Romney on NASCAR: I don’t follow it closely but I have some friends who own NASCAR teams

posted at 4:50 pm on February 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

No foolin’: The more I write about these populist blind spots of his, the more I find them goofily endearing. What’s the big knock on Romney? That he’s an overly scripted phony who’ll say anything to get elected, right? Well, rest assured: No one would script this line. This is the real Mitt, doing his awkward best to relate. Not in a snobby way either — I think the class divide implicit in his answer utterly escapes him. He’s just trying to connect with NASCAR fans and this is the best he can do. I almost want to tousle his hair and say, “Good effort!”

Think we can convince every independent in America to share my view?

Asked by the AP reporter if he follows NASCAR, Romney responded, “Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans. But I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners.”

Democrats and liberals quickly ridiculed the remark on Twitter. “I don’t know people who fish but I know people who own yachts,” tweeted Brad Woodhouse, communications director of the Democratic National Committee. Ari Melber, a writer for the liberal Nation magazine who apparently was watching the Oscars, tweeted: “Do I like movies? Well I have some friends who own movie companies.”…

For Romney, it was just his world and his friends. For Democrats, it was a political opportunity. “This is just the latest example of how out of touch Mitt Romney is from the average American experience. From an economic plan that provides tax cuts to line the pockets of his friends — like those who own NASCAR teams — to wanting Wall Street to write its own rules, Mitt Romney just doesn’t get it and won’t work to restore economic security for the middle class,” said DNC press secretary Melanie Roussell.

Sounds like something Mr. Howell might say to Gilligan. And hey, everyone loved Mr. Howell. Optimism.

The punchline, of course, is that despite the left’s theatrical mirth about Mitt being out of touch, he’ll almost certainly beat Obama easily among NASCAR fans in the fall. Watch the clip, then restore your equilibrium by reading this BuzzFeed piece about Romney’s heroism nine years ago when he and his sons heard a family screaming for help on Lake Winnipesaukee. Whatever else you think of Mitt, he’s awfully good during a personal crisis.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I am not surprised that some posters here are upset at Romney. Imagine, there are people who actually have friends.

galtani on February 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You know, I have never had a particular interest in NASCAR, although my young son used to like it, but when I see how many snot-nosed, narrow-minded elitist wannabes look down their noses at the sport, it makes me think I should take more of an interest in it.

Right Mover on February 27, 2012 at 7:43 PM

What part of this are you not understanding DHC…?

To get in to Harvard and then to graduate with a DOUBLE MAJOR in Law and Business in the TOP FIVE PERCENT has NOTHING to do with Romney’s Dad. :o)

He went to Harvard because his grades warranted it from his high scores at Stanford and BYU. :o) Again, it was HIS intelligence and NOT HIS DAD. :o)

SO WHAT? Woodrow Wilson was a Princeton idiot. GW Bush was a Yale/Harvard guy who kept spending money and started the bailouts. Obama is a moron from Harvard….etc.

We need a CONSERVATIVE or we WILL LOSE.

M_J_S on February 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM

What part of this are you not understanding DHC…?

We need a CONSERVATIVE or we WILL LOSE.

M_J_S on February 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM

There’s an enormous difference between “educated” and “intelligent.”

Right Mover on February 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Jailbreak on February 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM
Every time I see your name I think of this. :)

imasoulman on February 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM

There ya go…. :)

Jailbreak on February 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Rational Thought on February 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I remember when Mikey (Waltrip) founded his own team a few years ago. He got 3 really good national sponsors, but had NO points for guaranteed spots to start the first 5 races. He and his team only made about half the races his first year. He did much better the 2nd year and finally, the third year, his teams finished in the top 35 to have those coveted guaranteed spots in the first 5 races. I was also hoping that he would get incredibly rich from starting his own teams. Nascar is an American dream sport.

Tony Stewart just started his own team. They did incredibly well from the start and he won the championship last year. It was exciting. I hope he gets incredibly rich, too.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Apparently Rick Santorum likes nascar, he is sponsoring 26 (his campaign) tonite. I can’t remember if the 26 was involved in the crash at the beginning of the race.

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2012/26cup.htm for images of the sponsorship.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Along the topic of the thread:

NASCAR’s Most Valuable Teams: The top nine NASCAR teams are evualated by Forbes:
1) Hendrick Motorsports $350 million
2) Roush Fenway Racing $185 million
3) Joe Gibbs Racing $155 million
4) Richard Childress Racing $147 million
5) Stewart-Haas Racing $108 million
6) Penske Racing $98 million
7) Michael Waltrip Racing $90 million
8) Earnhardt Ganassi Racing $76 million
9) Richard Petty Motorsports $58 million
(see full story and more at forbes.com.(2-25-2012)

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM

More on the forbes analysis of nascar,

2011 Highest paid drivers: Forbes.com estimated 2011 NASCAR driver annual earnings, Forbes earnings figures include driving salaries, personal endorsements, share of race winnings, licensing income and bonuses. The top-10:
1. Dale Earnhardt Jr.  $28 million
2. Jeff Gordon  $24 million
3. Tony Stewart  $22 million
4. Jimmie Johnson  $21 million
5. Carl Edwards  $15.5 million
6. Kevin Harvick  $14 million
7. Kyle Busch  $14 million
8. Danica Patrick  $12 million [indy car]
9. Matt Kenseth  $11.5 million
10. Kasey Kahne  $11 million
(See more at Forbes.com)(2-24-2012)

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Mitt : “Let’em eat biscuits n’ gravy!!!!

Fuquay Steve on February 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

With the invasion of NOT-Romney shills this place is turning into SNotAir.

Gunlock Bill on February 27, 2012 at 6:27 PM

What’s a “NotRomney shill”? We’re just reflecting about 75% of GOP voters.

ddrintn on February 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

We’re just reflecting about 75% of GOP voters.
ddrintn on February 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

2012 Republican Popular Vote
Total
Romney 1,121,800
Dingrich 838,839
Santorum 432,010
Paul 308,186
(Romney +282,961)

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

So?

Last I look, we have an electoral college, so you have to win STATES, not the overall popular vote. Just like here in MI, you have to win the votes at the congressional district level, NOT at the state level, to get the most delegates.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Very interesting tactic, Mitt is running PRO Mitt ads here on nascar tonite. Maybe he is getting a clue.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM

you have to win STATES, not the overall popular vote
karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Those numbers come from state primary elections. There is no national primary from which to get number totals.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hilarious quote. Hadn’t read the stories at those links before. Man, Romney’s a hero.

netster007x on February 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

We’re just reflecting about 75% of GOP voters.
ddrintn on February 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM

2012 Republican Popular Vote
Total
Romney 1,121,800
Dingrich 838,839
Santorum 432,010
Paul 308,186
(Romney +282,961)

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Yeah, so the others suck too. So?

ddrintn on February 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

WOW !!
Check the Indy race !
Now, this is a first !!

pambi on February 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Jesus, are any of you watching Daytona right now? Unbelievable. I have never seen anything like that.

Rational Thought on February 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Mitt : “Let’em eat biscuits n’ gravy!!!!

Fuquay Steve on February 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Now that right there is funny. LOL!

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM

LOL … I was so excited, I typed Indy instead of NASCAR .. My bad.
CRAZINESS !!

pambi on February 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Rosie O’Donnell just tweeted: “What are they waiting for? Everybody knows jet fuel can’t melt asphalt!”

Also: “My butt crack is dripping sweat into my boots!”

galtani on February 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM

So you’re saying friends at the Alex Jones Prison Planet forum don’t count?

Adjoran on February 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Adjoran on February 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Just getting ready to close the tab on this thread and looky looky at the gem I almost missed. LOL! I owe ya big for those two laughs.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

This will probably sound dumb to you all, but Romney’s ineptness as in ‘a couple Cadillacs’ and ‘friends who own Nascar teams’ I find a bit endearing. Yes, he’s a bit out of touch, but he’s sincere and a bit naive and that’s who he is.

Empathy is way overrated especially by Democrats. In capitalism the individual prospers when the entire country does and targeting help to an individual or group because you ‘feel their pain’ is very often counter productive.

MaggiePoo on February 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Lake Winnipesaukee!

“And dont call me Leo.”

“But you said in your office that I could call you Leo.”

“That was in my office. In my home, I’d like you to call me Dr Marvin.”

EddieC on February 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Community organizers work in inner cities, they see poverty first hand. They understand struggling Americans and their problems.

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Oh Please…I’ve lived in the inner city…and I’ve seen poverty first hand…Hell, I lived it, up close and personal too. That’s why I don’t fault people working to get the hell out of that type of situation.

Nor, do i automatically believe that every “rich” person that made X amount of dollars was only able to do so by extracting the blood from my body or the marrow from my bones.

Being an American or living in American doesn’t guarantee you wealth, it just increases the odds of you to attain it.

BlaxPac on February 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

liberal4life on February 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

How elitist and out of touch that sounds.

Question, do NASCAR fans prefer people who don’t know much about Nascar, but frequent with pleasure guys who do, or people who see their horrible (should be banned = co2 Gods and guns fuelled)sport as an anthropological opportunity of do-gooding “understanding”?

Hope on February 28, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Good Lord, he can’t be THAT out of touch can he? No wonder Obama wants to run against him in the general!

dominigan on February 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM

dominigan on February 28, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Certainly not a good answer, but at least he wasn’t being phony, like some of these other politicians. He would have been better off talking about his love of cars, or maybe talking about some of the great people associated with NASCAR that he’s met in his travels.

ghostwriter on February 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM

But it isn’t as if Obama is that plugged into the American people. Obama understands the Northside Chicago city-type, and looks down his nose at the rest.

ghostwriter on February 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM

ha ha ha, I ran into this while I was reading online at Forbes.com

Nascar’s strongest and most valuable team remains Hendrick Motorsports. With a valuation of $350 million on revenues of $177 million in 2010, Hendrick is worth 56% more than the next-highest-grossing team, Roush Fenway Racing, which we value at $224 million on revenues of $140 million last year. Hendrick is home to five-time Cup champion Jimmie Johnson; four-time champ Jeff Gordon; Nascar’s most popular and highest-paid driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr.; and Mark Martin, who has 40 Cup race wins to his name. Hendrick earned a Nascar-high $18 million in operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) in 2010 as Johnson racked up another Cup title.

A lot of people talking like Nascar is some sort of grass roots entertainment, low budget, etc. Looks like Mitt hit the nail on the head, it is commercial entertainment folks, and in business to make money after all.

Fleuries on February 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Fleuries on February 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM

… And doesn’t even resemble the NASCAR I knew in the 60s and 70s.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Jailbait on February 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Every time I see your name I think of this.

imasoulman on February 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM