Breaking: School shooting in Ohio wounds four, shooter in custody; Update: Five wounded; Update: Twitter warning? Update: One victim died

posted at 10:17 am on February 27, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Three boys and a girl were wounded today when a 17-year-old opened fire in a suburban Ohio school this morning. The gunman fled but was captured nearby after the school locked down and SWAT teams raced to the crime scene:

Four students were wounded when a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria of a suburban Cleveland high school just as the school day was beginning Monday, law enforcement officials said.

The suspected Chardon High School shooter – believed to be a student, according to a school official – was in custody, FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson told reporters. …

School administrators locked down schools in the city of Chardon, Ohio, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. and assured parents that all remaining students were safe.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the shooting took place in the cafeteria at the beginning of the school day:

The shooting happened in the cafeteria, according to a waiting parent, Jessica Bryant, whose freshman daughter, Allison, had seen it and texted her.

Parents were being told at 8:21 that it might not be safe to remain near the school. Maple Elementary school across the street was being evacuated. …

A local official said three boys and a girl were injured. Four ambulances — from Chardon, Kirtland, Burton and Chesterland — arrived at the school just after 8. Sources said three of the students were flown to the trauma center at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.

I’ll update the story as more details come in.

Update: The number of wounded has risen to five, according to CNN.  A teacher apparently chased the shooter out of the school in order to prevent more injuries, although there are no details on how that happened.  The student may have warned people last night on Twitter:

A student at Chardon High School, Evan Erasmus, told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV that the suspect in Monday’s shootings may have posted a threatening message Sunday night on the social networking service Twitter.

“I think he said that he was going to bring a gun to school and I think that everyone just blew it off like he was joking,” Erasmus said.

Here’s the report from the affiliate:

Teresa Hunt told NewsChannel5 that her daughter said that she heard five shots fired in the cafeteria at about 7:30 a.m. Hunt has been texting with her daughter who said students are scared. She said her daughter told her four people were shot.

Chardon student Evan Erasmus told NewsChannel5 that a student tweeted that he was going to bring a gun to school but not one took him seriously.

I’ll add more as developments warrant.

Update: One victim has died, according to WOIO-TV in Ohio.  CNN also has that report on its live blog.  Fox 8 in Cleveland is also reporting the death (via Twitter follower Billintheblank):

Chardon Police Chief Tim McKenna says that one of the student victims in Monday’s shooting at Chardon High School has died.

Pray for the victims and their families.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

H*ll I was bullied a few times … I turned out ok …. got in a couple of fights ..
once got a 1 day “vacation” …. I never walked into a school with guns and a list …. ( I did make a list once …. if I have contracted rabies of ppl I would bite)
but that was all …. :D
conservative tarheel on February 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Since I was a nice kid and brought up not to start/get into fights that I had no business with, a few bullies tried to take advantage of that.
But, like you, I found once you deck ‘em and get both your behinds hauled into the school office, lol, that’s the end of it.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Goodbye.

Dack Thrombosis on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

we need to arm every high schooler to avoid tragedies like this.

sesquipedalian on February 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

You betcha. I can remember bringing my knives, bow & arrows and guns to school. Heck up to and beyond Columbine, schools had shooting teams.

AH_C on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Nate said his group was friends with T.J. through middle school, but in high school, T.J. went a separate way.

Russell, he said, had recently started dating T.J.’s ex-girlfriend, who is home-schooled.

“He was silent the whole time,” said Nate, who was waiting for a bus to his culinary arts classes at Auburn Career Center. “That’s what made it so random.”

T.J., he said, normally waits for a bus that goes to Lake Academy, a school in Willoughby that serves at-risk students.

Police have confirmed that there are five victims and that the shooter is in custody.

Isolated kid. Falling behind. Losing contact. Chemical issues.

Sad, sad, sad.

budfox on February 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Goodbye.

Dack Thrombosis on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Yep. Why is it so hard for folks to apologize for a wrong headed comment?

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Why thank you, Internet Commenter Police.

Take your white knighting and go fight at dailykos or another lib equivalent.

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Sadly, this was where I grew up. Chardon is very nice–still so after all these years. Every spring they have the Maple Festival on the town square–trees are tapped for sap and you can ride rides etc…very small town feel (even though it seems to grow every time I go back to visit). It’s the quintessential small American town.

It’s sad to know this happened and that young kids were hurt and one died (God I hope no others do).

I lived just down the road from that school and had early morning study hall in that cafeteria. I have many good memories of school there and when I logged onto the internet today and saw a picture of the school, my heart sank.

My prayers to the families involved and my hopes for the sternest penalty of law to the coward with the gun. A gun doesn’t make you a man you pathetic weasel. And no series of simpering excuses will make right what you did. Coward.

Montana on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

No. Teachers, nannies, parents, daycares…
…it was very common to lock an “unruly” child in a closet or bathroom away from the other students at a very, very early age.
Horrible practice that only induces mental trauma.
budfox on February 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I’m sorry but I just don’t recall strings of school shootings from when it was “very common” – and I go back a few years. Also, what you’re talking about is “parenting”. However, I don’t recall strings of closet-based parentcide murder sprees.

The bottom line is that some kids are just nuts or plain ol’ bad seed. That’s even setting aside mankind in general being a fallen creature. But some people are just profoundly, deeply evil.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Like I said its your choice. I understand you to be under stress, Who isn’t? You will be gone, if not now then soon, you ain’t to smart are ya?

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Oh, Goodbye.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Montana on February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

It’s sad to think how, in addition to the tangible tragedy, the fond memories of the school will be tainted by this horror for so many people such as yourself.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

that is exactly what they are which is why homeschooling children is a valid and reasonable route to take for many parents. The “conventional wisdom” is that kids ought to go to school, parents ought to work, and that through school, the kids ought to learn enough to get them a job, be it after college or not.

ted c on February 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Homeschooling is a valid and reasonable route but it isn’t an easy route nor is it one that all parents have the ability to pursue. Add to that the many states where teacher’s unions have ensured regulations that make it all the more difficult to pull your child out of a socialist incubator (aka the local public school).

But where I’ve got to disagree with you slightly is “conventional wisdom.” Conventional wisdom is that kids ought to go to school, one parent should be going to work while the other is making the home and getting involved in the community such as volunteering at the school. Of course, society isn’t close to this idea anymore. I’ve got to wonder how many parents even know what goes on in schools these days.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I live in the area and this is a very nice community. Not that anyplace is immune from this sort of thing happening, but you just don’t expect it. As many people are on the airwaves trying to find a reason for this it really comes down to the individual that did the shooting. No other blame really needs to be assigned.

buckeyerich on February 27, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Yep. Just for a perspective, Chardon is not, as the article said, a suburb of Cleveland. It has been an established town for a long time. Used to be very rural, and still is to some extent. Nearby there are communities of Amish and Kirtland still has a Mormon temple. It is predominantly White and is definitely middle to upper middle clas. This is not inner city ghetto.

Sounds like the shooter had some serious issues that weren’t handled very well. This could happen anywhere, any era. When I was in school back in the dark ages, a high school student tried to kill his parents and former girlfriend and her friends, with the intention of killing himself. Luckily his father was able to disarm him and he only wounded his parents and one girl. This was in a middle class small town 40 years ago. Troubled teens are not a new thing, just that we hear about them more often because of the media’s reach.

Deanna on February 27, 2012 at 2:16 PM

O/T,Another in Progress!

nbcbayarea tweeted:
*******************

#Breaking# Shots fired in Oakland, OPD Investigating, Roosevelt school on lockdown east 22nd near 17th, no victim right now.

Submitted 7 mins ago from
=============================

canopfor on February 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Seven Seas… I don’t think you should be banned; I think you should seek help. Soon. I’m very, very serious.

FruitedPlain on February 27, 2012 at 2:21 PM

BREAKING……………….

@abc7newsBayArea tweeted:
**************************

#BREAKING:
**********

Roosevelt Middle School in Oakland is on lockdown. Police are searching for a gunman in the area.

Submitted 11 mins ago from twitter.com/abc7newsBayArea
============================

Roosevelt Middle School in Oakland is on lockdown as police search for a gunman in the area
*************************

canopfor on February 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I don’t support people being shot, indiscriminately, nor do I go around hoping for it, But after it’s all said and done (in this case, shooter in police custody), this is what I wind up thinking about. Being unemployed for a while will do this to your brain, as you see everything through the lens of getting a job.

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I think we’re zeroing in on the reasons why you’ve been unsuccessful so far.

JeffWeimer on February 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Seven Seas on February 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I think we’re zeroing in on the reasons why you’ve been unsuccessful so far.
JeffWeimer on February 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Good observation. As folks have noted, quite a malfunction in the noggin there.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM

chemman on February 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I was bullied to the point that I nearly took my own life.
I was told that the only way I would ever lose my virginity was if I was raped, that I should be forcibly sterilized so that i wouldn’t give birth to more ‘retards’ etc.
Horrible stuff.
Despite that-I managed to turn out BETTER than some of my tormentors.
Life goes on.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Despite that-I managed to turn out BETTER than some of my tormentors.
Life goes on.
annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Yup. It’s like the old saying about when life giving you lemons.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM

My spouse works at a correctional “camp” for boys 14 – 18 years old. It’s the smallest and mildest of 3 correctional places for youth in our county, 128 beds. Given what he tells me, about the crimes and behavior involved, it’s amazing this doesn’t happen more often.

jodetoad on February 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM

John the Libertarian on February 27, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Bullying has gone on as long as we have had schools. I suffered through it for periods over 3 years, (62, 63, 64). While I finally had to beat the daylights out of the bullies to stop it I would have never thought to take it out on others. What has changed that those who are bullied then precede to harm others that aren’t involved? So there is more to it than just bullying.

chemman on February 27, 2012 at 1:25 PM

School shootings are rage killings, and usually end in the death of the shooter. I think mental health professionals and law enforcement agencies are still trying to figure out why these ind individuals are not content to just end their own lives, and why they have to take other people out with them.

Bullying is indeed a major factor though.

As for bullying, you can’t compare today and your own youth.

The level of constant communication between teens is 100% higher than anybody 35+ has encountered. The peer pressure is insane because it’s incessant, so “contact” as most of us know it doesn’t occur except in certain events.

In previous decades, bullying ended on school grounds. Today, it enters the home via online. Some bullying is done by exclusion, which is its own nightmare scenario in social media.

Do I think that’s what happened here? Maybe. I know the area. It’s been more rural than suburb. IMO, if Angrymike’s comment was right, you have a kid who has been considered an easy mark in the past, has a substance problem, most likely booze, and got played for his cash. That is a retaliatory response that’s been engrained in our culture hard since the 90′s. Previously, we would raise fists. Now, shoot ‘em up.

budfox on February 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

This.

Kids are absolutely horrible and relentless to each other, and as a society we have to have a zero tolerance policy on all types of bullying- physical, verbal, emotional, cyber, etc.

Bullies are typically huge cowards that will back down once someone stands up to them, but this needs to happen on all fronts.

Parents have to recognize when their own kids are being bullies and put an end to it, and they have to teach their kids that you stand up for those that are being bullied, you don’t just stand by and let it happen.

Teachers need to stop bullying in the classroom, and document and report it. Students need to stick up for each other and realize that this crass garbage they watch on TV where bullying is glorified (think the gym teacher on Glee) is a load of crap and that in reality no one likes an @**hole, no matter how funny they seem.

cmsciulli on February 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

cmsciulli on February 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

excellent point … I agree …. cyber bullies .. parents need to be proactive on the web … know where your kid goes and what he does there … period …

conservative tarheel on February 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM

but that was all …. :D
conservative tarheel on February 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Same here. I never was much of a big guy, but I took care of myself and avoided the bullies and the fights, by standing my ground, and laughing at them as if they did not worry me in the least. Some would be amazed how well that works. Really did not have much choice since I doubted I was going to out run them and the other choice is to get hurt, which was never high on my list of wants.

Franklyn on February 27, 2012 at 4:31 PM

We are living in a bizarro world today.
It’s ok for schools to hand out condoms, abortions, std test, but God forbid we let them pray, MAYBE this sort of thing could have prevented.
We are living in a bizarro world today.

mmcnamer1 on February 27, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Another gun related “gun free zone” crime. When will we wake up?

lilium479 on February 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM

cmsciulli on February 27, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Tell me about, I had 8 siblings. Haven’t killed any of them yet, so far, though.

whatcat on February 27, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Is it really that hard to cut down on the constant communications with kids? It was relatively easy to convince my kids that their self worth wasn’t based on any other kid’s opinion. Stick and Stones was still part of the vocabulary.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM

AH_C on February 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

We have armed marshals on commercial airplanes. Seriously, there needs to be at least someone trained and armed to protect students and teachers in those environments so that they aren’t sitting ducks… be it in the faculty or student body, or both.

Myron Falwell on February 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM

” The current frequency of mass murder in the US has increase from approx. 1 case per month to approx. 1 case every 5 or 6 days…

Although the reality for murder is that we are experiencing relatively low homicide rates, public perception, fueled by highly publicized mass murders, leads us to feel that murder is more common than ever.”

“Serial Murderers and Their Victims”, Eric. W.Hickey.

“Most importantly, findings generally indicate that, although qualitatively different, there were two mass murder waves during the 20th century. In fact, contrary to popular belief, the mid-1960s did not mark the beginning of an unprecedented mass murder wave; rather, the U.S. experienced an earlier wave of mass murder that occurred in the 1920s and 1930s in the U.S. ”

the narrative that was manipulated out of Columbine over focused on the bullying to , in part, absolve the perpetrators by blaming the victims. that’s social justice talking- the blaming the victim for their assumed or constructed provocative behaviors, or blaming parenting or society for what is essentially the workings of free will of clearly disturbed individuals.

money flooded into anti-bullying programs of questionable efficacy after Columbine even as some of the victims could not get their medical bills paid. no money flowed in to aid the survivors in dealing with the psychological effects of being the targets of a murder spree. there’s something profoundly wrong with that- and enabling of future perpetrators to always be cast in the light as the True Victims of society itself for their transgressive and murderous actions against the actual victims.

[and for the record i was the victim of some fairly outrageous and physical bullying from elementary school through high school-and it was ignored by teachers, encouraged by coaches. adults often identify as do students with those who are perceived as more outwardly socially successful. children are without filters- they can be outstandingly cruel .social ostracism/stigmatization is used to solidify one's standing in and unity with the group . the worst of the bullies i found were those who experienced abuse at the hands of their elders and those with deep seated insecurities.]

the base of most serial and mass murder are feelings of loss of control of one’s life, feelings of inadequacy – by manipulating other humans and taking lives they are in their minds re-asserting control while gaining retribution for a diffuse and largely unfocused set of grievances. mass murder is also in most cases an elaborate form of splashy suicide, self induced martyrdom by malignant narcissists. blaming the victims by labeling them all de facto bullies only re-enforces the belief that the mass murderers’ distorted assessment of himself and society is correct.

mittens on February 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM

And audio streaming of NewsRadio WTAM 1100:

Myron Falwell on February 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thank you all for the prayers for my friend, her son and the son’s friend, who was shot today at Chardon.

The latest update from my friend is that her son’s friend has come through surgery okay and they are cautiously optimistic. She also has heard that a second student has died, but is not certain if that is confirmed. Just want to stress that as far as I know the second death is unconfirmed. My friend is understandably shaken up by this, but she’s just grateful her son is okay.

JenWestin on February 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Mean Streak Media blames Palin/FoxNews/Talk radio in 5…4….3…..

cableguy615 on February 27, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I just heard on the radio news that a second student has died.

onlineanalyst on February 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I just heard on the radio news that a second student has died.

onlineanalyst on February 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM

WTAM 1100 is stressing that it’s unconfirmed. And WKYC-TV is also stressing as such on their FB page (FWIW, WTAM has a news/weather partnership with WKYC).

Myron Falwell on February 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

JenWestin on February 27, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Wow. My heart goes out to you and your friend’s family. May that they successfully beat the odds.

Myron Falwell on February 27, 2012 at 9:12 PM

…prayers to the family,a second student from Ohio,
has passed!

Medical examiner’s office confirms 2nd student died after yesterday’s shooting at Chardon High School, Ohio

Submitted 5 mins ago from http://www.newsnet5.com
============================

canopfor on February 28, 2012 at 7:12 AM

canopfor on February 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Don’t have link, 3rd death in Chardon Ohio school shooting.
one still in bad shape,
pray for the victim’s and their families!

angrymike on February 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Intro question: if the shooter is the 17 year-old identified in the media, how did the 17 year-old come into possession of a firearm?

And to borrow one of the most wearying and tedious clichés among commenters on this site, copycat killing in 5 … 4 … 3 …

And how will that killer come into possession of a weapon to kill schoolchildren?

JackieB on February 28, 2012 at 1:36 PM