Quotes of the day

posted at 8:15 pm on February 26, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Whether Mitt Romney wins or loses the Michigan and Arizona primaries on Tuesday, his advisers are warning donors and other supporters to prepare for a longer, more bruising and more expensive fight for the Republican presidential nomination that may not be settled until at least May…

“Mr. Santorum is likewise preparing to fight on for weeks or months, enticed by new party rules that award delegates in early primaries and caucuses based on each candidate’s share of the votes. ‘The race is going to go a long time,’ he said as he left the stage, promising to ‘fight fire with fire.’…

“There is a growing sense among party leaders that the primary fight has gone on long enough and that continued attacks by the candidates and their allies have steered the conversation away from the economy and could damage the party’s prospects in the fall. But several Republicans said a diversion to social issues threatened to turn off independent voters, who will be needed to form a winning coalition in the fall…

“In Michigan, some Republican leaders expressed worries about the effect of an extended battle on the party’s prospects of winning the White House and suggested that the time had come for the party to rally around one candidate, however imperfect.”

***

“The most disturbing aspect of this election is that despite the parlous condition of the country and the profound vulnerability of the incumbent, the best Republican candidates — Jeb Bush, Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, and Haley Barbour — have sat it out. As I keep lamenting, in the terrible year 1968, with assassinations, riots, 550,000 draftees in Vietnam and 200 to 400 of them returning in body bags every week, at one time or another, Lyndon Johnson, Robert Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan were all running for president, and all of them were more impressive than the present contestants.

“Of the surviving Republican contenders, Ron Paul is a sound monetarist and a doughty libertarian, but he is a 76-year old kook who, like President Obama’s pastor, Jeremiah Wright, thinks 9/11 was the chickens coming home to roost. Newt Gingrich is a completely unfeasible flake. Rick Santorum is consistent, courageous, and believably argues for fiscal encouragement of families and the creation of jobs that add value to the economy and not just more lawyers and consultants and service-industry leeches. But he has his feet stuck in cement on abortion and same-sex marriage, and early in the campaign even criticized contraception. These shouldn’t be partisan issues at all, and any candidate who gets into them has self-detonating grenades strapped to his torso, front and back. Mitt Romney is more presentable and has a successful private-sector career behind him, but is afflicted by plasticity and has faced in all four directions on most issues…

“It is all as ludicrous as Fidel Castro, the world authority on misrule, claims. If Obama loses, it will be because the Republicans jump the rails on this corrupt, farcical nominating process and draft a serious candidate on a serious platform. If he wins, it will be a disaster to delight America’s critics, and will be repealed by a nation chastened back to its senses in 2016.”

***

“Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage told POLITICO Saturday he hopes to see a ‘floor fight’ at the GOP convention in Tampa this summer, giving the party an opportunity to nominate a ‘fresh face’ rather than one of the battered members of the 2012 field.

“‘I’m pushing for a floor fight … I’d like to see a good old-fashioned convention and a dark horse come out,’ LePage told my colleagues Dave Catanese and Alexander Trowbridge at the National Governors Association winter meeting. ‘I think the candidates, in my mind, have injured themselves and injured the party by not following Ronald Reagan’s ‘never speak badly of another Republican.”…

“‘It’s been too messy. I just believe we ought to go to the convention and pick a fresh face,’ LePage said. ‘They beat themselves up so badly that I’d think it’d be nice to have a fresh face.’”

***

“The most interesting [convention] scenario, however, is the case where the unpledged delegates would be sufficient to give a candidate a majority, but his claim to the nomination was somewhat tenuous. Suppose, for instance, that Mr. Romney had 43 percent of the delegates, Mr. Santorum 37 percent, and about 8 percent of delegates had not yet pledged to a candidate…

“If Mr. Romney’s plurality lead seemed to be built upon structural advantages in the delegate selection process rather than popular support — say, for instance, that Mr. Romney had the most delegates, but Mr. Santorum was 10 points ahead in national polls at he time — some delegates might conclude that it was not in the best interest of the party to give him a helping hand…

The aesthetics of how a candidate performs could be important in a case like this. If in addition to trailing in national polls, Mr. Romney had lost key states like Michigan and Ohio, it would be harder for him to claim that his nomination reflected the collective will of the Republican electorate.”

***

“By performing his aloofness from and contempt for the radical right, even as he fakes solidarity with it, Romney is doing exactly what he needs to do. He is keeping the radical right close to him for the general election by seeming to bow to its power, even as he is signaling to everyone else that he knows how miserably inadequate the support of the radical right will be in the general election.

“So let’s all calm down and stop getting so excited about a deadlocked convention, and a dark-horse nominee introduced at the last minute, and an imploded Republican opposition. Beyond Super Tuesday lie delegate-rich states like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and California that are not top heavy with Tea Partiers and evangelicals and that will almost certainly enable Romney to arrive at the convention with a strong hand. And beyond that are the party elites, who were content to use the radical right-wingers but who never liked them, and who tremble at the thought of Candidate Santorum. Finally there are the Tea Partiers and evangelicals who, though hostile to Romney at present, would rather vote for a golden retriever than give Obama another four years in the White House.

“What seems like a circus now is serious business, so let us look beyond the circus instead of exaggerating it.”

***

“Whatever risks it might pose in the general election, the controversy over contraceptives, the Catholic Church, and the Obama administration has been an unalloyed blessing for Santorum in the Republican-nomination fight. Popping up unexpectedly, it has shifted what the political sharpies call the ‘issue matrix’ in an awkward direction for Romney and a comfortable one for Santorum, and is likely to help the latter further solidify his already firm hold over a voting bloc with which his rival is notably weak…

“If Santorum can consolidate the support of these groups as Gingrich did momentarily in South Carolina, the battle between him and his amalgam of red-hots and Romney and his army of regulars will be pitched—and, depending on what happens on Tuesday in Michigan, maybe bloody and protracted

“The reality is that even winning Michigan (and Arizona the same day) may not be enough to rescue Romney from the rough. ‘Every money guy I know thinks Romney can’t win a general election,’ says a respected Washington player and presidential-campaign veteran. ‘Our guys on Capitol Hill are moving into survival-of-the-fittest, only-worrying-about-themselves mode. They think the damage to Romney may be done and may be irreversible—and now he might not even be the nominee. So Romney not only has to win Michigan and Arizona, but he has to have a resounding knockout on Super Tuesday or he’s gonna be in real, real trouble.’…

[I]f Obama prevails, precisely the opposite dynamic is likely to kick in: a period of bitter recriminations followed by a reformation (or counterreformation) of the GOP. This, please recall, was what many Republicans were counting on to happen in the wake of their party’s loss of the White House and seats in the House and Senate in 2008. Instead, Republicans seized on a strategy of relentless opposition to Obama, which proved politically effective in 2010 but left the party as bereft of new ideas, a constructive agenda, or a coherent governing philosophy as before. With Obama having looked beatable months ago, a botched bid to oust him—especially if coupled with a failure to take over the Senate—would usher in a full-blown Republican conflagration, followed by an effort to rise from the ashes by doing the opposite of what caused the meltdown of 2012.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

“‘Well, I think it is important to appeal to the independents, certainly as I’ve described, Ronald Reagan did,’ she said. ‘We will not win by getting only the people who voted for John McCain. So, yeah, we need moderates. We need my gender. We need independents. But I don’t even know what he is talking about — playing to fears, particularly. When I make that point I have specific criticisms. I don’t think we should be prattling nonstop about contraception in the middle of an economic meltdown. I don’t think we need a candidate who proposes child janitors and then turns around and opposes worker comp requirements in the welfare reform. That is Newt Gingrich. I think you need an appealing candidate. But conservative positions are appealing and the more conservative a candidate is, you know the better off you are, which is why I support Mitt Romney.’”

***

“GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said today that watching John F. Kennedy’s speech to the Baptist ministers in Houston in 1960 made him want to ‘throw up.’

“‘To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes you throw up. What kind of country do we live that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case?’ Santorum said…

‘I don’t believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute. The idea that the church can have no influence or no involvement in the operation of the state is absolutely antithetical to the objectives and vision of our country,’ said Santorum. ‘This is the First Amendment. The First Amendment says the free exercise of religion. That means bringing everybody, people of faith and no faith, into the public square. Kennedy for the first time articulated the vision saying, no, ‘faith is not allowed in the public square. I will keep it separate.’ Go on and read the speech ‘I will have nothing to do with faith. I won’t consult with people of faith.’ It was an absolutist doctrine that was foreign at the time of 1960,’ he said.”

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM

thanks. but Night Owl is more of a hoot. there really is a person named Night Owl. (:

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

The GOP will make gray you.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on February 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Did you vote for Bush?

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

No linky to a video???

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Well hell, if it’s a Skynyrd vid you want…

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Swiped this from Ace’s FB page(totally OT):Stolen from elsewhere…..
Smug Ecofreak: “What kind of car would Jesus drive?
Dennis Leary Type: Gee, I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure since he has 12 really close friends that go everywhere with him, a Prius isn’t going to be his first choice. How about a big Chevy Suburban? Judas can sit in the middle.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

look what that Dire guy started. he has out Bishoped Bishop.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

troyriser_gopftw on February 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Nah, I am sure that Newt dropped that line of attack a long time ago. Obama, not so much.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

The GOP will prepay you.

Appropriate for all the troll sightings this week.

BakerAllie on February 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

The GOP will make gray you.

onlineanalyst on February 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My teenager beat them to it…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Paul is of the Austrian School, which is the only truly free-market oriented school of economics.

cavalier973 on February 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Hence his classic quote “We are all Austrians now.”

29Victor on February 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on February 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Did you vote for Bush?

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I go all the way for Bush. Yes yes yes!!!

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on February 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

look what that Dire guy started. he has out Bishoped Bishop.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Yeah, and now where is he? *Typical Dire. Start a fracas then dive out the side door.*

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Well hell, if it’s a Skynyrd vid you want…

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

D@mn Yeah…!!!!!

My feet are a tappin”’

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

This may have already been pointed out, but Ron Paul is not a “sound monetarist”; “Monetarists” are students of the “Chicago School” of economics, which purports to be free-market based, but which embrace gov’t intervention at “macro” levels of the economy.

cavalier973 on February 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

More accurately, Paul belongs to the Rothbardian wing of the Austrian school, which, with regards to currency and money creation, purports to be free-market based but embraces government intervention at the macro level by imposing a metallic standard and outlawing fractional reserve banking and fiduciary money.

joana on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

My fav tune by those lads.

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

JIM RUTENBERG and JEFF ZELENY
NYT concerned about the R’s damaging their chances. What does this tell us? Rmoney has slipped, get down here in the South he just may slip and fall. My Super Tuesday vote will count this year. It ain’t going to Rmoney. Don’t like the cut of his jib. Couldn’t make it on his record and is willing to harm the R partys other candidates to get there, so the times is reporting.
Conrad Black
Makes some pretty obvious points about the media narrative. Did he forget Dewey? Or have I implanted a memory? This statement, ” Lyndon Johnson, Robert Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, Nelson Rockefeller, Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan were all running for president, and all of them were more impressive than the present contestants. ” is utterly ridiculous. Sure they are bad candidates. Especially in a year with the worst ever President. But none better then the pack he sites. Hardly.
ALEXANDER BURNS
Though LePage and many in the Party either fear or wish for this scenario. My thinking is that the average voter will not hope for this. They just want 0 gone and are content to think one of the four still standing can do it. I get a sense the despair is turning to optimism about unseating this failure of a President and are less interested in who does it as long as it is done.
NATE SILVER
Basically asserts that it could very well be anyones nom. The interesting part for me where the polls off to the right hand side of the article. I’m not that sure that Newt does as well as those polls project in Ga.
Lee Siegel
Well he has one thing correct Rmoney is no favorite of the Tea Party Conservatives, heII I’m not sure he is a friend to Conservatives in general. I will take Siegel to task for letting his own idiotic partisanship that it is the right who are radicals. The radicals in the election this year as last are the leftist currently occupying the White House. Now that group is truly radical. Rmoney folk read this and absorb it. Even though it is from a bedwetter lib. “That Romney thinks of conservatism as a disease would never occur to most conservatives.” Nah, it never occurred to us.
John Heilemann
This is the funniest take of them all. And the author is seriously deluded if he thinks I will bother to read that drivel. I guess this is why Allah you just used the quoted part. Tell me you didn’t read that entire piece. The Lost Party indeed. We shall see which is the lost party here directly.
Video 1 So Christie Says Cain, Bachman Perry were all frontrunners and look where they are now, gone. Say wasn’t Mitt Rmoney a frontrunner? If Mitt whens and asked me to be VP I’d listen, listen why? If your going to be the Governor why waist his time. Playing it a bit like Dr, Paul are we?
Video 2 The used to be Conservative. What are we to think you are now? Annie lost your guns, Annie is growing weary and have second thoughts about suffering fools gladly? Whoops I spoke to soon. Apparently we need the middle, not so much the right. Good luck with that.
Video 3 Agree or disagree with the way Rick comports himself, he ain’t walking it back. He is clarifying without compromise. Something to seldom seen by politicians. David pulls a Newt, doesn’t that say to everyone he fears the narrative isn’t going to stick. At least not stick in the negative way he hopes. That was a very angry way to address any candidate. Remind me was his bedside manner the same with 0?

The GOP is finding itself in a very pubic way. Funny thing I noticed over the weekend. The only ones paying attention so far are us political wonk types. Average folks are pissed about fuel prices, food prices, healthcare, unemployment and other day to day concerns in their own lives. And guess who they blame?

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Sorry I had to be away for awhile..I’m back..Boy what have I started??..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My fav tune by those lads.

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I haven’t heard this version….
Like it..

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Sorry I had to be away for awhile..I’m back..Boy what have I started??..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

There you are! We needja! Chairs are startin’ to fly!

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

The GOP will JFK you?
Not to early I hope/

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I’m kinda likin’ this…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

No linky to a video???

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Well hell, if it’s a Skynyrd vid you want…

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM

This one.

troyriser_gopftw on February 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

What, no thread on Obama creating an “african americans for Obama” effort and asking AAs to be congregational captains and get the AAs to all vote for Obama?

Is he running this scared, in spite of the 4 stooges?

karenhasfreedom on February 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

The GOP will Palin you
what they did to my lady Sarah was inconceivable

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

No matter what they all say about her here, and what they have said about her in the past…When I was on vacation…I had time to go over all those emails that were released (that the MSM wanted help with finding dirt)…while she was in office…that woman has me for the rest of her life! Palin/Anti-Palin…I don’t care! She’s a good woman!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I haven’t heard this version….
Like it..

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Great tune..Yhis is my favorite by them..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I’m kinda likin’ this…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I am kinda watching that…
Waiting for Indiana Jones to come to the rescue…
Not goin’ to happen…huh?

Still watching though….

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Sorry I had to be away for awhile..I’m back..Boy what have I started??..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I toldja. Page 2 would do it. Now its gone viral. (:

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Romney up by 4 in MI, 16 in Arizona

joana on February 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

For the sake of repeating myself, my 11:33 post: Paraphrasing Lynyrd Skynyrd.

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

cool beans. me too.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

I toldja. Page 2 would do it. Now its gone viral. (:

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

The GOP will Dire Straits you.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Is he running this scared, in spite of the 4 stooges?

karenhasfreedom on February 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Even if Obama loses, the DNC has to make sure that blacks continue to see the GOP as the enemy and America as racist. Therefore, they have to continue to create false conflicts between the two parties.

29Victor on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I love Lynrd Skynard. I turned my teenage son onto them a few years ago. He’s a bass player, both guitar and orchestral. He hasn’t been the same boy since.

troyriser_gopftw on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Started on first page.

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

You missed it…

… They had two posts.

Here is the first one…

… and here is the second.

Enjoy…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Beautiful, just beautiful, right into the gilled bigots beak. ; )

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

KOOLAIDS
I say this alot to you
+ 10000000
I guess great minds think alike. :-)

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

This one.

troyriser_gopftw on February 26, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Yeah!!!

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

A little North Texas outlaw music…

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Santorum just can’t resist sticking his hand further into it. There are still a lot of people in this country who revere Kennedy’s memory, especially Catholics. Personally, I think Kennedy did an overall lousy job and his legacy is mostly sympathy for his untimely death, but you’re not reaching out with talk like that.

And all it can do is energize evangelicals in the GOP primary race, which might help Rick, but at the cost of turning off major segments of the swing voters and most of the younger voters for the general election if he did win the nomination.

These are not the issues of this campaign. The ONLY way to fiscal sanity involves some pretty tough cuts in spending, including federal employees, and we’ll need to make that case, NOT try to make the election about contraception and gay marriage.

Adjoran on February 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

When Lynyrd Skynyrd was a young boy his dream was to be just like Pink Floyd.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Great tune..This is my favorite by them..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Lynard Skynard music will do that..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Dude! That was good! (Romney had a warm reception from the Tea Party in my backyard)
Meanwhile…they started music and I was going to run by the other threads screaming for you! …..starting the music without Bmore!
What nerve!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

The

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM

GOP

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM

will

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

betray

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

you..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Dire, you manage that in Bishop style first five, I give you a brand spanking new $100.00 bill.

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

A little North Texas outlaw music…

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Ok….
I may have heard this in an Austin Pub back in the day……

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

LoLz..Sure looks like it..:)

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Started on first page.

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

That’s why the guy should get a raise. He goes beyond what we ask for.

The GOP will Dire Straits you.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

lol. only hotairlings will know what this means. and that’s a good thing. what happens on botair stays on botair.

opps i meant hotair. so many bots. (:

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

When Lynyrd Skynyrd was a young boy his dream was to be just like Pink Floyd.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Yeah, but who did he like best? Pink? Or Floyd?

predator on February 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Sorry to be late, I had to come down from the Mountain. ; ) You know if I didn’t know better I’d think some of them Rmoney folk are starting not to like me. My loss./

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Caf-o-leit you
Straight-or-Ghey you
Etagere you
Hair turn gray you
Frikkin-A you

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

For the sake of repeating myself, my 11:33 post: Paraphrasing Lynyrd Skynyrd.

John the Libertarian on February 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

That is a very good tune John..Definitely in my top 3 of Lynard Skynard tunes..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

alt: I’m partial to “All That Jazz”

In fact, I even put together a rather clever (if I do say so myself) Power Point presentation with its music as background.

onlineanalyst on February 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dire Straits on February 26, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

jeepers. you sure set the bar high. it would be easier house train Michelle O. than to pull that off.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The GOP will Dire Straits you.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Bmore
Bag any of them black bears you were hunting?

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

this thread is jumpin. and no trollbots like ‘pink’ to drag it down.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Ok….
I may have heard this in an Austin Pub back in the day……

Electrongod on February 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM

First heard it back in my drivin’ days. Runnin’ hard at night, trying to make a deadline for a pickup. Full of black beauties and coffee. Had this turned up with petal to the metal.

Little Buddy, the wonder dog, at my side sittin’ on the console lookin’ up at me as if to say, WTF, dad?

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Bmore on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Okay guys, I missed work on Sunday because i was sick.
Probably need some sleep.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Bmore
Bag any of them black bears you were hunting?

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I thought it was brown beaver season. (:

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Okay guys, I missed work on Sunday because i was sick.
Probably need some sleep.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Get better, alt!

John the Libertarian on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 26, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Sgt. Vulcha lays down covering fire!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Night
ALT
right behind ya, well not literally. ;-)

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Okay guys, I missed work on Sunday because i was sick.
Probably need some sleep.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Get better twerp. We needs ya!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Signing out…

Catch ya on the flip side…

Electrongod on February 27, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Sparkplug
I think it should be Dr tesla season!!!!¡

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Romney and his cohorts have spent a boatload of dough $$$ sinking his opponent, Santorum. In Michigan, and nationally.
Is there ever a time to say enough is enough? Stick up for the underdog. Santorum!

anotherJoe on February 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

And we can’t forget this one…!

John the Libertarian on February 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

joana on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I’m not sure if he would use the government to “impose” a metallic standard. I could be wrong, though.

MeatHeadinCA on February 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM

LoLz.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I’m out to ppl’s
I’ll be back at around 3. Gettin old is hell!

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:02 AM

I now see what you started on this thread. Good Man; ) How about this one?
The GOP does not crave you.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Sgt. Vulcha lays down covering fire!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Confident the troops running past me are safe because Predator lies prone on Hill #7.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

*checking wind speed and direction; checking elevation and distance. Send it!*

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Thanks.

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Bmore
Bag any of them black bears you were hunting?

angrymike on February 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM

I walked up and down the mountain to the west of me, saw where they had been foraging a bit, standard stuff yellow jacket nest’s dug up, peeled bark off downed trees and such but no den. Did happen up on one of my friends Bobby bob cat. Can’t decide whether to take him or not. I like him, he cute, but my wife has a cat and it will kill him. The wifes cat that is. He has already gone after him once. Came right up to the french doors looking for him. I’m not sure if Bobby wants to eat him or do him. ; )

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

John the Libertarian on February 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

That is another great one..It is hard to choose favorites..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

he=he’s

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Dire Straits on February 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

HotAir peeps sure are a crazy bunch. (:

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Friend of mine in Connecticut had to pull all his humming bird feeders up because the black bears found them…inviting.

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

The GOP will cirque de soleil you

Kataklysmic on February 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Although Romney doesn’t much excite much enthusiasm among conservatives, he has several advantages that have kept him viable with a plurality of Republican voters. His family life is untouched by major scandal, which matters to those who see a connection between private fidelity and public trustworthiness. He is a deeply religious man, but has avoid mixing his preaching and his politics. He is well educated with degrees in business and law, earned on his own merits without help from Affirmative Action. He has done outstandingly well as a business manager and understands the difference between breaking even and running at a perpetual loss, which matters to those who worry about the state of the nation’s finances. He also has experience with the executive branch of government as the governor of Massachussets, and governed a decidedly liberal state as conservatively as he could. As both a businessman and a governor, he has firsthand knowledge of the increasingly oppressive regulatory burden faced by businessmen and ordinary citizens. His campaign is well-funded and well organized, (especially compared those of some of his rivals) and he has been building alliances within the Republican party. He has faced entrenched interests, hostile press, and attacks from both the right and the left; and he has proven resilient in the face of defeats and setbacks. He isn’t such a ‘nice guy’ that he won’t hit hard at an opponents’s political weaknesses, as both Gingrich and Santurum have found and are finding.

While his opponents seem to be fond of chanting “Four legs good!, two legs bad!” Rom-ney-care! Rom-ney-care! the fact that he opposes the oppressive, intrusive federal monster it was transmogrified into doesn’t seem to carry the weight it should. I also believe his reputation for “flip-flops” is greatly exaggerated.

Gingrich may talk a good conservative talk, but overall, his record is one of instability and unreliability. His career has been as a legislator, not an executive. He has betrayed and disappointed too many people. Some of his populist proposals are completely unrealistic, and with his legislative experience, he either knows it or ought to.

Santorum has less baggage than Gingrich, but he also has a purely legislative career that is not so conservative as his rhetoric. I don’t doubt that he is a decant man, but as a presidential candidate, his fundraising and campaign management don’t recommend him highly. His overt religiosity is proving at least as much a handicap as an asset. His latest wild pitches at Romney are borderline irrational. His latest surge in the polls seems to be fading. If Michigan and Arizona go for Romney, Santorum’s latest surge will fizzle and he’ll be out of gas.

Paul also has a populist appeal, but enough of his proposals seem to be out of touch with reality that he’s not getting traction.

In spite of his political incorrectness (Conservative Version), I believe that Romney is the best prepared and best qualified of all the Republican candidates to be President, and those who are already predicting an electoral defeat by Obama underestimate him.

Confutus on February 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

HotAir peeps sure are a crazy bunch. (:

SparkPlug on February 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Wouldn’t have it any other way!

Humble Pie for desert, anyone?

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Yep. I like em okay. Don’t eat em, they are okay for jerky and thats about it. Don’t need the hides, so for now I’m content just trying to see why they have decided on my place. They may just be passers by. I aim to keep it that way. I don’t do as much killing since the Ingles is just up the road.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM

well, Conrad Black gets what no R does

It is astonishingly belligerent and politically risky to launch such an attack on the nation’s largest church at the publicly proclaimed behest of the most strident feticidal organizations in the country. There was no practical reason for it; it is naked aggression against the religious sector of American life, a big transformative gamble.

r keller on February 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Lol Wait-wait, sir! I’m just an M60 Machine Gunner ignoring SOP while waiting for the Battalion Commander’s orders to trickle down to the Company Commander for my squad to finally come un-flippin-stuck!! Sorry. You’re goin it alone. Still…

YOU, Predator… are da bomb.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

joana on February 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM

In his books he agrees with Rothbard that fractional reserve banking is fraudulent. It’s a free-banking system…as long as banks don’t use token money.

joana on February 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yep. My friends out east just didn’t like them coming up on the porch, etc. and getting into the feeders. Other than that, they like the fact that they are out there and doing well. They still see tracks from an occasional visitor, but nothing like before they took the feeders down.

Never ate any of it. I’m not even much of a fan of venison, so I doubt I’d care for it if I tried it. I once held a very young cub many years ago. It had just been weaned. If you made a fist and stuck your thumb out, it would try to suckle on it. Cute little bugger.

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

here’s the secret…barry knows he’s going to win…and this time he’s goin’ big

you see, all the bumkins from the R party are basically validating barry’s thesis…and when he wins…his PLATFORM will be ratified…he will hav political Capital

I just hope we can retain the House…its going to be a bumby ride…and if we lose the House Pelosi/Harry/Barry will be the team from hell

r keller on February 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM

The GOP will cirque de soleil you

Kataklysmic on February 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Oooh. I am both humbled at your contribution’s awesomeness…and mortified to have actual Cirque tickets. Congratulations!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM

YOU, Predator… are da bomb.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on February 27, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I am honored, m’lady Sgt. Vulcha.

And you are a patriot and a true servant to the nation. Thank you for that. *hat tip*

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Dire Straits

QOTD song.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM

LOL! Even with the mostly harmless black bear, you still don’t get between mother and cub. ; )

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Dire Straits

QOTD song.

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Yeeeessss!

*double thumbs up*

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM

The GOP will say..day…kay… nope, can’t think of anything.

BoxHead1 on February 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Bmore on February 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Oh yeah! Don’t I know that!

predator on February 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM