Poll: Pennsylvania’s perking up for Rick Santorum; Update: Within five of Newt in … Georgia?

posted at 8:50 pm on February 23, 2012 by Tina Korbe

In a GOP primary in which all four GOP candidates face the rare prospect of a home-state loss, Rick Santorum looks like he might be able to pull off a win in Pennsylvania, after all. Washington Wire calls attention to a new Franklin and Marshall College poll that has good news for the former senator from the Keystone State:

Mr. Santorum [now leads] former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney 45 percent to 16 percent. The other two candidates are in single digits: Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich comes it at 9 percent and Ron Paul at 7 percent.

Mr. Santorum’s victories in Colorado, Minnesota and Missouri in early February could be prompting Pennsylvania Republicans to take another look. His favorability rating has soared to 63 percent from 46 percent in January. Mr. Romney’s favorability, meanwhile, has dipped slightly, to 40 percent from 46 percent.

Tellingly, Republicans in the state cite a strong moral character (36 percent) or the right experience (23 percent) as the most important qualifications for a presidential candidate to possess. Just 18 percent cite a candidate’s ability to beat Obama and an even smaller percentage — just 13 — say it’s most important that a candidate be a true conservative.

The poll was conducted from Feb. 14 to Feb. 20, though, so it doesn’t take into account reactions to last night’s debate, which probably hurt more than helped Santorum. Then again, just 13 percent of those polled cited the prior GOP debates as a reason for their choice of whom to support. Twelve percent said the debates made no difference at all.

Franklin and Marshall’s findings on the general election are less hopeful for Santorum — or the GOP, in general. Barack Obama leads all the GOP candidates in hypothetical head-to-head match-ups. Both Romney and Santorum — the president’s closest challengers — trail by eight points. Since January, Santorum’s chances against the president have improved in the state, but the president’s job performance and reelect ratings have improved, too. Pennsylvania will definitely be a state to watch in the general election; it was a hard win for Obama in 2008 and it will be again in 2012.

Update (Allahpundit): Speaking of losing on your home turf, I’m thinking this might finish Newt off if it happens:

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich leads the pack in the first Rasmussen Reports survey of the Republican Primary race in his home state of Georgia. A new telephone survey of Likely Georgia Republican Primary Voters shows Gingrich with 33% support, followed by former Senator Rick Santorum at 28%. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney runs third with 20% of the vote, and Texas Congressman Ron Paul trails with nine percent (9%).

Georgia is one of three southern states scheduled for Super Tuesday, but Newt’s not on the ballot in one of the others (Virginia) so he needs to win at home and in Tennessee to prove that he’s still a regional force. If Santorum bumps him off in his home state, it’s hard to see why he’d go forward. All it would do is help Romney by siphoning off conservative votes from Sweater Vest and there’s no reason for Newt to want to do that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think.

Now, anyway.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Funny, I thought it was this one. http://liberal4life.tumblr.com/

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

But it does beg the question, if she moves out of the country, will she still blog on Hot Air?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

She’s gone once the boy king is done.

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Warted, Fearless, Consistent, Conservative.

did I mention warted?

SANTORUM 2012!!!

PappyD61 on February 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Sure. Several posters don’t live here.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Hey, you whiners about Social issues…..

Libs/ Progressives give it not a second thought to push their religion of GOVERNMENT CONTROL at every opportunity.

And they push Gay marriage, Abortion, Welfare, Infanticide (Obama in Illinois) and we’re just supposed to keep our traps shut?

NO MORE.

Conservatives have been castrated since the 1988 GOP Convention but let’s hope that has ended.

PappyD61 on February 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Funny, I thought it was this one. http://liberal4life.tumblr.com/

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Interesting. But I would think it would have kept the theme of all caps here.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Actually, “she” is annoying but behaves. (Can’t believe I’m saying this) Some of the spin doctors here shilling for their guys are much more vitriolic.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

If I had my ‘druthers, I’d keep libtard4life and 86 a couple of other commenters who are ostensibly on our side.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Liz Cheney is one of the few that could make me miss Hannity or even Juan Williams.

iwasbornwithit on February 23, 2012 at 9:41 PM

ANYONE from the Bush/Dole/McCain Years should be banished from the GOP.

PappyD61 on February 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I know, right?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I wish we’d all at least try to be a bit more pragmatic about the process. The truth is that half the folks posting here do it as part of organized campaigning groups. Can’t be denied.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It seems that way, although I would expect them to be a little more professional about it. The viciousness with which they take apart the candidates, as well as some of the intellectually dishonest tactics, resemble more that of the far left than the typical thoughtfulness and logical coherence more often seen in the conservative movement.
I often fear we are doing irreparable damage even before the left gets their chance at our candidates.

neuquenguy on February 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Blogging format doesn’t require them to use their names or identify the PAC that sponsors them. Negative ads and mud slighing moves the electorate. What would they hold back for?

That’s been my contention for a long time. I joined The Conservative Party because I firmly believe the GOP, my party of more than 30 years, has been co-opted by Progressives no better than the Donks themselves. Sorry but it’s true. Look at the litmus test that makes Conservatives within the party unelectable or worthy of staying home for.

neuquenguy on February 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

There is not a way to say that more succinctly or with more truth. We’re failing ourselves.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Interesting. But I would think it would have kept the theme of all caps here.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Good point. I can’t give her credit for being smart enough to do it intentionally. You may have the correct one. Either way they both are just ugly little lib girls. Hairy pits no dates, probably a crack problem.

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

slinging, I means to say. My computer is against me.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don’t honestly know. The atrocious grammar on liberal4life’s twitter doesn’t jibe with the coherence he/she shows here.

Whereas the tumblr LIBERAL4LIFE’s more coherent, it doesn’t mean either of us can’t be wrong. Or they could be the same person. But blacks generally substitute numbers for letters. Not to paint all blacks with a broad brush, but that’s where it originated in popular culture.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM

She has never responded to me once. I have quoted her a 1000 times. She ever respond to you? The reason I ask is I figured I hit a nerve. She doesn’t shave those pits and she hates the fact that I know the Dalai Lama. Amongst other things I was using off that site to comment back at her. One thing is for sure. The boy king is done in November and with him will be her appetite for posting here.

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Thanks for the discussion, I feel pretty much the same as you do about the race, the candidates and the GOP, will have to check out the conservative party. I don’t believe that liberty is compatible with social progressivisim no matter how fiscal conservative one might be. In the meantime I think any of our guys would be much better than Obama and can beat him in nobember if we start doing it right.
Good night.

neuquenguy on February 23, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Doesn’t matter. The point has been made.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Lanceman 1
l4l 0

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Because the moochers might have to get a job to eat.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Interesting. But I would think it would have kept the theme of all caps here.

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I was thinking heroin!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Bmore on February 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Then I’d guess she’s the one you had. The tumblr one. I think all black women shave their pits. The twitter one may just be a liberal because she’s black. Plus, the bad grammar would indicate she’s not

Lanceman on February 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I will move out of America if Santorum wins.

These polls will change come next week. He got hammered last night.

liberal4life on February 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

You ARE Alec Baldwin!
You’re having a field day today huh?
Fresh diaper?

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I will move out of America if Santorum wins.

liberal4life on February 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM

and move where? Yeah Johnny depp and Madonna can afford to live the way they want. But the typical ows is going to get the rude awakening trying to survive in another western nation without connections.

AH_C on February 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Taking our eye off the ball much?

I guess it’s time to stock up on gold bullion…

TMOverbeck on February 24, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Corrupt Politicians:

In 2006, Santorum was named the “Most Corrupt Politician” by a political watchdog group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington. The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported that Santorum took the most cash from corporate lobbyists of any other politician in Washington, adding that Santorum “has a black belt in hypocrisy”
(10/22/2006).

In 2006, Santorum faced difficulties in his quest for a third term. Corruption allegations dogged him everywhere he went. He trailed his Democrat opponent by double digits for most of the campaign. To try to siphon votes away from Santorum’s opponent, many of his supporters helped finance a Green Party candidate. There were suspicions that Santorum’s campaign may have violated some federal election laws. Ultimately, the Green Party candidate was denied access to the ballot and Santorum lost his seat in the Senate. The Democrat won with 59% of the vote to Santorum’s 41%. It was the biggest margin of loss for an incumbent Republican senator in US history.

Santorum supported the invasion of Iraq. In 2006, he announced that weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq – a claim later proven false.

Santorum’s interest in weather services wasn’t limited to penalizing Americans who didn’t obey the federal weatherman. Just two days before he introduced a bill that benefited private weather services, he was paid thousands of dollars from… a private weather service.

Among other legislative favors, Santorum was given six thousand dollars from Miller Brewing just half a year after Santorum introduced legislation to cut taxes on large brewing companies. He received three thousand dollars from US Tobacco Corp. the day after he voted against a tobacco regulation bill. The list of favors to his campaign contributors goes on and on. Taking money from corporations and then voting for legislation that favors them is called corruption.

Rick Santorum: The ultimate Insider, Senate Liaison to The K-Street Project, and Corrupt Lobbyist

The K-Street Project: Grover Norquist, Tom Delay, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich

The Gang of Four: Starring Jack Abramoff, Tom Delay, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich

mountainaires on February 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

(10/22/2006).
mountainaires on February 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’d caution anyone on this site to fact check anything written by The Post Gazette. . . it has a huge liberal bias.

cmsciulli on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM