, ultimately facing the right direction. Another thing about nascar, is the drivers and crew members are accessible to the fans. Open wheelers, not so much.

And regarding why would AARP etc sponsor a car? Think about it, the baby boomers started turning 62 this year. There are 78 million of us born (not sure how many are still alive), and AARP is bleeding membership for supporting Obamacare. What is a huge way to reach the heartland of America? Nascar. Their sponsorship makes sense. At least they had the good sense to sponsor a champion driver in one of the best teams in the sport, rather than go with a lessor known driver. I give their marketing decisions an A+, while I will never join them because of what they did with Obamacare.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I remember that well. Really ticked me off over the next few days that so many people were giving Sterling Marlin death threats when he never even touched Earnhardt’s bumper. And even if he had, it’s not like Earnhardt never turned anybody before.

topdawg on February 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2012 at 6:53 PM

That wasn’t exactly where I was headed with that comment of mine. Trust me on this, I have 0 trouble with wealth, I like wealth. I like NASCAR, we wouldn’t have any of these things without owners, who I have 0 problem with. For Rmoney its more a matter of his ability to screw up the optics of something. He does it on a fairly regular basis. Rubbing elbows is good, I do a good bit of it myself. ; )

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I know for a fact that Richard Childress (owner of 3 cars in Sprint series, two cars in Nationwide and 1 in Craftsman Truck series) sent a letter to friends asking them to support Romney. He sees, as most of us do, that this is a huge turning point and a critical time for America. I had no idea he even had any interest in politics until this letter came out and I’ve known him since the early 80s.

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Oh sorta like does Oboobi like cars? Well he has some friends that own electric/hybrid manufacturers.

AH_C on February 27, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Racing cars, boats, planes or whatever is good clean American fun. Yes I know they race overseas. That is fun as well. You guys were going to say something if I didn’t clarify right out of the gate. Speaking of which, horses and dogs are fun race times also. HeII fire I just love racing. I’m an adrenaline junkie.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Are you sure this site is considered conservative. Or is it Huffington Post? Democratic underground maybe?

Redford on February 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Turtle and crab races don’t count as racing. There, hows that?

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Redford on February 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Why?

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I am very glad that Romney isnt a NASCAR fan and only knows owners of NASCAR teams. To be an actual NASCAR fan would require Romney to lower his IQ a couple hundred points and then, after his IQ decrease, he would be talking about contraceptives and start dropping his g’s like that dumb Palin broad.

Jailbreak on February 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Jailbait, how nice.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM

This is such a stupid story put forth by idiotic people who know nothing about NASCAR. The teams are not typically owned by rich guys wearing ascots who stand at the track with their bulimic wives. In many cases, the drivers themselves or former drivers, or the families of drivers own the teams. People like Dale Earnhardt’s widow, Teresa. And Dale Earnhardt Jr. owns a team. So does Kyle Busch. And Rusty Wallace. Ever heard of Roger Penske or Richard Petty or Tony Stewart? They own teams, too. Danica Patrick’s team is owned Tommy Baldwin Jr., who was a mechanic. Yeah, there’s a lot of money in NASCAR — what with it being America’s biggest spectator sport and all — but many of these teams are owned by good ole boys who have earned their money. God, conservatives are really pissing me off these days, so infected with the pathos of the left. If Romney’s wealth offends you, you are an Obama voter. You may not know it yet, but that is what you are.

Rational Thought on February 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Allahpundit, I applaud your comparison of Romney to Mr. Howell of Gilligan’s Island.

Given that you now openly admit he’s toxic for American voters, just whom do you support for President to defeat Obama this November?

No sarcasm, please.

Full disclosure: of those running, I believe GINGRICH has the best skills and ability to defeat Obama. If you disagree, please clarify why not…without snark, thank you.

Czar of Defenestration on February 27, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Hah me too. I mean he’s a goofball but screw it. He’s rich, big shocker. Own it.

I mean I cant believe this is our best option this year, but seems like Mitt is it.

Dash on February 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Jailbreak on February 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Every time I see your name I think of this. :)

imasoulman on February 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM