Romney on NASCAR: I don’t follow it closely but I have some friends who own NASCAR teams

posted at 4:50 pm on February 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

No foolin’: The more I write about these populist blind spots of his, the more I find them goofily endearing. What’s the big knock on Romney? That he’s an overly scripted phony who’ll say anything to get elected, right? Well, rest assured: No one would script this line. This is the real Mitt, doing his awkward best to relate. Not in a snobby way either — I think the class divide implicit in his answer utterly escapes him. He’s just trying to connect with NASCAR fans and this is the best he can do. I almost want to tousle his hair and say, “Good effort!”

Think we can convince every independent in America to share my view?

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, “Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners.”

Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on Twitter. “I don’t know people who fish but I know people who own yachts,” tweeted Brad Woodhouse, communications director of the Democratic National Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars, tweeted: “Do I like movies? Well I have some friends who own movie companies.”…

For Romney, it was just his world and his friends. For Democrats, it was a political opportunity. “This is just the latest example of how out of touch Mitt Romney is from the average American experience. From an economic plan that provides tax cuts to line the pockets of his friends — like those who own NASCAR teams — to wanting Wall Street to write its own rules, Mitt Romney just doesn’t get it and won’t work to restore economic security for the middle class,” said DNC press secretary Melanie Roussell.

Sounds like something Mr. Howell might say to Gilligan. And hey, everyone loved Mr. Howell. Optimism.

The punchline, of course, is that despite the left’s theatrical mirth about Mitt being out of touch, he’ll almost certainly beat Obama easily among NASCAR fans in the fall. Watch the clip, then restore your equilibrium by reading this BuzzFeed piece about Romney’s heroism nine years ago when he and his sons heard a family screaming for help on Lake Winnipesaukee. Whatever else you think of Mitt, he’s awfully good during a personal crisis.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Yawn.

davek70 on February 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

The only way he’ll escape his plutocrat persona is oddly enough, is to keep at it. Disarm through admission.

Apologetic California on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

double Yawn.

what is this? Occupy Wallstreet .com? seriously. who cares

Drunk Report on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Mitt Romney, take some of your $300 million, and go buy yourself some common touch.

Because you really are short on it.

JohnGalt23 on February 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Just stop. There’s nothing noble about the boss hanging out with his employees. Mitt doesn’t need to be comfortable talking to you. He is comfortable and competent when leading. That’s what matters.

Romney / Santorum 2012

Let’s do this.

Capitalist Hog on February 27, 2012 at 4:54 PM

“Well, I’ve never personally committed any acts of domestic terrorism or called for the annhiliation of Israel, but I have friends who have.”

-PBHO

Kataklysmic on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Obumbler would probably be willing to fundraise for Mittens if it guaranteed that he would be the nominee.

Southernblogger on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

paging jpeterson, post the vid of Romney’s appreciation of the height of Michigan’s trees.

tom daschle concerned on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Guess mitt would follow nascar if they raced cadillacs?
L

letget on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

And when the money was removed, they all lived in grass huts and ate a lot of fish.

Now that I think about it, just imagine the hell that Thurston lived on that island…billions in the bank and shipwrecked with two gorgeous gals….and Lovey.

Damn.

BobMbx on February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Some serious MSNBC piggybacking going on around here lately.

Roymunson on February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

At least he’s not pandering by pretending like he’s a devout fan or whatever.

changer1701 on February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

“I don’t follow NASCAR, but I have friends that would like to regulate all aspects of the sport”

-PBHO

Oil Can on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

At your service.

Mitt Romney Loves Cars, Lakes, & Trees…

JPeterman on February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Thurston Howell, III was a caricature. So was Lovey.

Still optimistic?

kakypat on February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Whatever else you think of Mitt,

He’s also a great seatback and tray table position enforcer.

BobMbx on February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Some of my best friends are______________(fill in blank)

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

What is he supposed to do? Say, “Well I was just talking to some fans when I went down to walmart to do my grocery shopping”? Shiz, Obama throws a “Alice in Wonderland” party with Hollywood A-listers. Least Nascar owners are somewhat grounded in reality.

Zaggs on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Mitt Romney is rich and successful! Surprise!

joana on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Apologetic California on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Exactly!

I don’t mind him being humble about his wealth, or overly flaunting it al la Kennedy or Kerry.

But don’t be ashamed about making it: As far as anyone can say, you didn’t make it illegally, you weren’t a bootlegger, betting against the British Pound Sterling, nor did you sell slaves…Why must you act as if YOUR finances are then issue?

BlaxPac on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Mitt is also an avid hunter…why he has been hunting…….Once….

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

We have “The Common Man” in the White House now (and Bush was also). Lets try a rich, aloof, 1%er for a while.

If it’s good enough for our God to be unreachable, why not a POTUS? God has Jesus to relate to us. Romney can make Christie his VP, and he can reach out to us.

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Obama never even had a job … who’s the one out of touch?

darwin on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

As are you. John Kerry and John Edwards ran 8 years ago, silly…

changer1701 on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

NASCAR-a bunch of cars go around a track-boring

I’m going to get killed for that

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Was he wearing jeans..?

d1carter on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

At least he’s not pandering by pretending like he’s a devout fan or whatever.

changer1701 on February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Hahaha….I have noticed that if Romney doesn’t pander, he should be pandering. When he does pander, he should cease and just be himself.

The guy can’t win with some folks.

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Could this man be more tone-deaf?

Distracting, if not downright disturbing, that he seems incapable of appreciating how these thoughtless remarks reveal a man so utterly out of touch and devoid of empathy.

novaculus on February 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

oh that’s just Mr. Electable being electable

Doctor Zhivago on February 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Some of my best friends are…….

…..making out like bandits with the TARP money.

…..buying up tons of abandoned houses.

…..divesting their portfolios of US Treasury bonds.

…..thinking about moving their headquarters to China.

BobMbx on February 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

How is this out of touch??

Midwesterner on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Romney: No, your wife isn’t that attractive, but I did bang six high-class hookers the other day that were better-looking than her!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Can we assume, for a second, that Robot Romney actually made a joke?..

Archivarix on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I like him. He’s funny.

Buttercup on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

As are you. John Kerry and John Edwards ran 8 years ago, silly…

changer1701 on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

I always said the Kerry Edwards ticket was doomed to fail.

That ticket was worth close to a billion dollars. Wesley Clark would have won easily.

Kerry was/is too rich, too out of touch.

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

But did he need to make a pay for play swap with a felon to build his house? Thats what I want to know.

Zaggs on February 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Romney: No, I’ve never lost a job, but I have let a lot of people go from theirs!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

This is absolutely hilarious. Now if Mrs. Romney would say “Let them eat cake,” we’d have a hat trick.

J.E. Dyer on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Nascar sucks, but it still shows that Mitt has no ability to connect with real people.

Southernblogger on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

“Some of my best friends is them colored folk!”

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

facepalm.

you would figure in 5 years plus, someone would have trained him to not talk like a super rich guy who doesnt know the first name of anyone that isnt the vice president of a company or better.

he is starting to give john f. kerry a run of bostonians on who can be the most out of touch with the people and thats not going to be good in the general.

cougar on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

open foot. insert both feet.

NEXT……..He is not He for whom we’ve been waiting……

RealMc on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Romney: No, I’ve never gone hungry, but I did skip dessert at The Oak Room the other day!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

When Romney starts using the word “ain’t” to sound down with the people or in the Obamas’ case to sound authentically black, then I might get worried. Heck, Michelle O did it in front of a celebrity-studded Beverly Hills crowd:

No Niks on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Cool, dude you know John Effing Kerry? Has he paid the taxes on that yacht yet?

HumpBot Salvation on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Or not…

Just a reminder. Romney will be the nominee.

Hate me now, believe me later.

NickDeringer on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Mitt is also an avid hunter…why he has been hunting…….Once….

right2bright on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Like he told us in a debate; “Last year I went on a Moose hunt in Montanta, no wait, it was elk”.

I hunt every year, often with beginners. I never once met a hunter who can’t rememeber which mammal he hunted on a particular trip.

Romney is such a phony

Norwegian on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

The guy can’t win with some folks.

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I don’t mind that he panders. I just wish he were good at it. I still maintain this guy is a disaster in waiting if we nominate him. This one incident won’t make or break a campaign, but 6 months of it will. Especially if he has anymore gaffes like the “I’m not concerned about the very poor” remark.

Doughboy on February 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Kerry was/is too rich, too out of touch.

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

The majority of national politicians are rich. Obama’s rich. Pelosi’s rich. George W. Bush is rich. At what point is one too rich? 10 million dollars? 50? 100 million?

philoquin on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Not a Mitt fan, but I love the story about him finding the girl. I can admit that. And while NASCAR owners are rich, most didn’t start out that way and are not hated by race fans at all.

mike_NC9 on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

How is this out of touch??

Midwesterner on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

How much is that boat worth. The picture does not justice for Willard and his millions

How many Americans can afford that boat?

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Apologetic California on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

BlaxPac on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

You both hit the nail. I have no problem with wealthy people. Romney needs to quit acting like he is wrong to have worked and made money.
If he feels ashamed then give more away. By his pandering he is feeding the fires of those who would stoke the wealth envy crowd.

arnold ziffel on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

White Rino Obama

SDarchitect on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

…Ironically, he would come off MORE as a “average Joe” by just briefly touching upon what he did to work to earn that money, and then leave it at that.

BlaxPac on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

But in Romney’s case, what he did to earn his money is exactly what needs to be done to the federal government. Cost cutting, getting rid of unproductive or poorly run operations, selling off properties, cutting headcount, etc. I see a perfect match there.

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Out. Of. Touch.

But at that Roms gets my vote vs Obama any day

philw1776 on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

WARNING

double Yawn.

what is this? Occupy Wallstreet .com? seriously. who cares

Drunk Report on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Don’t click, Virus.

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

He is also hip because he has some cool black friends.

Uppereastside on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Romney: No, I’ve never put a bird in a cage, but I’ve put a dog on top of a car!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Midwesterner on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

If that was Obama, he would have to return to shore and think about what plan of action to take After several hours, he call the local authorities and file a report.

Oil Can on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I wonder how Mitt’s jump shot is? I bet Rick can take him 1 on 1.

kirkill on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Romney should’ve said:

Bunch of cowards, won’t even drive in the rain!

lorien1973 on February 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Lib4life, I’m curious how your mind works. Who would make up your dream ticket?

jb34461 on February 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

NASCAR-a bunch of cars go around a track-boring

I’m going to get killed for that

gerrym51 on February 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Gosh. That’s my first encounter with such incisive and witty commentary on stock car racing. I also happened to notice that in many of the races, the drivers frequently turn left.

fiatboomer on February 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Let’s see…

Romney drives a Mustang and Chevy Pickup Truck and his wife has a Caddy Suburban to haul her grandkids around in (one at each house) and you call him out of touch”?

LOL

Out of touch would say: Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari….

Nice try though.

Midwesterner on February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

philoquin on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I don’t have a problem with rich people going into politics, I have a problem with regular folks getting into politics and a few years later they are multi-millionaires.

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

J.E. Dyer on February 27, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Oh C’mon!!! No one watches hockey :)

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

He is also hip because he has some cool black friends.

Uppereastside on February 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Norwegian on February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

double Yawn.
what is this? Occupy Wallstreet .com? seriously. who cares
Drunk Report on February 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Cuz the OWS-driven attacks by Newt were soooo effective.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM

That doesn’t bother me.

This does.

During another moment while campaigning at the racetrack — where thunderstorms had delayed the sport’s biggest day — Romney seemed to mock the plastic ponchos worn by a group of fans.

“I like those fancy raincoats you bought,” he said, according to The New York Times. “Really sprung for the big bucks.” Source

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Romney should’ve said:

Bunch of cowards, won’t even drive in the rain!

lorien1973 on February 27, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Driving in the rain is easy when you get penalized for coming within 100 feet of another car’s fenders.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

but I do own an NHL team

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

How many Americans can afford that boat?

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

About $30K..almost bought one just like it. How many Americans could afford a boat like that? A whole lot less since Obama has been in office.

Your class warfare schtick is about as effective as your religious bigotry.

HumpBot Salvation on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

novaculus on February 27, 2012 at 5:02 PM

You sound pretty shaken up by this. Do you have somebody to talk to about these disturbing things Mitt Romney is saying?

Dead Hand Control on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Hey Romney’s not the guy who can’t connect, it’s us. I don’t know much about NASCAR either and I don’t even know any owners.

rhombus on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Typical liberal personal attack fits you well.

rich801 on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Nine years ago. 2002 think that was when he was endorsed by Planed Parenthood, GLBT, and anti gun groops when he ran to the left of his Democratic opponent for Governor of Mass. Where he appointed SC Justices that forced Gay Marriage and appointed an entire board that forced insurance companies to cover Abortions with little or no co-pay.

But hey let’s forget all that because he came to the rescue of a person in need. I’m sorry but I am not impressed by a Politician pandering off something they did for someone. I wonder if they only did it for political gain.

Steveangell on February 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM

It’s not that he’s rich, it’s that he has a Gorillas in the Mist concept of those outside his circle.

INC on February 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

GIT ‘R Done class warriors. We need a President who hangs out with the drivers. None a that high falootin’ owner hehaw.

jan3 on February 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

At least this comment is honest, and not threatening – as the “I like to fire people” comment was.

WhatNot on February 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

This made me chuckle! Mitt Romney is never ever going to be the average Joe, let’s face it…I don’t think it’s such a biggie. “I don’t claim to be a man of the people, but I do try to be a man *for* them”…

ellifint on February 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

This really reminds of me of H.W. Bush and the whole grocery scanner flap.

Doomberg on February 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Flora Duh on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

He was probably trying to be one of the guys and utterly failed.

INC on February 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

LMAO! this line is going to cost him! *facepalm*

nathor on February 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Good grief. I don’t need a predident to “connect” to me. I want a leader. Someone who can “gedder done”. Dude doesn’t have to be a hunter or a Nascar fan or a good ole boy. Clinton was that and look what it got us.

bluealice on February 27, 2012 at 5:15 PM

So to be a Conservative you have to follow NASCAR?I guess that leaves me out then.

sandee on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

RomneySpitzer: No, your wife isn’t that attractive, but I did bang six high-class hookers the other day that were better-looking than her!

MadisonConservative on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

FIFY :)

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Too rich, too out of touch…

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Too liberal, too full of shite…

hawkdriver on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Romney has never been poor or middle class.
He has been in the 1% tax bracket his whole life. Have no sense of what everyday Americans go through. Thats why he always feels uncomfortable around middle class and poor folks. He just can’t related

too out of touch

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Zaggs on February 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM

As I said in the headline thread, he could have said he has friends in the business. He gave dems another sound bite.

Lightswitch on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

the more I find them goofily endearing.

Being an atheist, I wonder if you understand what Romney’s life is like? I’ll try to explain….

Devote Mormons don’t have a lot of time beyond what they do to practice their faith and strengthen their family. Here is a basic rundown of a week in the life of the typical LDS person……

Sunday…3 hours of worship. If you have a calling, another hour for a organizational meeting. The time getting the kids ready. On Sunday there is no TV, no shopping, etc. You visit family, the sick, etc.

Monday night…Family Home Evening. The entire family gathers for an hour or so. There is lesson, song, spiritual thought, treat, prayers, and clean up. The entire family is involved taking turns week to week on each item.

Tuesday night….auxiliary meeting. 1 hour.

Wednesday….Youth night.

Thursday….free night!! YEAH!

Friday….Ward Party, etc.

Saturday night….free night!

The LDS are very involved with the family. Therefore many activities need to be appropriate for the entire family. Hunting, NASCAR, etc are not activities the entire family can enjoy together. Any Sunday TV sports are not part of Sunday activities. (as always there are many exceptions, but the commitment to family is the main focus)

So the fact that Romney doesn’t connect with regular folks has more to do with his family and faith commitments than it does his money. This is why his family shines in private settings and seems disconnected when it comes to relating to those of us who do not have the same belief system.

csdeven on February 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

The problem with Romney is not his wealth, it is his disconnect with average Americans because he has lived his life in a very affluent bubble.

And what is with “the trees are all the right height”? Is this a code for something? Very strange.

fight like a girl on February 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

sandee on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

yes, you must enjoy cars going in circles and stuff

bad conservative!

DHChron on February 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Cost cutting: You mean cut federal spending? There’s 535 people who already get paid to do that. But I jest.

getting rid of unproductive or poorly run operations: Like the TSA and EPA? Don’t hold your breath.

selling off properties: Sell what to who? Guam to China? How about California to Mexico?

cutting headcount: Sorry, Mitt can’t lay off American citizens to improve the ratios. That, or start a gigantic war with huge casualties. Thats one way to cut “labor expenses”. Kill the laborers.

BobMbx on February 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Not to ask a stupid question but do they really have to keep that distance or are you kidding?

arnold ziffel on February 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Romney is a loser . . .just fact it!

Pragmatic on February 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

At least Moochele actually WENT to a NASCAR race once. And she looked so genuine and comfortable too! Now about Barry, I dunno… somehow it doesn’t fit the President Solar/Wind/PixieDust/UnicornGas image.

Marcola on February 27, 2012 at 5:18 PM

sandee on February 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Your kind ain’t welcome around these parts.

NotCoach on February 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

How many Americans can afford that boat?

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Millions of Americans own ski boats… Who cares if his cost a little more than average?

Water skiing is a VERY average sport in middle America.

Last time I checked he doesn’t own a yacht or a private jet or an island in the Carribean…

Midwesterner on February 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Romney is a loser . . .just face it!

Pragmatic on February 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM