Awww… newly adopted cat saves owner’s life

posted at 2:00 pm on February 25, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Time for your weekend break from politics. Most of us are, by now, familiar with the idea of “seizure dogs” and “therapy dogs” who assist owners with special medical needs. But a seizure cat? Keep this in mind if you’re ever considering rescuing a feline from the local shelter. From Wisconsin.

Amy Jung and her son, Ethan Jung, originally went to the Door County Humane Society on Feb. 8 to play with the cats, not to bring one home. Then Jung, 36, saw Pudding lying on a counter. She made a quick decision to adopt Pudding and his pal Wimsy.

At around 9:30 p.m., she went to bed and about 1½ hours later, the prodigious kitty came to her rescue.

Jung, who was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 4, started to have a seizure. According to Jung, Pudding planted his weight on her chest and, when he could not wake her, began swatting her face and biting her nose.

“Anything he could to pull me out of it (the seizure),” she said.

Unfortunately, just waking up wasn’t enough. The woman couldn’t make it out of bed or awaken her son Ethan to help her by yelling. So the cat rushed into Ethan’s room, jumped on his head and woke him up. They called for medical help and the woman was saved. (One sad note for Ethan… the cat weighs 22 pounds, which would probably wake up anyone.)

This isn’t the first time this has happened, though. The video below relays the story of another cat who saved a different woman who was having a heart attack.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

You may now resume your regularly scheduled discussion of whether dogs or cats are better. Personally, I have both.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Liking these pet threads on a political blog.

My doberman killed a friend’s pit-bull during a cook-out. The pit-bull would not let her be so she ripped it’s throat out.

It was awkward to put it mildly.

CorporatePiggy on February 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The kitty looks just like my Goldie who passed today,age 17,apparently metastatic breast cancer. She liked to follow me around the yard and meow for me to rub her the last couple of years til she became ill.

smit on February 26, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I love cats and enjoy the story – but it’s obviously made up.

InVinoVeritas on February 26, 2012 at 2:14 AM

My adopted cat never did anything buy shed unGodly amounts of hair and break the Guinness World Record for being gigantic…I loved that effin cat :-)

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 4:51 AM

DHChron
Hey you still here?

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 4:54 AM

Jazz, I used to say you’re the worst writer on the site, cause you’re a squishy squish master. Then I thought – so am I (they writing ain’t so bad, and he’s not in the tank for the San Man) so now you’re the second best. Here’s your trophy :) some back door brownies, baked fresh and fed exed overnight pal.

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM

yeah, I’m here angry to the mike

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 4:57 AM

DHChron
What the hell you doing up, your central time right? Anyway hows Texas?

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM

I’ve had a cold :( took four benedryls at 8:00 and was out like a light. Now I’m sucking down coffee and there’s no one to talk to or make angry! :)

Texas is as always the shiznittle…what up in Ohio, other than the stinkin’ buckeyes

WE ARE PENN STATE!

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Lol
gettin waisted on benedryls, dang I thought you were younger than me. Got a 2 stage trigger for the toy, it came with a broken disconnecter. I call and asked if they intend to put me in prison for sending full a parts, new disconnecter on the way. I was pissed, ar’s stock trig pull is like 3.5-4 pounds. New trig pull is 2, can’t wait till it gets here.

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 5:14 AM

hahaha mike…I’m 30 (the new 20), but my partying days have replaced heroin with Tylenol PM.

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 5:19 AM

30, your a babe, I got ya by 16 yrs. I wish I was smart enough to stop at 30, I waited till 40,and am paying dearly.

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 5:22 AM

We got hit with ‘lake effect snow’ the last couple days. It sucks, but overall a weak winter.

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 5:24 AM

be happy you never got locked up…that’s truly paying dearly. Ever slept on a mattress filled with fluffy goodness…with a d@mn pea underneath!

no, seriously, there aren’t many cons my age…it’s hard to make friends without getting my face rearanged. Good thing I know Ty Kwon Don’t.

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Go over to QOTD thread. I meet ya there.

angrymike on February 26, 2012 at 5:29 AM

believe it or not, Texas got snow last week! Then I woke up and it was sixty degrees and the snow man I didn’t build was gone.

DHChron on February 26, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Lucky for them PETA didn’t get a hold of kitty first.

8thAirForce on February 26, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I was sent a cartoon once of a cat and dog sitting outside together with the dog on a leash and the cat without one. The cartoon has the dog saying “they don’t keep you on a leash because they WANT you to run away.” Dogs will always be better :)

TheAudacityofNOPE on February 26, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Some of you may have already seen this, but I remember getting this in my email a long while ago. Enjoy!

Diary of a Dog – Diary of a Cat
EXCERPTS FROM A DOG’S DIARY

Day number 180
8:00 am – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am – OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am – OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am – OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon – OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm – OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm – OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM – OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 181
8:00 am – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am – OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am – OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am – OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon – OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 pm – OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
4:00 pm – OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM – OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Day number 182
8:00 am – OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am – OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am – OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!

EXCERPTS FROM A CAT’S DIARY

DAY 752 – My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another houseplant.

DAY 761 – Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair … must try this on their bed.

DAY 765 – Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was…Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 768 – I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called “shampoo.” What sick minds could invent such a liquid. My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 771 – There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the foul odor of the glass tubes they call “beer”. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of “allergies.” Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 – I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time…

PatriotGal2257 on February 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Just remembered this now and it was something that I got via Facebook. Even though it’s past Christmas, it’s still funny as hell. The cat’s “comments” are a hoot.

Save these instructions for next year. :)
How to Wrap a Cat for Christmas.

PatriotGal2257 on February 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Time for your weekend break from politics.

Thanks Jazz! For the much needed break from #politics! I adopted a pair of 8 week old kittens from the local shelter a couple of years ago prior to having a major surgery…..There is no doubt watching those little fur balls’ antics & playing with them promoted healing & sped my recovery time. Was walking without any aid & off pain pills within 3 weeks following total hip replacement- Docs were amazed! They loved tormenting their big brother (100# 10yr old neuffy/akita mix dog) Often wonder how many other rescue stories are missed because the owners didn’t pick up on the pets’ cues……

huskerdiva on February 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

That is priceless!

huskerdiva on February 26, 2012 at 4:34 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Actually, both are good but the how to wrap a cat 4 Christmas is one of my all time faves!

huskerdiva on February 26, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Badger40 on February 25, 2012 at 2:03 PM

WE have 2 cats, a akita/neuffy mis dog & a horse– tho don’t own a cow, but do love to eat steak – does that count??? I agree with your assessment :-)

huskerdiva on February 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Have to say I’m a cat person.

I like to take mini-vacations for a weekend and spend 2-3 days away from home with minimal preparation a couple times a year.

A dog would either have to go with (which often doesn’t work), or need a sitter to check on him 4-5 times a day, or be kenneled.

A cat? Check that food & water are full (I go with 1 bowl of each in 2 different rooms so they don’t foul/spill/spoil one) and clean the litterbox, and you’re good for 3-4 days without worry.

And when you’re home? A cat doesn’t require me to go outside, in the rain/sleet/hail for “walkies” to use the bathroom. And I work for 8 hours, leaving a cat alone for 8 hours is naptime. leaving a dog alone for 8 hours is torture.

Dogs are more social creatures; but that means they require more time, attention, and care.

I can understand a preference for dogs, but you need a situation where you can really put in the extra time.

gekkobear on February 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM