Richard Dawkins: Actually, I’m not sure that God doesn’t exist

posted at 5:40 pm on February 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

Go on. Laugh it up. Twist the knife in my heart.

Seriously, though, he’s making a banal point here — banal enough that I’ve made it myself repeatedly when arguing with readers in our comment threads. Having one of the world’s most prominent atheists admit he’s not totally sure is catnip for believers, but all he’s doing is being a conscientious skeptic. Every atheist is technically an agnostic; the distinction in the labels is largely the degree of confidence with which one’s concluded that there’s no God. Since there’s no way to conclusively prove that God doesn’t exist, no one can correctly claim absolute confidence. That’s all Dawkins is getting at, per his point that he’s a 6.9 on his own seven-point scale of doubt. I’d guesstimate that most people between, say, four and six call themselves “agnostic” while anyone beyond six self-identifies as “atheist.” Point is, you can never quite get to seven, just as virtually any conscientious believer will admit that they’re not quite at one. Which of course is why they’re called “believers,” not “knowers.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 11

I am sure that he does exist, my only argument has ever been of his nature.

Grunt on February 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

there is no bearded man in the sky, people! the bible is a work of fiction written by near-cavemen to control people, get with the times already!

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I’m sure he didn’t mean God, God.

I know with absolute certainty that God exists.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

At least he wasn’t wearing a zombie outfit, he would have received a lot of angry looks.

tommer74 on February 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Agnostics aren’t as dickish as Dawkins. Atheists can keep him.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Then everyone who claims to be an atheist is just lying to themselves. They should really say they’re “very strong agnostics.”

True atheism would be “I’m 100% sure that all world religions are false.”

Dawkins likes to talk about fairies in the garden? Well, I’m 110% sure that fairies in the garden don’t exist. If you want to chide me for being so sure of something that I can’t “prove,” well, go ahead and call me a fairy-denier.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

So, you’re just a clever animal that can type?

RBMN on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Richard Dawkins: Actually, I’m not sure that God doesn’t exist

OK, but was does Richard Dawson think? Also I think HA already covered this important subject on the AM shift.

arnold ziffel on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

This guy appears to be a 7.

amerpundit on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

But enough about Karl Marx already.

BKennedy on February 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Who said God has a beard? You really shouldn’t get all of your theology from Monty Python movies.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

dawkins has made the point in the past. i think he’s always said that he’s a 6.9 out of 7 on his scale.

and he’s right, no one knows for certain one way or the other as know one has proven that god or gods exist or that they do not exist.

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Except many of the militant atheists behave as if they do believe in God and are very angry with him all the while saying he doesn’t exist. I think agnostics are the ones with less faith than either the radical atheists, or the faithful.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I know with absolute certainty that God exists.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I know he doesn’t! you know why? same reason they have never caught a ghost on “Ghost Hunters” or found a sasquatch on “Finding Bigfoot”…..

Because god does not exist!!!!!

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM

He’s always said he was a 6.9 before, not sure why its news now. Belief is not a line graph from theisn to agnostic to atheism. It’s more of a compass.

mythicknight on February 24, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hear, hear! I am absolutely certain myself that ghosts do not exist. I am a solid 7/7 on that point. Boy, atheists sure are wishy-washy.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Which of course is why they’re called “believers,” not “knowers.”

I like that :-)

ulyses on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

This is the shell-game that Atheists play to hide the contradiction inherent in their religion.

AbaddonsReign on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

“militant ath

what exactly is a “militant” or “radical” atheist again? I’m pretty sure it’s not the same as a militant or radical religious person who kills people for burning a book…

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

True atheism would be “I’m 100% sure that all world religions are false.”

Well, atheism is more ambitious than that. We don’t believe that there may be a God but no faith yet invented has quite gotten to the essence of him. We believe there’s no God at all.

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Nothing new, he wrote the same thing in The God Delusion.

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Allahpundit hardest hit.

rbj on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

98% of Atheists are dicks. Our resident atheists(Ok no AP) are proof.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Except the Religious Atheist – wherein Atheism is their religion.

batterup on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

So, you’re just a clever animal that can type?

RBMN on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Aren’t we all?

Inverness on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

True atheism would be “I’m 100% sure that all world religions are false.”

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Why is it that believers STILL cannot look up a definition of what atheism is? I mean seriously, its beyond ridiculous how many times us atheists have to explain what atheism is to you. Atheism is the LACK of a belief in God. Thats it. Atheism is not being 100% sure there is no God, because that is impossible. So its impossible for an atheist to say that they are 100% sure that all world religions are false.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Typical. “Hey guize look at me, I admit that I fail at logic and I’m gonna tell errybody bout it, I don’t curr whether I’m right or not.”

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Yet for their beliefs you treat people with such derision.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If Dawkins were an Atheist, there would be no need for discussion of the matter.

OldEnglish on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.
CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Where’d you get your statistics from, the toilet store?

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I am pretty sure they are!

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Well then, the Freedom From Religion Foundation is awfully confident. They’re the most arrogant motherf**kers that lay claim to the “atheist” label.

MadisonConservative on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Such hubris that you claim to know the ENTIRETY of the universe and can make such claims. Fancy yourself a God in your own right do you?

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Look at me!

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

If God did not exist, Richard Dawkins would have to invent him for fear of slipping into mediocrity with the rest of us.

BKennedy on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I am pretty sure they are!
sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Oh?

killing in the name of religion = ????

killing in the name of marxism = DEM EVIL ATHEISTS!

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Lee Strobel was where these atheists were. Many of you might know his story. For those that don’t, he was a Chicago Tribune investigative reporter. He sought out to once and for all prove that Jesus wasn’t the son of God.

That story is documented in the book and film “The Case for Christ”.

He’s now one of the foremost Christian authors of our time.

Watch “The Case for Christ”, and keep your mind open.

kirkill on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Where’d you get your statistics from, the toilet store?

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Wow good comeback./

The toilet store. Slapping my knee.

Thanks for proving me right btw.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Straw man fallacy; rather, Straw God. No believers I know confuse God with Santa Claus.

troyriser_gopftw on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Look at me!

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Exactly. A d*ck.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.
CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Yes, that is why the prison population is so full of athei . . . . oh wait, I was thinking of the scientific community.

If all atheists left America, we would lose 93% of the National Academy of Sciences, but less than 1% of the prison population.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

We believe there’s no God at all.

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I don’t even consider the question, so no belief required.

OldEnglish on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

killing in the name of marxism = DEM EVIL ATHEISTS!

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Let us compare the numbers. Not even close.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

why are there so many religions? and which one is the right one? yours? why? because an old book tells u so? they can’t ALL be right but they sure can ALL be false!

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

God works in mysterious ways and Richard Dawkins is just a mystery.

ajacksonian on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Put me down for a 1.0, thanks. It may be impossible for me to conclusively and empirically prove the existence of our Creator to someone else. My awareness of Him daily permits no doubt.

Freelancer on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Cue: ¨We Are The Walrus¨

james hooker on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

At least we’d be rid of the Global Warming Cultists – the preferred religion of most atheists.

BKennedy on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM

A god? No. Convinced of a thing? Yes. But it doesn’t bother me that someone would take exception to my point of my view. My disinterest in ghosts is so complete I don’t care. If people want to waste their time searching for ghosts, be my guest. No skin off my back because ghosts don’t exist anyways.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

look, all i know is that it’s friday and that beavers are fish, so i can eat them for lent

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Either God is God, or man is God.

Much easier to think yourself a god, and do whatever you feel like, than to admit you are small and need to worship something bigger than yourself.

99.9% if not a full 100% of Christians have tried the thinking themselves god at some point in their life.

kirkill on February 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

One word can change that assertion to its opposite.

OldEnglish on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Let us compare the numbers. Not even close.
CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Compare the numbers between what, exactly? How many people have killed in the name of atheism? Enlighten me.

Or we can compare actual numbers. IQ of atheists is much higher than believers, especially southern hick Christians (ie. Newt/Santorum supporters). The crime rate of atheists is much lower than Christians. The level of education of atheists is much higher than Christians. Should I go on?

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

In an interesting kind of circular logic, anyone who says that they are 100% sure that God does not exist is expressing an article of faith. Remember, it is logically impossible to prove a negative beyond any doubt.
It doesn’t matter whether we’re talking about “bearded old white men in the sky” or “Fairies in the garden” or bigfoot or aliens or whatever. Nobody can “prove” that something doesn’t exist.

Lew on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

This post proves God exists. Also proof? Christina Hendricks.

Maxpower on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Look at me!

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I don’t know if you meant that to be funny but it is.

darwin on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Takes faith to be a believer.
Takes faith to be an atheist.

BVM on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

98% of atheists are d!cks that is for sure. Plenty of proof here at HA.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 5:51 PM

It just seems that way because the militant atheists never shut up. They are like the worst of religious preachers going on and on about what they don’t believe and wanting you to not believe it either.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

What I find so utterly crazy, is the notion that the universe, somehow just appeared.

