What I’d love to see at tonight’s debate: Ashes

posted at 2:45 pm on February 22, 2012 by Tina Korbe

It is Ash Wednesday, after all, and, if Joe Biden is willing to sport soot in public, then surely Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum will be, too.

Why do I want to see smudged crosses on their foreheads? It’s not because I want more folks to accuse Santorum of running to be “theologian in chief” or to question the sincerity of Newt Gingrich’s conversion, as thoughtful as those accusations and questions generally are (not). It’s also not so I have to field questions from areligious friends who think Christian (and specifically Catholic) customs like this one are odd, fun as that is (not). Nope — it’s because the ashes Catholics and some Protestants receive on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday are a symbol of something it’s always good to remember: “We are dust and to dust we shall return.” That puts everything in perspective, doesn’t it?

‘Course, Christians agree with Henry W. Longfellow when he wrote, “‘Dust thou art to dust returnest’ was not spoken of the soul.” That invests everything with meaning — but it also subordinates temporal matters (like politics!) to eternal ones.

But even non-Christians can benefit from remembering the one inevitability of life. “It is the first part of intelligence to recognize our precarious estate in life and the first part of courage to be not at all abashed before the fact,” as Robert Louis Stevenson put it. Time is running out on all of us: Why not be bold in the solutions we pursue to whatever problems we face?

If Gingrich and Santorum are ashless, though, I won’t question their dedication to their faith: Contrary to popular perception, today is not a holy day of obligation in the Catholic Church.

Update I: Ed said a contact at the Santorum campaign says he has no idea whether Santorum will wear ashes this evening and Guy Benson says Newt Gingrich has confirmed that he won’t be attending Mass today and, so, won’t be wearing ashes tonight.

Update II: According to Rick Klein via Guy Benson, Santorum is campaigning in Arizona with ashes on his head, so it’s probable he’ll still have ‘em this evening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

What I’d like to see at tonight’s debate: ashes.

What I’d like to not hear at tonight’s debate: any voluntary commentary on ashes or any other aspect of religion at all.

HitNRun on February 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I doubt either will have ashes, if only because both will be in makeup chairs ahead of the debate.

Red Cloud on February 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Ted Turner looks foward to making degrading remarks about it.

Flange on February 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Oh Tina, now you’ve gone and done it! Loins girded for the anti-theist onslaught! And forehead adorned!

Trafalgar on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Mitt Romney is unelectable

Eph on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

That’s good, because I’m still searching for that part of the Gospel, or New Testament, which places one’s faith in ashes … and not in Jesus Christ … period.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Gee, I’d like to see…Fast and Furious…being discussed.

Rational Thought on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Will AtheistPundit be ashed?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Eph on February 22, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Maureen Dowd will faint if Santorum shows up with ashes on his forehead.

forest on February 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Before the verbal onslaught begins, please remember: Atheists comprise only 8% of America’s population, per Gallup.

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I smell a conspiracy coming,those nasty Catholics trying to corner the Catholic vote against the Mormon. I do hope Santorum and Gingrich show up with ashes on their foreheads, I’m sure someone will say something about it.

bflat879 on February 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

ok

How about a question about nuclear energy in Americaland?

Jeddite on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Of course the moderators will ask nothing but questions on religion and anyone who answers will be accused of injecting religion into the campaign and attempting to impose their beliefs on everybody else.

tommyboy on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Whatever so long as the GOP hurries up and gets their ash together.

HotAirian on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

It doesn’t go with hot lights or the TV makeup. You won’t see it.

RBMN on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Me too. TRUE conservatives need to SEIZE the RINO establishment and BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!!

Oh, those ashes… *sheepishly tiptoes into the other room*. Yes, er, um, ah-hem: I too was referring to Ash Wednesday.

RINO in Name Only on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Geez, next thing you know Tina will be giving us ladies another lesson on dressing modestly.

DaydreamBeliever on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I hope Santorum and Newt don’t wear ashes. Leave that to those like Biden and Pelosi.

sharrukin on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

“Look at those pandering Republicans.”

“Look at those thoughtful Democrats.”

- MSM

rogerb on February 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I doubt we’ll see it. It would be nice though just to hear/see the liberal heads explode.

D-fusit on February 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Mitt Romney is unelectable

Eph on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

..and you think Santorum is?

Tater Salad on February 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

HitNRun on February 22, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Unfortunately, Sanatorium will make sure that doesn’t happen

kastor on February 22, 2012 at 2:53 PM

No, ashes just don’t do it for me. Now, if one of them shows up with a six pack, a frisbee, and a transistor radio…I know who I’M voting for.

birdhurd on February 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

IMO, if Santorum comes with his ashes on, it will probably sink him even further.

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Why?

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Celebrating today is not at all what we have in common. And Easter is deliberately not on Passover to emphasize the difference.

thuja on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The last thing this primary thing needs is more focus on religion. Are any of them muslim? Muslim sympathizers? Muslim apologists? No? Well guess who is? Obama. So, let’s focus on how you’re gonna beat him instead of who’s better at pandering to the evangelicals.

Cyhort on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’d like to see the debate stick to the real issues such as Obamacare, high gas prices,unemployment and out of control spending. Getting into a discussion on religion is not what the voters want to hear.
I would like to see the candidates not let CNN waste their time by talking about irrelevant topics and keep the debate focuses on the disastrous policies of Barack Obama.
Keep the bible in the draw.

NeoKong on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

RINO in Name Only on February 22, 2012 at 2:52 PM

LOL

Bitter Clinger on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

What?

Where is there any faith put in ashes? As a Catholic I got mine this morning, and rest assured it’s still Christ I have all my faith in.

Tina basically explained the reason for the ashes…it is from ashes we come, and to ashes we shall return. It’s a reminder of that.

JetBoy on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

What I’d love to see at tonight’s debate:

All 4 slapping the $*it out of whichever Obama- fluffer CNN brings up !!

burrata on February 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

There’s a chevy volt joke in here somewhere.

the_nile on February 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Preacher in Chief candidate Sanctorum must sport his ashes so as to remind we heathens to practice Rick-Approved® sexual relations after the debate. And also to ward off the influence of Satan who will be inhabiting every Protestant in the auditorium.

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Ashes would have great meaning but the socialist national media would turn it into an instant scandal, while they ignore real scandals like Fast and Furious and Solyndra.

Chip on February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

The chances that you’ll see ashes are about at 0.0001 %.

RBMN on February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Lame. Your candidate’s still behind nationally, bluegill. Try something else.

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Maureen Dowd will faint if Santorum shows up with ashes on his forehead.

forest on February 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Santorum could’t give her a better gift.

rhombus on February 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Anything Santorum does is going to make the people who hate him hate him even more. I honestly think anyone involved has already decided who they want and everything else at this point will be confirmation of what they already believe.

BakerAllie on February 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Of course Santorum will show up with ashes, for the same reason Koufax didn’t pitch on Yom Kippur.

Emperor Norton on February 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I gotta say, there’s nothing like the spectacle of GOP primary candidates making ostentatious displays of religious faith and affiliation in a political debate. One can only hope Ron Paul starts speaking in tongues. Oh, wait: Ron Paul is an Episcopalian. Episcopalians don’t espouse glossalia. It only seems like Ron Paul is speaking in tongues.

troyriser_gopftw on February 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

If Rick wears ashes, it will fit in with the line of interrogation he will receive about his religious beliefs and criticism of Protestantism. Darned if he does, darned if he doesn’t.

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Chip on February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Sadly, this is so true.

Bitter Clinger on February 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

After they all don ashes for the show they can Tebow to emphasize how serious they are.

whatcat on February 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

JetBoy on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Lots of folks are mindful of that even without a little smudge on their forehead.

Rational Thought on February 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM

So they wear ashes to show the rest of us how holy they are? Is that what you’re saying?

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Invite Obama. He’s the biggest ash of all.

The Rogue Tomato on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

*facepalm?

MeatHeadinCA on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

There is no New Testament basis for the tradition so it only means something to Catholics. I don’t see the rest of us Christians concerned one way or another.

Rose on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

BakerAllie on February 22, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Yeah, well with the fluctuation of polls, there is a least 30% out there who are still clueless.

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

What?

JetBoy on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You must’ve missed this part of her quote – which I emphasized:

I thought it good of her, to not question one’s FAITH, by the non-wearing of ashes.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM

….bluegill…..

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Awwwwww…..you are just so precious with your little tinfoil hat with the propeller on top.

lol

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

thuja on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

So then… are non-Christians immortal, or do they simply not decompose after dying?

Mr. Prodigy on February 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 2:49 PM

We don’t worship the ashes, they are used as a sign of repentance.
The rite of using ashes as a sign of repentance pre-dates the New Testament. There are references to it in Job, Jeremia, and Daniel.

SPCOlympics on February 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I would like to see some stigmata.

Separate the true faithful from the poseurs.

Pablo Honey on February 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’ll show you that part if you show me where the Bible claims to be the sole rule of faith for Christians, let alone the part where disciplinary issues like ashes or, say, adding ‘for thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory’ to the Our Father are forbidden.

No Catholic puts faith in ashes, fool.

GoodSamaritan on February 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM

thuja on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yeah, excpet that Passover this year runs from April 6th – 14th, and Easter is April 8th. Fact is that Easter always overlaps with Passover.

Trafalgar on February 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

So, now you’re going to disparage Catholicism, bluegill?
Classy.

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I would like to see some stigmata.

Separate the true faithful from the poseurs.

Pablo Honey on February 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I approve this message. ;)

GoodSamaritan on February 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

JetBoy on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yes, I make it a point to frequent conservative political blogs in order to receive my daily dose of Catholic instruction. Did I mention that, as a Protestant, I don’t care about Catholic ritual or practices? At all? Ever? I also understand Mitt Romney is a Mormon. Guess what? Don’t care about that, either. All of these tidbits of theological potpourri are absolutely irrelevant to a stealth socialist takeover of the federal government and the impending collapse of the American economy. That I care about.

troyriser_gopftw on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I’m giving up Lent for Lent.

catmman on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

This election cycle is so weird, I mean really, do we really care if he wears ashes or not? Why is the conservative media so willingly playing into the MSM religious obsession? WHO CARES.

nswider on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Biden should wear an ash mark year round. It’s obvious his brain reverted to ash decades ago.

Dack Thrombosis on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Nice try, but no. Hint: read the Catechism of the Catholic Church or at least spend a minute on Catholic Encyclopedia before posting such foolishness.

GoodSamaritan on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

d-cRAT socialist stooge John King’s “objective” questions:

1. Do you support “FREE” contraceptives as part of a woman’s ABSOLUTE RIGHT to health?
2. What are your views on SATAN?
3. Should any woman vote for santorum?
4. How will you help our great president fight the current bush-caused gas-price increases?
5. Will you, like our great president, reduce terrible taxes like the payroll tax on the middle class?
6. Will you poison Americans with BAD AIR by not giving BILLIONS of tax dollars to far-sighted “capitalists” to promote “clean” energy?
7. Do you want to kill women by NOT providing them with taxpayer-funded abortions?
8. Will you destroy our children’s future by not increasing even further the gold-plated benefits and humongous salaries of our union teachers/socialist-indoctrinators?
9. Do you oppose AFFIRMATIVE ACTION SPECIAL TREATMENT, which has done so much to ensure “equality” in America? (NB: even leftist king will find it hard NOT to laugh at that one.)
10. Please tell us all that you will do to makes things better in America if you are elected president. Please be specific; you have 10 seconds to respond.

NB: ALL of king’s questions will have been pre-approved by the OBOZO white house and by george soros’ media matters

TeaPartyNation on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

JetBoy on February 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Rational Thought on February 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Also, Tina is incorrect on this. The ashes are a symbol of repentance, not of mortality.

whatcat on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

“there’s nothing like the spectacle of GOP primary candidates making ostentatious displays of religious faith and affiliation in a political debate”

Sure there is. Nothing compares to atheists making ostentatious displays of their disbelief and defining themselves by what they don’t believe in. That kills me every time.

tommyboy on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Philly on February 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Hey, he made his bed though. He made it! He drives the narrative by constantly brining it up.

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Ashes come from burned palms. Joe better watch for global warming problems.

IlikedAUH2O on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

nswider on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

It’s important to Tina, obviously, and I’m fine with that. If she wants to write about the topic, that’s fine too. If you don’t want to read it, that’s fine too.

Dack Thrombosis on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Ashes or not…this being Arizona, Fast and Furious better get brought up tonight and all things related to it and our country or I will be upset! These 20+ debates have been mostly side shows for the MSM to mock our candidates w/o talking about REAL issues of the day.

Good nite all…not on here too long tonite.

Go Romney!

g2825m on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I would like to see ashes in November after Barack Obama’s reelection campaign is burnt to the ground.

Kataklysmic on February 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

This whole religion thing is really bringing people together and solving relevant problems.

IlikedAUH2O on February 22, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I would like to see some stigmata.

Separate the true faithful from the poseurs.

Pablo Honey on February 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

LOL. And a crown of thorns! That’ll show who’s got true religion!

Rational Thought on February 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Dack Thrombosis on February 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Thanks for the permission, my larger point is the media is driving a narrative and I just wish conservatives would not be so willing to play into it.

nswider on February 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I want to hear IDEAS!

I don’t want to hear attacks.
I don’t want to hear contraception.
I don’t want to hear non-related national issues.

I want to hear about energy!(the abolishment of the department)
I want to hear about education!(the abolishment of the department)
I want to hear about defense!
I want to hear about repealing of Obamacare!
I want to heat about removing regulations!
I want to hear about Tax Cuts!

Kini on February 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM

We don’t worship the ashes, they are used as a sign of repentance.

SPCOlympics on February 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I’m not going to debate this. I don’t believe in form over substance. I don’t believe in symbolism, or works, over faith, and faith only, in Jesus Christ. I don’t believe in images, or in crosses, or in Priests, or in men.

I believe in Jesus Christ, and my faith is in Jesus Christ … period. My faith does not require the sporting of ashes, or the wearing of crosses, or the crossing of my chest, or in the bowing down to images … or to men.

I’ve said all that I’m going to.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

To Catholics the ashes represent our mortality and are an outward sign of our sinfulness and repentance. A key element to wearing ashes is that we do so humbly, certainly not with pride.

Trafalgar on February 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

This just out earlier on Romney’s tax plan:

Yet take a step back and consider the following: Romney wants to a) slash income tax rates by 20 percent, b) lower corporate tax rates by 30 percent, c) reform Social Security by gradually raising the retirement age and indexing benefit growth for higher-income retirees to inflation instead of wages, d) create a premium-support Medicare system for younger workers, and e) cut government spending by $500 billion during his first term. If Romney does become the Republican nominee, he would certainly be running on the boldest GOP agenda since Reagan, maybe ever.

They could talk about this tonight…

g2825m on February 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

whatcat on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Both, actually.

There are three sentences the priest or minister might say during the imposition of the ashes:

“Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.”
“Remember, you are dust, and to dust you shall return.”
“Turn away from sin and be faithful to the Gospel.”

steebo77 on February 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

The community organizer ever done this?

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I’m not going to debate this.

Good, as you’re obviously not qualified to do so. Moving on.

GoodSamaritan on February 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM

What I’d love to see at tonight’s debate: Brains. Or ashes, in absence thereof.

Archivarix on February 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Oh look! Your little propeller is spinning like crazy!

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Catholics should wipe the ashes from their foreheads in embarrassment immediately following Mass? Is that what you’re saying?

steebo77 on February 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM

What I’d like to see?

How about a GOP candidate that doesn’t get bogged down in issues like which Protestant Churches are Christian Churches and which aren’t? Or not getting involved in debates about the “dangers” of contraception among married people?

Can we have a GOP candidate that actually talks about issues that they can actually address as President.

BradTank on February 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Ashes or not, I would hope a couple of the candidates would at least manage to find a way to inject the price of gas into the discussion, and how it has gone up under Obama. This, to me, needs to be pounded home every opportunity because it is something everyone can relate to and is being hurt by.

silvernana on February 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

whatcat on February 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Actually you are both correct; the ashes do symbolize repentance and as the priest crosses your forehead with the ashes he always says this:

Remember that thou art dust, and to dust thou shalt return.
—Genesis 3:19

cynccook on February 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

What I’d like to see at tonight’s debate: SMOD

Good Lt on February 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hahahaha, seriously?? These news commentators have no clue it’s Ash Wednesday?

Sad.

BocaJuniors on February 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Trafalgar on February 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Thanks for the explanation. How do they square it with Matt 6:16-18?

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM

BradTank on February 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Bingo. The best thing any of these guys can do tonight when John King makes this debate “the social issues hour” is to tell him to stuff it and turn it back to the economy. The moderators tonight just want to make our guys look nuts, so I hope our candidates dont play into this stuff.

nswider on February 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quick, csd. Log off your server and get back on as bluegill.

kingsjester on February 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Rose on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Catholics, Anglicans, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and some Baptists all celebrate Ash Wednesday.

steebo77 on February 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

You know what would be swell? A thread for Protestants and Catholics to bash each other’s faith. Each side could hurl biblical verses back and forth to substantiate their arguments. Sort of like Dueling Banjos, but without the love.

a capella on February 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

That’s right, let’s draw attention to moronic religious rituals instead of stupid little things like the economy (which, incidentally, is exactly what Joe Biden is doing: can you possibly imagine why?). This is the way to win the election.

Armin Tamzarian on February 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM

If they wear the ashes, than people will complain about them “grandstanding” and if they don’t, they are not serious…
It won’t matter what they do, the Mitt-wits will demean them, that’s just the way they are…

right2bright on February 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

nswider on February 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Considering Gingrich, Sanctorum, and Paul are nuts, it isn’t very hard to get them to show that side of themselves.

csdeven on February 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

rubberneck on February 22, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You should have waited.

Because tomorrow depending whether he did or did not you could have said, “Oh, he was marked for Ash Wednesday. He’s a zealot. Now his campaign is sunk.”

Or …

“Oh wow, he didn’t get marked for Ash Wednesday. I guess he’s afraid to show his faith. What a hypocrite. Now his campaign is sunk.”

You need to think your spin through.

hawkdriver on February 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I’ve said all that I’m going to.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM

That’s good, because what you’re saying proves that you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. You certainly don’t understand the Roman Catholic faith, that’s for sure.

Shump on February 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM

What I’d love to see at tonight’s debate: Sound Economic Policy!

antisense on February 22, 2012 at 3:20 PM