Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em
posted at 9:25 pm on February 24, 2012 by Allahpundit
Via Pundit & Pundette and Mark Steyn. The money line (no pun intended): “Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.” Problem or not? Every time he says something that alludes to his wealth, however inadvertently, I have the same argument with myself:
– Damn, that’s a red-meat soundbite for Obama’s class-warfare campaign this fall.
– Oh, shut up. Stop playing the left’s game by scolding Romney for his success.
– I’m not scolding him. He worked hard for his money. He’s entitled to enjoy his wealth. But not all swing voters agree, so why force the issue?
– Maybe more swing voters would agree if you quit whining about “optics” and defended his right to enjoy his wealth instead.
– You’re not going to talk people out of class resentment. It is what it is. Accept it as a political fact of life and deal.
How’s this for a compromise: We’ll let Romney slide on talking about his many luxury cars if his campaign promises never again to hold an event in a giant stadium that’s 95 percent empty. Deal?
Breaking on Hot Air