And then, once the Earth formed all by itself, and all the minerals… and then, life.

Through the random interaction of non-living material, life sprung from the soup. A hardy creature emerged, able to endure all the harsh changes to our atmosphere and planet. This creature either developed an ability to eat, and reproduce or came into our world with innate abilities. I like the innate ability personally. I mean, if we’re going to full on fantasy, we might as well make it good.

ThankGod goodnessfully, our little friend didn’t drown or fall victim to an act of God more random happenstance and somehow die. What are the odds that this could happen twice, let alone once? Infinitesimal? Wait, is there such a thing?

I mean seriously. A creator? Don’t be ridiculous.

Fish on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012

Errr you proved me wrong…well wait a minute. Not really. Where did you learn to prove or disprove someone’s contention?

Oh and do you not know plenty of dic*ks who have never done anything criminal? Knowing you and your nastiness I bet you do.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Takes faith to be an atheist.
BVM on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Does it take faith for you to not believe in invisible fairies?

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Thank you for your made up numbers. Now go play in the street while the adults have a conversation.

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

What I find so utterly crazy, is the notion that the universe God, somehow just appeared.
Fish on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yeah, I know, right.

It makes perfect sense to believe an omnipotent and omniscient being has always existed for eternity without cause.

PS – God of the gaps arguments are fails.

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yes I know it is not really 98% but if you read the rants of self professed atheists here one would have to think that number is close.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I think the dickish atheists are that way just because they also happen to be libertarian.

Oh, and your mom is a zombie.

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

takes faith to assume your religion is the right one. christians are atheists too, just towards all other god(s) that they don’t believe in as all other religions don’t believe in the christian god so they are atheists towards the bible god.

seems to me that if you want to make sure you’re covered, hedge your bets and believe and practice in every religion and every belief in the world. that should cover you.

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Go on. Laugh it up. Twist the knife in my heart.

Why not? Atheists don’t have a problem doing it every year around Christmas time. And then they deny that they do it.

cicerone on February 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Lord on February 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Too bad being a smartass, a jerkass, and an overeducated zealot tend to result in low emotional intelligence and near-zero persuasiveness. It must be nice to live in such a gullible bubble. As long as God isn’t attached to it, atheists will sign on to anything that remotely carries the imprimatur of “science” or is sufficiently credentialed. Especially if it involves cool experiments like eugenics, global warming, population control, command economy, need I go on or do you get the picture yet?

The problem with atheists isn’t specific knowledge, they tend to specialize in their own little universe of study. It’s that they completely lack wisdom and discernment.

BKennedy on February 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Going to talk to your invisible friend?

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Takes faith to be a believer.
Takes faith to be an atheist.

BVM on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

It takes no faith to not have a belief in something. Doesn’t take faith to not have a belief in unicorns and dragons. Its the logical position to not believe in something until you have evidence for their existence. There is absolutely ZERO evidence of a God, so the logical position is to not believe.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Mathematics, that was the other thing that made me a believer. The main thing was seeing the positive change in so many broken people when they embraced our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

kirkill on February 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

I mean seriously. A creator? Don’t be ridiculous.

Fish on February 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Don’t forget the part when he created cancer for children and old people defecating themselves.

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Oh, and your mom is a zombie.

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Could be true and there is certainly a lot of commonality between them.

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I used to think that. Then I started looking around and trying to understand things.

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

The atheists keep proving their “dickishness” over and over on this thread.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You sure seem angry with a God that doesn’t exist?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Go on. Laugh it up. Twist the knife in my heart.

Why because you are so sure that you are right that everybody else is wrong?

I am a Christian. Do I believe everything the Bible says is true without question?- No. As an example, the accounts of the size of Noah’s Ark makes that impossible. But I am unwilling to say that there isn’t a higher being just because I hate organized religion. I do believe in God, I do believe that the accounts of Christ walking the earth is more than mythology or lore. As anybody of faith, I’m unsure what God is calling me to do and what his plan is for me. But I’m trying to live my life according to His will and respecting the doctrine put forth by the Bible.

Seriously, you might just be wrong but more importantly, why do you think you have the right to attack Christians for not joining you in your own beliefs. You might, again might, be a decent human being (based on the fact that people like MM have included you in this discussion) But I truly hate you when you attack those of faith for no other reason than the fact that you have none. And you just attack the faithful you seek to humiliate them and demean them. And then you start some thread about tolerance for sodomites. You are a hypocrite of the worst sort since you have a forum.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

“Since there’s no way to conclusively prove that God doesn’t exist, no one can correctly claim absolute confidence.”

I’m not sure about that Allah…

… I watched my son grow from when he was born 5 weeks premature clinging to life, to the firecracker of a kid with boundless energy, who is so easy to laugh and smile, with a light in his eyes, and those special kisses on the cheek.

I thank God for him everyday…

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The atheists keep proving their “dickishness” over and over on this thread.

CW on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

as do the faith stricken

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Darwin’s Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution

Michael J. Beha

A good read

tank_killer69 on February 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You sure seem angry with a God that doesn’t exist?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Indeed. Just about all of the atheists who post here are actually anti-theists.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

We believe there’s no God at all.

Allahpundit on February 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM

This is not a rhetorical question, AP. if you believe there is no God (with a capital G), do atheists have true faith in anything of this earth?

While I can not literally prove God’s existence, I walk by faith. If I didn’t have faith, I would be bereft of hope in the most difficult times of my life. If you have no faith, again, not a rhetorical question, how do you have hope?

herm2416 on February 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Indeed. Just about all of the atheists who post here are actually anti-theists.

NotCoach on February 24, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I am an anti-theist as well.

Pablo Honey on February 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Actually the numbers are not made up at all. But your disbelief shows embarrassment, which you should be if you are religious.

Among members of the National Academy of Sciences, 7.0% expressed personal belief, while 72.2% expressed disbelief and another 20.8% were agnostic concerning the existence of a personal god who answers prayer.

As of 1997, the Federal Bureau of Prisons statistics showed .21% of inmates were atheists.

Almost 84% were Christians. Good job Christians.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

“I do believe, but help me overcome my unbelief!”

Conservative_Hippie on February 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

i prefer the term dickery to dickishness.

SparkPlug on February 24, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Which of course is why they’re called “believers,” not “knowers.”

Though I recall you making a big deal about Mother Teresa’s private moments of doubt, which I would argue is even slightly different than being a 1.1, as the later is more of a constant state.

I have moments of doubts but so many more moments of absolute certainty. But that’s because I have more than just my philosophy. I have experiences. But there is no atheist equivalent. There’s no communing (real or imagined) with a lack of gods. So even if we’re both full of it, believers are reinforcing their beliefs with something arguably more tangible. It changes the way we think of belief.

Esthier on February 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Awesome. +1

newtopia on February 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Allahpundit,

If you really just coined the term “knowers” with respect to someone believing their religion, I’d like your permission to use that term. It’s quite clever and to the point. Brevity constraints may make attribution clumsy in the venue I’m thinking of using it.

I’m serious.

Pythagoras on February 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Atheism is as irrationalistic in its certainty of a Negative as theism is in its certainty of a Positive.

Only agnosticism is honest about the limitations of the human mind’s ability to comprehend the Ineffable, Infinite and Eternal

profitsbeard on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

You sure seem angry with a God that doesn’t exist?

sharrukin on February 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

That’s always perplexed me. If one doesn’t believe in God, what is the rationale in expending time and energy attacking and mocking people who do?

darwin on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I’m not sure about that Allah…

I thank God for him everyday…

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

You should probably thank the doctors and modern science. It wasn’t God keeping your child alive in the hospital. Unless of course I am completely wrong and you did a home birth and just relied on prayer.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

The atheists closet agnostics on this thread are splitting a hair to such a degree that you’d need an electron microscope to see it. The difference between 99.999% belief and 100% belief is so small that it’s not even worth discussing. If you’re too much of a coward to assert with 100% certainty that God is false, that’s your problem, not mine.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

No, not all atheists are agnostics. Most atheists say “I don’t believe in any gods or God” thus making them anti-Theist. You can’t have your cake and eat it to.

Sammo21 on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM

DBear on February 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM

It’s funny and sad how simplistic some people are.

Try this: God is a verb.

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on February 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Take a walk in any public garden in San Francisco and I can guarantee that you will find some fairies.

PrettyD_Vicious on February 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM

pedestrian on February 24, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Oh, and instead of actually learning how things really worked you just said, “God did it” and everything made sense? What is something you saw and understood that convinced you of God? And if you say the moon or tides I am literally going to crap myself laughing at you. Seriously Bill Oreilly made himself look like a freaking idiot doing that already.

thphilli on February 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM

darwin on February 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM
FTFY – That’s always perplexed me. If one does believe in God, what is the rationale in expending time and energy attacking and mocking people who don’t?

kastor on February 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM