PETA: People Exterminating Thousands of Animals

posted at 10:15 am on February 26, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Regular readers know that I’ve had a long standing beef with PETA. (Pun fully intended.) This is an organization which has taken the noble, worthy cause of helping out animals in distress and turned it into a misguided and frequently dangerous cult, frequently doing more to harm legitimate animal care initiatives than to help any four legged friends in need. But the story uncovered by the Daily Caller this week really puts things in perspective. It turns out that in the few cases where PETA operates actual shelters, they have one of the worst records in the country in terms of killing off animals rather than putting in the effort to care for them and find them homes.

Documents published online this month show that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an organization known for its uncompromising animal-rights positions, killed more than 95 percent of the pets in its care in 2011.

The documents, obtained from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, were published online by the Center for Consumer Freedom, a non-profit organization that runs online campaigns targeting groups that antagonize food producers.

Fifteen years’ worth of similar records show that since 1998 PETA has killed more than 27,000 animals at its headquarters in Norfolk, VA.

This is enough to make my blood boil. It’s not just the raw numbers, but their policy which indicates that 84% of the animals they take in are euthanized within 24 hours of arrival. Dr. Daniel Kovich, of the Virginia agriculture department, investigated PETA’s headquarters.

“The facility does not contain sufficient animal enclosures to routinely house the number of animals annually reported as taken into custody,” Kovich concluded in his report.

“[PETA’s] primary purpose,” Kovich wrote, “is not to find permanent adoptive homes for animals.”

PETA media liaison Jane Dollinger told The Daily Caller in an email that “most of the animals we take in are society’s rejects; aggressive, on death’s door, or somehow unadoptable.”

This is one of the most lame dodges ever for lazy, cruel treatment of lost animals. I have worked at and with a number of shelters over the years. (In fact, my wife and I originally met while volunteering at an animal shelter.) While it is sad, I understand that not every location can be a 100% “no-kill” shelter. All too often there simply isn’t enough space, money and supplies to manage that. But you always make the best effort possible to keep the animals as long as can be managed, to reunite them with their owner or, failing that, find them a new home. Many of these “unadoptable rejects” are simply older animals, or ones that are frightened and confused, finding themselves in a new, unfamiliar environment. Killing them off that fast is simply inexcusable.

PETA is one of the worst examples of a group which could have done something great, but chose instead to turn into a self-serving political, agenda driven organization which forgets their original mission. The report cites that PETA has an annual budget in excess of $27M. Imagine how much help could go to real animals in need if those powerful resources were applied to actually helping the animals. Instead, they film glitzy commercials, run national advertising campaigns and hire lobbyists. Rather than investing their time in feeding, vaccinating and adopting out helpless animals, they spend their time mounting domestic terror campaigns, throwing blood on people wearing leather coats and hiring lawyers to treat killer whales as slaves.

This is the same as environmental groups, some of whom started many years ago with the best of intentions, cleaning up roadside litter and planting trees. Then, years later, they are planting metal spikes in trees to injure loggers. PETA is a total failure and should be shunned by people who are truly interested in helping lost and injured pets.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is an organization which has taken the noble, worthy cause of helping out animals people in distress and turned it into a misguided and frequently dangerous cult, frequently doing more to harm legitimate animal humanitarian care initiatives than to help any four two legged friends in need.

With just a couple of changes, Jazz has characterized just about every liberal social group or legislation that ever darkened America’s doorstep. Why should liberals treat animals any differently than they treat human beings?

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

This isn’t news, it came out at least a couple of years ago that PETA kills all their animals.

It seems that nothing has changed during the intervening years.

Common Sense on February 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

By your reasoning here, the proper course to take would be to actually kill the irresponsible pet owners. What have the poor dogs and cats done to deserve getting killed?

You should look into the Tony La Russa Animal Rescue Foundation to see how it should be done. They have an incredible rate of adoption of unadoptable animals. The correct focus of Jazz’s article is that PETA are the ones who are evil or lazy or misguided. They are all of those, and they prove it every day, just like every other liberal politically motivated “assistance” organization around.

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

People Executing Thousands of Animals.

clayj on February 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

OK, that’ll teach me to NOT read the headline before posting.

clayj on February 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM

In their efforts to protect horses from becoming dog food, PETA has created other problems in our area. When our horse died from colic, we had to find someone (quickly) to haul the carcass to a rendering facility about 150 miles away, since PETA had successfully closed a local plant several years ago. What does one do with the carcass of an animal that had been cared for and loved by my wife and three daughters? We loved the horse, but we couldn’t exactly bury it in the garden.

Pazman on February 26, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Shut. Them. Down.

Kenosha Kid on February 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

===========================================================

Is PETA not the equivalent of ObamaCare?

===============================================================

how contrasting is this with the Statue of Liberty, symbol of liberty, “Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free”?

huntingmoose on February 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That’s what I was thinking while reading the article.

Night Owl on February 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM

So, a group that says they are all about one thing but they’re really about the exact opposite. Oh, you’re taking about PETA, I thought you were talking about Planned Parenthood.

yongoro on February 26, 2012 at 4:56 PM

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Another great organization is Best Friends Animal Society here in Utah. http://www.bestfriends.org They took in many of Michael Vick’s dogs. They rehabilitated and adopted out quite a few and have committed to permanently caring for the unadoptable.

They are one of the many commendable “Anti-PeTA’s” that we should be talking about.

LL

Lady Logician on February 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I have one of those “rejects”. My sweet Jack (Capt. Jack a Miniature Australian Shepherd) has a major case of fear aggression. When we got him he would bark and “snap” at strange people and dogs. It has taken 4 yours of hard work, socialization and training to get him to where he actually goes up to new people (although he still has a hard time with new people petting him on the head) and he does not instantly try to scare off any dog that “invades” his space.

PeTA thinks that their way is more “ethical” than mine.

LL

Lady Logician on February 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

PeTA thinks that their way is more “ethical” than mine.

LL

Lady Logician on February 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM

+100 bonus points for proper use of the word “their” as opposed to “there.” ;-)

gryphon202 on February 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Just another liberal operation of death.

AH_C on February 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Lunatics.

Just goes to show what an Orwellian name for your organizatio can do to fool the simpletons.

KMC1 on February 26, 2012 at 6:57 PM

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

What the (expletive) did I say to lead you to THAT conclusion?
I am NOT advocating the ‘death penalty’ for irresponsible pet owners. But pet owners who drive out in the back-country, open the car door, and kick the pet out, then drive off should be liable to be charged with animal cruelty.
Your contention that unwanted dogs and cats don’t deserve death because “they didn’t do anything to deserve it” is invalid.
That argument only works for PEOPLE. Animals are, in reallity, “property” just like pre-Civil War slave owners use to refer to their slaves. But it was WRONG for slave owners to treat slaves that way, because their slaves were PEOPLE.
Dogs and cats are not people/persons, and as such are worthy to be treated like property.

NOMOBO on February 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

After rereading Jazz’ post, I still come away with the ‘perception’ that the killing of those animals was believed to be as bad (or worse) than the blatant con-job and hypocrasy that PETA was perpetrating.

Perhaps another way to illustrate this: If someone or group were to honestly and openly solicit (as a buisness) to dispose of unwanted pets by killing them, and eventually taking the bodies to a land-fill, I believe most of you would still be “up in arms” over it, even though there’s no dishonesty or misrepresentation about what the ‘methodology of disposition’ is.

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM

PETA is a far left organization doing what it can to harm America. Nothing more.

Hard Right on February 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM

gryphon202 on February 26, 2012 at 6:25 PM

And I even went to government schools gryphon. Granted it was long before the self esteem movement started and those mean old teachers actually insisted that we learn our grammar…..

LL

Lady Logician on February 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Talk about cluelessness. Animal shelters and municipal animal control pounds do this all the damn time anyway. It’s not those shelters and pounds that we’re complaining about.

/Cluebat

gryphon202 on February 26, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Maybe now that guy who lost PETA.ORG to them can get it back?

unclesmrgol on February 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Now we know where PETA gets all their supposed ‘fake’ blood for their protests.
“Oh it’s more than just mild. You’re soaking in it.”

Coronagold on February 26, 2012 at 8:53 PM

RED MEAT BABY!!!

Meanwhile, PETA and PP… similarities abound!

Marcola on February 26, 2012 at 10:16 PM

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM

/Cluebat
gryphon202 on February 26, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Last time tonight (might pick it up again tomorrow):
The only crime here is FRAUD. PETA took contributions (was any of it from the Government?) under the ‘false pretense’ that it was for the housing, feeding, and care of homeless animals.
Instead, they killed the animals rather quickly upon delivery, and redirected the funds.
But there absolutely WAS an implication that the expedited killing of these animals, constituted “animal cruelty” or “inhumane treatment of animals”, and I reject THAT premise outright.
Unless you can prove:
1) - The animals were ill cared for before they were killed (starved, dehydrated, diseased, etc)

2) - The method used in killing the animals caused prolonged pain and suffering before death.

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Proof that PETA is evil.

But such horrible proof indeed.

Sherman1864 on February 27, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Thank you so much for this post, Mr. Shaw!

Sherman1864 on February 27, 2012 at 4:26 AM

————-

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:57 PM

My father had the same view, he was raised on a farm, in the 30′s, to him, a dog was a tool to be used, and disgraded when no longer useful..

he was also a cold heartless bastard who didn’t shed a tear at his only daughter’s (my sister) death at 23 from bone cancer. I was 19.

To me, a dog is one of God’s true innocents, they are our friends, companions, defenders to their dying breath, thankful for the smallest favor, or tinyest attention. They love with their whole being, and they never betray or dishonor, they don’t care wether you are the best man who ever lived or the lesat.. to them, you are their entire purpose, they shield and guard your children from harm, and would sacrifice themselves in the doing.

God’s best gift to mankind, friend, best friend.

I would risk my life to protect my dog, as quickly as to defend my children. Because the bond of love loyalty and devotion is more binding than any prejudice about species here, it’s also the height of betrayal, to accept all those things best in them, and then treat them as mere property to be detroyed because you can’t be bothered to feed them, or even make a friggin phone call or three.

You don’t betray friendship and love,

you don’t throw away a life, because it isn’t human. God gave us this gift, it’s not inside me to make them less than what they are..

family.

He shares our lives, he gives love back, he when his time comes, will be as mourned as any family is, as his God Mother Josie was, I cried with my children and wife when she passed, her Jack Russel heart so tired. The pup who came to us a year and a half later, is no less family. No less loved.

They may be legally property, but they aren’t, not really. Not in all the parts that matter.

I’m not alone in this,.. and for that, I make NO apology.

mark81150 on February 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I have as much regard for PETA as I have for Obama (don’t strain yourself – that’s zero, zilch, nada). They have the same philosophy; any means to their ends. It pains me greatly that my own mother supports them both and nothing that I tell her will change that. So be it.
If you really want to support a “good” cause, support your local no-kill shelter or Pet Refuge. Even a 5-lb. bag of dog or cat food is appreciated and you’d be surprised how much better your heart will feel. We adopted our sweet “puppy-girl” (husky/aussie mix) from them three years ago and she is, despite her propensity to dig in our back yard, a constant source of joy and unconditional love. You can reduce this relationship to human psychology and pack dynamics, but you cannot convince me that there isn’t a divine spark in there somewhere. Man may have created dog, but it wasn’t just happenstance.

swinia sutki on February 27, 2012 at 6:45 AM

In Rodney Dangerfield voice:

“Now, lemme tellya, lemme tellya… Speaking of PETA. I plan to go clubbing tonight, anyone else interested? Yea, well ha ha, we’re heading off to Alaska to see about some baby seals”.

Ba dum.

I’ll be here all week.

dthorny on February 27, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I’m not alone in this,.. and for that, I make NO apology.
mark81150 on February 27, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Sorry for the lateness of this reply; had to work today and just got home.
I know you’re not alone in this.
That’s why I started my first post on this thread with the following:

(Here’s my chance for the “most hated poster at Hotair.com” award)
listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

And here’s the rest of that first post:

So, there is a sizable number legitimate, potential pet owners out there, yearning for a pet, and being denied the opportunity for ‘pet’ companionship, because of this?
I don’t buy that, Jazz.
What constitutes “cruel treatment of lost animals?”
Heck, what constitutes a lost animal?
If a dog or cat is found “free roaming”, with no collar, or ID tags, I would insist that animal is not ‘lost’; It’s ‘discarded’.
And the blame for “lazy, and cruel treatment of lost discarded animals pets” belongs squarely in the laps of the former pet owners.
If PETA is misappropriating funds under the false pretense that they’re using it to feed and house animals, when in reality they’re NOT . . . that’s a whole other issue. And one which carries the possibility of having legal charges filed against it.
But as long as they are killing (YES, I said KILLING) the animals in a quick and painless manner, I defy anyone to point out the cruelty to the animals.
But the fact that PETA is raking in money under the false pretense of taking care of animals, and diverting it to (most likely) other Liberal/Communist causes, IS a matter to be looked into.
I have a family member who is also heavily involved in animal rescue, and this debate (argument, actually) NEVER ENDS.
The “higher intelligence” that is inherent in domestic/pet dogs and cats does NOT make them “people too.”

listens2glenn on February 26, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Neither one of us is going to change the other’s mind, on this.

Once I read Jazz’ original post, I knew I was going to respond the way I did.
I also just knew my response was going to cause a “firestorm-like back-lash.”
Well, I was a little bit wrong on the ‘back-lash’.

But, ultimately my point is that Dogs (and cats) cannot be allowed to be defined (in the legal, Court Of Law sense) as a higher life form above other animal types. Doing so WILL lead to the defining of ALL animal killing as “cruelty to animals”. And who knows, maybe it will be eventually called ‘murder’.
That is something I’m not willing to accept, without a fight.

listens2glenn on February 27, 2012 at 7:31 PM