Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em

posted at 9:25 pm on February 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Pundit & Pundette and Mark Steyn. The money line (no pun intended): “Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.” Problem or not? Every time he says something that alludes to his wealth, however inadvertently, I have the same argument with myself:

– Damn, that’s a red-meat soundbite for Obama’s class-warfare campaign this fall.
– Oh, shut up. Stop playing the left’s game by scolding Romney for his success.
– I’m not scolding him. He worked hard for his money. He’s entitled to enjoy his wealth. But not all swing voters agree, so why force the issue?
– Maybe more swing voters would agree if you quit whining about “optics” and defended his right to enjoy his wealth instead.
– You’re not going to talk people out of class resentment. It is what it is. Accept it as a political fact of life and deal.
– Betamalesayswhat?
– Huh?
– Betamalesayswhat?
– What?
– Exactly.

How’s this for a compromise: We’ll let Romney slide on talking about his many luxury cars if his campaign promises never again to hold an event in a giant stadium that’s 95 percent empty. Deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Quote fail.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Romney should be running for President in the Cayman Islands and Switzerland since he has more in common with those countries than middle class people in America.

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM

lol

Truck people.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Maybe his ideological twin Obama can help him pimp his rides.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

“I do not care about the poor”-Willard

Too rich, too out of touch

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Too bad he didn’t say that, LIAR.

I’m not concerned about the very poor; we have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I’ll fix it. I’m not concerned about the very rich, they’re doing just fine. I’m concerned about the very heart of the America, the 90 percent, 95 percent of Americans who right now are struggling, and I’ll continue to take that message across the nation.”

Is there not a “safety net” in place for “the very poor?” Do they not get free food, housing and medical care? That’s my experience, having worked at a hospital, in the ghetto, in Chicago.

I’d say Romney is undoubtedly more “in touch” with what’s going on with “the very poor” than you are, and I’m not a Romney fan.

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I didn’t think it could increase the “cringe worthyness” of Mittens any more…

… but it does!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

OK that was brutal. Nothing lamer than trying to fit in by being a camellion man.
Sounds like a 16 year old boy trying to impress a cute girl.

Its a damn shame this plastic man thinks we are all that damn dumb.
I suspect this is not a real man rather a robot with a trap door in back that Karl Rove inserts a cassette tape into depending on the crowd.

No wonder McSame beat him and to think I voted for the guy over McSame and AwSchucks.

Now if he had said those trees were the right height for hangin some…..well never mind

ConcealedKerry on February 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I know this might come a shock to you but most Americas dont identify with millionaires who flaunt their wealth in the face of the poor man especially during hard economic times.

“I do not care about the poor”-Willard

Too rich, too out of touch

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Then how do you explain the overwhelming fascination with Hollywood millionaires and rich musicians? How about the Kardashians? People loved FDR and the Kennedys. And your quote…not what he said.

jan3 on February 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM

They expected the stadium to be filled because he was the onlt “severely” electable candidate. Did.not.happen!

FLconservative on February 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

The one who has a brother living in a cardboard box. What do I win?

BTW, why doesn’t Barky help George out? The guy lives on $100/year. Moochelle eats more than $100 worth of food-like stuff for her regular Wednesday afternoon gorge-fest. I mean, tell me again who would have a brother living in a friggin cardboard box and not do something about it. That’s just sick. Typical for you despicable, lying scumbags, though.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

ZING

Don’t even start the count, call the freaking ring doctor. That girls going to need first aid.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

*only

FLconservative on February 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I thought I was reading a Conservative site, but judging by the author’s comments, I am guess he writes for the Huffington Post? He is some one who obviously has a hard time accepting that some one has the right to earn and spend their money as they wish.

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Romney is supposed to be this great politician who knows how to appeal outside the base. Those on the left are into class warfare and there are those in the current economic downturn who don’t like to be reminded of what they don’t have.

The base may not care but there are those who do.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Please list the characteristics of Obama that put him “in common with the middle class people in America.” I don’t know anybody in the middle class that plays golf as much as he does. I don’t know anybody in middle class who can afford the time and $$$ to take vacations the way his family does. Yet, you seem to think he actually cares about anyone other than himself? You must truly be delusional.

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This is nothing. Even a significant percentage of those that meet the government description of ‘poor’ have multiple vehicles, and we’ve all heard the cases of Cadillac-driving welfare recipients.

I’d prefer that Romney drive American-made Non-greedy-UAW vehicles.

slickwillie2001 on February 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So it just spins around? I keed, I keed. I was raised to hate Fords. I was raised wrong.

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I love this old truck. I’ll be driving it from Dallas all the way up to Montana when I move up there this spring.

Wish me luck! I hope I don’t have to bury it on my way up there.

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I don’t think the author has a problem with his cars. The question is how his opposition on the left will try to make an issue out of this. I’d try a re-read.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

You expected the Detroit Economic club to fill a stadium?
whatcat on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No, I don’t expect them to fill a stadium. Why is this being held in a stadium, then?
Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

My point is that it would “95% empty” if it were a football game; if they were shooting for 80,000 to show up then you’d be correct. But you are correct in that, optics-wise, they should have booked a smaller venue.

whatcat on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

whatcat on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

That made him feel better.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Wait a minute!

How ever can the left ever be outraged by this?

Aren’t they the cheerleaders for the GM bailout? Didn’t their Mighty “O” “save” the “auto industry”?

Go to any liberal hangout (Starbucks?) and you will not find a Chevy within a 100 miles! The lot will be filled with IMPORTS like Subaru’s, BMW’s, etc. Any “green” car will be a Prius, not a Ford Fusion.

If anything, isn’t Romney’s wife a champion of UAW workers and “union” jobs? All those aforementioned liberals car nameplate favorites are built in “right-to-work” non-union plants!

Is there any other example of utter hypocrisy? Didn’t the bailout HELP build more Acadia’s Why? Who the hell buys them? RICH guys like Romney, that’s who!

WTF is the GD problem?

Opposite Day on February 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Meh. I know a fair number of people with 4 or more cars, most of them in running, roadable insured condition. Of those people, I’d say half of them are all-American car collections. So, I’m really non-plussed when he says something like this. OTOH, it really is a nontroversy. I see his point, it’s just to me I think “So what?”. A remark like his would make more sense at a Goodguys show.

BillH on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Does this dude ever take the silver spoon out of his mouth long enough to talk about solutions to our rapidly escalating national debt, or how he will repeal the marxist takeover of our healthcare or repair the damage the Lyin kING has done to our relations worldwide with both our allies and our enemies?
Does the man have a plan or is it just his turn cause hes’ got a lot of money and the Repunks don’t want the innercities torched because the Lyin kING got beat by an all white guy?

ConcealedKerry on February 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM

The base may not care but there are those who do.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Is there anything Romney could say that you wouldn’t criticize? And that’s not sarcasm, I’m dead serious.

This is the biggest nothing-burger I’ve ever seen in a blog post. If this is an issue, then the people it’s an issue for wouldn’t consider Romney in a million years. Why is it that SOME people are so quick to jump on ANYBODY, not just Romney, on the right, expecting them to parse every word out of their mouths in fear of offending some unknown, unidentifiable “moderates” who wouldn’t vote for a Republican regardless of what they said?

Republicans need to tell the truth about Obama, and they don’t need to hide “who they are.” They don’t need to worry about offending somebody who would support Obama no matter what.

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I think a true conservative really wouldn’t have an argument with himself how some one earns and spends his or her money as they wish.

Oh, and by the way, I don’t see this site screaming and hollering for Rick Santorum’s tax filings either as they were Romney’s.

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

If this can be used by the opposition, effectively, then we don’t have a prayer of ever having another Republican elected to another public office, EVER.

This.

Is.

Ridiculous.

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

They make cars just the right height in Michigan.

Igor R. on February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I want to give you a hug for this. Exactly.

I’m not a Romney fan, but good for his wife. I would not mind owning a Cadillac either.

BakerAllie on February 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM

American cars make it easy to strap a dog to them.

Igor R. on February 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I think he’s talking about an electoral problem here, given Teh Won’s penchant for playing the class warfare game. Perhaps I’m wrong. I just don’t think so. And I have no problem with all of them revealing their tax forms, etc. I’m a Newt backer right now, but my main goal is the defeat of Obama.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

The one who has a brother living in a cardboard box. What do I win?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Well, his brother is living in a cardboard hut in Africa entirely because of our nation that has brought nothing but strife and pestilence and abject harm to the rest of the world. Why should Obama open his wallet to his brother who is, in Obama’s mind, but a victim of the USA and the West? Far better to let his brother suffer because of our insufferable imperialism than to help his Bro out by sending a Franklin over there himself, thus doubling his Bro’s annual income.

All the world’s problems, including the poverty of Obama’s brother, start and end here.

TXUS on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

BREAKING NEWS for Mittbots.

Your guy loves the PROGRESSIVE INCOME TAX.

He is a PROGRESSIVE, the warning signs are ALL THERE.

He’s Obama with magic underwear and bigger hair!!!!!!!

PappyD61 on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Romney has already promised not to go after Obama and he also won’t call him a socialsist.

We do need someone to to tell the truth about Obama.

Who did you have in mind?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Which one of these two people have seen poverty first hand?

-A Harvard grad who went to work in the inner cities of Chicago as a community organizer helping poor minorities/Americans get on their feet

OR

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Can you prove that :
1.He is a Harvard grad
2. He helped poor minorities/Americans get on their feet
???
Al Mansoor bought Obama a lifestyle and a degree and the rest is speculation based on a couple of fictional novels written by a terrorist for Obama .
Obama is a liar and has no work ethic, he could never survive in a private firm where people are actually supposed to work and be accountable . Communist organizing is all people like him are good for.
Ofcourse by using a fake SS# and forged ID, he did end up giving up his law license , as did his recruiter the Mooch, when they both got busted.

burrata on February 24, 2012 at 10:19 PM

This.

Is.

Ridiculous.

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I agree. It is ridiculous. But do you really think the left won’t try to make hay out of this?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Making a mountain out of a …………..

What’s smaller than an ant hill?

joncoltonis on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

poor Mitt Romney…

equanimous on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Are you talking about the site itself or the commenters. Because people screamed for all their taxes. And Santorum’s and Romney’s taxes statements have both been released. Did you miss that?

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

RICH guys like Romney, that’s who!

I’m Rich but not rich rich and yes I like Romney…LOL

rich801 on February 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Well….at least he knows what it’s like to be unemployed…..

He’s got that going for him…..which is nice….

Talon on February 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM

American cars make it easy to strap a dog to them.

Igor R. on February 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM

“I see there’s lots of dog lovers here in michigan where the trees are the right height and there’s lots of water puddles that I like.

I love dogs so much I took one on vacation once on top up my ford station wagon”

“Skunks anyone like skunks cause I could put a white stripe down the middle of my head and I’d kinda look like a skunk don’t ya think?
What about guns, I hunts me some bar mints once, I mean varmints oncet in a while but hel schucks no i won’t tells ya whut kind”

ConcealedKerry on February 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM

And Steve Jobs is a liberal God who cut off his company’s charitable donations and the press was silent. Ipods made with slave labor and the Press is silent. Job’s pursued capitalism with a ruthlessness that makes Romney look saintly, and the press remained silent.

Stop apologizing for being conservative and pursuing capitalism.

HopeHeFails on February 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM

We do need someone to to tell the truth about Obama.

Who did you have in mind?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

And it’s just icing on the cake for mittbots if he loses michigan tuesday, makes it to the convention then loses to O

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

The hypocrisy on the left is breathtaking.

Obama was best buddies with a billionaire crook who ran his finance chair of his campaign and obama family vacationed with her family. He wanted to make her commerce secretary.

Obama before he was president vacationed all the time in martha’s vineyard.

Obama right before inauguaration signed a half million children’s book deal when he was worth 10 million already.

Obama rents mansion in hawaii for 50 grand for two weeks. Can average americans relate to that.

Obama had geithner tell chris dodd to write into the legislation to protect AIG’s bonuses while he let car dealerships die and didn’t give the same protection of investors of a smaller investment company that almost went broke.

I’m so tired of the class war far when this elitist obama is in san francisco saying pennsylvanians are bitter and cling to guns and religion.

Obama and the media need to answer for the hypocrisy.

So sick of hearing about romney’s money when he gave 40 percent to charity and biden didn’t give one percent.

Biden got a crooked deal for half price on his property and has the secret service pay rent and he is some middle class guy.

ryandan on February 24, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I am not sure many of them would actually care. They seem to dislike social conservatives more than obama.

It would be one thing if this guy was the great campaigner and could connect with people like they claim, but he is none of those things. He lost to John McCain and for a good reason and he will lose to Obama as well.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Your inner dialogue sounded really PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Allah!

Seriously, though, these candidates hold several events each day. They give many speeches. They talk a lot. So they are bound to say some stupid things. If we didn’t live in a 24/7 news cycle we, probably wouldn’t know about any of this, and we woudln’t care! Obviously, what Romney was trying to do is show that despite his opposition to the auto bailout, HE DOES LIKE AND, ACTUALLY, BUYS AMERICAN CARS! You can call it pandering, if you like, but they are all doing this! This constant nit picking is not helpful and is getting really tiresome. I mean, we do want to get rid of Obama, right?

mexdem on February 24, 2012 at 10:39 PM

In all fairness here Romney didn’t schedule the event. The Detroit Economic Club did after the original venue sold out in 90 minutes. It was their event.

kurtd on February 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

“Conservative” is whatever some blowhard talk show host of the day is pushing.

It’s as meaningless as racist anymore. Sad.

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM

“Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.” Problem or not?

I think Romney isn’t comfortable talking about his “wealth” because he’s not someone who worships his wealth, but uses it and not in a gruesome way (we don’t see him wearing tons of gold, his wife draped in condescending bare-armed gimme appeals like Michelle Obama and others, we don’t see Romney nor children/family snarling from around a private island daring anyone to set foot there if uninvited to their special paradise…)…

…what I mean is that Romney is obviously a wealthy man and spends his wealth on himself and family but not spent with gratuitous gluttony like some who have wealth. Two Cadillacs driven by the wife? I just saw a report on FOX about all the Porsche’s being purchased by “new Facebook wealth” and then there’s the Hollywood celebrity behavior of “giving” to Obama while promoting themselves and their wealth in doing so (Bill Maher’s big do about his big donation recently, example).

If I had several million discretionary to spend, enjoy at will, I’d have no problem buying two Cadillacs or whatever other vehicles I’d want (I’d prefer a new MBZ-M Class four wheeler and a Ford truck and maybe also a new MBZ C-Class for special use).

The behavior I don’t like isn’t how the Romney’s use their available wealth but how poeple like Maher and other Leftwingers indulge in such gratuitous grovelling ABOUT wealth, and I’ve never been fond of the rap-ghetto-gold-lizard-lounge acts behavior by people like the Obamas, among others. Romney’s behavior, on the other hand, seems just utilitarian where his wealth is concerned.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Mitt Romney: Bill Clinton without the personal charm or political skill.

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 10:43 PM

We do need someone to to tell the truth about Obama.

Who did you have in mind?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Okay…When did Romney say he wouldn’t go after Obama? I guess I missed that memo…LOL

rich801 on February 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Make Obama drive a Volt.

profitsbeard on February 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

What talk show clown told you that?

Rush, Savage, Beck or that other idiot Levin?

“Conservative” talk show hosts are Obama’s best friend.

Getting their soft-headed and easily led audiences to reject Romney in the hope of selfishly driving up their own ratings.

That’s all they care about. Not America. Ratings.

And you fools fall for it.

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

What was that percentage of annual income Mitt Romney and wife, Ann, give to charity? Many millions of dollars.

What about Obama and wife? And Biden? Biden and wife (a physician, not as if he and she don’t have a high income) gave, what, under $400. over several years? I mean, that’s downright embarrassing about who Biden and wife are, not to mention Obama’s miserly inability to be charitable, especially while dmeanding other people’s money in the millions every single day, as also his wife engages in.

I don’t have a problem with wealthy people, never do judge them in any regard with their wealth, as long as they’re earning it legitimately and not by stealing it or depriving property from others who own it.

Spending it on Cadillacs for the wife to drive seems aimless when the cost of two Cadillacs by comparison with disposable wealth is low, and, apperently Mitt Romney loves his wife, Ann and wants her to be comfortable and safe — it’s another indication of Romney spending his money where it matters, in my view.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

apperently = apparently.

Typo.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I hope Romney brings up Obama being a community organizer in the general election. Most Americans identify with poor folks than they do with rich folks because MOST Americans have been poor before…only the 1% are rich.

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Actually Obama was a “failed” community organizer. Get your facts straight.

kurtd on February 24, 2012 at 10:50 PM

HANG IN THERE MICHELLE…!

Swerve22 on February 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

sharrukin

Bush had a 20 percent approval so I don’t get how mccain could be blamed.

He did as well as he could do under the circumstances. GOP won 180 house seats and McCain did far better than the rest of the gop down the ticket.

A new book out talked how obama was heard complaining in afghanistan about having to spend time greeting soldiers and he wanted it to be less time and was putting up a fit. Media doesn’t bring up how out of touch this elitist is.

Even the local detroit media is mocking the national media about this contraversy.

Santorum had 400 for his detroit economic speech. The 700 event venue sold out so they had to move it to a bigger venue. At the last minute the secret service moved it from the atrium in ford field to the field itself. The detroit economic club usually holds their meetings in the atrium.

This wasn’t a rally and the romney people didn’t want this as the venue but the detroit economic club was in charge of the venue. Ford Jr is on the board of the detroit economic club.

This was a paid event $45 for members and $75 for non members at noon on a friday with schools cancelled in the suburbs for snow so some parents had to stay home and there were some empty seats on the ground.

Romney had 1,200 people and even a board member who is supporting another candidate said it was one of the largest crowds they ever had for an economic speech.

You know the bias is strong in the national media when local media libs start looking in comparison.

ryandan on February 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM

What Charity? The Mormon cult?

They are not even Christians. Please dont let me school you on the Bible. I have exposed Mormons so many times I almost converted one who knocked at my door in college

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Romney said he drives a ford mustang and a pickup truck, and his wife drives two Cadillacs.

Romney’s campaign says the Cadillacs are a 2005 and 2007; one of her vehicles is at their California home, and she drives the other one around, I presume, at their primary residence community.

Have we really become this petty around here?

Cavalry on February 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My next vehicle.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

We do need someone to to tell the truth about Obama.

Who did you have in mind?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

rich801 on February 24, 2012 at 10:44 PM

That sounds like a Levin meme (what “sharrukin” wrote).

Unfortunately, Levin is imbalanced (d’oh) where Romney is concerned, and Savage definitely is imbalanced.

I can read Limbaugh and enjoy his views but I have a hard time of late with some of what he’s off about and it’s a challenge to listen to the man (print is easier). I can follow Beck but he, too, has his moments of wandering off the Reasonable Range.

Maligning Romney on being a weak opponent to Obama is irrational. Romney’s waged the best campaign, so far, among the GOP candidates and has the best organization to contend with opposition, such as Obama is and will be.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

What the hell is it with the trees being the right height? Isn’t this the second time he’s babbled about that?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Maybe he’s just geeked about that Lorax movie that’s coming in a week. He speaks for the trees, you know?

Doughboy on February 24, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Yes, but Romney won’t drive the ratings of the gutless “conservative” talk show hosts like Rush, Levin and Beck.

Pandering to the fools who are more concerned with sticking a finger in the eye of the phantom “establishment” so much, they want four more years of Barack Obama.

Bastards, every one of them.

They care more about their ratings than they do the country

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

What Charity? The Mormon cult?

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Charity is what God asks of us. Love of neighbor. IF you were knowledgeable about and of the Bible, you’d know that. No where in the Bible, Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) or New Testament does God tell us that charity isn’t charity when it involves one “caste” or “class” or another, God asks us to BE CHARITABLE.

You’re suggesting that charity be measured by WHO receives it. And that’s not charity, that’s Marxism.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

The sorry state of political coverage was on full display today at Mitt Romney’s speech before the Detroit Economic Club.
The national media joined Democrats in fixating on the fact that the 65,000 seat Ford Field was barely filled by the crowd 0f 1,200, implying that a lack of enthusiasm for Romney was behind the “meager” crowd.
What wasn’t reported adequately was that the luncheon was moved to Ford Field when demand for the Romney event exceeded the capacity at Cobo Center, the Book Cadillac or the Rennaisance Center Westin, the other venues normally used by the club.
The event was considered a sell-out. It was never intended to be any larger than it was.
Nobody seemed much interested in the fact that Rick Santorum’s speech to the economic club, held last week at Cobo, drew roughly one-third the audience.
Was Ford Field the wrong venue? Yes. It’s too big for a rock concert, let alone a political speech.
But that decision was made by the DEC, and was probably influenced by Bill Ford Jr.s position as chairman of the club.
In terms of Detroit Economic Club audiences, this one for Romney ranked as huge. And the crowd on hand seemed more enthusiatic about it than the media.

ryandan on February 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM

To the mormon church, which will be demagogued into history after 2012 is through.
Smart people look in candidates what the independents will see and they will not like mitt romney

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Pandering to the fools who are more concerned with sticking a finger in the eye of the phantom “establishment” so much, they want four more years of Barack Obama…

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Limbaugh lost me with is “vote for Hillary” campaign under ruse of being smart of snarky or whatever…he does go off into fantasy with a tinge of irresponsibility laced in with his common sense, no doubt about it.

Savage and now Levin have just jumped off into Nut-Crazy-Land. What sense they make sometimes is far overruled by the nonsense, some of it destructive, that they’re publishing.

I’ve blocked a few so-called Conservative columnists for similar screed. Can’t stand their negativity and personal attacks on others among the Right, makes me question just who they’re trying to rally.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM

they will not like mitt romney

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM

No, *YOU* don’t like Mitt Romney. That’s the reality of your posts.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

My sentiments, exactly. Limbaugh raging about “the Establishment (this),” “the Establsihment (that), who want (this)…” is absurd. It’s Liberal-Talk, is what it is, it’s absurd mush.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Willard has nothing in common with the middle class

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM

This crap of wanting a president who ” connects with you” is beyond liberal stupid. They may say they feel your pain – but they are lying. You should want a prez that knows how to lead and manage the country. This liberal feel good crap has no place in governing this country- unless you are easily fooled by phony qualifications. Ocommie.

FlaMurph on February 24, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I am not sure many of them would actually care. They seem to dislike social conservatives more than obama…

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Neither of you know what you’re talking about on issues and you seem mostly if not expressly motivated by unusual personal animosity about “Mitt Romney” than anything else.

Social Conservative here, political conservative, economic conservative and religious conservative, too,

signed,
“Lourdes”

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Except you support Romney, who WILL never be president

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Willard has nothing in common with the middle class

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Tell the world just on what, specifically, you make such an allegation. Explain that, if you can.

Do you even KNOW what and who today is “Middle Class” and why you think Romney “has nothing in common with” whoever they are? Because his wife drives two Cadillacs in two different residential locations? Used ones at that (but that’s not really an issue except to Communists who resent the idea that his wife actually has cars and they actually own two homes that they paid for out of their earned wealth).

Check out who Obama calls “middle class” — he’s actually trying to convince some that his lifestyle is sympathetic if not one that “understands” theirs.

You’re an Obama camper, are you not?

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

This is all about you not liking Mitt Romney for your as-yet undisclosed personal reasons.

It’s not about him, it’s not about me, it’s not about “Conservatives,” it’s about you and your animosity for a public figure.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM

And he’s the quote front runner? If so we are “severely screwed” even the chairs they had laid out were empty, but he’s the most electable.

oldmans on February 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Romney, who WILL never be president

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So tell us, Cassandra, what you know from the future.

Lourdes on February 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Willard has nothing in common with the middle class

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

A subjective and narrow point of view.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Oh, give me a break. It’s not like Allah wouldn’t jump all over Mitt if he pretended that he didn’t own a lot of cars or if he bought economy models to try for some “regular guy” cred. That would be stupid and fake and embarrassing. This is actually pretty real.
We’re supposed to be turned off to Romney because he’s a rich guy whose wife bought a Cadillac instead of a Porsche?

Priscilla on February 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Willard has nothing in common with the middle class

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Obama has triple digit lead in Detroit as well. He beats Romney 3 to 1 there head-to-head

liberal4life on February 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Basic Math 101

25 x 3 = 75

liberal4life on February 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Liberal4life has nothing on a 12 year old and math.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Obama has nothing in common with the American soldier.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I dont think anything is wrong with this comment if you look at it in a vacum but when you look at it in the larger picture Romney always seems to make comments that just show him to be a little out of touch.

If your rich, good for you. But when your running for President you should be careful to not come across as bragging. To the people already in his camp these statements may be no big deal but when you hear 3 or 4 statements like this played in a loop it makes him look out of touch.

Maybe Obama does take more vacations and play more golf then the average guy but he doesnt say those things on the campaign trail. He says things people can relate too. His last highly reported quote was him talking about how in another life he wishes he could be watching the Knicks vs Heat game. Thats the kind of thing people are talking about at their local bar, water cooler, gym, etc. Not how many American cars they own, or making large bets or firing people or not caring about the poor, etc, etc, etc

At the end of the day these guys are politicians and the whole point of being a politician is too appeal to as many people as possible. Politicians at this level are so far removed from the plight of the everday citizen thats its not even funny. I dont take any of these guys serious (D or R) but I atleast have a little more respect for the ones who do a good job pretending they care about us average folk

Politricks on February 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Basic Math 101

25 x 3 = 75

liberal4life on February 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Liberal4life has nothing on a 12 year old and math.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Let’t try the 4ratic equation.
-3 +/- the square root of Romney / 2 x 25

= ZERO

Something in the premise brings us to the conclusion.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I have 4 cars, too. Well, one’s a diesel tractor. But so what?

Gonna make something about it, Liberal4life?

georgej on February 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Priscilla on February 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM

No but because he sucks at politics and cant win elections

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

You all do realize that Ann Romney’s 2007 and 2010 Cadillacs together do not cost as much as Tricky Ricky’s Audi, right? She keeps one in California and one in Massachusetts. They sell for between $36,000 and $44,000. Not exactly high end vehicles, even if they do have the Cadillac name. And Mitt Romney drives an almost 8 year old Mustang.

I think people need to look a little harder for their anti-Romney talking points. And at least he buys American, something neither Tricky Ricky or Newt seem to care to do with their fancy Audi and Mercedes.

BTW, Mitt got the endorsement of Michigan Tea Party leaders today too.

Pal2Pal on February 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

No but because he sucks at politics and cant win elections

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Ok, now we’re talking. That’s a reason to be turned off to him. I disagree, of course, but you’re at least talking sense.

Priscilla on February 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM

The liberal media and the democrats are chomping at the bit to show just how out of touch with average Americans Mitt is. Even Newt and Perry went after him with class warfare. King of Bain, anyone?

Just a few examples of Mitt’s disconnect:

“I’ll bet you 10,000 dollars.”

“I like firing people.”

“I don’t care about the poor.”

“Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs.”

fight like a girl on February 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM

I used to take my boat there when I lived in FL.

jaime on February 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Even Newt and Perry went after him with class warfare. King of Bain, anyone?

More of a sad commentary on class envy than evidence of disconnect.

Priscilla on February 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Pal2Pal on February 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Where do you live that an Audi costs 80,000 dollars?

fight like a girl on February 25, 2012 at 12:05 AM

OMG – next thing we’re going to find out about Romney is that he is wealthy!!

gatorboy on February 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I didn’t say they wouldn’t try. In fact, I said whoever they would successfully influence with this, is someone who would vote for Obama anyway.

Do you really believe that we should worry about every word that we say, for fear that we might give the left something to try to make hay out of? If you do, then I’d say you are part of the problem.

JannyMae on February 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em

Thank you Gov. Romney for helping out a fellow American.

You owning four American cars makes up for me not owning any.

rukiddingme on February 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Priscilla on February 25, 2012 at 12:02

I was referring to Romney’s disconnect with the middle class as evidenced by what he has said.

fight like a girl on February 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

We do need someone to to tell the truth about Obama.

Who did you have in mind?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I really wasn’t making a point about Romney, who I do not support. I was making a general point about how “we,” as conservatives and Republicans, shouldn’t have to worry about the left exploiting what we say, and we should be able to tell the truth, a point which you apparently agree with. You were the one making a point about Romney, which I don’t necessarily disagree with. :)

I just don’t get the people who get their knickers in a twist every time a Republican makes a simple statement like this, worrying about how the left will exploit it. I never have. The people who believe all the Democrat talking points about conservatives and Republicans won’t be swayed by any smooth-talking good-old-boy. Anybody who doesn’t believe them, knows better. There is only so much “exploiting” that the lieberals will get away with.

JannyMae on February 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM

fight like a girl on February 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Sorry. Those distorted quotes you posted are not examples of Romney and anything.

JannyMae on February 25, 2012 at 12:22 AM

No but because he sucks at politics and cant win elections

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM

That’s another allegation from you that’s been utterly disproven by reality. Romney’s campaigning/”politics” has been successful, especially in comparison with other candidates among the GOP. Since he’s already won elections, that second allegation is also disproven by reality.

Lourdes on February 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Except you support Romney, who WILL never be president

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I’ve also supported and will be available to still support Santorum if he’s nominated. Are you bothered by Catholics as much as you are by that darned Mormon Church?

Lourdes on February 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM

fight like a girl on February 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Hmm…a shared copy’n'pasted meme being repeated by you, by Flapjack. Where did you hear this such that you’re now repeating it in comments? Something about “the middle class” and Romney allegedly “not being in touch with” them…yet no one’s defined just who “them” are.

Who do YOU think is “the middle class” and what specifically do you mean by Romney not being “in touch with” “them”?

Lourdes on February 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

fight like a girl on February 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I understand that. But if conservatives are going to traffic in class envy and warfare, we have already lost. Even if you oppose him, attacking Romney because he is not middle-class, or doesn’t “connect” with the middle class is foolhardy.

Priscilla on February 25, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Lourdes on February 25, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Except he has lost every election of his life except for one? That doesnt count? He is already crashed with indies and he hasnt even been nominated. He should go back to the kids table. Dont let the romney colored glasses clog your vision

Flapjackmaka on February 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM