Dem Rep to constituents on HHS mandate: “Basically, we’re not looking to the Constitution”

posted at 3:05 pm on February 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This moment in constitutional cluelessness comes to us from the same townhall meeting Rep. Kathy Hochul held with her NY-26 constituents that we featured on Saturday.  The local media missed this moment in their report, however, and it was even more telling than the chorus of boos that greeted Hochul when she attempted to defend the HHS mandate on contraception, sterilization, and abortifacients.  When challenged by a reader of Freedom’s Lighthouse on the constitutionality of the mandate, Hochul’s response was rather telling:

“Well, basically, we’re not looking to the Constitution on that aspect of it.”

Hochul tried arguing that Congress has decided that people should get access to free health care and that’s the end of that question as far as Hochul is concerned, but clearly it wasn’t with this crowd. As another constituent reminded Hochul, the First Amendment takes precedence over Congress.  In fact, the First Amendment explicitly states that it takes precedence over Congress: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof[.]“  Hochul then tries to claim that she’s defending freedom of religion by, er, telling Catholic organizations that they’re not actually religious organizations any more.

Be sure to watch to the end, or you’ll miss this exchange, too:

Q: So why don’t we provide free access to Band-Aids and cancer screenings? Why is it contraception? Aren’t those more important to health care than contraception? [Applause]

HOCHUL: Well, clearly more work needs to be done … [laughter]

Yes, because clearly Democrats want to mandate that everything be provided for free, funded only by unicorn emissions and fresh crops off the money trees.  They’re just starting with contraception.  As far as that pesky Constitution goes, I think that the new Democratic Party slogan of “We Don’t Look to the Constitution” spells out their choice beautifully — and 72% of Americans already agree that it describes ObamaCare perfectly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

OhEssYouCowboys on February 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Wgasa

BobMbx on February 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Bitter? Naw, I just understand the reality of my situation.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM

*Bingo*

A Democrat caught telling the truth.

itsspideyman on February 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM

She has violated the terms of her oath of office. She held up her right hand and swore to support and defend the Constitution, and now her words convict her.

Thank you for submitting your resignation, Congresswoman..

ted c on February 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Seriously, if you can’t hold your pols accountable to their oath of office, what can you hold them to? For the life of me, I cannot see why this issue is being ignored.

Breach of Oath of Office should mean immediate resignation or removal. Period.

petefrt on February 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Constitution? We don’t need no stinkin’ constitution.

chewmeister on February 27, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Don’t Congresspersons take an Oath? Where is the Ethics Committee?

bluefox on February 27, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Well of course the problem is the Demos are more compassionate, intelligent, you name it, than those primitive, cavemen who wrote the constitution.

yhxqqsn on February 27, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Rep. Kathy Hochul (D-NY) needs to be VOTED OUT OF OFFICE in November.

Iraq War Veteran David Bellavia is exploring the possibility of running as a Republican against Rep. Hochul.

Learn more about David Bellavia at his website:

If you live in or near New York Congressional District 26, please let us all know what you think of David Bellavia or any other candidates who are willing to run against Rep. Hochul.

wren on February 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.”

-Oath of office for U.S. Representatives

Bat Chain Puller on February 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Thank you for posting this. I hope she has an opponent. She was just elected in 11/2010. Here is her bio:
Gender: Female
Hometown: Not Available
Birth: In Not Available
Professional Experience
(including Military): Not Available
Education:
Family: Not Available
Faith: Not Available

Previous Political Work: None or Not Available

Maybe we should email Speaker Boehner. Not that he would do anything, but just so he’s on record.

bluefox on February 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Rep. Kathy Hochul (D-NY) needs to be VOTED OUT OF OFFICE in November.

Learn more about David Bellavia at his website:

wren on February 27, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Thanks wren!! Hope these campaigns aren’t causing too much work. It’s hard for me to keep up with it all. Haven’t seen you on HA for a while.

bluefox on February 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Hi bluefox,

I read HotAir every day (it’s addictive!), but I only comment when I have something that might be useful to add to the conversation.

It just takes a couple of minutes of Googling to find the candidates who are running against these Congressional Democrats. The FEC.gov website is usually a good place to start the search for the opposition candidates.

Since I have volunteered on several campaigns in the past, I know how important it is to help spread the word about good conservative candidates who are willing to run against Democrat incumbents.

If we all got into the habit of sharing the names and campaign websites of the Republican candidates who are running against these Democrats every time we see an elected official who is doing something particularly stupid or unconstitutional, we could clean up the House and the Senate in 2012 with landslide elections.

The November election is only 8 months away. We all need to get focused on helping the best candidates to win!

The support (donations, volunteers, visibility etc.) candidates receive early in the election cycle will always have the biggest impact! So the sooner we start, the better.

Onward toward lots of Conservative VICTORIES in November!

wren on February 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Onward toward lots of Conservative VICTORIES in November!

wren on February 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I agree, HA is addictive:-) Thanks for that website. I wasn’t aware of that, good resource.

Sharing that info on the Candidates that are running is a great idea. That’s part of our problem I think. We need to have a blog that does that exact thing.

You already know I follow Jim DeMint’s Senate Conservative site which gives a lot of info. I haven’t been able to find anything similar for the House tho. We really need one.

Oh, I came across a website that you may want to check out. It’s not a list of anyone but has a lot of info. Read their About.

I found it from a link from RightScoop for the video below:

I hope we have success in Nov/2012!! President/House/Senate!!

bluefox on February 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Thank you, bluefox!

The electad.com website is a GREAT resouce! I hadn’t heard of that site before. It’s so helpful to have all that election info consolidated on one site!

I am on Senator DeMint’s email list too. His recommendations are always helpful!

I agree that a blog for the House elections would be very useful. Larry Sabato has a Crystal Ball website that provides a lot of helpful information about the House races (in addition to other Federal and State races).

Larry Sabato’s site will likely get more specific about the names of the Candidates who are running for Congress after the Primary Season.

I put together a list of all the Candidates who were running for Governor a couple of years ago and it was a massive project for just 50 states. It would be an even larger project to create a similar list for all 435 Congressional races – especially before the Primary elections “thin the herd”.

But we can all keep an eye on the Candidates who are running for Congress in our local areas and then share that info via our Conservative networks.

The battle to clean the House, Senate and White House continues!

wren on February 27, 2012 at 10:22 PM

ITguy, you’re a treasure ! :-)
Especially to those of us with so little time, and hope to find these things from our HA buds.
Y’ALL rock !

pambi on February 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words, pambi!

This is definitely a team effort!

ITguy on February 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM

My personal condoms feature the entire constitution printed out in a 12 font.

NoDonkey on February 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Is it a full-body condom? (I just had to go there……)

GWB on February 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM