Texas to administration: Never mind your threats, we’re cutting Medicaid to abortion providers

posted at 7:38 pm on February 24, 2012 by Tina Korbe

At CPAC, Texas Gov. Rick Perry quipped, “I haven’t left the fight; I just went home, reloaded my Mag and am fighting on a different front.” Clearly, he wasn’t kidding. Texas today cut Medicaid funding to abortion providers — even though the administration threatened to cut the state’s funding if it did so. The Daily Caller reports:

On Thursday, Texas Health and Human Services Commissioner Thomas Suehs signed a rule at the behest of lawmakers and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott that will formally ban Planned Parenthood affiliates and other abortion providers from participating in Texas’ Women’s Health Program.

The administration had threatened to revoke federal funding from the state-federal Medicaid program if Texas went through with the ban.

“The Obama administration is trying to force Texas to violate our own state laws or they will end a program that provides preventative health care to more than 100,000 Texas women,” said Allison Castle, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Perry told The Texas Tribune. “This boils down to the rule of law — which the state of Texas respects and the Obama administration does not.”

The ball is back in the administration’s court now: Does Obama want to actually cut funding and potentially jeopardize the Texas Women’s Health program, which might not be able to survive without federal funding? That sends the message that Obama cares less that women have access to health care than that they receive health care from certain providers — namely, providers that also offer abortions.

Either Rick Perry just called Obama’s bluff or this is about to be an interesting issue. Planned Parenthood has already retorted with its typical demagoguery: “No one’s politics should interfere with a woman’s access to health care,” Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast President and CEO Peter J. Durkin said in a statement. “It is shameful that Governor Perry and Commissioner Suehs continue to politicize lifesaving breast cancer screenings and birth control access for low-income women.”

Would Planned Parenthood stand by that statement as it applies to President Obama, too? Surely other providers in the Texas Women’s Health Exchange provide breast cancer screenings and birth control access. Eliminating abortion providers from the exchange doesn’t jeopardize women’s health access — but eliminating the exchange altogether would. It’s obvious why Planned Parenthood would care more about which organization women turn to — they’ve got a business to run. Why don’t they just admit that and stop the rhetoric about “women’s health”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The Dems have waged war on women’s jobs, and the jobs of their husbands.

At a certain point, being broke outweighs the luxury of being “morally aggrieved.”

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I miss Perry as candidate.

philoquin on February 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Me too.

BakerAllie on February 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Nope, Louisiana primary is March 24.

We don’t count, anyway. Lost one of our seats due to illegals invading certain other states

*cough*California*cough*Texas*

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I’m in PA, so I won’t have a say either.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I’m in PA, so I won’t have a say either.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

There needs to be an equitable system to rotate the primaries, grouping them in mixed-economic tiers, so that a good cross-section of the country bets a say in picking the nominee. I’ll daresay that a large part of our problems these days in getting decent nominees, in both parties, is the idiotic, warped system that lets a couple states do the vetting.

On the other hand, at least California votes late. Were California the early decider, Alec Baldwin would be president for life.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I think with libs like Isserley, or any lefty who thinks her services are threatened by righty-the-whitey, the immediate knee-jerk reaction is to play the race card and claim that Republicans hate [women, gays, blacks, Hispanics, Muslims, Arabs, …..).

Just shows how ignorant and lazy people have become by allowing the news media to tell them what to think.

VibrioCocci on February 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

As messy as that one started out, I can see why.

As for other threads, it just takes patience.

And for the more helpful among us to stop warning the poor noobs.

But, as you saw, some noobs are kind of dense.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Feels like I stepped into the middle of an inside joke. Not sure…but I was just trying to insert a little schtick.

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This evening former President Bill Clinton issued a statement. He denounced Perry’s cutting off of Medicaid funds for abortion providers and is concerned that federal aid for women’s health program will be cut. In response Clinton promised if federal aid was cut he would rent a motor home and travel around Texas giving free pelvic and breast exams to any woman who wants them under the age of twenty five.

Smedley on February 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Scratch a liberal and you’ll find a Communist. And there are only three words any Communist will ever understand:

“Or else… what?”

Every liberal takeover in history has always resulted in violence. The sooner that starts, the less likely it will take the form of genocide.

logis on February 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

California really needs to be split up more. San Francisco and Los Angeles swamp the whole state and turn it blue, when outside those area’s it’s redder than people would think.

BakerAllie on February 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

What is the name of that gov program?
The one that says you have to hire so many
People that otherwise wouldn’t qualify?
To be fair .. To a special group at all others expense.
Geeze I forgot the name.. That must be how our leader was hired.
Surely wouldn’t make it on his own .
Very sad situation. For everyone else.

MrMoe on February 24, 2012 at 9:15 PM

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I certainly don’t think Iowa should go first anymore. It’s not even a Republican state. And New Hampshire? Who cares what they think? (/sarc) I don’t see why they can’t do it all on one day. That would give everyone a chance to have a say and stop a lot of the shenanigans.

Since I wasn’t a commenter back when the oil spill happened, how is your area doing at this point?

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Nope, Louisiana primary is March 24.

*cough*California*cough*Texas*

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I wouldn’t be so quick to judge there cane_loader, I understand there are quite a few taco stands in New Orleans. And being from Texas, I do love my tacos.

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

But you are part of the cream that rises to the top of an otherwise below average barrel of noobs.

Lets just say that the nutballs who have Texas-envy where thick, and easy pickins’, when it was even rumored that Perry would enter the race.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I’m in PA, so I won’t have a say either.
Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yep, I know the feeling. I’m in PA, too.

There needs to be an equitable system to rotate the primaries, grouping them in mixed-economic tiers, so that a good cross-section of the country gets a say in picking the nominee. I’ll daresay that a large part of our problems these days in getting decent nominees, in both parties, is the idiotic, warped system that lets a couple states do the vetting.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Even if it was done by region — northeast, mid Atlantic, midwest, southeast, etc., — and rotating every four years so every area gets the chance to go first, it would be better than what we have now.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

That sounds good. Probably too simple for whoever decides these things. What part of PA? I’m near Pittsburgh, in the lower tax county just north, a nice conservative pocket.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I’m in PA, so I won’t have a say either.
Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I am in NC … so it is usually done by time it gets to us …

conservative tarheel on February 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Okay – got it. Wasn’t sure if I needed to doff my cap or bow up!

I have read this site for about 5 years and always enjoyed reading the comments. The exchanges are always lively and fairly intelligent (which is a relative judgement…I know how mind-numbing the trolls can be as well). But I always missed open registration – so not participating in the comments, I didn’t know the players as well as maybe I thought I did.

Glad to make a solid contribution.

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

And – the reason why I was a little timid about it is that I have noticed how below average this batch has been – many trolls and people with no card to play but the ad hominem attack. I am trying darn hard to not be “that guy”.

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

We have become absolutely swamped by Mexicans with Texas license plates. We see them now pushing strollers down the sides of country roads every day, and Spanish spoken within earshot in nearly every store, every visit. We have NEVER seen this type of population migration. This is Cajun country, and we’re used to a certain socioeconomic balance that works its way out.

I’m not being racist – we’re a poor state, and I wonder who’s paying for all the services they’re using, and how the blacks will live who are losing their jobs wholesale in my town to this foreign invasion.

It is a human tidal wave of non-English speakers down here, and it sucks.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Got to go up to the store for something, was just out the door when you commented. Hope y’all have a good evening.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I’m in southwestern PA, too, going east. My county just dislodged a bunch of Dems in the row offices who had been there for over 50 years. LOL!

I know your county, too. Nice area.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Nope, Louisiana primary is March 24.

*cough*California*cough*Texas*

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Ca didn’t gain any seats. TX gained 4. Why? Partly because CA is losing more people to other states than any other state, and the largest portion of those fleeing CA go to TX. TX has the highest net number of internal immigrants, and has for years. Yes, the feds do not control the border, but that’s only part of the story.

TX also took in whole bunch of people from LA in 2005. Just sayin’. You folks lost a lot of population because of Katrina. It didn’t do anything good for our crime rate, but we were happy to help and always will be.

TX and LA are on the same side. Jindal and Perry are friends and work together well.

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Something I have thought about if men were the ones who had to get abortions would there be less abortions? Think of a vasectomy performed with a pair of these.

I just have to think we would be hearing on a regular basis what a barbarous act abortions are if it were men getting them.

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It is a human tidal wave of non-English speakers down here, and it sucks.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I know by your comment your not being racist, but I have to tell ya after Katrina, many Texans felt the same way about the inundation. As for who’s paying for all the services we all are and it does suck.

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It is a human tidal wave of non-English speakers down here, and it sucks.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Because the FEDS do not control the border. If LA had a border with Mexico, it would also be unprotected. I’m getting irritated with you blaming TX for its geography. I don’t blame you guys for raising our crime rate when half of you moved here during Katrina/Rita. Geography happens.

Perry and Jindal are both on the front lines fighting against Obama. You should be glad for that. I am.

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Hooray for Perry!

PP should not receive funding from any govt – local, state or federal. This is a despicable organization that exists for one reason – ABORTION. All of the other ‘services’ they provide are just cover. This org was established to provide as many abortions for blacks as possible to limit or decrease the amount of black babies born.

Sporty1946 on February 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

It is a human tidal wave of non-English speakers down here, and it sucks.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Some of those are the illegals fleeing Alabama.

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Ok, I’m getting a little more irritated now, remembering 2005. I know you’re not here, cane loader, but if you want to talk about paying for services, I personally paid for a LOT of services voluntarily when our town set up the refugee centers. The whole city (and state) really pitched in: gov, corporations, small business and individuals, all scrambled to help these thousands of people who fled here with nothing but the clothes they wore.

We never got much thanks for it, but it was the right thing to do, and I’d do it again without thinking twice. Sometimes I get tired of getting kicked in the teeth for it, but virtue is its own reward,

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Thanks, its people like you that make me proud to be a Texan. I believe it is better to give a hand up, than a hand out. If only our government was run this way.

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

What the heck is that thing? You might be right. When I was young, at least they had to pay for them. Now they just walk away, knowing the government will take care of it.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Relax a bit. I used to spend a lot of time in New Orleans. The whole flavor of a very old city and culture have changed in just a few short years. It pains the people whole live there some.

On the upside, Texas kept a bunch of the best refuges before most went back.

And, this is a big and, New Orleans now has some pretty good Tex-Mex to go along with the crayfish boils and drive through daiquiri shops.

Not something a Cajun would want to hear, but it is what it is.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thanks, DDay, same to you, and aren’t we fortunate?

I don’t mean to come down so hard on cane loader, who is a good guy, but I don’t get why he blames us for LA’s problems.

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Thanks, and I really don’t worry about the refugees here, even though Houston has a small group that refuses to work. I was happy to help, and don’t regret it for second. It’s fortunate we’re in a position to help.

I had never been to New Orleans until last October, so I don’t know how it used to be. We LOVED loved loved it. Had a fabulous time and found the people to be very friendly. I fell in love with Louisiana.

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

And to follow up on that, all the refugees I’ve personally met here are terrific folks and assets to the community.

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

At this point, I’m starting to feel like let’s just do a Romney/Gingrich ticket and be done with it, and then kick 0bama’s butt from now until November. We’ve spent enough energy.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I’m pretty much there with you, Loader. Since the VP “runs” the Senate, Newt is the “The Man” there. And that ticket lets us focus on, and Win the “ABO” war, instead of these endless internecine battles.

Electoral politics, Mitt N, Newt S. Classic ticket calculus.

Let’s win The War – ABO!!!!

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Hey, wait a minute. Wasn’t The Komen Foundation’s problem with PP that they fraudulently took money for breast screenings, but did not have the equipment or trained personnel to perform mammograms.

Good for Perry and TX.

ironked on February 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I was at PP last week. Had breast exam pap smear cervical cancer screening. I cannot afford health insurance so that was the cheapest place I found. I could’ve gone to a free clinic in the not so safe part of town and wait 8 hrs to see a doctor. No body asked me to go fornicate so I can come back later for an abortion. What was disturbing to me was the metal detector and the arrogant protesters trying to shame me because I wanted to see a doctor of my own choosing. Texas ranks number one of the uninsured in this country. You buda cacas don’t give a damn. There’s a black man getting on Airforce 1 and we can’t have that.

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

lol … what a load of bullcrap. This has all the making of the typical liberal lie.

- PP was the savior because she’s uninsured

- Any other facility is in the “bad side of town”

- Protestors “shaming”

- “doctor” of my own choosing

- black man/racism

Hit all the major liberal lie talking points.

darwin on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

In a word, frustration.

New Orleans was changing pretty fast before Katrina. Hispanics were already moving there and if restaurants is anything to go by, they were catching up to the Asian places by about 2002.

One of the things Katrina exposed was the not very well kept secret of just how much corruption was going on in the entire state. One of the things that Jindal is trying to change. If the stories I have heard about just the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, or New Orleans levees are even close to true, Louisiana could teach lessons in corruption to Illinois and New Jersey. I know the stories about the unions and the convention center are true.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

If it’s too simple, it can’t be easily manipulated and/or played for effect, so the RNC/Elites will never allow it. Unless….

“Don’t Tread On Me!”

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

The answer to Washington threats to cut off federal funding, aka returning TX’s taxpayer money to TX taxpayers, is the Federal Funds Act, state level legislation that causes all federal taxes to be collected and remitted by the states.

Read it, understand it, and promote t.

Charlemagne on February 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

That’s a piece of women’s gynecological medical equipment – it looks pretty antiquated huh.

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

The Dems have waged war on women’s jobs, and the jobs of their husbands.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I remember a study a couples decades or more ago, that blamed the “two-income” family on the lowest earner working just to cover taxes.

The resulting cultural damage to children not being raised by their parents, of course, is one of the (quiet) major causes of most of the problems we are arguing about.

“It Takes a (socialist) Village” is because Mom and Dad both have to work to support the Government.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand/Gov Rick Perry.

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I remember that time, I was in Austin. We took in 25,000 refugees. We processed them quickly out of our large shelters and got them the FEMA housing vouchers. Once they got their vouchers, a lot of charities, including St Vincent de Paul pitched in and donated furniture. The refugees could go to the charity warehouses and pick out what they needed and it was delivered to their new place for free.

I was moving from Texas at the time and had to downsize. I donated enough really nice furniture to St. Vincent’s, enough to furnish a 2 BR apartment, along with a lot of kitchen stuff. I was glad to do it.

I remember thinking at the time that the hurricanes were going to change the forward generations of the refugees. Prior to the hurricanes, they were stuck in a ghetto where few intact families existed, and almost no role models. When they came to Austin, they were dispersed around the city to all sorts of neighborhoods and Austin has some really good school systems (in spite of the teachers’ unions). Those children now live in areas where they see a mom and dad together, making a living, and planning futures for their kids. So the refugee kids could actually see that they, too, could dream and plan a future for themselves.

it is totally ironic that TX and LA just shifted their populations. We got the flood victims and LA got the workers who wanted to rebuild the flooded areas.

The one thing I miss about Texas is good BBQ and TexMex. Not to mention real steakhouses. Sigh.

karenhasfreedom on February 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Good for Perry and TX.

ironked on February 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Their clientele is 40 and under, and the suggested guidelines for breast screening is no screening until 50 there are not a lot of pregnant 50 year olds.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), a government agency has recommended eliminating mammograms for women ages 40-49 although</strong>

Dr Evil on February 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM

LOL, there are “taco stands” everywhere. Which is testament both to the tastiness and popularity thereof, and the prolific availability of experienced taco cooks nationwide.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Charlemagne on February 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Federal Funds Act sounds like the plot of Thomas Kratman’s “A State Of Disobedience”.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Would be a darn good place to start.

Charlemagne on February 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

“Don’t Tread On Me!”

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

A concurrent effort also should be the long-range project of getting rid of the elites in the GOP. That’ll have to be done bottom-up as I believe Cold Warrior has mentioned about becoming a precinct captain in your area.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Would be a darn good place to start.

Charlemagne on February 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Read the book, it’s very topical. I keep trying to convince the author to post is to the Baen Free Library but he says it;s selling too well – and it’s a fairly old title.

But perfectly understandable, given the times and the topic.

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Yeah…Not a lot of help after Ike was there? But Texans take care of our own anyway.

It was a sad day when Perry dropped out of the race. He’s been a good governor & Abbot is a fine Atty. Gen.

If Dewhurst goes to DC I hope Abbott makes LT. Gov. and Cruz becomes Atty.Gen.

workingclass artist on February 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM

The tea parties here in western MI are doing exactly that. They had some good successes at the local and state level and sent Amash to the House in DC. Amash has held to his principles and has mostly NOT caved into the elites and Boehner. We are proud of him. They are sending a contingent to the state convention (tea partiers). And the tea partiers around the state are trying to coalesce around the primary candidate they think will best stand up to the elites in the Senate. We want to send Stabenow packing.

karenhasfreedom on February 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Keep trucking, and Thanks!

We have to win one town and county at a a time!

(need I say it?)

“Don’t Tread On Me!”

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Put Romney and Gingrich arm in arm on stage at the convention waving at the crowd, and they will look to the majority of Americans like they can run the country.

Electable ticket.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I am starting to think that is a selection that will cause Romney to earn my vote.

What are we going to do, as Americans, if 0bama gets beat but then totally goes off the rails and starts just breaking all the china on the way out?

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Sometimes I think Obama will be OK with losing because he knows Bill Clinton hauled in 150 MILLION in speaking fees since he left office. Obama really likes money, so does Michelle. And with that kind of change, he can afford his own plane and pilot, although you just know he loves flying around on the taxpayer’s millions.

karenhasfreedom on February 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I wasn’t born in Texas…but I got here as fast as I could!

D@mn proud. Give em he!!, Rick!

CycloneCDB on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Effin’ A!!!!

did we move to the right state or WHAT!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I’ll go with “or what” for 250 Alex ALT.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM

juliesa on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I don’t appreciate your comment at all. In fact it pisses me off. You were helping Americans fleeing a natural disaster, which was a noble, good thing to do.

We’re being invaded by border crashers.

Trying to draw such an equivalence and make me feel bad, as one who saw the depths of Katrina, is personally offensive.

For your information, my problem with the Texas-plate Mexicans is that they are taking a HUGE percentage of the jobs that once were held by my neighbors and fellow countrymen, the blacks of my community, who are AMERICAN CITIZENS, last time I looked.

I am not generalizing – I know of DOZENS of black folks who have a family member who has lost a job to a Mexican in our town alone, since the post-Katrina invasion.

So I don’t have to shut up and like it, when I see it leaving our community with a soaring pool of jobless black AMERICANS, and you can shove your attempt at moral equivalence where it belongs.

cane_loader on February 25, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I don’t mean to get too heated, but I think people assume I live in New Orleans, and I don’t. New Orleans always was a gumbo pot. The area I live has had a very stable population for 150 years. The tidal wave of Mexicans is causing large dislocations here, and we have a whole lost generation of young blacks on our hands. They have been shut out of construction, maintenance, service, and gardening jobs, wholesale. It’s like half of northern Mexico has moved here in the last 3 years.

cane_loader on February 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

The government amok. The states starting to deliberately defy it.

The powder keg continues to build towards a flashpoint.

Mark my words – what we are seeing here is the build up to the next civil war. This is the 1850′s for all intents and purposes.

Mark my words. In the next decade we will see insurrection in this nation.

I still don’t know yet weather I will cheer it’s oncoming, or cry to God in anguish. Regardless, it will be awful – literally.

SilverDeth on February 25, 2012 at 1:00 AM

That’s right, just when the so-cons got their asses handed to them, the gop in full retreat on social issues, and women around the country fired up….

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

This does not affect women around the country. It only affects Texas. The majority of Texas voters don’t want to fund abortion.

tmontgomery on February 25, 2012 at 1:17 AM

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

If you have the stomach for it turn on any liberal commentary and you will hear how the Republican Party has waged war against women. Well,Mr. Perry hope you have a plan to counter these attacks because there are a whole lot of uninformed voters out there that will simply eat this up.

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Those uninformed voters didn’t seem to vote in droves for the Dems in 2010, did they? If you’d listen to a genius like freshface, however, the Dems did far better that election day than the GOP did.

Fortunately for us, 0bamessiah and the Left overestimate their own intelligence and manipulative abilities. People like freshface, who already eat whatever 0bamessiah puts on their plates, aren’t the group of people 0bamessiah needs to connect with, and their hyping of ‘the GOP’s War on Women!!!’ is setting them back more with the people He does need to reach than it is advancing them – they’re just too stupid to realize this, just as they were in 2010.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM

DDay on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Louisiana got the better deal. They are getting mostly hard workers who have strong religious beliefs and are very family orientated. We got higher crime rates and more welfare.

tmontgomery on February 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

freshface on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

The only people that have handed the “Socons” asses to them are the progressive republicans in their own party.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Go Texas!

hawkdriver on February 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM

WHAT A MAN & FIGHTER!!! These nitwits that come back with Oh! he’s so dumb, I know one thing, if this brave governor is so dumb we need about 48 (Jindal is great) more just like him. We sure missed an apportunity to elect the most capable man in the country..

Tn.-Vol on February 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

We would be better off if Obama kicked Texas out of the Union and have them take Oklahoma with them. Then fence the whole thing off to keep out illegals.

cozmo on February 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

So would we. However, we did try to leave the union once. You forced us back in. Now you’re stuck with us so STFU.

Odysseus on February 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Anything that can’t survive without federal funding needs to be shut down, period.

Odysseus on February 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Go Texas!

hawkdriver on February 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Go where? It can’t go he11, its he11 on earth already.

You forced us back in. Now you’re stuck with us so STFU.

Odysseus on February 25, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I take it reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit.

cozmo on February 25, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I know your county, too. Nice area.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I’m right near Night Owl! W Pa represents on HotAir!

Anonimo on February 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM

karenhasfreedom on February 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

That’s great! Love hearing stories like this! That’s the kind of success that will build upon itself and it will increase your resolve to be able to go for the gold and get rid of Debbie Stabenow.

PatriotGal2257 on February 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’m right near Night Owl! W Pa represents on HotAir!

Anonimo on February 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Yesss!! Glad to see you here!

PatriotGal2257 on February 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Good for rick. We live in TX for many reasons.

TX-96 on February 25, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Am I mistaken in that it seems that men are starting to behave like men again? The point has to be made that contraceptives and abortion has nothing to do with preventive healthcare. Pregnancy and babies are not diseases. We cannot let the government define it as such like Roe vs. Wade defined when life begins. Texas is lucky to have a Governor who stands up for state’s rights and doesn’t cave to Federal mandates.

lea on February 25, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Isserley on February 24, 2012 at 8:13 PM

A pap smear is a cervical cancer screening.

And I don’t give a damn what color skin obaka has, his policies are killing this country. That is what I care about.

ladyingray on February 25, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Just logged in and haven’t read the comments yet but

Welcome home governor, you do us proud.

jazzuscounty on February 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hit all the major liberal lie talking points.

darwin on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Maybe so, but she’s not entirely wrong about PP being an affordable clinic for those without insurance. That’s why PP is able to make such a big stink about things and win. They are almost always the cheapest option for their services, and many of the clinics have a sliding scale for payments depending on how much you make (you specifically even, meaning that housewives make $0). That said, PP’s almost always ARE in the shifty areas of town. There’s a reason she had to walk through a metal detector, and it’s not because of pro-lifers.

Regardless, we need an alternative to PP. A women’s health service organization actually focused on care for all women, even those not yet born or whose adult boyfriends are trying to hide a secret. If I had the money, I would start one and try to bring adoption back into “planned parenthood” conversations.

Esthier on February 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

cane_loader on February 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I understand where you are coming from. My whole life was spent in the northeast part of Houston. We saw the same happen to businesses and neighborhoods. If I saw another flag of Mexico flying, I thought I would puke. I didn’t want to relocate, but I am thankful we did.

jazzuscounty on February 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Obama will cut the funding and blame Perry. The MSM will dutifully pimp that narrative. C’mon, Tina. You gotta know that.

TheLastBrainLeft on February 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I’m in PA, so I won’t have a say either.

Night Owl on February 24, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Tell me about it. I live in Texas and at the rate that the Texas primary is being pushed back this year due to BS PC lawsuits, I am wondering if it will be before or after the convention. :/

Theophile on February 25, 2012 at 1:33 PM

What PP needs to understand is that if they quit doing abortions, Texas would be just fine with continuing to give them funding.

The fact that PP is NOT willing to do that tells you all that you need to know about where their priorities lie.

The bonus is that if Obama cuts federal Medicaid funding to the state, a lot of the illegal problem will take care of itself….

TeresainFortWorth on February 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Good for Perry and Texas. Bravo zulu.

J.E. Dyer on February 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Exactly, #TeresainFortWorth. The PP in my little town will be closing March 9.

WeeWeed on February 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Soooo, if PBHO withholds federal funds can Texans stop paying federal taxes? If so I think I might need to relocate.

dmn1972 on February 25, 2012 at 8:10 PM

I just came back from Wal-Mart.

Two groups of Mexicans in the produce section.

Then I stood in a long line and at the front, I bought a magazine with Time’s 100 Best Photos, for my library. I conversationally said to the 25-ish black girl checker, that after she checked it out I was going to go back to the rack and pick one from the back with no marks, because I had gotten my fingerprints on it, and once you mar the the black parts of magazines, the marks never come off.

She smiled and said that she collected all the 0bama magazines for her kids, and even had “the ones with his letters to Michelle.”

She sounded proud, and I was proud of her instinct to save stuff for her kids.

But I was dying inside. What could I say to her?

That I was going to vote against her hero because he was destroying the nation? That her hero was destroying her kids’ future?

What a bitter, evil curse has been laid upon the United States of America when, after 200+ years and a bloody Civil War that had us massacring ourselves over the fate of the black man, and then 100 years later the civil-rights workers being lynched in the South, and Martin Luther King being killed for his beliefs….

When finally a black man is elected president, the one presented as a fait accompli is a Socialist/Communist with a shadowed past, dividing our nation, rending it limb from limb, and setting us all at each others’ throats….. when in an alternate, kinder parallel universe we all could have celebrated the success of a legitimately experienced, sober, successful black man, had those who colluded with an unholy media to put 0bama in office not done something so…so…EVIL to this nation. If/when he is rejected in November, the wound to our black fellow citizens will be grievous, and likely linger as long as our flag manages to fly over this land.

This presidency, aside from the Civil War, may be the most evil, twisted, cynical thing done in the history of our nation.

This man, who may or may not be the son of a black man from Africa, and whose past is a mirage, sprinkled in the eyes of the electorate like fairy dust, is a benighted agent of undoing.

We are living in dire days, days of foreboding.

cane_loader on February 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Why don’t they just admit that and stop the rhetoric about “women’s health”?

Because “Murder Inc.” wants to be seen as something other than what they are.

infidel4life on February 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I think it’s worse.

At some point, it will become obvious that with a more or less government run health care system that the underlying promise of privacy that was necessary to support Roe v Wade will be obliterated.

The privacy component of Roe v Wade is based on the premise that the government has no business in your decision or your action and therefore must stay out. Once all contraceptive and abortion procedures are funneled through the government billing departments or merely through a government benefits selection committee, they will have broken down the door into your privacy and equally into your decision and your action. At which point Roe v Wade will become moot.

If and when this happens, Democrats will claim that the only protection for your right to an abortion will be to elect pro-abortion Democrats.

J_Crater on February 26, 2012 at 7:48 AM