Texas to administration: Never mind your threats, we’re cutting Medicaid to abortion providers

posted at 7:38 pm on February 24, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At CPAC, Texas Gov. Rick Perry quipped, “I haven’t left the fight; I just went home, reloaded my Mag and am fighting on a different front.” Clearly, he wasn’t kidding. Texas today cut Medicaid funding to abortion providers — even though the administration threatened to cut the state’s funding if it did so. The Daily Caller reports:

On Thursday, Texas Health and Human Services Commissioner Thomas Suehs signed a rule at the behest of lawmakers and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott that will formally ban Planned Parenthood affiliates and other abortion providers from participating in Texas’ Women’s Health Program.

The administration had threatened to revoke federal funding from the state-federal Medicaid program if Texas went through with the ban.

“The Obama administration is trying to force Texas to violate our own state laws or they will end a program that provides preventative health care to more than 100,000 Texas women,” said Allison Castle, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry told The Texas Tribune. “This boils down to the rule of law — which the state of Texas respects and the Obama administration does not.”

The ball is back in the administration’s court now: Does Obama want to actually cut funding and potentially jeopardize the Texas Women’s Health program, which might not be able to survive without federal funding? That sends the message that Obama cares less that women have access to health care than that they receive health care from certain providers — namely, providers that also offer abortions.

Either Rick Perry just called Obama’s bluff or this is about to be an interesting issue. Planned Parenthood has already retorted with its typical demagoguery: “No one’s politics should interfere with a woman’s access to health care,” Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast President and CEO Peter J. Durkin said in a statement. “It is shameful that Governor Perry and Commissioner Suehs continue to politicize lifesaving breast cancer screenings and birth control access for low-income women.”

Would Planned Parenthood stand by that statement as it applies to President Obama, too? Surely other providers in the Texas Women’s Health Exchange provide breast cancer screenings and birth control access. Eliminating abortion providers from the exchange doesn’t jeopardize women’s health access — but eliminating the exchange altogether would. It’s obvious why Planned Parenthood would care more about which organization women turn to — they’ve got a business to run. Why don’t they just admit that and stop the rhetoric about “women’s health”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I miss Perry as candidate.

philoquin on February 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Give ‘em hell, Rick.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Perry 2012!!!

Keep it up Perry and they’ll be calling for you in Tampa.

AH_C on February 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Everybody knows Perry, and Texas, is too stupid to pull this off.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Rick Perry is a good man! (Just not a debater or teleprompter reader).

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Brokered convention with Perry for the win!!! :)

ThePrez on February 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I’ll see that and raise you….”why does an organization whose primary income stream comes from aborting fetuses call itself “Planned Parenthood”.

(Hint: same answer)

Tim_CA on February 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

I miss him something fierce.

The wrong Rick dropped out that’s for sure.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Call his bluff Perry. You have him in a corner, don’t let him squirm out.

nobar on February 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I like Perry! Give ‘em hell, Rick!

Urban Infidel on February 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM

BRAVO, Gov. Perry.

GrannyDee on February 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Call his bluff Rick…!!!

… and thanks for standing by Newt!!!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Cutting off state funding, like the Obama administration needs an excuse to punish red states.

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Perry for VP!

EddieC on February 24, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Stay right where your at Rick and fight Obama from the states!

GIVE ‘EM HELL RICK!

Scoreboard44 on February 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Breast cancer screening???

Don’t I vaguely remember Zero’s administration trying to cut back on that anyway????

WryTrvllr on February 24, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Either Rick Perry just called Obama’s bluff…

Don’t call my bluff!
–Obama

Mr. Prodigy on February 24, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Hear!..Hear!..Gov Perry!..:)

Dire Straits on February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Every time lately, when Obama speaks about how “America is back”, I think about just how stupid he sounds, in a Baghdad Bob kind of way. Nobody could ever sound as crazy, arrogant or condescending as this idiot. Of course, that was before this:

Everybody knows Perry, and Texas, is too stupid to pull this off.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hey coz, why don’t you come on down here and say that.

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

God bless Texas!

BobScuba on February 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He’d make a FAR better president than any candidate for the last 50 years or MORE, that includes Reagan.

Kermit on February 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

A President Perry would have destroyed the whole Bush-Clinton-Obama power scheme in Washington.

ZGMF_Freedom on February 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Rick Perry may not consistently speak well, but his actions speak louder than most GOP politicians’ talk. Love this guy.

jazz_piano on February 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Hey coz, why don’t you come on down here and say that.

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Any time any day. Just let me put my boots on before wading through the septic tank that is Texas.

We would be better off if Obama kicked Texas out of the Union and have them take Oklahoma with them. Then fence the whole thing off to keep out illegals.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

That’s right, just when the so-cons got their asses handed to them, the gop in full retreat on social issues, and women around the country fired up….

good ol Rick pulls this stunt.

Obama for the win.

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

A great governor, Rick Perry, and a great attorney general, Greg Abbott. God has blessed Texas.

publiuspen on February 24, 2012 at 8:04 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

You and Bishop should have a contest.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

GOD BLESS RICK PERRY AND GOD BLESS TEXAS!

I SAID GOD TWICE….EAT IT!!!

GhoulAid on February 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The wrong Rick dropped out that’s for sure.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I think he is a fine man and seems to be a well liked governor. Unfortunately watching him during the debates was like “what the”?

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

This could hurt Santorum.

If Perry takes a stand and comes off as a “redneck” (no bad intent in my using the term) in the LSM, then Santorum’s contraception deal could linger on and get in the way of his other views.

Bet Santy’s not thrilled.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

… Perry, and Texas, is too stupid …

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Heh. Nitwit.

Jaibones on February 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You and Bishop should have a contest.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Don’t go wastin’ my mellow.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Heh. Nitwit.

Jaibones on February 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

As if you would know.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM

good ol Rick pulls this stunt.

Obama for the win.

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Did I miss an election???? Or did you mean a supreme court decision?

WryTrvllr on February 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Tall words, cozmo, and I’m sure that’s the extent of what you’ve got. I’m guessing by your name you’re living in an alternate universe. Certainly detached from reality. Good luck with all that.

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

God’s Will

Rusty Allen on February 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Perry 2012!!!

Keep it up Perry and they’ll be calling for you in Tampa.

AH_C on February 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Please ….. I miss Gov. Perry as a candidate …. watch my enthusiasm meter go through the roof …

conservative tarheel on February 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Kermit on February 24, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He’s a good guy Kermit but I think that is a bit of a stretch.

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

You must have only watched the first couple. By the end, it was the opinion of many that he won them outright.

But hey debates rock – they gave us the four left we have to choose from. Heaven forbid we consider an executive with several years experience, governing one of the largest economies in the world, creating jobs when the rest of the country is losing them. But hey he stumbled (I’ll admit badly) in a couple debates.

WOO HOO debates!

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I was at PP last week. Had breast exam pap smear cervical cancer screening. I cannot afford health insurance so that was the cheapest place I found. I could’ve gone to a free clinic in the not so safe part of town and wait 8 hrs to see a doctor. No body asked me to go fornicate so I can come back later for an abortion. What was disturbing to me was the metal detector and the arrogant protesters trying to shame me because I wanted to see a doctor of my own choosing. Texas ranks number one of the uninsured in this country. You buda cacas don’t give a damn. There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Of course, the proper conservative solution is to eliminate federal funding for the Texas Women’s Health Program entirely. If the Obama administration follows through on their threat, I hope Perry has the sense of humor, and the stones, to thank him.

No-one’s politics should guarantee it either. Besides, this isn’t about access at all. Breast cancer screenings and birth control will be available for anyone who can pay for it. And despite all the wailing, I suspect a lot of these “low-income women” can get all the birth control and screenings they want if they cancel HBO and quit the smokes. Priorities, priorities. As I’m sure Peter J. Durkin would agree, it really is all about choice.

Mr. Arkadin on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I wasn’t born in Texas…but I got here as fast as I could!

D@mn proud. Give em he!!, Rick!

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Now this makes me smile! Nice going Rick!

Hobbes on February 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, smooth talkers have been great for this country haven’t they? (Billy Jeff, Barry O)

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Tall words, cozmo…
av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Heh, that’s all Texans have. Well, that and the two things that come from Texas. There would be a third but, as Texan’s governor has shown, they can’t contemplate beyond two.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

good ol Rick pulls this stunt.

Obama for the win.

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

How big IS the free abortion voting contingent?

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hey coz, why don’t you come on down here and say that.

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

He’s already there. Austin via Berkeley. I kid,but he does live in TX or did.

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Obama knows he can do anything he wants, like ordering religious institutions to violate their religious beliefs, because there’s limited ways to stop him and because there’s few with the resources and courage to stop him. This comes under the theory that it’s better to apologize than to ask permission.

It’s good to see one of our guys adopt those same tactics. Perry is saying: “So, stop me.” However, it is sad that our president is so lawless that the only way to resist is to be equally as lawless. It brings to mind a critique of Prohibition: so many people skirted the law that it bred a general lack of respect for the law. But autocrats love a general disrespect for the law and the constitution. They can rationalize their own lawlessness.

casel21 on February 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

In case you’ve forgotten, he’s half white, and I don’t like that half either.

*btw–It’s Air Force One, but I wouldn’t expect you to know that*

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:16 PM

WOO HOO debates!

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM

some folks think we are electing a debater in chief … rather then a commander in chief …

Really liked gov. Perry ….

conservative tarheel on February 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

He’s already there. Austin via Berkeley. I kid,but he does live in TX or did.

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM

That explains a lot. And Austin? Well, the rest of the state would like to apologize about that…

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM

But they talk pretty and to some that’s all that matters.

I admit Perry shot himself in the foot with his debate performances but we haven’t had a candidate with that strong of a record in a long time and he dropped out before Ron Paul and Rick Santorum!

Seriously – I can’t even begin to comprehend it.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

doh

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

That’d be awful kind of him. And for him to put up a fence to help us keep Libtards out of Texas to boot? Man…where do we sign up?

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

well, I was hoping that the Rs would at least keep the House…but at this rate its not promising.

What surprises me is the widespread R coordination to become the SoCon party. And that’s fine…but it’ll only get max 45 percent of the vote.

r keller on February 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Really liked gov. Perry ….

conservative tarheel on February 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM

The funny thing is – Newt is the only real decent debater left.

I admit it – I am bitter at how this turned out.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Some of y’all noobs are less dense than others.

The rest could take a lesson. They didn’t catch on even after a Texan tried to help them out.

Bishing…figure it out.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

At this point, I’m starting to feel like let’s just do a Romney/Gingrich ticket and be done with it, and then kick 0bama’s butt from now until November. We’ve spent enough energy.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

It’s great you are budgeting in your health care in your limited income. That’s great personal responsibility.
Next time you might want to consider seeing a GYN or the NP in a GYN or OB/GYN practice, quite a few doctors will negotiate their rates & won’t charge you extra for the cervical cancer screening since you are already paying for a pap smear.

This rule from the Governor doesn’t stop you from going to PP but it does put a stop to the taxpayer being ripped off by PP to pay for women’s services, like pass trough for mammograms. Taxpayers are still paying for all the services you received just with a different provider.

batterup on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I don’t hate him because he’s black. I hate him because he is ruining this country. I hate him because he is a moron who only got elected because he’s black. You have more options than you stated. If you aren’t willing to pay for your healthcare you can get those screenings at just about any mall at some point during the year.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Don’t mess with Texas. Go Perry!!!

dddave on February 24, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Gingrich won’t want to be VP, but he would be an invaluable asset to Romney in keeping him to the conservative side, and giving him the inside knowhow to swing the hatchet where it needs swinging.

Romney/Gingrich does it for me, at this point.

Just realized this tonight.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM

This coming from a guy who went from Palin/? to Cain/Gingrich to Gingrich/Cain, by the way, just for the record.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Some of y’all noobs are less dense than others.

Bishing…figure it out.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The waters are getting sparse. I threw out lure after lure on the “Florida tasing” thread and got not a single nibble.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Sucks that hindsight is 20/20, and that he flopped so bad in the debates but I also think he gave up too early. Rick Perry on his home turf makes sweater-chump look like a clown, and I’m guessing he might have swept the same states Santorum did if he had stayed in the race. Oh well

1984 in real life on February 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Put Romney and Gingrich arm in arm on stage at the convention waving at the crowd, and they will look to the majority of Americans like they can run the country.

Electable ticket.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Seriously – I can’t even begin to comprehend it.

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I had high hopes for Perry. I think he should have waited a little while to jump in till he was fully recovered. He did fine at the end and I don’t think he should have dropped out when he did. I think of the remaining four, Newt would do the best job as President, so I am not kind of feeling your pain…LOL

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

When racism is the only card you have left, fold the deck. Almost everyone on this site would rejoice seeing Allen West aboard AF1. Go Google his image, why doncha…

hillsoftx on February 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Some of y’all noobs are less dense than others.

Bishing…figure it out.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Hey, I’m new and I knew what you were doing. I almost corrected that guy, but I didn’t want to spoil your fun!

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

As messy as that one started out, I can see why.

As for other threads, it just takes patience.

And for the more helpful among us to stop warning the poor noobs.

But, as you saw, some noobs are kind of dense.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I miss the years I lived in Texas. Always feels like home. Go Rick!

Christian Conservative on February 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Oops.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Devious, ain’t ya’. I think I’m gonna’ like you. In a good way.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

We might just oblige ya there on our own, dude. Then watch your Oil Prices, ignoramus.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

finally, need more states to sack up

John Kettlewell on February 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Oops.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM

LOL – I knew what you meant :)

gophergirl on February 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I still prefer Gingrich as president, but Romney’s got the shinier paint job. I hate to be thinking that way, but each day that goes by leaves me in ever-deeper dread of 0bama winning. May have to go with the odds, and Mitt’s slick salesmanship, and let him lead the ticket, as much as I don’t like the idea.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I see what you did there.

You-Eh-Vee on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Man, I swear you stole that idea from me from a ballistic thread shortly after Perry “heartless” comment… ;-)

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

ignoramus.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

A normal person would think that someone with a handle such as “John Galt” would be smarter than that.

But after the economics lesson the 23rd of y’all tried…that moniker has lost its cred.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:39 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Texas a “septic tank”??!! What does that make California, then?

Sir Rants-A-Lot on February 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

The one advantage we have over the Dem voters is that they’ve been allowed to be lazy and ignore all the issues, having no primary battles to fight.

Wait until the general and they just start paying attention, and people like us who’ve been on the stick start torching them left and right with the facts and leave them sputtering.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Texas a “septic tank”??!! What does that make California, then?

Sir Rants-A-Lot on February 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

LOL, Cali has become a big, flatulent, bean burrito
:D

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

And then I built a time machine so I could use it when the EPA went on its last offensive against Texas (and the southern Oklahoma oil fields) in the early 90′s.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM

And I miss those early Perry threads, they were fun.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

finally, need more states to sack up

John Kettlewell on February 24, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Exactly. If, God forbid, Obama is re-elected, the only hope we will have will be the Governors. Obama ignores any laws that get in his way, and I think the states should start ignoring him, as well as filing so many lawsuits against that administration they won’t have time to do anything but respond. Palinize him, so to speak!

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I gotta nibble, but they were just “Carp(ing)” so I just cut bait ;)

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Put that time machine to good use and stake out Stanley Ann Dunham around, oh, Nov. 4, 1960, the week Kennedy was elected. :D

And I miss those early Perry threads, they were fun.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Man, you’re right, those things were no-holds-barred throwdowns!! Man, it was wrasslin’ in the dirt!

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Texas a “septic tank”??!! What does that make California, then?

Sir Rants-A-Lot on February 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM

A cesspool.

Mitoch55 on February 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Is Louisiana a Super Tuesday state?

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Nope, Louisiana primary is March 24.

We don’t count, anyway. Lost one of our seats due to illegals invading certain other states

*cough*California*cough*Texas*

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m sure the Queen of Health Care will weigh in shortly.

GarandFan on February 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Is Louisiana a Super Tuesday state?

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Where you from?

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM

If you have the stomach for it turn on any liberal commentary and you will hear how the Republican Party has waged war against women. Well,Mr. Perry hope you have a plan to counter these attacks because there are a whole lot of uninformed voters out there that will simply eat this up.

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Miss you Guv.

poljunkie51 on February 24, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I’ll tell you what, the whole idea of 0bama as an ex-one-term president makes me ill, though it’s what has to happen.

He is so much more arrogant than Carter. People felt bad for Carter after the election, and he went quietly, with dignity (unlike his wife), and didn’t do anything crazy between November and January.

Can you imagine the unsettling feeling of having 0bama get defeated but then still in office for 2-1/2 months. I swear, I feel like the guy might start a world war as revenge, and burn down the White House on the way out.

He seems THAT angry and dangerous as a lame-duck president.

What are we going to do, as Americans, if 0bama gets beat but then totally goes off the rails and starts just breaking all the china on the way out?

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Hey coz, why don’t you come on down here and say that.

av8tr on February 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

That’s what I’m talking about. Are you a pilot av8tr? I live here in Texas as well and I’m a pilot.

air_up_there on February 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Yeah, I’m not sure this is going to turn out so well for the GOP in November. You know the MSM will be spinning this like crazy for their guy.

Syzygy on February 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

***

There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Sorry, no sale. If Allen West, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, or any other conservative black were getting on Airforce One, I’d have no problem.

Try again.