Controversy of the day: The Rick Santorum/Ron Paul post-debate handshake

posted at 9:25 pm on February 23, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yes, it’s this slow of a news day.

BuzzFeed has a round-up of tweets from angry Paul fans but even The Blaze seems surprised at the vigor with which Santorum shook a 76-year-old man’s hand. I’m surprised too. Not because Sweater Vest is trying to tear his arm off or whatever the going theory is but because it seems plain as day to me that it’s a playful joke, a comically exaggerated handshake to underscore the fact that Paul was very, very tough on him at the debate. I thought there’d be more bad blood between them but Santorum pats him on the back too as Paul is standing up. In fact, watch this video of the two of them and Rick Perry joking around backstage before the CBS debate in November. As much as we’d like to believe these passionate ideological differences translate into personal tension — and they do, I’m sure, to some small extent — after 20 debates these guys must have a certain rapport with each other. I remember someone tweeting just last night that as CNN came back from commercial, Gingrich could be seen sharing a hearty laugh with … Romney, the guy he’s been ripping on for months for having sunk him in Iowa with endless negative ads. I’d bet that among most prominent pols there’s actually an ethic that compels civility when dealing with an opponent face to face, if only to prove that you’re professional enough, and your skin is thick enough, that you can take the daily insults and still keep your cool. Nothing untoward here, I think, although I’d be curious to know Paul’s reaction.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“A man become pre-eminent, he is expected to have Enthusiasms!! Enthusiasms!! Enthusiasms!”

williamg on February 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I shake hands like that all the time with friends. Especially “Dudes” with whom I have a “dude” friendship. That is a friendly, gregarious, disarming handshake that one would expect from someone who wants to demonstrate… “No hard feelings, bro.” Only a wuss would think Santorum was being rude. Just the opposite. He was being friendly. Was it “Presidential”? – NO! Was it “relational” and friendly… YES!

kburchard on February 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Robert DeNiro speaks with Ron Paul and a group of his supporters – and Bob has something SPECIAL for Ron himself, when Ron interrupts him by repeating the word “Team” at the end of his speech:

williamg on February 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Thank you for that charming look into your healthy and not-in-any-way-unbalanced psyche.

RINO in Name Only on February 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Fauxtroversy of the day. Smells like facebook.

tuffy on February 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I think Paul forgot the “secret” handshake.

mr_west on February 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM

The right hand back slap tells the whole story that this was made in jest…

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM

At the end of the day, I think the parties respect each other the way athletic rivals grow to respect one another after beatingthe hell out of each other…

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I miss baseball: I hate to get older knowing I will never enjoy the fun associated with playing a simple game with wonderful subtlety…

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Not that anyone cares, but I was a catcher whose strength was in calling the game and handling the pitchers…I’d give anything to play one more game as a catcher…oh well, time for bed…

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Hello

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Good night.

RedSoxNation on February 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Anyone ever see John Malkovich in The Great Buck Howard? (If so, you’ll know this is not off topic).

DrMagnolias on February 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I found Romney turning to Gringrich much more interesting. It looks like he sticks his hand out to shake but I can’t see whether Gingrich returns the gesture or not but Romney turns away immediately and heads for the other candidates.

rhombus on February 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Note to self: Next person I see, I will shake their hands like that. Since I am an adopted Pennsylvanian I expect some controversy to emerge here in my local media.

He’s not a fake, Paulbots, get it?

ProudPalinFan on February 24, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I think Santorum was already mentally in the bathroom.

Archivarix on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

In this part of the country, when you are seated and another man approaches to shake hands with you, or a woman approaches for whatever reason, you un-ass your chair as a show of respect.

Doesn’t matter, unless you want to put up a billboard, whether you like the individual or not, you get on your feet. That’s the way a Texas daddy raises his sons. The only exception is that you are infirmed to the degree that you cannot get to your feet.

It looked to me that Sen. Santorum gave a pull to help Rep/Doctor Paul out of his char and Paul went limp on him. I know that Rep/Doctor Paul is also from Texas, and he knows what I just stated. So, why didn’t he rise to greet another man? If the reason was physical, maybe he needs to exit stage right.

WestTexasBirdDog on February 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Rick was applying the “Evil Undead” test.

Shake the arm hard and if it falls off, Gramps really is a zombie.

cane_loader on February 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM

“a fake??”‘. Paul is a kook, plain and simple

jake49 on February 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Santorum did that because of the atmosphere of violence created by Sarah Palin.

Crusty on February 24, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I think Santorum was already mentally in the bathroom.

Archivarix on February 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM

And he was inviting Ron Paul to join him.

CorporatePiggy on February 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM

williamg on February 23, 2012 at 11:37 PM

RINO in Name Only on February 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

No – thank YOU. If that is what YOU took from SOMEONE posting a You Tube clip from a movie that THEY did not write or direct, to coalesce, mock and draw attention to the “beyond the pale” hysteria propagated by the Paulnuts – and to underline it with humor — then YOU need SERIOUS Medical help.

Fortunately for you, your candidate has signed a health bill into law that will solve ALL of your problems!

Get a Life!

williamg on February 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

WestTexasBirdDog on February 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I don’t know who you are – but YOU have found the TRUTH in this “Non-Story” that Allahpundit is touting and dissembling about.

williamg on February 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM

williamg on February 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Dude, you are a freakshow.

Dante on February 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

williamg on February 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Dude, you are a freakshow.

Dante on February 24, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well – you’re the authority on those.

And you – are an Obama-supporter.

williamg on February 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM

kburchard on February 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Totally agre. I like Santorum even more now. He’s a “dude”.
Not like Mr Stick-up-my-butt (Obama).
I bet his wife would feel at home at a BBQ – without arugula.

Shambhala on February 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Much ado about nada.

Ron Paul supporters a weird bunch. They’ll cry fowl/wolf etc over anything. They’re almost liberal-like.

RedbonePro on February 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM