Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em

posted at 9:25 pm on February 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Pundit & Pundette and Mark Steyn. The money line (no pun intended): “Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.” Problem or not? Every time he says something that alludes to his wealth, however inadvertently, I have the same argument with myself:

– Damn, that’s a red-meat soundbite for Obama’s class-warfare campaign this fall.
– Oh, shut up. Stop playing the left’s game by scolding Romney for his success.
– I’m not scolding him. He worked hard for his money. He’s entitled to enjoy his wealth. But not all swing voters agree, so why force the issue?
– Maybe more swing voters would agree if you quit whining about “optics” and defended his right to enjoy his wealth instead.
– You’re not going to talk people out of class resentment. It is what it is. Accept it as a political fact of life and deal.
– Betamalesayswhat?
– Huh?
– Betamalesayswhat?
– What?
– Exactly.

How’s this for a compromise: We’ll let Romney slide on talking about his many luxury cars if his campaign promises never again to hold an event in a giant stadium that’s 95 percent empty. Deal?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em

Another reason to regard Romney as an imbecile.

Anyone with an ounce of sense that wants to keep a car for more than 40K miles buys Japanese.

Mr Galt on February 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

nothing wrong with a couple of cadillacs to my ears

thedevilinside on February 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

And I own two. So what?

*ok, ok, one’s a rusty ’59 Nash, and the other’s a Pinto, but it’s still two cars*

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

AP,Thanks for the laugh!

tbrickert on February 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Who is running this campaign? Anybody with half a brain would never schedule a speech at an empty stadium. What are they thinking?

Mark1971 on February 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

What the hell is it with the trees being the right height? Isn’t this the second time he’s babbled about that?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Go Team Santorum!!! 2012

multiuseless on February 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

If I would love snot…Mitt would love snot!

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM

“Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.” Problem or not?

Well, as long as she isn’t driving them both at the same time…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I’m no Romney fan, but this is a non-issue. The guy was successful… good for him. It’s his “the trees are just the right height” talking point that sounds strange to me.

Utica681 on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Mr Galt on February 24, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Or German. I’m torn because I agree with the need for production in this country but I’m convinced by experience that American cars are crap. At least the newer models.

BakerAllie on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

BTW–How many airplanes does John Travolta own?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Cant wait for the polls after this and santorums policy speech today was fantastic

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Please go back on your meds AP.

ronval912 on February 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I’m driving a 1994 Ford Ranger, Mitt. Is that a problem?

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Utica681 on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I think that when he is president, he will dictate that all trees must be the same size as those in Michigan.

philoquin on February 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

“Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.”

Though for Mitt from the beginning, I get an Imelda Marcos vibe with this quote. Doubly bad since the quote doesn’t show that Ann will make a great First Lady.

Paul-Cincy on February 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM

“Ann drives a couple of Cadillacs, actually.”

What ?
No chauffeur ?
The Mooch laughs her A off at the Romneys ;-)

burrata on February 24, 2012 at 9:34 PM

BTW–How many airplanes does John Travolta own?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Yes, but unlike rich Hollywood actors, rich businessmen don’t deserve their money.

philoquin on February 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Well, I guess it’s several steps up from promising to bail them out, like he did four years ago.

When you’re running to the left of John McCain, you have a problem.

HitNRun on February 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Sometimes, it seem’s he really doesn’t have a clue. How did a Bush ever get elected? However, I’m still voting for “I know nothing of your pain” than “pain is the way your must live”.

What we need is someone who has actually balanced a national budget, who was resposnible with taxpayer money, who for the first time in decades paid down the debt. But that was Newt… and he sucks… or something.

Hog Wild on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

philoquin on February 24, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Dang! I keep forgetting that.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Romney: I love American cars so much, I own four of ‘em

Good soundbite from Mitt, finally. This is how a successful American is supposed to talk. I hate people who are ashamed of the success they’ve had. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that Mittens doesn’t get an earful from someone and apologize for this statement, which is a very good one.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

BakerAllie on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

German’s great, but it costs a fortune to have them worked on.

Definitely gotta go with the Japanese, for the money.

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2012 at 9:36 PM

You expected the Detroit Economic club to fill a stadium?

whatcat on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

?
(for someone who is absent)…Hang in there Newt !!!!!

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

sniff. i wuv american cars too. saab is american now/then, right?

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Could you have at least propped up Ford in that speech? They didn’t take the bailout after all.

nobar on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

His wife drives a couple of Cadillacs as well.

He has zero connection to the middle class because he was NEVER a middle.
Doesn’t understand what it means to be poor. He has been privilege his whole life, even managed to dodged the draft as well

Mr Robot has no charisma as well. He stands no chance come November

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

so this is the guy the elites have chosen.

grab yer pitchforks men.

renalin on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

does anyone really believe this guy is the next president?

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I own 2 cars, I guess I am halfway there to be filthy rich.

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

If the charge is rich people have a lot of cars. So what? I like having rich people where I live. The car wash does more business and so does the local car repair shop. The local government gets taxes and the vehicles need gas to run. People make a living off the gas vending and we buy Slurpees while we’re inside paying for the gas.

The problem is the guy in the White House bound and determined to force the car you need to drive down our throat. (How many thousand Volts are getting pushed on GE employees?) And the guy in the White House seemingly on a never ending crusade to drive the price of that gas up. There’s the story.

If I were a Candidate, I’d call the PM of Canada and tell him to wait for me to get elected and I’d make Keystone my first fancy pen giveaway party. On Inauguration Day I’d fricken do it.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

You expected the Detroit Economic club to fill a stadium?

whatcat on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

No, I don’t expect them to fill a stadium. Why is this being held in a stadium, then?

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I own 8 of them. I have four kids, all drivers. I have another child as a ward who will be driving age soon. I also have to have a vehicle, and so does my husband for work each day. Then I have 2 of them that are in restoration-project cars for hubby and sons. All Romney has to do is point out that people have to get to school,and work each day and need to have their own cars to get there. I’m not a millionaire but this is stupid to try to hit him with. I;m no Romney fan but the stupid in this hurts.Now can we discuss Michelle’s 16 vacations in less than 4 years?

canditaylor68 on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Bullcrap John. Go with Ford, for the quality.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

?
(for someone who is absent)…Hang in there Newt !!!!!

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Again…with feeling: HANG IN THERE NEWT!!!!!

See, Santorum knocks Romney out of the race then Santorum flames out leaving only Newt and the lamentation of their weemon! There can be only one!

It’s my cunning plan….

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

A rising tide lifts all boats.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Because someone expected to fill it.

What do I win?

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

What? No Rambler?

faraway on February 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Well give the man some credit, at least he didn’t have styrofoam pillars./

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I’ve got 4 cars….
2 of them are on cinder blocks….for years…

Electrongod on February 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Of course you all realize that when Barry is out of office he will ride a bicycle everywhere he goes.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don’t have a problem with Romney’s wealth that he shies away from, but eagerly love to talk about. Its his outright lies that I have a problem with. Romney lied at the last debate

In the Republican Presidential debate Wednesday evening at about 8:50pm or so, former Gov. Mitt Romney said he never infringed on the rights of Catholics as governor of Massachusetts by requiring the Catholic Church to provide morning-after pills to rape victims–it was “entirely voluntary” on the part of the Catholic Church.

That is simply not true.

Here’s the Fact Check On Romney

Kini on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

With no seat.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Jeb Bush to apologize for these gas guzzlers in 3-2-1

faraway on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Utica681 on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

That is strange considering the first time he used it didn’t work too well.

From The Hill

The former Massachusetts governor also repeated a line that has been the butt of jokes by late-night comedians — that Michigan has good-sized trees.

“This feels good, being back in Michigan,” he said. “The trees are the right height. The streets are just right.”

Flora Duh on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

nobar on February 24, 2012 at 9:39 PM

He said he has a Mustang, too. Great quote by Mitt. Like someone said earlier, this is how a real businessman should talk – and not be apologetic. How many cars does Jay Leno own, by the way?

jan3 on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Which one of these two people have seen poverty first hand?

-A Harvard grad who went to work in the inner cities of Chicago as a community organizer helping poor minorities/Americans get on their feet

OR

-A Harvard grad who went to work for a private equity firm. Bankrupted companies and shoves his wealth in the face of the poor man and also talks about how he despises and doesn’t care about the poor?

I hope Romney brings up Obama being a community organizer in the general election. Most Americans identify with poor folks than they do with rich folks because MOST Americans have been poor before…only the 1% are rich.

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Have ya been to Detroit? At least you can secure Ford Field from gunfire fairly easily.

And it’s not like the Lions are going to be playing ball anytime soon. They probably got it for a song.

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

2 of them are on cinder blocks….for years…

Electrongod on February 24, 2012 at 9:43 PM

And you’re renting them out as apartments to illegals, right? Whaddaya get per month?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Bullcrap John. Go with Ford, for the quality.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I’m driving a 1994 Ford Ranger, about 240,000 miles. No air conditioning, no power windows but I do have a cassette player.

Whooo Hoooo!

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Race between Romney and Santorum to see who can be more tone deaf.

Go Newt or Paul or Sweet Meteor of Death!

cool breeze on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Romney is the definition of a ROBOT. Zero Charisma

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:46 PM

With no seat.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:44 PM

And a big smile.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Bullcrap John. Go with Ford, for the quality.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Cars maybe. The jury is still out for the (F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily trucks.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I believe his tax returns shows he can buy one or two cars each year…trade them in the next year for newer ones…all I see here is envy….

rich801 on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

?
(for someone who is absent)…Hang in there Newt !!!!!

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Again…with feeling: HANG IN THERE NEWT!!!!!

It’s my cunning plan….

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

What I can’t understand…

… of all the stump speeches, why rehash this one?

Well, maybe I can…

… HANG IN THERE NEWT!!!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It was a Groupon daily special. Mittens had to jump on it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Don’t own any, but I have ridden in one.

HerneTheHunter on February 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Whooo Hoooo!

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I bought my wife a Ranger last year and I just got the F150 with the V6 Ecoboost last month. I love it. Love the Media button and voice command.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

The RNC is hellbent on getting Romney nominated. That in itself is enough to push me to Santorum, even though I don’t need pushed.

Norky on February 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Why would any sane person have “grown up in poverty” as a litmus test for their presidential candidate? It’s delusional noble savage talk.

jan3 on February 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Newt/Perry sounding better all the time.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM

I remember when I had an American car . . .

Standing on the side of the road, waiting for the tow truck, mainly.

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Funny stuff.

netster007x on February 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Cars maybe. The jury is still out for the (F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily trucks.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Are you serious? The F series trucks are the best selling most successful truck on the market now. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting one.

(Sorry Allah)

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Hate the rich! Is that the message now? Owning 4 American luxury cars means people had work and paid their bills and took their families to dinner. The company that hired the engineers and management teams that produced the cars got to tell their shareholders… that’s everyone if you use a bank, have insurance, a retirement program… hey the cars are selling; business is good! No matter how far in the tank you are for Santorum you will have to admit this is a stupid criticism or a guy that had the discipline to carry a double major at Harvard… easy ones like – business and law, who went into business at Bane and then WAS the business at Bane – My point is HEY he earned it! Good for him!

BobScuba on February 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Cars maybe. The jury is still out for the (F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily trucks.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Ok, I should have asked what you drive.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Am I mistaken, or was Hot Air kind of intelligent not so long ago?

carl todd hand on February 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

burrata on February 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Has to be a photoshop. The mooselimbs luv him, remember?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It was the host club that selected the arena. But why the campaign agreed to it without assuring that there will be a lot of attendees is beyond me. It was bad visuals.

galtani on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

He had a Mustang GT convertible and Mrs. Had a CTS.

The Ford was (is?) one of the cool things in his life and he looked like a very hard working guy with an indulgence he was enjoying.

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I love Ford Rangers. So honest.

Two wheel drive — good gas. Four wheel climbs like a Jeep. Cab and a hald good for junk or little kids like nephews whom you take fishing. And they sat sideways! They still talk about that truck!

Go on Picincs..hunting..gooood times…

IlikedAUH2O on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

What I can’t understand…

… of all the stump speeches, why rehash this one?

Well, maybe I can…

… HANG IN THERE NEWT!!!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Oh my. “Ten minutes to Wapner…Wapner…ten minutes…K-Mart sucks.”

Overcoached much Willard?

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Whooo Hoooo!

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

A 1995 with 170K, here. No AC either. You give us hope.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

BTW–How many airplanes does John Travolta own?

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Barbarino has 5 private jets. Including a Boeing 707.

Del Dolemonte on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Want to have some fun…?

Watch this, then go back and watch the clip at the top of the thread again.

I didn’t think it could increase the “cringe worthyness” of Mittens any more…

… but it does!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You would think a guy with four luxury cars could afford a few ten dollar bills to get a few hundred peoples to come to his speechifying, or did he had out all his tens to pack the audience at the SEENN debate?

This is just the clueless mofo we need to run against the Occutards and professional baby makers with their Obamaphones.

Good plan Establishment, good plan.

I’m buyin more food, clothing and ammo.

ConcealedKerry on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Cars maybe. The jury is still out for the (F)ix (O)r (R)epair (D)aily trucks.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:47 PM

See my post above. 1994 Ford Ranger with a little over 240,000 miles. Five speed, no air. Still runs like a top.

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

burrata on February 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Probably not a great picture to link to. I see your point though. And evidently, so did he.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It’s Detroit we’re talking about. Gangs. UAW. There was no place safer unless he held the rally in a police precinct headquarters. Detroit’s a dangerous place.

jan3 on February 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Romney owns 4 Cars. What an a*shole. I condemn him harshly for his excess and candor this SOB should be ashamed of being rich. Oh sorry, thought this was a Conservative blog.

AYNBLAND on February 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I think he meant …

(F)irst
(O)n
(R)ace
(D)ay

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM

jan3 on February 24, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Having a connection to a President in some instances is what wins elections.

John Kerry is worth Millions thanks to his wife, John Edwards was worth Millions thanks to him being a former trial attorney. That ticket was doomed from the start.
I know this might come a shock to you but most Americas dont identify with millionaires who flaunt their wealth in the face of the poor man especially during hard economic times.

“I do not care about the poor”-Willard

Too rich, too out of touch

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Still runs like a top.

JPeterman on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

So it just spins around? I keed, I keed. I was raised to hate Fords. I was raised wrong.

29Victor on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Romney would’ve done a lot better if he had said, and if it were true, “My wife and I only drive American cars, and one of them is going to be on the track at the Daytona 500 this weekend.”

TXUS on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Which one of these two people have seen poverty first hand?

OR

liberal4life on February 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

The one who has a brother living in a cardboard box. What do I win?

BTW, why doesn’t Barky help George out? The guy lives on $100/year. Moochelle eats more than $100 worth of food-like stuff for her regular Wednesday afternoon gorge-fest. I mean, tell me again who would have a brother living in a friggin cardboard box and not do something about it. That’s just sick. Typical for you despicable, lying scumbags, though.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

My family has three. Does that mean I’d be considered a rich elitist if I ran for president?

Talk about a nothing-burger. *rolling eyes*

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

People who are concerned about what other people have are unsatisfied with their own lives and unsatisfied with the riches they have. And if they live in America, they are truly blessed with riches that 99.9% of people who have ever lived have gone without.

In short, petty jealousy in children is sad, in adults it’s pathetic.

NoDonkey on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Good link Kini.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

+10

JannyMae on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:55 PM

This was in Afghanistan , yesterday after Obama apologized .
I just want everyone to see it .
It is halal ….so it must be OK ..I think ..:P

burrata on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Ok, I should have asked what you drive.

hawkdriver on February 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM

A 1995 with

170K, here. No AC either. You give us hope.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Our current family fleet does not discriminate. (F)ound (o)n (R)oad (D)ead was a common phrase thrown at Tin Henry lovers in th 90′s when Cummins was kickin butt with Chevy.

egmont on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The one who has a brother living in a cardboard box. What do I win?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 24, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Barry’s counting on Aunt Zeituni (sp?) to send him a monthly stipend out of her welfare check. You know, the one she shouldn’t be getting since she’s not here legally.

predator on February 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Hey, where’s that Mercury chick that all guys went ga-ga for and received tons of marriage proposals? She made cars look good.

Nevermind. They’re being phased out!!!!

ProudPalinFan on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I thought I was reading a Conservative site, but judging by the author’s comments, I am guess he writes for the Huffington Post? He is some one who obviously has a hard time accepting that some one has the right to earn and spend their money as they wish. And believe me, if Mitt drove a Rolls Royce, this author would really be slamming’em.

By the way…Mitt could have a fleet of Rolls Royces is he wished, it says a lot of about his character that he drives American cars!

mark cantu on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Dont forget the whole tree height thing. What a maroon. He might’ve lost MI today

Flapjackmaka on February 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM